Sparrow Electric

6.4

LAST UPDATED: September 29th, 2022

In 2015, Sparrow Electric was founded to provide residential, commercial, and custom electric services. In 2018, two leaders in the Utah solar industry joined the company and Sparrow Electric shifted its focus from providing comprehensive electrical services to focusing solely on residential solar installation. Since then, the company has sold and installed over 4,000 solar systems (and counting).

From start to finish, the Sparrow Electric team oversees the entire solar installation process for all residential clients. A group of professionals is assigned to each solar project and is available for questions and communication every step of the way.

Live in Utah or the greater Dallas Fort Worth area? Read on to learn about what Sparrow Electric offers to prospective solar customers.

Video Customer Reviews

Melissa MacPherson Customer Review Video About Sparrow Electric

Melissa MacPherson

The Good

• Top-Tier Solar Equipment
  • Extensive Warranty Coverage
  • NABCEP Certification
  • No Upfront Cost

Top-Tier Solar Equipment

With a 25-year manufacturer’s equipment warranty, the solar installer builds solar panel systems that are built to last. The company installs equipment from a variety of manufacturers, including but not limited to panels from Trina Solar and solar micro-inverters from Enphase. Both manufacturers are considered leaders in the industry.

For example, Trina solar panels average as much as 19.9 percent energy efficiency and come with a 10-year warranty, while Enphase’s industry-leading inverters come with a 25-year warranty.

Extensive Warranty Coverage

Sparrow Electric’s equipment and workmanship warranties are considered industry-leading at 25 years. Sparrow Electric’s 10-year production guarantee ensures that your panels will work efficiently; if your system output falls short of projections, the company will install additional panels at no cost to you.

NABCEP Certification

Sparrow Electric employs engineers and designers that have been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP). The NABCEP is a solar industry-recognized organization that promotes best practices and industry standards through its rigorous certification exams.

Companies with this certification distinguish themselves as true experts in solar energy.

No Upfront Cost

Through solar panel financing, there are no upfront costs or out-of-pocket expenses when you go solar with Sparrow Electric. Additionally, Sparrow Electric can help customers obtain solar financing regardless of credit score.

The Bad

• Financing Specifics
  • No Leasing Option

Financing Specifics

While customers can rest assured that Sparrow Electric will help them find the best financing option for them post-consultation, specific details such as financing partners, lowest interest rates available, and loan transferability are not currently available on the company's website. Your sales rep can provide this information to you.

No Leasing Option

It does not appear that Sparrow Electric offers PPAs (Power Purchase Agreements) or leasing options. PPAs and leases provide solar customers of varying budgets and energy needs with access to solar power. While arguably less valuable to a homeowner since the panels do not belong to them, these options are nonetheless helpful to consumers who can't afford to make monthly loan payments.

The Bottom Line

Sparrow Electric stands out from other solar companies with its founding roots in electrical expertise. The company's quality of equipment and scope of warranty coverage should give consumers additional peace of mind. Plus, all professional installers with Sparrow Electric are NABCEP-certified and have undergone the necessary training to effectively install solar systems.

Considering all factors, prospective solar customers in Salt Lake City, Dallas, and surrounding areas should consider Sparrow Electric as a compelling option as they shop out options for solar and electrical services.

View Best Solar Companies

Message from
Sparrow Electric

At Sparrow Electric, our goal is to provide our clients with the best solar system, specifically designed for their home and historic power consumption.

We are transparent in our presentation, no gimmicks, and feel that presenting something to you that you can trust is more important than presenting something just to sell you.

We sell, install, and service all locally, with work done by skilled electricians.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

3.6

Beth

They are really responsive. We did have an issue with one of our panels failing and they responded very quickly, although it did take a long time to get the repair but that was not their fault it was just because of supply issues. They came out and fixed at no cost to us it was great. They were very communicative. It's easy to tell if it's working because they have an app you can look and see what power is being generated. If there is a problem it's easy to catch it pretty quickly.

Beth thanks for the nice review. Glad you enjoy your system. George Hofmann COO

David

They mislead people with the how they explain the tax credit to customers before they buy panels. They have some very high end components. We don't really have any big issues as far as I remember. It went on a schedule and they got done as it was promised. We had a few issues at the beginning and they were able to solve them after they were installed and they were helpful along the way.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Not sure what happened, all of our material explains the tax credits may vary and you should consult your CPA to find out about your individual tax situation. Sorry for that, but glad the rest of the process worked as it should. George Hofmann COO

Shane

They answered all my questions and were quick to come over and sit down with me my family and show us what they can do. In the middle of Covid pandemic it was a little hard to get a hold of somebody. They get their team over here to help me address any situation. Installation went smooth and it seemed like it didn't take very long. They were very friendly, jumped in quickly and they were on their way. I am very glad I got the solar panels, it saves me so much money on my electric bill so I am very, very happy and satisfied.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Shane, glad the panels save your money. If you would like to save/earn more please refer a friend and earn $1,000 if they install. George Hofmann COO

Troy

I just met them at the community function but the guy that helped us was very helpful and straight forward. Installation went fairly well, one of the installers did fall through the ceiling and we had to wait for a while to have that patched up. It'd be great to have backup batteries, I've seen billboards for other companies that do offer that with an installation for free.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

The battery they offer would likely not power your stove. We do offer one of the best prices on batteries, but honestly if it sounds to good to be true, it most likely is. Give is a call if you want to price out a battery that will power your home. George Hofmann COO

Karen

Customer service could be improved. They kept sending me instructions to connect to our server and it didn't work because we have a new internet server and it took them a month and a half to get out here and help me connect. Seems to be good, I have no complaints other than it took a while.

Gosh Karen, sorry it took so long. Glad its working now. George Hofmann COO

John

I reached out a few times to talk to them about adding a battery and I never got never heard back. They took care of all the permits and everything like that, it was a really good experience from the installation standpoint. I was noticing birds getting underneath the panels and there was a company that came along and added a net around the the bottom of the panels to prevent that and it would have been nice if they would have just done that upfront.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

John reach out to me at 385-271-0181 if you are still interested in batteries. Sorry about the birds, we generally dont find they are a problem. George Hofmann COO

Kristen

We have had issues with it not reading properly, not working properly for weeks on end. There was several weeks and we didn't have any solar being coming in and it was broken and took them weeks to get here and fix them. They installed it on the day they said they would. I had no problems with that.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Glad the system is working now, sorry for the delay, labor shortages have slowed our response ability. George Hofmann COO

Melissa MacPherson utah

Hi, my name is Melissa. I'm from Utah and I heard about Sparrow Electric from a friend of mine. They referred me over and I'm so glad that they did. I enjoyed every part of the process of working with Sparrow from the initial appointment with the sales rep who explained everything to me very patiently because I was a bit of a novice and didn't know about solar. Um Then they also took the time to uh work with the city on my behalf, get all the permits and everything so that I didn't have to worry about that. And then the installation process was also very smooth. The gentleman that came and did got on my roof, they took care of everything and then cleaned out everything was just perfect when they left. It didn't take as long as I expected and the best part for me is just the peace of mind of knowing how much my payment's gonna be every month. I don't have to worry about it fluctuating. And then also the peace of mind of having the 25 year warranty that comes with the solar panels that sparrow put on my roof. I highly recommend Sparrow Electric. I would work with them again if I moved to a new house

Christopher

They have the best financing. Equipment works really well. They should consider including a package to have a cage built around the panels for the birds.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Christopher there is something called Critter Guard that can be installed if you have a bird problem. Its not too pricy and does a nice job. Give us a call if you want them installed. George Hofmann COO

Dylan

I haven't had any problems with it, so it's a good quality. They're very easy to get a hold of and they're super friendly and answer all my questions.

Monica

We were told that we could later add more solar panels (we were grandfathered in) but when we went to add more panels Sparrow more than tripled the cost of each panel, so it was not reasonable to add anymore panels, so we won't be going with them again. We'll find another company.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

I am sure that you have noticed what inflation has done to everything, our costs have really gone up, but we find we are still one of the best values compared to other solar companies. George Hofmann COO

DAVID Q LEBARON Ivins, UT

The whole process was smooth and professional and the solar system has been just what I hoped it would be. The only reason I don't give them a full 5 stars is because a year after the system was installed their billing department tried to re-bill me for a portion of the system. When I tried to get some help with this it was difficult to get a person to respond to me, and when I did I had to prove I had paid off the system by producing my credit card statement showing as much.

Stacey

They put a huge hole in the wall and then when I tried to get them to come out and fix it they refused and said it was not a problem and then finally I got somebody to admit that they had to put a whole on my wall and finally after lots of effort they came out and fixed the whole. Customer service could be better as well as communication and more honesty.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

So sorry Stacey, glad we finally got it taken care of. Honestly labor is a huge issue for us and many other companies right now. George Hofmann COO

Colby

After the initial issues and bumps in the road it's been amazing ever since. Very user friendly, very easy. I can see the panels each individually and they they they produce their great products it was just that initial issue with the installation that was the problem. The needed to redo my roof and there was very poor communication. There was a mess all over my yard and driveway during the process and they damaged some of my property. Once it was installed it took months to become active.

Vickie

The equipment made it through an earthquake and didn't have any problems. Sparrow's always willing to answer questions and they're available.

Vickie thanks for the nice comment. George Hofmann COO

Sam West Jordan, UT

Solar panels seem to be always working great, however, I still have no idea how solar panels are saving me money. Monthly bill still seems like it hasn't changed.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

There are several ways to measure the panels success, one is you can view it on your phone app from sparrow or two call our customer service representative walter at 385-271-0189 and he can help you calculate their production. thanks, please give us a call

Melanie

I couldn't get a hold of people to address the issues that I have. They installed it wrong and had to come back. Seems to work now that they got it going. They just need to be more accurate to things right first time.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Sorry you have had trouble getting in contact with us, if you have issues please reach out to Walter at 385-271-0189 and we sill take care of you

Charlotte

They gave me unrealistic expectations and can't actually deliver what they said. Install was fine, they were quick and fast and seemed to do a good job. They're pretty responsive.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

So sorry for the unrealistic expectations, with the shipping issues going on, getting parts has been more difficult than we expected. Please accept my apology. George Hofmann COO

Paulette

It was really hard to work with them. I had to call back multiple times. We didn't even get our solar up in running until like 2 years maybe 3 years after we started the process. The installation process was pretty quick. They just came and installed. They promised a lot of things and we aren't saving any money.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

If you fell the system is not producing, please call Walter at385-271-0189 he can review the production and if we are not producing what we promised we will honor the production guarantee

Daniel

It went really smoothly, there was no problems. The installers are very friendly and open to questions. It felt good, they are my favorite company.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Daniel so happy the process was good, please refer us to a friend for $1,000 payment to you if they install. George Hofmann COO

Jason

Not a good experience. A lot of issues with their installation to the point where they left my my backyard destroyed and couldn't find any contractors to come at all. The equipment seems to work all right, but I'm making less power than they claimed.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Jason, the system needs to be installed for one year to equalize the power production. We sell the systems to produce and average of your yearly power use, we cant get to the average without going the entire year. The alternative would be to over sell you and over charge you to cover your single highest power use month, and we don't think that is the most cost effective to you. Give us a call at the end of the year if you still feel it is under producing George Hofmann COO

Thane Heninger West Jordan, UT

They installed the solar panels and they have performed well. I recently contacted them for adding to the system. We set an appointment and then I had to reschedule, but was unable to contact them. They haven't followed up.

Jeremy

It just took a lot of permitting, the installation was one day, which is nice, and then they had to do a few things after until the system could be turned on. I think communication could be better.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Thanks Jeremy, we are really working on communication, thank for joining Sparrow!

David

It's done it's job cause we needed little maintenance so that's good. It was a good price and the timing worked out.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

David, glad its working so well can you refer a friend, we reward referrals with $1,000 if the referral installs. George Hofmann COO

Kenneth L Bean Salt Lake City, UT

polite, efficient, always did what they promised -- there was an error on their part and they were back within minutes of our call

Kassy Whetten Tooele, UT

They underestimated our power usage. When trying to get ahold of them to see about a re-evaluation or to see what could be done. I got the run around for over 2 months while someone was "working on it". Finally when someone got back with me who said they had looked into it, they did not have any solutions to offer and I was told it is what it is. Worst customer experience. Worst service as it may have lowered our bill, we don't have enough panels.

Heather

Installation was very smooth, they came out very fast, got it done super quickly.

Edwin

I don't think they checked the usage very well. I'm not getting the savings that I thought I would get.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

We would be happy to go over production with you. Your system needs to be installed an entire year to even out production. If its over a year please call Walter at 385-271-0189 and he will review production levels with you

Reginald Hughes Provo, UT

Their sales rep didn't tell us that our solar system wouldn't work if the grid went down. So we had to purchase a $25,000 backup battery to solve that big problem.

Coby

They are pretty good they help finance. It seems like they have a lot of issues with the system.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Coby if the system is still and issue please call Walter at 385-271-0189 and he will help trouble shoot.

Barbara

The installation process was without any problems.

Will

They were nice and they got the job done fast.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Will, thanks for the nice comment, remember we will reward you with $1,000 if you refer a friend and they install

Dave Tremonton, UT

The app doesent like android and is difficult to get working so I end up not being able to monitor my system from my phone

Courtney

They're easy to work with, they answer all of my questions, they put everything in a really timely manner.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Thanks, glad you joined the sparrow flock

John

Went without solar for 4 months until somebody got off their butt to fix it.

OUCH, I hope its fixed now. Call Walter at 385-271-0189 if you have problems

Tami Christian Orem, UT

They were quick and thorough. Super friendly

Tami, thanks for the nice review. George Hofmann COO

Joesph Wheeler Layton, UT

Professional, friendly, and willing to explain

daniel knutsen Lehi, UT

Very helpful, courteous & willing to answer all my questions along the way.

Rocky Snow Clearfield, UT

Solar Installation and Product knowledgement.Superior Project Management

Their customer support didn't really know what they were doing.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

If you are still having issues, please contact Walter at 385-271-0189. We want to take care of all your issues. George Hofmann COO

Jim

No follow up, wrong parts installed, not meeting production goals, stay away from them.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Jim, if you are still having issues pease call me at 385-271-0181. George Hofmann COO

Greg Northcutt Woods Cross, UT

They did a good job. They fix problems quickly.

Gary Collins Riverton, UT

Valerie is very nice but knowledgeable about the products.

Kelley gee Layton, UT

They did a fantastic job. Everything went pretty smoothly.

David

The installation process was smooth and seamless. I've never had any issues.

Reply from Sparrow Electric

Thanks David, enjoy your system!

Sam Petersen West Jordan, UT

Have no idea why I'm paying so much for my bill?