SolarCity

SolarCity Logo

20 hours ago

SolarCity

Reviews reveal customers' biggest gripe: lack of customer service

Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills. In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the company access to a variety of innovative energy equipment and technology.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of payment options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their solar panel system from SolarCity and pay a fixed amount each month. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the customer. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming federal and state tax credits and incentives.

Customers who decide to purchase their system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look. Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity. Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry. The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments. The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself. Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many customers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance. Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and PPA. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.7

tony f.
August 21st, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Worst company ever. My roof was damaged in resent storms and needed to be replaced. After being on hold for a hour they informed me that to have the Panels removed, the soonest date would be sometime next year. I could pay for a private contractor to remove, but if damaged it would be at my cost. Don't get Solar Panels with Solar City. There is no customer Service! Horrible.

Lusio Barraza
August 21st, 2018 Highland, CA DETAILS

First of all all the five star reviews are obviously SolarCity employees you're too short and sweet or long-winded with technical points.. I bought a new house and had to deal with SolarCity leaks caused by them, not using sealant where they anchor to rafters, customer service 3 hours on hold There back up on removing panels for anyone unless its new install, until 2019! And was told to hire contactor to remove/reinstall, taking a chance by voiding my warranty by doing that..

Mary Margaret Johnston
August 20th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

I had panels installed in June of 2015 but it took 6 weeks before SoCalEd would allow the system to be turned on. I have flat cement tiles on my roof and 41 tiles were cracked during installation. Solar City replaced all the broken tiles in a timely manner. I did not buy but lease the panels. I have been extremely happy with Solar City, now Tesla. I can crank up the AC and know that I will not be penalized with a huge electric bill each month. My only complaint is only 70% of my electricity is covered with solar and a 3-foot easement is required by Long Beach (California) building code. Just another way for Long Beach to micromanage. Their reasoning is "the fire department needs the 3-foot easement." Well, only if the fire fighters are fat and broad. 18 inches would be plenty of easement and would allow more panels. As far as Customer Service--they are there to answer any questions. Our representative, Karen B, is terrific.

Alan Salcido`
August 16th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

I'VE BEEN WITH "SOLAR CITY" 2 SOLID YEARS NOW...SO FAR SO GOOD...I feel i did save some money, what sucked is the sales rep that signed me up, she never told me about the "TRU-UP's" bill with PG&E at the end of the year with "Solar City" which is about $1,220.00 which I think that was a sneaky trick so she could get her commission on the sale. But still after breaking it down I'm still saving a little bit. BUT now "TELSA" is taking over, I'll see if there crooked or not, I'm monitoring my bill closely now, ANY SCREW -UPS with these characters, trust me I'll shut them down, and fire them.... and I'll start up with my local vendors like "SUN-SOLAR" which does has very high and good ratings. I just might still make that move anyways...LOL. But I'll give "TELSA" the benefit of the doubt. I'll see what their up to for now and see if I do save $$$ or not. If not,,,,then ADIOS!!! SEE YA~~~~~~~~ Alan S. Bakersfield,Ca

Walter Atterholt
August 16th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

signed contract Nov. 2013. system installed Jan 2014 after redoing all the contracted paperwork because they had me sign outdated forms for SCE telling me they just received the new forms yet they had been posted on the SCE website before I even started the process. System not activated till July 2017. They kept telling me that first I needed a new meter - which I already had for over a year then that they were waiting for SCE approval. after several months I contacted SCE Net metering and found that they were waiting for one piece of paperwork that solar city swore they had submitted. talked again 3 days later & paperwork received told 2-3 days until turn on. Contacted solar city customer service and was old it would take another 4-6 weeks before I could go outside and turn the switch. So many other lies. Told I would qualify for a Calif rebate but because of the delay it didn't happen. Told my tax break for solar would cover the $10k but didn't say anything about must not have any liability for payment so got stuck with a $10k balloon payment. Have never produced enough to decrease my to zero level and actually had to pay $1.3K last annual billing to cover the electricity used. Had to have them come out to repair a roof leak caused by installation. also their internet monitoring is too far from my modem to connect so I cant monitor my generation and have no idea if the system is even working properly. have been very dissatisfied and even told them to take the damn thin off my roof after 6 months of no activation due to their screw ups. needless to say the refused as I had signed a "contract".

Jesse Johnson
August 14th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

Four words-Don't use Solar City. Worst business I have ever dealt with. Do your homework and go with some other company.

Sherri Bieber
August 14th, 2018 Northridge, CA DETAILS

We have Solar City and they undersized our unit which at the time I stated they were not installing enough panels. They assured me they were. That the panels produce 10% more than we need and if they don't they I will get a check. I have received a check every year. I have had them out and the comment was that I would have to buy an additional system to cover my electric usage. I am not happy.

Cathy Shecklen
August 13th, 2018 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

Most horrible business decision I've ever gotten into in my life. Every turn has been a nightmare and they have been completely unhelpful and argumentative threatening and rude. On top of dealing with all of their idiotic ways I still have to pay the electricity bill along with their bill. They lied when filling out the contract. They said I would not have an electricity bill anymore other than the normal $10 fee, but I pay a lot to the electricity company still. They promise to pay the true up bill but as of this last year they have denied it. It cost me more to have it than just to pay the electricity bill. Again, worst decision of my life.

Craig
August 13th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Our system has been operational since 1/15. It's a smaller Lease system. No real issues and everything has been addressed in a reasonable amount of time. This is the first time the whole system has gone down. 2 minor installation issues and SC addressed them without problems. Usually about a week (5-7 days). 8/11/18 our Inverter went south. It's in the 3rd year of its 10 year warranty. (Not a real good sign) And I was thinking of the Power Wall? Lets see how this issue plays out. Of course it goes on a weekend, and one of the hottest months here in Las Vegas. Their guesstimate is up to 2 weeks, a lengthy time considering the inverters should be a standard in stock item and a 10 year warranty, 3rd year out of a 10 year warranty.....It should last PAST the 10 year time frame, not the other way around. Yes I know there are different sizes for larger systems. Or a range of systems. As a retired maintenance manager these components should be in inventory if they were operating under the premise that Customer Service First. What I've found out is..... there ISN'T a service department in Las Vegas. They rely on private companies to perform most if not all their service repairs, this just adds a layer of bureaucracy to overcome. Their performance guarantee kinda falls flat, no sense of urgency. Remember, a company is only as good as its customer service.

dick wolfinger
August 13th, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS

they take advantage of lay people in there industry. they are not very transparent. customer service is no help, read your contract is all they tell !! very disappointed !! when all is said and done, I,am the loser.

John T.
August 10th, 2018 Van Nuys, CA

WE have Solar City panels on our house now for several years and are very happy. The hardest part of the installation was dealing with LADWP of which Solar City did most of the work. Our electric bill went down from an average of $400 a month to $20, the minimum service cost for LADWP. During the summer the bill does go up slightly but never has it come even close to the $400. I have not experienced any customer service issues.

Michael F Dwyer
August 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Roof leak 3 weeks after panel install. Roof had never leaked before. Tesla did "courtesy patches", the interior damage not their liability!!!!!!

Shelley Fish
August 15th, 2018 Yuba City, CA DETAILS

We have solar through this company and the way they installed it caused a leak in our roof which made part of our ceiling collapse. It took 3 months of “delays” to have them fix it. Although they did repair the damage they refused to cover our cost for the power bill we received for those 3 months. The lady I dealt with was not nice and basically told me we were lucky they fixed it! Very disappointed in this company. Customer service is awful.

Robert Pike
August 8th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

We are very happy with SolarCity's solar. Our SDG&E bill went from $216.00 to $10.00 credit each month.

Catherine Kato
August 8th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

10 of 10. Up to the change to Telsa everything was great

James Harter
August 8th, 2018 Maynard, MA DETAILS

Company just changed name from Solar City to Tesla. Always been owned by Tesla , now that his name is on it he really needs to address the poor support because it will rub off on his other business ventures or he will sell it off and get rid of it. July 2018 System is not reporting it activity correctly( Data unavailable ). Called Tech support and worked with technician who said the bridge card inside the inverter has gone bad. Was told that we would get a call (within 24 hour) to schedule someone to come out and deal with the problem. Two day later (7/27/18) no call. Called tech support back gave them the case number and they then offered to schedule a tech to come out on 8/30/18 that is over a month later. The inverter seems to be working just not communicating with their gateway unit which is inside next to the router. I am now checking the power company net meter every day to see what is being fed back to the grid. system installed 2.5 year ago and had been working fine. If net meter shows system working then not to bad. Will be interesting how thing are billed. Support is poor, long waits on hold getting to talk with somebody, longer waits getting someone out to address a real problem. NOT GOOD!!!

alex varga
August 6th, 2018 Apple Valley, CA DETAILS

I just came across this website and found the ranking of the various Solar Companies. And upon reading some of the comments of unhappy customers, I was honestly shocked and dismayed as to the ranking given to Solar City. Two years ago, and after looking into various Solar Companies (and being skeptical about Solar in the past), I compared the steadily increasing electricity expenses charged by SO Cal Edison over the past ten years. And over that time, I noted the never ending applications by Edison to the PUC for approval for steady and continual increases. The handwriting on the wall became evident and Solar was the only answer to counter the increases in the future. And being retired and living on a fixed income, meant we needed to act. And being somewhat anal about record. keeping, I have spreadsheets for monthly expenses since I retired in Jan 2003. And my study and examination of Solar Companies led me to Solar City who installed the panels we needed based upon our electric power usage over the past two years So we decided to lease solar, as the purchase of the panels just didn't fit into our wallets. Since the panels were installed by Solar City (Aug 2016) , they have provided positive results in lowering our monthly electric bills via SO Cal Edison. In fact, we live in the High Desert area of So Cal where temps have been running over 100 degrees for the past several weeks. And we run our A/C for around 14 hrs a day. And each month we pay Solar City/Tesla a fixed Lease fee and So Cal Edison a small amount for their service as well. And those amounts, when comparing to our Edison Bills BEFORE Solar, combined, are less than what we paid before Solar. In fact inJuly, which is the start of the hot summer here, we paid Edison $9.81 in July 2017 and $.92 in July 2018. And combined with the Lease Fee to Solar City, both those bills were LESS than what we paid in July 2016. And in comparing the actual electrical usage during the same time period, the Solar City addition CUT our electric expenses for the same number of people living in our home (2). Now keep in mind, our PRIMARY reason for having Solar installed in the first place, was to counter the anticipated increases by Edison to provide us electricity. And though our monthly Solar City Lease fee did increase by $2.68 in 2018 (more than 2017), that increase was explained by the Solar City Representative who sold us the system (before installation) and is anticipated in the future. But that annual increase is a very small amount compared to the annual increases requested By So Cal Edison to the PUC. And I might add, I've not seen the PUC turn down any of those increases by Edison which are far more than the Solar City Lease increase. And as an aside, whenever something of note or changes in the manner in which So Cal Edison has recently changed their billing and charging method, we receive emails ahead of time, from the same Solar City Representative who sold us the system. So in closing, Solar City has delivered exactly what they said they would and continue to service us in the same manner I would expect from any service oriented business to conduct their business. But I do not believe that ranking given to Solar City is representative of the excellent service they've provided us. And when reading all the negative comments, reminds me of a neighbor of mine who came over and talked trash about the car dealership from which we bought our last car and have it regularly serviced. He called it the worst dealership he'd ever been to and he's 75 years old. But being his junior by 4 years, I can honestly say that car dealership is the best I've encountered in my lifetime. Only goes to show that some people apparently don't receive the same level of care and service that others do. And hence, some want to give a company 0-1 stars and others 4-5 stars. Makes me also wonder who pays for some of these comparisons and evaluation studies and just how independent they truly are. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Scott
August 1st, 2018 Roslindale, MA DETAILS

It was pretty good until I had squirrels damage some of the wiring. It stopped producing early May 2018. I have had different representatives from Solar City now Tesla come out. It is now nearly THREE MONTHS and it still has not been fixed. Try calling and get a straight answer as to why or when it will be fixed. Good luck. I’ve had one and only one representative out of numerous people from the company actually communicate with me. (Vanessa B).

Bridget
July 16th, 2018 Swansea, MA DETAILS

I was told they were coming out for routine maintenance. 5 weeks later I get my electric bill and it’s over 400 so I called solar city and we found out it’s been down since routine maintenance visit!!!! What I was next even told it was off and they did nothing to fix it in last5 weeks???? It has been 5 days and I still don’t even have a date to fix in the summer months when I need it most, oh and by the way I am told I need to continue to pay the estimated bill of $240 even though I have no working system on top of my outrageous electric bill

ling wang
July 16th, 2018 Chino, CA DETAILS

I wish I could give a zero star here. SolarCity is the worst company I ever had worked with. Everything they said on ad to lower your electric bill is fully lying. We moved in a new house only 1.5 month without using AC, but received our first bill for $470. As a two people family, this is the most expensive electric bill we ever have had. I wanted to tell every one don't deal the Solar city. They are absolutely a hustler.

Molly Redifer
July 16th, 2018 Glendale, CA DETAILS

I have never met a friendlier, but more incompetent group of people in my life. I had to take off from work 11 times for installation to be completed. Their in-house communication was terrible. The people who answered or called on the phone never had any idea what the service reps were doing and saying. Now I am trying to sell my house, we are no longer living there, we have no internet service to report the power generated, we have explained this to them, and I'm still getting notices that the monitor is off and I need to restore it. I just ignore them at this point. When the house sells, I hope the new buyer has not read these reviews and just takes over the lease contract from me.

Terry Wilkerson
July 11th, 2018 Hurst, TX DETAILS

I had the worst experience with Solar City. The sales rep that they sent around never mentioned the word LEASE in his presentation. It was made to sound like the average monthly amount of my electric bill would be $132, but when I was actually able to print the contract out that is when I learned that was the monthly lease amount. The presentation was made on a 10" tablet so you could never see the entire page at one time. There were two other people at the table when the presentation was made and they never heard the work LEASE either. I asked what would happen if I decided to sell my house and move, NO PROBLEM. Ha! Big problem. Either the prospective buyers didn't want them or they wanted to purchase them. But that was not in their (Solar City) game plan. I had a 4 bedroom/3 bath house at almost 2000 sq ft and I have downsized considerably so how is a system for that size house going to fit on one about 1/2 that size. I have been telling everyone that if they are considering solar panels, DO NOT go with Solar City.

Heather Cooper
July 10th, 2018 Lincoln, CA DETAILS

We purchased our solar from SolarCity and they were great until Tesla took over. Now their service is the worst imaginable. Our solar stopped working about eight weeks ago. When I called they said they would order the part and it would be about two weeks. Two weeks came and went and I called again and was told that they wanted to install new solar panels which would be more efficient and it should be another couple of weeks. After multiple efforts to contact them and never receiving a return call I finally got through and was told that they had no idea when the panels would arrive. I asked why they couldn't install the part that they did have so my solar would be working and was told that they only like to come out once. I have been paying PG&E top price for my electricity and SolarCity has the audacity to expect me to pay my monthly bill to them also when I am receiving no service whatsoever. I was told that after two years they would review my payments and give me a refund if I had overpaid. I told them that no way would I wait two years and would resume paying my monthly bill when they fixed my solar.

jennifer nanni
July 5th, 2018 Trenton, NJ DETAILS

I have had my solar panels for 2 years now. Starting about 8 months ago, I would get emails from Tesla about every 2 weeks that there was a problem with my panels and I had to call from home, while it was light out. Hard to do when you work and it's winter. I would call and they would just have me reset the button. This happened about every 2 weeks for about 2 months. I continuously asked to have someone out but was told it was not necessary. Finally, about 3 months ago they came out and told me everything was fixed. On June 15th I get an email again about a problem. Service tech came out 6/19 and told me there was water in the panel box and it was unsafe so they had to shut down the panels and replace the box-at a future date of course. Makes me wonder how long it was unsafe before they finally realized it. Panels were shut down in height of energy season and service scheduled for July 3 from 12-2. Technician called at 3 to say it was too hot and he would need to reschedule. Next available date is 7/16 which means a month without the panels and no compensation. Would not recommend this company to anyone.

Jerry Holliman
June 28th, 2018 Porterville, CA DETAILS

Exceeded All Expectations! System Works Flawlessly an their staff made sure i knew how to work Nest thermostat. Received Rebate Promptly!

Jared Powell
June 26th, 2018 Glen Arm, MD DETAILS

At this point, I am absolutely incensed. The account was transferred four months ago, and I still can’t get into the payment portal to pay my bill. I can’t set up an ACH payment, so I’m being charged $7.50/month at no fault of my own. I’m sitting on hold for long periods of my day, just to pay the bill. My experience with SolarCity from the start has been an abomination. I almost missed my settlement date due to SolarCity’s continued inability to send over the documents that my lender needed. I was on the phone at least once a day for almost two weeks during the lending process. On top of everything, I’m paying SolarCity more per kWh than I pay BGE. This is just the worst run company in the world. If I could change one thing from my entire life, it would be to not sign the lease transfer agreement. What a scam.

Tami Allen
June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I left a detailed review of our experience with Solar City on the Tesla Solar website as well, since Tesla bought this struggling solar company, but I'm not sure Tesla can do anything to save Solar City. We had panels on our house that we just sold, which were already in place when we bought it. We just signed a lease and put the panels into our name, and enjoyed the almost 30% savings the solar panels offered. Then we moved. We were quoted a flat rate for moving the panels since the new owners didn't want them and we wanted them at our new house. That price was changed every time we talked to someone new, which was almost every time we called the company. First they told us it would be $495 to remove them and repair any damage, and $495 to install them at the new house. Then they said that they wouldn't fit at the new house. Then they said because of the type of roof it would be more expensive. Then they said it would be up to $7,000 to remove them and reinstall them. Needless to say, when we couldn't get a price, we had our own people remove them, and repair the roof, which cost us $5,000, and they've been sitting in our yard for a month at the new house because we can't get anyone from Solar City to come out and install them. They also held up the closing of our old house because they didn't turn in paperwork in time. The customer service is horrific, and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. It is stressful and chaotic to try to get the same person twice on the phone, and almost impossible to find someone who gives you the same price for the same service twice. I know Tesla bought Solar City, but they've been unsucessful at changing the problems there, and it's a shame. I love the savings solar panels offer, but the hassle isn't worth it.

christie kessler
June 25th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

linda B. include me n your class action lawsuit or any lawsuit anyone else is doing going forward. this is the worst company ever, we have two other companies coming out this week and I am definitely getting an attorney if needed.. its the same thing as your situation Linda. it funny also they give you excuses and credits but wont fix the problem and want you to buy more panels.. I have 3 less people in my house and my tru up bill was 3400 dolllars on top of the 230 a month I am paying I tell everyone we know don't do solar city and we have a pretty well known and respected name in our hometown since our son is a pro football player.. it is a huge joke in our town... and they have done nothing but make excuses... the panels were over heated it got too hot they are dirty the tree is blocking sun they are producing all lies.. and nothing like the salesman promised he swore we would never go up in the top tier and we would only pay around 900 in tru up until the boys moved out.. well they are gone and its 3400... I have never met a single person in my hometown that pays anywhere near this... its a joke

Peggy Harshman
June 25th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

My power bill has doubled with the panels on my roof. My bill says that they do not supply enough power for what I am using.. REALLY not even running air conditioning or swamp cooler and bill keeps going up every month. HOT in CALIFORNIA

Tyrone Kennedy
June 21st, 2018 DETAILS

This company is the worst. I need to have my roof replaced due to storms in the areas. I have been waiting months to have the Panels removed. Today they have a hour long wait on the phone. Do not get Solar Panels on your roof by Solar City. You will truly regret it!!!!!! Customer Service is the pitts! Its not worth the trouble.

Danielle
June 12th, 2018 Berlin, NJ DETAILS

DO NOTLET THEM ON YOUR ROOF!!!! Just purchased a home that had panels on it and was forced to keep them. That week it rained and we noticed that water was coming into the attic. Called Tesla out to see if they could see where it was coming from. They informed me that over 90% of the roof penetration were installed incorrectly and they were ALL LEAKING!!! This was back in March and I had over $ $100,000.00 in damages between the total damage of my roof (that was replaced just before they installed the panel back in 2015) and the mold and interior damage that has been leaking from day 1. They turned over to their insurance company and removed the panels but I have yet to be compensated for any damages and I AM BEING BILLED WITH NO PANELS ON MY ROOF!!! Do yourself a favor DO NOT GET ANYTHING FROM TESLA/ SOLAR CITY. No one there can help when I call and I can not live in my new house until I find a way to come up with money to fix their mistake. Crazy!!

Charmane Howell
June 7th, 2018 Oxford, CT

This company is for the birds. Poor contract transparency. The financier Mosaic are plain and simple underhanded. The salesperson omits information, and when called them out they stop returning call. They claim the bad reviews are from the old company, that’s garbage. Tesla’s costomer service is no better. I gave one star because there panel appears to be the most aesthetic.

Concerned Consumer
May 24th, 2018 El Dorado Hills, CA

If I could give them less than one star, I would. My uncle died back in January and he had leased SolarCity panels for his home. My grandmother inherited the house, fixed his house up, and sold the house. Prior to the house completing escrow, the new buyers requested the panels be removed, as they did not trust SolarCity. My grandmother and the realtor have contacted SolarCity numerous times and it took weeks for them to return a call, at which point they lied, stating they contacted the new buyers, when they had not. Since then, they've been playing games, stating they're going to remove the panels but never actually doing it, stating they have a lien, they don't have a lien, etc etc. Grandmother just talked to a lawyer today, who advised her to buy the panels because SolarCity is a horrible company that's going to force them to buy the panels in the end one way or another and that they were going to end up tied up in court against SolarCity for years and for excessive attorney fees and there still wasn't any guarantee SolarCity would remove the panels. Buyer beware.

Mike
June 5th, 2018 Allentown, PA DETAILS

Terrible and scam artists. I would recommend not doing it.

Minnie Maniquis
May 18th, 2018 West Covina, CA DETAILS

We leased our solar panels from Solar City two years ago. Aside from our monthly bill from solar city, we were billed by SCE $575 this year and around $375 last year. I called SCE and I was told that we were getting that much energy from them. Why weren’t we told of this by Solar City when we signed up? This is a rip off!

Patricia grunwald
May 18th, 2018 San Jacinto, CA DETAILS

Solar City SUCKS!! Customer service!! What customer service? I’m almost 60yrs and they told me get on my 2 story roof and hose if panels! The panels were not producing more than 20% on average so my $300 per month bill from SCE stayed the same and I now had on average $240 from solar city so my electric costs $550 -&600 a month. They would NOT come check panels, return my phone calls, and their acct receivable SUCKS! Paid them through my bank and checks were not cashed for almost a month!! Plus they lost 2 of my payments. They also upped my rate from .15 to .17. My contract locked in .15 for life . Not! “Elevator” cost what they called it. I cancelled everything and they said they would have a tech call me to set a date to remove panels. No call no show. They are trying to still bill me $7.50/month for producing 0 (cuz my system is shut off. ) Also electric Co tech came by and said my meter was set wrong! Was running to fast at a much higher cost! Anyone interested in a group law suit?

linda blodgett
May 16th, 2018 Citrus Heights, CA DETAILS

I am looking for other people who have solar city panels that are not happy with the panels under producing leaving you with a hefty bill at the end or the year from your electric company . Due to being told lies by the sales team. I have been complaining for 3-4 years now and get the run around and am told we have to put more panels up and not that changing them out to better panels is not a option. The worst experience ever by Solar City/Tesla! I want to start a class action lawsuit

Ralph Mavilla
May 11th, 2018

SolarCity installation was first class came in put 20 panels in 5 hours in oct of 2016 was up and running by Feb. 2017 their customer service does need improvement but horrible waiting for 2 back up walls to be put in Aug. 3

Dennis Ambruso
May 10th, 2018 Prescott, AZ DETAILS

I contacted a Solar City representative by phone. The sales representative was very knowledgeable, friendly, and did a wonderful job. She was not pushy at all making this a pleasant transaction. The installation was very professional and the panels are not even visible from the street. My last bill was -$29.00. I have a 10 year purchase plan which I almost have paid off. I believe this is the best solar around. They told me that during the process, if I wanted to cancel they would. There was no pressure to buy or lease. I have read Elon Musk’s biography. If you read it you will use Solar City.

Peggy Diller
May 9th, 2018 Covina, CA DETAILS

Tesla/Solar City has repeatedly refused to correctly apply payments made to my account to pay off my account even after emailing copies of the posted bank checks to two different individuals. I have contacted them more than 6 times over the past 3 months and no resolution has been made even though many "customer service" responses have promised to have the situation corrected. They will not allow me to talk directly to their finance department as those people "do not deal with the public". In early March they sent me a "shut-off notice"!