SolarCity

SolarCity Logo

SolarCity

Reviews reveal customers' biggest gripe: lack of customer service

Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills.

In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the clean energy company access to a variety of innovative equipments and technologies.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity Logo Sungevity ›

9.4

Overall
Score

#2 Sunrun Logo Sunrun ›

9.3

Overall
Score

#3 Elevation Solar Logo Elevation Solar ›

8.7

Overall
Score

#43 SolarCity Logo SolarCity ›

4.8

Overall
Score

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Monitoring Capabilities
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds
  • Referral Program
  • Time in Business

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of financing options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their rooftop solar panel system from SolarCity and make fixed monthly payments. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the homeowner. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming the federal investment tax credit and any other state tax credit or other incentives that may be available.

Customers who decide to purchase their solar PV system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look.

Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Monitoring Capabilities

SolarCity customers can access real-time insights and historical data about their solar production and home energy use from anywhere in the world through the Tesla app. This allows customers to check in on system performance and ensure that everything is working as it should be.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity.

Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry.

The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments.

The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

Referral Program

SolarCity allows its customers to give five of their friends a 5-year extended limited warranty on a new solar energy system installation, as well as earn referral rewards.

For up to five qualifying referrals, the referrer will receive $250 cash or credit. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral installation date and can be used toward new Tesla products or accessories.

Time in Business

SolarCity has been providing rooftop  solar power systems to home and business owners for more than a decade, which is a relatively long time in the solar industry. This has allowed SolarCity to gain valuable experience and establish a foothold in the market.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself.

Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many reviewers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance and answers to questions.

Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and power purchase agreement. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.6

Mary Garcia
May 20th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Terrible customer service. Money saved (if any) is not worth the time spent with a customer service department that does not deliver. We have issues with panels and leaking. Issues are not resolved on a timely basis. DO NOT consider Solar City.

Julie
May 13th, 2019 Douglas, MA DETAILS

I have nothing but problems from day 1 first an electrical problem that lasted a year & still not fixed right. Now three years later my roof is leaks and no support to remove the panels so the roof can be fixed. I have been waiting for over a month. Poor Business & Customer Service

Connie Hall
May 9th, 2019 Beacon, NY DETAILS

The New York State tax credits described by the sales person were that the full annual amount of my lease payments would be deductible for about 6 years or 30% of the value of the product (between $3,000 and $4,000). In actuality, I was only able to include the payments I made in the first calendar year. Since it was up and running in September this amounted to about $180. Not cool.

Ralph Merullo
May 9th, 2019 Burlington, MA DETAILS

We have a system which was installed in 2011 and has been generating between 900 to 10,000 KW per year. However this year system trips 40 Amp circuit breaker continuously with no solution from Solar City after multiple calls and e-mails. No financial relief has been offered by Solar City and no technical solutions are in sight. Very dis-appointed. I would not do business with this company in the future.

Sawyer D
April 29th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Thanks for allowing a system size under 3 KW. I was told you wouldn't for a loan, but for cash, you did. Haven't had any technical issues. I'm afraid if I did, I'd be on my own or face long long hold times. Also, your offer of move the panels for $2000 is too good to be true. They should have insisted on attic run for conduit. Very nice crew, they did offer some special install services, but attic run should have been seriously impressed on me.

Jared
April 22nd, 2019 Bothell, WA DETAILS

Overall my experience with SolarCity/Tesla has been amazing. Great customer service every time I've called to get a status update or help move the process forward. Installers that came out were contracted (around March 2019) and did an amazing job. SolarCity/Tesla upgraded me to the newest panel for free as well due to supply issues (SC330 instead of SC320), and my panels are doing amazingly!

Janet L. Reed
April 17th, 2019 Rancho Santa Fe, CA

I purchased a solar system from Tesla Solar in August of 2018 (6 months ago). I specifically asked my salesman, the designers and the installers if my roof was OK prior to installation. I was assured the roof was fine. Now the roof is leaking badly and a licensed roofer has advised me I need a new roof. The under layment (paper or felt) has failed. I am fine replacing/paying for the roof, but Tesla is charging me $4,555 for them to remove the solar panels and replace them, and I am not fine with that cost. I feel Tesla bears some responsibility since I specifically asked them about the condition of my roof. At no time did they recommend I consult a roofer prior to solar installation. Now they are saying that according to the terms of my contract, they are not responsible for roof leaks not caused by them and they only certified that my roof was strong enough to hold the weight of the panels. That was not the case. They are not willing to help me at all and suggested I could call another solar company to remove and replace the panels. I should have called another solar company in the first place. My salesman has gone to bat for me, but to no avail. Beware if dealing with Tesla Solar.

W A Yendrzeski
April 15th, 2019 Prescott Valley, AZ

I’m very happy with Solar City... My Rep went over our billing since we move to AZ Prescott Valley.. He said we would only need 10 panels to cover our costs. I decided to add 1 more panel. We use APS for our electrical system. I reviewed all the options for getting the system. I choose the pay up front option and make no payments. Solar City owns the system and must maintain it. Since installation of Nov 2012 we were on line by Jan 2013 the delay going to city inspection and APS doing there approval. The only issue we have had was the control panel quit working and I called that afternoon and Solar rep was there the next morning and solved the problem... None since. I can monitor my system online. I will brake even in 2 years. I pay APS basic fixed cost 99% of the time. Can’t beat that... I recommend this company to friends and they are all happy... Great company to work with... 5 STARS

DZinter
April 12th, 2019 Anaheim, CA DETAILS

Our panels stopped functioning and they continued to charge me without coming to fix them for 9 months. Their customer service is awful. They send you around in circles to the point my senior father was in near tears.

Keith
April 12th, 2019 New Rochelle, NY DETAILS

All went well my instillation ~2 years ago. I was very happy with the process but 2 years on things have changed: #1: my estimated production was 14,000 kilowatts but the actual production has been 11,000 Kilowatts which is significantly worse than estimated. #2: I just found out that my local town never issued a CO once the project was completed. I had the building inspector come by. There were 3 issues that needed to be resolved special stickers need to be placed on a conduit and electric meter and they need a certificate of inspection. I then called Tesla/Solarcity and the customer service person said the operations team would need to handle it and would email them. It has been a week and I have not herd from the them. In addition, they did not know what an instillation certificate was. When I asked them to contact the building department they said they "do not call the city to ensure completion." I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it would take 24 to 72 hours to get a call back. When I asked how was my problem going to be resolved the representative said that she would have to wait for the operations department to get back to me but she did not know when that would be. She said to try back tomorrow. They were very good on the install but on the follow up terrible. Do not use. They are not the only solar company in town.

Ryan
April 10th, 2019 Coopersburg, PA DETAILS

This review may come as a surprise, but we just found out the solar produced by our system has not been registered since 2017. No joke! We have no idea how much energy has been produce or consumed by our house. How is that even possible? I’ve asked for details and they cannot pinpoint the failure yet. Our monthly bill has just been an estimated usage amount for a house of similar size. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Cannot be anymore clearer than this review.

Don B
April 10th, 2019 Solvang, CA DETAILS

it's too bad I can't give them less than one star. In a nutshell here is how it's gone. Sales guy come out and gives us his speech, I point out that the concrete shingles I have on my roof were not made to walk on; he says "no problem" they do these all the time. Month later the install crew shows up. On the first day they break 600 tiles. I'm told "no problem". Second and third day they break almost 2000 more. Finally agree to send a roofing crew (of their choice) out to re-roof my house as they install the panels. I'm told "no problem". All seems OK until it rains, then the nail holes they left, and the skylights they flashed incorrectly start to leak. I'm told "no problem". They will send a crew out to identify the location and fix the leak. The guy they send up in to the attic is working his first day on the job. He doesn't have a camera but does have his cell phone which is also his flashlight. Three minutes in to his attic excursion he puts his foot through the ceiling in the kitchen. I'm told "no problem". This was January of 2019. I am assigned an "Executive Resolution Specialist" who's name was Jade T. Back and forth we go with documents, bids, pictures etc. The first week of March I stop hearing from her, I leave voice messages, send emails, call her number,,, nothing. Find out 5 weeks later she is "no longer with the company" (I guess she had a problem). It's April 9th and I'm still waiting for a check from these clowns because the "approval hasn't been obtained yet and "it's a problem". I can only say one thing... DO NOT, under any circumstances do business with this company. If their lips are moving they are lying and they will say ANYHTING to get you to do business with them.

David
April 10th, 2019 Templeton, CA DETAILS

Our solar went out November 2018, the panels where damaged by the rain. We called and where told it would be fixed by spring. We called 5 times. They just kept giving us the run around. We have been paying PGE plus solar city for 5 months and they still have not fixed it. We have honored our part of the contract and are ready to seek legal assistance to get this resolved. Do not use solar city their products are faulty and their customer services are worse,

KV
April 5th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

I have been with SolarCity for over a year now, and have had a very hard time getting quality service. Its been 3 months now and my inverter is still malfunctioning and has still not been fixed yet. Although I have been patiently waiting, I can't afford to pay my regular electric bill and SolarCity's contractual monthly fees at the same time -- what's the point of having solar? My customer service experience has not been very good, many times I've had to wait a long time to get assistance and then I still have to end up calling every other two weeks to get an update on my inverter to get fixed. Recently my autopay was removed in their system so I had to call and get "extra" charges removed and reset my autopay. MySolarCity.com online account does not allow you to see your account payment setups, statements, billing history, etc. --- so what's the point of an online account? Its been reported over a year ago and still not fixed. These things such as good customer service, a fully-functioning online account (where you can make payments), and reliable service are very crucial to a long-term contract (20 years!) relationship. So think about these things before you sign the contract, are you up to this kind of frustration? I would not even rate 1 star but this site doesn't allow that, so 1 star is the least I could choose.

Stacey
April 5th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

We have been a solar city customer since 2007. We referred many of our neighbors to Solar City. Since our roof is 30 years old we decided to have it replaced before it started to leak and cause damage. Solar City advises us there was a 5 month waiting list and the cost to remove and reinstall will be over 4K. While we had no choice but to agree to this insane charge, the aftermath was even worse! Solar City showed up and removed all of the panel which were stored in my garage. The very next day, it rained for 3 solid days INSIDE MY HOUSE! There were over 50 holes RAINING in my house causing 15K worth of damage! Never did anyone inform us of the exposure, offer to cover or plug the holes, NOTHING. It was absolutely horrible raining inside my house because of the damage caused by Solar City. I wrote to Solar City with copies of every invoice and photo and requested they waive the charge to reinstall to offset the damage we incurred and they refused! Beware of the damage to your roof when they install the panels, hope and pray you never have to remove the panels and any type of reasonable compensation is non existent.

Joel E
April 1st, 2019 Yonkers, NY DETAILS

Excellent installation and quality panels. Solarcity actually was able to deliver what I couldn’t get from Sungevity. I’m very happy with their product

loretta pramick
March 29th, 2019 New Castle, DE DETAILS

I love my experience with Solar City and its employees. My panels are producing as promised and I am saving lots of money. I have recommended to friends and family and they are pleased also. The panels look good on my house and there were no issues with the installation.

Pete
March 26th, 2019 Cathedral City, CA DETAILS

This is not a good experience. My transformer stopped working and it took a month to replace. And they are rude,

Mario
March 22nd, 2019 Sylmar, CA

Very unorganized organization. Worst experience yet. Clearly the right hand didn’t know what the left hand was doing. I ended up cancelling my entire solar project. I felt bad for the sales guy. Not his fault their install dept and engineering aren’t as attentive to details.

Robert Moore
March 22nd, 2019 Shingle Springs, CA DETAILS

Similar to another story here, our system went down on New Years Day as soon as the Sun came up :-(. I called it in right away and they have still not given us a replacement date after multiple calls. Worked great for ~6 years until 2019! Riso Low Fail :-( Getting bids from other companies to expand our system, not likely Tesla Energy at this point :-( And we still pay ~$85/Month :-(

Tim Wittwer
March 12th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO DETAILS

1. Happily paid substantially extra for USA made (Buffalo, NY factory) Panasonic 325 panels. Discovered panels were actually made in Malaysia. 2. Two months post system activation, still have not received the device to enable power monitoring. Promised 2/1/19 date passed. Now they no longer even provide a delivery estimate .

Beeat home
February 19th, 2019 Buckeye, AZ DETAILS

We have had 2 solar systems installed with Solar City - one in Prescott Valley & one in Buckeye Arizona. I would encourage folks to research & investigate some of the one star ratings which seem to have little to do with the actual function of the solar system. I also note that folks mention power companies like PG & E while here in Arizona we have APS. It took APS months to bring our system 'live' which had nothing to do with Solar City. I've also heard folks complain about roof damage, but know from our experience that when we had our one year new build inspection they found several broken concrete tiles - Solar City immediately came out & replaced the tiles. Instead of a $450 summer APS bill our lease is $129 a month & our APS bill ranges from $20 to $70 a month. Leased solar is easily transferable & new owners can pay off the balance but are then responsible for any repairs. If there's ever a problem it's Solar City's responsibility to repair. Do your homework, ask lots of questions & compare - don't just listen to the negative responses which in some cases aren't telling the whole story.

C Wallace
February 14th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Two stars, because I have solar! I signed up for solar city, when it first became a lease program . I was so excited to get the panels on my roof, and the more the better! I was told, my lease payment will remain the same, Until it was paid off.! Each year it increases..!Wasn’t ready for that one ! I was also told , The company said they would take care of the panels, including cleaning , or if needed, any hazardous particles limbs, interference with the panels was just a phone call away . Absolutely not true! I myself, was allowed to use a ladder, to climb on my roof and wash them off, 63-year-old female, with arthritis ! One year, lease payment goes up! Every year increase! When I contacted them to let them know my panels were very dirty, I was given numbers to call, for companies to come out and clean the panels . I was to pay for that ? Very disappointing ! And shocked! I was also told, I would be getting, substantial rebates from my electric company. Not so. Being a lease, Solar city , receives them ! My rebate, once a year, from solar city, is a tank a gas and stopping for pizza ! I i’m glad I jumped on the bandwagon? I got my panels. I just wish I would have waited a little longer to find a local company, and a sales person Who is actually more truthful ! Solar is worth it. If you go with the right company. And if you can, go local. I’m really not sorry I did this. I just wish I would’ve had, a truthful, sales person ! Good customer service makes all the difference in the world. Do your research ! Ask your friends and neighbors.

DR Not Happy
January 31st, 2019 Safety Harbor, FL DETAILS

Buyer beware. I met with a rep to consult me for providing a system to keep my home office up and running when there are extended power outages in my area (Florida). They designed a system that provides more than enough power however I was originally told I would only need 1 battery to power the home during an outage. Panels installed and $36,000 later they are now about to install the batter system but NOW INFORM ME that it cannot power your AC and a few other items in your electrical box. NO AC IN FLORIDA?? This seems like pretty important information that was conveniently left out of my original assessment and design plans. Their solution? I will need to get 4 battery systems! So that $36,000 price tag just jumped to $70,000. That is bait and switch after being waist deep. PLus , 4 batteries is complete overkill since the current solar system provides 170% of the power that I need. 1 battery is all that is needed, or I could have gotten far fewer panels and put more money towards batteries.

Junaid
January 31st, 2019 Orange, CA DETAILS

I have two systems installed on the roof from Solar City; one where I have paid outright and the other one where I pay monthly. The one where I paid outright has not been performing as per SolarCity commitment and design but their technical team keeps on saying "no everything is OK". It seems they poorly designed the initial system and/or used inferior panels/inverter but are unwilling to do anything about it because there is no financial incentive for them anymore as they received all the money upfront. I expected a much better customer service and response from Tesla but they are a disappointment so far. So much for all the high flying claims of Tesla and their CEO/management.

Rayneman
January 8th, 2019 Riverbank, CA DETAILS

I see a lot of complaints and will say most people are poorly informed about solar to start with. Your system size in Ca. is controlled by your electric provider. You submit 12 most current bills and Tesla sizes the system 10% higher. That is what the utility co. only allow if your on net metering. You get a bill monthly showing what you sent your utility vs usage. So you know true up cost monthly can't see why anyone says there shocked when their true up date comes. Go to Amp It on Tesla site for customers and they will tell you how to get through to Tesla without long wait times. In a year and a half I've had no system problems:production is good what was expected. When I had an issue with a blown PG&E transformer got to customer service in 5min. If you have questions got to Amp It solar customers will help you understand a lot.

K Oliver
January 2nd, 2019 Morgan Hill, CA DETAILS

It will take Tesla/SolarCity 7 months to repair/replace a system under warranty. NOT ACCEPTABLE, but having bought the system outright I'm left with few options. Essentially no generation since Sept, replace date just now set for first week in April. Sale and installation 5 years ago by SolarCity was great. System failed with Ground Fault error in September. Tech support immediately said panels would need to be replaced; estimate 1 week to re-engineer as new panels are more efficient, 2 weeks to come out are replace. Three months later after calling in to complain every other week, we finally have new design. Same as old, less one panel. Then call, call, and call to get installation schedule. Finally, email says 4 months out. Unbelievable!

Xiaohong Cao
December 31st, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

In 2017, no solar data for 4 months. I had to pay PGE extra bill $1131.90. In 2016, no data on Aug. In 2018, no data for hours a day sometimes. Broken tiles left on the roof for years.

William Jonwa
December 18th, 2018 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS

Ever since Solar City merged with, Tesla, their customer service has been nearly non-existent. Trying to talk to them on the phone with a problem or concern about the panels involves an hour or longer wait on the phone to speak to a "live person" thus few, if any, will wait that long. I know I won't. Also, I cannot get them to actually visit my actual installation claiming everything can be monitored remotely. I disagree!! There is an obvious problem with some of the panels but I can't get any "live" person to come out and inspect all the components. I am very dissatisfied!!! Am I stuck with this inferior product for 20 years????

a. kemmler
November 27th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I pay the same for my power bill and pay for my solar panels. I make a monthly payment but have no idea what the balance is on my loan. No statement from them for the last year! I called customer service, no answer, I emailed customer service, no answer...wonder if I stopped paying there would be an answer?

Rrich
November 21st, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA

I am not a customer, only trying to be. For purely aesthetic reasons I want the glass shingles over the entire roof so that the house looks good. IMHO the panels are, well just, ugly. I've approached sales engineers / sales consultants or what ever they are called at the mall and request information. At best I'm ignored, at worst they just walk away. I've spent far too many years in field marketing to know when a prospect says, "I want to buy" the world stops turning and the only objective is then to get the customer's John Hancock on the dotted line. I don't understand these sales people at all.

James Koger
November 21st, 2018 Cambridge, MA DETAILS

I signed a pre-paid lease(this option is no longer available I understand) with SolarCity on 12/31/11. The panels were installed in 2012 and we went online in July 2012. At the time I was really impressed by the professionalism and level of skill of the various SolarCity personnel. From the time of completion of the installation it required 3 weeks for Cambridge Inspectional Services And Eversource to approve the installation and give permission to go on-line. SolarCity said that 3 weeks was very short period of time to go on-line. Until Aug. 2018 there were no problems at all. We have not had to pay any electric bills at all since February of 2013. The amount of electricity received has nearly paid back the cost of the lease. I expect that sometime in 2019 the pre-paid lease will be repaid in electrical power. There has been enough extra power to charge a plug-in electric car most of the time and switch from a gas clothes dryer to an electric one. Until August 2nd all was well and then our invertor failed. It took SolarCity(which had been purchased by Tesla) 5 weeks to replace the invertor. I had to call customer service 4 different times before I got any kind of idea of timing of the invertor replacement. I was not impressed by the level of professionalism I got from Tesla customer service. The service guy was good and I had seen him before. The replacement only took about an hour to accomplish. I do not understand why it would take 5 weeks to get a replacement. No one could or would explain this. However the system is now up and running. Tesla said they would make up the difference in power lost up to the guaranteed amount for the year. So far the system has exceeded the guaranteed amount every year. Would I go back to Tesla again knowing what I know now . Probably Yes. Before the invertor failure I would not have hesitated but afterwards I would look at other companies at least . Does Tesla need to improve customer service? Yes!

D A
November 20th, 2018 Plymouth, MA DETAILS

Received an email from Tesla - Monday, Sept 24th, 2018 Email informed me of a low production problem & a technician would visit the home. We did not need to be home. No communication from Tesla as to what the technician did at my home 2. Sept. 25th, major leak discovered in master bedroom. 3. Sept 25th @ 10:00 pm, I sent a 1-lined email to Tesla, asking for service for my leaking roof 4. Sept. 26th, received an email from Tesla, asking me to call Customer Care. 5. Sept 27th, received a notice from Tesla in my door which states Tesla-Customer Care will contact me. 6. Oct 1st, I sent an email to Tesla, asking for help & explained my unsuccessful calls to Tesla - Customer Care. Phone calls to Tesla never connected to a live person except for the 1 Spanish speaking operator. I asked for Tesla to call me directly and provided my cell phone number. 7. Oct 2, received an email from Tesla explaining that Tesla may have been calling my home number, not cell. 8. Oct 2 @ 1:36 pm, call from Richard, Tesla Tech, to make an appointment to examine the roof. Appointment made for Oct 3rd @ 8:00 am. 9. Oct 3rd @ ~ 8:00 am, XX (individual's names protected) arrived and began looking at my roof from the ground. We went inside to look at master bedroom where leak had occurred. We then went into the attic to look at the roof sheathing. XX was quite surprised to see a covered hole in my roof. A hole had burned through the roofing, roof sheathing and part of my rafter. NO, I was not aware of any such occurrence or damage. XX said he could see daylight through the patch. Patch done by Tesla. XX's partner, Y, arrived after the fire damage had been discovered. The 2 Techs removed 1 solar panel from the top left corner. They told me that they sealed aluminum over the hole and installed roofing shingles over the aluminum which I can confirm they installed a different style roofing shingle over the damage. XX took photos of repairs which I asked for him to text me and he had agreed yet he did not forward those photos to me. They reinstalled the panel. XX had mentioned that the damage was most likely caused by a bad connector which Tesla is finding to be problematic. I have ~30 panels on 2 roofs of my house which must be loaded with these same connectors. The inverter has been shut off. Where does the power go now? XX explained to me that the original Tech did the following: Was sent to my home due to a 50% drop in production. Replaced the bad connector Did NOT correctly log a thermal event Did NOT shut the system off Did NOT document the roof patch or that he was on my roof XX asked me to call Customer Care to explain to them what was discovered. I told him that is a headache and I’ve experienced long waiting periods without success but I would try. I telephoned Customer Care and got a message that they are “closed.” I immediately told XX and asked for a direct line or the correct prompts to use. He telephoned his superior, Dan (I believe Dan is his name) and had arranged for Customer Care to call my cell phone. I have NOT received any call. 10. The above is just the beginning. Then a month of no contact and no return phone calls. Trust me, I tried to reach Tesla. Now in the 2nd month, Tesla blames insurance. Then Tesla sent a new contract to sign. I'm finishing 2 months without a resolution. Tesla has no integrity. I cannot say enough. STAY AWAY!!!!

Stan Raskow
November 20th, 2018 Sun City West, AZ DETAILS

Do not use Tesla who owns solar city for anything solar on your house. Installers are great and then it goes bad from there, just terrible customer service and you will hear every excuse in the world as to why you can't get your solar turned on. Really bad company. There are others that are much better, do your homework

Fran P.
October 30th, 2018 Dallas, TX DETAILS

We love our SolarCity panels, and the process to get them was well organized, thorough and easy. The sales man was very informative and responsive, both by email and phone. From the engineer who inspected the building structure for ability to hold the weight of the units to the solar engineers who designed the system, and the crew who installed the panels; all were so pleasant to work with and timely with all their promises of appointments. We have now had the panels producing power for four years. Love the results, and the SolarCity/Tesla website that allows us to review production in detail. The one time we had a problem (lightening), SolarCity called and emailed us before we even realized that there was nothing being produced. They walked us through a procedure to see if it was easy to fix and when this was not possible, sent out repair person to take care of the problem. If we do not produce the contracted amount of kWh in the year, we will get a check. We paid cash for the installation of the panels in October 2014 and have already received benefits amounting to more than 50% of the cost. (Benefits: credits for power returned to grid, less power used from power company, savings in distribution charges: I keep a detailed spread sheet!!!!)

Hari Mahalingam
October 17th, 2018 Rocklin, CA

it is the worse company ever I know for the power. I was told and promised one but received completely different.

Troy Wolverton
October 15th, 2018 DETAILS

DO NOT USE SOLARCITY (TELSA)! Dishonest, our rates are higher and we requested 100% coverage which they give employees but I was told NO. We're stuck in a contract but the minute possible even if I am stuck buying them out I will. Installation crew was great. That's it, area rep has a nick name of "DOG" and the other employees say it's for a reason and the sales rep flat out lied.

Pat Johnson
October 15th, 2018 Randallstown, MD DETAILS

Solar city is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I have a problem with trying to reach them they keep you on hold for hours and then tell you they cannot help you for at least a year . I need to get the panels removed so my roof can be repaired they tell me hurry up and wait for a year . By the time I wait for them my ceiling will fall in thanks solar city for nothing .please don't use this company you will regret it

Bradley Kelley
October 15th, 2018 Battle Mountain, NV DETAILS

Customer service is almost non-existent. Can be up to a month to get a service tech to sort problems. Tesla laid off so many employees that they cannot service customers any longer. Software does not work reliably. Communication is worthless. I've never had a worse experience with any company. Period. Do not do business with Solar City/Tesla...don't even consider it.

Gerard Schrader
October 3rd, 2018 Barstow, CA DETAILS

No phone calls returned, no emails returned.

Robert Zack
September 26th, 2018 Los Alamitos, CA DETAILS

I purchased my system from solar city a 6.25 kw. system I've had it going on my fourth year now I have had no issues with it at the end of my net metering year I always receive a check from edison for my over generation. We had a few delays in the process but over all it all went well.

Joseph Monaco
September 26th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

After about 5 years with Solar City they have always been top notch in all areas of the company. Everything the salesman told about on our 1st meeting was correct. I have recommended this company to family and friends and everyone are happy customers.

Mia
September 25th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

When we purchased our house we had no choice because solar city was the only company our builder was contracted with. We signed a 20 yr lease contract. When we moved in we thought the solar was “on” but when I called PG&E I was told it’s not turned on and to contact the company who installed my solar. I was so confused because I didn’t have this issue with my previous house solar. Called the Solar Sales Rep we spoke to before our house was built. He gave me the contact info of another rep assigned in that area. Called her and she informed me that she submitted the docs and waiting for PG&E. After a week I called PG&E again but was told that they are still waiting for the solar company. I was going back and forth for almost a month. At last my solar was activated after 2 months of calling PG&E and the Solar City. Next, I noticed birds in my roof so I called the rep and he informed me that there should be netting on the panels and if not that they can put it when needed. So I called when I saw birds underneath the panels, unfortunately the rep is not with Solar City anymore... and when I called the customer service number it said wait time is more than an hour!! I don’t have all that time waiting on the phone..I’m very disappointed with this company and with my builder who is contracted with them which in turn didn’t give us a choice of which Solar Company to go with.

George Ferch
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

With Solar City you can choose a 10 year 2.99% or 20 year 4.99% loan and own the system day one. With the 10 year loan I basically pay the same as my regular Edison bill if I apply the tax rebate to the loan. The 20 year could save me 50 bucks a month off my bill. I could save double going with the 10 year. I contacted support over the phone when I first turned on my system because the usage was mirroring my production. I was up and running in no time. I have noticed lag in response when emailing. I needed a new roof and Tesla has there own roofing company and they were able to wrap it into the loan. My sales guy Gus W would answer emails, phone, txt, day or night even when he was on his day off or on vacation.

Christopher Parker
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

When my system was installed in 2015 the installation was outstanding! The customer service was outstanding and very responsive....BUT.....let some time go by. all the good employees quit, Elon Musk bought the company, customer service disappeared, I had signed up the day Musk announced the Tesla Powerwall @ 10 KWH for $3,500....I never heard another word after Tesla questioned me on my system. Then after 2 years and calling several times, I finally got an answer that "Oh, that was phase #1 and it's been discontinued. Noe the 10 KWH Powerwall is $13.500?? My system has NEVER performed as promised. They audit every 2 year but I always end up paying Edison for power even though they "Claim" it's Zero Net Metering. Bottom line....Very disappointed with Solar City and Tesla! Was going to buy a Tesla but after this poor service. I'll never buy a Tesla.. Think Elon Musk is losing his mind......Sad...

Rando calahan
September 21st, 2018 Santa Maria, CA DETAILS

I have had my solar system with Solar City since 2013. I lease my system and the lease cost is cheaper than my previous monthly electric bill with PG&E; however, after I pay my yearly True-Up bill with PG&E of about $600 it turns out to be a wash and there is really no cost savings. I felt I was misled because I was not advised of the largeTrue-Up bill that I pay annually. I regret not going with Sungevity which has the highest rating of solar companies.

Rebecca Romero
September 17th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS

Exceeded All Expectations! System Works Flawlessly an their staff made sure i knew how to work Nest thermostat. Received Rebate Promptly!

Barbara Bell
September 17th, 2018 Calimesa, CA DETAILS

SolarCity reps are great at the beginning. They make you feel as if this is their produce and service is the best ever. As soon as we were signed up it was no communication for days and weeks. From the signup date to the date of connection was over a year. After that we heard nothing from them. We were to get a payment schedule within 30 days. Two years later we still had no schedule, did not know how much to pay or when. I called several time and was told they would get right back to me. No one ever did. I talked to several people but never received the schedule. Finally, this year (3 yrs later) we received PAST DUE statements for three months and then nothing again. I have had it with this company, its communication issues and service.

Dale Stephens
September 13th, 2018 Reno, NV

Dealing with Solar City (Tesla) not easy ---- and very time consuming! Tesla is a company that has grown too fast. Their staff lacks proper training. Employees are apparently not given the authority to make things right. In a word: inflexible. Months ago we started the process of buying solar panels and a power wall. The Tesla site engineer analyzed where the panels would need to be installed and where the power inverter, DC junction, distribution panel, etc. would be located. The project plans (including drawings) are created at one of their offices, then sent to us. I noticed that the above mentioned equipment was located on the southeast corner of the house (back yard), not the northwest corner of the house (front yard). The street was drawn in the back yard, not on the opposite side of the house. I discussed this error with the sales representative. She told me that they knew what they were doing. It took some convincing for her to finally understand that they had actually made a mistake. After a delay we received the revised plans. However, there was another mistake on them. They had the order of the equipment that was placed on the exterior wall next to the main AC electrical panel shown in two different places on the drawings and they were not consistent. Our HOA’s architectural review committee would have rejected the plans. Again, it took more convincing than necessary for the sales rep to understand that they had made yet another mistake. After this was corrected we submitted our plans to our HOA for approval. Meanwhile, we were sent the contract to electronically sign (via DocuSign). I signed every place that I could and returned the agreement. I received another agreement indicating that the first one wasn’t signed properly. I signed it again and returned it. Again I was told that I’d need to resign the agreement because the first one was not signed properly. Having signed contracts in the past using DocuSign, I knew that I’d signed every place that I could. The problem was that whoever set-up the agreement didn’t do it correctly. Not only should every place where a signature or initial needs to be inserted be highlighted (yellow in my case), but there needs to be a tag on which I could “click” with my cursor to place my signature or initials on the highlighted line. This had not been done correctly. I asked for a paper copy and received it. On the agreement I made two notations: 1) our HOA requirements for solar installations needed to be followed (specifically that all mounting hardware needed to be coordinated with the surface on which it was attached); and 2) the purchase price after the end of the 20 year lease was to be no more than 10% of the lease agreement (which is front-loaded making the purchase price no more than $700+), not the $5000+ mentioned in the agreement. I had previously questioned the sale rep about this. She had checked with people in Tesla and was told the 10% limit was correct. She had sent me an email stating this was factual. My agreement was rejected and another one was sent to me. I told the person responsible for my project that I would not sign the agreement without the two notations on it. A regional manager (Stephen) called me to try to explain why I had to sign the agreement without making any notations on it. I gave him eight days to come up with a plan to make this right. It has been eight days and no one has called me. I believe in solar. I had it for 20 years in Seattle and was happy with the results. I can attest to the fact that at the end of 20 years it was so far behind current solar technology that it would have been nearly worthless if I had tried to sell it. Tesla would have spent more in labor to remove it and properly fill in all the holes in the roof than they could have made in selling it. You would think that after all the mistakes that they made, that they would have stood behind their sales rep and accepted the agreement with my two notations (with emails from Tesla supporting BOTH requirements. I suggest going with someone else and saving yourself the headaches of having to deal with a disorganized company. Don’t waste your time. BTW, we tried a couple years ago to buy solar panels from Solar City, but gave up after discovering numerous mistakes on their part. We should have learned from that experience and pursued solar from someone else. But, we thought that Tesla would have a better trained team. Apparently not.

Leonard Aska