Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills.

In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the clean energy company access to a variety of innovative equipments and technologies.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity chevron_right
#2 Sunrun chevron_right
3.6
#3 Solar Optimum chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Monitoring Capabilities
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds
  • Referral Program
  • Time in Business

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of financing options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their rooftop solar panel system from SolarCity and make fixed monthly payments. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the homeowner. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming the federal investment tax credit and any other state tax credit or other incentives that may be available.

Customers who decide to purchase their solar PV system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look.

Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Monitoring Capabilities

SolarCity customers can access real-time insights and historical data about their solar production and home energy use from anywhere in the world through the Tesla app. This allows customers to check in on system performance and ensure that everything is working as it should be.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity.

Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry.

The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments.

The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

Referral Program

SolarCity allows its customers to give five of their friends a 5-year extended limited warranty on a new solar energy system installation, as well as earn referral rewards.

For up to five qualifying referrals, the referrer will receive $250 cash or credit. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral installation date and can be used toward new Tesla products or accessories.

Time in Business

SolarCity has been providing rooftop  solar power systems to home and business owners for more than a decade, which is a relatively long time in the solar industry. This has allowed SolarCity to gain valuable experience and establish a foothold in the market.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself.

Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many reviewers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance and answers to questions.

Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and power purchase agreement. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.6

Deborah Gottlick
December 10th, 2019 Finksburg, MD DETAILS

If you are thinking of getting solar panels installed at your house…please don’t do it. I signed up for the FREE solar panels with Solar City (now Telsa). I was told that my rate would be locked in, that the panels would produce most of my utility bill, and that I would receive annual checks for the production that was sold into the grid. Sounds good right. Once they install it onto your roof, you never see a service technician again. If you need any updates to your home, you have to pay them to remove and reinstall the panels. Not only do I have to pay $178/month to lease the panels, but I an still continually paying my utility provider an additional $300/month. I am now averaging over $500/month (together). Did I mention that I’m never at home because I have a full time job. I use a woodstove for heat. In addition, I pay professional tree service every year to trim trees away from the house. The savings you are promised…is NOT what you get…NOT even close.

Tom
December 4th, 2019 Antioch, CA DETAILS

Tesla installed a solar system on my house in September 2019. This is the worst company to deal with. They never return actual responses to their customer care emails. They refused to demonstrate the system actually works nor applied for the utility interconnection agreement until I paid the full amount of the entire project. Yet their contract says they are responsible for permitting and who pays for something that they do not even know if it will actually work All they had to do was get the interconnection agreement and turn it on for 5 minutes to show it works. Also, their roof mounted system is a perfect haven for pigeons and other birds to nest under the panels creating nest and excrement piles that result in water backup and eventual roof leaks. They do not recognize this design defect nor tell you about it as a problem. After the fact for a big added price, they offer to fix the problem. Why not build the fix into the contract price. If neighbors had not told me of the problem, I would have probably had roof leaks as my first indication of the design defect. I would never recommend dealing with Tesla (was Solar City). I'd give zero stars if possible

Chelijam
November 19th, 2019 Granada Hills, CA DETAILS

I got my panels before the Tesla buyout. After having the panels put I realized I need additional panels as we are going over our usage. I was told at the time of the contract that if we go over we can have Solar City come out and they can install another panel at no charge. This would of course increase my monthly payment but stop the overage. Unfortunately, I didn't move quick enough and the change happened. When I reached out to Tesla they won't add 1 additional panel unless I pay $5000.00 plus additional fees up front. WTH?? I reviewed my contract doesn't say anywhere about an additional charge for additional panels other than what was original agreed to. Now I'm paying my monthly in addition to a huge overage to LADWP. Thanks Elon for ruining what was once a decent company. And yes their website only caters to their stupid exploding overprised cars. I do not recommend any Tesla product to NO ONE. Thumbs down!

Roger Harrison
November 13th, 2019 Waikoloa, HI DETAILS

5 yrs ago paid in full for then Solar City to install roof panels. Company bought out by Elon Musk from his cousin / became Tesla Solar. Septem2018 company contacted us saying our panels needed to be replaced due to electrical problems. Have called so many times in last 12 months to no avail. Cannot get crew here in Waikoloa, Hi when replacements are in a warehouse in Kona. They do not help in anyway except I tell us there are no installers or replacement employees on this island!! So 14 months later we are no where and paying high utility bills every month. Our worry is that this new Tesla Solar may just claim bankruptcy & only do large projects!

John Pugliese
October 28th, 2019 Hope, RI DETAILS

Don't get involved with SolarCity/Tesla. It will only cost you money. You will save nothing. If you decide to sell your home, the 20 year contract is considered a lease and may disqualify a potential buyer. DON'T GET INVOLVED. Keep your current electric company and stop using so much electricity. Shut off the lights.....

William Tejada
October 17th, 2019 Northridge, CA

My system is donw, since September 14, 2019 is now October 17, 2019 no one have reach out to me, no one had come to fix it, no one care, no one want to be responsable. this is Tesla Worse company in Solar Business.

Christopher
October 16th, 2019 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Tesla took over Solar City in Arizona. Since February of this year 2019, I have been without solar power. According to Tesla, they do not have any of the panels or converters in their warehouse to replace my system. It is now October. I have a leak in my roof and I have asked them, since I need to get a new roof installed, could they please take off the solar panels now, and apply the new panels when they get them in the warehouse. You would think that since they are going to do it anyway, they could send a crew out and just take these ones off so I can redo my roof. They stated that they would charge me approximately $5000 to do this. I argued with them that they have to change out the panels anyway. I asked them to please take off the panels and reinstall the new ones when they get them in the warehouse. I'm still waiting almost 9 months later. I also informed them that I am currently still paying the company every month directly out of my checking account and not receiving anything in return. They cited company policy. I'm sick of big companies ripping people off and not helping out someone who is loyal to them, ( pay direct deposit)...In my opinion nobody should EVER do business with a company like this. They have the means to take off the current panels and will do it anyway. I Absolutely hate this company and how they do business and treat their clients. Do NOT get solar from this company. You will be sorry. Twelve more years on this contract. Do not get Tesla solar.

Phyllis Bretholtz
October 15th, 2019 Cambridge, MA DETAILS

Solar Pest Solutions LLC Phyllis Bretholtz Posting publicly. Learn more 5 ***** for Dan L who has been fabulous to work with. He did a beautiful job of installing screening to keep squirrels or any other creatures out of my panels. In addition, he called back very quickly in response to a message that I could not reach anyone at Tesla. He said he would follow up and I totally trust him. HOWEVER...... At this point in time, I am giving TESLA customer service a 0. I have tried 3X to reach customer service through the phone number listed and have always been directed to a website. I want to talk to a service representative and without that option, I am totally frustrated and dissatisfied. And now to add to my frustration, the button below this blue line that lists "Post" is not accessible, so I cannot figure out how to post this review. All of which adds to my frustration and dissatisfaction with TESLA. Add photos

Wayne Allen
September 20th, 2019 Yerington, NV DETAILS

Was sold on the savings of the electrical bill and no up front costs. ( since my local power company kept advertising how their cost of power sold was at a 20 year low but my bills kept going going up as their "basic service charges" had increased 3 fold in that same 20 year time) I signed on and everything was as promised. I was equally sold on their statement that only a small system was needed as my installation would be optimum as my roof faced south. My average monthly charge was $56. (as evidenced by the charges when the system was in storage while being transferred to my new residence) When my site survey was performed before installation at my new residence. I was in formed that the system would no longer be as efficient as in my old location as my roof was steeper and that the system was now going to be split in order to fit my new roof. The system would now be facing Northwest and Southwest. Bills are now $98 and no one will explain why. They just keep billing me. I have pro-actively tried to get an explanation to no avail. I believe that my system was originally "dialed down" to meet the "selling pitch". But when the system was moved all bets were off. The system generates way more power than I can ever use causing 2 years worth of power credit with my local power company that I can never collect on. Meanwhile Solar City/Tesla keeps charging me for about 25% more than what it would cost to purchase power from the local power company. Where is there a class action suit that I can participate in?

Mary Rogers
September 20th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

Solar city was great when they came to install the system. But a year later our inverter failed. And we are STILL trying to get it replaced!! Meanwhile, we are not producing any energy in one of the sunniest times of the year. And our True Up rises.... 🤬

Dan Harper MD
September 17th, 2019 San Diego, CA DETAILS

The installation was sloppy, requiring roof repair. Within two years, the solar panels were only producing 10% of the potential of the panels. our bills went from less than $35 per month to $1200 since the panels did not perform as promised. for the last two years, we were promised replacement panels, but none have come. We were told that the replacement panels were not available yet. however, we see new panels being installed by Solar City all around us. Buyer beware-- they do not honor their promises or warranties.

John J. Smith
September 17th, 2019 Scottsdale, AZ DETAILS

I have been extremely disappointed with my Tesla (Solar City) solar system. My contract stated the the first year of production should be ~20,744kwh however on my first year anniversary of the startup of my system, it has only produced 17,765kwh. When I call Tesla support they informed me that they show my system is performing with in parameters. Matter of fact, they sent me a different contract the I had which now adjusted the contract and falsified the performance numbers to mitigate correcting my concern. Also, when I first install my system, I was able to use the Solar City app to track the performance of my system but in Aug they shut down the Solar City app and transfer over to the Tesla app which appear to cater their vehicles because the solar monitoring section is extremely lacking. I would not recommend Tesla solar system product to anyone.

dina REMENYUK
September 4th, 2019 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

the customer service is horrible. One of my inverters stopped working. I was waiting do 10 days for a technician, only to find out he can't fix it and I need new inverter. Now they tell me it's backordered and I'm waiting for almost a month. This is the hottest month of the year, AC is working day and night, but nobody cares

Miguel guevara
August 27th, 2019 Absecon, NJ

Omg where do I start, in few words this is the worst company an customer service ever hands down. If you wanna be on hold for 1 hour an 20 minutes all the times his is the company for you..ok here we go they mess up our roof an never came back an fix it, rain was leaking in the roof for God knows how long mold started building up in the attic.. I had to file an Ins claim in order to get it fixed cuz I didn’t have $40,000 to spare .. Horrible experience

Linda Cohen
August 23rd, 2019 DETAILS

The worst. They lied, and misrepresented what the savings would be. They installed it on a roof that they knew would need to be replaced. When I had to reroof, they told me it would be $2,000 to take the panels off and put them back. With the lease payments, I'm paying more than I was, and they won't do anything about it. Awful!!!

Huangjen Chen
August 20th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

I am extremely disappointment about Solar City or Tesla product quality as well as customer services. I have 20-year prepaid program with Solar City. In just 3-4 year, the solar panel fail. Every time rain, the system will fail for few days. It was so difficult to connect to human, at least one hour. Finally, Tesla agreed the defect of the panel for replacement. Then I was put in the waiting list. Originally, Tesla promised to replace my panel in one to two months. However, nothing happen. It is more than 9 months now. When I finally connected to a human in Tesla, he told me I am not in priority. I need to wait for few more month. I have a friend in the same area. As a new customer, they called Tesla after I filed the complain, but Tesla already install their solar panel few month ago. That is why I am not in priority. When I check Tesla's review, I was not surprise why there are so many people give Tesla 1-star rating.

Mark F
August 20th, 2019 Halethorpe, MD DETAILS

Great service great company. my install went perfectly and i couldn't be more happy about the results and the money im saving.

H Darak
August 16th, 2019 Shelton, CT DETAILS

I have had problems with Solar City right from the start, but my latest issue really takes the cake. My system was not giving me 100% of it's capabilities. Even though they claim they monitor each system, I had to call them and tell them that there was an issue. The solution to my problem, which should have taken 3 -4 weeks maximum, took well over four months. It took numerous calls, numerous appointments, missed appointments (by them), rescheduled appointments, etc. Now, every person I talked to is nice and understanding. But, they are only responsible for a very small piece of a very large company and it took a lot of my time and effort to get everyone at their company on the same page. With all of the other solar companies out there, do your homework....get multiple quotes....check sites like this one on the customer satisfaction scores.

Dana lynn
August 11th, 2019 Chino Hills, CA DETAILS

FALSE CONTRACTS I signed a three-page contract ended up with a supposed docuserve 25 page contract I never signed they charged me for what I produce every month and not what I use my bill went from an average of $89 a month to $700 to $900 per month. I get harassing calls every week and a lot of legal documentation threatening me to turn off power and call a 20 year contract due and payable at that moment with a monthly average of $750 and solar fees to be assessed. I'm a widow with four children I got solar to bring down my expenses... It's the biggest expense I have now besides my house payment. I've been dealing with this since 2015.

Joanne Schneider
August 2nd, 2019 Albany, NY DETAILS

I had Solar City panels installed in 2015. The sales and installation team were very accessible and emphasized active and responsive customer support with the lease agreement. At the time of the installation, I had an older roof and they assured me the roof was in good enough shape for installation AND that, when I needed to replace my roof, I could call and arrange for Solar City to remove (and then reinstall) the panels in a timely manner. The charge for this is nominal ($499). It is now August 2019 and I need a new roof (due to a leak) and the best Solar City can do is put me on a wait list with an estimated time frame of "maybe late October/beginning of November 2019". If I need to act sooner, then I can choose to pay an outside contractor to remover the panels (at a significantly higher cost) and I can pray they are not damaged in the process, as I will be liable for the condition of the panels. Among other things, I was told by a supervisor at Solar City/Tesla customer support that they do not consider a leaky roof an "emergency" unless the leak is caused by Solar city's equipment. Their customer support is not helpful and I look forward to when I can end my lease agreement and move to another company.

Emmanuel Adjasu
August 1st, 2019 Chula Vista, CA DETAILS

This is the worst company I have ever had the unfortunate pleasure to do business with in my entire 20 yrs stay in California!!! Contract wasn’t transparent period. What i was made believe wasn’t what was actually delivered, I’m just finding that out after they transferred my contract to Tesla energy. Simply put my energy costs now is $200 more than I was paying while just using the grid without any change in usage. They claim they didn’t put enough panels so I should sign a new agreeement for another 20 yrs to get more panels to meet my needs. Their customers service agents are rude once you finally get hold of one. Please stay away from this company or what it now calls itself Tesla. Emmanuel

Maureen Reyes
July 25th, 2019 West Covina, CA DETAILS

Poor customer service!!!! Took over the lease when we purchased our home. Worst decision of our life and now we are stuck for 20years. My panel did not produced for 3 months and did not alert us. Our bills for summer was through the roof. No reimbursement from this company to help pay my utility bill. This was addressed to company but useless costumer service. The datas are not accurate and they changes the numbers of consumption and production on the account. Seems very shady! Do not use this solar company or you will be doomed

Omar
July 24th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Am saving money.no problems.FORGET THE NEGATIVE REWIE. you need a companies with $$$ power.OTHERS dont have it.

Janetta Sikes
July 16th, 2019 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

I was scammed lied to and deceived from day one when the salesman approached me. I had no computer or printer at the time and when I asked for a hard copy he told me everything was done online. He told me he wasn't selling anything they only wanted me as a host for the panels. He said it would not cost me anything, the panels were paid for by a Government subsidy and Solar City would pay me for any extra energy the panels produced. All that was lies and just the beginning of the nightmare since it started in 2016. There is so much to it I cannot write it all right here. I will skip to the present day though. Tesla bought Solar City since then. I checked my credit report the other day and Tesla reported I owed them $37,000.00 in 2016 @ $135. 00 per month. My current balance to them is over $33,000.00!! I knew nothing of this and never agreed to any of this! Tried calling to talk to someone and it is like pulling teeth to talk to a real person! What a scam!! RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM SOLAR PANEL COMPANIES!!! THEY ARE RIP OFFS!!! Janetta S.

Mary
July 16th, 2019 Sun City, AZ DETAILS

Our solar panels have stopped producing since 12/25/18. They said you will get and email in 3 weeks. Nothing I had to follow up. Again I was told 3 week and again I had to follow up. This kept happening and I was told different information. The panels were bad not sealed right and had to be replaced. Then it was a recall. Never got any information about a recall and they don’t have enough techs. I finally reported them to the Arizona Attorney General’s off. Fast forward to April 12 I get a text they schedule service on April 15th. Same day I got a response from the Attorney General office asking if Tesla has taken care of the issue. So now my panels are replaced but they system still is not working. I get my service text on April 17th that a tech will be out on May 2nd. He comes out I need a new inverter. The system appears to be working. Then 2 days later I have a notice that it’s not producing again. I get a tech that on May 10th that a tech is coming out on 5/20. They come out it’s a bad inverter again. He said two weeks well two weeks pass and I haven’t heard from anyone. I get a text on 7/3 they will be out on 7/23. I have been talking to Dean G he has been a little helpful but in the begging he never called me back. I have also left a couple Message for Cassandra C I never heard from her. So I am now on to 6 months and my system has only produced for 1 day. In my lease I know I get money back when it doesn’t produce. But I don’t think it will cover all the extra money I am paying to APS. Plus I am still paying my monthly lease fee on a system that doesn’t work money money out of our packets. The company is a joke. We have a Tesla 3 and the car side of service is also a joke. Do no go with Tesla for solar or car. They should have never bought it from Solar City. We should have been given an option to have it removed or sign new contracts with Tesla. Anyone know how to get out of the contract let me know.

Peter Cipolletti
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

3 Months to fix a downed inverter with no Compensation... Imagine your car was in the shop for 3 months with no loaner while on lease? Worst. Customer. Service. Ever!

VICTOR FOLTZ
June 21st, 2019 Winter Garden, FL DETAILS

MY SYSTEM WAS NOT DESIGNED TO MEET THE CONTRACTED NEED OF 109%. IN ADDITION, IT WAS DESIGNED TO 15.25 KW. ACTUAL IS 12.6 KW. PROPOSED MONTHLY COST IS INCORRECT. ACTUAL COST OF THE SYSTEM MONTHLY LOAD PAYMENT AND LOCAL UTILITY EXCEEDS AMOUNT IF UTILITY ONLY

Fernando De Gasperis
June 14th, 2019 Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I had a SolarCity system (panels + inverter) installed almost 3 years ago. The purchase, permitting and installation processes were handled very well. They took care of obtaining all permits with the city and scheduled all inspections. I was able to sign and submit every document electronically through their website. My electric panel needed to be upgraded prior to the installation of the panels, and SolarCity took care of that too. The installation itself took two days: one for the electric panel and another day for the solar panels and inverter. Overall, the solar panels are able to offset 70% of my electricity needs, which are not small, considering charge my electric car daily and I drive it between 70 and 90 miles every day, use a infra-red electric sauna daily and run the AC at home throughout the summer. I also can monitor the electricity generated in real-time through the Tesla app and SolarCity website. My estimate is that the savings I get are around $2,500 and $3000 a year - including the cost of the system. It is very easy to monitorI highly recommend SolarCity.

D.H. North Texas
June 12th, 2019 Haslet, TX DETAILS

DO NOT USE SOLAR CITY. PERIOD. Once you sign the contract, Solar City places a lien on your home. Solar City does not call it a lean, but in Texas, all lending institutions will tell you it is. Myself and neighbor learned of this when applying for a home equity loan. The lease is 20 years, non-cancellable. Yes, I didn't read all the fine print, my error and I will pay for it. If you sell your home, the new buyer must assume the contract or pay the remainder of the lease OR you can move it to your new residence or you pay off the lease. total cost of the life of the lease $58K. I wish we had recorded the sales person speech, my neighbor and I both remember them telling us that at any time we are not satisfied they will remove at no cost. Obviously reading through the contract - that option does not exist. Our system has never covered our usage nor have we ever generated credits. We received a refund for the past 12 months due to underperforming system. Each year they raise the lease payments the max of 2.9%, you need to figure that in when determining total cost. Tesla is a failing company designed solely around Government subsidies for solar power. They receive all state and federal credits for the solar work, you receive zero. They lock you in to a 20 year revenue stream for them. Wouldn't you love to have a guaranteed cash flow over 20 years?

john riganati
June 12th, 2019 Harwich, MA DETAILS

first of all dont expect to save any money with them. they have terrible servive people and they are very hard to get hold of if you need to.i have a hair salon and i tell all my customers not to have them installed by tesla or solar city whatever name they are going by these days. but i have saved hundreds of people from getting ripped off by them just by word of mouth,that is my only satisfaction.

Rochelle Boggess
June 7th, 2019 Villas, NJ DETAILS

I think you are the worst company out there and you take advantage of people there is no savings with you it cost me with you as and with the electric company I pay two big Bill's roof leaks and you don't fix it

JHH
June 5th, 2019 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

SolarCity installed my leased system in August 2016. This system has never produced what the sales agent told me that I could expect. At the end of my install cycle each year, I owe SoCal Edison over $1200 for energy that was Edison supplied. When my lease payment each month is added to the amount overage that Edison charges for what energy they supplied, I am now paying MORE for electricity with both SolarCity + Edison than when I only had Edison (before the SolarCity installation and turnon). Had I not installed SolarCity, and had I just kept Edison only, my electrical bills would be almost $100 per month less! Today I called SolarCity customer service and requested that someone come and inspect my installation for possible defects and to tell me why it is not producing energy like I was promised by the sales agent. The rep refused. This ensued in a very bad argument with her and she still refused to send anyone out for a system check. I asked to speak to her supervisor, and of course, that too was refused. SolarCity refuses to do anything to remedy my situation, or even to make certain that the system is producing as it should. The customer service rep said that the computer says that my system is working and that there are no computer reported problems, therefore nobody can come for the inspection. BUT HOW WELL IS THIS SYSTEM WORKING? The solar system obviously is producing some energy, but it falls way short in the amount of energy promised by the sales agent, and falls far less than other systems produce. This system is probably producing about 50% efficency, maybe less. When I insisted that I wanted an inspection, and stated that was their responsibility, she told me that I would have to pay $200 ahead of time to get an inspection. I refused. Of course the answer was nothing was going to be done. I explained that today the temperature reached 97° for the first time this year, and I turned on the air conditioner for the first time. Checking my Edison smart meter it is clear to see that the solar system does not supply enough energy to even run the air conditioner, the arrows on the meter are moving toward Edison as supplying the energy to run the air conditioning. This condition is totally wrong. Obviously, my solar system IS NOT producing, and it at least deserves an inspection. Secondly, the computer communication from the inverter to the small box that connects into my computer system is not working and has not worked for over a year. I cannot monitor what is happening with the solar installation. Like the other issue, the computer service woman refused any remedy here too. I am contemplating legal recourse now, as that appears to be my only recourse. PLEASE, IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING SOLARCITY AS AN INSTALLATION, DO NOT EVER DO BUSINESS WITH THEM. Choose SunRun instead, the ratings are much higher and the satisfaction and the panels that SunRun installs are better. I wish now that I could have my SolarCity system totally removed and go with SunRun instead. What a horrible mistake to use SolarCity. Know, also, that If you do have SolarCity, and have an issue with the SolarCity system, you will get no assistance, only total refusal. They do not care about you or the system that they installed. All they care about is their monthly money from you. You will be totally forgotten and TOTALLY REFUSED ANY ASSISTANCE OR REMEDY FOR A FAULTY SYSTEM. Just NEVER use them. If you do, YOU WILL BE SORRY! And you will have no recourse if your SolarCity system does not work correctly or fails.

Mary Garcia
May 20th, 2019 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Terrible customer service. Money saved (if any) is not worth the time spent with a customer service department that does not deliver. We have issues with panels and leaking. Issues are not resolved on a timely basis. DO NOT consider Solar City.

Julie
May 13th, 2019 Douglas, MA DETAILS

I have nothing but problems from day 1 first an electrical problem that lasted a year & still not fixed right. Now three years later my roof is leaks and no support to remove the panels so the roof can be fixed. I have been waiting for over a month. Poor Business & Customer Service

Connie Hall
May 9th, 2019 Beacon, NY DETAILS

The New York State tax credits described by the sales person were that the full annual amount of my lease payments would be deductible for about 6 years or 30% of the value of the product (between $3,000 and $4,000). In actuality, I was only able to include the payments I made in the first calendar year. Since it was up and running in September this amounted to about $180. Not cool.

Ralph Merullo
May 9th, 2019 Burlington, MA DETAILS

We have a system which was installed in 2011 and has been generating between 900 to 10,000 KW per year. However this year system trips 40 Amp circuit breaker continuously with no solution from Solar City after multiple calls and e-mails. No financial relief has been offered by Solar City and no technical solutions are in sight. Very dis-appointed. I would not do business with this company in the future.

Sawyer D
April 29th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Thanks for allowing a system size under 3 KW. I was told you wouldn't for a loan, but for cash, you did. Haven't had any technical issues. I'm afraid if I did, I'd be on my own or face long long hold times. Also, your offer of move the panels for $2000 is too good to be true. They should have insisted on attic run for conduit. Very nice crew, they did offer some special install services, but attic run should have been seriously impressed on me.

Jared
April 22nd, 2019 Bothell, WA DETAILS

Overall my experience with SolarCity/Tesla has been amazing. Great customer service every time I've called to get a status update or help move the process forward. Installers that came out were contracted (around March 2019) and did an amazing job. SolarCity/Tesla upgraded me to the newest panel for free as well due to supply issues (SC330 instead of SC320), and my panels are doing amazingly!

Janet L. Reed
April 17th, 2019 Rancho Santa Fe, CA

I purchased a solar system from Tesla Solar in August of 2018 (6 months ago). I specifically asked my salesman, the designers and the installers if my roof was OK prior to installation. I was assured the roof was fine. Now the roof is leaking badly and a licensed roofer has advised me I need a new roof. The under layment (paper or felt) has failed. I am fine replacing/paying for the roof, but Tesla is charging me $4,555 for them to remove the solar panels and replace them, and I am not fine with that cost. I feel Tesla bears some responsibility since I specifically asked them about the condition of my roof. At no time did they recommend I consult a roofer prior to solar installation. Now they are saying that according to the terms of my contract, they are not responsible for roof leaks not caused by them and they only certified that my roof was strong enough to hold the weight of the panels. That was not the case. They are not willing to help me at all and suggested I could call another solar company to remove and replace the panels. I should have called another solar company in the first place. My salesman has gone to bat for me, but to no avail. Beware if dealing with Tesla Solar.

W A Yendrzeski
April 15th, 2019 Prescott Valley, AZ

I’m very happy with Solar City... My Rep went over our billing since we move to AZ Prescott Valley.. He said we would only need 10 panels to cover our costs. I decided to add 1 more panel. We use APS for our electrical system. I reviewed all the options for getting the system. I choose the pay up front option and make no payments. Solar City owns the system and must maintain it. Since installation of Nov 2012 we were on line by Jan 2013 the delay going to city inspection and APS doing there approval. The only issue we have had was the control panel quit working and I called that afternoon and Solar rep was there the next morning and solved the problem... None since. I can monitor my system online. I will brake even in 2 years. I pay APS basic fixed cost 99% of the time. Can’t beat that... I recommend this company to friends and they are all happy... Great company to work with... 5 STARS

DZinter
April 12th, 2019 Anaheim, CA DETAILS

Our panels stopped functioning and they continued to charge me without coming to fix them for 9 months. Their customer service is awful. They send you around in circles to the point my senior father was in near tears.

Keith
April 12th, 2019 New Rochelle, NY DETAILS

All went well my instillation ~2 years ago. I was very happy with the process but 2 years on things have changed: #1: my estimated production was 14,000 kilowatts but the actual production has been 11,000 Kilowatts which is significantly worse than estimated. #2: I just found out that my local town never issued a CO once the project was completed. I had the building inspector come by. There were 3 issues that needed to be resolved special stickers need to be placed on a conduit and electric meter and they need a certificate of inspection. I then called Tesla/Solarcity and the customer service person said the operations team would need to handle it and would email them. It has been a week and I have not herd from the them. In addition, they did not know what an instillation certificate was. When I asked them to contact the building department they said they "do not call the city to ensure completion." I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that it would take 24 to 72 hours to get a call back. When I asked how was my problem going to be resolved the representative said that she would have to wait for the operations department to get back to me but she did not know when that would be. She said to try back tomorrow. They were very good on the install but on the follow up terrible. Do not use. They are not the only solar company in town.

Ryan
April 10th, 2019 Coopersburg, PA DETAILS

This review may come as a surprise, but we just found out the solar produced by our system has not been registered since 2017. No joke! We have no idea how much energy has been produce or consumed by our house. How is that even possible? I’ve asked for details and they cannot pinpoint the failure yet. Our monthly bill has just been an estimated usage amount for a house of similar size. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!! Cannot be anymore clearer than this review.

Don B
April 10th, 2019 Solvang, CA DETAILS

it's too bad I can't give them less than one star. In a nutshell here is how it's gone. Sales guy come out and gives us his speech, I point out that the concrete shingles I have on my roof were not made to walk on; he says "no problem" they do these all the time. Month later the install crew shows up. On the first day they break 600 tiles. I'm told "no problem". Second and third day they break almost 2000 more. Finally agree to send a roofing crew (of their choice) out to re-roof my house as they install the panels. I'm told "no problem". All seems OK until it rains, then the nail holes they left, and the skylights they flashed incorrectly start to leak. I'm told "no problem". They will send a crew out to identify the location and fix the leak. The guy they send up in to the attic is working his first day on the job. He doesn't have a camera but does have his cell phone which is also his flashlight. Three minutes in to his attic excursion he puts his foot through the ceiling in the kitchen. I'm told "no problem". This was January of 2019. I am assigned an "Executive Resolution Specialist" who's name was Jade T. Back and forth we go with documents, bids, pictures etc. The first week of March I stop hearing from her, I leave voice messages, send emails, call her number,,, nothing. Find out 5 weeks later she is "no longer with the company" (I guess she had a problem). It's April 9th and I'm still waiting for a check from these clowns because the "approval hasn't been obtained yet and "it's a problem". I can only say one thing... DO NOT, under any circumstances do business with this company. If their lips are moving they are lying and they will say ANYHTING to get you to do business with them.

David
April 10th, 2019 Templeton, CA DETAILS

Our solar went out November 2018, the panels where damaged by the rain. We called and where told it would be fixed by spring. We called 5 times. They just kept giving us the run around. We have been paying PGE plus solar city for 5 months and they still have not fixed it. We have honored our part of the contract and are ready to seek legal assistance to get this resolved. Do not use solar city their products are faulty and their customer services are worse,

KV
April 5th, 2019 Fresno, CA DETAILS

I have been with SolarCity for over a year now, and have had a very hard time getting quality service. Its been 3 months now and my inverter is still malfunctioning and has still not been fixed yet. Although I have been patiently waiting, I can't afford to pay my regular electric bill and SolarCity's contractual monthly fees at the same time -- what's the point of having solar? My customer service experience has not been very good, many times I've had to wait a long time to get assistance and then I still have to end up calling every other two weeks to get an update on my inverter to get fixed. Recently my autopay was removed in their system so I had to call and get "extra" charges removed and reset my autopay. MySolarCity.com online account does not allow you to see your account payment setups, statements, billing history, etc. --- so what's the point of an online account? Its been reported over a year ago and still not fixed. These things such as good customer service, a fully-functioning online account (where you can make payments), and reliable service are very crucial to a long-term contract (20 years!) relationship. So think about these things before you sign the contract, are you up to this kind of frustration? I would not even rate 1 star but this site doesn't allow that, so 1 star is the least I could choose.

Stacey
April 5th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

We have been a solar city customer since 2007. We referred many of our neighbors to Solar City. Since our roof is 30 years old we decided to have it replaced before it started to leak and cause damage. Solar City advises us there was a 5 month waiting list and the cost to remove and reinstall will be over 4K. While we had no choice but to agree to this insane charge, the aftermath was even worse! Solar City showed up and removed all of the panel which were stored in my garage. The very next day, it rained for 3 solid days INSIDE MY HOUSE! There were over 50 holes RAINING in my house causing 15K worth of damage! Never did anyone inform us of the exposure, offer to cover or plug the holes, NOTHING. It was absolutely horrible raining inside my house because of the damage caused by Solar City. I wrote to Solar City with copies of every invoice and photo and requested they waive the charge to reinstall to offset the damage we incurred and they refused! Beware of the damage to your roof when they install the panels, hope and pray you never have to remove the panels and any type of reasonable compensation is non existent.

Joel E
April 1st, 2019 Yonkers, NY DETAILS

Excellent installation and quality panels. Solarcity actually was able to deliver what I couldn’t get from Sungevity. I’m very happy with their product

loretta pramick
March 29th, 2019 New Castle, DE DETAILS

I love my experience with Solar City and its employees. My panels are producing as promised and I am saving lots of money. I have recommended to friends and family and they are pleased also. The panels look good on my house and there were no issues with the installation.

Pete
March 26th, 2019 Cathedral City, CA DETAILS

This is not a good experience. My transformer stopped working and it took a month to replace. And they are rude,