SolarCity

SolarCity Logo

6.3

20 hours ago

SolarCity

Reviews reveal customers' biggest gripe: lack of customer service

Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills. In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the company access to a variety of innovative energy equipment and technology.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of payment options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their solar panel system from SolarCity and pay a fixed amount each month. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the customer. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming federal and state tax credits and incentives.

Customers who decide to purchase their system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look. Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity. Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry. The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments. The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself. Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many customers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance. Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and PPA. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.7

Concerned Consumer
May 24th, 2018 El Dorado Hills, CA

If I could give them less than one star, I would. My uncle died back in January and he had leased SolarCity panels for his home. My grandmother inherited the house, fixed his house up, and sold the house. Prior to the house completing escrow, the new buyers requested the panels be removed, as they did not trust SolarCity. My grandmother and the realtor have contacted SolarCity numerous times and it took weeks for them to return a call, at which point they lied, stating they contacted the new buyers, when they had not. Since then, they've been playing games, stating they're going to remove the panels but never actually doing it, stating they have a lien, they don't have a lien, etc etc. Grandmother just talked to a lawyer today, who advised her to buy the panels because SolarCity is a horrible company that's going to force them to buy the panels in the end one way or another and that they were going to end up tied up in court against SolarCity for years and for excessive attorney fees and there still wasn't any guarantee SolarCity would remove the panels. Buyer beware.

Minnie Maniquis
May 18th, 2018 West Covina, CA DETAILS

We leased our solar panels from Solar City two years ago. Aside from our monthly bill from solar city, we were billed by SCE $575 this year and around $375 last year. I called SCE and I was told that we were getting that much energy from them. Why weren’t we told of this by Solar City when we signed up? This is a rip off!

Patricia grunwald
May 18th, 2018 San Jacinto, CA DETAILS

Solar City SUCKS!! Customer service!! What customer service? I’m almost 60yrs and they told me get on my 2 story roof and hose if panels! The panels were not producing more than 20% on average so my $300 per month bill from SCE stayed the same and I now had on average $240 from solar city so my electric costs $550 -&600 a month. They would NOT come check panels, return my phone calls, and their acct receivable SUCKS! Paid them through my bank and checks were not cashed for almost a month!! Plus they lost 2 of my payments. They also upped my rate from .15 to .17. My contract locked in .15 for life . Not! “Elevator” cost what they called it. I cancelled everything and they said they would have a tech call me to set a date to remove panels. No call no show. They are trying to still bill me $7.50/month for producing 0 (cuz my system is shut off. ) Also electric Co tech came by and said my meter was set wrong! Was running to fast at a much higher cost! Anyone interested in a group law suit?

linda blodgett
May 16th, 2018 Citrus Heights, CA DETAILS

I am looking for other people who have solar city panels that are not happy with the panels under producing leaving you with a hefty bill at the end or the year from your electric company . Due to being told lies by the sales team. I have been complaining for 3-4 years now and get the run around and am told we have to put more panels up and not that changing them out to better panels is not a option. The worst experience ever by Solar City/Tesla! I want to start a class action lawsuit

Ralph Mavilla
May 11th, 2018

SolarCity installation was first class came in put 20 panels in 5 hours in oct of 2016 was up and running by Feb. 2017 their customer service does need improvement but horrible waiting for 2 back up walls to be put in Aug. 3

Dennis Ambruso
May 10th, 2018 Prescott, AZ DETAILS

I contacted a Solar City representative by phone. The sales representative was very knowledgeable, friendly, and did a wonderful job. She was not pushy at all making this a pleasant transaction. The installation was very professional and the panels are not even visible from the street. My last bill was -$29.00. I have a 10 year purchase plan which I almost have paid off. I believe this is the best solar around. They told me that during the process, if I wanted to cancel they would. There was no pressure to buy or lease. I have read Elon Musk’s biography. If you read it you will use Solar City.

Peggy Diller
May 9th, 2018 Covina, CA DETAILS

Tesla/Solar City has repeatedly refused to correctly apply payments made to my account to pay off my account even after emailing copies of the posted bank checks to two different individuals. I have contacted them more than 6 times over the past 3 months and no resolution has been made even though many "customer service" responses have promised to have the situation corrected. They will not allow me to talk directly to their finance department as those people "do not deal with the public". In early March they sent me a "shut-off notice"!

Bob Maynard
May 7th, 2018 Litchfield Park, AZ DETAILS

Just got a call from Solar City, saying our system was not producing power. That’s fine but they can’t get here to fix it for over a week!,, So now I have to pay both my electric company for more usage, and a Solar City lease..... Why is that, it’s not my fault they can’t get here for 9 days.....

Chris
May 7th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE SOLAR CITY, AKA TESLA!! In the beginning the whole process was fantastic, until months later I found out that the system that was sold to me wasn't what was explained to me. I informed my Sales Rep that I wasn't interested in OFF PEAK charges, I only wanted to OFFSET MY ON-PEAK CHARGES, which I was assured wasn't a problem. After months of going round and round with APS as well as Solar City over my bills, I was informed that there is no such thing as only producing for ON-PEAK! My Sales Rep never said a word to me when I stated that I was only interested in OFFSETTING PEAK USAGE. With that being said my system shouldn't be 18 panels, it should be more like 28 panels. When I brought this to Solar City's attention all they would say is do you have this in writing! Really! When I tried to get ahold of my old Sales Rep, he is no longer with the Company! WOW I wonder why!!

Craig
May 4th, 2018 Moreno Valley, CA DETAILS

I have had Solar City for almost a year now and everything has been pleasant. There was an issue with the installation but they came back out and rectified everything. There were bigger delays with the city (not) showing up for approvals. Since the system has turned on, our bills have dropped significantly. We didn't go for full power due to heating solar panels for the pool but we received everything as promised and our sales person followed up with us several time to verify everything was working as expected. We highly recommend them and actually did. They have a great referral plan.

Lulu pepi
May 15th, 2018 San Francisco, CA DETAILS

I received a bid in March 2017 and was told that if I responded immediately to the bid then my system might be able to be installed within a month. Thinking that was agressive I planned on getting it operational by July. I then installled a hot tub in my back yard, knowing it would increase my electric bill but that he increase would be offset by my solar production.. It is now May 2018 and my system, which has been fully installed since November 2017, still has not been connected because TESLA/Solar City keep on sending the wrong documents to PGE. I’m still on hold and furious and my electric bills have doubled!!! I can not recommend this company. Too many excuses, explanations and apologies and no action.

Russell Peterson
May 4th, 2018 Paso Robles, CA DETAILS

When I purchased the solar system 11yrs ago and was signing the paperwork My mother happened to be there and I was told I was buying it not leasing it. I paid $11,800 then when I bought another house and was going have it moved to the new house when I called them up only to find I did not buy the system I was leasing it for the next nine years. And I was going to have a new roof put on they said it would cost me almost $5,000 for a roof that was only going to cost $7,000 to reroof. I asked at that time if I could get out of the contract they said NO! So I hope my roof will last another nine years and they can take their system off my roof the very next day. I really believe in having solar but they would not let me add any more panels. When it was installed I had five people living in my house had a six foot waterfall twenty five feet of river into a eight by ten pound that was running all day with a swimming pool pump plus I had a eight by eight hot tub that ran every day. But when kids moved out and I moved in with my mother because she got sick. My wife asked that we redo the backyard no hot tub no pound just grass. You would think I would start making money off it but nothing changed I called and they said they looked into it and everything looked good. Just not for me. I would never buy from Solar City or now they call themselves Tesla Solar. I live in liberal California as soon as I can I will buy from Peterson Dean a U.S Vet that makes the systems in America.

Maria Calderon
May 3rd, 2018 Daly City, CA

My husband set up an in-house appointment for 11:00 A.M., for which no one showed up or called. About 12:30 P.M., my husband called the company and got an answering machine on which he stated our disappointment, he said we were no longer interested in dealing with them and not to call us again, only few days late the manager called us and didn't even apologize :/ he wanted to set up a new meeting. It was irrelevant any more

Julie
April 30th, 2018 DETAILS

We are extremely pleased with our experience with Solarcity From start to finish, the process was very smoot. Our solar system was installed July 2017 and we are looking forward to much more affordable electricity bills this summer. I would highly encourage everyone who qualifies, to move forward with solar with SolarCity/Tesla.

Frank Messina
April 26th, 2018 Sewell, NJ

At first, my experience with Tesla/solar city was not that bad… The sales representative was great. I was originally quoted a solar plan that would eliminate my electric bill. I decided to move forward and get the solar panel system, upon completing a site survey it was found that I needed to address some issues with my roof structure. I completed the roof structure as told so a full system could be installed across the entire roof instead of a partial system. I contact my sales rep and he forwards that information to the design department, I have another site survey completed to confirm that the structure work was completed and is satisfactory. A few days later my sales rep calls me and says that the design can’t be completed due to other roofing issues, which were scheduled to be replaced as part of the sale. It was agreed that Tesla would replace my roof where the panels would be as long as my rafter beams were addressed which they were. I contacted sungevity,which is another solar company, and I am currently in the process of acquiring solar panels with them.

peter mcloughlin
April 18th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

I reviewed all major suppliers in my area before choosing SC. I have no complaints and only praise for the advice, support, installation and operation of the system I chose. We are making substantial savings and when there has been a technical issue SC has be proacative in responding. Highly recommended!

Edward Prowse
April 18th, 2018 Salem, OR DETAILS

When asked how the number of panels to be installed was determined, my partner said, "They ran out of roof." I can explain how my system works but it makes no sense to anyone. Solar City put me on a 20 year contract, and PGE (OR) put me on a 15 year contract. I'm wondering how that's going to work out in 15 years, should I live so long. I pay for energy generated, and I pay an average $21 to PGE because I have two meters. The Solar City contract is tricky. They left a lot out in the sales pitch. They said the system would generate X per year, but it generates X plus 2000 Kwh. I can't use that much power. I discussed this with PGE and Solar City and got nowhere. I found that PGE was paying Solar City for the energy I used. PGE said I could change that, and I did. PGE now pays me for what I use. By having PGE pay me, I am supposed to pay some obscure concern $75 a month. I have not, and nobody is complaining yet. Because of the unclear nature of the contract, I don't know how it will end. Solar City said they would analyse output after a year and maybe take a panel or two off, and they have not. My panels were installed in June, the beginning of the warm season. My air conditioner ran a lot, and I received a payment from PGE, which was nice. Because my panels produce so much, when the warm sunny season was about over, I have had an average of 3000 Kwh in reserve, to be used when the sun doesn't shine. I soon found it necessary to use electric heat to bring down the excess hours, which also meant a larger payment from PGE. My excess hours go away on the 1st of April every year, and my 1st year donation to charity via PGE was 900 hours. This last year my donation was 391 hours, thanks to having panels off of the roof. I get nothing out of that as I don't need any deductions (BTW I did not take any solar credits. As of this writing, my system is 4 years old. In the last year I had a Community Action concern do an energy audit and fix some problems to save energy. About the time they were done, I noticed some red discoloration running down the back of my home. I called the CA outfit and asked if they dropped a dead body in my attic. They came out the next day and found that it wasn't them, but a leak in the roof from the solar panels. I sent an email to Solar City/Tesla about the leak. All of the panels had to be removed, and a new back part of the roof was replaced. There were some confusing times to get it done, but it got done. The panels were replaced, and the power is generating again. For what it cost to do this repair, Tesla is NEVER going to make up for it by what I'm paying for power. While the panels were off, I suggested they keep a few off, but it fell on deaf ears. I'm surprised they didn't just stop the contract as it was NOT making Tesla any money. Didn't happen. I have not had a serious problem with Tesla. The men that came were courteous and efficient. Nothing is perfect but it all got done. When PGE pays me, it can range from $150 to $320. I don't get a 1099 either. I have paid as little as $18 and adding $21 to PGE, it's $39, but the income to me will easily offset that. I'm surprised that Tesla has taken on Solar City's problems, and for what? To get customers to get one of its batteries? One tech mentioned it, but because of contract, I dismissed it. I've filed complaints with the local PUC, and that was enlightening. Also complained to BBB and to Oregon State Attorney General. Part of my complaint to AG made the rounds, and I even had a call from WSJ about it. Don't know what came of that. Would I do it again? Knowing how it has turned out, and if it would turn out the same, yes. Otherwise, no. Would I recommend Solar City to someone else? No. I told a neighbor I would not tell him my company because if it all went wrong, I didn't want him mad at me. So, no referrals. It's been interesting, but solar is a viable answer. Next time, a DIY project may be an alternative.

gaylynn
April 12th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Solar City/Tesla is slow to respond to service issues. My first issue came within 1 month of owning it. The panels went down and they insisted that i had to go home from work to test their panels. I took an hour from my day to do that only to have them say they would have to come out and service them. 1 week later they promised service. This is simply not acceptable. Then another time they went down, i went thru quite a rigamarole only to find out that the problem was their computer was messed up and nothing was wrong with my system. I have NV energy and have NEVER EVER had tom meet a repair person or do anything to have energy. I strongly recommend that you either buy solar or don't have it at all. It has not saved me ANY money and it has cost me in time, aggravation etc. Run, Run, Run from Solar City.

Kevin Regan
April 12th, 2018 Merrimack, NH DETAILS

I have had numerous problems with these guys from being told all expenses in a PPC agreement were theirs (until the tax bill came due, which is more than I save with the panels) and those were mine. They installed panels on a steep roof over an entrance way with no snow break (I live in New Hampshire) and the snow just rolls off the panels laying a foot or more of heavy snow on the deck and anything walking outside (like my dogs once). They again say that isn't their problem, hello I had no issue until the panels went up. We were told again by the salesman we could remove the panels at anytime and walk away but once more it was a lie. We now have no recourse to sell the house and recommend strongly to a new owner to not leave them up. There constant answer is its in the contract and I will admit I never fully read it but their sales guy answered all these question we asked with all the opposite answers of the contract. If they come to your house send them packing.

Jen de Magnin
April 2nd, 2018 Campbell, CA DETAILS

Horrible customer service. Set up to have their solar installed along with two power walls. We decided to go with SC over a local vendor for the sole reason that they told us if we went with SC, the wait for the powerwalls is 4 months, if we ordered just the powerwall from them and solar from someone else, it would be a year. So we decided to do the whole package with them. Because we were installing a new transformer, panels, and sub-panels as part of a huge remodel, they suggested that we have our electrician present during the initial site survey. Well as soon as the ink dried on the contract and deposit was paid, the called claiming “International demand” for the power wall and now it is a 10-12 month delay. When we asked how they could have such poor command of their inventory, and why our priority was not locked in at the 4 months when ordered we got lies and run around. We asked to cancel the contract, have deposit refunded, and costs covered for the wasted time we paid our contractor to meet with them (On their suggestion). I was told when I escalated, a VP would follow up (the expectation THEY set), one never did and instead a low level customer service manager handled our case. I should mention that we own a model X and previously owned a model S so are loyal Tesla customers. We were treated like dirt. After several heated conversations, they finally refunded the $500. After several more escalations through the auto side customer service, they agreed to refund me the $350 from our electrician. Prior to receiving the funds they asked me to sign a cancelation that absolved them of any financial liability and if I did not sign, it automatically took effect in 7 days (so if I signed I would not get either payment, if I didn’t sign they could not pay either anyway after 7 days-what?!?). Finally after 3 weeks of arguing back and forth we got both refunds. So to recap: they lied about availability of power wall to get the solar contract, they lied about the reason for the shortage (well documented fact they are now having issues with built in inverters which is causing production delays), they don’t empower lower customer service reps to do anything to make it right, and argue with paying customers. Oh and have unethical “sign or don’t sign, we are cancelling it and removing liability anyway?!?” Legal agreements. I would run not walk from this company. We are starting to second guess keeping the Tesla car due to this experience with the company.

Kristie Razi
March 29th, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA DETAILS

Solar city is the worst company I have ever worked with!! We had our solar panels installed 9 months ago (July 2017) and THEY ARE STILL NOT WORKING!! We are having to pay our solar bill plus our full PG&E bill every month. We’ve called TESLA Solar multiple times asking for at least reimbursement of our PG&E bills up until this point and they have continued to say, “We can’t pay you until the very end once the system has started to work “. They promised it was going to be up and running in March and it still is not not working. Now our solar panel is broken and who knows how long that is going to take to fix. They have the worst customer service and none of the different departments communicate with each other. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

Jesse Johnson
March 29th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

We did a 20 yr lease with solar city. Biggest mistake we ever made. Sales rep was nice until we needed something. We trusted them to give us a good system. That was a big mistake. They installed our panels on north side of house with shade affecting parts of the panels. Inverter kept shutting off in July when you really need it working. Customer service is one big joke. They actually turned our inverter down so it would stay on costing me more for electricity. I would run from this company.

ghassan karam
March 28th, 2018 White Plains, NY DETAILS

We have had a SolarCity system for about 5 years. We have produced in each year more KWH than we have consumed and so far we have not had to call SolarCity once . The system cannot possibly be more efficient and more trouble free. Our system is leased for a monthly rate of $98 when our bill would have been around 150.00 Actual money savings are not fantastic but that was not the reason that we went solar. Our carbon foot print has been reduced drastically, we received the NYS tax credit and we do get at the current rates about $350-$400 in annual electricity savings. A good deal no matter how you slice it. What I do not understand is why doesn't everyone go solar under similar conditions. Its a win win.

dwight schutt
March 27th, 2018 West Fargo, ND DETAILS

i made a big mistake leasing from these crooks, i now pay more with solar and my other electric company than i did before i let them set this up, do not do anything with these crooks cause thats what they are

RICHARD
March 26th, 2018 Vallejo, CA DETAILS

The installation and all went quite well. I'm still paying as much if not more for services. I just received my annual adjustment and once I add all the numbers I'm no better off than I was without the system. I was told that I would not have much of a bill if any at all. That is not true. I make a monthly payment and in the hole. I've asked for more tiles to offset but they say that I'm good just where I am. How they reach their conclusion I don't know but I was told that if things did not improve, they could simply add tiles. I'm leasing and have heard about better deals from other individuals. Either I change company or continue to pay high electric cost. I was promised and received a poor bill of goods. I should have done a better job comparing but I believed what they were saying. The system did not work properly at first but, to my knowledge, it is working well but I am still paying more. They are not the best in customer service. I wrote to everyone that I had an email for and including just to the company.

Robert Seyfried
March 22nd, 2018 Granite Bay, CA DETAILS

I’ll keep it short! Solar City, I’ve learned the hard way is not an efficient solar energy provider, with some interest in lowering the customers electrical energy costs. They are a hard core SALES ORGANIZATION, who care only about sales only. Their initial promises are a sham and, more the fool me, for buying into same. After almost three (3) years I find that I have basically traded Pg&E for Solar City and my bill is basically what it would be if I had just stayed with PG&E. However, it’s now reaching “critical Mass”. And I am now considering taking action against these hucksters.

Philip Thomas
March 15th, 2018 Mesquite, TX

Solar City Now known as Tesla . I install Solar panels by Tesla couple of month back , the installers messed up my vent fan during the panel installation , on a heavy rainy day the water came through inside the house . i called emergency outside people to fix the vent fan to stop the leaking pay $ 450 . then i called Tesla they came and look after one month no response . then i call them they said this is exiting issue. WATER LEAK FROM ROOF THROUGH VENT TO INSIDE THE HOUSE IS IT EXITING? ? STAY AWAY FROM SOLAR CITY TESLA Philip Thomas ( Mesquite)

Shirley Davis
March 15th, 2018 Reisterstown, MD DETAILS

If you like paying two utility companies a month then maybe you’ll like solar city. The panels don’t generate much energy, so I receive a utility bill around $400-500 a month from (BGE) my gas and electric company and a bill of $140 from Solar City. I’ve contacted both companies and was told from BGE that most of the electric being generated is coming from them. I reached out to Solar City and their response was the savings will come. When??? The worst part about Solar City is they promise you a lot up front and lock you into a RIDICULOUS contract. Getting solar panels with them is like signing your life away. I would discourage anyone from using their service.

Arnold Rand
March 12th, 2018 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

Over Two years ago we had solar panels installed that was able to reduce our electric impute less than SMUD ,our average with SMUD was $90.00 A month ,The company told us in the contact that if they didn,t produce less on the second year,they would reimburse the difference ,We are paying over $90 a month plus a fee to SMUD of $24.00 ,Also Smud bills us year up to $400. for elect that The solar did not produce. They also would not reimburse the Differance . Best any one find another company for solar .Their customer service will not help with your claims. Even The CEO Of that Company will not reply to Several Letters sent to his HQ

CYNTHIA SAJOR
March 8th, 2018 Madera, CA DETAILS

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't go with solar city and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. I was told I would be saving a lot of money and that I would break even at the very least. I don't consider a $1200.00 bill at the end of the year breaking even. They can fix this by adding another system at my cost!

Dedward Schneider
May 7th, 2018 Yermo, CA DETAILS

My husband had Solar City installed, recommended by a friend. I has been terrible. Now we pay a large Electric Bill and a Bill from Edison as well. I would really like to get out of the contact. My spouse is 82 years old and I am retired. Solar City is eating up our budget.

Richard Jolley
March 8th, 2018 Sacramento, CA DETAILS

I have had SolarCities garbage on my roof for 2 years, I am paying more for electricity and in October I get a nice bill of about $1000.00, no one can explain why or figure out the billing process, including the managers. I went to SMUD and they didn't understand either, I have asked to have them removed the panels from my home but they said it's against some policies. During installation workers stole a carton of smokes among other small things. Don't trust any one of them!!!!

Jacque McBride
March 22nd, 2018 Fallbrook, CA DETAILS

I don't appreciate the fact that they arbitrarily started charging me for using my credit card to pay their bill.

kathy grima
March 14th, 2018 East Haven, CT

my panels installed in sept still not working was told there was a problem last week it would not turn on so now wait again customer service sucks never get to talk to same person twice

Karen
March 5th, 2018 Portland, OR DETAILS

My system is highly productive. The product and the service have been good. The problem is the installation! Installers anchored to to the roof by driving nails directly through the shingles. So many people walking around on a hot day took a 20 year roof down to a seven year roof. There are more than 26 holes in my roof that were merely caulked at the end of the job. Caulking is only good for three years! A couple places had metal shingles slipped under before the caulking. It will cost me three thousand dollars to replace the upper portion of my roof where it was nearly worn down passed the tar.

kevin petz
March 2nd, 2018 Sun City West, AZ DETAILS

I had 31 panels put on my roof by Solar City in 2012. Since then almost no electric bill at all. It is 2018 and they have already paid for themselves. I consider it one of if not the best ideas I ever had to pick Solar City and have them do the work. I feel like I am saving the energy for future Americans.

Robin M
March 2nd, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

I and my mother had Solar City install solar systems on each of our houses. Our houses are the same model and are next door to each other, some twenty five feet apart and are aligned in exactly the same direction. Our systems are the same except she has twelve panels and mine has sixteen. My system should produce one third more power than hers and the projected output over twenty years confirms this. The fact is, my system is producing one third less than hers on a daily basis. I called Solar City to report that my system is under-producing and their response was that they don't compare systems and that mine is doing what it should and they refused to send anyone out to ensure everything was hooked up properly. The team that installed our system put on the wrong inverter and someone else had to come out and install the right one. My concerns that other mistakes may have been made fell on deaf ears. Their policy seems to be unless they think there is a problem then there isn't one. Based on my experience with their tech team, it appears this company isn't as dedicated to their customers as they say. I understand the two-year anniversary reimbursement provision in the contract, but why wait two years to address what could be a problem right now? I received a phone call from Solar city about a month ago saying someone was going to come out and check our system-they didn't say why. When the service tech checked the system he discovered that the wiring in the inverter was not connected correctly so that half of the solar panels were not contributing to the total output. I now understand that my system is divided into two parts, called "pins" (as read from the digital display on the inverter). Each half is eight panels, so the readout from the inverter should indicate that "pin 1" and "pin 2" are producing roughly the same output which would add up to the total output. The tech showed me that one of the pins read "0". Well, this guy knew what he was doing and rewired the inverter so that the non-working panels were now connected, and thus doubled the output. My system is now producing about one third more power than the one next door, as it should. So here's what I know based on my experience: 1) It makes a difference which crew installs and connects the system. 2) Solar City(actually, Tesla) doesn't seem to take its customers seriously when they call with a concern. I was told twice that everything was fine and that my system was doing as it should, when I knew full well from projected output they supplied in the contract and by comparing my system to the one next door, that it was not. 3)Knowing how your system is set up and how to read the inverter is very useful-it would have been nice if that had been explained from the beginning so that I could have "proven" to the phone-in "techs" that it was under-producing. I don't know if my complaints prompted the call back that finally resulted in the system being fixed, or if someone at Solar City figured out for themselves that there was a problem, and only time will tell if this turns out to be a good deal or not. I am upgrading my rating a little, but Tesla needs to upgrade its customer service a lot.

Joseph
March 1st, 2018 DETAILS

They installed it everything was going good i told my rep that I was going to go all electric (water heater stove) on my home because I was getting a better cost on my solar than on propane so he said I would halfto wait a year with my new upgrades to see how many more panels they need to put up so I waited now they want me to put a second system up and charge me with two different bills with a way different rate on the second one and he said it wouldn’t really be cheaper than pg&e is charging me for the extra power I need the guy from SolarCity dan kue was kinda rude and didn’t really care what my rep before told me they have terrible service I wouldn’t recommend them to anyone I wish I never did It at all !!! And my solar was not working for a month and a half before they emailed me then they fixed it a month later broke again!!

Bill Haney
February 28th, 2018 Sun City West, AZ DETAILS

Do not buy from Solar City/Tesla. I did and I got screw on the deal. They lie about the tax credit of 30%, never got it. Try talking to them and did no good. There are better company's out there.

Wendy Powers
February 20th, 2018 Acampo, CA DETAILS

I inherited a Solar City system. I almost didn't buy the house because of the system and I still think I should have walked away because it is unlikely I will be able to resell it in the future. The system provides only half the power is was projected to generate and I don't think I will ever see a payment for the power it didn't generate even though my contract says I will. The company provides no maintenance to the system. And now the website has been down for 2 months so I can't even determine why my Auto pay was discontinued and now I receive a monthly invoice for an amount different from that indicated in my contract. You'd think a call to customer service would help but all they do is generate an inquiry then never call back. It's hard to believe they are still in business except that they got rich off of early adopters. If this is how the Tesla self-driving car is going to work, I hope it never sees the showroom. I would give Solar City zero stars if I could.