Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

SolarCity

SolarCity Logo

SolarCity

Reviews reveal customers' biggest gripe: lack of customer service

Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills. In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the company access to a variety of innovative energy equipment and technology.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity Logo Sungevity ›

8.9

Overall
Score

#2 Momentum Solar Logo Momentum Solar ›

8.2

Overall
Score

#3 Solar Optimum Logo Solar Optimum ›

7.6

Overall
Score

#40 SolarCity Logo SolarCity ›

Overall
Score

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of payment options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their solar panel system from SolarCity and pay a fixed amount each month. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the customer. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming federal and state tax credits and incentives.

Customers who decide to purchase their system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look. Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity. Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry. The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments. The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself. Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many customers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance. Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and PPA. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.7

Rayneman
January 8th, 2019 Riverbank, CA DETAILS

I see a lot of complaints and will say most people are poorly informed about solar to start with. Your system size in Ca. is controlled by your electric provider. You submit 12 most current bills and Tesla sizes the system 10% higher. That is what the utility co. only allow if your on net metering. You get a bill monthly showing what you sent your utility vs usage. So you know true up cost monthly can't see why anyone says there shocked when their true up date comes. Go to Amp It on Tesla site for customers and they will tell you how to get through to Tesla without long wait times. In a year and a half I've had no system problems:production is good what was expected. When I had an issue with a blown PG&E transformer got to customer service in 5min. If you have questions got to Amp It solar customers will help you understand a lot.

K Oliver
January 2nd, 2019 Morgan Hill, CA DETAILS

It will take Tesla/SolarCity 7 months to repair/replace a system under warranty. NOT ACCEPTABLE, but having bought the system outright I'm left with few options. Essentially no generation since Sept, replace date just now set for first week in April. Sale and installation 5 years ago by SolarCity was great. System failed with Ground Fault error in September. Tech support immediately said panels would need to be replaced; estimate 1 week to re-engineer as new panels are more efficient, 2 weeks to come out are replace. Three months later after calling in to complain every other week, we finally have new design. Same as old, less one panel. Then call, call, and call to get installation schedule. Finally, email says 4 months out. Unbelievable!

Xiaohong Cao
December 31st, 2018 Atascadero, CA DETAILS

In 2017, no solar data for 4 months. I had to pay PGE extra bill $1131.90. In 2016, no data on Aug. In 2018, no data for hours a day sometimes. Broken tiles left on the roof for years.

William Jonwa
December 18th, 2018 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS

Ever since Solar City merged with, Tesla, their customer service has been nearly non-existent. Trying to talk to them on the phone with a problem or concern about the panels involves an hour or longer wait on the phone to speak to a "live person" thus few, if any, will wait that long. I know I won't. Also, I cannot get them to actually visit my actual installation claiming everything can be monitored remotely. I disagree!! There is an obvious problem with some of the panels but I can't get any "live" person to come out and inspect all the components. I am very dissatisfied!!! Am I stuck with this inferior product for 20 years????

a. kemmler
November 27th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I pay the same for my power bill and pay for my solar panels. I make a monthly payment but have no idea what the balance is on my loan. No statement from them for the last year! I called customer service, no answer, I emailed customer service, no answer...wonder if I stopped paying there would be an answer?

Rrich
November 21st, 2018 Huntington Beach, CA

I am not a customer, only trying to be. For purely aesthetic reasons I want the glass shingles over the entire roof so that the house looks good. IMHO the panels are, well just, ugly. I've approached sales engineers / sales consultants or what ever they are called at the mall and request information. At best I'm ignored, at worst they just walk away. I've spent far too many years in field marketing to know when a prospect says, "I want to buy" the world stops turning and the only objective is then to get the customer's John Hancock on the dotted line. I don't understand these sales people at all.

D A
November 20th, 2018 Plymouth, MA DETAILS

Received an email from Tesla - Monday, Sept 24th, 2018 Email informed me of a low production problem & a technician would visit the home. We did not need to be home. No communication from Tesla as to what the technician did at my home 2. Sept. 25th, major leak discovered in master bedroom. 3. Sept 25th @ 10:00 pm, I sent a 1-lined email to Tesla, asking for service for my leaking roof 4. Sept. 26th, received an email from Tesla, asking me to call Customer Care. 5. Sept 27th, received a notice from Tesla in my door which states Tesla-Customer Care will contact me. 6. Oct 1st, I sent an email to Tesla, asking for help & explained my unsuccessful calls to Tesla - Customer Care. Phone calls to Tesla never connected to a live person except for the 1 Spanish speaking operator. I asked for Tesla to call me directly and provided my cell phone number. 7. Oct 2, received an email from Tesla explaining that Tesla may have been calling my home number, not cell. 8. Oct 2 @ 1:36 pm, call from Richard, Tesla Tech, to make an appointment to examine the roof. Appointment made for Oct 3rd @ 8:00 am. 9. Oct 3rd @ ~ 8:00 am, XX (individual's names protected) arrived and began looking at my roof from the ground. We went inside to look at master bedroom where leak had occurred. We then went into the attic to look at the roof sheathing. XX was quite surprised to see a covered hole in my roof. A hole had burned through the roofing, roof sheathing and part of my rafter. NO, I was not aware of any such occurrence or damage. XX said he could see daylight through the patch. Patch done by Tesla. XX's partner, Y, arrived after the fire damage had been discovered. The 2 Techs removed 1 solar panel from the top left corner. They told me that they sealed aluminum over the hole and installed roofing shingles over the aluminum which I can confirm they installed a different style roofing shingle over the damage. XX took photos of repairs which I asked for him to text me and he had agreed yet he did not forward those photos to me. They reinstalled the panel. XX had mentioned that the damage was most likely caused by a bad connector which Tesla is finding to be problematic. I have ~30 panels on 2 roofs of my house which must be loaded with these same connectors. The inverter has been shut off. Where does the power go now? XX explained to me that the original Tech did the following: Was sent to my home due to a 50% drop in production. Replaced the bad connector Did NOT correctly log a thermal event Did NOT shut the system off Did NOT document the roof patch or that he was on my roof XX asked me to call Customer Care to explain to them what was discovered. I told him that is a headache and I’ve experienced long waiting periods without success but I would try. I telephoned Customer Care and got a message that they are “closed.” I immediately told XX and asked for a direct line or the correct prompts to use. He telephoned his superior, Dan (I believe Dan is his name) and had arranged for Customer Care to call my cell phone. I have NOT received any call. 10. The above is just the beginning. Then a month of no contact and no return phone calls. Trust me, I tried to reach Tesla. Now in the 2nd month, Tesla blames insurance. Then Tesla sent a new contract to sign. I'm finishing 2 months without a resolution. Tesla has no integrity. I cannot say enough. STAY AWAY!!!!

Stan Raskow
November 20th, 2018 Sun City West, AZ DETAILS

Do not use Tesla who owns solar city for anything solar on your house. Installers are great and then it goes bad from there, just terrible customer service and you will hear every excuse in the world as to why you can't get your solar turned on. Really bad company. There are others that are much better, do your homework

James Koger
November 21st, 2018 Cambridge, MA DETAILS

I signed a pre-paid lease(this option is no longer available I understand) with SolarCity on 12/31/11. The panels were installed in 2012 and we went online in July 2012. At the time I was really impressed by the professionalism and level of skill of the various SolarCity personnel. From the time of completion of the installation it required 3 weeks for Cambridge Inspectional Services And Eversource to approve the installation and give permission to go on-line. SolarCity said that 3 weeks was very short period of time to go on-line. Until Aug. 2018 there were no problems at all. We have not had to pay any electric bills at all since February of 2013. The amount of electricity received has nearly paid back the cost of the lease. I expect that sometime in 2019 the pre-paid lease will be repaid in electrical power. There has been enough extra power to charge a plug-in electric car most of the time and switch from a gas clothes dryer to an electric one. Until August 2nd all was well and then our invertor failed. It took SolarCity(which had been purchased by Tesla) 5 weeks to replace the invertor. I had to call customer service 4 different times before I got any kind of idea of timing of the invertor replacement. I was not impressed by the level of professionalism I got from Tesla customer service. The service guy was good and I had seen him before. The replacement only took about an hour to accomplish. I do not understand why it would take 5 weeks to get a replacement. No one could or would explain this. However the system is now up and running. Tesla said they would make up the difference in power lost up to the guaranteed amount for the year. So far the system has exceeded the guaranteed amount every year. Would I go back to Tesla again knowing what I know now . Probably Yes. Before the invertor failure I would not have hesitated but afterwards I would look at other companies at least . Does Tesla need to improve customer service? Yes!

Fran P.
October 30th, 2018 Dallas, TX DETAILS

We love our SolarCity panels, and the process to get them was well organized, thorough and easy. The sales man was very informative and responsive, both by email and phone. From the engineer who inspected the building structure for ability to hold the weight of the units to the solar engineers who designed the system, and the crew who installed the panels; all were so pleasant to work with and timely with all their promises of appointments. We have now had the panels producing power for four years. Love the results, and the SolarCity/Tesla website that allows us to review production in detail. The one time we had a problem (lightening), SolarCity called and emailed us before we even realized that there was nothing being produced. They walked us through a procedure to see if it was easy to fix and when this was not possible, sent out repair person to take care of the problem. If we do not produce the contracted amount of kWh in the year, we will get a check. We paid cash for the installation of the panels in October 2014 and have already received benefits amounting to more than 50% of the cost. (Benefits: credits for power returned to grid, less power used from power company, savings in distribution charges: I keep a detailed spread sheet!!!!)

Hari Mahalingam
October 17th, 2018 Rocklin, CA

it is the worse company ever I know for the power. I was told and promised one but received completely different.

Pat Johnson
October 15th, 2018 Randallstown, MD DETAILS

Solar city is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I have a problem with trying to reach them they keep you on hold for hours and then tell you they cannot help you for at least a year . I need to get the panels removed so my roof can be repaired they tell me hurry up and wait for a year . By the time I wait for them my ceiling will fall in thanks solar city for nothing .please don't use this company you will regret it

Troy Wolverton
October 15th, 2018 DETAILS

DO NOT USE SOLARCITY (TELSA)! Dishonest, our rates are higher and we requested 100% coverage which they give employees but I was told NO. We're stuck in a contract but the minute possible even if I am stuck buying them out I will. Installation crew was great. That's it, area rep has a nick name of "DOG" and the other employees say it's for a reason and the sales rep flat out lied.

Gerard Schrader
October 3rd, 2018 Barstow, CA DETAILS

No phone calls returned, no emails returned.

Robert Zack
September 26th, 2018 Los Alamitos, CA DETAILS

I purchased my system from solar city a 6.25 kw. system I've had it going on my fourth year now I have had no issues with it at the end of my net metering year I always receive a check from edison for my over generation. We had a few delays in the process but over all it all went well.

Joseph Monaco
September 26th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

After about 5 years with Solar City they have always been top notch in all areas of the company. Everything the salesman told about on our 1st meeting was correct. I have recommended this company to family and friends and everyone are happy customers.

Mia
September 25th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

When we purchased our house we had no choice because solar city was the only company our builder was contracted with. We signed a 20 yr lease contract. When we moved in we thought the solar was “on” but when I called PG&E I was told it’s not turned on and to contact the company who installed my solar. I was so confused because I didn’t have this issue with my previous house solar. Called the Solar Sales Rep we spoke to before our house was built. He gave me the contact info of another rep assigned in that area. Called her and she informed me that she submitted the docs and waiting for PG&E. After a week I called PG&E again but was told that they are still waiting for the solar company. I was going back and forth for almost a month. At last my solar was activated after 2 months of calling PG&E and the Solar City. Next, I noticed birds in my roof so I called the rep and he informed me that there should be netting on the panels and if not that they can put it when needed. So I called when I saw birds underneath the panels, unfortunately the rep is not with Solar City anymore... and when I called the customer service number it said wait time is more than an hour!! I don’t have all that time waiting on the phone..I’m very disappointed with this company and with my builder who is contracted with them which in turn didn’t give us a choice of which Solar Company to go with.

George Ferch
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

With Solar City you can choose a 10 year 2.99% or 20 year 4.99% loan and own the system day one. With the 10 year loan I basically pay the same as my regular Edison bill if I apply the tax rebate to the loan. The 20 year could save me 50 bucks a month off my bill. I could save double going with the 10 year. I contacted support over the phone when I first turned on my system because the usage was mirroring my production. I was up and running in no time. I have noticed lag in response when emailing. I needed a new roof and Tesla has there own roofing company and they were able to wrap it into the loan. My sales guy Gus W would answer emails, phone, txt, day or night even when he was on his day off or on vacation.

Christopher Parker
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

When my system was installed in 2015 the installation was outstanding! The customer service was outstanding and very responsive....BUT.....let some time go by. all the good employees quit, Elon Musk bought the company, customer service disappeared, I had signed up the day Musk announced the Tesla Powerwall @ 10 KWH for $3,500....I never heard another word after Tesla questioned me on my system. Then after 2 years and calling several times, I finally got an answer that "Oh, that was phase #1 and it's been discontinued. Noe the 10 KWH Powerwall is $13.500?? My system has NEVER performed as promised. They audit every 2 year but I always end up paying Edison for power even though they "Claim" it's Zero Net Metering. Bottom line....Very disappointed with Solar City and Tesla! Was going to buy a Tesla but after this poor service. I'll never buy a Tesla.. Think Elon Musk is losing his mind......Sad...

Rando calahan
September 21st, 2018 Santa Maria, CA DETAILS

I have had my solar system with Solar City since 2013. I lease my system and the lease cost is cheaper than my previous monthly electric bill with PG&E; however, after I pay my yearly True-Up bill with PG&E of about $600 it turns out to be a wash and there is really no cost savings. I felt I was misled because I was not advised of the largeTrue-Up bill that I pay annually. I regret not going with Sungevity which has the highest rating of solar companies.

Rebecca Romero
September 17th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS

Exceeded All Expectations! System Works Flawlessly an their staff made sure i knew how to work Nest thermostat. Received Rebate Promptly!

Dale Stephens
September 13th, 2018 Reno, NV

Dealing with Solar City (Tesla) not easy ---- and very time consuming! Tesla is a company that has grown too fast. Their staff lacks proper training. Employees are apparently not given the authority to make things right. In a word: inflexible. Months ago we started the process of buying solar panels and a power wall. The Tesla site engineer analyzed where the panels would need to be installed and where the power inverter, DC junction, distribution panel, etc. would be located. The project plans (including drawings) are created at one of their offices, then sent to us. I noticed that the above mentioned equipment was located on the southeast corner of the house (back yard), not the northwest corner of the house (front yard). The street was drawn in the back yard, not on the opposite side of the house. I discussed this error with the sales representative. She told me that they knew what they were doing. It took some convincing for her to finally understand that they had actually made a mistake. After a delay we received the revised plans. However, there was another mistake on them. They had the order of the equipment that was placed on the exterior wall next to the main AC electrical panel shown in two different places on the drawings and they were not consistent. Our HOA’s architectural review committee would have rejected the plans. Again, it took more convincing than necessary for the sales rep to understand that they had made yet another mistake. After this was corrected we submitted our plans to our HOA for approval. Meanwhile, we were sent the contract to electronically sign (via DocuSign). I signed every place that I could and returned the agreement. I received another agreement indicating that the first one wasn’t signed properly. I signed it again and returned it. Again I was told that I’d need to resign the agreement because the first one was not signed properly. Having signed contracts in the past using DocuSign, I knew that I’d signed every place that I could. The problem was that whoever set-up the agreement didn’t do it correctly. Not only should every place where a signature or initial needs to be inserted be highlighted (yellow in my case), but there needs to be a tag on which I could “click” with my cursor to place my signature or initials on the highlighted line. This had not been done correctly. I asked for a paper copy and received it. On the agreement I made two notations: 1) our HOA requirements for solar installations needed to be followed (specifically that all mounting hardware needed to be coordinated with the surface on which it was attached); and 2) the purchase price after the end of the 20 year lease was to be no more than 10% of the lease agreement (which is front-loaded making the purchase price no more than $700+), not the $5000+ mentioned in the agreement. I had previously questioned the sale rep about this. She had checked with people in Tesla and was told the 10% limit was correct. She had sent me an email stating this was factual. My agreement was rejected and another one was sent to me. I told the person responsible for my project that I would not sign the agreement without the two notations on it. A regional manager (Stephen) called me to try to explain why I had to sign the agreement without making any notations on it. I gave him eight days to come up with a plan to make this right. It has been eight days and no one has called me. I believe in solar. I had it for 20 years in Seattle and was happy with the results. I can attest to the fact that at the end of 20 years it was so far behind current solar technology that it would have been nearly worthless if I had tried to sell it. Tesla would have spent more in labor to remove it and properly fill in all the holes in the roof than they could have made in selling it. You would think that after all the mistakes that they made, that they would have stood behind their sales rep and accepted the agreement with my two notations (with emails from Tesla supporting BOTH requirements. I suggest going with someone else and saving yourself the headaches of having to deal with a disorganized company. Don’t waste your time. BTW, we tried a couple years ago to buy solar panels from Solar City, but gave up after discovering numerous mistakes on their part. We should have learned from that experience and pursued solar from someone else. But, we thought that Tesla would have a better trained team. Apparently not.

Leonard Aska
September 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Sales person was not upfront about cost savings as relates to NYS Tax Credit

Donna Reis
September 10th, 2018 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

If you are looking to add solar panels to your home DO NOT USE SOLAR CITY their customer service is non extent you will be on hold for hours trying to get help, they DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH and since installing the panels on my roof my electric bill has almost doubled

Linea Edwards
September 10th, 2018 Newman, CA DETAILS

STAY AWAY FROM THEM !!! All these reviews sound like our story-Poor customer service, higher electric bills, Huge tru-up charge from PG &E at the end of the year, damage to the roof and it could just go on and on. My daughter called the office and told them we no longer wanted their solar panels on our roof and was told my 82 year old husband signed a 37 year contract, so we had to use them or go to court ! Biggest mistake we made going solar with Solar City.

Donna
September 6th, 2018 Williamstown, NJ DETAILS

I got solar from solar city, now tesla and my bills are higher than my electric bills. They are ripping me off and I don't want these on my roof no-more. Anyone want to help beat this company, let's get together and take them down.

RUTH
September 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Ever since I moved to Southern California I knew that I should use Solar energy. The only question is which company shall I work with? I decided to go with Solar City. Their sales person (energy consultant) is very knowledgeable. He follows through every step during the processing. He also assured me that I can call him for any issue encountered. He will be there for me. Solar City (Tesla)'s price is reasonable. Installer were professional. The process was lengthy. It took 4 months to complete. But, now it is running. I can monitor the production online. It is all worth it!

Delane Morris
September 10th, 2018 Edgewood, MD DETAILS

Ever since Tesla acquired SolarCity, the customer service is horrible!! They stopped sending me paper bills without prior notification. They were supposed to email my bill to me but to date, this has not happened. When I contacted customer service, I was on hold for OVER ONE HOUR!!! Today I tried to sign in to my account and my email and password was recognized by the site, so my only option is contact via phone. Currently, I am holding for customer service and was advised by the mechanical voice that the wait time is ONE HOUR. Mr. Tesla, stop sending cars into outer space adding to the junk already up there AND IMPROVE CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR SOLAR CITY!!! I would NEVER recommend your company to anyone considering solar panels.

Susan Marmo
August 27th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Solar City/Tesla has added a fee of $7.50 / month because I choose to pay my bill from my checking account without using their “AutoPay” which allows them to go into my checking account and pull money out at their will. I prefer to make payments on my own volition as I do with all other Service bills. Why is this company allowed to charge me $7.50 a month - this shouldn’t be legal!

Bradley Kelley
October 15th, 2018 Battle Mountain, NV DETAILS

Customer service is almost non-existent. Can be up to a month to get a service tech to sort problems. Tesla laid off so many employees that they cannot service customers any longer. Software does not work reliably. Communication is worthless. I've never had a worse experience with any company. Period. Do not do business with Solar City/Tesla...don't even consider it.

Tom Nardi
August 23rd, 2018 DETAILS

3 years later and I am still being screwed. In addition to losing 2 inverters, I still pay twice what I did to PGE. You can read my other review for the details but in the end all the reviews are the same. No-one can save money, we were all lied to and any positive review is from a solar city employee. PLEASE listen to everyone, they are the scum of the earth. One only has to listen to Elon Musk lie to wallstereet about being profitable. My only way out is that the bank that they steal my payments from will soon be dry. At that time I will no longer pay for solar and they can come get the panels, but wait, they won't. I know a dozen people who have not paid them for up to 3 years and they still have power. Unlike PGE they don't want their crappy panels back and it's not worth their time to remove them thus free power. Fight back people, there are several ways to screw the pooch. Don't feel bad they screwed you with their slick lies. Those millinial salesman who no longer work there were ran out of your town and mine. and soon enough the whole deal is gonna topple.

Barbara Bell
September 17th, 2018 Calimesa, CA DETAILS

SolarCity reps are great at the beginning. They make you feel as if this is their produce and service is the best ever. As soon as we were signed up it was no communication for days and weeks. From the signup date to the date of connection was over a year. After that we heard nothing from them. We were to get a payment schedule within 30 days. Two years later we still had no schedule, did not know how much to pay or when. I called several time and was told they would get right back to me. No one ever did. I talked to several people but never received the schedule. Finally, this year (3 yrs later) we received PAST DUE statements for three months and then nothing again. I have had it with this company, its communication issues and service.

tony f.
August 21st, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Worst company ever. My roof was damaged in resent storms and needed to be replaced. After being on hold for a hour they informed me that to have the Panels removed, the soonest date would be sometime next year. I could pay for a private contractor to remove, but if damaged it would be at my cost. Don't get Solar Panels with Solar City. There is no customer Service! Horrible.

Lusio Barraza
August 21st, 2018 Highland, CA DETAILS

First of all all the five star reviews are obviously SolarCity employees you're too short and sweet or long-winded with technical points.. I bought a new house and had to deal with SolarCity leaks caused by them, not using sealant where they anchor to rafters, customer service 3 hours on hold There back up on removing panels for anyone unless its new install, until 2019! And was told to hire contactor to remove/reinstall, taking a chance by voiding my warranty by doing that..

Mary Margaret Johnston
August 20th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

I had panels installed in June of 2015 but it took 6 weeks before SoCalEd would allow the system to be turned on. I have flat cement tiles on my roof and 41 tiles were cracked during installation. Solar City replaced all the broken tiles in a timely manner. I did not buy but lease the panels. I have been extremely happy with Solar City, now Tesla. I can crank up the AC and know that I will not be penalized with a huge electric bill each month. My only complaint is only 70% of my electricity is covered with solar and a 3-foot easement is required by Long Beach (California) building code. Just another way for Long Beach to micromanage. Their reasoning is "the fire department needs the 3-foot easement." Well, only if the fire fighters are fat and broad. 18 inches would be plenty of easement and would allow more panels. As far as Customer Service--they are there to answer any questions. Our representative, Karen B, is terrific.

Alan Salcido`
August 16th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

I'VE BEEN WITH "SOLAR CITY" 2 SOLID YEARS NOW...SO FAR SO GOOD...I feel i did save some money, what sucked is the sales rep that signed me up, she never told me about the "TRU-UP's" bill with PG&E at the end of the year with "Solar City" which is about $1,220.00 which I think that was a sneaky trick so she could get her commission on the sale. But still after breaking it down I'm still saving a little bit. BUT now "TELSA" is taking over, I'll see if there crooked or not, I'm monitoring my bill closely now, ANY SCREW -UPS with these characters, trust me I'll shut them down, and fire them.... and I'll start up with my local vendors like "SUN-SOLAR" which does has very high and good ratings. I just might still make that move anyways...LOL. But I'll give "TELSA" the benefit of the doubt. I'll see what their up to for now and see if I do save $$$ or not. If not,,,,then ADIOS!!! SEE YA~~~~~~~~ Alan S. Bakersfield,Ca

Walter Atterholt
August 16th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

signed contract Nov. 2013. system installed Jan 2014 after redoing all the contracted paperwork because they had me sign outdated forms for SCE telling me they just received the new forms yet they had been posted on the SCE website before I even started the process. System not activated till July 2017. They kept telling me that first I needed a new meter - which I already had for over a year then that they were waiting for SCE approval. after several months I contacted SCE Net metering and found that they were waiting for one piece of paperwork that solar city swore they had submitted. talked again 3 days later & paperwork received told 2-3 days until turn on. Contacted solar city customer service and was old it would take another 4-6 weeks before I could go outside and turn the switch. So many other lies. Told I would qualify for a Calif rebate but because of the delay it didn't happen. Told my tax break for solar would cover the $10k but didn't say anything about must not have any liability for payment so got stuck with a $10k balloon payment. Have never produced enough to decrease my to zero level and actually had to pay $1.3K last annual billing to cover the electricity used. Had to have them come out to repair a roof leak caused by installation. also their internet monitoring is too far from my modem to connect so I cant monitor my generation and have no idea if the system is even working properly. have been very dissatisfied and even told them to take the damn thin off my roof after 6 months of no activation due to their screw ups. needless to say the refused as I had signed a "contract".

Jesse Johnson
August 14th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

Four words-Don't use Solar City. Worst business I have ever dealt with. Do your homework and go with some other company.

Sherri Bieber
August 14th, 2018 Northridge, CA DETAILS

We have Solar City and they undersized our unit which at the time I stated they were not installing enough panels. They assured me they were. That the panels produce 10% more than we need and if they don't they I will get a check. I have received a check every year. I have had them out and the comment was that I would have to buy an additional system to cover my electric usage. I am not happy.

Cathy Shecklen
August 13th, 2018 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

Most horrible business decision I've ever gotten into in my life. Every turn has been a nightmare and they have been completely unhelpful and argumentative threatening and rude. On top of dealing with all of their idiotic ways I still have to pay the electricity bill along with their bill. They lied when filling out the contract. They said I would not have an electricity bill anymore other than the normal $10 fee, but I pay a lot to the electricity company still. They promise to pay the true up bill but as of this last year they have denied it. It cost me more to have it than just to pay the electricity bill. Again, worst decision of my life.