SolarCity

SolarCity Logo

SolarCity

Reviews reveal customers' biggest gripe: lack of customer service

Founded in 2006 by Lyndon and Peter Rive, SolarCity is a solar power company that strives to help people take control of their energy costs and decrease their carbon footprint. In fact, to date, the company has provided more than 300,000 homeowners with solar panels, helping them to generate their own clean, renewable energy and save money on their electricity bills. In 2016, SolarCity merged with Elon Musk's Tesla, giving the company access to a variety of innovative energy equipment and technology.

Although SolarCity is one of the largest installers in the solar industry, is bigger always better? Read on to discover The Good, The Bad, and The Bottom Line about SolarCity, as well as view SolarCity reviews from real customers.

#1 Sungevity Logo Sungevity ›

9.2

Overall
Score

#2 Solar Energy World Logo Solar Energy World ›

8.5

Overall
Score

#3 Sunrun Logo Sunrun ›

8.0

Overall
Score

#44 SolarCity Logo SolarCity ›

Overall
Score

The Good

• Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs
  • Quality Solar Panels
  • Contract Transparency
  • State Availability
  • Solar Roof
  • Battery Backup
  • Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

Payment Options to Best Fit Customer Needs

SolarCity offers a variety of payment options to help homeowners take advantage of solar energy in a way that fits their unique needs and budget. Available payment options include solar leases, power purchase agreements (PPAs), outright purchases, and loans.

The SolarCity lease program, SolarLease, allows customers to rent their solar panel system from SolarCity and pay a fixed amount each month. Solar leasing provides customers with access to net metering (where available) and free system maintenance for the entire length of their solar lease.

SolarCity's power purchase agreement program, SolarPPA, gives customers the opportunity to lock in a fixed monthly rate per kilowatt hour for the term of the agreement without any price hikes. One advantage of choosing SolarPPA is that SolarCity will install the system at no upfront cost to the customer. However, keep in mind that with this payment option, SolarCity owns and maintains the system, which prevents the customer from claiming federal and state tax credits and incentives.

Customers who decide to purchase their system outright or with a loan will most likely receive long-term savings, as well as any available tax credits, net metering, and 20 years of monitoring and maintenance for their system.

Quality Solar Panels

SolarCity solar panels outperform some others by 10 years due to rigorous testing beyond industry standards. The company's panels feature integrated front skirts, redirected plumbing vents, and hidden clamps and rail-ends for a polished, aesthetically pleasing look. Additionally, with SolarCity solar panels, all roofing work and system repairs are covered by the company at no extra cost.

Contract Transparency

SolarCity has an open book philosophy in regards to contracts, which is helpful for customers who would like to have all the information before they consider working with SolarCity. Similar to many other solar installers, SolarCity's contract terms include locked-in rates once the agreement is signed, roof repair in the event of damage while the equipment is being installed or removed, and moving options if a customer decides to sell their home before the contract expires.

State Availability

SolarCity is considered one of the largest solar companies in the country and currently offers residential solar systems to customers in 20 states, making it possible for consumers across the nation to enjoy the benefits of solar energy through SolarCity. Operational states include Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington D.C., Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Washington.

Solar Roof

As mentioned above, because SolarCity merged with Elon Musk and Tesla in 2016, the company has the ability to sell and install Tesla's Solar Roof, which helps to set it apart from other solar installers in the industry. The Solar Roof product, which is a good alternative for consumers who would like to take advantage of renewable energy but do not like the look of traditional solar panels, is comprised of smaller solar cells designed to look like roof tiles and complement a home's architecture, all while turning sunlight into electricity.

Battery Backup

For consumers interested in battery backup, SolarCity sells Tesla Powerwall batteries, which provide backup power so that homeowners can still have electricity during utility outages and natural disasters. The Powerwall is compact, stackable, has a built-in inverter, and comes ready to integrate seamlessly with SolarCity solar power equipment.

Opportunity to Invest in Solar Bonds

SolarCity provides individuals with the ability to support a cleaner, brighter energy future by investing in solar bonds, which are designed to offer interest rates higher than typical savings accounts, CDs, money market funds, and other comparable investments. The company's solar bonds program is open to anyone, including both individual and institutional investors, who meets the basic qualifications.

The Bad

• Solar Installation Issues
  • Customer Service Complaints

Solar Installation Issues

Many of the SolarCity reviews left on our site by customers of the company have expressed dissatisfaction with their system installations. The problem seems to deal more with delayed and incorrect installations rather than issues with the product itself. Check out the user reviews below for more information.

Customer Service Complaints

Customer service is another area where SolarCity has received several customer complaints.  Many customers claim that they have had trouble trying to get email and phone responses from SolarCity, which can be frustrating for those who need assistance. Please see the user reviews below for more information.

The Bottom Line

Overall, SolarCity is a large, well-established company in the solar industry that offers innovative equipment options and a wide variety of payment choices, including outright purchase, loan, lease, and PPA. Consumers in 20 states have the option to have their solar energy system installed by SolarCity, but many customers have reported issues related to the installation of their solar systems, as well as dissatisfaction with the company's customer service.

View Best Solar Companies

2.7

Pat Johnson
October 15th, 2018 Randallstown, MD DETAILS

Solar city is one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. I have a problem with trying to reach them they keep you on hold for hours and then tell you they cannot help you for at least a year . I need to get the panels removed so my roof can be repaired they tell me hurry up and wait for a year . By the time I wait for them my ceiling will fall in thanks solar city for nothing .please don't use this company you will regret it

Troy Wolverton
October 15th, 2018 DETAILS

DO NOT USE SOLARCITY (TELSA)! Dishonest, our rates are higher and we requested 100% coverage which they give employees but I was told NO. We're stuck in a contract but the minute possible even if I am stuck buying them out I will. Installation crew was great. That's it, area rep has a nick name of "DOG" and the other employees say it's for a reason and the sales rep flat out lied.

Gerard Schrader
October 3rd, 2018 Barstow, CA DETAILS

No phone calls returned, no emails returned.

Robert Zack
September 26th, 2018 Los Alamitos, CA DETAILS

I purchased my system from solar city a 6.25 kw. system I've had it going on my fourth year now I have had no issues with it at the end of my net metering year I always receive a check from edison for my over generation. We had a few delays in the process but over all it all went well.

Joseph Monaco
September 26th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

After about 5 years with Solar City they have always been top notch in all areas of the company. Everything the salesman told about on our 1st meeting was correct. I have recommended this company to family and friends and everyone are happy customers.

Mia
September 25th, 2018 Fresno, CA DETAILS

When we purchased our house we had no choice because solar city was the only company our builder was contracted with. We signed a 20 yr lease contract. When we moved in we thought the solar was “on” but when I called PG&E I was told it’s not turned on and to contact the company who installed my solar. I was so confused because I didn’t have this issue with my previous house solar. Called the Solar Sales Rep we spoke to before our house was built. He gave me the contact info of another rep assigned in that area. Called her and she informed me that she submitted the docs and waiting for PG&E. After a week I called PG&E again but was told that they are still waiting for the solar company. I was going back and forth for almost a month. At last my solar was activated after 2 months of calling PG&E and the Solar City. Next, I noticed birds in my roof so I called the rep and he informed me that there should be netting on the panels and if not that they can put it when needed. So I called when I saw birds underneath the panels, unfortunately the rep is not with Solar City anymore... and when I called the customer service number it said wait time is more than an hour!! I don’t have all that time waiting on the phone..I’m very disappointed with this company and with my builder who is contracted with them which in turn didn’t give us a choice of which Solar Company to go with.

George Ferch
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

With Solar City you can choose a 10 year 2.99% or 20 year 4.99% loan and own the system day one. With the 10 year loan I basically pay the same as my regular Edison bill if I apply the tax rebate to the loan. The 20 year could save me 50 bucks a month off my bill. I could save double going with the 10 year. I contacted support over the phone when I first turned on my system because the usage was mirroring my production. I was up and running in no time. I have noticed lag in response when emailing. I needed a new roof and Tesla has there own roofing company and they were able to wrap it into the loan. My sales guy Gus W would answer emails, phone, txt, day or night even when he was on his day off or on vacation.

Christopher Parker
September 24th, 2018 Simi Valley, CA DETAILS

When my system was installed in 2015 the installation was outstanding! The customer service was outstanding and very responsive....BUT.....let some time go by. all the good employees quit, Elon Musk bought the company, customer service disappeared, I had signed up the day Musk announced the Tesla Powerwall @ 10 KWH for $3,500....I never heard another word after Tesla questioned me on my system. Then after 2 years and calling several times, I finally got an answer that "Oh, that was phase #1 and it's been discontinued. Noe the 10 KWH Powerwall is $13.500?? My system has NEVER performed as promised. They audit every 2 year but I always end up paying Edison for power even though they "Claim" it's Zero Net Metering. Bottom line....Very disappointed with Solar City and Tesla! Was going to buy a Tesla but after this poor service. I'll never buy a Tesla.. Think Elon Musk is losing his mind......Sad...

Rando calahan
September 21st, 2018 Santa Maria, CA DETAILS

I have had my solar system with Solar City since 2013. I lease my system and the lease cost is cheaper than my previous monthly electric bill with PG&E; however, after I pay my yearly True-Up bill with PG&E of about $600 it turns out to be a wash and there is really no cost savings. I felt I was misled because I was not advised of the largeTrue-Up bill that I pay annually. I regret not going with Sungevity which has the highest rating of solar companies.

Rebecca Romero
September 17th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS

Exceeded All Expectations! System Works Flawlessly an their staff made sure i knew how to work Nest thermostat. Received Rebate Promptly!

Dale Stephens
September 13th, 2018 Reno, NV

Dealing with Solar City (Tesla) not easy ---- and very time consuming! Tesla is a company that has grown too fast. Their staff lacks proper training. Employees are apparently not given the authority to make things right. In a word: inflexible. Months ago we started the process of buying solar panels and a power wall. The Tesla site engineer analyzed where the panels would need to be installed and where the power inverter, DC junction, distribution panel, etc. would be located. The project plans (including drawings) are created at one of their offices, then sent to us. I noticed that the above mentioned equipment was located on the southeast corner of the house (back yard), not the northwest corner of the house (front yard). The street was drawn in the back yard, not on the opposite side of the house. I discussed this error with the sales representative. She told me that they knew what they were doing. It took some convincing for her to finally understand that they had actually made a mistake. After a delay we received the revised plans. However, there was another mistake on them. They had the order of the equipment that was placed on the exterior wall next to the main AC electrical panel shown in two different places on the drawings and they were not consistent. Our HOA’s architectural review committee would have rejected the plans. Again, it took more convincing than necessary for the sales rep to understand that they had made yet another mistake. After this was corrected we submitted our plans to our HOA for approval. Meanwhile, we were sent the contract to electronically sign (via DocuSign). I signed every place that I could and returned the agreement. I received another agreement indicating that the first one wasn’t signed properly. I signed it again and returned it. Again I was told that I’d need to resign the agreement because the first one was not signed properly. Having signed contracts in the past using DocuSign, I knew that I’d signed every place that I could. The problem was that whoever set-up the agreement didn’t do it correctly. Not only should every place where a signature or initial needs to be inserted be highlighted (yellow in my case), but there needs to be a tag on which I could “click” with my cursor to place my signature or initials on the highlighted line. This had not been done correctly. I asked for a paper copy and received it. On the agreement I made two notations: 1) our HOA requirements for solar installations needed to be followed (specifically that all mounting hardware needed to be coordinated with the surface on which it was attached); and 2) the purchase price after the end of the 20 year lease was to be no more than 10% of the lease agreement (which is front-loaded making the purchase price no more than $700+), not the $5000+ mentioned in the agreement. I had previously questioned the sale rep about this. She had checked with people in Tesla and was told the 10% limit was correct. She had sent me an email stating this was factual. My agreement was rejected and another one was sent to me. I told the person responsible for my project that I would not sign the agreement without the two notations on it. A regional manager (Stephen) called me to try to explain why I had to sign the agreement without making any notations on it. I gave him eight days to come up with a plan to make this right. It has been eight days and no one has called me. I believe in solar. I had it for 20 years in Seattle and was happy with the results. I can attest to the fact that at the end of 20 years it was so far behind current solar technology that it would have been nearly worthless if I had tried to sell it. Tesla would have spent more in labor to remove it and properly fill in all the holes in the roof than they could have made in selling it. You would think that after all the mistakes that they made, that they would have stood behind their sales rep and accepted the agreement with my two notations (with emails from Tesla supporting BOTH requirements. I suggest going with someone else and saving yourself the headaches of having to deal with a disorganized company. Don’t waste your time. BTW, we tried a couple years ago to buy solar panels from Solar City, but gave up after discovering numerous mistakes on their part. We should have learned from that experience and pursued solar from someone else. But, we thought that Tesla would have a better trained team. Apparently not.

Leonard Aska
September 11th, 2018 DETAILS

Sales person was not upfront about cost savings as relates to NYS Tax Credit

Donna Reis
September 10th, 2018 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

If you are looking to add solar panels to your home DO NOT USE SOLAR CITY their customer service is non extent you will be on hold for hours trying to get help, they DO NOT FOLLOW THROUGH and since installing the panels on my roof my electric bill has almost doubled

Linea Edwards
September 10th, 2018 Newman, CA DETAILS

STAY AWAY FROM THEM !!! All these reviews sound like our story-Poor customer service, higher electric bills, Huge tru-up charge from PG &E at the end of the year, damage to the roof and it could just go on and on. My daughter called the office and told them we no longer wanted their solar panels on our roof and was told my 82 year old husband signed a 37 year contract, so we had to use them or go to court ! Biggest mistake we made going solar with Solar City.

Donna
September 6th, 2018 Williamstown, NJ DETAILS

I got solar from solar city, now tesla and my bills are higher than my electric bills. They are ripping me off and I don't want these on my roof no-more. Anyone want to help beat this company, let's get together and take them down.

RUTH
September 4th, 2018 DETAILS

Ever since I moved to Southern California I knew that I should use Solar energy. The only question is which company shall I work with? I decided to go with Solar City. Their sales person (energy consultant) is very knowledgeable. He follows through every step during the processing. He also assured me that I can call him for any issue encountered. He will be there for me. Solar City (Tesla)'s price is reasonable. Installer were professional. The process was lengthy. It took 4 months to complete. But, now it is running. I can monitor the production online. It is all worth it!

Delane Morris
September 10th, 2018 Edgewood, MD DETAILS

Ever since Tesla acquired SolarCity, the customer service is horrible!! They stopped sending me paper bills without prior notification. They were supposed to email my bill to me but to date, this has not happened. When I contacted customer service, I was on hold for OVER ONE HOUR!!! Today I tried to sign in to my account and my email and password was recognized by the site, so my only option is contact via phone. Currently, I am holding for customer service and was advised by the mechanical voice that the wait time is ONE HOUR. Mr. Tesla, stop sending cars into outer space adding to the junk already up there AND IMPROVE CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR SOLAR CITY!!! I would NEVER recommend your company to anyone considering solar panels.

Susan Marmo
August 27th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Solar City/Tesla has added a fee of $7.50 / month because I choose to pay my bill from my checking account without using their “AutoPay” which allows them to go into my checking account and pull money out at their will. I prefer to make payments on my own volition as I do with all other Service bills. Why is this company allowed to charge me $7.50 a month - this shouldn’t be legal!

Bradley Kelley
October 15th, 2018 Battle Mountain, NV DETAILS

Customer service is almost non-existent. Can be up to a month to get a service tech to sort problems. Tesla laid off so many employees that they cannot service customers any longer. Software does not work reliably. Communication is worthless. I've never had a worse experience with any company. Period. Do not do business with Solar City/Tesla...don't even consider it.

Tom Nardi
August 23rd, 2018 DETAILS

3 years later and I am still being screwed. In addition to losing 2 inverters, I still pay twice what I did to PGE. You can read my other review for the details but in the end all the reviews are the same. No-one can save money, we were all lied to and any positive review is from a solar city employee. PLEASE listen to everyone, they are the scum of the earth. One only has to listen to Elon Musk lie to wallstereet about being profitable. My only way out is that the bank that they steal my payments from will soon be dry. At that time I will no longer pay for solar and they can come get the panels, but wait, they won't. I know a dozen people who have not paid them for up to 3 years and they still have power. Unlike PGE they don't want their crappy panels back and it's not worth their time to remove them thus free power. Fight back people, there are several ways to screw the pooch. Don't feel bad they screwed you with their slick lies. Those millinial salesman who no longer work there were ran out of your town and mine. and soon enough the whole deal is gonna topple.

Barbara Bell
September 17th, 2018 Calimesa, CA DETAILS

SolarCity reps are great at the beginning. They make you feel as if this is their produce and service is the best ever. As soon as we were signed up it was no communication for days and weeks. From the signup date to the date of connection was over a year. After that we heard nothing from them. We were to get a payment schedule within 30 days. Two years later we still had no schedule, did not know how much to pay or when. I called several time and was told they would get right back to me. No one ever did. I talked to several people but never received the schedule. Finally, this year (3 yrs later) we received PAST DUE statements for three months and then nothing again. I have had it with this company, its communication issues and service.

tony f.
August 21st, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Worst company ever. My roof was damaged in resent storms and needed to be replaced. After being on hold for a hour they informed me that to have the Panels removed, the soonest date would be sometime next year. I could pay for a private contractor to remove, but if damaged it would be at my cost. Don't get Solar Panels with Solar City. There is no customer Service! Horrible.

Lusio Barraza
August 21st, 2018 Highland, CA DETAILS

First of all all the five star reviews are obviously SolarCity employees you're too short and sweet or long-winded with technical points.. I bought a new house and had to deal with SolarCity leaks caused by them, not using sealant where they anchor to rafters, customer service 3 hours on hold There back up on removing panels for anyone unless its new install, until 2019! And was told to hire contactor to remove/reinstall, taking a chance by voiding my warranty by doing that..

Mary Margaret Johnston
August 20th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

I had panels installed in June of 2015 but it took 6 weeks before SoCalEd would allow the system to be turned on. I have flat cement tiles on my roof and 41 tiles were cracked during installation. Solar City replaced all the broken tiles in a timely manner. I did not buy but lease the panels. I have been extremely happy with Solar City, now Tesla. I can crank up the AC and know that I will not be penalized with a huge electric bill each month. My only complaint is only 70% of my electricity is covered with solar and a 3-foot easement is required by Long Beach (California) building code. Just another way for Long Beach to micromanage. Their reasoning is "the fire department needs the 3-foot easement." Well, only if the fire fighters are fat and broad. 18 inches would be plenty of easement and would allow more panels. As far as Customer Service--they are there to answer any questions. Our representative, Karen B, is terrific.

Alan Salcido`
August 16th, 2018 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS

I'VE BEEN WITH "SOLAR CITY" 2 SOLID YEARS NOW...SO FAR SO GOOD...I feel i did save some money, what sucked is the sales rep that signed me up, she never told me about the "TRU-UP's" bill with PG&E at the end of the year with "Solar City" which is about $1,220.00 which I think that was a sneaky trick so she could get her commission on the sale. But still after breaking it down I'm still saving a little bit. BUT now "TELSA" is taking over, I'll see if there crooked or not, I'm monitoring my bill closely now, ANY SCREW -UPS with these characters, trust me I'll shut them down, and fire them.... and I'll start up with my local vendors like "SUN-SOLAR" which does has very high and good ratings. I just might still make that move anyways...LOL. But I'll give "TELSA" the benefit of the doubt. I'll see what their up to for now and see if I do save $$$ or not. If not,,,,then ADIOS!!! SEE YA~~~~~~~~ Alan S. Bakersfield,Ca

Walter Atterholt
August 16th, 2018 Redlands, CA DETAILS

signed contract Nov. 2013. system installed Jan 2014 after redoing all the contracted paperwork because they had me sign outdated forms for SCE telling me they just received the new forms yet they had been posted on the SCE website before I even started the process. System not activated till July 2017. They kept telling me that first I needed a new meter - which I already had for over a year then that they were waiting for SCE approval. after several months I contacted SCE Net metering and found that they were waiting for one piece of paperwork that solar city swore they had submitted. talked again 3 days later & paperwork received told 2-3 days until turn on. Contacted solar city customer service and was old it would take another 4-6 weeks before I could go outside and turn the switch. So many other lies. Told I would qualify for a Calif rebate but because of the delay it didn't happen. Told my tax break for solar would cover the $10k but didn't say anything about must not have any liability for payment so got stuck with a $10k balloon payment. Have never produced enough to decrease my to zero level and actually had to pay $1.3K last annual billing to cover the electricity used. Had to have them come out to repair a roof leak caused by installation. also their internet monitoring is too far from my modem to connect so I cant monitor my generation and have no idea if the system is even working properly. have been very dissatisfied and even told them to take the damn thin off my roof after 6 months of no activation due to their screw ups. needless to say the refused as I had signed a "contract".

Jesse Johnson
August 14th, 2018 Surprise, AZ DETAILS

Four words-Don't use Solar City. Worst business I have ever dealt with. Do your homework and go with some other company.

Sherri Bieber
August 14th, 2018 Northridge, CA DETAILS

We have Solar City and they undersized our unit which at the time I stated they were not installing enough panels. They assured me they were. That the panels produce 10% more than we need and if they don't they I will get a check. I have received a check every year. I have had them out and the comment was that I would have to buy an additional system to cover my electric usage. I am not happy.

Cathy Shecklen
August 13th, 2018 Fairfield, CA DETAILS

Most horrible business decision I've ever gotten into in my life. Every turn has been a nightmare and they have been completely unhelpful and argumentative threatening and rude. On top of dealing with all of their idiotic ways I still have to pay the electricity bill along with their bill. They lied when filling out the contract. They said I would not have an electricity bill anymore other than the normal $10 fee, but I pay a lot to the electricity company still. They promise to pay the true up bill but as of this last year they have denied it. It cost me more to have it than just to pay the electricity bill. Again, worst decision of my life.

Craig
August 13th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Our system has been operational since 1/15. It's a smaller Lease system. No real issues and everything has been addressed in a reasonable amount of time. This is the first time the whole system has gone down. 2 minor installation issues and SC addressed them without problems. Usually about a week (5-7 days). 8/11/18 our Inverter went south. It's in the 3rd year of its 10 year warranty. (Not a real good sign) And I was thinking of the Power Wall? Lets see how this issue plays out. Of course it goes on a weekend, and one of the hottest months here in Las Vegas. Their guesstimate is up to 2 weeks, a lengthy time considering the inverters should be a standard in stock item and a 10 year warranty, 3rd year out of a 10 year warranty.....It should last PAST the 10 year time frame, not the other way around. Yes I know there are different sizes for larger systems. Or a range of systems. As a retired maintenance manager these components should be in inventory if they were operating under the premise that Customer Service First. What I've found out is..... there ISN'T a service department in Las Vegas. They rely on private companies to perform most if not all their service repairs, this just adds a layer of bureaucracy to overcome. Their performance guarantee kinda falls flat, no sense of urgency. Remember, a company is only as good as its customer service.

dick wolfinger
August 13th, 2018 Yorba Linda, CA DETAILS

they take advantage of lay people in there industry. they are not very transparent. customer service is no help, read your contract is all they tell !! very disappointed !! when all is said and done, I,am the loser.

John T.
August 10th, 2018 Van Nuys, CA

WE have Solar City panels on our house now for several years and are very happy. The hardest part of the installation was dealing with LADWP of which Solar City did most of the work. Our electric bill went down from an average of $400 a month to $20, the minimum service cost for LADWP. During the summer the bill does go up slightly but never has it come even close to the $400. I have not experienced any customer service issues.

Michael F Dwyer
August 8th, 2018 DETAILS

Roof leak 3 weeks after panel install. Roof had never leaked before. Tesla did "courtesy patches", the interior damage not their liability!!!!!!

Shelley Fish
August 15th, 2018 Yuba City, CA DETAILS

We have solar through this company and the way they installed it caused a leak in our roof which made part of our ceiling collapse. It took 3 months of “delays” to have them fix it. Although they did repair the damage they refused to cover our cost for the power bill we received for those 3 months. The lady I dealt with was not nice and basically told me we were lucky they fixed it! Very disappointed in this company. Customer service is awful.

Robert Pike
August 8th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

We are very happy with SolarCity's solar. Our SDG&E bill went from $216.00 to $10.00 credit each month.

Catherine Kato
August 8th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

10 of 10. Up to the change to Telsa everything was great

James Harter
August 8th, 2018 Maynard, MA DETAILS

Company just changed name from Solar City to Tesla. Always been owned by Tesla , now that his name is on it he really needs to address the poor support because it will rub off on his other business ventures or he will sell it off and get rid of it. July 2018 System is not reporting it activity correctly( Data unavailable ). Called Tech support and worked with technician who said the bridge card inside the inverter has gone bad. Was told that we would get a call (within 24 hour) to schedule someone to come out and deal with the problem. Two day later (7/27/18) no call. Called tech support back gave them the case number and they then offered to schedule a tech to come out on 8/30/18 that is over a month later. The inverter seems to be working just not communicating with their gateway unit which is inside next to the router. I am now checking the power company net meter every day to see what is being fed back to the grid. system installed 2.5 year ago and had been working fine. If net meter shows system working then not to bad. Will be interesting how thing are billed. Support is poor, long waits on hold getting to talk with somebody, longer waits getting someone out to address a real problem. NOT GOOD!!!

alex varga
August 6th, 2018 Apple Valley, CA DETAILS

I just came across this website and found the ranking of the various Solar Companies. And upon reading some of the comments of unhappy customers, I was honestly shocked and dismayed as to the ranking given to Solar City. Two years ago, and after looking into various Solar Companies (and being skeptical about Solar in the past), I compared the steadily increasing electricity expenses charged by SO Cal Edison over the past ten years. And over that time, I noted the never ending applications by Edison to the PUC for approval for steady and continual increases. The handwriting on the wall became evident and Solar was the only answer to counter the increases in the future. And being retired and living on a fixed income, meant we needed to act. And being somewhat anal about record. keeping, I have spreadsheets for monthly expenses since I retired in Jan 2003. And my study and examination of Solar Companies led me to Solar City who installed the panels we needed based upon our electric power usage over the past two years So we decided to lease solar, as the purchase of the panels just didn't fit into our wallets. Since the panels were installed by Solar City (Aug 2016) , they have provided positive results in lowering our monthly electric bills via SO Cal Edison. In fact, we live in the High Desert area of So Cal where temps have been running over 100 degrees for the past several weeks. And we run our A/C for around 14 hrs a day. And each month we pay Solar City/Tesla a fixed Lease fee and So Cal Edison a small amount for their service as well. And those amounts, when comparing to our Edison Bills BEFORE Solar, combined, are less than what we paid before Solar. In fact inJuly, which is the start of the hot summer here, we paid Edison $9.81 in July 2017 and $.92 in July 2018. And combined with the Lease Fee to Solar City, both those bills were LESS than what we paid in July 2016. And in comparing the actual electrical usage during the same time period, the Solar City addition CUT our electric expenses for the same number of people living in our home (2). Now keep in mind, our PRIMARY reason for having Solar installed in the first place, was to counter the anticipated increases by Edison to provide us electricity. And though our monthly Solar City Lease fee did increase by $2.68 in 2018 (more than 2017), that increase was explained by the Solar City Representative who sold us the system (before installation) and is anticipated in the future. But that annual increase is a very small amount compared to the annual increases requested By So Cal Edison to the PUC. And I might add, I've not seen the PUC turn down any of those increases by Edison which are far more than the Solar City Lease increase. And as an aside, whenever something of note or changes in the manner in which So Cal Edison has recently changed their billing and charging method, we receive emails ahead of time, from the same Solar City Representative who sold us the system. So in closing, Solar City has delivered exactly what they said they would and continue to service us in the same manner I would expect from any service oriented business to conduct their business. But I do not believe that ranking given to Solar City is representative of the excellent service they've provided us. And when reading all the negative comments, reminds me of a neighbor of mine who came over and talked trash about the car dealership from which we bought our last car and have it regularly serviced. He called it the worst dealership he'd ever been to and he's 75 years old. But being his junior by 4 years, I can honestly say that car dealership is the best I've encountered in my lifetime. Only goes to show that some people apparently don't receive the same level of care and service that others do. And hence, some want to give a company 0-1 stars and others 4-5 stars. Makes me also wonder who pays for some of these comparisons and evaluation studies and just how independent they truly are. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Scott
August 1st, 2018 Roslindale, MA DETAILS

It was pretty good until I had squirrels damage some of the wiring. It stopped producing early May 2018. I have had different representatives from Solar City now Tesla come out. It is now nearly THREE MONTHS and it still has not been fixed. Try calling and get a straight answer as to why or when it will be fixed. Good luck. I’ve had one and only one representative out of numerous people from the company actually communicate with me. (Vanessa B).

Bridget
July 16th, 2018 Swansea, MA DETAILS

I was told they were coming out for routine maintenance. 5 weeks later I get my electric bill and it’s over 400 so I called solar city and we found out it’s been down since routine maintenance visit!!!! What I was next even told it was off and they did nothing to fix it in last5 weeks???? It has been 5 days and I still don’t even have a date to fix in the summer months when I need it most, oh and by the way I am told I need to continue to pay the estimated bill of $240 even though I have no working system on top of my outrageous electric bill