Best Company Guarantee Shinnova Solar Logo

Shinnova Solar

LAST UPDATED: January 29th, 2023

Shinnova Solar is Kansas City’s premier turnkey solar company.

Shinnova Solar provides all-inclusive custom energy solutions, including system design, solar panel installation, and 24/7 real-time energy monitoring. The company is dedicated to helping people focus on reducing their carbon footprint and promoting clean energy solutions.

Formerly known as Smart Home Innovations LLC, Shinnova Solar wants customers to know that although its name changed, its commitment to clean energy remains the primary focus.

The Good

• Financing Options
  • Trained Professionals
  • Solar Energy Storage Solutions
  • Referral Program

Financing Options

Shinnova Solar works with several solar and renewable energy lending partners, including Sunlight Financial, Loanpal, Enium, and Mosaic.

Whichever company lending partner you choose to work with, Shinnova Solar boasts that you can finance your solar system with low, fixed monthly payments, competitive interest rates, and either little or no upfront costs.

Trained Professionals

Shinnova Solar is NABCEP Certified.

This means that Shinnova has met the NABCEP’s experience and advanced training requirements and has been deemed capable of meeting the demands of renewable energy projects and employers worldwide.

Shinnova Solar is a Telsa Energy Certified Installer. This means that Shinnova Solar’s technicians are trained to install Telsa’s Powerwall and adhere to the strict quality, permitting and inspection requirements.

Shinnova Solar has also completed the Franklin Home Power online installation training. This illustrates the company's commitment to quality installation.

Solar Energy Storage Solutions

Shinnova Solar recently completed the Franklin Home Power installation training. This means the company is now certified to install FranklinWH solar batteries. This will allow customers to be more prepared in the event of an energy outage.

Referral Program

Shinnova Solar is so dedicated to helping everyone go green that it offers a referral program to its clients.

Shinnova clients can make some money by referring their family, friends, neighbors, and acquaintances to go solar. Registering for the program is really simple. Just log on to the Shinnova website, enter your information, and follow the instructions from there. If one of your referrals makes a purchase, you’re then rewarded.

The Bad

Limited Availability

Shinnova Solar’s service area is fairly limited. Currently, the solar company is only available to those living in Kansas, Iowa, and Missouri. Consumers who do not live in these states will not have the opportunity to do business with Shinnova Solar.

The Bottom Line

Residents of the Kansas City Metro area looking for a reliable solar installation company should look into Shinnova Solar. The company is locally and veteran-owned, with over 500 installs. Shinnova knows that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to solar, so it works with each client to ensure they’re getting a customized system that fits their unique needs.

not_listed_location

Shinnova Solar Frequently Asked Questions

Why choose to work with Shinnova Solar?

Shinnova Solar only uses top-tier equipment and takes pride in its work, offering a 25-year warranty covering panels, microinverters, racking, and power production, plus a 20-year workmanship warranty on parts, labor, and roof penetration. Shinnova Solar is committed to providing the best customer service experience for the life of your solar project, boasting a free tax-concierge service, NABCEP certifications, local installation teams, and diverse financing packages. Shinnova Solar+Home is your one-stop-shop for "whole home" energy-proofing, and specializes in energy-efficient windows, doors, siding, and roof installation.

What are the financial benefits of solar energy?

Installing a solar energy system at your home or business can result in cost savings on your monthly electricity expenses and shield you from potential increases in energy rates. The amount you can save may vary based on local utility rates and solar regulations, but choosing to use solar power is a wise decision no matter where you are located.

How does the federal solar tax credit work?

The federal solar tax credit, also known as the Investment Tax Credit (ITC), allows individuals and businesses that install solar energy systems to claim a credit on their federal tax return for a portion of the cost of the solar system. The ITC provides a credit equal to 26 percent of the cost of a solar energy system. This means that if you install a solar energy system that costs $10,000, you can claim a credit of $2,600 on your federal tax return. The credit can be claimed in the year that the solar energy system is placed in service. The ITC is available to both residential and commercial solar energy systems. It is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in the amount of income tax that you owe, which can help offset the upfront costs of installing a solar energy system.

What is net metering?

Net metering is a billing mechanism that allows individuals or businesses with solar panels to sell excess electricity back to the grid. It helps to offset the costs of the renewable energy system by crediting the system owner for the excess electricity that is generated and sent back to the grid.

How does solar impact my property values?

Evidence suggests that having a solar energy system installed on your property can increase its value. A study conducted by the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found that homes with solar panels tend to sell for a premium compared to similar homes without solar panels. The study found that the premium varied by location, but on average, homes with solar panels sold for about 4.1 percent more than comparable homes without solar panels.

What are the environmental benefits of solar energy?

Solar energy allows for reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and increase of energy independence. It is a clean, renewable energy source that can save water and protect wildlife.
Message from
Shinnova Solar

Since 2016, Shinnova Home has provided solar installations throughout the Kansas City area. Since the day we did our first job, we’ve been committed to delivering outstanding results and superior customer service from start to finish.

It’s that dedication to providing an excellent experience for our customers that has earned us A+ accreditation with the Better Business Bureau and many positive reviews.

We never apply any high-pressure sales tactics during your initial consultation. Instead, the Shinnova team enjoys educating our potential customers. We don’t just want to make a sale; we want to provide you with the information you need to make the decision that’s right for you.

We give you the power!

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down
bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Carl Greene MO

Shinnova Solar, Did great! They came to the house multiple times and went over the how much power would we need and how much the solar panels would generate. They went over many purchase plans and loans. They performed numerous inspections of the house and power system before generating plans and submitting them for approval. They provide weekly updates till the system was approve and then scheduled a date for installation. Then followed up with the web site for inspecting the system. They went the extra mile on helping with financing and with set me up with a tax person to help gain all the credits I was able to get. Overall, Shinnova Sola was great to work with and I highly recommend them and I have been telling all friends about them

James Oliver Lawrence, KS

They did a good job installing. Was done in 1 day as informed. Only issue we had was communication with when installation was pushed back and when tree service was pushed back we weren't told and had to reach out ourselves. When communicating with rep was made to feel we weren't understanding. I know delays happen but we should not be the ones to reach out and find out they are running behind. Would definitely recommend Shinnovabut I was not satisfied with the way I was made to feel.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi James, Thanks for taking a moment to share about your experience. I'm very sorry to hear about the communication issue. If you feel you would like to discuss further, please reach out to me directly at (913)-392-8891, or [email protected] I'm very glad you chose to work with us, and we care that the process of going solar is a very easy, simple process. I really appreciate your feedback and we are already working to make sure this issue is fixed in future installations.

Dec. 19th, 2022

James Lanning (Jimmy) Lawrence, KS

James G. Came out and walked me through the process. Assessed how many trees would need removed to provide enough viable daylight to produce the amount of electricity I would need to be ahead of usage consumption most of the year. 80% or so I think. After about 8 weeks later materials were delivered. Trees were removed by professional Arborists. And the grid and photovoltaic panels along with the transfer switch and net meter enclosure were installed by their team in only two days. The electircal component installers did a small bit of damage in my drywall above the garage. But it was so minimal my friend just patched it for me before their guy had a chance to come back to get it fixed. I have received emails with the rebate materials enclosed and need to review and allocate all my tax return information to file thru turbo tax pro as soon as everything has been compiled. Overall I would highly recommend for your solar needs and have told at least 6 people to use them and tell them I sent them to ya. And I think some went forward with the deal. The level of professionalism their teams showed me was that they were good at their trades and took pride in a job well done. So far the meter has been installed. And the system works as intended. Just need to schedule my regular cleaning maintenance. And reap the benefits of going solar. For my wallet 💸 and the planet 🌎 and my child's 👶future. 10/10 🍿 5-star 🌟 🌟🌟🌟🌟 🌞 👍

Nicole Taft Oak Grove, MO

They were *very* thorough in every way. From the initial presentation to the regular communication - even the call about the upcoming tax credits and so forth. They've walked me through every step and been on top of the entire project 110% of the time.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Nicole, wow, I'm so glad you chose to work with us! We do our very best to make the switch to solar as clear, easy and stress-free as possible. Thanks for trusting us with your home and congrats on your new solar system!

Alan Johnson Wichita, KS

Basic plan, cost, timetable set on first contact April 3, 2022. Nor financing, but buying system . . Pop ermits ok from city snd Evergy by early june with reduction in size of display. Not happy with subsequent delay due to battery installer being behind. nothing fir 1 and half months .early August..solar panels installed.. mid to lste August..batteries and house tie in ...then solar tue in. Charging station on Sept 2 and inspection ok on Sept 16. Everything took way too long but exceedingly happy with every alk aspects except charging dtztion does not work. To be fixed this week Time dekays also due to need for different batteries

Jennifer Gray Lenexa, KS

Best ever!! My husband and I have been totally satisfied with every step of the way with Shinnova!! I highly recommend Shinnova! Great communication, excellent service and the best over all!!

Kimberly Phillips Blue Springs, MO

Everyone was so on top of everything and always willing to answer questions. Hannah basically maneuvered the HOA and city stuff for us, no worries for us!

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Kimberly, thank you for your response! We love when we can work with HOAs to make solar possible for you and your neighbors. Congrats on your new solar system!

Joseph VanBiber Blue Springs, MO

Everyone was prompt and helpful. They kept in contact regularly. They have accounting services that make sure I get the most return when filing for taxes.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Joseph, thanks for taking a moment to review your experience with us. We do our best to make sure every customer gets as much tax benefit as they can, hope its a nice big check for you. Congrats on your new solar project.

Cheryl Lorhan

Project manager kept us informed throughout the process and person assigned to assist with tax rebates, etc.

Eugene Warrensburg, MO

The staff I worked with through the entire process of selecting, engineering, installation and post installation support were knowledgeable and friendly.

Kyle Gagnon Shawnee Mission, KS

They weren't pushy, they were very knowledgeable, and they were on top of all the information and in communication with me. A

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi Kyle, thanks for taking a moment to leave us a review. Our primary focus is education and sharing the latest information for customers to make the best choices for themselves. I'm glad you chose to make the switch to solar!

Daniel Kansas City, KS

They made the process really easy, they handled all of the process with the city & kept us up to date on where we were at in the process

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Daniel, thanks for taking the time to review your experience with Shinnova. I am glad the process was very easy for you. Switching from your utility company to solar should be an easy process, accessible to all. Thanks for choosing Shinnova and congrats on your new solar system.

Steven Baugh Lees Summit, MO

Shinnova kept our project moving even when faced with obstacles. The installers were efficient and professional. We're very happy!

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi Steven, thanks for the honest review. Sometimes we hit obstacles in the process, there's no avoiding it, whether its the city, or HOAs, or you name it. We do our best to resolve the issues for you as quickly as possible to keep your project moving along. I'm glad you made the switch to solar, and congrats on your new solar system!

John Hensley Monett, MO

Great installation techs. No mess. The banking people ar Bright Oak were awesome. The girl at Shinnova was awesome. Can't remember her name just now.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

John, thanks for the review! We love our install teams. They are all local and really care about the work they do for their neighbors. We also love being able to offer many different financing options. I'm glad you had a great experience with us. Congrats on your new solar system!

Leah Edson Lansing, KS

They made installing solar on out home so easy! Everyone was so easy and helpful. I would definitely recommend them to anyone I know.

Albert Lawrence, KS

I highly recommend this solar company. They sit down, talk and listen. They have kept connected with me through the whole process.

Keith P Henderson Kansas City, MO

Company staff/representatives at all levels have been friendly, professional, and eager to provide great service.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi Keith, thanks for taking a moment to give us a review. I'm glad you chose Shinnova. We do our best with every customer to make it a great experience to switch to solar from day 1, to 25 years from now, when you solar system is still producing clean energy powered by the sun! Congrats on your new solar system!

Chris Pratt Paola, KS

Very helpful case manager answered any questions I had and was very prompt with responses

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Chris, thanks for taking the time to give us a review! Our project management team is top-notch, in my (un)biased opinion. We are very pleased you chose to work with us, congrats on your new solar system!

Steven BROWN Liberty, MO

So far so good. Installtion went well. Will know more after a few months operation of the system

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi Steven, thanks for the review. I'm glad to hear the process has been good for you so far. Here comes the fun part, watching your solar energy production rise, and your energy bills plummet. Congrats on your new solar system!

Aian Johnson Lawrence, KS

Cuts electric bill even when overcast, exciting to track on Franklin app...draws attentiin And

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Aian, thanks for the great review. You pointed out some important info not many people know. The panels we use have a high production value and produce extraordinarily well, even in overcast conditions. Also, tracking your battery storage system usage is great way to have more peace of mind and awareness about your energy usage. Thanks for choosing to work with us, congrats on your new solar system!

John Komoga Saint Joseph, MO

Professional technicians who knew their job

Joyce Richmond Kansas City, MO

Did what they said. Kept us informed all through the process.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Hi Joyce, thanks for the review! I'm glad you trusted us with your solar project. Sometimes it's just nice to know someone is going to do exactly what they say. Congrats on your new solar system!

Lynn Ervin Hoover Lees Summit, MO

Panel are up and running and delivering energy

Lynn Hoover Lee's Summit, MO

Need the start date and end dates for installation. Need date system went live Need finance fees from lender

Pam Jackson Lawrence, KS

So far professional and customer iriented

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Pam, thank you for taking a moment to leave a review. We want customers to have the best experience possible when switching to solar. We believe in making the switch to solar simple and easy for everyone. Congrats on your new solar system!

Dave Noland Belton, MO

Very professional and very helpful getting started.

Praveen Kumar Kansas City, MO

Best in the industry. Smooth transaction end to end.

Tom Switzer IA

Hello , I agreed to purchase a solar system from shinnova solar in Oct. 2020 with the agreement that the system would be installed and producing energy before the end of dec. 2020 . Today 7 months later , after tons of phone calls and excuses on there behalf , I still dont have me system installed. The finance company has released the funds to shinnova solar and in July 2021 I will be making my first payment for my uninstalled solar system. Bottom line is , if had to do it all over again I would NOT purchase from SHINNOVA SOLAR.

Reply from Shinnova Solar

Tom, I'm very concerned to hear about this situation, and you mean a lot to us as a customer. I want to help rectify this situation however I can. My direct line is 913-392-8891. Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience, I want to resolve this issue with you.

Nov. 15th, 2022