TruGreen Logo

8.0

LAST UPDATED: July 15th, 2022

TruGreen is a professional lawn care service and landscape design company that goes to great efforts to give its customers a healthy and beautiful lawn. TruGreen provides science-based solutions that are tailor to meet the unique needs of every individual customer. A leader in the professional U.S. lawn care industry, TruGreen helps people get a lawn they'll love.

The Good

• Lawn Pest Control
  • Thorough Lawn Care Plans
  • Practical and Easy-To-Use Mobile App
  • Employee Expertise and Training

Lawn Pest Control

TruGreen is a company that specializes in lawn care, so it only makes sense that it provides lawn pest control solutions. Customers can select from the TruShield℠ Tick and Flea Control Plan, Grub Prevention and Control Services or Fire Ant Control Services. Each plan targets and helps reduce the number of insects around a home. Most homeowners know how annoying it is to have bugs and other insects flying or crawling around their home, but on top of that many outdoor pests can spread diseases or cause allergic reactions in both people and pets. Thankfully, every TruGreen specialist is equipped to handle these insect control issues.

TruShield Lawn Pest Control addresses almost any major insect/pest problem:

• Ticks
  • Fleas
  • Chiggers
  • Earwigs
  • Ants*
  • Spiders

*Ant control is not included in TruShield for all locations; the program does not control fire ants

The Grub Prevention plan can help protect a lawn from various types of beetles and other common pests that will burrow themselves into the soil and help themselves to the grassroots.

TruGreen's Fire Ant Control Services can be administered in two different ways: broadcast treatments that cover the entire yard or target mound treatments that are applied near specific ant hills.

TruGreen even offers a Mosquito Control and Defense Treatment which includes 6 mosquito spray applications per year starting at $79.95, and the monthly applications are conducted using specialized equipment to target where the biting mosquito is or could be living. The TruGreen Mosquito Defense service is backed by a mosquito-free guarantee, which includes free mosquito treatment should the pest return.

Thorough Lawn Care Plans

At its center, TruGreen is a lawn care company. Customers looking to improve the health of their lawn can choose from the four of TruGreen's lawn care plans. TruGreen's lawn care services are performed by professionals and expert technicians, backed by TruGreen's healthy lawn guarantee, and are a part of the Premier Green™ Program which guarantees customers a healthy green lawn.

TruComplete℠ Lawn Care Plan

• TruExpert Certified Specialists
  • Healthy Law Guarantee®
  • Pre-Emergent and Targeted Wee Control

Practical and Easy-To-Use Mobile App

With the TruGreen mobile app, customers will be able to manage their lawn care needs all from their cell phone. Users can:

• View lawn programs
  • Contact the company's lawn care professionals
  • Access account history, service dates, and tickets
  • Provide feedback on a visit
  • Get notified on your specialists progress and track their ETA
  • Browse and purchase complementary services
  • Add a new credit card or ACH account
  • Pay bills
  • Sign up for EasyPay or PrePay billing
  • View payments
  • Manage communication preferences-switch to email or text service notifications
  • View PDFs of documents regarding any of your TruGreen services

Employee Expertise and Training

The climate, season, and region will all determine what kind of lawn care a homeowner needs. TruGreen employs a team of agronomic experts (specializes in soil management and crop production) who can help homeowners identify and treat any lawn care threats. The team also instructs TruGreen's specialist team during their TruGreen TruExpert Certification Program.

Since each lawn has unique needs, TruGreen specialists go through rigorous training that requires annual recertification. The training ensures that each specialist can develop and tailor a lawn care program that will result in a greener lawn.

The Bad

• Only Treats Lawn Pests
  • First Application Pricing

Only Treats Lawn Pests

As a company that specializes in lawn care services, TruGreen only provides pest control for lawn damaging insects, meaning that the company does not cover any interior pest problems of a home or commercial area. It also means that TruGreen only takes care of certain types of pests that reside in the grass, rather than homes. If individuals have pre-existing pest concerns in their home or business, TruGreen can likely not treat for the problem.

First Application Pricing

TruGreen states that all lawn plans are $29.95 for a first time application. However, in the fine print, that pricing is only available if a customer purchases an annual plan. Customers will also have to sign up for EasyPay or PrePay, and the pricing is only available for lawns up to 5,000 square feet. TruGreen states that the first time application pricing cannot be used with or in conjunction with any other offer or discount, only valid at participating TruGreen locations, availability of services may vary by geography, and consumers are responsible for all sales tax.

The Bottom Line

TruGreen is undoubtedly an excellent option for customers wanting a healthier lawn and a beautiful landscape. The company's lawn care services are thorough and customers have plenty of plan options to choose from.

As far as pest control services, the company may not be the ideal choice. TruGreen only covers the lawn of a home or business; it does not take care of interior problems. All in all, TruGreen is a great company, but perhaps customers should look elsewhere if they want a pest control company that covers the interior of their home.

Homeowners should call TruGreen's customer service representative, or consult our verified TruGreen Pest Control reviews to learn more about this lawn care and landscaping business.

View Best Pest Control Companies

4.1

Dwayne Holland Charlotte, NC

Well we had a bad problem with fleas and what I loved was they had them under control in less than a week, good fast and professionally handled. Yes I do highly recommend trugreen

Steven Whites Salt Lake City, UT

They did an amazing job on spraying the outside of my house to kill off all of the spiders, ear wigs, insects, wasps and bees. They are only pricey if you have them come out once a year, but if you have them come out 2-3 times a year they give you a better deal. The only part I did not like about this company is that you were pretty much on an auto-renew at the time of signing up for a few sprayings. They didn't mention that part when I wanted spring and fall sprayed for.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

We used TruGreen for Pest and lawn care; no complaints! They showed up as scheduled and always left signage for how long the treated areas were traceable I guess so people knew not to walk on the lawn. Inside house was never a bug problem and the lawn was beautiful. we've since moved and havent yet acquired a new company but they wouod be on the top of the list.

Tara Gillispie Hurricane, WV

TruGreen sprays our yard every year for fleas and ticks. We have animals and by having them come and spray every year it has made a huge impact.

Carolyn Hazleton, PA

Lawn care is the most important part of being a home owner and having an issue with lawn bugs is the worst. Customer service worked very diligently to resolve my concerns and answered all my questions in a quick and timely manner.

Brittany Clark

TruGreen has been a great company to do business with. They have treated my lawns and trees several times with great success. They are great at making bugs go away that are trying to kill trees or shrubs. Their fertilize makes grass grow fast, thick and green!

Rebecca D Sterling Heights, MI

TrueGreen is amazing for outdoor lawn pests. We had a mole issue that took a while to resolve until TruGreen came along. They sorted it out quickly and efficiently. Great customer service. Will definitely recommend and use again.

Michelle Crane Mesa, AZ

Trugreen is not only good with pest control but they also specialize with lawn care as well. We used them while in a rental and have friends that use them as well with great results

Cam Hall Richmond, VA

I paid for bug services with my lawn care (weed control, aeration) and it was mostly positive. It always seemed like they have less people working on the bug side than the lawn side because it was harder to schedule bug services than lawn services. When they came out though they did a great job.

Mandy Pesce Holmdel, NJ

I like the fact that they are available quickly and they worked expeditiously to get our property evaluated and treated. We know we can trust them for quality work every time.

Janette Vogel Fairfield Bay, AR

We hired Trugreen to help us with our 1.2 acre yard to help keep it healthy and green(like their name says). We were sautéed they could take care of the lawn pests we had and apply fertilizer. After a year, our lawn looked worse than it did when we started! We tried, several times, to speak with the supervisor who said he would come out and take a look. He did but nothing changed. Needless to say, we didn’t keep the service.

KMR R Olive Branch, MS

Just tried Tru Green on a home I am selling. We had carpenter bees which are hard to treat. They did an amazing job.

J. Garrett Detroit, MI

I had my backyard sprayed for mosquitoes and it really helped a lot! In a matter of just a few days my yard was bug-free!

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

We used Tru Green Pest Control as part of our lawn care combination package. They did a nice job and very effectively.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

TruGreen was able to spray for bugs and take care of the lawn at the same time making it really convenient.

Yu-Chieh Wang Beaufort, SC

I'd give them a zero stars if I could. Terrible service. I used them for my lawn for a while, but started to see all kinds of weeds. I tried working with them for about a year to try and resolve the issue, calling every time and asking them to come out when there was a problem, but they didn't seem to care. They were not at all proactive about coming up with solutions. I feel like they just showed up, sprayed whatever they had on their truck and sent me a bill. They never diagnosed the problem. Our lawn was almost completely destroyed, even after we spent a small fortune re-sodding at one point. I finally fired them and hired another company, and within a few months, my lawn was weed free. We also had a contract with TruGreen for their mosquito spray service at our second home. Twice they were scheduled to come spray and instead, said that our gate was locked so they didn't perform the service. Interesting, since we don't even have a gate. The first time it happened, I thought it was an honest mistake. When it happened a second time, I canceled my contract. I feel like the company is not honest and does not care about their customers. One last thing - when I tried to call about the mosquito service, I was told that the wait time was over 3 hours. I finally got someone to help me cancel the contract online, via their live chat.

adrian avram Tampa, FL

my grass suffered by many years of neglect so when I hired Trugreen at my neighbor advice I was hoping for a fast improvement > They treated for bugs and fertilize it and in 2 months it was much better but still not great-They said to wait at least 6 month for max results since now is the dry season and lack of water affects grass grow

Ted Johnson Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used TruGreen in the past and I was very satisfied with their service and their knowledge of the industry and the ability to not only do the pest control, but all of my yard services.

Christine Quick Lee's Summit, MO

Their customer service isn’t the best but the product works great. It’s the only thing that has kept our chiggars at bay.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We used TruGreen for outdoor pest control. Their technicians were always polite and professional. We had much less spiders and wasps so the product is effective as well.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

Have used TruGreen in the past and they always did a good job and I was happy and satisfied with their work.

ramesh pothuru Morrisville, PA

applied solution outside and inside of the house. somewhat moderate service.

SHAN S Fayetteville, NC

Great customer service and very thorough!

Sara Jane Crestwood, KY

I signed up through a door to door sales initiative. They came regularly. And I saw less success in my lawn than when I used do it yourself sprays.

Victor Des Plaines, IL