Skillshare is an online learning community with thousands of creative and entrepreneurial classes to fuel lifelong learning. Students can access 100s of classes for free or upgrade to Premium to unlock access to the entire catalog of 20,000+ classes. Focusing on in-demand creative and entrepreneurial skills, Skillshare classes cover popular topics like design, marketing, freelancing, and more. Plus, classes include resources, projects, and community to provide a rich learning experience.

#2 Khan Academy chevron_right
#3 ACT Online Prep chevron_right

The Good

• Nontraditional Schooling
  • Free Trial
  • Premium Perks

Nontraditional Schooling

Skillshare is proud to focus on reinventing learning as it strives to break away from the "degree" mold and provide students with an innovating and intriguing training program to learn new skills. The online classes are full of creative online discussions and self-paced learning. Skillshare's training courses range from design to business to technology, and for a competitive price, users have unlimited access to thousands of interactive online courses and communication platforms to share projects and ideas.

Each program offers short, on-demand video training from teachers who actually work in the subject field. The online classes are designed to help students complete their work on their own time, helping students progress at their own pace while still continuing to interact with other students and instructors throughout the duration of the class. Most instructional videos range from 45 minutes to an hour, which helps to hold the attention of the students and also provide significant time to complete assignments and projects while still maintaining a regular social schedule.

Free Trial

Skillshare also offers a free 2-month trial for new users that gives you unlimited access to Skillshare's course catalog of over 24,000 classes. If students like the material, they can then access classes anytime by paying $15 monthly or $99 for an annual premium membership. There is no contract so members can cancel their subscription at any time. In short, Skillshare is setting itself apart from the competition in three significant ways:

• Charges a comparatively low monthly fee for unlimited access to the online learning platform
  • Provides offline learning for users on the go
  • Gives a 14-day free trial, also with unlimited access

Premium Perks

When signing up for a premium membership, members receive the following perks:

• Unlimited access to over 24,000 classes
  • Ability to download classes within the app to watch later
  • No ads
  • Support Teachers
  • Scholarships
  • Get discounts on services and benefits*

*Annual premium membership only ($99/year)

The Bad

• Traditional Education Seekers
  • Unclear Course Access

Traditional Education Seekers

For learners who are looking to have one-on-one contact with an instructor or teacher, who are wishing to be tested and quizzed on a regular basis, or who are hoping for a "typical classroom structure" Skillshare is not the appropriate option.

This company also doesn't offer any proof of completing a course to be used in the workforce. Teachers and courses aim to help others learn new skills in their respective fields with an online learning community, not provide certification.

Lastly, not all instructors are certified teaching professionals. Class videos can be taught by nearly anyone (this is not to discount the level of learning possible) and are not generated through Skillshare's internal company. This makes an traditional, instructor-led training even less likely.

Unclear Course Access

Skillshare offers those who are hesitant to sign up access to watch the beginning clip on thousands of their free classes. This gives potential members a feel for how the classes on Skillshare work. To unlock the rest of the course, Skillshare requires either a free or premium membership.

However, if members only have the free membership, venturing beyond the free classes page can be frustrating since most of the classes require the premium membership to access the entire course. There is also no way to see which classes are a part of the premium membership. So members won’t know if they have access to the entire class until they click on it.

The Bottom Line

For individuals searching for an online learning platform with affordable costs, endless class options, and independent, hands-on activities, Skillshare is a training provider that they should definitely look into. Customer reviews appreciate Skillshare's usability, the hundreds of free classes offered, and the quality of the short instructional videos. For many students, it seems to be the perfect training center. Furthermore, Skillshare offers packages for companies or teams hoping to include a large group of individuals in an instructional class.

However, potential members should consider and weigh the company's flaws to its strengths. The programs do not have direct instructor-led training, meaning students and instructors do not interact directly. Skillshare also does not offer any form of certification completion and they are not AICC or SCORM compliant, and many of the classes are locked unless you purchase the premium membership.

Nonetheless, Skillshare is a great online training site for those who are interested in a nontraditional way to gain experience in many different fields, expand their networking community, discover new opportunities and learn valuable soft and technical skills.

2.2

manav patel

September 16th, 2020 Potomac, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Worst customer service. Once paid, you cannot cancel your subscription even for partial refund.

Verified Customer with Skillshare

July 2nd, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was able to get a Premium membership with a discount code and paid $69.30 via Paypal on 5-30-20. Today, (7-2-20) I found that I was billed AGAIN for the full $99.00 directly to my credit card, which was NOT authorized in any way shape or form. Both charges were verified thru my account and both are for the annual service. The only thing I can think of is their app somehow was able to get access to my banking info via my phone which has my card info as I NEVER typed this in on their site. And, btw, There is NO customer support at all via phone. You have to email them thru their contact page. At this point, I don't care about how accidental this was with their app. I never authorized the charge and never went into any settings or toggled any buttons to authorize this charge. And to have to be dependent on whenever the heck they decide to respond to the web page/email is totally unacceptable. Period.

Lien Geets

April 16th, 2020 Liedekerke, VBR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Please don't use their 30 day free trail!!! They authomaticly get money from your bankaccount en refuse to refund you !!!!

Paul

March 22nd, 2020 Sheffield, SHF

I am an instructor on skillshare and numerous times have my courses been removed because they apparently breach guidelines. When ever I ask which guideline has been broken they are unable to tell me, or will tell me it was for a reason that was not in the guidelines at all. Long story short for fear of my account getting banned, as after three strikes they ban you. I will not be publishing any more content on Skillshare

Ginny Prosch

February 4th, 2020 Tuscaloosa, AL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Like other reviews on this site, I had an awful experience with Skillshare Customer Service when I asked for a refund. I signed up for a free trial. I tried it out for about 10 minutes, wasn't super impressed, and figured I would try again at some point. Well, lo and behold, my free trial ends- because it was a two month trial and I was never notified of when it would expire. I got billed the monthly price (thank goodness) and the DAY that it showed up on my bank account I contacted Skillshare for a refund. I had not used the service and did not plan to for the foreseeable future. I figured this owuld be super easy, since I have never had trouble asking companies to refund me for forgetting to cancel a subscription. Just days before, Amazon refunded me over 100 dollars for a Prime membership that I wasn't planning on renewing, because it went unused- and that isn't even the only example! Like I said, I figured it would be no trouble. I really wish I could post the exchange between me and the customer service rep. It is embarrassing that they adhere to these kinds of business policies. He kept telling me that they were very transparent with the refund policy, and that I was emailed 3 days before the trial ended. I cannot find any such email, not even in my spam folder. I repeatedly told the rep that I did not use the service, was not notified when the trial would end, and could not see myself using Skillshare because of this experience. He had the nerve to offer me a 40 percent discount on a premium membership. I will NEVER use Skillshare because of this experience, and I mean it when I say I would have considered re-subscribing at a later time. Now there is not a chance. They can keep my 20 dollars and enjoy all of the negative pr. I certainly hope that 20 bucks was worth it.

Shannon Ryan

January 30th, 2020 Hartsville, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A poorly run company, both from a custom and a creators standpoint. They have shown little regard for the thousands of course creators on the platform, providing little communication or support. As a customer myself, trying to work with support to cancel a credit card transaction was futile. They care little for anyone except Skillshare.

Kathleen Bath

January 19th, 2020 Leppington, NSW DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They say you will get an email before the trial expires advising your card will be charged. I wasn't advised and I had forgotten about the trial because the content is useless so I hadn't used it. Don't sign up for the trial unless you are happy for them to take your money.

Aaron Clark

January 14th, 2020 Glen Allen, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Classes are pretty good. However, I was locked out of my account about a month ago and have been trying to get back in since. After paying $100 in August 2019, I still have 8 months of subscription. I contacted customer service and communicated with someone through a string of about 8 emails, still got nowhere in re-opening my account then poof...they no longer responded. I tried going thrugh the website messaging center again, but nothing. I'm really irritated they don't have a customer service number. Now, I will be canceling and requesting a refund, but doubt I'll get anywhere.

KFR

December 27th, 2019 Santa Monica, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Skillshare took my money and refused a refund just like everyone else here. I contacted my bank to reverse the charge. I have them all of the details: canceled my account a long time ago, didn’t agree to auto pay, never received an email to tell me they would be charging me, etc. The bank did an investigation and then refunded my money. Do it. Tell them about this site, and the Better Business Bureau website where they have an F rating and a lot of customer complaints. Skillshare has to cough up the money PLUS a service charge to the bank. They are just hoping you won’t. If enough people do this then they’ll have to change their policy. Unless, of course, their whole business model is to defraud people.

Lindsay Gavine

December 17th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I signed up to Skillshare for the free trial. All of the tutorials looked very bland and basic, the kind of thing you could find on youtube for free. I wasn't interested at all. I forgot to unsubscribe to the service and since then they've been charging me £84.00 a year. They did this twice until I noticed a few days ago. they only agreed to send me the last payment and not the first one. I want ALL of my money back. I never watched a single one of their videos! If I had automatically been assigned a monthly plan the impact would not have been so devastating and I would have been able to notice sooner but they took all of this money at once which really hurts me, I think they assign the annual plan for this reason. Skillshare, give me back my £168.00!!!!!

Sam Bowers

November 13th, 2019 Santa Clara, CA

Poor, very poor service if you're teacher. I had my class posted for many years and then one day I received an email that my class was removed because of their updated guidelines. No prior warning, no chance to fix what was missing, nothing. For anyone wanting to post their classes on Skillshare, be warned that your class may be removed one day if they decide to tweak their terms.

Scott

October 30th, 2019 Chandler, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware of Skillshare's billing policy. They do not warn you when they are going to charge for the annual billing. They claim they do, however in my case, nothing. There is no 'cancel service' option on their app, you have to go on their website and search for it. You only have a mere 7 days to reverse the billing. After that, even if only a day, TOUGH LUCK. Now I am stuck paying $99 for an annual premium for a service I have not used in months nor do I plan on using for the next 12 months. I do not recommend using any company with billing policies such as Skillshares.

Hoshi

October 9th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Customer Service for Skillshare is awful. CS is so inflexible about their refund policy for monthly accounts that it borders on theft. I didn't receive the reminder email they allege they sent before my free trial expired, which I didn't even use, before they began automatic billing. I was then summarily told to take a walk when I asked for a refund, then ignored when I pressed for a refund as a one time courtesy. Get better business practices, Skillshare.

Dafydd

October 7th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'm taking an art class. The lessons are excellent and I've learnt a lot, but the platform itself is uninuitiive and very user unfriendly, difficult to navigate, frustrating, woolly and... miserable. Really not fun at all. Can't find any shortcuts for navigating through videos and notes; nothing. It's like the early 1800s, honestly. I can't slag it off enough.

Giorgi

October 1st, 2019 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Useless classes that give you nothing, teach you nothing! Most of the classes are 20 mins in length. It is overpriced. $15 a month and you don't get nothing. Also, they have no refund policy so be careful to use their trial. In short, stay away. Find some better platform.

S

September 26th, 2019 Ballston Spa, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

After the end of a free trial period I was charged when I got no notice of the end, not a big deal as usually that'd be a MONTHLY fee which you can notice that first time, chalk up as oh well my mistake, and go and cancel. Not a full yearly fee. I noticed the charge, which happened on the 13th, on the 14th when I wasn't able to pay a bill. I found the transaction on paypal and sent an email to the address on the transaction. Supposedly a support email. I got No response. Not a one. Not even a form message saying we've got it and will get back to you. But I gave it what seemed like a reasonable amount of time for them to respond, a week, and then went to find another contact method. Only, this time I did get a response. Telling me well shucks darn if only you'd contacted us earlier as there's only a week to cancel and ask for a refund. We're afraid you can't do that. Such a shame you're three days past the deadline. Not that I was only past the deadline because they didn't respond to their supposed support email that was on the paypal transaction or anything. I know these sorts of businesses live and die hoping people will mess up, because they exist to take money and wish you never remember to cancel a subscription. Like a gym. But one that prays largely on young people who watch youtube. I wasn't even asking for a full refund, i was willing to accept my responsibility in not cancelling things immediately, I was happy for them to keep a monthly amount. It's downright skeevy that after a free trial it jumps immediately to a yearly fee.

Angel

September 15th, 2019 Lynwood, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I absolutely would NOT recommend paying for a subscription to skillshare. I signed up, thinking I would be learning more than what is available on YouTube- but I was COMPLETELY wrong. People are uploading "lessons" that are very low tier, basic... And I mean basic information. I also couldn't find anything that was relevant to what I was looking for. I think it's safe to say yes, skillshare is a scam. It promises learning and education in a widespread of topics, but when it really comes down to it, you aren't learning anything thats not already on youtube. Don't even bother with this site...

Joanm

August 24th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I tried to access my account and was told that I had cancelled it two months after signing up. I did not cancel my membership. The only option they gave me was to sign up and pay again - at 40% off, which turned out to be more than I had originally paid. Customer service slow, and not answering my questions, just telling me to sign up again. At the least I should have had access for the 12 months I paid for.

Steven Lambert

August 20th, 2019 Indianapolis, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Awful company. Don’t subscribe to them. If you’re doing a Free trial don’t forget to cancel your membership.

Navygem

July 8th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for learning. I was offered the free trail for 2 months. BEFORE YOU START YOUR TRIAL you will see it has two payment options and explains that after the trial is over you get automatically charged onto the bank card you provided. Most people are getting charge $99 after the two months because they chose the $8/month and right under that it says $99 annually, meaning you get charged the whole annual cost at one sitting but it is cheaper in the long run. You aren’t getting scammed, you just don’t know how to read. Maybe take some english courses?

Jenny Eric

July 2nd, 2019 Bethania, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Skillshare is the best too to get advanced knowledge and ideas for concerned industry and upgrade existing skills and expertise. I would strongly recommend Skillshare to all my colleagues.

Tamanna Pande

May 9th, 2019 East Rochester, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the content of the tech courses provided by SkillShare. I consider the main benefit is having the course content. I think the content is relevant to our internal demand for up-to-date tech courses.

Jesica Henry

May 7th, 2019 San Marcos, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recommend Skillshare.com to anyone I come into contact with that works in the design field. It is an excellent platform for growth and the knowledge I have gained learning from some of my favorite designers is priceless!

Nila Zoey Carter

May 7th, 2019 Porterville, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Skillshare is a tremendous asset! The content and variety of classes is extraordinary. I wish there was more time a day to explore more!

Amyra James

May 7th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been almost 2 years as a premium member of skillshare. It is a good source for creative learning. There are plenty of courses that matched my interest.

Mila William

May 7th, 2019 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using Skillshare for over a year and I have found it an excellent resource for online art classes. A lot of my favorite designers and illustrators teach there, the variety of subjects is pretty staggering, and you always get feedback on your projects.

Lina Liam

May 7th, 2019 Waterbury, CT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Courses on Skillshare are all top-notch. Instruction is through, to the point, and actionable. Pretty impressive.

Abantica Noah

May 7th, 2019 Columbia, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Skillshare Quality content is amazing & the number of topics the classes cover is almost mind blowing. I couldn’t recommend it enough!

Nena Gomez

May 7th, 2019 Keyes, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If you love learning something great & in a short time, like me :) Skillshare is an amazing platform to learn new skills in short and very effective classes.

Eva Nar

May 7th, 2019 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

All the courses I've done on Skillshare helped me develop my skill set and ultimately, grow my confidence in being creative without being too judgemental of imperfections of the creative process.

Susan

May 5th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've taken a number of classes on Skillshare, primarily in art techniques (gouache, pastel) but also in entrepreneurship. I really like the offerings and the format. Most of the classes are brief and to the point. They're taught by people teaching from their own experience, and that's what's really great for my purposes. For example, I took a couple of classes on how to get into design-related businesses by people who have done just that themselves. They told their own stories and gave concrete, realistic advice. The pastel class was great, all I needed to get going.

Jesica

May 5th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SkillShare is focused on many topics such data analysis, machine Learning, open-source web technologies and artificial intelligence, which are useful in my future job.

Lisa Krause

May 5th, 2019 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

SkillShare gives lots of knowledge to colleague which benefits business. I learned Javascript, JAVA and much more programming technology through SkillShare learning platform.

milk mom

May 4th, 2019 Macomb, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The best thing about SkillShare is that it has wide variety of courses in every field. The courses are really good and explanation by the instructor is makes the hard course seem easy. It also has a good mobile application, which makes the learning more accessible. It also provides really nice feature of assessing ones knowledge for free once you complete your course.

Lucia6

May 4th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used this for Public Relations, Marketing, social media engagement and several other business classes to help me improve my business knowledge and ethics.

Coen

April 28th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

STAY AWAY!!! I have been overcharged so many times, I have deleted my account but they still charge. I really, really regret this service. Also, there were no videos of any importance on this. Seriously, they are terrible, and just copies of each other. A million photography videos, nothing of substance.

Beebel

April 25th, 2019 Adell, WI

These guys are scammer. The website itself is pretty poorly made and the selection of courses is rather poor. Once you enter your credit card info you can not remove it.

Elaine

April 17th, 2019

I joined Skillshare to enhance my painting capabilities and have found the on-line courses very informative and helpful. I have been using various mediums like Gouache, watercolour and acrylic paints and the advice and techniques have given me very useful advice. The tutors are very knowledgeable and their course content is brilliant, the walk through at the beginning of each course on how to use colours from faint to dense colours , plus brush techniques are extremely useful.

Keila Diaz

April 17th, 2019 Opa-locka, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Since I joined Skillshare a couple of months ago I have improved my photography and photo editing skills significantly. As a photographer and small business owner it is important to me to improve my skills at a cost effective option. Skillshare is that cost effective choice. Teachers like Cat C, Tabitha P and Kate A have been essential in my development as a photographer as well as my branding and marketing skills. I would 10/10 recommend Skillshare to anyone who is looking to improve any skill!

Tara Askin

April 17th, 2019 Staten Island, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Skillshare gives me the confidence to try something new without feeling overwhelmed. The classes are enjoyable and easy to follow at your own pace.

Marinika

April 15th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

How you can trust company which doesn't have phone number or customer service contact list? You get trial for free, but you have to authorize your credit card, in my case PayPal for the time after trial period. From this moment, the most interesting happened, you can not cancel your membership and you charged for whole year until next time. My PayPal denied me in dispute of this charge, because of my prior authorization, and Skill Share do not respond to any of my attempt to solve this issue... THIS IS SCAM COMPANY!!!

Fabian Vargas

April 10th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overcharging people after the free trial? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?. and not necessarily a small amount. OVER A HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!!!! Without any disclosure.

Maria

April 5th, 2019 Summerville, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was supposed to get a free trial for two months and the sign-up page even said I would be billed after the two months. It had trouble with my card for some reason even though I kept checking the numbers, so I gave up on it. Only to find out they had actually charged my card for that month. So much for the trial. I immediately requested that they refund me, but still haven't heard back after they said they were reviewing it and I'd hear back in a day or two. It's been over a week now, and I haven't heard back even after I followed up with a reply email asking about it.

Brian

March 26th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Got billed automatically with limited notice Nevertheless named to get in touch via email within a few minutes. They issued refund via my payment method PayPal

SkillshareIsSlow

March 22nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Signed up today. I tried to view the first lesson of a 3 minute lesson. It did not load. I tried another 1 minute introductory lesson, and started writing this review. It's been 5 minutes and the 1 minute video has not loaded. Extremely poor server capacity. I'm writing this review for the company to make improvements, not for consumers.

TooBossy

March 20th, 2019 Franklin, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I received 2 free weeks of Skillshare through a promotion on a YouTube video, and I signed up for a paid subscription before it was up. The volume and variety of classes on Skillshare is amazing and constantly growing. I’m so glad to have a resource this huge, at such an affordable price.

Sarah

February 4th, 2019 Howell, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I find it quite helpful and fun so I don't understand why people dont like it

Melne

January 28th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I went trough ton of reviews, seems that majority had the same issue. Trial ends, they just simply charge. Question - how do you expect people to remember about some payment when we have million other things to remember more important that Skillshare. Besides, content isn't worth anything.

Mariana

January 20th, 2019

I'm also very dissapointed with Skillshare, because they charged me $99 for the premium account after the free trial AND i didn't accept it nor want that type of account. I've sent 3 emails since then AND I'm still waiting for a response. I NEED THE rebound. AND i still am in the 30 days to fix it.

Sonia Graham

December 29th, 2018 The Lakes, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It's very convenient. The free trial period allowed me to get a feel for the platform and quality of the courses. I thought all in all it was a very good investment.