Skillshare

Skillshare Logo

7.7

Skillshare

Learning for Creators and Makers

Founded in 2011, Skillshare is an online learning community that offers over 18,000 classes covering 12 categories from culinary arts to creative writing to entrepreneurship to technology. The company's mission is to be a training provider that gives students affordable online learning while making education convenient, inspirational, and engaging. Enrolled students "learn from doing." In the Skillshare sense, "doing" is creating hands-on projects, which are then posted to the class project gallery. Furthermore, students taking online courses are encouraged to communicate with each other and, through video instruction from the teacher, complete assignments and get feedback from other students on the discussion board.

The Good

• Nontraditional Schooling
  • Free Trial
  • Premium Perks

Nontraditional Schooling

Skillshare is proud to focus on reinventing learning as they strive to break away from the "degree" mold and provide students with an innovating and intriguing training program to learn new skills. The online classes are full of creative online discussions and self-paced learning. Their training courses range from design to business to technology, and for a competitive price, users have unlimited access to hundreds of interactive online courses and communication platforms to share projects and ideas. Each program offers short, on-demand video training from teachers who actually work in the subject field. The online classes are designed to help students complete their work on their own time, helping students progress at their own pace while still continuing to interact with other students and instructors throughout the duration of the class. Most instructional videos range from 45 minutes to an hour, which helps to hold the attention of the students and also provide significant time to complete assignments and projects while still maintaining a regular social schedule.

Free Trial

Skillshare also offers a free 2-month trial for new users that gives you unlimited access to Skillshare's course catalog of over 22,000 classes. If students like the material, they can then access classes anytime by paying $15 monthly or $99 for an annual premium membership. There is no contract so members can cancel their subscription at any time. In short, Skillshare is setting itself apart from the competition in three significant ways:

• Charges a comparatively low monthly fee for unlimited access to the online learning platform
  • Provides offline learning for users on the go
  • Gives a 14-day free trial, also with unlimited access

Premium Perks

When signing up for a premium membership, members will recieve the following perks:

• Unlimited access to over 22,000 classes
  • Ability to download classes within the app to watch later
  • No ads
  • Support Teachers
  • Scholarships
  • Get discounts on services and benefits*

*Annual premium membership only

The Bad

• Traditional Education Seekers
  • Unclear Course Access
  • Limited Customer Service

Traditional Education Seekers

For learners who are looking to have one-on-one contact with an instructor or teacher, who are wishing to be tested and quizzed on a regular basis, or who are hoping for a "typical classroom structure" Skillshare is not the appropriate option. This company also doesn't offer any proof of completing a course to be used in the workforce. Teachers and courses aim to help others learn new skills in their respective fields with an online learning community, not provide certification. Furthermore, contacting the company itself can be a bit frustrating as they only communicate via email. Lastly, not all instructors are certified teaching professionals. Class videos can be taught by nearly anyone (this is not to discount the level of learning possible) and are not generated through Skillshare's internal company. This makes an traditional, instructor-led training even less likely.

Unclear Course Access

Skillshare offers those who are hesitant to sign up access to watch the beginning clip on thousands of their free classes. This gives potential members a feel for how the classes on Skillshare work. To unlock the rest of the course, Skillshare requires either a free or premium membership. However, if members only have the free membership, venturing beyond the free classes page can be frustrating since most of the classes require the premium membership to access the entire course. There is also no way to see which classes are a part of the premium membership. So members won’t know if they have access to the entire class until they click on it.

Limited Customer Service

If members have any questions or concerns the only available option is to fill out a "Submit a Request Form" on the Skillshare website. The form does not specifically give a time frame in which inquiries will be answered, so members will just have to wait until they receive a reply from a customer service representative.

The Bottom Line

For individuals searching for an online learning platform with affordable costs, endless class options, and independent, hands-on activities, Skillshare is a training provider that they should definitely look into. Customer reviews appreciate Skillshare's usability, the hundreds of offered classes, and the quality of the short instructional videos. For many students, it seems to be the perfect training center. Furthermore, Skillshare offers packages for companies or teams hoping to include a large group of individuals in an instructional class. However, potential members should consider and weigh the company's flaws to its strengths. The programs do not have direct instructor-led training, meaning students and instructors do not interact directly. Skillshare also does not offer any form of certification completion and they are not AICC or SCORM compliant, and many of the classes are locked unless you purchase the premium membership. Nonetheless, Skillshare is a great online training site for those who are interested in a nontraditional way to gain experience in many different fields, expand their networking community, discover new opportunities and learn valuable soft and technical skills.

1.4

Jesus Gan
July 16th, 2018 Watervliet, NY DETAILS

They will charge before the trial ends and not answer to emails.

Logan Boyd
July 13th, 2018 Evansville, IN DETAILS

Classes: The classes that they offer are very much so varied. You will find some teachers that do an excellent job and obviously care about the videos that they put out, and then others who you feel like just are trying to join in on the online classroom and trying to make some passive income. But you can watch any class for the first 15-20 minutes and tell if the person knows what they are saying or not. Price: I signed up for a 2month free trial, and when you put in your information right next to the confirmation button you can choose if you want to be billed monthly or yearly after your trial period ends (it also states that you will be billed a few days before your trial period ends to ensure funds will be transferred in time for your trial to end), a lot of people that say that they are getting charged unfairly are not really reading into it or looking at the obvious button dropdown menu that says yearly after trial and I just changed it to the monthly fee instead. Also, for a years worth of membership its less than $100, which is a very good value to me, heck, I went and got my BS Degree for Graphic Design at a community college (one of the cheapest in my state too) and ONE credit hour was $150 for only one semester, so to get an entire years worth of really nice content (although there are some bad teachers too, you will just have to see) you can have lots of quality videos to watch to improve your skills and see what others are doing as well. Overall: It is a good platform, and is very cheap for online classes, and I would say 80% of the classes are much better than what you can find on youtube, and then the other 20% you can totally tell they are just "forcing" videos out to try to make an extra dime, which I avoid those teachers now that I learned about it. Never had to talk to customer support yet so can't comment on that myself.

Lance Cornish
July 6th, 2018 Marietta, GA DETAILS

I really like SkillShare. I believe the course material and the trainers are very good. I have quite a few of the training courses and have been impressed. I am currently in the middle of two others that I have found particularly valuable. I would like to to see some improvements to the UI, navigation and content discovery, but overall it's a great site and service.

melissa barrass
July 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

I think Skillshare is broad and inspiring. I love how I can touch up on my guitar skills and then learn something completely new on creative programs. I have finished 90% of classes feeling extremely satisfied.

Marika Mkheidze
June 28th, 2018 DETAILS

Long story short: I signed up to the premium package of the skillshare and I forgot to cancel it by the time the trial period expired. Why is that? alongside with the fact that most of us is busy to keep track of all the websites we tend to sign up to, I found the classes quite dissatisfying and soon forgot about them at all. However, I was gullible enough not to check the refund policy offered by the site - they offer no refund. My suggestion is as follows: unless you change said policy, please, be considerate enough to send out emails after the expiration of subscriber's trial period to make sure that they are willing to continue learning through your sources. Otherwise, you may come across as yet another money-hungry corporation, rather than friendly, educational community. Please, don't get me wrong - it's not (only) about the money, it's about trust and respect of the business you choose to cooperate with/learn from.

Konstantinos Gkovedaros
June 15th, 2018 Millston, WI DETAILS

Skillshare just charged me for an annual subscription three days before my trial ended. The fun part is that they sent an email saying that my annual (that's right, annual not three months or anything) subscription would start on Wednesday the 13th of June. Fun fact though: the email was sent on the late hours of June 14th. Does anyone have any idea on how can one fight this in a legal way?

Bonnie
June 15th, 2018 DETAILS

I signed up for a trial with my work email, then changed jobs and therefore no longer had access to that email address. I have contacted Skillshare’s customer service to resolve the issue, and no one has gotten back to me. I did however receive an automated email asking how their service was. Ha! What service?! Still no word. Anyone who writes a positive comment is benefiting financially in some way, and is attempting to protect their nest egg. Do not use Skillshare! Load of bollocks!

bridgit
June 15th, 2018 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS

I've been a skillshare user for two years now and it's been really useful for me. I'm a freelance designer, and it allowed me to learn alot of specific skills i didn't learn in school in for a very fair price. each month there are new exciting things to learn. it is a subscription business, so you have to be aware of that if you start a trial, but i use several subscription services so this doesn't bother me.

Ciaran Lyne
June 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Be warned! Many reviews on this site for Skillshare contain the words "I forgot" when talking about the free trial. The fact that they forgot to cancel the trial even though it is very clearly stated that it will auto renew unless cancelled on the signup page. It's a shame really as the review scores are dragged down by this as, while not flawless, Skillshare and the majority of its courses are great. Just remember to take some of these reviews with a pinch of salt and the free trial is very much worth your time if you remember to cancel it (or let the payment go through if you enjoyed the courses as I have!).

Eric
June 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Tricks the customer into paying for a subscription. There is no variety in the available content and the price it outrageous. DO NOT USE SKILLSHARE

Jozef NoR
June 4th, 2018

It is band of thieves! I forget for subscription and they charged me $96! I cant even erase my credit card from their site! If they won't give me my money back I will make chargeback and than lawsuit.

Cole
May 31st, 2018 Menomonie, WI DETAILS

Horrible and predatory site. They will stealth-charge you for a 100$ 1 year subscription if you used a free trial. Do not work with them, this site is a money-scam with terrible "courses" anyways. I wish I could give them a zero-star review.

Adam
May 15th, 2018

I signed up for a trial and forgot about it. A dozen times I meant to check out the site and cancel if it wasn't for me. Suddenly I get a charge, I email them to let them know I didn't and wouldn't be using the service, could they please reverse the charge. Was told no, that they advise customers when they sign up. Yes, I should have put a date on my calendar. No, I don't think I should have to pay for a service I won't use. I've asked to escalate my emails to someone with the authority to fix this, next will be a call to my credit card company.

Lana D
March 19th, 2018 Clifton, NJ DETAILS

I really wanted to make it work, but didn't have time because of sudden work load, so I hope to come back to it later. However, I forgot that they would automatically charge my card when trial ends, and as soon as they did I contacted them to please please forgive me this time and let me sign up to it when I actually have time to use the service. They refused after I asked twice nicely. Unfortunately this is an example of a company who traps you if you forget about your subscriptions, I guess it's legal but not a nice practice so I will not support this business.

Gregory
February 28th, 2018 Henderson, NV

Skillshare charged me during my trial and my subscription wasn’t over for another 2 months . And i already Summit a report to the support but was only refunded $0.99 instead of $99.00 which is what i was charged. I’m really disappointed that i chosen to try a trail with skillshare and i was planning on paying for more future subscription but after these early false transactions i won’t be considering it again

Sally Perkins
February 5th, 2018 Lyle, WA DETAILS

Money scam. Barely have any classes that interest me, and I am unable to remove my credit card info from my account to prevent them from renewing my subscription next year - only way I can't seemingly remove it is to cancel the subscription I have already payed 100 dollars for. The 'x' they have by my credit card info to remove it is total bs - I ended up having to just change the expiration date I had on file for my card so they are unable to use it. Not worth the hassle. Just use Youtube or your local public library - it's free, and wont screw you over.

Nevin Cole
January 8th, 2018 Saint Augustine, FL DETAILS

Gonna be honest, I can't say much about the quality of the stuff they offer, because I never even got that far. I got a free trial via a link from a youtuber and I even found a class I would have been interested in, so the trial would have been perfect. But here comes the tricky part - before you can even start to use your "free trial" they want your credit card information, which kind of alarmed me. But I thought "Oh well, I can always cancel before the time runs out", since I really only had 1 class I was interested in. BUT since I use a so-called "prepaid credit card", they don't even let me sign up. In hindsight that probably saved me some cash (knowing that now after reading the other reviews), but it still stinks that something trivial as which type of credit card one has decides if someone gets access or not. I turned my back to skillshare and probably won't ever look back

RGray
December 18th, 2017 Walnut, CA DETAILS

Can't unsubscribe. They say my password is incorrect. Will not send a reset link to email as requested. Pure scammers. Do not deal with these ripoffs.

Rebecca Lynch
December 8th, 2017 Mohegan Lake, NY DETAILS

I made sure to delete my premium account a week before billing started and guess what? they charged my card anyway! Filed a claim with my CC company and banned them from charging my card again. Classes are BS, ended up being info I can find for free online or already know.

zack hill
November 1st, 2017 Corbin, KY DETAILS

Difficult to unsubscribe, constantly trying to trap you into forgetting you have membership by saying things like, "don't unsubscribe, we'll give you three months free to keep subscribed for now". Doesn't reply to facebook messages unless it's for sales. Some classes are 'ok' but mostly random B.S. *Just use YouTube!*

Shaquala Williams
October 26th, 2017 Maple Valley, WA DETAILS

Terrible billing practices! Never use this company.

Sarah
October 18th, 2017

I signed up for Skillshare as a free trial. The day BEFORE my trial was supposed to end I received an email from them thanking me for subscribing to Premium. Naturally, I was confused. It's normal for companies to offer free trials in hopes that you like the product enough to actually pay for it. What isn't normal is for the company to LIE to you and charge you the day before the free trial is supposed to even end, in effect tricking you and then stealing your money. I was furious. I looked online and after 30 minutes of digging I found a phone number for the company. (Red flag, what legitimate company does not have an easily accessible customer service number?). I called this number and it went directly to voicemail. The voice on the voicemail sounded like some stoned college kid, complete with "ums" and "likes". (Red flag number 2). At this point I was freaking out because I had just gotten scammed. The only option left to me was to write them an email through their website. This was over 3 months ago, and I have yet to get a response. I am appalled that they handle business this way. They stole my money without warning and are now unreachable. I went back on their website and even their advertisement for Premium is a lie. It clearly states that your Premium account is cancelable at anytime. What they actually mean is you can cancel it so that it won't renew at the next billing cycle (which is an entire year!!). They are crooks. If their content were any good, I would have happily continued using their services, but all their videos are things I can find on YouTube or other places for free. The only thing I an do now is save other people the hassle. DO NOT sign up for the free trial. Go to Lynda.com or YouTube. Please, don't make the same mistake I did, and stay away!! ***Update**** I wrote to Skillshare one last time, and it seems like in the past 4 months they have really upped their customer service game. I received a same-day response apologizing for my previous experience and with an offer to refund me all my money. This gesture was more than I expected, and I am grateful to know that people do actually work at this company, and it seems they are listening to the negative reviews and trying to create a better company. I still have a sour taste in my mouth, but I feel like after they ended up giving me all my money back I should update my review and give them more than one star.

Evelyn Olson
October 17th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Skillshare responded to my email request within hours with a positive resolution. Great customer service!

saki
September 18th, 2017

So i just realized that skillshare does not remind you when the trial is about to end, so I've payed almost 100 dollars for this. Looked up if I could get a refund, and apparently 'they don't do refunds.' Figuring I might as well use it anyways since I've already paid and cant do anything to get it back, I decided I'll just cancel and I'll still be able to use it for the rest of the /payed/ year, only to find out that there's a setback to this in access to videos??? Very convinced that skillshare only profits from forgetful people and keeps them in by giving them less access if you cancel, only for the same people to forget to cancel a few days before the next billing date again. What a cycle, it's almost funny now realizing it... Bottom line, please know what you're getting into. If you're forgetful and only doing it for the trial, don't do it. Bad idea :(

Emaad
August 15th, 2017 Eatontown, NJ

First off, Skillshare provides a good service, but i did not find it particularly useful so after a few months of the trial, i cancelled my membership, but was still charged $96 Reading most of the reviews, and how people changed their credit cards after this ,etc had me very worried. I sent Skillshare a request for refund,and Skillshare was good enough to respond in 24 hours, and provide a full refund! So they may have upped their customer support game. Good on them. Be careful with the site though, cancelling memberships seem to be a recurring problem.

Donald Macdonald
August 3rd, 2017

The subjects of interest I took part in involved content creators having a strong accent that makes it hard to understand or mumbles of volume. The website is laid out in a way that you are not going to find the cancellation of service easily or at all and many "are you sure"'s. The subscription after trial was charged as a yearly by default and difficult to find where to change this as cancellation. I'm sorry to say but whatever you are looking for here, there is a better option elsewhere.

Jake Smiles
July 28th, 2017

I have a very similar experience to many other people writing before me. After the free trial expired, they, without any notification, just started to take my money every month. I've never received any bills or any reminder that my next month's fee is dued. I haven't even been using their site after the first few weeks. I noticed the stealing after months, by total accident. When I contacted them, nobody even bothered to answer. I got an automated message saying that they are sorry to see me going, but my account still looks exactly the same. So I had to get my bank card distroyed and had to apply for a new one because I was worried that they would not stop taking my money. (Of course, my bank also should have double checked with me about authorization, which they didn't.) I would not recommend this site. The content is not worth the hassle. There's a lot of other online studying option out there.

Adriana J
May 1st, 2017 Sacramento, CA

I definitely prefer Udemy, but even with their biggest sale, you get 1 class for the price of a month on Skillshare. I primarily got Skillshare because I'm learning about web design and online business things. There's a deal breaker for me, however. Nowhere do they have a date on when a course was uploaded or last updated. When you're learning about technology, courses can quickly become outdated if not regularly maintained. It is a huge waste of time and cause for confusion. I've taken classes only to find out after getting the software, that it's no longer applicable. The software or website for which I learned about has since been majority updated several times over. That, or I've gotten a ways into the course, only to find out it's no loner applicable...due to it being so outdated. I thought maybe I could figure out the age of the course by looking at the dates when people left comments. Nope, no dates there, either. I thought perhaps I could figure out about how long the instructor has been on Skillshare by the bio. Nope. Again no dates anywhere! I wanted to give this feedback, but I commend the other reviewers on here. I can't find a way to contract them at all! Overall, many of the instructors on Udemy seem to be more professional or have more experience. Many of the classes on Udemy are higher quality. Their teacher payout doesn't seem very lucrative, so perhaps that's why we get what we get. One other deal breaker - their app is terrible! They semi recently changed to where you don't have to enroll anymore. Yet on the Android app, I can't "unlock" aka "enroll" any classes until I make so much progress on the website. Before this, they still had the enroll button on the app, even awhile after removing the requirement. Yet whenever I tried to press the enroll button, I got an error and couldn't enroll. It was only from reading comments in the Google Play store that I found out I had to watch the course for an undisclosed amount of time on the website before the app would recognize I was "enrolled." This continues, even though Skillshare no longer requires premium users to enroll. I rated a 3 to support the instructors who put in the time and effort to try and make a few bucks sharing their skills. There's competition out there that continues to grow and the existing learning companies continue stepping up their game. I'm surprised to learn that Skillshare is over 3 years old. They need to step up their game or get left behind. It's a matter of time before a company comes along that competes with Udemy, yet offers a reasonable monthly subscription.

John Garay
April 28th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

IMHO: Deceptive business practice. No reminders of at end of free trial. Instead, they hit you with non-refundable ANNUAL (Not monthly!) subscription fee of about $100. Even if you contact them immediately, they don't believe enough in their product. and will refuse refund Avoid. Do business with better companies. (My daughter tried and quickly lost interest)

willworkforfro
April 24th, 2017

Being a member of this site means being charged indiscriminately for services not requested. Do not suscribe. There is ZERO customer support. The material is parse. Now they've made a $100 off me and I will respond by giving them the review they deserve on all platforms available. They are a bad business.

Penny Chattey
March 13th, 2017

Annual subscription was taken after I cancelled my trial membership, 9 days before the trial ended. Emails were ignored. No refund as yet. Taking this money from my account will incur charges for me.

Kit Magick
February 27th, 2017

Don't ever subscribe to them, this is basically a scam! I decided to try out the 0.99 dollars for 3 months trial and used it for under a week. Most classes were really short and not so well done (especially for the 96 dollars a year that they want to charge you). Also a lot of repetition in those classes. So one month in I cancelled my subscription. I made sure it was cancelled and checked my profile also, which said that I'm not subscribed. So now, 2 months later, BAM, I lost 96 dollars. They basically stole it. I unsubscribed and they still took it two months later when I don't even use the site, it's completely outrageous! Also, they took the money as soon as possible from the "reserved" section of my card and now I believe I won't get the money back, even though I CANCELLED. Also, you are not able to delete your card from the site if you have a working subsciption time left even when you cancelled. And they don't have a phone number on their site. The first thing you see when you try to contact them is the answer that they "don't do refunds". They haven't answered my mail. Basically, now I have to get a new card in case they charge me again and pray that I somehow get my money back (which I probably won't). Please save your time and money and never visit this awful robbing site.

Clara
January 4th, 2017

They Charged you without your permission,[96us] they are stealing. Can't believe it. this is the way they support their business? isn't the classes good enough to not steal from the costumers?

Edward
January 23rd, 2017

As I can see it is a little bit hard for Skillshare to communicate with their own users but I really like the idea of non-tradional learning.

Thomas Chan
October 18th, 2016

Entice me to create culinary video teacher challenge for USD200 but at the end get nothing, they have sorts of excuse to not letting u get the money. Waste of time, effort and money.

Sarah
October 10th, 2016

Same scam as everyone else, never recieved an email that my time was up or if I wanted to continue. Got sucked in with the 99 cents and got charged for 96$. Why it chooses to automatically charge annually is the scam part. It could easily charge for a month and then I could have made up my mind or better yet they could have emailed to let me know that my time was up. The craziest part is that I actually never even used the site once. Just signed up one day hoping to find some interesting stuff but the site wasn't even that good. There are much better online learning sites out there. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE SCAMMERS!

Abhiranjan Shukla
July 22nd, 2016

Takes your card and then after six months! Kabbooooom! They are fraud Best, Abhiranjan ****

Kevin Cooper
July 5th, 2016 New York, NY

Felt the upfront curation gave applicable classes and free trial made it easy to get started.

Ivy
June 13th, 2016 Flushing, NY

They don't remind you of the charge after 3 months. They just charges you. And the customer service is pretty bad.

Kara
May 12th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

The service is definitely not work the monthly fee.