Skillshare

6.0

Founded in 2011, Skillshare is an online learning community offering over 100 classes and covering 12 categories from culinary arts and creative writing to entrepreneurship and technology.  The company's mission is to provide students with affordable online learning while making education convenient, inspirational and engaging. Enrolled students "learn from doing." In the Skillshare sense, "doing" is creating hands-on projects, which are then posted to the class' project gallery. Furthermore, students are encouraged to communicate with each other and, through video instruction from the teacher, complete assignments and get feedback from other students on the discussion board.

The Good

• Unlimited access
  • Free trial

Skillshare is proud to be focusing on the reinvention of learning. They are striving to break away from the "degree" mold and provide students with innovating and intriguing classes, creative online discussions and encouraged self-paced learning. For a competitive price, users have unlimited access to hundreds of interactive classes and communication platforms to share projects and ideas. Furthermore, students can progress at their own pace and continue to interact with other students and instructors throughout the duration of the class. Most instructional videos range from 45 minutes to an hour, which helps to hold the attention of the students and also provide significant time to complete assignments and projects while still maintaining a regular social schedule.

Skillshare also offers a free 14-day trial that gives users unlimited access to Skillshare's course catalog. And users don't need to rely on a desktop computer to use Skillshare - they can upload courses to their smartphones as well. In short, Skillshare is setting itself apart from the competition in three major ways:

1. Charges a comparatively low monthly fee for unlimited access to its services
  2. Provides offline learning for users on the go
  3. Gives a 14-day free trial, also with unlimited access

The Bad

• Limitations

For learners who looking to have one-on-one contact with an instructor or teacher, who are wishing to be tested and quizzed on a regular basis, or who are hoping for a "typical classroom structure" Skillshare is not the appropriate option. This company also doesn't offer any proof of completing a course to be used in the Furthermore, contacting the company itself can be a bit frustrating as they only communicate via email. Lastly, not all instructors are certified teaching professionals. Class videos can be taught by nearly anyone (this is not to discount the level of learning possible) and are not generated through Skillshare's internal company.

The Bottom Line

For individuals searching for an online training site with affordable costs, endless class options and independent, hands-on activities, they should look no further than Skillshare. Though the site lacks direct teacher-student contact, completion certificates and is not AICC or SCORM compliant, customer reviews rave about the usability, the hundreds of offered classes and the quality of the short instructional videos. Furthermore, Skillshare offers packages for companies or teams hoping to include a large group of individuals through an instructional class.

1.1

Rebecca Lynch

December 7th, 2017 Mohegan Lake, NY DETAILS

I made sure to delete my premium account a week before billing started and guess what? they charged my card anyway! Filed a claim with my CC company and banned them from charging my card again. Classes are BS, ended up being info I can find for free online or already know.

zack hill

October 31st, 2017 Corbin, KY DETAILS

Difficult to unsubscribe, constantly trying to trap you into forgetting you have membership by saying things like, "don't unsubscribe, we'll give you three months free to keep subscribed for now". Doesn't reply to facebook messages unless it's for sales. Some classes are 'ok' but mostly random B.S. *Just use YouTube!*

Shaquala Williams

October 26th, 2017 Maple Valley, WA DETAILS

Terrible billing practices! Never use this company.

Sarah

October 17th, 2017

I signed up for Skillshare as a free trial. The day BEFORE my trial was supposed to end I received an email from them thanking me for subscribing to Premium. Naturally, I was confused. It's normal for companies to offer free trials in hopes that you like the product enough to actually pay for it. What isn't normal is for the company to LIE to you and charge you the day before the free trial is supposed to even end, in effect tricking you and then stealing your money. I was furious. I looked online and after 30 minutes of digging I found a phone number for the company. (Red flag, what legitimate company does not have an easily accessible customer service number?). I called this number and it went directly to voicemail. The voice on the voicemail sounded like some stoned college kid, complete with "ums" and "likes". (Red flag number 2). At this point I was freaking out because I had just gotten scammed. The only option left to me was to write them an email through their website. This was over 3 months ago, and I have yet to get a response. I am appalled that they handle business this way. They stole my money without warning and are now unreachable. I went back on their website and even their advertisement for Premium is a lie. It clearly states that your Premium account is cancelable at anytime. What they actually mean is you can cancel it so that it won't renew at the next billing cycle (which is an entire year!!). They are crooks. If their content were any good, I would have happily continued using their services, but all their videos are things I can find on YouTube or other places for free. The only thing I an do now is save other people the hassle. DO NOT sign up for the free trial. Go to Lynda.com or YouTube. Please, don't make the same mistake I did, and stay away!! ***Update**** I wrote to Skillshare one last time, and it seems like in the past 4 months they have really upped their customer service game. I received a same-day response apologizing for my previous experience and with an offer to refund me all my money. This gesture was more than I expected, and I am grateful to know that people do actually work at this company, and it seems they are listening to the negative reviews and trying to create a better company. I still have a sour taste in my mouth, but I feel like after they ended up giving me all my money back I should update my review and give them more than one star.

Evelyn Olson

October 17th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

Skillshare responded to my email request within hours with a positive resolution. Great customer service!

saki

September 17th, 2017

So i just realized that skillshare does not remind you when the trial is about to end, so I've payed almost 100 dollars for this. Looked up if I could get a refund, and apparently 'they don't do refunds.' Figuring I might as well use it anyways since I've already paid and cant do anything to get it back, I decided I'll just cancel and I'll still be able to use it for the rest of the /payed/ year, only to find out that there's a setback to this in access to videos??? Very convinced that skillshare only profits from forgetful people and keeps them in by giving them less access if you cancel, only for the same people to forget to cancel a few days before the next billing date again. What a cycle, it's almost funny now realizing it... Bottom line, please know what you're getting into. If you're forgetful and only doing it for the trial, don't do it. Bad idea :(

Emaad

August 15th, 2017 Eatontown, NJ

First off, Skillshare provides a good service, but i did not find it particularly useful so after a few months of the trial, i cancelled my membership, but was still charged $96 Reading most of the reviews, and how people changed their credit cards after this ,etc had me very worried. I sent Skillshare a request for refund,and Skillshare was good enough to respond in 24 hours, and provide a full refund! So they may have upped their customer support game. Good on them. Be careful with the site though, cancelling memberships seem to be a recurring problem.

Donald Macdonald

August 3rd, 2017

The subjects of interest I took part in involved content creators having a strong accent that makes it hard to understand or mumbles of volume. The website is laid out in a way that you are not going to find the cancellation of service easily or at all and many "are you sure"'s. The subscription after trial was charged as a yearly by default and difficult to find where to change this as cancellation. I'm sorry to say but whatever you are looking for here, there is a better option elsewhere.

Jake Smiles

July 28th, 2017

I have a very similar experience to many other people writing before me. After the free trial expired, they, without any notification, just started to take my money every month. I've never received any bills or any reminder that my next month's fee is dued. I haven't even been using their site after the first few weeks. I noticed the stealing after months, by total accident. When I contacted them, nobody even bothered to answer. I got an automated message saying that they are sorry to see me going, but my account still looks exactly the same. So I had to get my bank card distroyed and had to apply for a new one because I was worried that they would not stop taking my money. (Of course, my bank also should have double checked with me about authorization, which they didn't.) I would not recommend this site. The content is not worth the hassle. There's a lot of other online studying option out there.

Adriana J

May 1st, 2017 Sacramento, CA

I definitely prefer Udemy, but even with their biggest sale, you get 1 class for the price of a month on Skillshare. I primarily got Skillshare because I'm learning about web design and online business things. There's a deal breaker for me, however. Nowhere do they have a date on when a course was uploaded or last updated. When you're learning about technology, courses can quickly become outdated if not regularly maintained. It is a huge waste of time and cause for confusion. I've taken classes only to find out after getting the software, that it's no longer applicable. The software or website for which I learned about has since been majority updated several times over. That, or I've gotten a ways into the course, only to find out it's no loner applicable...due to it being so outdated. I thought maybe I could figure out the age of the course by looking at the dates when people left comments. Nope, no dates there, either. I thought perhaps I could figure out about how long the instructor has been on Skillshare by the bio. Nope. Again no dates anywhere! I wanted to give this feedback, but I commend the other reviewers on here. I can't find a way to contract them at all! Overall, many of the instructors on Udemy seem to be more professional or have more experience. Many of the classes on Udemy are higher quality. Their teacher payout doesn't seem very lucrative, so perhaps that's why we get what we get. One other deal breaker - their app is terrible! They semi recently changed to where you don't have to enroll anymore. Yet on the Android app, I can't "unlock" aka "enroll" any classes until I make so much progress on the website. Before this, they still had the enroll button on the app, even awhile after removing the requirement. Yet whenever I tried to press the enroll button, I got an error and couldn't enroll. It was only from reading comments in the Google Play store that I found out I had to watch the course for an undisclosed amount of time on the website before the app would recognize I was "enrolled." This continues, even though Skillshare no longer requires premium users to enroll. I rated a 3 to support the instructors who put in the time and effort to try and make a few bucks sharing their skills. There's competition out there that continues to grow and the existing learning companies continue stepping up their game. I'm surprised to learn that Skillshare is over 3 years old. They need to step up their game or get left behind. It's a matter of time before a company comes along that competes with Udemy, yet offers a reasonable monthly subscription.

John Garay

April 28th, 2017 Phoenix, AZ

IMHO: Deceptive business practice. No reminders of at end of free trial. Instead, they hit you with non-refundable ANNUAL (Not monthly!) subscription fee of about $100. Even if you contact them immediately, they don't believe enough in their product. and will refuse refund Avoid. Do business with better companies. (My daughter tried and quickly lost interest)

willworkforfro

April 24th, 2017

Being a member of this site means being charged indiscriminately for services not requested. Do not suscribe. There is ZERO customer support. The material is parse. Now they've made a $100 off me and I will respond by giving them the review they deserve on all platforms available. They are a bad business.

Penny Chattey

March 10th, 2017

Annual subscription was taken after I cancelled my trial membership, 9 days before the trial ended. Emails were ignored. No refund as yet. Taking this money from my account will incur charges for me.

Kit Magick

February 27th, 2017

Don't ever subscribe to them, this is basically a scam! I decided to try out the 0.99 dollars for 3 months trial and used it for under a week. Most classes were really short and not so well done (especially for the 96 dollars a year that they want to charge you). Also a lot of repetition in those classes. So one month in I cancelled my subscription. I made sure it was cancelled and checked my profile also, which said that I'm not subscribed. So now, 2 months later, BAM, I lost 96 dollars. They basically stole it. I unsubscribed and they still took it two months later when I don't even use the site, it's completely outrageous! Also, they took the money as soon as possible from the "reserved" section of my card and now I believe I won't get the money back, even though I CANCELLED. Also, you are not able to delete your card from the site if you have a working subsciption time left even when you cancelled. And they don't have a phone number on their site. The first thing you see when you try to contact them is the answer that they "don't do refunds". They haven't answered my mail. Basically, now I have to get a new card in case they charge me again and pray that I somehow get my money back (which I probably won't). Please save your time and money and never visit this awful robbing site.

Clara

January 3rd, 2017

They Charged you without your permission,[96us] they are stealing. Can't believe it. this is the way they support their business? isn't the classes good enough to not steal from the costumers?

Edward

December 12th, 2016

As I can see it is a little bit hard for Skillshare to communicate with their own users but I really like the idea of non-tradional learning.

Thomas Chan

October 18th, 2016

Entice me to create culinary video teacher challenge for USD200 but at the end get nothing, they have sorts of excuse to not letting u get the money. Waste of time, effort and money.

Sarah

October 10th, 2016

Same scam as everyone else, never recieved an email that my time was up or if I wanted to continue. Got sucked in with the 99 cents and got charged for 96$. Why it chooses to automatically charge annually is the scam part. It could easily charge for a month and then I could have made up my mind or better yet they could have emailed to let me know that my time was up. The craziest part is that I actually never even used the site once. Just signed up one day hoping to find some interesting stuff but the site wasn't even that good. There are much better online learning sites out there. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THE SCAMMERS!

Abhiranjan Shukla

July 22nd, 2016

Takes your card and then after six months! Kabbooooom! They are fraud Best, Abhiranjan ****

Kevin Cooper

July 3rd, 2016 New York, NY

Felt the upfront curation gave applicable classes and free trial made it easy to get started.

Ivy

June 12th, 2016 Flushing, NY

They don't remind you of the charge after 3 months. They just charges you. And the customer service is pretty bad.

Kara

May 8th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

The service is definitely not work the monthly fee.

Joseph Horseradish Hren

April 20th, 2016 San Francisco, CA

The breadth of classes available is staggering. I'm impressed with just how far down I can drill into certain specialties. Well worth the monthly fee. I'm learning new skills in software animation, music recording, storyboarding, anthropology, and cooking, and I'm just getting started on my second month.

Elizabeth

April 11th, 2016 Henderson, NV

Buyer beware. I signed up for the 3 month for $0.99/month promo, and figured I would pay for a few extra month to get a few more classes in. No, do not do that!!! This company will bill you for the entire year all at once. When you try to cancel they tell you they can't cancel you once they have charge your credit card. They agreed to give me back my money, but when I checked, they did not give me a full refund. Scam!!!

Jabari Weathers

April 5th, 2016 Baltimore, MD

I hardly touched my account during the 99 cent, three month trial. That is beside the point, and outside of my immediate concern. My problem is that I had a charge posted to my account two days in advance of when i was supposed to actually to actually be billed, and canceled in time to take advantage of not being charged for an annual fee. This was to no avail, and my account has now been driven into overdraft because of the issue. Skillshare itself has been conspicuously slow in addressing the matter, and out of a handful of emails sent to them asking them to rectify the issue, they've only responded with one prompt for my previous info to figure out the problem because they 'cant seem to find a live account under my name' (given that I cancelled, I would hope so). The above is especially odd given that the second email i sent was through their customer service form and included screenshots of their foul play and any information they would and should need to track it down. I'm honestly infuriated at the conduct of Skillshare, as this has put me in a position that I quite literally cannot afford.

Michelle

February 29th, 2016 Los Angeles, CA

You can cancel but they will charge you regardless. Charged me for an entire year. Not worth it. I rather use Udemy and pay by class.

Austin King

January 6th, 2016

Charges you without telling you when they are going to charge you. Horrible customer service.

E

December 12th, 2015 Olympia, WA

Great teachers and lessons. Worst customer service ever.