Wells Fargo Logo

5.9

LAST UPDATED: September 17th, 2021

In addition to traditional banking and loan services, Wells Fargo finances home buying and home building nationwide through its mortgage lending division.

Wells Fargo offers several financing options for home buyers as well as existing mortgage refinancing services and home equity financing for homeowners. When you apply for a mortgage loan you can track your application as well as current interest rates online as you wait for approval. Once you're approved, you can easily manage your account online upon setting up a Wells Fargo account.

Wells Fargo mortgage reviews give the company 3.5/5 star ratings for trust, customer service, and value.

Review Icon

Customer Review: Brian Elligson from Winchester, Kentucky

"I've always had a good experience with Wells Fargo. They do the standard practice of buying and selling mortgages which can be a little confusing at times, but overall the process is user friendly. I've always had great chats with customer service and never found it difficult to get ahold of someone to talk to."

Continue reading for a full review of this mortgage company, as well as Wells Fargo mortgage reviews from real customers.

The Good

Several Loan Options

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of loan options:

• Fixed Rate Mortgage Loan
  • Adjustable Rate Mortgage (ARM)
  • FHA Loan
  • VA Loan
  • USDA Loan
  • Jumbo Loan (fixed and ARM)

In addition, the company offers refinancing and funding to pay for repairs and renovations.

New Construction Loans

Wells Fargo provides financing for new home constructions, an option not offered by all lenders in the industry. When you finance your home building project through Wells Fargo, you work with a mortgage consultant and builder home financing team that specialize in new construction loans.

Additionally, the company's Builder Best Extended Rate Lock program locks down an interest rate range for up to 24 months on a number of loans, protecting you with a grace period during the construction process (for a fee) should rates suddenly increase.

Mortgage Refinancing

In addition to mortgage financing services, Wells Fargo provides mortgage refinancing and even offers a cash out refinance option. It is important to note that cash out refinancing may not be the best option for everyone, but it can open up funds for other purposes as the borrower gets a new mortgage with a higher loan amount, allowing them to access their home equity.

If you are interested in refinancing your mortgage, speak with a Wells Fargo consultant to see which options might be the best for you.

Home Equity Financing

Wells Fargo offers home equity loan financing, which can offer payment flexibility if paired with a fixed-rate or adjustable-rate mortgage. A home equity line of credit also has potential tax benefits: in some cases you can deduct the interest used to improve, buy, or build a home with home equity financing.

Low Down Payment Requirement

Borrowers have low down payment options with Wells Fargo. You can get a conventional fixed-rate mortgage with a down payment as low as 3 percent, much lower than the standard 20 percent down payment that is common in the industry. Be aware that with a low down payment, you'll need to purchase mortgage insurance, which increases the loan cost and monthly payment. And, as always, eligibility is dependent upon loan amount, loan type, and property type.

Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans have low down payment options, too, with rates as low as 3.5 percent and you can often use a gift or grant for the down payment and closing costs. This, too, requires purchasing mortgage insurance.

Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) loans offer low- and no-down payment options for eligible service members and veterans. And, unlike conventional and FHA loan low down payment requirements, you don't have to worry about mortgage insurance.

Competitive Mortgage Rates

Mortgage rates are constantly fluctuating based on the condition of the housing market. Wells Fargo mortgage rates will ebb and flow with the market as well, but its rates are known to be competitively low. Those with a great credit score should be able to secure a low interest and APR rate for a conventional home loan at Wells Fargo.

Wells Fargo offers an online mortgage calculator which will be able to give you a first hand look of what your potential Wells Fargo mortgage rate would like if you decided to do business with them.

Online Convenience

While Wells Fargo has thousands of brick and mortar locations throughout the country, the home loan application can be completed in full online.

Wells Fargo makes it easy to apply for, access, and manage loan information and other account details from a computer, tablet, or smartphone with its online account system and mobile app. The mobile app is compatible with iOS and Android devices.

In addition, you can easily track your mortgage loan application online through yourLoanTracker℠. This tool isn't available to use with all loans.

Mortgage Tools and Calculators

To assist homebuyers in the mortgage process, particularly first-time homebuyers, Wells Fargo has various tools and resources available on its website, including helpful mortgage calculators.

Wells Fargo offers the following mortgage calculators:

• Mortgage Calculator
  • Affordability Calculator

If you have specific questions or concerns you can contact a Wells Fargo representative or connect with a mortgage consultant in your area.

The Bad

Limited Website

Wells Fargo's website can be difficult to navigate, and available mortgage information is limited.

Unknown Fees

Wells Fargo has not disclosed origination fee or other cost information on its corporate website.

Closing costs with any mortgage will vary by loan amount, type, and location, but borrowers should check for and question fees that are not clearly explained by the lender.

Similarly, interest rate and annual percentage rate (APR) will vary depending on the borrower's credit score, debt-to-income ratio, money set aside for a down payment, mortgage program chosen, and other individual financial factors. Make sure to discuss your loan options, including mortgage rates and all loan terms, in detail with your loan officer.

Recent Company Scandals

In recent years, Wells Fargo has been accused of opening fake deposit and credit accounts to meet excessive sales goals, in addition to wrongfully foreclosing on mortgage borrowers. In some cases, the company has been hit with large fines from federal and state government officials because of its harmful behaviors.

Wells Fargo has been putting all effort forth into recovering from these setbacks, but consumer trust has taken a hit.

Average Customer Reviews

Wells Fargo has average customer reviews, averaging around 3.5 stars for overall customer sentiment. This isn't necessarily bad, but it could indicate that the mortgage lending experience may not be consistent.

Positive reviews highlight:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

Negative reviews highlight:

• A lack of flexibility when extenuating circumstances arise
  • Poor communication about their mortgage loan
  • Lack of transparency and confusing fees

However, Wells Fargo is a large mortgage lender with decades of experience which should give potential borrowers a feeling of security.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo is a competitive choice for your mortgage financing needs, especially if you are a home buyer looking for a construction loan, which has added perks through Wells Fargo's Builder Rate Lock program. The company funds all major loan types, refinancing, and home equity products and services.

If you're already a Wells Fargo customer via a savings account, checking account, or credit card, it makes sense to at least look into Wells Fargo's mortgage options to see what rates you qualify for, as you will be able to manage all your finances from one place through your Wells Fargo online account.

The company has experienced some negative press because of a fraud scandal and subsequent problems with the U.S. Federal Reserve in recent years. However, as questionable practices are being cleared up, the majority of Wells Fargo reviews from mortgage customers are positive.

Wells Fargo mortgage reviews are equally positive and negative. Positive reviews highlight affordable and flexible loan options, but negative reviews often mention poor company communication and lack of transparency about fees. While customer sentiment may be swayed by Wells Fargo's recent scandal setbacks, it is important to weigh both the pros and the cons of what past customers have said about their experiences with this mortgage lender.

View Best Mortgage Companies

3.8

Laura Washington Augusta, GA

I think they are a good company. They had a home loan of mine for at least 15 years. I sold the home a few months ago. They were very thorough in ensuring I received any final funds.

Niamul hasan Bogra, 03

My friend introduced me with Wells Fargo. I had limited time to complete all the procedures for loan. I'm totally impressed by their management system. As all these was for my wife she was extremely satisfied after finishing all the formalities. Thank you Wells Fargo!

Stephen Thompson Palatine, IL

Have had a mortgage with Wells Fargo for approximately 4 years. Their website is very intuitive and easy to use, their statements are user friendly. I have no complaints with Wells Fargo except ONE. They approached me to possibly refinance about 2 years ago and I started the process with them. Their mortgage broker was customer-focused and helpful, BUT the paperwork processor was horrendous. As a backdrop our credit score is between 830-845 dependent upon which rating agency is quoted, we have never been late with any payments, etc. etc. Yet, the process was so unwieldy, I walked away and told them I would never ever start this process with them again. I provided all requested information within the first 7-10 days, yet the processor continued to follow up and ask for the same information several times. Then, she would say she sees where it was submitted, and then I would get another call requesting the same information a week later (from the same processor!). After supplying a couple fo years of my tax filings, then she figured out i was self-employed (which was in the initial paperwork) and requested an entirely new set of information. When that set of paperwork was requested for the second time after it had also been submitted, I asked to speak to her supervisor and told them "I'm done - I don't care how much $ I can save with a lower interest rate, I just lost 5 weeks of my life that I'll never get back!"

James Moss Pella, IA

Wells Fargo bought my mortgage and has always been honest with me. I was going to refinance with Rocket Mortgage, and they said I could as it would make financial sense, but later told me no. I checked with Wells Fargo as I was waiting to go with Rocket Mortage and Wells Fargo said no that could not help. Not a problem but, with Rockit Mortgage I got another hit on my credit report.

Cayleb Blais Smithfield, UT

I love Wells Fargo because I have never had a bad experience there. Everyone is always smiling and positive, and they are so willing to help in any way you need them to.

Belle Pierdon Willoughby, OH

I used Wells Fargo for my prior mortgage on a home I sold. I found this company to be lacking with customer service/needs. The rates were high even though I had great credit and income; it was my first home buying experience and I've learned what good service is now.

Mary Kate Farrell Simpsonville, SC

Wells Fargo has always been an efficient and organized bank and I have yet to report an issue with them! They exemplify great customer service, provide an easy, hassle-free way of managing your mortgage and account, and protect your financial security with the utmost precaution. Overall, I am pleased with Wells Fargo and can only recommend them !

Brian Elligson Winchester, KY

Ronalee Hardy Evansville, IN

I am so happy I chose Wells Fargo for my mortgage. They are so easy to work with.

cj thor Greenville, SC

Wells Fargo handled our loan very professionally. Their customer service is EXCELLENT. When it was time to pay off the loan, they made the process simple and pain free !! Would not hesitate using them in the future for our financing needs.

Hemant Ramachandran Santa Clara, CA

I have used Wells Fargo for many years. Overall, a very good bank. The staff have been very professional, efficient, and quick to respond. Whenever I have seen the staff in person or have a phone call, they get the job done in a timely manner.

Ben Tolsky Wilmette, IL

I didn’t get my mortgage through Wells Fargo, but they ultimately were the ones who purchased my mortgage from my broker. As far as servicing the mortgage goes they were fine. They offer automatic payments on the day of your choosing which is what I did. However, because I was enrolled in automatic payments, they did not provide me with any payment stubs going forward. Which I appreciate saving some trees, I ultimately wanted to make larger principal payments and then needed a payoff letter when I wanted to refinance. Both of these tasks proved rather difficult as I really had no idea how to contact them and what my account number was. For this reason I’ve knocked off 2 stars.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

This is our second mortgage thru WF. Never had any issues. Their customer service is fantastic.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

Wells Fargo is by the far the worst most scheming company I have ever dealt with. 16 years ago they were my first home Mtg company. I mailed a check before the 1st of each month to give ample time to show up. This was fine for a while. Then all of a sudden I started getting hit with 'Late Payment fee's'. I went ahead and paid and just figured the mail was slower than expected (mobile banking wasn't a 'thing' back then). But then I started getting suspicious. There is NO WAY it takes an envelope 17 days to its destination. SO, I paid to have the envelope trace. Apparently it takes 1 days to reach its destination and wells fargo simply didnt apply it until AFTER the Due date in order to charge a late fee. What a racket - that should be ILLEGAL. I called up and spoke with someone, faxed my proof and got all my late fee's back and then promptly re-financed and went with another company (BOA) who we've been very happy with ever since. **If I could give less than 1 star for "TRUSTWORTHINESS" I would.

courtney tennant Salem, VA

Customer service is very nice and considerate, but they have some crazy high rates for credit cards.

Mercedes Rifle, CO

My spouse and I were in the process of purchasing our first home and were comparing rates to make sure that we were getting the best rate possible (we get an employee discount through Alpine Bank). I reached out to Wells Fargo and asked them about their lending policies and asked to get a quote. TJ D (Thomas D) reached out to me and we began working together. TJ was amazing with his customer service and I was amazed at how quick he was to respond to all my questions and update my quotes. He was very patient with me as I was waiting for our Alpine Bank originator to get back to me with our final numbers and get him an answer on whether or not we would be moving forward with him. He was on top of it the whole way through and had everything ready to go in case I decided to go through them. He was by far the best lender to work with out of the three that I was comparing rates with. Thank you TJ for all your hard work and making me feel like an important customer.

Alaskan Bev Chugiak, AK

My first experience with Wells Fargo banks began about 15 years ago. My best buddy was traveling to Canada and wanted some Canadian money for exchange so I opened a savings account at Wells Fargo since that was the only bank we discovered that offered exchange services. About six years ago I learned that my husband had not been making house payments in the same manner I would have, so I cashed in four savings accounts and a couple of CDs and went in to pay off our home and property. From the moment I entered, I was met with the utmost of courtesy, professionalism, and respect. My transaction went smoothly, the paperwork was easily completed, and I was congratulated as I left. (This was the first time I have made such a purchase and I had never thought about being congratulated for it.) I also purchased some expensive necessary medical equipment three years ago; Wells Fargo worked out an easy payment plan with my prescriber so that a certain amount was withdrawn from my savings account on autopay - with zero percent interest for three years! This made my medical care affordable with no hassle whatsoever. Way to go, Wells Fargo (and Dr. M).

Basil48 Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Wells has numerous offices and personnel handling their accounts. When used on an investment property in MD we had difficulties either refinancing or getting straight answers on questions. They tried to link in and/or have you obtain other services, such as credit cards, stock management, etc. Often personnel you had been dealing with where not available.

C Hall Richmond, VA

Wells Fargo mortgage's experience matches their other experience with credit cards, bill pay, etc. Finding your information about your mortgage requires some digging, but ultimately it's pretty standard and decent; feels more like an add-on service than a significant investment experience.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

We had our home mortgage through Wells Fargo and it was a wonderful experience. We never had any complications. The customer service was great. I liked that it was with a bank that i was already banking with so i could go to the bank with questions or payments.

Joy Kersey Long Beach, CA

Mostly, home mortgage customer service is excellent. They have resources that make transactions easy, and information is accessible. I am currently looking at Refinancing, and anticipate that the transaction will be streamlined and simplified if I do it through Wells since they own my current mortgage loan. I will post again after completing that transaction to let you know how it goes. In the past, the commercial mortgage division has been shady. Individuals have way to much power without checks and balances. We couldn't move our commercial property loans to a different lender quickly enough.

Andrea Thomas Richland, WA

We did not end up with WF as there were so many fees and overall I don’t trust this bank for any of my financial services.

Gilbert Cortes Deltona, FL

The bank to have in your pocket is here to serve. These guys are one of the best customer service firms by far. The welcome greeting and friendly smile invite all to feel in a trustworthy bank. They go out of their way to accommodate and fix any issues with fund availability and speedy service that feels great in the wallet. It is nice to have someone on our side when we travel or at home. Keep up the good work.

Matthew Easterbrook Paso Robles, CA

I have had multiple home loans with Wells Fargo Mortgage. They have always had good rates, easy to work with, and great customer service.

Rogers Family Salt Lake City, UT

My mother and myself have accounts with Wells Fargo and we love them. There ATMS are everywhere and give multiple different amounts. Online banking is easy to use and our business is appreciated

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

Was a former mortgage customer for nearly 20 years. Never had any issues dealing with the company. Their website was easy to use and they serviced my mortgage and equity line of credit well.

Tyler B Palos Verdes Estates, CA

I worked with a Wells Fargo mortgage banker for my wife and Is home purchase. Unfortunately during COVID-19 they changed their underwriting standards and left us scrambling to find a banker to buy our home. If you fit within their box, Wells offers competitive rates and good customer service.

Eric Asare-budu Mechanicsville, VA

Wells Fargo serviced one of my Mortgages and they were really helpful. they communicated with me frequently about my loan with updates, changes. The website makes it very easy to make your payment and i will recommend them.

Tracey Columbia, MD

Getting started with Wells Fargo mortgage is a cluster "u know what" but once u r finished its not bad. the only issue I have is I get paid weekly so I would like to pay half one week and half another week and they don't aloud it but other than that they have been great. They have definitely been very helpful with the covid stuff.

Victoria L Moorman Indianapolis, IN

I love the customer service. The willingness to Provide you with all the tools you need to live And remain in your home, during difficult times. And happy with you when you sore again, and prosper. I love Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Thanks

Amy Stewart Gilbert, AZ

We have banked with Wells Fargo for over 20 years and love their services. We also have our home loan through Wells Fargo. They are very competitive on their interest rates. Overtime we go into the bank the workers are always helpful and friendly towards my and my family. I don't plan on changing who I bank with!

Joanna Hester Gilbert, AZ

We have a Wells Fargo home loan on our first home which we turned into a rental property. We have used them for 15 years. I had to contact customer service with questions about our loan and when our mortgage insurance would fall off. They were always very helpful and went above and beyond to answer my questions.

Nancy Kreigline

I feel like I got a great deal on my mortgage loan. The cutomer service department has always been excellant. I am able to go online at any time & check on any tax payments or balances remaining & I can also print out any forms I may need.

Matin Midlothian, VA

This is about W.F. Home Loan. They have the best customer service that are always there to answer your question. Just an FYI, I refinanced through another mortgage company who sold the loan to W.F. (W.F. like other banks doesn't always have the lowest rates with zero fees).

Ashley Pleasant Grove, UT

My husband and I were seeking a good Mortgage rate to refinance our home. We were very happy with Wells Fargo. The loan officer took a look at our financials and credit history and helped us secure a very reasonable rate. We have had no issues with the rate changing on us. If any issues every arise there is never a long wait on the phone to talk to someone. In fact we get a call every 6 months or so to make sure that we are satisfied with everything they are doing.

Viva Bird Springville, UT

We have been a customer of Wells Fargo Bank for, at least 50 years. They have always provided excellent service to us regarding our checking, savings, credit cards, debit cards, home mortgage and our reverse mortgage. We have very little complaints about any issues that may have come up. When there was and issue, it was immediately resolved to our satisfaction. We have been very pleased with their service.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

Our mortgage was through Wells Fargo. When I received a refinance offer from another company that was good for us, I called up Wells Fargo to see if they could match it and save us the time and hassle of loads of paper work to refinance. Not only did they match it, I only had one paper to fill out which I was able to do right on my phone. Simple, easy, and a great value.

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

I was a first time homebuyer when applying for a loan with Wells Fargo. I felt WF offered a full range of both traditional as well as other specialty mortgages. I went with the traditional and because I was a first-time homebuyer, they had a program that allowed me to put down a downpayment of 3.5%. I think the lowest I could do, as a first time homebuyer, was 3%. At the time, WF did require a minimum credit score of 620, which was not a problem for me but could be for others applying with them. I know in 2016, WF had an embarrassing corporate setback, but with my dealings with them, I had a great experience.

Anna Hu Provo, UT

I have been a Wells Fargo customer for the last 5 years and have had nothing but positive experiences. Every time I've needed help with something, it has been resolved with a simple and short phone call. I've met with representatives in the office multiple times regarding setting up loans or new accounts and they have been extremely helpful and thorough with walking me through each process.

Jon Sun City, AZ

I had a mortgage with WellsFargo after purchasing a home. Tried to refinance with them a year later and they did not get the business due to rates.

L Turner Avon, IN

The reps are knowledgeable and helpful. Worked with the same agent for years. They check in with us regularly to ensure that our needs are met.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

ONE of the worst banking services around. I have NEVER had any good experiences with them with in their credit services or banking. I have had a mortgage with them for 15 years on an investment property that they refused to let me refinance...finally they sold the mortgage to a debt collection service as it was a veritable rate mortgage and they were not making a killing on it. They did keep the Line-of-credit that was attached to the property as it had a fixed rate that was 4% above the market. They also refuse my request to renegotiate to lower cost to me....they are crooks and should not be in the banking business (see the "false loan request" scandal of a few years ago.

brandon wilkins West Valley City, UT

I had my mortgage through Wells Fargo for several years on my personal home. I closed my loan through someone else but they purchased it. I never needed too much service regarding it. They seemed to do just fine processing my monthly payments until I paid it off eventually.

Bessie B Gilbert, AZ

We had our home morgage through Wells Fargo. They had competitive rates. We were able to set up direct payments and i liked that there were not penalities for early payoff. Overall it was a positive exerience.

Robert Alfano Stephenson, VA

I don't have much experience with them. I bought a new construction home a little over 2 years ago with a mortgage from the builder. Before my first payment was due they sold the mortgage to Wells Fargo. Since then I make my payments each month with no issues.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

Wells Fargo is a very trustworthy bank. They will treat you like a valued customer and are very knowledgeable about different products that would be best for you and your situation.

Lesia Ambrose

The name speaks for itself. Great customer service, fair and quality product. Convenient location to home and work. Mortgage loan, savings account, checking account and soon automotive loan with WF. Never had a problem with customer service locally nor out of state. Knowledgeable employees are a plus. Office is alway neat/clean appearance

A. Taylor Panama City, FL

I last used Wells Fargo mortgage services a few years ago. They were the most straight-forward and easy to use that I have ever had. Simple, reliable customer friendly servie at it's best.

Kent Logan, UT

We recently refinanced our home to take advantage of historically low interest rates and Wells Fargo became our loan servicer. So far, everything has been smooth and straightforward after several months of mortgage payments.

John Garcia Albuquerque, NM

I have been a Wells Fargo customer for about 30 years. I have about 9 different accounts with them. They have always treated me with respect and fairness. I would recommend to anyone.