Wells Fargo Bank provides checking account and savings account services, credit cards, student loans, personal loans, business loans, reverse mortgage programs, and other banking products and financial services. Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, its mortgage lending division, finances home buying and home building nationwide.

The company offers several financing options for home buyers as well as existing mortgage refinancing services and home equity financing for homeowners. When you apply for a loan with Wells Fargo, you can track your application as well as current interest rates online as you wait for approval. Once you're approved, you can manage your mortgage account with enrollment in Wells Fargo Online using your bank's account number and routing number.

Wells Fargo mortgage reviews give the company a 3.5/5 star ratings for trust, customer service, and value.

#1 NBKC Bank chevron_right
4.9
#2 Quicken Loans chevron_right
3.8

The Good

• New Construction Loans
  • Low Down Payment Requirement
  • Several Loan Options
  • Home Equity Financing
  • Convenience and Customer Care

New Construction Loans

Wells Fargo mortgage reviews give the company 3.5/5 stars for trust, customer service, and value.

Low Down Payment Requirement

Borrowers have low down payment options with Wells Fargo. You can get a conventional fixed-rate mortgage with a down payment as low as 3 percent. Be aware that with a low down payment, you'll need to purchase mortgage insurance, which increases the loan cost and monthly payment. And, as always, eligibility is dependent upon loan amount, loan type, and property type.

FHA (Federal Housing Administration) loans have low down payment options, too, with rates as low as 3.5 percent and you can often use a gift or grant for the down payment and closing costs. This, too, requires purchasing mortgage insurance.

VA (Department of Veterans Affairs) loans offer low- and no-down payment options for eligible service members and veterans and unlike conventional and FHA low down payment loan requirements, you don't have to worry about mortgage insurance.

Several Loan Options

Wells Fargo offers a wide variety of loan options, including 30-year, 20-year, and 15-year fixed rate mortgages, 5/1 ARM (adjustable-rate mortgages), 30-year fixed rate VA loans, and 30-year fixed rate FHA loans. In some cases, borrowers may be able to customize their loan.

In addition, the company offers refinancing and funding to pay for repairs and renovations.

Home Equity Financing

Wells Fargo offers home equity financing. Pairing a home equity line of credit with fixed-rate or adjustable-rate mortgages can give you payment flexibility. A home equity line of credit also has potential tax benefits: in some cases you can deduct the interest used to improve, buy, or build a home with home equity financing.

Convenience and Customer Care

Wells Fargo makes it easy to apply for, access, and manage loan information and other account details from a computer, tablet, or smartphone with its online account system and mobile app. The mobile app is compatible with iOS and Android devices. While Wells Fargo has thousands of brick and mortar locations throughout the country, the home loan application can be completed in full online.

In addition to the company’s online system and app, many customer reviews speak highly of customer service received. Customer service reps are described as being friendly and helpful people.

The Bad

Unknown Fees

Wells Fargo has not disclosed origination fee or other cost information on its corporate website.

Closing costs with any mortgage vary by loan amount, type, and location, but borrowers should check for and question fees that are not clearly explained by the lender.

Similarly, interest rate and annual percentage rate (APR) will vary depending on the borrower's credit score, debt-to-income ratio, money set aside for a down payment, mortgage program chosen, and other individual financial factors. Make sure to discuss your options and all loan terms in detail with your loan officer.

The Bottom Line

Wells Fargo is a top candidate for borrowers’ mortgage servicing needs, especially for new constructions in real estate thanks to the company’s Builder Rate Lock program. The company funds all major loan types, refinancing, and home equity products and services.

The company has experienced some negative press because of a fraud scandal and subsequent problems with the U.S. Federal Reserve in recent years. However, as questionable practices are being cleared up, the majority of Wells Fargo reviews from mortgage customers are positive.

View Best Home Loans Companies

Craig
May 15th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Years ago we went through Wells Fargo for a mortgage and it seemed like they did everything they could to make the process more difficult than it needed to be. The fees were also much higher than other mortgage companies so I wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Jennifer
May 10th, 2019 Ogden, UT DETAILS

I didn't really like the "Big Bank" feel with our mortgage through Wells Fargo. It always seemed like we were just another tiny part of the puzzle. I would have liked better customer service and rates more comparable to others I knew of at the time. The bright side was that the application process was very easy through a very highly skilled mortgage loan officer.

Reese
May 9th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had a mortgage through Wells Fargo in the past and it was a great rate, easy to qualify and low closing costs. They are easy to keep track of and make payments to and the online capabilities is amazing.

Ashley
May 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

My husband and I were seeking a good Mortgage rate to refinance our home. We were very happy with Wells Fargo. The loan officer took a look at our financials and credit history and helped us secure a very reasonable rate. We have had no issues with the rate changing on us. If any issues every arise there is never a long wait on the phone to talk to someone. In fact we get a call every 6 months or so to make sure that we are satisfied with everything they are doing.

Mercedes
May 2nd, 2019 Rifle, CO DETAILS

My spouse and I were in the process of purchasing our first home and were comparing rates to make sure that we were getting the best rate possible (we get an employee discount through Alpine Bank). I reached out to Wells Fargo and asked them about their lending policies and asked to get a quote. TJ D (Thomas D) reached out to me and we began working together. TJ was amazing with his customer service and I was amazed at how quick he was to respond to all my questions and update my quotes. He was very patient with me as I was waiting for our Alpine Bank originator to get back to me with our final numbers and get him an answer on whether or not we would be moving forward with him. He was on top of it the whole way through and had everything ready to go in case I decided to go through them. He was by far the best lender to work with out of the three that I was comparing rates with. Thank you TJ for all your hard work and making me feel like an important customer.

Gary S
April 18th, 2019 Matthews, NC DETAILS

My original mortgage was purchased by Wells Fargo 4 years ago and they have been a nightmare to deal with. First off, you get bombarded with offers to refinance, use their banking and sign up for credit card offers but offer nothing in the way of customer service once you are a customer. I requested a PMI evaluation, paid $200 for it and the entire process ended up being a sham. They failed to add 1200 sq ft of livabled and heated living space, a second kitchen and a 4rth bathroom to the appraisal and then reused to re-evaluate once I pointed the errors out in the original report. I called to complain and they could care less, but when I left a bad review on Google, all of a suydden a team of people were contacting me to try and smooth things out. What ajoke of a company.

Don
April 1st, 2019 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS

Seniors Beware Wells Fargo is a joke and don't waste your time. I have been with Wells Fargo for 25 years with significant deposits with 2 previous Home Mortgages. I never missed a payment, never bounced a check and was a very reliable customer. My wife and I found our dream home that we wished to settle in for the rest of our lives and only naturally went to "My Bank" to get a loan and hopefully treated well. In the start, everything looks so promising including favourable rates and loan fees. They accommodated me with a pre-approval (that turned out to be as good as 1 ply toilet paper). Then the loan process started and what looked to be a great online/loan officer system turned out to be as worthless as the 1 Ply! They do not care if you have built significant assets in your lifetime or been a dependable trusted customer for over 25 years. They tease you with rates, get you to spend $675 and then reject you because you don't make enough money. They don't care that you made money your whole life and have cash and assets to back it up. Stay away from this nightmare of a company that their CEO just stepped done because they stink at understanding their customer's needs.

wayne sanders
February 13th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

we have previously used Wells Fargo and never had any issues. when we were with them all contracts were clearly explained and if we had any questions there was always someone who could answer it for us. it was nice to have a branch near by that we could go into if needed.

Ryan Huntsman
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Wells Fargo purchased my loan from a different mortgagee so I wasn't able to choose to go through them. They are very friendly at the window and helpful when needs arise. They do a good job trying to cross-sell you to other products they offer, personal and business banking, credit cards, etc.

JR Suguturaga
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

The experience did not feel personable and i was not impressed with the customer service

JNH
February 12th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I have had no issues with my loans through wellsfargo. Seems a bit impersonal, but they get the job done.

Debbie Aston
February 12th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We love wells fargo! They are super conservative, but they offer good products and they won't try to tell you you qualify for bigger house then you can afford.

Brennan
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Before getting a mortgage through Wells Fargo I thought that all mortgages were the same. This for sure wasn't the case with Wells Fargo. They seemed to go above and beyond what was necessary just to make things great. Their closing costs were very competitive and fast. Use Wells Fargo for your next home loan.

Andrea
February 12th, 2019 Orangevale, CA DETAILS

Wells Fargo has been very professional and trustworthy with my home loan. The process was straight forward and easy.

Amanda Olsen
February 12th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Love working with Wells Fargo. Many services available to help with all financial needs. Competent and friendly staff to help you navigate the loan world along with making long term investment decisions.

Laura
February 11th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We have had a home loan with Wells Fargo Home Mortgage for over 17 years. Before that, we had another home loan with them for 10 years. We have been loyal customers. However, suddenly, they sold our mortgage to another mortgage provider. I know this can be a common practice, but it has caused some problems and after being with them for so long, it came as quite a surprise.

Krysten
February 11th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

We stay with Wells Fargo because we have been with them for over a decade but we’ve never felt like they care about us. They try to sneak in redivulous little fees that we go in and ask to have removed and they remove or refund them. Basically they probably make tons of money off people not paying attention

janalee sanders
February 8th, 2019 Valley Center, CA

several years ago we were looking to re-fi our home loan and did quite a bit of research with a Wells Fargo rep. while most everything they offered looked great, what it came down to was interest rate and they just couldn't offer us a rate that worked for the time frame we needed it.

Noriko Johnson
February 7th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Service is always good. I don’t have to wait forever when I call and they have a great app

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great experience with Wells Fargo.Easy application, fast closing and low fees. Probably the best home loan experience I have ever had. Use Wells Fargo if you are looking for a home loan.

Viva Bird
February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

We have been a customer of Wells Fargo Bank for, at least 50 years. They have always provided excellent service to us regarding our checking, savings, credit cards, debit cards, home mortgage and our reverse mortgage. We have very little complaints about any issues that may have come up. When there was and issue, it was immediately resolved to our satisfaction. We have been very pleased with their service.

Sunny Perry
February 6th, 2019 Springville, UT DETAILS

So grateful for Wells Fargo. Able to finance our home after months of trying other options. Wish we would have started there.

Ann Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I have had several home loans through Wells Fargo. They were very easy to work with. They sold our loans quickly, but were pleased how quickly our paperwork went through to qualify.

Cindy Bailey
February 5th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I have a mortgage with them and they have been fine to work with. I appreciate their help

Milton Fletcher
February 5th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

Not a fan of Wells Fargo Home Loan’s because they have too many hidden fees and their Customer Service is terrible.

Lindsey B
February 5th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Highly competitive interest rates and closing costs. We had a great experience with Wells Fargo in obtaining our home loan. The loan officer really knew what she was doing and the process was much easier than other experiences he had in the past. I would highly recommend Wells Fargo to anyone looking for a new home loan or a refinance.

Kathy Jo Jorgensen
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Great company to use for your mortgage. They have easy online bill pay. We had a slight mix up one month with our mortgage payment and one quick phone call later, everything was made right with no penalty.

Jason Brown
February 4th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Honestly, the best part of the home loan wasn't the rate but rather that it fully integrated into the Wells Fargo app. I was able to see my checking, savings, and mortgage balance.

SPENCER C HARVEY
February 1st, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

What can i say we have them on both our mortgages and they do great. We do our job and they do theirs and without them we wouldn't have a house!

Jeremy Arndt
January 31st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I did a home loan with Wells Fargo a few years ago and everything they "said" was not represented correctly. I'm not even sure how they did what they did, but buried in the new loan was a bunch of hidden fees and things nobody in their right mind would want. My bad for not having a lawyer present to read the documents with me, but my goodness. What is this world coming to if you cannot trust a company to be ethical? I know I wasn't the only person Wells Fargo scammed out of money, but it felt really personal.

Jeff Blackett
January 31st, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I had a home loan with Wells Fargo for 8 years on a previous home. The thing about Wells Fargo that I feel set them apart was their customer service. They were ALWAYS helpful when it came to any of my questions or concerns. I also had the opportunity to refinance at a lower rate. The process was made much easier than I would have expected and they actually did a few things that ended up saving me more money than they had quoted. Overall a great experience.

JARED J BUCKLEY
January 31st, 2019 Fort Bridger, WY DETAILS

The service overall is alright. Trying to get a hold of my loan officer was a little tricks but never really affected the overall.

Lori Fletcher
January 30th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I think Wells Fargo Mortgage department has too many fees and are dishonest. Our family prefers credit unions.

Kymberlee Yack
January 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

can i just say how much i love wells fargo! we were trying to put a down payment on a house and they were so great to work with!

Dasha Directo
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I feel comfortable taking a loan with Wells Fargo. The loan interest isn't ridiculous, so it's not hard to pay back. I've been able to pay my loans without any trouble.

Cayla robinson
January 16th, 2019 Sandy, UT

When it comes to home loans Wells Fargo is the way to go . They always are there to help me with any concerns and help me feel at home with no worries. The staff is very helpful and pleasant! Love them!

Chloe Magleby
December 21st, 2018 Provo, UT

Wellsfargo is one of the hardest banks to work with and makes it very difficult to get approved for a home loan, not to mention they are way sketchy!

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

Took time to answer questions, evaluated our needs well and gave us honest directions to our future plans. Pleasant staff

Grant
December 6th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Wells Fargo was a great home loan on our previous home out of state. It was very easy to make payments online and keep track of the interest paid each month.

Kaitlyn George
December 6th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Wells Fargo has managed our home loan for the past 3.5 years and we have had no issues. The process is simple and their monthly, quarterly and annual statements are easy to understand.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Great company easy to use. When another company offered a lower rate all we had to do was call and they match the rate with only one paper to sign.

Kristie Sgambati
November 30th, 2018 Rocklin, CA DETAILS

We used Wells Fargo to finance our home loan for our second home. We love the customer service we receive and would not want to bank with anyone else.

Ella
November 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Wells Fargo is pretty great. Every time I've been, I have gotten excellent customer service. The people there are truly there to help meet your loan needs and do what they can in your best interest.

Laurie Litwiler
November 30th, 2018 Lompoc, CA DETAILS

I would not recommend using Wells Fargo for any type of loan! Poor response time from agents and many promises from them not kept!

Abbey
November 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

have good costumer serve and are great with loans. Have had a great experience with them!!

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 14th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Our mortgage was through Wells Fargo. When I received a refinance offer from another company that was good for us, I called up Wells Fargo to see if they could match it and save us the time and hassle of loads of paper work to refinance. Not only did they match it, I only had one paper to fill out which I was able to do right on my phone. Simple, easy, and a great value.

Jason Pyrah
November 5th, 2018 Willard, MO DETAILS

Our Wells Fargo home loan has a little bit higher interest rate, but I am okay with paying it because I really like the stellar service that we receive.

Lynn White
November 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Worst ever. Changed rate illegally on a HELOC that was part of closing, but we realized after that they'd conveniently left the rate off of the legal docs, it was only on the quotes. At sale of home had unusual situation with corporate move and purchase of our unsold home. Spent several weeks going in circles - hours on the phone. It literally became a full-time job for about an entire week. All day on the phone or camping out at the bank or mortgage office. NEVER AGAIN.

Amy Leifi
October 30th, 2018 Orem, UT DETAILS

When I talked to a rep inside the bank about my account, I got one answer, when I called a rep I got another answer. Couldn't get the information I needed and was glad when I could finally pay off my home loan and be done with them.

Dylan Curtis
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

They helped us get a 1st and 2nd mortgage for our first home. When we had a setback financially they were kind and gave us extra time to try and get caught up.