NBKC Bank (National Bank of Kansas City) is a full-service, FDIC-insured bank and an approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lender.

NBKC currently has the best customer score among all reviewed mortgage lenders with an average overall score of 4.9/5 stars from verified customer reviews

The company’s consistently high volume of mortgage loans, low overhead costs, centralized operations, and advanced technology allow it to cut closing costs significantly.

Along with more than 20 years of mortgage lending experience, NBKC Bank offers borrowers:

• online lending nationwide
  • an easy and efficient online application process,
  • educational resources including 17 financial calculators,
  • customized loan options, and
  • excellent customer service reported by reviewers.

NBKC's purchase and refinance loan products include:

• Fixed-rate mortgages (offers rates for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms)
  • 5/1 ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages)
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans

In addition to providing conventional, VA, and FHA loans in all 50 states, NBKC Bank offers credit cards, online checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, personal loans, auto loans, recreational vehicle loans, business loans and treasury solutions, and HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans.

NBKC is partnered with Military Makeover, an organization that provides unique benefits to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces.

The Good

• Mortgage Rates
  • Available Nationwide
  • Discounts for Costco Members
  • Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process
  • Loan Types Available
  • Helpful Financial Calculators

Mortgage Rates

While mortgage rates can change daily and evenly hourly, the NBKC website provides instant illustrative chart data for any proposed mortgage loan. That way, prospective borrowers can get a feel for the mortgage rate, APR, payment P&I, and lender fees they can expect for a given loan amount, down payment, credit score, and location. Loan programs pictured include 30-year fixed, 15-year fixed, and 5/1 ARMs.

Available Nationwide

NBKC lending services are available in all 50 states due to the company's online mortgage lending model. Prospective borrowers who want to apply for loans can do so from the website, eliminating office wait times and travel costs.

Though the loan process takes place remotely for borrowers not local to NBKC's offices in Kansas and Missouri, borrowers can be confident they are being well taken care of: loan origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding all happen on-site.

Discounts for Costco Members

NBKC charges low, flat origination fees across all loans except VA loans. Costco members with an Executive membership, Gold Star membership, or Business membership status receive discounts on NBKC's origination fee, whereas many other lenders do not offer any discounts off their lender fees.

It’s nice that in addition to access to Costco gas stations, cash-back rewards, and discount rewards, a Costco membership benefits you when you choose NBKC as one of its participating lenders through the Costco mortgage services program.

Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process

NBKC offers a simple four-step application process for mortgage loans:

1. Application — You can fill out the long or short loan application depending on how detailed you want to be.
  2. Document Delivery — Mortgage loan documents are delivered to you, then signed and returned to NBKC.
  3. Appraisal and Title Work — An appraisal is ordered and the bank works with you or your agent to ensure that title work is ordered.
  4. Closing — After documentation is received, an NBKC rep walks you through the final details and you close at a local title company or attorney's office.

Loan Types Available

• Fixed-rate mortgages make for easy budgeting since the monthly fees amount paid to your loan servicer is the same each month. A fixed-rate mortgage is not affected by fluctuating interest rates. NBKC offers fixed-rate mortgages for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms.
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) work well for borrowers that plan to move or refinance before the end of the fixed-rate period, as your monthly mortgage payment may fluctuate after the end of the period according to changes in interest rate. NBKC offers 5/1 ARMs, which means the interest rate is fixed for the first five years of the loan, after which the interest rate can change annually.
  • FHA loans require less out-of-pocket cash than most conventional loans and can be obtained with a fair-to-good credit rating. For that reason, FHA loans may be an attractive option for borrowers that have dealt with financial hardship.
  • VA loans are for qualified U.S. veterans and service members and are backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. A VA home loan generally does not require a down payment.

Helpful Financial Calculators

NBKC Bank provides website visitors with 17 financial calculators that assist prospective home buyers taking inventory of their finances and estimating mortgage payments based on money available for a down payment, time, credit score, and other factors. These tools help you identify the right type of home loan for your particular situation. Here are the calculators:

• Mortgage Comparison: 15 Years vs. 30 Years
  • Fixed Rate Mortgage vs. Interest Only Mortgage
  • Fully Amortizing ARM vs. Interest Only ARM
  • Mortgage Points Calculator
  • Refinance Interest Savings
  • Determine ARM Payments
  • Determine Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)
  • Retirement Planner
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD) Calculator
  • College Savings
  • Maximum Mortgage Calculator
  • Net Worth Growth Potential

Most importantly, NBKC gives you today's mortgage rates when you fill out a simple form on the website that includes credit score (starting with excellent credit), what you will pay for the down payment, home location, and estimated home value.

The Bad

• Limited Office Locations
  • Mobile App Limitations

Limited Office Locations

Most work for NBKC is done online or over the phone because office locations are limited. NBKC has only three office locations: Overland Park, KS, Leawood, KS, and Kansas City, MO. This aspect may deter remote borrowers who feel more comfortable discussing their mortgage face-to-face.

Mobile App Limitations

In addition to mortgages, NBKC Bank offers personal online banking and business banking services including business loans, treasury solutions, credit card management, auto loans, home equity loans, savings and checking account services, and CDs. Most of these services can be managed on the NBKC Bank mobile app for both iOS and Android.

However, the mobile app is exclusively for the above banking services rather than for managing a loan, finding local realtors, or house hunting. A more all-inclusive app, or perhaps even a separate mortgage-focused app, would make borrowing from NBKC Bank even more convenient than it already is.

The Bottom Line

NBKC Bank provides several types of mortgages nationwide and utilizes a streamlined online application process for each mortgage program. Plus, origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding are all done on-site. The Costco member discounts are added perks.

Most significant, though, is the customer satisfaction evidenced by the NBKC mortgage reviews below. Overall, most customers speak highly of the company's loan officers and other representatives' attention to detail and customer care throughout the home buying process, confirming the company's excellent customer service.

Users give NBKC an average of 4.5/5 stars in all of our sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

If you're nervous about the prospect of purchasing a home loan online, know that NBKC Bank is equipped to provide you with a positive experience. From the efficiency of the application process to the personal service of its loan officers, this lender gets online mortgage lending right.

Call our recommended rep over at NBKC Bank below.

4.9

Karena

March 28th, 2020 Long Beach, CA

I would like to start off by saying that Mark was just simply amazing!! I’ve heard many different stories from friends and colleagues about trying to refinance and it’s been horrible! Although with Mark everything ran very smoothly! He was very attentive, very patient, answered all my questions and concerns. I would definitely recommend Mark to friends and family .I am beyond happy with his work ethics. Thanks again Mark for making this process so smooth and stress-free. I appreciate all your help from the bottom of my heart!!!

Stuart Swalheim

March 28th, 2020 Orlando, FL

I've had 15 property loan in my 71 years.Never have I had a more effortless financial transaction.C.J.and his associates were amazing.they comunicated very effectively and immediately.In the future I would use only NDKC.

Thao Phan

March 28th, 2020 'Ewa Beach, HI

Ronald M. from NBKC was our loan originator. He took care of us through the entire home purchase. He was in constant contact and always available to answer any questions, despite the time zone difference. Our experience was perfect due to his expertise, ability to close quickly, and unbeatable rate!

Casey

March 26th, 2020 Boise, ID

We had a great experience with NBKC and Zach as our representative. He was always on top of communication and very informative. The lady that came to sign off our paperwork was great too! Overall, great experience, thank you!

Annette Hall

March 26th, 2020 Plano, TX

Ryan A. was my personal Loan Officer and from the very start he was prompt in getting details to me in writing, a very good rate on refi, and cutting unnecessary corners that other lenders demanded. In addition, he took a personal approach to resolve a few challenges with my previous mortgage company, who were remarkably uncooperative through the process. I highly recommend Ryan and NBKC Bank for home loan or refinancing of existing property.

Karen Khal

March 26th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

Extremely positive experience. Mark Y., Loan Officer kept us well informed and walked us through the process every step of the way. We couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

Scott Warner

March 26th, 2020 ,

I recently used NBKC Bank for a home loan refinance. It was so quick and painless. Matt H. was great! It too about 2 weeks and it was all done.

chunkymonkey

March 26th, 2020 Moorpark, CA

Refinance was awesome, paperwork was as required and nothing more. Easy to put in, fast to complete. Loan officer was knowledgeable and got stuff done in unprecedented demand.

Bill L.

March 26th, 2020 Orangevale, CA

Mark was great. I had a lot of questions during the whole refinancing process., and he explained everything very well. Highly recommend!

Mike Rhodes

March 26th, 2020 Hemet, CA

I have been a Realtor for 34 years and have worked with numerous lenders and loan representatives, but none have been near as good as Trent G. with his team at NBKC Bank. The process was unbelievably easy and fast ( just over 3 weeks)!! Whenever there was a question Trent was right there with the answer at any time. This included after hours and weekends too. I was so impressed with Trent and his team I recommended them to my daughter and son in law. They have already been surprised with how quick and simple the process has been. I would not hesitate to recommend Trent G. and NBKC Bank to anyone.

Chris Caufield

March 26th, 2020 Cathedral City, CA

I had a great experience with a home refi at NBKC. Because of my schedule and preference they adapted to my online communications preference, they did not force me to use the phone all the time. With my travels it made it so much easier on me. Also a shout out to Joe my Loan Officer was great, clear emails and extremely responsive to my questions. Thanks NBKC for having good products and great staff.

Darla Ford

March 23rd, 2020 Richland, WA

Working with Cheryl K. from NBKC Bank was by far the best experience I’ve had! From the first phone call to closing, Cheryl was always very knowledgeable, friendly, professional and very efficient! She always responded to my numerous questions immediately and explained everything in detail. She made the entire process very easy and without any stress. She actually lowered my stress! She even arranged for a lower interest rate that I didn’t even know was possible. All the financial detail she provided was true and correct and she always informed me immediately if there were any changes. I give Cheryl K. the highest rating possible and that’s saying a lot as I usually don’t even complete surveys/ratings but I actually requested to in this case so others could benefit from working with Cheryl K. as well as I wanted her management to know how good she is! I can’t express enough how awesome it was working with Cheryl! She worked with me like it was her own home she was buying and her customer service was outstanding! I find this hard to come by these days so am extremely grateful! Thank-you, Darla Ford

Jun O

March 22nd, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

Fast and Easy... If was this easy, I would have refinanced long time ago.

Chris Wilson

March 22nd, 2020 Fontana, CA

It was great dealing with Mike. He was quick to respond and I received a great deal. I shopped with other lenders and NBKC was by far the best, especially the customer service I received from my agent.

Terry Stanton

March 22nd, 2020 Federal Way, WA

Our experience with Paige from NBKC was great! She responded to my inquiry within 1 minute. She worked for us day, night and weekends to make sure our questions were answered. She was patient even though some of my questions and concerns were probably unnecessary, LOL. Our Escrow closed within 3 days of her original estimate and any small delay was on my part. Our transaction with the seller was a little unusual and Paige went out of her way to make sure we were fully aware of the normal buyer/seller costs. We would do business with Paige and NBKC again in a heartbeat and will highly recommend them to our friends and family or anyone who will listen.

Hello Determination

March 22nd, 2020 Hercules, CA

Scott C. was excellent to work with! His customer service and communication was top notch. He was patient with all the various questions I asked and took time to explain in detail. I really appreciate that he was warm and personable. I felt like he really cared about my experience and had my best interests in mind. I have recommended him to friends who are also in the process of obtaining a mortgage.

Remedios

March 22nd, 2020 Boynton Beach, FL

Ryan L. was instrumental throughout the refinance process. He was very responsive and knowledgeable from the pre-approval to closing. It was extremely efficient, seamless and secure. He is truly a valuable asset to NBKC.

V. R. Katouzian

March 22nd, 2020 Mount Airy, MD

Fast and smooth process for refinancing. Very professional loan officer ( Matt H. ). Definitely recommend.

Shankar Natarajan

March 19th, 2020 Ashburn, VA

Trevor was great to work with. got answers to my questions immediately. Would definitely recommend to others

Scott Tompkins

March 19th, 2020 Bethesda, MD

Super fast process, from loan app to sending documents to closing it was a breeze...100% online. Rates were as good as any I could find.

Joanne MacLaine

March 19th, 2020 Fontana, CA

Great communication. A pleasure to do business with.

Carlos Cuellar

March 19th, 2020 Sarasota, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The process was straight forward and communication was always open. I will definitely will do business again with NBKC and with Jordan S.!

Vilaysay Sai Phavisith

March 18th, 2020 Sacramento, CA

The whole process was easy and painless. Mark was very responsive and continued to maintain communication throughout the process without being a burden. Thank you for the great customer service and efficiency!

Drew

March 18th, 2020 Lexington, TN

I would highly recommended NBKC . From the start until the close, Zach was very helpful and always prompt in answering whatever question that was asked. Another thing was the easy of the online process. It was extremely convenient and allowed us to work on documents and upload them on our time.

Tim Hiatt

March 18th, 2020 Stockton, CA

This was the easiest refinance I’ve ever experienced! Beau was very helpful and friendly. He always responded quickly to my questions. Great experience! Thanks!

Chris Cordoba

March 17th, 2020 Valley Village, CA

The experience could have been much better. This process started in Nov 2019 and did not close until mid March 2020. It was sold to me that I would close my loan within 3 weeks, not the case. Many times I wanted to be in touch with my Processor or loan agent and 8 out 10 I would not get any response, until days later after I had to remind the agent I had left a message via TEXT, EMAIL, and Voicemail. Many times it was frustrating because the Agent seemed to lack the knowledge in my opinion. After I had to do all the requirements which I expected an agent who constantly bragged he'd been in the business over 20 yrs it felt LIKE I WAS DEALING with a new-comer. Anyways I am shocked it took this long for my loan to close. Not cool not something I should be lied about. I had other expectations and time lines I needed to meet, but once my Credit was pulled that was it, I had to stick with them. So I did. I would not recommend anyone use this Company.

Brian

March 17th, 2020 Oakley, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Was very satisfied with the whole mortgage process. We were well informed and the entire process was very smooth.

Jeanne Stronach

March 17th, 2020 San Diego, CA

Easy process. Responsive and helpful service.

Susan Rosa

March 17th, 2020 Fresno, CA

Quick response time, competent, competitive.

Erik Emmer

March 14th, 2020 Midvale, UT

Very smooth process. Was very satisified.

Joe Griffin

March 14th, 2020 Plano, TX

Ronald was great through the process. He continually kept us updated as the loan went through the various stages. I would highly recommend Ronald and NBKC Bank in the future.

Grant Backe

March 13th, 2020 Stuart, FL

Trent was the most responsive of all the lenders we looked into using. He was also competitive and knowledgeable as he led us through our fist home buying experience. The process felt easy and smooth. I would recommend Trent to friends and family.

Romelia Landrum

March 13th, 2020 Houston, TX

Very smooth process. Paige was very easy to understand and was available whenever We called and asked questions. She was very helpful and enjoyed the total process.

Brett M

March 12th, 2020 Norristown, PA

There was very good quick responses from the Beau and let me know the answers to my questions quickly.

Dr. Jonathan Abrahams

March 12th, 2020 Conway, SC

Had a very positive experience working with Jason. He was clear, straightforward and honest in his assessments and suggestions

Jamie Mayer

March 12th, 2020 Valdez, AK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our representative Trevor was so easy to work with! He responded quickly to all questions, no matter what time of day I sent them. Thank you for all your hard work.

Eric Zeaman

March 12th, 2020 Boca Raton, FL

Fast and reliable communication. This allowed me a stress free process of refinancing.

arsenia p alignay

March 12th, 2020 Fleming Island, FL

Everything done professionally I am happy about it. Thank you

Travis Martin

March 12th, 2020 Keller, TX

I submitted a home loan profile on Costco and received a call from Brandon at nbkc promptly. He gave me some great info right from the start. He pointed out some details about home loans I had no idea about, which lead me to going with NBKC. It was also clear that I could trust him. He even helped us out of a jam on super bowl Sunday when his team was playing! Great guy, definitely recommend to friends.

Brandon Donahue

March 12th, 2020 Chicago, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to work with, and readily accessible for questions throughout the mortgage process

Alagiri A

March 12th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

Very fast in getting things done and clearly explained all the values in the loan.

Paul Stisser

March 12th, 2020 Jacksonville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This was the best experience for my family! I had to pleasure of working with Jay and NBKC. The professionalism and terrific communication made the process so easy to understand with their crystal clear expectations. I would highly recommend working with NBKC Bank and hopefully, you will be assigned, Jay. Thank you, Jay! We love our new house!!!

Amanda Slavens

March 12th, 2020 Yorkville, IL

The process was very quick and easy. We went from the initial application to closing in less than 30 days. Matt was very responsive to any questions that we had, whether they were at day, night, or even on the weekend. He was very helpful and knowledgeable.

dana

March 12th, 2020 Santa Rosa, CA

I can say that Brad is great. He was in consent contact with me. Brad answered all my questions and helped when there was a misstep.

scchhim

March 12th, 2020 Santa Clara, CA

My experience with nbck and my loan officer Ronald Mills was exceptional. He was courteous and professional and always available to answer any questions I had. I would definitely recommend nbkc to my friends and family.

Ben Siemens

March 12th, 2020 Lebanon, IN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Cheryl was awesome. Everything was streamlined for our refi. Cheryl was always very responsive and we closed quickly.

Christopher Cawley

March 12th, 2020 New Haven, CT

Todd has been excellent since the very first interaction. I have been lucky to work with him throughout the entire refi process. He made the process easy and convenient for me. If Todd is a representation of what I can expect in the future dealings with your company then I am at ease; and that is very important in my chaotic world

Ronald Bark

March 12th, 2020 El Cajon, CA

The communication was outstanding. Rhett ensured that nothing was missed and that all milestones were accomplished. NBKC was a great bank to work with for our refi!

Carl Dolk

March 5th, 2020 Roseville, CA

Joe Z is a true professional. He had the answers to my questions, kept me fully informed, and was upfront about what to expect. He had my back and I highly recommend him for handling your purchase or refinance needs.

Cliff Wright

March 5th, 2020 Wadesboro, NC

Honestly... I’m still in disbelief that a refinancing of a mortgage could be done so easy. My representative was very knowledgeable, effective and efficient. NBKC has made the process seamless and simple.