NBKC Bank (National Bank of Kansas City) is a full-service, FDIC-insured bank and an approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lender. The company’s consistently high volume of mortgage loans, low overhead costs, centralized operations, and advanced technology allow it to cut closing costs significantly.

NBKC currently has the best customer score among all reviewed mortgage lenders with an average overall score of 4.9/5 stars from verified customer reviews

Review Icon

Customer Review: Hank Speakman from Corpus Christi, Texas

"We recently refinanced through NBKC. We've had a number of mortgage transactions over the years but this was the best by far. Mark Q and the NBKC team were great to work with and always kept us informed on the status of the loan. Great rates, easy, friendly, and no surprises - what more could we ask for!"

Along with more than 20 years of mortgage lending experience, NBKC Bank offers borrowers: online lending nationwide  an easy and efficient online application process,  educational resources including 17 financial calculators, customized loan options, and excellent customer service reported by reviewers.

NBKC's purchase and refinance loan products include:

• Fixed-rate mortgages (offers rates for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms)
  • 5/1 ARMs (Adjustable Rate Mortgages)
  • FHA loans VA loans In addition to providing conventional
  • CDs
  • Personal loans
  • Auto loans
  • Recreational vehicle loans
  • Business loans and treasury solutions
  • HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans.

NBKC is partnered with Military Makeover, an organization that provides unique benefits to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces.

The Good

• Mortgage Rates
  • Available Nationwide
  • Great NBKC Mortgage Reviews
  • Discounts for Costco Members
  • Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process
  • Loan Types Available
  • Helpful Financial Calculators

Mortgage Rates

While mortgage rates can change daily and evenly hourly, the NBKC website provides instant illustrative chart data for any proposed mortgage loan. That way, prospective borrowers can get a feel for the mortgage rate, APR, payment P&I, and lender fees they can expect for a given loan amount, down payment, credit score, and location. Loan programs pictured include 30-year fixed, 15-year fixed, and 5/1 ARMs.

Available Nationwide

NBKC lending services are available in all 50 states due to the company's online mortgage lending model. Prospective borrowers who want to apply for loans can do so from the website, eliminating office wait times and travel costs.

Though the loan process takes place remotely for borrowers not local to NBKC's offices in Kansas and Missouri, borrowers can be confident they are being well taken care of: loan origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding all happen on-site.

Great NBKC Mortgage Reviews

NBKC is ranked as a top mortgage lender because it strives to always put its customers first. Nearly 95% of NBKC's mortgage reviews are five-star on Best Company. The top elements that make NBKC stand out from the competition are:

• Fast and responsive loan process
  • Transparent and frequent communication
  • Low interest rates
  • No surprise lender fees
  • User friendly technology

When 94% of NBKC's customers agree that they would recommend NBKC to a friend, you know its a company that should be high on your list of consideration for a home loan.

Discounts for Costco Members

NBKC charges low, flat origination fees across all loans except VA loans. Costco members with an Executive membership, Gold Star membership, or Business membership status receive discounts on NBKC's origination fee, whereas many other lenders do not offer any discounts off their lender fees.

It’s nice that in addition to access to Costco gas stations, cash-back rewards, and discount rewards, a Costco membership benefits you when you choose NBKC as one of its participating lenders through the Costco mortgage services program.

Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process

NBKC offers a simple four-step application process for mortgage loans:

1. Application — You can fill out the long or short loan application depending on how detailed you want to be.
  2. Document Delivery — Mortgage loan documents are delivered to you, then signed and returned to NBKC.
  3. Appraisal and Title Work — An appraisal is ordered and the bank works with you or your agent to ensure that title work is ordered.
  4. Closing — After documentation is received, an NBKC rep walks you through the final details and you close at a local title company or attorney's office.

Loan Types Available

• Fixed-rate mortgages make for easy budgeting since the monthly fees amount paid to your loan servicer is the same each month. A fixed-rate mortgage is not affected by fluctuating interest rates. NBKC offers fixed-rate mortgages for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms.
  • Adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs) work well for borrowers that plan to move or refinance before the end of the fixed-rate period, as your monthly mortgage payment may fluctuate after the end of the period according to changes in interest rate. NBKC offers 5/1 ARMs, which means the interest rate is fixed for the first five years of the loan, after which the interest rate can change annually.
  • FHA loans require less out-of-pocket cash than most conventional loans and can be obtained with a fair-to-good credit rating. For that reason, FHA loans may be an attractive option for borrowers that have dealt with financial hardship.
  • VA loans are for qualified U.S. veterans and service members and are backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. A VA home loan generally does not require a down payment.

Helpful Financial Calculators

NBKC Bank provides website visitors with 17 financial calculators that assist prospective home buyers taking inventory of their finances and estimating mortgage payments based on money available for a down payment, time, credit score, and other factors. These tools help you identify the right type of home loan for your particular situation. Here are the calculators:

• Mortgage Comparison: 15 Years vs. 30 Years
  • Fixed Rate Mortgage vs. Interest Only Mortgage
  • Fully Amortizing ARM vs. Interest Only ARM
  • Mortgage Points Calculator
  • Refinance Interest Savings
  • Determine ARM Payments
  • Determine Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)
  • Retirement Planner
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD) Calculator
  • College Savings
  • Maximum Mortgage Calculator
  • Net Worth Growth Potential

Most importantly, NBKC gives you today's mortgage rates when you fill out a simple form on the website that includes credit score (starting with excellent credit), what you will pay for the down payment, home location, and estimated home value.

The Bad

• Limited Office Locations
  • Mobile App Limitations

Limited Office Locations

Most work for NBKC is done online or over the phone because office locations are limited. NBKC has only three office locations: Overland Park, KS, Leawood, KS, and Kansas City, MO. This aspect may deter remote borrowers who feel more comfortable discussing their mortgage face-to-face.

Mobile App Limitations

In addition to mortgages, NBKC Bank offers personal online banking and business banking services including business loans, treasury solutions, credit card management, auto loans, home equity loans, savings and checking account services, and CDs. Most of these services can be managed on the NBKC Bank mobile app for both iOS and Android.

However, the mobile app is exclusively for the above banking services rather than for managing a loan, finding local realtors, or house hunting. A more all-inclusive app, or perhaps even a separate mortgage-focused app, would make borrowing from NBKC Bank even more convenient than it already is.

The Bottom Line

NBKC Bank provides several types of mortgages nationwide and utilizes a streamlined online application process for each mortgage program. Plus, origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding are all done on-site. The Costco member discounts are added perks.

Most significant, though, is the customer satisfaction evidenced by the NBKC mortgage reviews below. Overall, most customers speak highly of the company's loan officers and other representatives' attention to detail and customer care throughout the home buying process, confirming the company's excellent customer service.

Users give NBKC an average of 4.5/5 stars in all of our sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

If you're nervous about the prospect of purchasing a home loan online, know that NBKC Bank is equipped to provide you with a positive experience. From the efficiency of the application process to the personal service of its loan officers, this lender gets online mortgage lending right.

4.9

Annette

September 14th, 2020 Taunton, MA

Had a great experience working with Chad K on my refi. He was professional and was always quick to get back to me on any questions or issues that I had. I found Chad to be very easy to deal with and appreciated the help navigating through the process.

Jill Levy

September 10th, 2020 Tucson, AZ

I would absolutely recommend Barbara and NBKC. We did a refinancing and it was smooth as silk. Albert was extremely accommodating and responsive and walked us through the whole process. I absolutely would recommend her and the bank!

Keith Lorenz

August 25th, 2020 Spokane, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a great experience with Mark H as our loan officer. He was extremely knowledgeable, patient, and helpful. Our loan was processed quickly and efficiently, and we were very satisfied with the service we received. We would definitely recommend Mark as a loan officer.

Fr Ca

August 14th, 2020 Roxboro, NC

Zach was great! gave me great advice and everything went as planned!

Howard Wilkinson

August 6th, 2020 Chatsworth, CA

We accidentally stumbled across NBKC on the Costco website while searching for something else. I had no idea that Costco even had a mortgage program! Coincidentally, we had just started a refinance process for our home and were already quoting 4 other mortgage companies. Knowing that Costco always has great pricing and has developed excellent business affiliate programs with other industries, I clicked on the "mortgage" link, and up came NBKC Bank! After a quick scan of their clear, very straightforward and easy to navigate website, we added NBKC to our list of refi companies and completed their on-line application. Within no time, they became the front runner for our business, based on their excellent interest rates, low closing costs and responsiveness to our refinancing needs. We quickly finished their on-line process with e-document signing, and NBKC is now our new mortgage bank. However, and by far, the best part of doing business with NBKC was Jay R, our loan officer! Jay is a mortgage expert with an extensive knowledge base. He was easy going, honest, down to earth, and has great communication skills, always making himself available by phone or email to quickly answer questions or deal with issues. Due to our retired status and "limited" income, other lenders found out loan to be complicated. But Jay's detailed understanding of financial matters and loan formulas made qualifying logical and easy. Over the past 25 years, we had suffered through 5 refi's with other lenders, but Jay made this time a painless experience. We're very happy and lucky that the NBKC on-line process assigned Jay to be our loan officer. We definitely look forward to working with him for any future mortgage loan needs and have already referenced him and NBKC to our relatives and friends.

Mark Hanley

July 31st, 2020 Philadelphia, PA

The process takes a little longer than some. But it’s worth the wait. They are very thorough with paperwork so have all your paperwork in order. Chad was great helping me ,I got a great rate and reasonable closing costs. very happy !

Andres Escobar

July 29th, 2020 Richmond, TX

Great experience. Shawn D was always responsive and honest. I will definitely work with Shawn and with NBKC again. Thank!!

Steve

July 6th, 2020 Las Vegas, NV

Meet my expectations. My questions were addressed and the process was completed on time.

Avie Duong

July 6th, 2020 Gainesville, VA

We saw NBKC Bank on a Costco Mortgage Program. We decided to go with NBKC Bank because of their competitive low rate with the highest customers rating. We were pleased to be working with Jordan S as our Loan Officer. We must admit that at the time, we were shopping and comparing rates with another Mortgage Company. But with Jordan's experience, professionalism, patience, honesty and his no-game-playing attitude, we chose to go with NBKC Bank without any hesitation. Through our Rifi process, he was always there to answer no matter how trivial some of our questions seemed. Jordan, both Dean and I are thankful for all your help! Also, we greatly appreciate how you went above and beyond to assist us even after the process was completed. Kindest Regards, Dean and Avie

Peter Kallai

July 6th, 2020 Erie, CO

The process was easy and straight forward. We got a really good rate and the closing costs were very low compared to other banks out there!

Ryan Smith

June 29th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

The Loan Officer took time to explain the loan process is simple and concise terms that I could understand. The process went smoothly and the rates were great.

Cynthia Lete

June 29th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

We had a fantastic experience with NBKC and Chad K!! We left another lender in large part due to Chad’s customer service, great communication, and willingness to always take our calls and answer our questions. We recommend him to everybody!!

kevin schultz

June 27th, 2020 Vista, CA

Jackie R was very helpful. NBKC helped me refinance when no one else would.

Briant Mildenhall

June 25th, 2020 Mechanicsville, VA

Streamlined, user-friendly process. Kind.prompt and helpful service. Great to work with.

Alexander Kosin

June 24th, 2020 Alpharetta, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am a 1st time home buyer, and despite the whole process is pretty complex, I found all communication to be amazingly swift and smooth. NBKC offered us a great mortgage rate, and our agent, Ryan, managed to get to the closing even faster than we expected. I highly recommend Ryan A. He is very professional, responsive to all questions and inquiries, and simply a very nice person to talk to.

Lori

June 21st, 2020 Dowagiac, MI

Our loan agent (Lori) was quick to respond to any questions, which was quite helpful during a very busy time for securing mortgages. The title company indicated she was very easy to work with too!

Mario Manese

June 21st, 2020 Kansas City, MO

Mike Y responsiveness throughout the process was great. Use of digital documentation made reviewing them easy.

Ryan W.

June 19th, 2020 Daphne, AL

The NBKC provided me with a great mortgage experience. Matt H, my loan officer, was quick to process my loan application and closed a VA loan in 29 days. He was quick to answer my questions and helpful throughout the process. I would highly recommend them.

Andrew Z

June 18th, 2020 Long Beach, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Overall very straight forward and seamless while being easy to work with. I would have appreciated some more proactive updates instead of having to reach out but nonetheless everything went smoothly with no issues.

tom Greenwood

June 18th, 2020 Desert Hot Springs, CA

Robb W did a great job for us. Knowledgeable and friendly as well as always available. Great service!!

Nate Bertsch

June 17th, 2020 Lake Stevens, WA

Got a mortgage and they made it fairly simple!

Josh Adams

June 17th, 2020 Evanston, IL

Jordan made the process incredibly easy. He took the time to make sure I was fully informed and answered all my questions. I also really appreciate his promptness when I would email him with random questions that popped into my mind!

Dominik D

June 17th, 2020 San Mateo, CA

I had a great experience with NBKC bank. At first I was hesitant to go with a small internet lender but I was soon pleasantly surprised by the level of professionalism. My loan officer Steve was available to answer any questions. Most of the conversation went via text messages and email, which is what I preferred. Since this was my first refinance, I was a bit surprised when the estimate included 7 days of additional daily interest escrow for the existing Wells Fargo mortgage payoff. I learned that this was a standard practice in the industry and required by Wells Fargo. This escrow payment was refunded by Wells Fargo soon after closing. My servicing was handed over to Dovenmuehle, which appear to be in partnership with NBKC, and, as expected, Fannie Mae took over my mortgage. I highly recommend NBKC bank.

Jennifer H.

June 17th, 2020 ,

Excellent experience! Our loan officer, Cheryl K, was awesome to work with. The whole process was easy and efficient, and communication was always perfect. Thank you so much!

Cajie

June 17th, 2020 Homosassa, FL

Joe Z was very professional and quick about getting all the documents needed for a fast approval. Always getting back to us right away, answering all our questions. He was on top of things from the very beginning. Everything, all the numbers etc were just as he said they would be. Very trusting! We would highly recommend him.

Veronica G

June 17th, 2020 South San Francisco, CA

Mark was prompt to respond when we had questions throughout the refinance process. My husband and I are both healthcare workers and working off hours during the COVID-19 pandemic but Mark was very flexible with our schedules. We’re used to meeting with loan officers face to face and were initially concerned since the entire process was via telephone or online but Mark was knowledgeable, courteous, and approachable. He made us feel at ease. We highly recommend him and have told our coworkers to contact him for their mortgage needs.

Red

June 16th, 2020 Lewes, DE

Overall very good! I recommend the NBKC bank and Mr M for service and great rates. I have refinanced mortgages for over 35 years, probably between 10 to 15 times. This was by far the most pleasant and painless that the refinancing has been. I feel fortunate to have found your bank. Also I think this was the least expensive refinancing we have ever done. Mr M was most helpful and solicitous. He was not like several personality types I have regrettably experienced. I will keep his information and recommend him to others. I wish him the best. Robert Doordan

Derek Gudex

June 16th, 2020 Kansas City, MO

Keith was great to work with. He did a great job explaining the refinance process, was quick to respond to inquiries and always kept me posted on the status of the loan and certain steps I needed to take action on. The process was effortless on my end and we ended up saving thousands as we pay off our house.

T&L Novi

June 16th, 2020 Novi, MI

No fluctuation between the published interest rates and the quote we received once the process was initiated. Discussed our refinance needs with Ryan and he immediately set things in motion. No hidden costs and fees ended up being a bit less than originally expected. We processed everything on-line and the NBKC staff were able to get us to closing without any issues or delays. We would highly recommend the services they provide. Ryan was professional and easy to work with.

CC Ohio

June 15th, 2020 Pataskala, OH

The best experience I've ever had financing a house. Professional, digital, clear, fair and efficient. Very competitive terms.

Konakate

June 15th, 2020 Kailua-Kona, HI

Our loan officer, Paige M, was very professional and easy to communicate with. She walked us through the entire process, explaining details as needed. Very thorough and extremely easy. I recommend NBKC to anyone who wants to refinance their home.

Dennis O McLain

June 15th, 2020 Ypsilanti, MI

Brandon was great to work with! NBKC is fortunate to have him. He made the process smooth and transparent. Kept me informed all the way.

Kaustubh Sagdeo

June 15th, 2020 Oklahoma City, OK

What a painless experience refinancing our home with NBKC. Matt was responsive to any question within literally minutes. Just a phenomenal experience compared to other big banks.

dave

June 15th, 2020 Springfield, MA

Super easy refinance of my mortgage. My loan officer Keith A was extremely helpful and make it a painless process.

Dana Compton

June 15th, 2020 Leesburg, VA

Paige was amazing. She stepped in when my original loan officer suddenly (sadly) passed away and then took care of every detail.

Maria Rizzy

June 15th, 2020 Round Rock, TX

We worked with page for our home refinance, she was extremely patient and always available when we had questions, she would always get back to us promptly. We move a lot and have closed on 6 homes and have done 3 refinances. This has been our easiest and best experience. She is very knowledgeable, organized and a clear communicator which we appreciated. We trust her and will use her again in the future. I highly recommend Paige M knowing that she will give 110% to make sure things go smooth and get done on time.

Peter Stoimenov

June 13th, 2020 Santa Barbara, CA

My experience with NBKC Bank was stellar. The refinance I applied for was handled professionally, everything was done quickly and I got all my questions answered promptly and satisfactory. There is an excellent chance that if I need refinance again, they will be at the top of my list.

Jim kim

June 12th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

This has been the best experience for going through the loan process. Shawn has provided fast feedbacks and information that I have no complaints on the service or the process. The pre qualification web application has been the Use Experience I’ve seen. Great design!

Amber

June 12th, 2020 Pittsburgh, PA

Brandon was awesome! He is very knowledgeable and helpful when covering all the numbers involved in the refi process. I would recommend him & NBKC to anyone that would ever need a lender. Great experience!

Jason Armstrong

June 11th, 2020 Beaverton, OR

Beau B from NBKC Bank was great. Easy to contact, patient with the many questions I threw his way and fair in providing a deal on helping us refinance our property. He was personable and straightforward unlike the other 3 mortgage companies we also contacted with in our refinance journey to find the best experience. Thanks again Beau! Highly recommend this guy.

Marilyn Lowers

June 11th, 2020 Raleigh, NC

I appreciate the Amazing customer service provided by David B. David simplified our refinance experience through thorough explanations, accurate accounting, transparency of financial scenarios, and direct communication. David was always available throughout the refinancing process. I highly recommend NBKC Bank and loan officer David Burroughs.

Kenneth A Schoenborn

June 11th, 2020 North Richland Hills, TX

Great job Kevin! Even though I required complete understanding of the refinance process, Kevin was always willing to work through and answer my questions. SUCCESS IS WHEN BOTH PARTIES COME AWAY A WINNER!!!

Russell Taylor

June 11th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

NBKC bank, and loan officer Joe Z, in particular, were highly responsive and easy to work with. All paperwork, including the closing, were handled online. We are delighted with our new rate and all aspects of our refinance with NBKC!

Kevin Souder

June 11th, 2020 Irwin, PA

Fast and efficient. Great service that never felt pushy. Trevor was great.

David Whitehead

June 10th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

Great experience working with NBKC bank. The entire process was handled very efficiently and pain free. The questions we had along the way were answered promptly and accurately.

Tim Schumacher

June 10th, 2020 Littleton, CO

I was blown away by the responsiveness of Robert. If we had a question, we'd receive responses within a few hours even if we sent the question in the evening or morning. Everything was straight-forward and there we no surprises. It felt like we received white-glove treatment every step of the way.

Sendi Sanchez

June 10th, 2020 Ojai, CA

I recently refinance through NBKC bank.I was a little skeptical since everything was online. I trusted to go with them because Costco recommended them.I did some minor research on the bank and also on the loan consultant and everything seemed to check out so I went through with it. Scott A my loan representative was great. He was very informative and receptive to all my questions. My loan was funded today and so far everything seems good. My first mortgage payment will be next month so we’ll see how everything else goes.

skarre

June 10th, 2020 Apex, NC

Prompt responses. Clear info on costs. Great Experience!

Doug Steele

June 10th, 2020 Murrieta, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service and good communication. Low fees for home loan.

Ginger Rudisill

June 10th, 2020 Upland, CA

Efficient, friendly and a joy to work with. It was an effortless process and Herb was helpful and overall a delightful guy to work with.