NBKC Bank (National Bank of Kansas City) is a full-service, FDIC insured national bank and an approved Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lender.

It currently has the best customer score among all reviewed mortgage lenders with an average overall score of 4.9/5 stars from verified customer reviews

Along with more than 25 years of mortgage lending experience, NBKC Bank offers borrowers:

• online lending nationwide
  • an easy and efficient online application process,
  • educational resources including 17 financial calculators,
  • customized loan options, and
  • excellent customer service reported by reviewers.

The company’s consistently high volume of mortgage loans, low overhead costs, centralized operations, and advanced technology allow it to cut customer costs significantly.

NBKC's purchase and refinance loan products include:

• Fixed rate mortgages (offers rates for 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-year terms)
  • 5/1 ARM (Adjustable Rate Mortgages)
  • FHA loans
  • VA loans

NBKC is partnered with Military Makeover, an organization that provides unique benefits to men and women who have served in the U.S. armed forces. In addition to home loans, NBKC Bank offers credit cards, online checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, personal loans, auto loans, recreational vehicle loans, business loans and treasury solutions, and HELOC (home equity line of credit) loans.

The Good

• Available Nationwide
  • Discounts for Costco Members
  • Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process
  • Loan Types Available
  • Helpful Financial Calculators

Available Nationwide

NBKC lending services are available in all 50 states due to the company's online presence. Prospective borrowers who want to apply for loans can do so from the website, eliminating office wait times and travel costs.

Though the loan process takes place remotely for borrowers not local to NBKC's offices in Kansas and Missouri, borrowers can be confident they are being well taken care of: loan origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding all happen on-site.

Discounts for Costco Members

NBKC charges low, flat origination fees across all loans except VA loans. Costco members with an Executive membership, Gold Star membership, or Business membership status receive discounts on NBKC's origination fee, whereas many other lenders do not offer any discounts off their lender fees.

It’s nice that in addition to access to Costco gas stations, cash-back rewards, and discount rewards, a Costco membership benefits you when you choose NBKC as one of its participating lenders through the Costco mortgage services program.

Simple Mortgage Loan Application Process

NBKC offers a simple four-step application process for mortgage loans:

1. Application — You can fill out the long or short loan application depending on how detailed you want to be.
  2. Document Delivery — Mortgage loan documents are delivered to you, then signed and returned to NBKC.
  3. Appraisal and Title Work — An appraisal is ordered and the bank works with you or your agent to ensure that title work is ordered.
  4. Closing — After documentation is received, an NBKC rep walks you through the final details and you close at a local title company or attorney's office.

Loan Types Available

• NBKC's fixed-rate mortgages, also known as conventional mortgages make for easy budgeting since the monthly fees amount paid to your loan servicer is the same each month and is not affected by fluctuating interest rates
  • ARMs (adjustable-rate mortgages) work well for borrowers that plan to move or refinance before the end of the fixed-rate period
  • FHA loans require less out-of-pocket cash than most conventional loans and can be obtained with a fair-to-good credit rating
  • VA loans do not require a down payment and are for qualified U.S. veterans and service members

Helpful Financial Calculators

NBKC Bank provides website visitors with 17 financial calculators that assist prospective home buyers taking inventory of their finances and estimating mortgage payments based on money available for a down payment, time, credit score, and other factors. These tools help you identify the right type of home loan for your particular situation. Here are the calculators:

• Mortgage Comparison: 15 Years vs. 30 Years
  • Fixed Rate Mortgage vs. Interest Only Mortgage
  • Fully Amortizing ARM vs. Interest Only ARM
  • Mortgage Points Calculator
  • Refinance Interest Savings
  • Determine ARM Payments
  • Determine Required Minimum Distribution (RMD)
  • Retirement Planner
  • Certificate of Deposit (CD) Calculator
  • College Savings
  • Maximum Mortgage Calculator
  • Net Worth Growth Potential

Mortgage rates change daily, even hourly, but NBKC gives you today's mortgage rates when you fill out a simple form on the website that includes credit score (starting with excellent credit), what you will pay for the down payment, home location, and estimated home value.

The Bad

• Limited Office Locations
  • Mobile App Limitations

Limited Office Locations

Most work for NBKC is done online or over the phone because office locations are limited. NBKC has only three office locations: Overland Park, KS, Leawood, KS, and Kansas City, MO. This aspect may deter remote borrowers who feel more comfortable discussing their mortgage face-to-face.

Mobile App Limitations

In addition to mortgages, NBKC Bank offers personal online banking and business banking services including business loans, treasury solutions, credit card management, auto loans, home equity loans, savings and checking account services, and CDs. Most of these services can be managed on the NBKC Bank mobile app for both iOS and Android.

However, the mobile app is exclusively for the above banking services rather than for managing a loan, finding local realtors, or house hunting. A more all-inclusive app, or perhaps even a separate mortgage-focused app, would make borrowing from NBKC Bank even more convenient than it already is.

The Bottom Line

NBKC Bank provides several types of mortgages nationwide and utilizes a streamlined online application process for each mortgage program. Plus, origination, processing, underwriting, closing, and funding are all done on-site. The Costco member discounts are added perks.

Most significant, though, is the customer satisfaction evidenced by the NBKC mortgage reviews below. Customers speak highly of the company's loan officers and other representatives' attention to detail and customer care throughout the home buying process, confirming the company's excellent customer service.

Users give NBKC an average of 4.5/5 stars in all of our sentiment criteria:

• Value for your money
  • Quality of product or service
  • Customer service
  • Company trustworthiness

If you're nervous about the prospect of purchasing a home loan online, know that NBKC Bank is equipped to provide you with a positive online experience.

Call our recommended rep over at NBKC Bank below.

4.9

John K
August 7th, 2019 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Horrible experience on my jumbo refinance. Started smooth, then Vic DeSantis my "loan originator" told me I had to buy a Costco membership for $250. After my appraisal was paid for suddenly they need to see more cash for reserves. Not an extra 2000 or 3000, but $28k. I sell some stuff and have the $28k in about ten days, but a few days later, they want to see $50k cash. No explanation on why. Vic goes on vacation, rates drop, but I'm stuck with my current loan as NBKC has no rate guarantee. I need to pay $13k in points, which would have been covered by the rate drop. I tell Vic I'm willing to wait 30 days to avoid paying the points, and he doesn't respond to me for over a Week. I'm being told by NBKC to NOT pay my mortgage as my loan is in the final stage of underwriting at this time. After this long wait with no answers to my emails or voicemails, Vic drops me a 1-liner email telling me he "did the best he could" but I need to show $300k+ cash reserves and he can't make a deal work. This is fifty (50) days into the refinance process, when I've jumped through every hoop and paid every bill NBKC has asked me to. Yes, I'm self-employed, yes it's an expensive house, but keep in mind, I have over 40% equity in my home, I have solid tax returns easily showing I can afford the home, and I have owned my own business since 2011. Also, none of these facts NBKC keeps "discovering" were hidden, they were provided before NBKC even ordered the appraisal. What a giant waste of time and money, worse still, I had been comparing 3 loan Companies and ditched the other two, after all three ran my credit. Now I get to start over with a fresh round of hard credit pulls, because Vic DeSantis is too lazy to know his own bank's policies. Ironically, Vic won me over by claiming the other vendors were less than reputable.

MARY KIRKPATRICK
January 29th, 2019 Reston, VA

Pete S was an awesome mortgage broker...he helped us move fast and came out on top of 5 other lenders who could not compete with their offer. We will work with NBKC again, next time around.

Anya
July 24th, 2018 Silver Spring, MD

I was pleased to have come across this bank when I was searching for a mortgage lender. The service I received from Kevin K was phenomenal. He took the time to make sure I received the best service and made sure anything that I didn't understand was explained to me. I'm very grateful to have met Kevin and would choose him again if I ever needed a mortgage in the future.

Nick Schnepf
July 18th, 2018 Kent, WA

Pete was awesome! He was very diligent about reaching out right away and was able to get us closed our house much faster than we anticipated. I would recommend NBKC to anyone. The rates you were able to achieve were better than our previous lender.

Denise L
July 12th, 2018 Cheyenne, WY

How do I even start. My husband and I were very pleased with Steve M., our loan officer, professionalism and great customer service. We sent all the required info and Steve took care of the rest. We had no issues at closing and everything was taken care of beforehand. Thank you for helping us secure our mortgage.

Angie Sydow
July 12th, 2018 Argyle, TX

Very quick, reliable and informative. The BEST rate out there.

Sunny Virk
July 11th, 2018 Huntington Station, NY DETAILS

Excellent bank to deal with regards to any mortgage needs! I had a great experience working with loan Officer Maggie, who did few loans for me for multi-family investment properties.

bill
July 11th, 2018 Arroyo Grande, CA

It was a very easy process of lending. Our loan officer, Kevin, was quite knowledgeable, helpful and always available to answer questions and concerns.

Bret D Cannon & Cheryl Cannon
July 11th, 2018 Richland, WA DETAILS

I learned of NBKC bank through Costco's Mortgage program and I found they offer us the best combination of interest rate and fees. The loan officer we worked with, Scott C, was excellent to work with being very responsive and helpful.

John Conlon
July 11th, 2018 Snoqualmie, WA DETAILS

Despite a screw-up by the appraisal company, Joy M and NBKC did an outstanding job getting our mortgage done and closed on time.

Trevor Mcclain
July 11th, 2018 South Holland, IL

The process was easy, simple and quick. The communication was great. All of my questions and concerns were answered. I truly commend the process

Sudhir P
July 11th, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

NBKC has one of the best rates around and Nick made the entire process as smooth as can be! His customer service was also top-notch!

Jordan Edwards
July 9th, 2018 Enterprise, AL DETAILS

As first time homebuyers, we absolutely recommend Jeff H and NBKC Bank. Jeff took the time to explain the entire home buying process to us. In a transaction where a lot of parties have financial incentive to funnel you to their products, Jeff was a trustworthy resource that explained all the options we had available to us and did not pressure us in any particular direction. Additionally, Jeff was available anytime that we needed him - day, evening, or weekend. We submitted our offer on Memorial Day weekend and Jeff was immediately available to help clarify all the details and draft us a custom pre-approval letter. Without Jeff's industry expertise we would have never been able to confidently navigate the home buying process. Jeff also locked us in at an extraordinarily low interest rate! NBKC and Jeff H is our recommendation to any home buyers!

Chad
July 9th, 2018 Cumming, GA

NBKC was great to work with and the Loan Officer who awesome. I would recommend them to anyone who wants fast service and competitive rates.

Laurence Woods
July 9th, 2018 Bremerton, WA

Mike Y of NBKC Bark was incredible to work with and I would highly recommend anyone seeking lending services to start with him. He was impressively responsive and professional, and met all of our needs. Amazing!

Christine Lefebvre
July 6th, 2018 South Portland, ME DETAILS

Laura W was extremely helpful and attentive to my needs. I would highly recommend her.

John
July 6th, 2018 Cypress, TX DETAILS

Efficient and responsive throughout the loan process. Loan officer provided excellent service.

CP n /suzanne Goodrich
July 6th, 2018 Eagle River, AK

We have bee3n thorugh numerous finance and re-finance experiences over the years. None are pleasant, none easy, most exceedinghlys exasoerating - yet Scott and NBKC were asonishingly quick, congenial, proficient, effecient and thougtful. Scott made us feel as if he were our best friend and neighbour who just happened to be in the finance business. He was nothing short of fabulous. Thanks you Craig and Suzanne

Jenn Osborne
July 6th, 2018 Niceville, FL DETAILS

We had a great experience with NBKC Bank! We used them to purchase our first home. They have very competitive rates for mortgage loans. We worked with Keith and he was very knowledable, helpful and worked quickly. We would recommend NBKC and more specifically, Keith, to everyone!! Thanks again!! ~Aaron & Jenn

Harold Heck
July 6th, 2018 Nampa, ID DETAILS

Brett was very responsive to all of our questions and was always very quick to respond and take our calls taking much of the stress out of the homebuying process. I would highly recommend to anyone.

Sarah Lawson
July 6th, 2018 New Haven, CT

Jordan was incredibly helpful and quick to respond. He found us an excellent interest rate, which we were very happy with.

Michael Duong
July 6th, 2018 Orlando, FL

Overall good service. Received a great initial rate but when we backed out on an offer we could no longer take advantage of the initial rate when we finally found the right house for us. We were issued a new rate based on current rates. This was quite disappointing.

Jack
July 6th, 2018 Franklin, TN

Exceeded expectations Chad was awesome through the entire mortgage process. He was very knowledgeable and responsive and kept everything moving along, putting us in the best position possible to close within 30 days and with a fantastic interest rate. He was actually able to beat several other lenders offers. You wouldn’t have to waste your time shopping around because they were the best! I was very impressed with his prompt replies even on the weekends and later night. I highly recommend Chad to anyone.

Edward Koschalk
July 6th, 2018 Greenacres, WA

Mike L and the rest of the team were excellent! Throughout our entire process to refinance our home he was was responsive and extremely helpful. We were kept up to date daily - sometimes multiple times a day - and he walked us through each step seamlessly. Everything went smooth, was completed faster than we expected, and we couldn’t be happier with our experience. We highly recommend NBKC Bank and Mike L!

Mike
July 6th, 2018 Omaha, NE DETAILS

Fantastic service! Cannot thank them enough. Steve P was great to work with. He was very organized and in constant communication. Was surprised at how easy everything was. The mortgage process was by far the least stressful part of the home buying experience for me. Would use and recommend NBKC in a heartbeat.

David Apel
July 6th, 2018 Louisville, KY

Brad goes over and above the call of duty. Whenever I left a phone call, which was most likely more often than the average customer he responded VERY promptly. The night that I was deciding between MBKC and a competitor, Brad got up at 6 am the next morning to lock in my rate before they went up THAT day. Honestly, the rate and the monthly payment with a local lender here in Louisville was the same. But the other lender had gotten a bit testy with me on a previous property. I still told Brad that I was going to go with the cheaper lender, whichever that was. I might also add that my realtor here wanted me to go with the local lender that he knew personally. I told Brad that night when he talked with me that if he could equal the rate I was going with him. It just so happens that I originally from the KC/Olathe area. In fact, my parents lived about a mile from Brad's house. Brad took time to make personal connections as well. I had professional service but also felt like I made a friend. I felt this way so much so that I even stopped into the Stateline Office to meet Brad when I was in town seeing my mother. I could not be happier with NBKC. You have a great asset in Brad Pointer!

Beatriz C. Lezameta-Medina
July 6th, 2018 Canyon Country, CA

I had a great experience and I was able to refinance my loan and get out of debt thanks to Bret A. He was able to answer all my questions and guide me through the whole process.

Evan Daniels
July 6th, 2018 Kuna, ID DETAILS

Steve P provided unmatched customer service and walked us through the whole home buying process. He was invaluable in my wife’s and I first home purchase. He was courteous and punctual with all questions and requests for information. In the future we would want to use no one else for the next homebuying process. Thank you Steve and NKBC.

Melba Biri
July 6th, 2018 Leesburg, FL

Cheryl was really helpful and she keep me updated on the loan and helped me find things on the computer. I think Cheryl is a wonderful person.

Laurel Shonerd
July 6th, 2018 Dacula, GA DETAILS

I applied for a home loan from NBKC bank through Costco. My agent Travis contacted me immediately by phone. After that Travis refused to call me when I called and e-mailed him asking him to call me. Travis was very unclear about what was needed to close the loan, and a few times when I asked him to clarify he admitted that he didn't know. Before making my first payment on the loan I received a letter from NBKC bank notifying me that my loan had been sold to Wells Fargo. I know that loans are often bought and sold, but didn't realize it would happen immediately and to a bank that I do not trust. Because of my poor experience with this agent and the company I would not recommend NBKC bank to anyone and I will not use them again in the future.

Mohammad Abdallah
July 6th, 2018 Katy, TX DETAILS

It has been a pleasure working with our loan officer, Kelli K, over the eight months it took us to buy our house. She has been present, patient, and responsive through the entire process. I don't think it has ever taken any longer than 10 minutes for her to answer a question by email, weekdays, weekends, and night.

Katherine
July 6th, 2018 Saint Charles, MO

Everything was good until after the appraisal was completed. Then, for some unknown reason, the whole process seemed to stall. We waited almost a month to close after everything needed to make the decision was completed.

Hong Nguyen
July 6th, 2018 Arlington, TX

Brandon was excellent in getting the loan. Everything was clear, detailed and on time. Thank you Brandon for the wonderful experience with NBKC Bank.

Gianna
July 6th, 2018 Dallas, TX

Great service! Beau was always prompt, organized, and helpful. Everything was on time, and we had a stress-free closing. Thank you so much! We love our new home!

Nicholas Martin
July 6th, 2018 Napa, CA

Donna M was excellent. Kept us on track and got us our home!

Sara Alves
July 6th, 2018 Sault Ste. Marie, MI

Cheryl K was our agent for our first time home purchase, and we could not be more impressed. She was punctual, kind, and helpful throughout the whole process (even making sure we closed on time despite having family illness to attend with). Ever thoughtful and polite, she was the most pleasant component of the whole closing process and I enjoyed working with her immensely.

Ricardo Morris
July 2nd, 2018 San Bernardino, CA

After being overcharged by another lender while in the process of purchasing a home, I went on a search and found NBKC and Brandon G. Not only were we given a better interest rate and reasonable fees but excellent customer service and someone who goes above and beyond for his customers. We are grateful for Brandon and his great work ethic.

Dan Milton
July 2nd, 2018 Kent, WA DETAILS

When I decided to use Costco to find a mortgage company, NBKC came highly recommended by a family member. Working online and over the phone made me a bit nervous, but the experience was very simple and straightforward. Mike communicated frequently and made sure to answer all of my questions. The seller was in a rush to close and we were able to close in 3 weeks! I have nothing but great things to say about my experience with Mike and NBKC!!

Jeffrey Ferris
July 2nd, 2018 Kihei, HI

Our realtor here is Hawaii recommended we find a local lender as Hawaii does things a little differently than the mainland. We stumbled onto NBKC Bank as one of the preferred lenders for Costco members with fees that would save us hundreds of dollars compared to the local lenders. Our loan officer Laura W. told us they have done many loans in Hawaii and not to worry. Well she was right. Laura stayed in contact with us through the whole process which was on a fast track to close in 30 days. She was fantastic and we would highly recommend her and NBKC Bank to anyone looking for a great lender.

Jason Shriver
July 2nd, 2018 Fort Worth, TX DETAILS

Joe Z. was great to work. I will definitely come back for future business

Neil
July 2nd, 2018 Lake Forest, CA

Brett has been very thorough, detailed, helpful throughout the process. He was prompt to answer my queries and provide information in a timely manner. Excellent work ethics!!!

Deborah Alberti
July 2nd, 2018 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS

We honestly could not have been more please with the service we received from NBKC. Our mortgage process was simpler and easier than we ever imagined it could be. Lisa T., our loan officer made the experience a joy as she responded to our questions quickly and made us aware of everything we were going to need and facilitated a smooth path to owning our new home!!

Raul A Perez
July 2nd, 2018 Katy, TX

Mike L. was top notch explaining with detail the entire process and was always available to clarify questions along the way. I am pleased with NBCK and would recommend to anyone.

Josiah Johnstone
June 29th, 2018 Lacey, WA DETAILS

I've had three different mortgages throughout my military career. First Wells Fargo, second USAA, and finally NBKC. I won't be considering or recommending any other lender in the future, but NBKC. Their rates and customer service far exceeded any other bank I worked with.

Steven R Jensen
June 29th, 2018 Escondido, CA

Joy M.l went over and above to get our loan done. The loan was an exchange on a nonowner condo in Arizona. NBKC bank kept their commitment on the loan rate and terms. They overcame an incompetent HOA and appraisal process. I would highly recommend Joy M. and NBKC bank for your next loan.

Curtis Kindred
June 28th, 2018 Corpus Christi, TX DETAILS

Kelli K. is the best day n the business for my money. This is my third or fourth home loan over the last two decades with her and I won’t shop anywhere else!

Oscar J. Mauricio
June 28th, 2018 Cypress, TX

Mark H. was outstanding in his Customer Service skills in helping us through the process, primary of which was the excellent and very timely communications we had, towards making the closing of our loan in an expedited time frame.

Jason
June 28th, 2018

Scott A. was extremely attentive and very quick to answer any questions; even on off hours and weekends. We’ve already recommended him to another buyer who is also using Scott to purchase their home. We can’t say enough good things about him and hope our future referrals will show our appreciation. Thanks again Scott!

Timothy Streets
June 28th, 2018 Kearney, MO DETAILS

NBKC Bank and Damian H. made our mortgage loan process as easy as possible for us and everyone involved. He was always in communication when we had questions. He was willing to work with us and feel like he was invested in helping us find the best path for us to get into our new home. Thank you!

Lynne
June 28th, 2018 Newhall, CA

CHOOSE THIS BANK!! Save time and energy by choosing NBKC - Responsive, honest, accurate. Great rates. Best finance experience. Worked with Steve M. Found bank through Costco after dealing with several banks/brokers who engaged in games (bait and switch, “this is your best rate” - would only reduce if I found a lower rate elsewhere, would say online list had an error, couldn’t honor their rate online, would provide papers with a higher rate than discussed, etc.) just go with NBKC who honored rates showing online, provided better deal, answered calls quickly and closed quickly. Painless. Will recommend and refer others.