Freedom Mortgage Logo

Freedom Mortgage

Is This Your Business?

4.9

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender that is licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

The company's goal is to help customers achieve the American dream of home ownership with a particular focus on helping veterans receive affordable home financing. Veterans should make sure to look into the specialty loan products, such as the VA interest rate reduction refinance loan (IRRRL) which makes refinancing easy, simple and affordable compared to industry standards.

In addition to veterans, Freedom Mortgage makes it easy for nearly any kind of homebuyer to find the right loan product. It offers a variety of home loan options:

• Conventional loan
  • Correspondent lending
  • Wholesale service
  • Refinancing
  • Cash-out refinancing

If you want to see what customers have said about their loan process with Freedom Mortgage, check out the customer reviews below.

search

Highlight: Freedom Mortgage awards and accolades*

• #1 VA lender in the nation
  • #1 FHA lender lender in the nation
  • Top residential lender in the nation

*Awarded by Inside Mortgage Finance, Jan-Sept 2020.

The Good

• Refinancing Options
  • Eagle Eye Pledge
  • VA Loan Benefits
  • FHA Insured Loans
  • Mortgage Calculators
  • Mortgage Payment Assistance

Refinancing Options

Freedom Mortgage offers refinancing services to help homeowners pay off a loan sooner, reduce a loan term and monthly mortgage payments, or get a lower interest rate. The company's site has a helpful chart showing the difference between a conventional refinance, VA loan refinance, and FHA loan refinance.

Both the VA loan refinance process and FHA loan refinance process involve less documentation and no appraisal. In addition, the VA loan refinance actually has a special program, unique to Freedom Mortgage, called a VA interest rate reduction refinance loan or a VA IRRRL. This speciality refinance loan guarantees less documentation, quicker closing times, lower rates, low funding fees, better rates and more. A great deal for veterans that are looking to refinance their home loan.

In addition, Cash-out refinancing, is available to qualifying borrowers who want to get cash out from their home's equity to pay off high-interest debt, consolidate bills, make home improvements, or pay for a major expense. This does take more time and additional paperwork. Private mortgage insurance, loan-to-value ratio limits, and loan restrictions may apply.

Eagle Eye Pledge

The company has a unique program, called the Eagle Eye Pledge, that works actively to save you money. This monitoring program contacts you about interest rate, home equity, and promotional changes that you may be able to take advantage of.

For example, Freedom Mortgage will contact you if interest rates drop and you can benefit from a lower your monthly payment. It will also let you know if the value of your home increases, giving you access to more cash through a larger home equity loan or home equity line of credit (HELOC).

In comparison to other mortgage lenders, a very small percentage of them actively update you on ways to reduce your mortgage rate and mortgage payment, making Freedom Mortgage stand apart from the competition. If you are buying a house at a time when the market has uncharacteristically high interest rates, then you can feel peace of mind knowing that Freedom Mortgage will contact you in the future if you qualify for a lower mortgage rate.

VA Loan Benefits

Freedom Mortgage claims to provide exceptional customer service to people who have served in the U.S. armed forces. Backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VA loans help service men and women achieve homeownership with a 0 percent down payment. With VA loans, there is no private mortgage insurance, no minimum credit score, and rates are low. The company's VA affordability and refinance calculators assist prospective borrowers as they compare loan amounts and details. Plus, veterans can re-use this benefit multiple times.

As mentioned earlier, the VA IRRRL is another huge bonus to being a veteran who qualifies for a loan with Freedom Mortgage. If you are a veteran and meet Freedom Mortgage's qualifications, it is a great option to consider due to the specialty veteran programs that it offers. Not all mortgage lenders cater to veterans with so many homeownership products and promotions like Freedom Mortgage.

FHA Insured Loans

It is typical for many mortgage lenders to offer FHA insurance home loans as one of its services. Freedom Mortgage has FHA loans available which are widely popular among first time homebuyers and other low income potential homebuyers. Below is a list of the qualifications for its FHA insurance loans:

• Minimum credit score of 540
  • Minimum down payment of 3.5%
  • Low PMI rates
  • Debt-to-income ratio must be below 43%
  • Steady employment history

Mortgage Calculators

Freedom Mortgage provides two helpful calculators to see how much you can afford on a new loan or how much you can save through refinancing a loan:

• Mortgage Affordability calculator
  • Refinance calculator

These are helpful features because Freedom Mortgage does not provide a specific interest rate range or loan terms, since both are reliant upon your personal circumstances.

Mortgage Payment Assistance

If you are unable to make your mortgage payment, it is your responsibility to contact Freedom Mortgage as soon as possible and work with your loan officer to find the best solution for you.

Through your Freedom Mortgage account you can easily download and submit a Hardship request online. Based on your individual circumstances, and provided information and documentation, there may be programs and solutions available to you for either a temporary period or long-term.

It is unclear exactly what programs and solutions Freedom Mortgage provides, such as forbearance, but there is assistance available.

The Bad

• More Info Needed
  • Freedom Mortgage Reviews

More Info Needed

More information is needed to see how Freedom Mortgage stacks up against other mortgage companies regarding eligibility, closing costs, and interest rates.

For example, we can’t make an estimate for an interest rate with our control scenario because the monthly payments calculators on the company’s website have you enter in your own interest rate. However, the default interest rate is listed as 4.6 percent, so we assume that is the rate borrowers with excellent credit can expect.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

Upon comparing 75 customer reviews for Freedom Mortgage, over half of the reviews were one-star reviews. Many of the negative reviews point to similar issues. Some of the most common complaints from these one-star reviews include:

• Poor customer service
  • Unclear guidelines and loan terms
  • A general lack of transparency
  • Issues with escrow accounts

However, it should be noted that the sample size of these customer reviews is fairly small so make sure to get both sides of the story before making a final decision.

The Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage's Eagle Eye Pledge demonstrates the company's commitment to doing what is best for the customer. Very few companies willingly provide information that will lower a customer's payment once a rate has been locked in.

Homeowners have enough on their plates without needing to continue to track interest rates and home equity and so the company does the work for them.

However, the majority of our Freedom Mortgage reviews from consumers do not speak very well about the quality of the company's customer service.

If you are considering this company for your home loan you should get more detailed information from a company representative regarding the terms of each loan type before making your decision.

View Best Mortgage Companies

2.4

Aakash Chawda Canton, MI

Freedom Mortgage is probably the worst company we've ever dealt with in our lives. Our loan was sold to them. They contacted us about refinancing with a deal that was too good to be true last October. We decided to move forward with the refinance. For months, every week or so, we would be contacted by a completely different "customer advocate" about how our loan process was just awaiting some last steps before it went to underwriting. LITERALLY six months had gone by with different "customer advocates" passing the buck, telling us that the loan was still on the final steps. My credit had TWO hard inquiries made because this was taking so long, each inquiry was expiring. They also kept asking for paystubs every month. After we finally expressed concern, we were told we'd be contacted back. Then we were never called back. We went with a different company and were able to complete our refinance in under a month. Freedom Mortgage is a complete and utter joke. There is no excuse for any of the issues we had with them and anticipate the company will go under. Good riddance when it does.

Carl Morrell Raleigh, NC

The whole process to refinance my home was flawless even during the pandemic. From the approval to the signing date, the process was smooth and fast. I would recomend this company to anyone looking to get a new mortgage or are refinancing for a better rate.

April lemus Baytown, TX

Our mortgage was sold to Freedom Mortgage about 10 years ago & we’ve never had any issues until we did the streamline refinance November 2020. We only refinanced because of the low interest rates & the dramatic decrease in our monthly payment. Every since we refinanced it’s been a nightmare. We have escrow & Freedom Mortgage is failing to pay the taxes. They paid the Mud taxes December 2020 but failed to pay the property & school taxes. I’ve been calling every month for 5 months & it’s not paid. The taxes go up 13% each month. I not only get letters from the tax office, I get a ton of junk mail for help with my taxes. They finally paid the school taxes last month but have not paid the property taxes which are now 6 months late. I did the calculations & I’m going to have a major escrow shortage which would explain why my refinanced mortgage is so much cheaper than my original mortgage. I paid all those refinance fees for nothing. Stay clear of Freedom Mortgage especially the refinancing. It’s a scam.

Siren Gita Puyallup, WA

SCAMMY SCAMMY SCAMMY. They bought our loan and have been a nightmare ever since. They appear to have lost a class action suit on things they are still doing to us, like the constant robocalling and spam advertising...now we are trying to refi with another company and they are flat out refusing to sign the paperwork and are simulataneously begging us to refi through them. They have bombarded us with dead trees and emails and wont stop even through we have asked them dozens of times at this point. They are horrible and they will not let you go without a fight, even if you never agreed to doing business with them in the first place.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

They have good communication with their clients. They were easy to contact during the lockdown. They were willing to work with clients when money got tight.

kristopher dean Blue Springs, MO

Terrible service, terrible professionalism. I’ve been with them for 5 years and luckily never had to really call in. I have a 260k loan that I’m trying to bump up to 370k doing a cash out refinance and then get another loan for a new property for 350k to 400k. I’ve called in 5 times over the last 48 hours to do a cash out refinance on my loan and talk about getting a new loan for another property. I kept getting routed to the streamline refinancing department and as soon as the sales agent finds out I’m not interested in that product, the service turns to garbage and they don’t care about getting me to the proper department or providing any help at all... they literally act like they could care less and I’ve been their customer for the last 5-6 years now. I was transferred numerous times to a dead line or a line asking for their internal state codes or just disconnected. One guy got an attitude with me and cursed at me as he hung up on me because I didn’t want an fha streamline loan. I finally got to talk to the right department today and after being on the phone for for over 20 minutes, going over everything I’m trying to accomplish, the line disconnects and the guy doesn’t even call me back. There’s no accountability or service.

KRose 7 Minneapolis, MN

The money in our escrow was supposed to be paid to the applicable parties in December 2020. We started a refi in February of 2021, and closed in March. Shortly after, we got a notice from the tax assessor that our taxes were delinquent. After doing some research, we found out that Freedom Mortgage didn't pay the taxes in December like they should have been! In fact, they took the escrow money, and used it in our refi loan. Never once did they disclose that. Now we have to make our house payment, and pay back the escrow that should have paid our taxes! This company is a bunch of crooks.

R Tampa, FL

Worst experience ever and it's happened multiple times. My mortgage got sold to these idiots and I sold my house back in 2020 and trying to get to talk with anyone who can email me a copy of my payoff letter is so difficult. Supervisor# 2161 lied said it would be to me in the hour ha!! Didn't happen ....called back nd said it would be there the end of business day today see if they actually do it. I'm gonna guess they won't. I'll be making another phone call tomorrow. It's 2021 And your telling me I can't get a simple email with a payoff letter ? I've wasted over 2 hrs trying to get someone to do their job. Save your sanity go elsewhere.

Gordon Cooke Derry, NH

Absolutely the WORST customer service I have had in 20+ years of owning homes. They asked me to refi, I started the process and then the "fun" began. My "customer advocate" would not return phone calls or emails, when I escalated to the "customer success manager" they cc'd the first person that I was having issues with, ignored everything about the customer experience and just asked for the paperwork that was needed. Screw them, if there were negative ratings available I would do so.

Sanddyy Coatesville, PA

If I could give zero stars I would. I chose to move forward with Freedom Mortgage for my Refi because they held my current loan and promised me a quick and stress free closing of 30-45 days max. It has been 3 months since I started the process and I am still not closed. They have lied to me over and over again along the way. And they seem to be doing everything in their power to ensure I do not close despite receiving my loan approval. After they approved my loan they told me I needed to wait 10 days to close. I reluctantly scheduled a closing and the day before the closing was scheduled for they emailed my title company to let me know I will not be closing because of a logistical error. They told the title company (who would be the one to handle my closing) that I would need to reschedule. No one from Freedom Mortgage ever reached out to me about the matter. I spent over 5 hours on the phone with them to try to get answers about the closing and every person gave me a different explanation as to why I could not close the following day (all of which were lies because I ahem documentation showing that their statements are false). No manager ever called me back. Everyone I spoke with said they would figure it out and get back to me. No word. Nothing. This is the worst experience I have ever had with any lender and I am a real estate agent who works with lenders all day long. I would not recommend this company to my worst enemy.

Jeff Eisenbeis Palm Bay, FL

If you are considering refinancing with Freedom Mortgage Corporation, RUN, don't walk, away! It is the most disorganized mortgage company with which I've ever dealt, and I've worked with many. I did a "streamlined/no cash-out" VA loan refinance. It was a problem from the beginning....two different closing disclosures, neither of which was accurate. Finally got the "final" Closing Disclosure AT CLOSING (supposed to happen three days before closing). They refunded my escrow against my loan balance and then charged me for an entire year of insurance at closing, which I guess was reasonable since my insurance was due three weeks after closing; HOWEVER, they didn't pay the insurance and after many hours on the phone, I now have a "promise to overnight a check to" my insurance company. This is the most chaotic, disorganized, terrible experience I've ever had with any mortgage company or any financial institution for that matter.

Went Elsewhere Covington, LA

Awful. Every step of the way. They are completely overwhelmed, their systems do not talk to each other at all, there is virtually zero communication and what almost nonexistent communication they try to regurgitate is not correct. They don't even check their own e-mails they sent. A simple refinance (they had the original mortgage!) with tons of equity in the house, great credit, and after two and one-half months they wanted to do the entire loan all over again. You could not make this up. Don't even bother.

Jeremy L. Norwood, MA

I wish websites would allow a zero star rating! I was forced to use Freedom when they bought my mortgage from another "servicer". I finally refinanced away from them, but they did some messed up stuff to try to force me to stay with them. They decided to stop paying my homeowners insurance, and replace it with a more expensive, inferior policy. (I'm going to guess that kickbacks are involved). Their online system failed to post a payment and they didn't notify of this missed payment until after 30 days, resulting in a negative report on my credit. I filed disputes, compliants, and asked for removal... and got nowhere THEN, Freedom placed my entire account into forbearance. I never requested/agreed to this. I was never even notified of this, only discovered it when I logged in to my account. I am convinced Freedom did this as retaliation for my disputes and complaints. I believe this to be the case as I told them "I cant wait to refinance away from you"... they attempted to sabotage my refinance by putting my account into forbearance (taking advantage of the CARES act to do so). They claim the forbearance "was an error" but very quickly removed it when more complaints were filed and I threatened a lawsuit. AVOID THIS COMPANY if you can!

Brent Lee Tampa, FL

I currently have a mortgage with Freedom. When I first became a customer they were amazing; however, over the years they have abandoned any type of quality customer service. I recently tried to refinance using the VA home loan, after several weeks of back and forth, I finally had enough and told them to cancel my refinance. I will be seeking out another company to refinance through and hopefully will never have to do business with this company again. There were two people that tried everything they could to smooth this process out, Andy L and Stephanie C. They were the only team members at Freedom Mortgage that valued their customers and delivered quality work. If the rest of the team followed in their lead, I would probably still be a customer of Freedom Mortgage.

Chateara Seymour Missouri City, TX

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!! Not only do they have the worst customer service, their business practices are predatory to say the least. Scott L contacted us multiple times regarding a VA loan rate reduction and after reviewing our existing loan and noted that I am a 100% disabled veteran and would not be required to pay the loan origination fee. I called Scott L again (within the 72 hour cancellation time frame) and left a second voicemail. I subsequently followed up those voicemails with three (3) additional emails (after the 72 hour period). I contacted Freedom Mortgage customer service and after 2 hours and 57 mins, I was told that I should have stopped our signing, sent in the cancellation form, or called another customer service number - and the VA loan origination fee would remain on our loan. By continuing to require this fee, Freedom Mortgage has essentially absolved Scott L (an agent of Freedom Mortgage) of any responsibility to answer my calls, return my calls, or respond to any of the emails that I have sent; thereby creating a predatory lending practice at the detriment of disabled United States Service members.

Amanda Hastings, MI

Very good and helpful when it comes to setting things up, late payments, options instead of or to prevent foreclosures. Somewhat difficult to speak to the correct person and/or update things by phone through an agent. Mostly everything must be changed/verified online.

Dru Lonoke, AR

My loan was sold to Freedom over 2 years ago. As a Veteran in the U.S. Army, I used the VA Loan option. Since joining with Freedom Mortgage they have lowered my interest rate twice, something I would not have had at the original lender. Overall, my experience has been good.

Veronica K San Antonio, TX

Have been with Freedom Mortgage for just over 5 years and have not had any issues. They helped me when I needed a payment plan and have always answered the phone for me. I have a VA loan and no issues. Sad to see others have had issues so I'm not sure why. Was just offered the lower rate, part of Eagle Eye program too. Very friendly and recommend.

Anthony L Perillo Haverhill, MA

Very poor customer service. Hard to get someone to talk to. They have a message option on their website that they NEVER respond to. They harass you about increasing your homeowners insurance through their company when you already have one and use such tricks as it has expired when it hasn't. I was transferred to them from my previous loaner.

Mona Albuquerque, NM

I refinanced in july 2020 did not close until December 2020. The customer service were not very knowledgeable and not very caring about timeline for closing. Finally after closing I called to set up my payment to be automatically withdrawn from my bank account lets see how that goes will be checking at the end of the month. The person who helped me set my auto withdrawal was very knowledgeable and courteous. Wish me luck.

Richard Lakeland, FL

Worst customer ever. We currently have a mortgage with FM (not by choice) and trying to do a Refinance with them. It going on 3 months and still hasn't been done. You email them...no reply. You call them...nobody can answer basic question, they have to call you back but never do. Finally got the process done and set up signing the paperwork. The rep never showed up for the closing. No call No show. Guess its time to go with another company. This company is a Joke. I highly recommend using another company. Just look at the reviews.....

Karen Tone Bradenton, FL

Stay clear of Freedom Mortgage, if you have an issue they will not resolve it. They re-evaluated our escrow and submitted the wrong tax code and are charging us $53,000 a year in taxes on a $200,000 condo-that is close to $4,000 a month additional. They are telling us to pay the bill and we will be refunded later, they are also offering us a forbearance if we cannot pay. They also added a flood policy for an additional $700 a month without our approval when it is already covered under our association dues. You can't make this stuff up! This is the highest level of incompetency I have ever experienced with a company. We have been calling twice per week for 10 weeks trying to get this resolved and every time we call we get someone new who is working from home and doesn't care. They promise to have a manager call us back and we NEVER get a call back. Our credit has been ruined waiting for a resolution and I feel so powerless I want to sell our condo to get away from this nightmare.

Deborah Alberti

Our mortgage was sold to Freedom Mortgage in November of last year. Within two months they had us a lower interest rate and lower payment. They also do not charge a late fee if you are within the 30 days your payment was due

Vicki Bell Henderson, NV

Customer Service is excellent and they are very good with there advice when you are applying with them. They fit your needs to there program and also assist you with any questions and provide you with options when taking out loans with them.

Vicky Staats Atlanta, GA

Great service and the employees are courteous and kind

H Moore Lehi, UT

We've been with Freedom Mortgage for two years when our mortgage loan was sold to them. They have a great website, which makes it easy to look up past payments and the amortization of your loan. Whenever I've called them with questions, I've been satisfied with customer service.

Jeff Justice West Jordan, UT

A great company to work with! Our primary has been with Freedom for several years now and while it's been very low maintenance, the few times I've needed to call them for any account questions, their reps have been some of the most pleasant service people I've talked to.

B Wasilla, AK

We make our payments on time and never had any late fees. That being said, we aren't thrilled how they expect money pretty far in advance, we get the bill almost a month ahead of when its due... which is fine, but never had bills come that early for something. Otherwise never had any problems.

PolyanaL Salt Lake City, UT

I have owned my home for over 10 years now and since then Freedom mortgage is who I pay my mortgage to. Their online system is very easy to use. I was able to do isntallments weekly on my mortage and when I got paid weekly. When I moved job and got paid monthly instead, I called them again and asked if I can go back to monthly payment instead of weekly and they were able to do it right away.

Troy Millett Lindon, UT

I have had a mortgage with Freedom Mortgage for the last 6 years or so. I received a letter from them a year ago saying they would refinance my loan at a lower rate for no charge. I took them up on the offer and it saved me a lot! Who does that?! Absolutely nothing out of pocket. They have earned my business!

Benjamin Park Dallas, TX

Refinance sept is the worst no accountability for agents and supervisors , the escalation department also side with their employees - I filed my complaint with centers affair and the better business bureau on how this company employees mishandled my refinance I lost money selecting this company over the others they dragged my refinance to out to 5 months -

Sara Marquez Pasadena, CA

I called about refinancing and the department that handles basically told me no, not in my best interest? I was surprised he didn’t take the time to look into and making sure? I have not tried calling back

Sticky Stripz Liberty Hill, TX

Avoid Company At All Costs.... We sold our home and contacted Freedom Mortgage to release our escrow account which was an accumulated $9000 + . We were informed "the check is in the mail" which after patiently waiting 2 weeks never showed up . We contacted the company again to inquire and were told "we must have sent to wrong address " and were given another date which again "check never came"....and another date and so on. No supervisor or manager available to address concerns just shuffled to the next cubicle/employee. If we withheld our mortgage payment this long they would have foreclosed. This company needs to be held accountable

Jess b Jacksonville, NC

I’m a realtor in NC attempting to assist my client with a short sale. He is an active duty service member whose home was severely damaged by hurricane Florence. Apparently FMC was extremely difficult to deal with at the time of the disaster. After the repairs were made I listed the home for sale, at top price. We received an offer come to find out that FMC had added fees to the back of his loan. So we initiated a short sale. After receiving and accepting a full price offer, I was contacted by the appraiser who told me there was an active leak in the kitchen wall. Upon further research and confirmation with FMC- they had sent out a preservation company to carelessly mow the lawn. They hit the water spigot resulting in severe water damage to this like new home. Water was seeping through the brand new floors, mold throughout the brand new drywall. I contacted them immediately to notify them of the damages, and was told they would file a claim. A couple weeks later I called 10 times only to be told 10 different things. They never initiated a claim. It’s been 4 months. I presented them with a CASH offer and multiple estimates reflecting the repair costs. I was told they submitted it to the VA for approval. The VA responded and told them it is their responsibility as the servicer to protect the home and that they should file a claim and be responsible for the damages. When FMC relayed this information to us there was absolutely no responsibility or empathy implied. In fact, they told me they would send someone out to assess the damages (4 months later) and I still haven’t been contacted. I was also told “the va denied the offer”. Apparently foreclosing is a much better option to FMC. I plan to contact the VA Technician responsible for his loan and report failure to complete property inspections, failure to report material damage and even the possible predatory mortgage servicing that has been added on to the back of this REFINANCED loan. Absolutely unfair and my heart breaks for this poor veteran. BUYER BEWARE.

Roger

Freedom Mortgage bought out my mortgage from my original mortgage company. In the beginning they could not get one single thing right. I would always pay extra each month to help pay down the principal. Freedom would not apply it to the principal. For like 6 months I had to keep calling them so that they would apply the money to the principal which was very inconvenient. I finally was able to talk to someone that knew what they were doing and set it up correctly so I would not have to call in every month.

Chris Anchorage, AK

I read the reviews and still went with them because they offered the best rate. They are the worst, however. Every step of the way: Originating a loan, selling and then buying back the loan and finally when you sell the property. it seems like it is the first time they have ever dealt with a mortgage. Customer service either has no idea what they are doing or will be cryptic and hide facts. To get anything done with this company, you have to make a formal complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. I've done it six times with this company and they have had to correct the problem each time. Very unethical and immoral. Look at their record with owing the US government for scams.

Wendy D Canby, OR

Worst experience ever with any refi or loan in 20 years. Poor communication, tried to charge us for 2019 taxes that had already been paid from our escrow account again at closing. Could never reach anyone by phone and would spend hours reguarly trying to call to manage continual problems. They didn't even bother getting our loan documents to the appointment they scheduled at closing. They never did call or apologize for that. At 2nd closing appointment, halfway through the documents they had included some other person's name and private info instead of ours...major privacy breach. They bought our loan, we never sought them out and only refi with them because it was cheaper to do than starting over on a new loan, but would not do it again with them any type of loan EVER. If I could give them zero or negative stars, I would. I have done other home loans and refi in the past with other companies that were great and so I never knew this process could be so bad or that it was like this some places. Never knew a company could be quite so bad. Avoid these people at all cost.

LLT Yuba City, CA

Would give them zero stars if it were possible. My VA loan was sold to them, first year was fine but then they began calling me non-stop to do a streamlined refi for a lower interest rate (only 1 pt lower). I finally said yes just to get them to leave me alone, refi was a nightmare, misplaced paperwork, no response to emails, phone calls not returned, etc. Refi Loan finally closed and now they haven't paid my homeowners insurance from the escrow account. Spoke with a customer service rep, she said it looked like a the was a typo the account, insurance should have been paid on 11/25/19 but someone typed 11/25/20. Nothing they can do about it now so I'm on the hook to pay the insurance out of pocket. Horrible company. FYI .. after spending more than 45 minutes on hold I finally got through, the rep apologized for the wait and said there were over 250 calls in que.

Mary M. Saint Paul, MN

If I could give a negative star rating, I would! NEGATIVE FIVE!! at the very least. We have had a Freedom Mortgage for 3 years. My husband is a veteran so we went with a VA loan. In June of this year (2019), a representative from Freedom Mortgage called to say we qualified for a VA refinancing that would lower our interest rate and payment. We were assured that it was a very streamline process. Nothing could be further from the truth. (And it seems from the other reviews that we are unfortunately part of a trend) After submitting our documents we didn't hear back for a couple of weeks so finally I called. They kept saying that it was because they were waiting for a subordination (we took out a very small loan from a community group to insulate the house) but that was untrue. The problem was both Freedom Mortgage and Inspire closing staff were either incredibly incompetent or this was all a scam to start with. After weeks and weeks and a multitude of emails (in which they informed us they were wrong about x or needed to redo y or sent the wrong amount in, etc.). We received this email (on November 6th -- 4 months after we started the refinancing): It looks like due to the age of this file Freedom Mortgage had to close the loan. I have been working on trying to reverse this, but with no luck. I apologize for all the hassle. I can reopen the loan for you if you still wish to proceed. Let me know. Thank you. Freedom Mortgage has all of their press releases about amazing growth and how they serve veterans. Seems their growth (and profits) are at the expense of veterans. I tried multiple avenues of trying to get some customer support and got no where. I hope someone investigates this company soon.

Jennifer D Cypress, TX

This mortgage company does not honor original agreements they agreed to and approved such as a VA Modification that was sent to us stating the VAMOD was approved. They then state after the 3rd trial payment that it was on a forbearance instead but did not generate the denial letter to be sent out to us “because the incorrect CIT was used to have the correction letter sent” so we did not receive anything due to their error. This is our fault…how?? They also never stated anything about a forbearance until my third payment was made. I have spoken to probably every rep in their company and each one stated completely different information. Not one rep has any idea what is going on with our account. They refuse to honor the original VAMOD that we under the impression we had because they stated that the VA did not approve the MOD. However, the rep at the VA stated they did approve it and not the forbearance. I will NOT recommend these people and their antics. They are clueless and refuse to honor what they stated originally. Kept copies of everything sent to us but they still question “I’m not sure how you have that”. Well, I did not use their letterhead and make my own contract up! This is by far the WORST company I have ever dealt with. Be careful when you deal with these unprofessional people.

Brian Helena, MT

WORST EXPERIENCE EVER! I refinanced through this company NOV 2019. My payment was set to be slightly over 1400, then there was a shortage 2019, so it raised to 1480. I was advised to refi, and my payment would be 1404. I did refinance in NOV 2019. In March I had to pay 1570, because of a "shortage." No response was given, so I had to file a complaint through the state. Lone and behold they underpaid the taxes, and the check was sent back. So instead of sending it back to my account they simply didn't, or put in the wrong account. So to make up the shortage and recover the "cushion" my payments went to 1465, which I wasn't happy, but i understood. Then in June 2020 I was told there's another shortage! My new payment starting Aug is 1494! I called the company, and they said they never returned the tax check and they paid the taxes for my property Feb and May 2020 over $1300 each time. My property tax per year is $1300 and change. I asked for a manager to call me so we can straighten it out, instead I was told I would get a letter sent out to me on July 13th- 3 weeks after asking for clarification and 2 weeks to dispute before my new amount is due. This company lied to the state saying they returned the check to my account. The only time I ever get answers from this company in a semi timely manner is when they are reported for fraud/investigations. Then I asked not to be contacted for Refi due to the horrible service I have gotten, and yesterday 07/06 I was called about refinancing. At this point I am selling the house, and dumping this company. They offer great deals, then never follow through. I have turned them into the BBB multiple times, the state for investigating now 2 times, and now to the FCC for mortgage fraud. This company is absolutely ridiculous, and I would avoid them AT ALL POSSIBLE COSTS.

Vexed Client Front Royal, VA

Initially when I was SUPPOSED to close on my refinance (Freedom initiated), I felt it was short notice to get the cash to close figure the morning of closing. Thats the start. The notary who was supposed to meet with me for closing never showed. When I called Freedom that evening they were very apologetic and assured me that rescheduling my closing would go flawlessly. At that time I felt that they handled the situation well. Thats where it ended. The day before my rescheduled closing I received a notice that my cash to close was more than initially agreed to. It took 5 phone calls that day to get any sort of inclination that it would be corrected or explained and someone would call me back. I asked the representative when I could expect a call back. He said that evening ot the next morning. Well, I waited until about 1 hour before the time I was supposed to meet with a different notary and ended up call again myself. It took another 5 phone calls, on one of which I got laughed at. Their solution was - pay the higher amount even though the rescheduling was needed at no fault of mine, don't close and pay my regular mortgage payment (which would have been late at this point) or reschedule gain and risk my cash to close going higher. HOW IS THAT RIGHT? I felt like they were holding me hostage. It took several times of me telling them " how can you not see that what you are doing is wrong". At this point the notary was already at my house listening to me argue with the general incompetence and unwillingness to do the right thing which was make the cash to close amount the same as what it was a week prior. 12+ phone calls total and nobody could tell me that there were any notes in their system about any of it. I wasn't asking for anything outrageous. I wasn't asking for anything beyond what I was told the cash to close would be on the original closing date that I was available for but their notary pulled a no show. They were simply not willing to uphold their end of the agreement and stated that there were additional escrow monies due(according to one person - another said there is a per diem interest charge) they can't even get on the same page with the reason I was being charged more. When I finally reached a supervisor (remember 12 phone calls later) she tried to explain why I was being charged more. I reiterated that charging me more regardless of reason on their end is the wrong thing to do and morally bankrupt especially because the ball was dropped on their end and not mine. After going back and forth for quite some time we came to an understanding.

Alan Hollywood, FL

Terrible Company Insurance company cancelled the policy but didn't notify me. They force placed insurance on my policy which changed the payment. My automatic payment wasn't enough for one month so they reported it to credit bureaus as a late payment (one of the most damaging things you can do to someone's credit). Called them several times to reconsider....one person told me to just dispute it and they would remove it that way. Disputed it with all three credit bureaus and they verified all three. Rates dropped and they marketed me to refinance with them. When I got them on the phone I said sure if you'd be willing to remove the late payment you guys are reporting. The declined yet again.....I refinanced with someone else. This company is willing to lose business to ruin your credit. STAY AWAY!! YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!

KJ Sykesville, MD

AWFUL! From the moment that my mortgage was sold to Freedom, it has been an absolute nightmare. One month they processed my single authorized payment THREE times in a span of four days, causing my acccount to overdraft so badly that my entire next paycheck went to NSF and overdraft fees. The very next month they billed me for .10 cents less than I actually owed. They didn't apply the other $1505.90 cents because it was a."partial" payment. I only became aware of this the following month when my credit monitoring service advised me of a 100+ point drop in my score due to my mortgage going 30 days late. They jacked my financial situation up so badly that I had no choice but to stay with them - because I wasn't even eligible to refinance! 18 months later and my score is finally close to recovering. STAY AWAY FROM THIS LENDER.

Sandrene Burns Tuscaloosa, AL

My husband and I applied for a home equity loan from Freedom Mortgage. Our initial contact person was pleasant and positive about our prospects based on the initial information we gave her .She sent us a packet of forms to fill to fill out and requested other pertinent information, which returned a couple of days after receiving it. Once it went to a so called "loan agent" and his female supervisor, it became a very log, arduous, stressful process. These two people kept requesting more and more irrelevant and trivial trivial information which drew the process out longer and resulted in our loan application to expire twice. Once they began the process again they requested even more information, some of which had already been submitted. all of their request for information had to be in writing, and in some cases notarized. My husband and I spent a lot of money having trivial information notarized. They even wanted information about an apt. we lived in for 9 months 40 years ago(TRIVIAL). We had to send them documentation about property we once owned but had sold several years ago. I had been receiving my pension for 20 years and told them it was a lifetime pension. They wanted written documentation from the state pension dept.. To expediate things my husband and I drove 198 miles round trip to get this information. We had to get a termite bond(a reasonable request). The company gave us the option of installment payment or pay in full. They wanted us o pay it in full before they would go any further on our application. So we had to pay a couple of hundred dollars to pay it in full. These are just a few of the many hoops we to jump through for these people. My husband and I both have excellent credit scores so credit wasn't an issue. Finally, 5 month later after they had exhausted their requests for "garbage" we were told our loan wouldn't be approved. I don't know if this particular "loan agent" and his supervisor he exception, but if they are the norm, then Freedom Mortgage is BAD NEWS, and I would advise anyone considering doing business with Freedom Mortgage to run away and take your business elsewhere. My husband and I went to another company and supplied them with the pertinent information they asked for. Three weeks later we were approved for the amount we requested. They even sent a note thanking us for letting them do business with us.

Regenia Ward Buckeye, AZ

My loan was somehow sold to Freedom Mortgage, From day 1 it has been a nightmare. This company does NOT need to handle any VA loans at all. First off, I had to do my own research to find their information because my last lender stated on their website it had been transferred to Freedom Mortgage. Weeks later I received a welcome letter from them. Then it was my property taxes as a 100% disabled veteran and being exempt from a certain amount. Our taxes aren’t due yet for this tax season but I wanted to let them know that this is the information that will be coming up for my taxes. 2 months later, I received a letter from Freedom stating that the Treasury office had no information. I was puzzled because as of right now, the Treasures office and the County Assessors office are not network connected, The County told me it will be linked in August. Being that I like to get to the bottom of things, I go to my Assessors office and she tells me that the information will be annotated during the tax year and that’s why I have the letter to send to my mortgage lender. (I mailed one and emailed one) so they will know it’s coming. But besides all of that, my main complaint was when I received an email from my homeowners stating my insurance hadn’t been paid in two month’s! Yes, two month’s. I’ve had insurance with this same company since I purchased my home and I have never been late with my mortgage payments in which my insurance is escrowed. Hearing this I jumped on the phone with my insurance and we called them together. They never contacted my insurance to let them know the change. I hate to say this but my loan has been bounced 4 times. Never have I had an issue with a mortgage lender updating my insurance info. So, they tell my insurance company, send me all the details and we will get it paid within 7-10 business days. A complete mess. I made a follow up phone call with Freedom and the guy tells me it’s up to me to give that information to my insurance company. What? remember now, I didn’t even know they were my lender until May 1, 2019 and like the other lender’s always told me “you don’t have to do anything, we cover it all” so being that money was going into escrow and the last lender sent them the information, what did Freedom really think it was for? But this is the real kicker, yesterday (July 12, 2019), I received a letter from Freedom stating I didn’t have hazardous insurance. I got on the phone once again called Freedom and spoke to Ciera. She put me on hold for a minute and told me to ignore the letter I received and they sent out a check to my insurance company. In my mind I’m thinking, “you didn’t send a letter until I called you about it and was just collecting escrow” First of all I’ve had homeowners since I closed on my loan and Freedom is just a negligent company with incompetent people. However, customer service has really been helpful, some of them can’t believe how that happened. I can’t wait to refi to get away from this company, they never hold themselves responsible and try to turn it around on the homeowner. Oh and let me not forget about receiving calls when you post a bad review. They called me but I couldn’t take the call at that time. I call them back, left a message and no one returned the call. VA should take them out of their network. They need a loophole for being able to leave lenders because of negligence.

Christina B Livingston, TX

This company is a joke. they actually bought out our mortgage from another company and we've had nothing but problems when trying to get through to them. Most of the documents for third-party authorization and such were not valid once they bought out the loan and we had to redo all of those despite the fact that we had signed the mortgage two weeks prior and filled all of that information out. The supervisors and employees lie and say one thing and then another one says something completely different. It is very impossible to get a straight answer from them when having to call in about your account. And the fact that they're not on the same page with information is very frustrating. We've had to fill out forms only to be told that they needed something else and after completing that we're told they still needed something else so every time we call we're having to add more things to this it's been over 30 days and they haven't resolved our issue. Forget it if you need to get an easement form from them since they are the mortgage holder they have to sign off on the easement for the power company to put lines on your property. They are not done in a timely manner and cannot get the information correct. This company I would never refer to anyone. They like to play the pass along game act like they're helping and then pass you to the next person and make you start all over again.

Lateisha Hampton, GA

I tried to get a loan modification done in 2017. It’s 2019 and still no resolution. Just added fees and interest. They have all my information and updated information but every time there’s always something “missing”. I have called back and spoke with the agents who see the info plain as day only to resubmit it back to underwriting for them to find another excuse. This was supposed to be a 45 day to at most 6 month process. In July it will be 2 years. Imagine the joy they have of collecting 2 years of interest and fees. The kicker is that you can even make a payment the day you start the process. Thx for nothing Freedom Mortgage.

Diane Kelly

Have only been with them six months and have had multiple problems and been given misinformation twice. They were very slow to pay our property taxes, resulting in warning notices from our tax authority and unnecessary stress for us. They didn't pay our property taxes until the zero hour, despite the fact that one of their reps told us that they should have been paid weeks earlier. They also told us that PMI wouldn't be applied to our account after we made an additional large lump-sum payment, but then they continued to charge PMI. Am frankly disgusted by the amount of time I have to spend trying to fix their errors.

Suzanne Sweeney Hampstead, NC

Freedom Mortgage purchased my mortgage when I re-financed. I have been with Chase and Liberty and both were great. If I could have rated them awful, incompetent with the worst customer service and polices with any mortgage company I would but poor was the lowest option. First if you choose to make your monthly payment over the phone they charge you $10.00 to make a payment to YOUR own account and if you choose to use one of their rude and unprofessional customer service representatives it $20.00, however if you use their website making your payment is free, sound like a solution except that the website is not user friendly. An example after spending 90mins on hold to only get disconnected and then placed on hold for another 30mins I was told that my user ID had to be in all CAPS but they fail to mention that anywhere on the website when you sign up. The troubleshooting options offered on the website didn’t solves my problem. It only wasted close to 2 hours of my time before it suddenly fixed and I could make my payment Second another borderline fraudulent tactic they employ is that you pay on the website and get a confirmation your payment is made well within the due date but somehow on Freedom Mortgages end it wasn’t made until after the due date, so they charge you a $50.00 late fee. Never in the 20 years paying a mortgage has it ever been close to late, but I pay it five days before the due date, and it held for some reason until after the due date passes until its credited to my account and I had a confirmation number provided by them when I made my payment. This and my unrelenting stance that I should not be assessed a late fee for their error. Reluctantly after asking to speak to a supervisor did it get removed. Let's talk about the escrow fiasco somehow my payment is going up $200 a month for a shortage, however my insurance and taxes didn’t increase. Their excuse is I need a cushion, which I already have that’s well within the defined amount set by law. However, is I agree to pay the seven-hundred-dollar shortage my payment would not increase. I asked for an escrow analysis to be run several times until magically there was suddenly not a shortage any longer. There are so many other mortgage companies that appreciate and understand customer service that you can trust to manage your mortgage without having to constantly monitor them to make sure they are not screwing you over. It is terrifying to think how many Freedom Mortgage customers are experiencing the same fraudulent behavior but don’t have the ability or time to double and triple check that Freedom Mortgage is not taking advantage of their customers. I recently reached out to my mortgage to re-fi even if it means paying a higher rate just to get away from this awful company. Please choose another Mortgage company that appreciates your business and knows the true meaning of customer service. We all have numerous choices Freedom Mortgage shouldn’t ever be one of them.