Freedom Mortgage Logo

Freedom Mortgage

Is This Your Business?

4.9

LAST UPDATED: May 17th, 2022

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender that is licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

The company's goal is to help customers achieve the American dream of home ownership with a particular focus on helping veterans receive affordable home financing. Veterans should make sure to look into the specialty loan products, such as the VA interest rate reduction refinance loan (IRRRL) which makes refinancing easy, simple and affordable compared to industry standards.

Satisfied customers are quick to mention the company's outstanding customer service. But, 60 percent of Freedom Mortgage reviews are 1-star.

Jump down to read Freedom Mortgage reviews from real customers.

search

Highlight: Freedom Mortgage awards and accolades*

• #1 VA lender in the nation
  • #1 FHA lender lender in the nation
  • Top residential lender in the nation

*Awarded by Inside Mortgage Finance, Jan-Sept 2020.

The Good

Variety of Loan Types

Freedom Mortgage makes it easy for nearly any kind of homebuyer to find the right loan product. It offers a variety of home loan options:

• Fixed Rate Loan
  • Adjustable Rate Mortgage Loan (ARM)
  • VA Loan
  • FHA Loan
  • USDA Loan

These options are typically offered by most mortgage lenders, but it is worth noting that Freedom Mortgage offers USDA loans, an option not made available with many other lenders. However, Freedom Mortgage doesn't offer jumbo loans, an option that you will typically see with other lenders to meet the needs of borrowers purchasing a home beyond the conforming home loan limit.

VA Loan Benefits

Freedom Mortgage is titled as the #1 VA loan lender in the nation.

Backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VA loans help service men and women achieve homeownership with a 0 percent down payment. With VA loans, there is no private mortgage insurance, no minimum credit score, and rates are low. The company's VA affordability and refinance calculators assist prospective borrowers as they compare loan amounts and details. Plus, veterans can re-use this benefit multiple times.

In addition to veteran home purchasing services, Freedom Mortgage provides VA refinancing options:

• VA Cash-Out Refinance
  • VA IRRRL Refinance

FHA-Insured Loans

It is typical for many mortgage lenders to offer FHA insurance home loans as one of its services. Freedom Mortgage has FHA loans available which are widely popular among first time homebuyers and other low income potential homebuyers. Below is a list of the qualifications for its FHA insurance loans:

• Minimum credit score of 540
  • Minimum down payment of 3.5%
  • Low PMI rates
  • Debt-to-income ratio must be below 43%
  • Steady employment history

Freedom Mortgage also offers a FHA Refinance loan option for qualified borrowers.

USDA Loans Available

Freedom mortgage offers USDA loans, an option that isn't widely available with other mortgage companies. USDA loans are a government-backed loan type, backed by the United States Department of Agriculture.

A USDA loan is a zero down payment loan option, only available to borrowers purchasing eligible rural properties; metropolitan areas typically aren't eligible property locations.

Refinancing Options

Freedom Mortgage offers refinancing services to help homeowners pay off their loan sooner, reduce their loan term and monthly payment, or get a lower interest rate.

Freedom Mortgage offers the following mortgage refinancing options:

• Conventional Refinance
  • FHA Refinance
  • VA Cash-Out Refinance
  • VA IRRRL Refinance

The company's site has a helpful chart showing the difference between a conventional refinance, VA loan refinance, and FHA loan refinance.

Both the VA loan refinance process and FHA loan refinance process involve less documentation and no appraisal. In addition, the VA loan refinance actually has a special program, unique to Freedom Mortgage, called a VA interest rate reduction refinance loan or a VA IRRRL. This specialty refinance loan guarantees less documentation, quicker closing times, lower rates, low funding fees, better rates, and more. It is a great deal for veterans that are looking to refinance their home loan.

In addition, Cash-out refinancing, is available to qualifying borrowers who want to get cash out from their home's equity to pay off high-interest debt, consolidate bills, make home improvements, or pay for a major expense. This does take more time and additional paperwork. Private mortgage insurance, loan-to-value ratio limits, and loan restrictions may apply.

Eagle Eye Pledge

The company has a unique program, called the Eagle Eye Pledge, that works actively to save you money. This monitoring program contacts you about interest rate, home equity, and promotional changes that you may be able to take advantage of.

For example, Freedom Mortgage will contact you if interest rates drop and you can benefit from a lower your monthly payment. It will also let you know if the value of your home increases, giving you access to more cash through a larger home equity loan or home equity line of credit (HELOC).

In comparison to other mortgage lenders, a very small percentage of them actively update you on ways to reduce your mortgage rate and mortgage payment, making Freedom Mortgage stand apart from the competition. If you are buying a house at a time when the market has uncharacteristically high interest rates, then you can feel peace of mind knowing that Freedom Mortgage will contact you in the future if you qualify for a lower mortgage rate.

Mortgage Calculators

Freedom Mortgage provides two helpful calculators to see how much you can afford on a new loan or how much you can save through refinancing a loan:

• Mortgage Affordability calculator
  • Refinance calculator

These are helpful features because Freedom Mortgage does not provide a specific interest rate range or loan terms, since both are reliant upon your personal circumstances.

Mortgage Payment Assistance

If you are unable to make your mortgage payment, it is your responsibility to contact Freedom Mortgage as soon as possible and work with your loan officer to find the best solution for you.

Through your Freedom Mortgage account you can easily download and submit a Hardship request online. Based on your individual circumstances, and provided information and documentation, there may be programs and solutions available to you for either a temporary period or long-term.

It is unclear exactly what programs and solutions Freedom Mortgage provides, such as forbearance, but there is assistance available.

The Bad

Website Transparency

More information is needed to see how Freedom Mortgage stacks up against other mortgage companies regarding eligibility, closing costs, and interest rates.

For example, we can't make an estimate for an interest rate with our control scenario because the monthly payments calculators on the company's website have you enter in your own interest rate. However, the default interest rate is listed as 4.6 percent, so we assume that is the rate borrowers with excellent credit can expect.

No Home Equity Loans or Lines of Credit (HELOCs)

Freedom Mortgage does offer a cash-out refinance option for those wishing to access funds from their home equity. However, the company doesn't offer home equity loans or lines of credit (HELOCs). If you are looking for either of those specific loan types you'll need to look into other mortgage lender options.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

Upon comparing 100+ customer reviews for Freedom Mortgage, over half of the reviews were one-star reviews. Much of the negative feedback points to similar issues. Some of the most common complaints from these one-star reviews include:

• Poor customer service
  • Unclear guidelines and loan terms
  • A difficult mortgage process
  • A general lack of transparency
  • Issues with escrow accounts

However, it should be noted that the sample size of these customer reviews is fairly small so make sure to get both sides of the story before making a final decision.

The Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage is a well-known mortgage company that has a particular focus on providing mortgage solutions for military veterans and other members of the military community. Providing various VA home purchase and refinance loan options, Freedom mortgage is a good fit for members of the military.

The company's conventional loan options can meet the needs of various types of homebuyers. But what really sets Freedom Mortgage apart is its Eagle Eye Pledge. This program demonstrates the company's commitment to its customers by alerting them of any changes in interest rates, home equity, and other promotions, helping them save the most money they can on their mortgage loan.

Freedom Mortgage reviews are somewhat limited, but more than half of customers have awarded the company only 1 star, and most of these reviews do not speak highly of Freedom Mortgage's customer service. Based on these reviews alone, we would recommend looking into other mortgage lender options. But, it can always be helpful to speak with a company representative if you have any specific questions or concerns.

View Best Mortgage Companies

2.2

Randomperson Charleston, WV

In loss mitigation and they will not tell us when we will default Not only that but they refuse to work with the homeowner rescue and are now holding our normal monthly payments while trying to lower our payment (we do not need, we are back on track) and up the fixed interest rate that we agreed to when we got the loan through another company (we refuse) I asked them about the payment and they flat out lied- said there was a hold at the bank. I called the bank and it was never sent.

Jade Hawthorne Los Angeles, CA

Do NOT USE THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY. Avoid at all costs. Freedom Mortgage: A heartless scam artist billionaire corporation that cares nothing for veterans and yet is the #1 VA Loan Servicer. How is that possible? Because they buy up mortgages initiated through other brokers and force you to be their customer (like what happened with my loan). I did not choose Freedom Mortgage. Do NOT take your VA Loan to these uncaring corporate loan sharks. BELIEVE ME. You can do everything right and still have this company responsible for making you essentially homeless. They will let you talk for a 30 min period and do nothing for you. That's not customer service even if they are "nice" about it.... Debt is Slavery. This company will see you and treat you as their slave and never truly offer help. I am a disabled veteran who is now living out of a vehicle thanks to this company's predatory practices. All because I missed a month a didn't realize it - I was left without the ability to qualify for a new mortgage or rent an apartment specifically because of Freedom Mortgage taking advantage of the situation and refusing me the remedy I requested. They are responsible for reporting when you don't pay a single month and couldn't make two mortgage payments in the same month on disability income to catch up. Then when you pay it off in full and don't owe them money, they will leave it fester on your report so you aren't able to qualify for other housing! I am experiencing inaccurate credit reporting currently even though my mortgage has been paid off. They stole outrageous exorbitant late fees out of my escrow settlement from the sale of my home. Do not trust them. Would never recommend to anyone especially vulnerable Veterans.

Susan M Phillips Holland, NJ

While everyone that I've spoken to is nice, no one can help me. I signed a Modification Agreement twice, and both times they didn't process it, giving me new bogus reasons each time I call. They have reported me to the credit bureaus in error, they just don't care! All I want is for them to process the paperwork they have!!

David in Arlington Arlington, VA

Freedom Mortgage bought my mortgage, which was just refinanced in 2020. I received notification in February 2022 that my mortgage would be switched over next month, called Freedom and they had no information on my loan number, that my mortgage was being transferred, etc. I finally received my loan number April 25, 2022, 5 days before a payment is due. But since that time in March that my prior mortgage was closed out and my new loan account was supposedly opened with Freedom, I've received 8 mailed solicitations and three emailed solicitations about refinancing and other products at Freedom. Also in the mailing I opened today about my new mortgage with Freedom was a number claiming at which I could opt out of marketing and information sharing with their affiliated and unaffiliated partners. That wasn't true - there were no prompts allowing me to opt out of anything. I'm not looking forward to the next 7-10 years with this company and I'm not even 60 days into working with them!

ErikaB Menasha, WI

I have been with Freedom Mortgage since I refinanced my home at the beginning of 2021. It had been just like any other mortgage company before until we decided to do the cash out option this year. Initially everything seemed fine until red flags started happening. I was not given all information about the way this worked then suddenly I was told I needed to pay $300 for an appraisal. I was not happy but figured it would be worth it if we were getting thousands of dollars back to be able to pay off other loans. During this whole process we were having a hard time getting our questions answered. I had the main loan advisor Kalev “Kal” S and then Ebony N, Customer Advocate. Neither of them would get back to us in a timely fashion when we’d email them and would never answer when we’d call. Then there was miscommunication between the two because Ebony would be asking for documents that were not needed. Once we decided to move forward with the loan, they sent a notary to our home to sign the documents; however, this person couldn’t answer any of our questions right then and there. In the past when we had refinanced, we’d get the escrow back in a check, so we expected the same, but this wasn’t the case. We found this out after I emailed ebony and had to follow up on my email because she wouldn’t get back to me. Then we had other questions about our new escrow and instead of answering the questions, she told me to call the escrow department for more information…what is the point of these two people then?! After further review of the documents we signed, we noticed there was also an “other escrow” amount that apparently is not included in our monthly payment but Ebony could not provide what this was about and Kal never replied to the email after Ebony asked him to help us answer our questions. Another thing we noticed was that we were never told how much the appraisal would be in total and we come to find out that we paid $300 out of pocket + $275 came out of the loan… so total $575 we paid for this but NOTHING was ever clear. All I gotta say is don’t go for these types of loans and work with a local mortgage lender instead!! We unfortunately learned our lesson the hard way and feel like we were taken advantage of.

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

we just finished our financing our home with freedom, as we refinanced after a year since we bought our home. We are grateful for freedom's ease of application, quick response time and professionalism. They made it very easy to buy a home at such an uncertain time in the country's economy, especially at our age. We got a decent rate but wanted to pay off some property taxes and get rid of insurance so we refi'ed; we priced Freedom and a few others and went with another company that was much larger and more affordable than Freedom's but was impressed how the two companies worked together. Freedom even refunded us some monies that were held in escrow- we highly recommend them to anyone needing a mortgage

Krag Brotby Stockton, CA

They sent a notice of an increase in our escrow account by $50 to the wrong address then accepted our online mortgage on - time payment but didn't credit our account and sent late payment notice to the credit agencies. Our credit score went down 100 points. After waiting for hours to reach a rep they informed us the credit reporting was based on facts and they couldn't change it never mind the fact they failed to notify us and took our payment anyway. TERRIBLE OUTFIT - BE WARNED.

Barbara Hopkins Yukon, OK

I would give them a 0 if i could…first my mortgage was sold to them, I would’ve never chosen them because I’ve had a bad experience with them in the past. This is the 2nd mortgage where their Escrow department seems to be incompetent…i submitted my tax exemption information to them Sep 2021…every excuse in the book every month why is wasn’t completed…4/20/21 i call in it was completed 2 days ago, but now won’t reimburse me my overage until my next escrow analysis which is Jan 2023…why did it take from Sep - Apr to update my exemption, of course they don’t know. my insurance is due in July, I’m already over the payment for that…with a previous property with the escrow department misapplied a payment i made directly with them over the phone and it took 6 month to update my account…I’d never recommend this company to anyone for any reason

JustWant2WarnU Corpus Christi, TX

Look, I have been with Freedom Mortgage a few years, in trying to warn everyone I can how TERRIBLE they are I noticed something. Easily over half of these issues are with refinancing. I refinanced in 2020 and they screwed up my Escrow paper work I was almost dropped by my insurance, refinanced in 2021 because it wouldn't even require a credit check since they had recent stuff on file. Totally screwed my escrow payment AGAIN and this time it wasn't caught for an entire year. So I ended up with an over $3,000 shortage. So I paid $2,000 thinking for sure paying over half the shortage off would assist in lowering my house payment. Yea sure did.... BY FIFTY BUCKS! They are crooks thieves and swindlers. DO NOT USE THEM DO NOT LET ANYONE YOU LOVE USE THEM. It seems like they get your loan by buying out other corporations, then convince you to refinance so they can royally screw you over and trap you with them for some odd years until you pay them back.

ME YOU Queen Creek, AZ

I’d give zero stars, but have to give one to post this review. Freedom Mortgage has us enslaved with their disastrous incompetence. We refinanced our home with Freedom Mortgage. They bought our home loan last year. They got the docs to the closing company, we signed them and the refinance seemed to close right away. EXCEPT the checks they sent to payoff debts (which is why we went with the refi) we issued wrong! It’s beyond comprehension how they could make this huge “mistake” since they’ve got all the amounts on credit reports and statements we provided them during the underwriting process. But, they did. They lumped a payoff amount together in one check, made payable to one creditor without any account numbers AND the amount they lumped into one check covers several different creditors, over and above what is owed the creditor they made the check payable to. So, we’ve been told to hold ALL of the checks until we hear from them again … maybe … next week. *** We have nothing from a debt consolidation refinance but MORE debt because the new mortgage payment is more to cover the equity taken from our home to supposedly pay off debts, but the checks issued by Freedom Mortgage to pay off the debts ARE NO GOOD because they are WRONG! Avoid the lender.

Kynesia P. Fort Worth, TX

My mortgage was transferred to Freedom Mortgage from another lender about two years ago, but I have not had any problems with Freedom Mortgage. Their customer service representatives are friendly, patient, and knowledgeable.

Moises Garcia El Paso, TX

Our original loan was sold to Freedom Mortgage. We been in the process of selling the home since February 2022!!!! They can’t get the right paper work to the buyers title company. Every time we get a hold of someone to help and all seems to be understood on what’s needed. They ghost us!! They never seem to know who was helping us! Horrible customer services can’t get a hold on someone that knows the selling process and paper work needed.

Orsion Gainesville, FL

Evan and Ann. Don't use them. Can't even be considerate enough to call you back. They pulled my credit and said they would call me back after they speak with a manager. They both ghosted me. I kind of got the hint when I called them and left a voice mail with no reply back. I already have a mortgage through Freedom Mortgage and wanted to see about pulling some equity from my house since the housing market went up. I refuse to pay a Mortgage Lender the money I'm making when they act shady. Really how hard is it to call someone back? For now I am working on other options to change Mortgage Lender.

Victoria Sahl Providence, RI

This is the worst mortgage company in the entire world. They are liars and thiefs and go behind your back to nickel and dime more money out of you. Customer service is absolutely horrible. They sound like rude robots and I can not emphasize more how they steal from honest people trying to pay off their mortgage and try and trick you into better payment loans that keep you trapped with them for longer periods of time and then they change the payment behind your back and will not let you talk to a supervisor. Complete trash of a company stay away from them.

TheOne AndOnly Gibsonia, PA

I have no complaints with this mortgage company. I’ve had them for 5yrs. They reached out to me when I could get an even better rate.

Sheurrie Ervin Louisville, KY

I have a VA loan so someone contacted me about refinance my VA loan and said I was pre approved for equity cash so I could pay off a credit card and do some upgrades to my home I said no not interested so he went on and on so I agreed to take out a small equity cash. Then he said I need to pull your credit I was fine with it but I said is this a hard or soft run he said a soft one so I had to open my credit so he can look a my credit report after he looked he called me back and said ok we can move forward with this loan so I was fine with it so three days went by I haven't heard anything from him so I assume it may have been a host or something so when he finally called back around 5days later he assumed I was just going to sign all those papers before I read it. Seem like he got very upset and hung up so by the time I went to review the file it was removed so I called and asked what happened to the loan the loan officer put me on hold and said I would be happy to assist you I was ok with it. So he sent over the document and I read through it so I stumbled on a problem with this loan it was double the first loan mind you this was all in the same week . So he said you have to pay for an appraisal on your home so I'm like what he said yes ay then he said you have to send proof of your income I said ok went to fax everything he asked for and by the way he also lied and said I'm going to use the the same credit report so I won't have to run another hard credit check I said ok. Now I'm thinking everything is all good I paid for my appraisal with my credit card the one he said they can pay off by using my equity. SO Around the 26of January something told me to go to my email and check on the loan I opened up his email and there was nothing in it every thing was gone so then I went to check out my credit report it had on it my credit was ran by them 3times all hard reports y made my score go down 45points I then called freedom mortgage back and explain why I was calling about my refinance he said hold on .he came back and said there's no refinance loan in our system for you I said yes it is I signed the paperwork on line he said hold on again. Do he came back and said I had to talk to a supervisor and that I had to call back in the morning because there wasn't a supervisor on duty. Ok I call over and over I felt as though everytime I called they put me on hold like someone had wrote a message suggested I talk to a supervisor in the loan department .I just said I'm getting a lawyer for this mess so I went back on line to look for the paperwork it was gone and a letter staying I was denied due to my credit I don't have bad credit and you already said I was pre approved for the loan lesson learned I will get justice ♎⚖️ for this company and some of them are rude and right out nasty if you deal with them make sure you understand this tricking loan it's a lot they don't tell you before you commit to it.

Danny Thomas Semmes, AL

The worst company ever. The communication is terrible. My refinance been in process for over 2months and I’m about to lose it… different people calling and can’t give a straight answer on what’s going on… I’m to the point where im about to refinance with another company….

beingrippedoff Orange, CA

They want you to wire transfer the $165 recording fee (120% of the actual recording fee) to them even if you have paid off the loan. You can't just pay the $165 through ACH transfer on your Freedom Mortgage online account. And the operator said that wire transfer is the only way to prove that you actually paid. What kind of reason is that!

C Bill Slippery Rock, PA

They have to worst customer service out of all the mortgage companies I have worked with. They are unresponsive, and completely terrible at following up with their customers. I wish I took the other offer from the other company, and got away when I had the chance. I should have moved my load to my other load company, I will say no names because I am not trying to promote anyone. Be very aware that freedom has terrible customer service and wait times. Days before you get a call back.

Kayla Schwarzrock Fargo, ND

They have the worst customer service ever! We were contacted to do a refi with them. Had to submit the same paperwork multiple times. When there were issues we tried to talk to a supervisor. They refused to transfer us and we were told someone would contact us. This never happened despite multiple attempts by us. Eventually we were told we would have to restart the process due to us not returning phone calls or emails (that we never received).

Philip Montante Lancaster, NY

WORST mortgage company I have ever dealt with. Twice they have claimed a shortfall of money in escrow account!!!! ALL FALSE!!!! There was NEVER a shortage, but it took months for them to admit their mistake!! They even threatened to foreclose on the property when all along is was their fault. The left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!!! Now it's happened, again!!! Trying to get thru once, again to a representative, but they have failed or refused to return calls!!! They deserve 0 stars!!!!! These people are unethical, by claiming they are owed money that they have received and put into an escrow account, them claimed they didn't, the when confronted admitted they did!! REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!!

John Sweda Arlington, VA

The absolute WORST customer service experience of my life!!! I tried refinancing to a 15 year with these folks. They couldn’t get it done in 5 months. I went with Rocket Mortgage and they got it done in one month. Big difference. I work overseas for most of the year. I couldn’t get anyone to return my phone calls. I couldn’t get anyone to return my emails. Questions went unanswered. Promises to follow-up on my customer complaints were never followed-up on. Documents that I had already supplied were requested multiple times again. I kept being told the loan was “conditionally approved” and ready to go to underwriting only to hear nothing for weeks. The biggest indignity? I live in a windowless dorm on the U.S. Embassy compound in the country where I work. When I’m back home I live in a three-bedroom two-bath house. Freedom Mortgage INSISTED that my DORM ROOM WAS MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE AND MY HOUSE WAS MY “SECONDARY RESIDENCE”!! Excuse me? This became a joke in the office here. I will never ever use these incompetent people again. Go with Rocket Mortgage!!!

steve allen Salt Lake City, UT

This company is TERRIBLE!! They can't even get the easy stuff right! Today marks the second time they have miscalculated my escrow account. First time they jumped my monthly mortgage $500 a month. I spent hours on the phone to have them spread the difference over a longer time period. The jump was NOT due to increases in insurance or taxes. Just to screwing up basic math! How inept do you have to be to not have a program that catches these kind of errors!? Today I opened a bill showing a $120 a month increase - again due to their total lack of competence. They lowered my bill about $60 a month earlier this year! I could go on - charged a late fee a few years ago, after being assured I wouldn't be. Spent hours on the phone go over the circumstances, but no give. These guys are just the worst. If you have ANY other options, go with those. Wish I could give a lower than 1 star rating.

Eduardo De Pandi Chevy Chase, MD

Atlas Neo started a refinance process back in July. Provided all requested documents and answered all questions in a timely manner and still as of 12/09 FM cannot give me a closing date. I feel mega-aggravated and frustrated with the poor follow up and total lack of ownership. Had I known i'd be treated in such manner i'd never ever would start the relationship with this company. As of this time and hour, regardless the many phone calls i made, several minutes spent on hold, many emails sent... my issue is still not solved and i keep being bounced from one rep to the other. Total lack of care or ownership. Extremely poor and painful experience so far!

Amanda Moore Hendersonville, TN

DO NOT use this company! The only reason l gave it a “star” was due to it being required in order to give this review. My husband is a retired veteran and we were looking for a company to refinance our home with. Wanting to make home improvements, we wanted to take some of the equity out of our home. Initially everything was running smoothly. We were able to speak to the underwriter, broker and his manager freely. Based on credit scores and income we were approved. A home inspection would be required… which we had to pay over half of this fee up front, out of pocket, costing us hundreds along with a costly termite inspection. Again at our expense, which would have been fine if the deal was completed, however this is where our story becomes infuriating!!! Freedom Mortgage picked the appraiser. The man was sent to our home and when he came inside to take measurements l knew that this was going to be a mess. Once he was inside he repeatedly measured the same spaces. For example, the upstairs hallway. He measured it, went to another room, came back and measured the hallway again and at this point he noticed l was watching. He told me that he needed to go to his car to get his calculator because the numbers weren’t adding up. I later found out that when he measured, he would got different measurements. This was just one incident of the many incompetent things that happened. When he was finished measuring the home he sat in my living room and said he would double check his work by looking at the court records for our home. Meaning that whatever numbers he felt he had in error would be filled in by measurements someone else took at a different time. I thought… what could the harm be? This home is 21 years old and since day one it has always had the same square footage. There had been no additions and definitely no subtracts. It is a brick home and we did not cut a room off (sarcasm there). In our subdivision we have street names that are the same but with different endings. Mail is always being messed up due to this and it’s a little frustrating. For example there is 123 Elm ST, 123 Elm LN, 123 Elm CT etc. all within the subdivision. We live on a street like that with the exact same number only we live on “Street”. I found out later that the court record that the appraiser pulled was for “Lane” which has 400 LESS sq ft than our home. So, our comps were pulled based on this smaller home. That’s where the fun began (again more sarcasm). When l called Freedom to explain what had happened l was advised to submit paperwork in hopes of clearing up this mess. I did. I submitted the last appraisal that we had completed in 2019 along with documents of when we purchased the home proving this guy was off by 400 sq ft. He pulled comps based on “his sq footage”. I have no idea where he found these comp homes because the values were below selling prices. If correct square footage and comp homes were submitted, our home would have accurately been appraised for $75,000- $100,000 more than the value he gave us. I notified over broker, Doug M about this problem, and was advised to submit documentation supporting the values l was referring to. He said he would forward all of this information to his boss, John “Jack” N. To be fair, I sent them 8 homes, that sold within the last 6 months, based on the low sq footage the appraiser gave us. They were all $25,000 ABOVE his number. Homes listed with our correct square footage are SELLING… some not even staying on the market for 24 hours… for $75,000 to $100,000 over the appraised amount the man gave us. I gave all of this information to Doug M who forwarded it to his boss, John (Jack) N. Eventually, Jack sent me an email stating that the appraiser “did admit that the square footage was incorrect but in the overall review for valuation change was deemed to be close enough to market trend in your area for any reconsideration of original value given. Essentially we're stuck with the original value”. So we were STUCK due to this incompetence even though l submitted proof that the comps he pulled were off by THOUSANDS. So, let’s fast forward. Last week my husband and l began leaving multiple messages and emails for Doug and Jack and on the 8th day leaving messages, Doug finally sent me an email denying the loan due lack of equity which all began with the inaccurate appraisal and said there wasn’t anything else that could be done because we have a Veterans loan and the “RULES” are that a home will not be allowed a new appraisal for 6 months. Oh, and there’s $22k of debt that Freedom Mortgage has listed with our paperwork that we do NOT have!!! I also explained this situation to Doug and Jack and Sherry Q, who was handling the paperwork. Now we are stuck here with this appraisal for 6 months. As l mentioned, my husband served his country for many years until he retired from the military and due to incompetence our hands are basically tied. There’s so much more to this story but l’m hoping l gave enough information to a consumer, or fellow veteran reading this review, that you will stop business with Freedom Mortgage and let another company profit from your hard earned dollars.

Bill Colyer AZ

I recently did a "Streamline" refinance to lower my montlhy payment. After getting surprised by the fees associated I decided to pursue since the rate was lower and lower monthly payments. ~ 6 months into the refinance I get a note from Freedom Mortgage that my escrow account was short resulting in an increase in my monthly payment that is now higher than before spending thousands with them in fees for the refi!!!!

Sarah Biondo Phoenix, AZ

We have had our mortgage purchased several times, but freedom mortgage helped us with a streamline refi, which saved us money on our mortgage and dropped our interest rate, which was fantastic. We haven't had any issues and therefore have had an overall great experience without issues and with the positive interaction of the refinancing of our loan.

Jay Prestridge Birmingham, AL

Freedom Mortgage kept sending me information to refinance.When I agreed too refinance, I was told I would receive 2K at closing.When all was said and done,Freedoom was going to give me a check for $118.Plus the deal wasn’t that good anyway,when I canceled the closing,haven’t heard a word from those guys. It’s called manipulating a poor dumbass like myself,you don’t know you’ve been manipulated until it’s over,be careful.

Timothy H Fleenor Toronto, ON

Worst company I have ever had to deal with. Freedom mortgage is in it for the quick buck more than anything. once they buy your loan they continually harass you to drop your rate even when asked to stop. Their website has had nothing but issues from the start and now I can't even make a password to access it (been trying for 2 days and over 50 combinations) This company is ridiculous, if they bought your loan, i would refinance just to get it away frrom them. I wish we could put in clauses making it illegal to sell to them or others in general.

Jon Waxbom Tucson, AZ

Do not trust this company. They will buy your mortgage then ask you to refi and promise it will cost nothing and that they don't want to lose you as a customer. You keep saying nothing is free and they keep saying they don't want to lose you as a customer. You finally go along with it and low and behold they swindle you out of $3200. Stay away - if they buy your mortgage refi to a new lender. Run.

Kadidia Cooper Verden an der Aller, NI

I don't know that it's even worth writing a review, This is THE WORST company I have dealt with _ EVER. And I have dealt with some bad customer service. All I really need to do is refer you all to the reviews written before me, because I have experienced all of that. All of my mortgages were sold to this company, I had no choice in the matter and from day 1 I have had nothing but problems. It is so bad in fact that I told my mortgage broker (who I love) that I will no longer be doing business with her because I simply cannot have any more of my mortgages be sold to Freedom Mortgage. If you are a getting a choice in the matter, do NOT choose Freedom Mortgage. They are more than capable of bombarding me with mail and phone calls regarding refinance and extra services, but cannot even minimally adequately manage the loans they already hold. They can't even get me off their mailing lists and onto electronic statements. I have given up. I have sold a home where they held the mortgage - it was a disaster and almost cost me the sale. I have refinanced a home with them b/c I could not go to a different lender - it was a disaster and took over a year. I tried to to modify a loan with them - it was so much of a disaster that after over 1 year, I simply gave up. I have never in all these processes talked to the same person twice. Phone calls and email were never returned. Status updates were never given. My escrow accounts are a holy mess. This company sucks.

Sheldon Watson Fort Lauderdale, FL

I had Freedom for multiple mortgages up until this past time I tried to purchase. WHAT A NIGHTMARE! They seem to have the sloppiest back office processes and two days prior to closing they came back with a list of 13 items they needed including "Value to be identified from online sources for all pool equipment - itemized list to be provided - with purchase price reduced, or all personal property to be removed from contract." The bottom line is they didn't have the paperwork moving so they threw insane requirements to me (mind you I was only borrowing 15% of the purchase price of the house... going in with 85% cash) to push the timelines out so they could charge me another $500 fee for a rate lock because they hadn't completed their steps. The staff requested the same letters over and over after getting sent them each month (why do I need to provide written letters every 15 days to tell you there is no HOA because "it expired"). So I ended up purchasing the property all in cash and would never suggest anyone work with them again. It was a complete fiasco and showcased total lack of respect.

Amy New York, NY

I just got transferred over to them from home point Mortgage, not my decision, and I’ve had problems paying them and it’s only been 3 months with them. The last payment I did they don’t acknowledge and I have a bank statement saying they were payed but now they have to “research” what happened before they can credit my account. Meanwhile they’re charging me late fees and I’m scared to pay my November mortgage. I feel someone in their team isn’t being honest and I’m extremely stressed by this whole ordeal. I don’t trust them to give any of my bank account information over the phone. Three months in a row of pure incompetence

Maria Jakovic

Freedom mortgage is a joke ,,, I have the home loan not by choose but my loan was transferred from pulte to freedom mortgage and I don’t have anything good to say about his companies not even one good word it’s sad to know that the representatives are not knowledgeable to know anything any simple question you ask but they have to put you on hold for minutes to hours I’m researching your question , excuse me whattttttt ,,, spoke to 5 representative and on line fredoom mortgage it showed that my loan was payed in full on October 5Th that I made the payments and then I come to find out that is not on October 13 at 11pm I decided to log in to my online account with freedom mortgage and it indicates I do for the October and November payment on November 1st ,,I was furious I called freedom mortgage the next morning spoke to a representative to tell me that the previous representers gives you wrong information you’re not supposed to make the payment on freedom mortgage online services you supposed to send them certified check for the payoff to key bank in Cleveland Ohio ( the first time I heard this and I didn’t even know thats the bank the loan is thru wooow what a shock keep customers in the dark less you know more we can take advantage of you ) and ask him is it the amount or what is the reason of the certified check for the payoff even do I made large amounts of payment previously and they went thru, did not know to tell me ,,, so all the previous representative ware informing me that the payoff went thru and online services showed payed off what a joke this company’s are becoming too be , like Where is the level of their knowledge , there ethic and humanety to do the right thing 🤔 by lying and misleading clients is not the right thing to do woooow really What a joke .I was supposed to speak to a professional representative at the huge company that should have the right answers and right directions for me so here I am October 14 I got to take time out of my busy schedule to go to the bank and make a certified check wired to the key bank in Cleveland and hopefully that solve this but right now I have so much doubt and waiting to see what else can go wrong,,, I totally lost confidence in them and I’m so so blessed and thankful to god that I’m able to pay it off and don’t have to deal with this jokesters or this company ever again and they lost my business for ever and everyone person I know around me ,, take good care people and people will take good care you back ,, you forgot the Simple rules of our human existence .

Dawn Duke Jackson, TN

I cannot even honestly validate giving a star to this company. The customer service in not only unprofessional but you never get a call back when promised. They buy out mortgages without consent of the homeowners then surprise you with mortgage payments all without closing papers being signed. Then send threatening letters of foreclosure when you haven't even closed with them. No one knows what the other person is doing and no one can ever answer any questions clearly. To have seen high reviews previously and after the experience my parents have had with them I would NEVER recommend for anyone to use this company or even have one thought of using them. They are scam artists at their finest and are only out to take advantage of customers/people. Highly dissatisfied and disgusted with this company and their fake apologies and worthless promises.

Jennifer Burns Fort Myers, FL

I applied for a refi loan through Freedom Mortgage. That loan took 6 months to reach closing. I spoke to about 3 dozen different people along the way, never the same person. I often had no idea what the hold up was or where I was in the process. Along the way when I would get documents there were fees listed that I was told would be waived. I was told not to worry, those would come off at closing. No closing costs and no fees would be rolled into my loan. Freedom, had my current loan with a cushioned escrow account. When I received the closing documents, my current escrow was being used to pay down my current loan. And a new escrow was being financed so my loan amount appeared to be lowered. In addition I had over $1000 in closing fees I was told would be waived. I was being asked to finance my home for $4500 more than the payoff. I obviously didn't complete the refi. Buyer beware!

Amanda Plaisted Bozeman, MT

I almost never write reviews, but Freedom Mortgage is just that bad that they've earned it. I have received literally the worst customer service from Freedom Mortgage than I have from any other company. My VA loan was purchased from the original lender by Freedom Mortgage, and everything was fine until I needed help to refinance. There does not seem to be any communication between the employees and they never know what is actually going on. On the rare occasion that I have actually been lucky enough to get ahold of someone, I've been given incorrect and inconsistent information. The loan officer told me it would take 30-45 days to complete, but it has now been six months and I still have not been told where we are at in the process or what the expected timeline is. I have left at least 20 messages for our loan officer and his support staff, emailed his supervisor (because they wouldn't give me his phone number), and have received ZERO response. A short and simple explanation of where we are at in the process would suffice, but they seem incapable of even returning a phone call or email. At this point there is no excuse for their lack of communication and poor customer service, and I would not recommend Freedom Mortgage to anyone looking for a competent lender.

Hamed Babaizadeh Baton Rouge, LA

**My detailed refinance experience with Freedom Mortgage** Freedom Mortgage was my original mortgage company and I refinanced my loan with them. It took them 6 months for a process that according to themselves takes only 45 days. Loan Officer(s) - I was approached by Mr. XXXX to refinance my mortgage with Freedom Mortgage: I was told I would save around $11,000 if I do the refinance over the remaining term (which was 12 years and 3 month in March 2021). Later, I figured out this was not true. Since I would not need to pay the mortgage insurance starting August 2021 anyway and this was not included in the savings calculations presented to me. In addition to this, later it turned out I have to pay some closing costs as well. I was also told an appraisal would not be required for this refinance since Freedom Mortgage is currently my lender. This can be verified if they refer to his conversation with me on their "recorded line". It is hard for me to believe a loan officer does not know that the PMI will be removed from a loan after it has reached 20% of the loan amount and to consider this in the savings estimate. When I reached out to him multiple times via phone and e-mail, he never responded back to me and later someone notified me that he does not work for the Freedom mortgage anymore. - After I signed the documents and noticed my savings would not be what I was told, Ms. XXXX called me and mentioned an Appraiser will come to appraise my house for this loan! While I was waiting to hear Freedom Mortgage is ready to schedule the closing, she sent me electronic documents to sign saying if I don't take action immediately, you will not continue with my application. One of these documents was a request to pay for my homeowners insurance policy in full. It took me two weeks and lots of communication to explain to her that Freedom Mortgage is my CURRENT mortgage company and you guys pay the policy for me every year and put the fee in my escrow. She finally consulted with her supervisor and apologized for this. - Ms. XXXX, the manager who was assigned to my application to clean up this anarchy, hardly responded to my phone calls and never responded to my email inquiries in a timely manner. Appraisal Ms. XXXX came to my house to perform the appraisal on 03/26/2021. On 04/16/2021 I received an email notifying another appraiser will contact me to schedule an appraisal for my house! I contacted Ms. XXXX and she said she is behind and she is not able to finish her report. Mr. XXXX came to my house on 05/04/2021 and finished and submitted the appraisal report to Freedom Mortgage on 05/13/2021. The fee for this appraisal seems to be included in my closing! Ms. XXXX contacted me on 06/29/2021 informing me your underwriters have completed their review and provided a conditional approval. However, since the area where my property is located is considered one of the areas affected by the recent storms, Freedom Mortgage will need to order another appraisal for my property. During all these months, there was not a single day Freedom Mortgage was waiting on me to provide them with any documents or information. It was always the other way around. Since Ms. XXXX took over my application after (4 months) things started to move forward smoothly and as expected. She finally cleaned up the mess caused by many irresponsible Freedom Mortgage employees. Concerns I have been a good customer of Freedom Mortgage for 3 years now. I have never missed a payment. Even during the COVID period that unfortunately a lot of people have not been able to pay their payments on time. A speedy and less stressful refinance process was the least I expected from Freedom Mortgage. I spent hours every week on the phone and computer contacting Freedom Mortgage to see why this application was not being completed. I have a full-time job and this was very time consuming for me. This process took the chance of getting the lowest refinance rates with the other companies away from me and the rates went up every day. One lesson learned was I should not have trusted them and should have proceeded my application with other lenders as well. I was under a lot of emotional stress caused by Freedom Mortgage and so disappointed in not hearing a decent response from their representatives. I had to push back my international travel plan because of this application. Dishonesty and disrespect are my redlines and they were crossed many times since I started the refinancing process. This is not a professional business model to convince customers (by providing inaccurate information) to sign documents and leave them in a limbo afterwards.

Jennifer Goins La Plata, MD

I love the way this company answers phones quickly, they have an A1 knowledge based understanding of every product that they offer and for me that goes a long way.

Amanda Hastings, MI

Very good and helpful when it comes to setting things up, late payments, options instead of or to prevent foreclosures. Somewhat difficult to speak to the correct person and/or update things by phone through an agent. Mostly everything must be changed/verified online.

Dru Lonoke, AR

My loan was sold to Freedom over 2 years ago. As a Veteran in the U.S. Army, I used the VA Loan option. Since joining with Freedom Mortgage they have lowered my interest rate twice, something I would not have had at the original lender. Overall, my experience has been good.

Veronica K San Antonio, TX

Have been with Freedom Mortgage for just over 5 years and have not had any issues. They helped me when I needed a payment plan and have always answered the phone for me. I have a VA loan and no issues. Sad to see others have had issues so I'm not sure why. Was just offered the lower rate, part of Eagle Eye program too. Very friendly and recommend.

Carl Morrell Raleigh, NC

The whole process to refinance my home was flawless even during the pandemic. From the approval to the signing date, the process was smooth and fast. I would recomend this company to anyone looking to get a new mortgage or are refinancing for a better rate.

Sisy Las Vegas, NV

I spoke with Lucinda, a supervisor, at Freedom Mortgage. I hope no one else has the same unpleasant experience. I called in to check the status of a check that I should have received. Lucinda fixed issues she thought were pertinent and ignored every issue I thought was pertinent. Customer service was not poor. Rather, it was inexistent. I had to ask to be transferred to someone beneath her to get my concerns addressed.

dexterlee Austin, TX

Some of the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. My role requires to me to be public facing at time and I pride myself on taking care of people when they need my assistance. Long story short, they approached me about refinancing and then made the process so insanely difficult that I decided to continue to pay more each month versus continue the process. The failures, inability to respond timely and general incompetence were astounding. I would never choose to use this lender again.

Josh Rockford, MI

Amateur Hour - Bad enough mortgages these days get passed around like a spliff. These incompetent idiots never even bothered to ensure their infrastructure was set up enough to accept payments. Could not even log in to their website as the new mortgage number was not recognized within their own database until 7 days after the first payment was due. Now I can't even set up recurring payments. Gee, wouldn't it be nice if there was some kind of government regulatory committee in charge of vetting loser organizations like this from buying these assets up?

Dan Pierce Fargo, ND

Not a good one. Freedom Mortgage was unwilling to work with me . I tried calling in multiple times about a payment discrepancy before due date. Since I couldn't get through to customer service for a week I ended up getting a 30 day LATE, which caused me to lose my 2nd house close to my work. What is a customer suppose to do if customer service doesn't pickup during the pandemic. Think I'm lying you try calling them.

Ben Allen Beebe, AR

I'll just post a copy of the letter I sent to their CEO: Dear Sir, This is the first time in my 63 years that I have made the effort to find the way to contact a CEO of a corporation. I am writing in reference to loan #0113658652 on my property located in Beebe Arkansas I had been a very satisfied customer of Freedom Mortgage about 7 years. Even to the point of recommending FM to several of my friends and my son. I have gone through a couple of re-finances as the rates dropped. I never missed nor was late on a single payment. As stated, I had been extremely pleased with Freedom’s customer service until the last month. I got a mailer from Freedom describing your cash out re-fi loans which interested me and I called. I talked to a customer service rep (and I apologize that I don’t have names but this should be verifiable if they do keep records of customer contacts.) This rep promised to check the possibilities and get back with me the next day. That day passed along with another day with no call back so I tried again with exactly the same results. I then sent an e-mail to your customer service regarding the lack of response I was experiencing. I waited several days with no contact back. I then tried calling a third time and got someone on the phone who said she made an appointment for a loan rep to call me the next day. As before, no contact at all. I wouldn’t have been upset if someone had just had the courtesy to contact me and tell me that what I wanted was not possible but no one even went that far. By the way my son never could get a call back from your company either. I then contacted New Day and my cash out re-fi went through with them very smoothly thus my loan with FM has been paid off early and whatever money you would have made from the interest will go to someone else. I don’t know what is going on with Freedom Mortgage but I can no longer recommend them again as this kind of lack of customer service is totally intolerable. I’m sure that one dissatisfied customer might not be that important but if this is becoming a trend it will eventually make an impact on your bottom line. There’s nothing that can be done to get me back as a customer but I thought you should know so you can take steps to make sure others don’t have to endure unsatisfactory customer service that I received.

Kyle Fiaschetti Charlotte, NC

I am so displeased with this company I would put 0 stars if I could. We have been trying to refinance our house for MONTHS. I’d call a couple times a week and never get a call back ever, weeks later I’d finally get a returned call. We FINALLY set a closing date and then THE DAY OF closing after I already took time off work to meet the attorney, freedom mortgage called and cancelled it because they needed an extra document…. How does that come up the day of closing?? So then 4 weeks go by and I hear not one word. I’m left totally in the dark. I finally hear from them today and now they’re saying I can’t refinance because my wife took time off work because we had a baby… WHICH THEY KNEW FROM THE START. My income was more than enough and I was told from the start hers wouldn’t effect anything and now all of a sudden it does. Wasted 3 months of my life for no reason atall. I am switching company’s and refinancing with someone else because this was such a absurd experience.

Lynn Christopher Buford, GA

My mortgage was unfortunately transferred to them, and received no notice for almost 2 months. I have a 806 beacon score, and had to call my old mortgage company to find out how to pay the mortgage on time. I paid on time, and they never paid my insurance that was in escrow!!!! My insurance company (UPC) canceled me, and my mortgage went up because Freedom Mortgage signed me up with their insurance company! This is unbelievable!!! And now they have sold my information and are constantly sending me ads for refinancing! I absolutely refuse to do business with this horribly corrupt company, and am trying to figure out a way to get transferred to a new company. They don’t even have an app, and everything is antiquated. I am so unhappy with them, I just want out.