Freedom Mortgage Logo

Freedom Mortgage

Is This Your Business?

5.0

LAST UPDATED: November 22nd, 2022

Freedom Mortgage is a full-service mortgage lender that is licensed in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.

The company's goal is to help customers achieve the American dream of home ownership with a particular focus on helping veterans receive affordable home financing. Veterans should make sure to look into the specialty loan products, such as the VA interest rate reduction refinance loan (IRRRL) which makes refinancing easy, simple and affordable compared to industry standards.

Satisfied customers are quick to mention the company's outstanding customer service. But, 60 percent of Freedom Mortgage reviews are 1-star.

Jump down to read Freedom Mortgage reviews from real customers.

search

Highlight: Freedom Mortgage awards and accolades*

• #1 VA lender in the nation
  • #1 FHA lender lender in the nation
  • Top residential lender in the nation

*Awarded by Inside Mortgage Finance, Jan-Sept 2020.

The Good

Variety of Loan Types

Freedom Mortgage makes it easy for nearly any kind of homebuyer to find the right loan product. It offers a variety of home loan options:

• Fixed Rate Loan
  • Adjustable Rate Mortgage Loan (ARM)
  • VA Loan
  • FHA Loan
  • USDA Loan

These options are typically offered by most mortgage lenders, but it is worth noting that Freedom Mortgage offers USDA loans, an option not made available with many other lenders. However, Freedom Mortgage doesn't offer jumbo loans, an option that you will typically see with other lenders to meet the needs of borrowers purchasing a home beyond the conforming home loan limit.

VA Loan Benefits

Freedom Mortgage is titled as the #1 VA loan lender in the nation.

Backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, VA loans help service men and women achieve homeownership with a 0 percent down payment. With VA loans, there is no private mortgage insurance, no minimum credit score, and rates are low. The company's VA affordability and refinance calculators assist prospective borrowers as they compare loan amounts and details. Plus, veterans can re-use this benefit multiple times.

In addition to veteran home purchasing services, Freedom Mortgage provides VA refinancing options:

• VA Cash-Out Refinance
  • VA IRRRL Refinance

FHA-Insured Loans

It is typical for many mortgage lenders to offer FHA insurance home loans as one of its services. Freedom Mortgage has FHA loans available which are widely popular among first time homebuyers and other low income potential homebuyers. Below is a list of the qualifications for its FHA insurance loans:

• Minimum credit score of 540
  • Minimum down payment of 3.5%
  • Low PMI rates
  • Debt-to-income ratio must be below 43%
  • Steady employment history

Freedom Mortgage also offers a FHA Refinance loan option for qualified borrowers.

USDA Loans Available

Freedom mortgage offers USDA loans, an option that isn't widely available with other mortgage companies. USDA loans are a government-backed loan type, backed by the United States Department of Agriculture.

A USDA loan is a zero down payment loan option, only available to borrowers purchasing eligible rural properties; metropolitan areas typically aren't eligible property locations.

Refinancing Options

Freedom Mortgage offers refinancing services to help homeowners pay off their loan sooner, reduce their loan term and monthly payment, or get a lower interest rate.

Freedom Mortgage offers the following mortgage refinancing options:

• Conventional Refinance
  • FHA Refinance
  • VA Cash-Out Refinance
  • VA IRRRL Refinance

The company's site has a helpful chart showing the difference between a conventional refinance, VA loan refinance, and FHA loan refinance.

Both the VA loan refinance process and FHA loan refinance process involve less documentation and no appraisal. In addition, the VA loan refinance actually has a special program, unique to Freedom Mortgage, called a VA interest rate reduction refinance loan or a VA IRRRL. This specialty refinance loan guarantees less documentation, quicker closing times, lower rates, low funding fees, better rates, and more. It is a great deal for veterans that are looking to refinance their home loan.

In addition, Cash-out refinancing, is available to qualifying borrowers who want to get cash out from their home's equity to pay off high-interest debt, consolidate bills, make home improvements, or pay for a major expense. This does take more time and additional paperwork. Private mortgage insurance, loan-to-value ratio limits, and loan restrictions may apply.

Eagle Eye Pledge

The company has a unique program, called the Eagle Eye Pledge, that works actively to save you money. This monitoring program contacts you about interest rate, home equity, and promotional changes that you may be able to take advantage of.

For example, Freedom Mortgage will contact you if interest rates drop and you can benefit from a lower your monthly payment. It will also let you know if the value of your home increases, giving you access to more cash through a larger home equity loan or home equity line of credit (HELOC).

In comparison to other mortgage lenders, a very small percentage of them actively update you on ways to reduce your mortgage rate and mortgage payment, making Freedom Mortgage stand apart from the competition. If you are buying a house at a time when the market has uncharacteristically high interest rates, then you can feel peace of mind knowing that Freedom Mortgage will contact you in the future if you qualify for a lower mortgage rate.

Mortgage Calculators

Freedom Mortgage provides two helpful calculators to see how much you can afford on a new loan or how much you can save through refinancing a loan:

• Mortgage Affordability calculator
  • Refinance calculator

These are helpful features because Freedom Mortgage does not provide a specific interest rate range or loan terms, since both are reliant upon your personal circumstances.

Mortgage Payment Assistance

If you are unable to make your mortgage payment, it is your responsibility to contact Freedom Mortgage as soon as possible and work with your loan officer to find the best solution for you.

Through your Freedom Mortgage account you can easily download and submit a Hardship request online. Based on your individual circumstances, and provided information and documentation, there may be programs and solutions available to you for either a temporary period or long-term.

It is unclear exactly what programs and solutions Freedom Mortgage provides, such as forbearance, but there is assistance available.

The Bad

Website Transparency

More information is needed to see how Freedom Mortgage stacks up against other mortgage companies regarding eligibility, closing costs, and interest rates.

For example, we can't make an estimate for an interest rate with our control scenario because the monthly payments calculators on the company's website have you enter in your own interest rate. However, the default interest rate is listed as 4.6 percent, so we assume that is the rate borrowers with excellent credit can expect.

No Home Equity Loans or Lines of Credit (HELOCs)

Freedom Mortgage does offer a cash-out refinance option for those wishing to access funds from their home equity. However, the company doesn't offer home equity loans or lines of credit (HELOCs). If you are looking for either of those specific loan types you'll need to look into other mortgage lender options.

Freedom Mortgage Reviews

Upon comparing 100+ customer reviews for Freedom Mortgage, over half of the reviews were one-star reviews. Much of the negative feedback points to similar issues. Some of the most common complaints from these one-star reviews include:

• Poor customer service
  • Unclear guidelines and loan terms
  • A difficult mortgage process
  • A general lack of transparency
  • Issues with escrow accounts

However, it should be noted that the sample size of these customer reviews is fairly small so make sure to get both sides of the story before making a final decision.

View Best Mortgage Lenders

The Bottom Line

Freedom Mortgage is a well-known mortgage company that has a particular focus on providing mortgage solutions for military veterans and other members of the military community. Providing various VA home purchase and refinance loan options, Freedom mortgage is a good fit for members of the military.

The company's conventional loan options can meet the needs of various types of homebuyers. But what really sets Freedom Mortgage apart is its Eagle Eye Pledge. This program demonstrates the company's commitment to its customers by alerting them of any changes in interest rates, home equity, and other promotions, helping them save the most money they can on their mortgage loan.

Freedom Mortgage reviews are somewhat limited, but more than half of customers have awarded the company only 1 star, and most of these reviews do not speak highly of Freedom Mortgage's customer service. Based on these reviews alone, we would recommend looking into other mortgage lender options. But, it can always be helpful to speak with a company representative if you have any specific questions or concerns.

View Best Mortgage Lenders

2.1

Office Email New Freedom, PA

They bought my loan and raised my monthly, while neglecting to pay any taxes, or home insurance in my escrow.. Absolute trash company that operates on predatory methods trying to force a homeowner into foreclosure by mailing them out statements saying they dont owe their monthly.

April H Cape Coral, FL

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! They deserve ZERO stars. Do yourself a favor and go with a different, better mortgage company. (A real company). Worst customer service ever. Their loss draft dept is inconsiderate and very rude.

Greg Zekoff Chandler, AZ

I received notice that my mortgage had been sold to Freedom Mortgage. About a day later I received a letter saying my mortgage was delinquent and they would consider turning into credit bureau. About a day later I get a letter from my insurance company saying escrow insurance wasn't paid and they would cut off insurance if not paid. I wish I could do something but when your mortgage is sold to someone else you are kind of at their mercy. Not good

Moody Family Oswego, IL

They bought our VA loan and then spent 5 months refusing to honor our VA tax exemption. They threatened us with foreclosure after the first 3 months of not honoring our exemption. Now 2 more months later they still have not surrendered the escrow refund check they owe us. I am furious with this company and would never ever choose to do business with them. This is a terrible company.

Dr. Janet L. Deskins Orlando, FL

We have been waiting for someone to fix our loan.  All we get are apologies, but now someone took us out of loss mitigation! Now we are faced with losing our home.  This is not right. We have continued to call every 2 weeks and are told our mortgage will be fixed. Can someone please send us the correct paperwork that honors the attached letter? We can then begin paying on our home. It is extremely upsetting that nobody seems to know what to do. Yet, we get phone calls demanding we pay all of the monies from the forbearance. Please please fix our loan and honor the 3.625% rate we have been waiting on since March 2022. The agreement letter is in our file and dated 2/9/22. Yet, the papers we are to sign have not been sent. We simply need someone to send us the correct paperwork to sign.  Please get this fixed. We have complied with all requests and yet the correct paperwork has not been received. Thank you

Stacey Stevens Hubbard, OR

Absolute trash customer service. We had a tree fall on our house 9 months ago. Freedom mortgage has been withholding our funds from our insurance company to complete repairs for months now. We have had to pay for most of the repairs out of our own pockets. Just when we think we’ve supplied them with all required documents, they add more. But don’t bother notifying us that they need additional forms. So we wait their allotted 5 processing days for our check to arrive, then call when it doesn’t, only to be told they need something else now. This has been going on for month. Unfortunately we are now seeking legal representation.

Jerry Lee McKinney, TX

I have been with several mortgage companies since becoming a homeowner. Freedom Mortgage is definitely the best. Since I have been with them, they have offered to refinance my mortgage to lower my interest rate. I have done this twice since being with them. Not many mortgage companies would do that. Another thing I really like about Freedom Mortgage is that they take the correct amount out of my paycheck each payday to cover half my mortgage for a month. That is a nice option, I don't have to remember to pay my mortgage each month. I think Freedom Mortgage is the best mortgage company around!

Reconciled to God

This is the worst, most unprofessional company ever. They are no help for your needs, so not apply your money correctly, leave you on hold too long and are very subtly sarcastic. DO NOT USE THEM!!! JANNIE AND TYTAINA made my experience hell on the phone!

Patrick Ian LaFollette, TN

I recently engaged freedom mortgage in a cash out refinance, to help with high interest credit cards and to do some much needed work on my home. I was quoted a monthly mortgage payment of $787 which I agreed to. Approximately 2 weeks later, that number had risen to $910.35. I was not informed of this increase until after I had spent about $650 for inspections and the VA property appraisal. Freedom mortgage was well aware of the mortgage payment that I agreed to but, failed to notify me of the increase. If I had known then what I know now, I would avoid freedom mortgage like the plague.

BTaylor Marrero, LA

Freedom Mortgage is full of representatives that are clueless, uneducated, and some who just plainly are unwilling to help. Every time I call I get a different representative who I have to restate my story over and over. What about notations on the account or is that too much work for the representative to do? Since Hurricane Ida hit, August 29,2021, I have been dealing with loss mitigation and loan modification. To this day,September 1,2022, it is still not settled. We were sent paperwork to be notarized and it had my maiden name on it. Needless to say my name is not on the loan itself but it had to be on the loan modification. That I don’t understand. Anyway I sent in the information they requested, but when it came to my marriage license, I was called twice because supposedly they did not receive it at the loss mitigation email address. So when we got the second set of paperwork, it again had my maiden name on it even after they received all documents. We were told to keep paying our monthly note. Then we were told not to. The monthly notes we did pay after the application for loan modification showed received but not added to our back payment. We now have received papers saying if we didn’t turn in our financials we would have to pay all back pay in one lump sum. I tried calling about it, the 2 representatives didn’t see nothing on my account about being in loss mitigation or the letter sent to me. I am done, I am done. I think it is time to seek legal counsel.

tina slater Sanger, CA

I have been with Freedom Mortgage since 2019, I'm very happy with them. Always a great pleasure to speak with customer service who are always helpful with information and my concerns

carole abel Palm Coast, FL

we just finished our financing our home with freedom, as we refinanced after a year since we bought our home. We are grateful for freedom's ease of application, quick response time and professionalism. They made it very easy to buy a home at such an uncertain time in the country's economy, especially at our age. We got a decent rate but wanted to pay off some property taxes and get rid of insurance so we refi'ed; we priced Freedom and a few others and went with another company that was much larger and more affordable than Freedom's but was impressed how the two companies worked together. Freedom even refunded us some monies that were held in escrow- we highly recommend them to anyone needing a mortgage

Dennis Richardson Boise, ID

Freedom Mortgage is the worst mortgage company I have ever delt with in my life. They set you up for financial loss, Take your money while not completing services, and then do nothing to rectify the situation. I would encourage the world to stay as far away from this company as possible.

Nancy Roque Homestead, FL

This company would send me a letter monthly to verify if I had flood insurance. I complied every time. They went ahead and placed a flood insurance policy and charged me$2,000. I have had to hire an attorney and still, no resolution. So, now they sent a letter stating that I must change flood insurance companies. They are the WORST! Buyer beware!

Bill Sa Palm Beach Gardens, FL

This company is a scam. Problems with their incompetence from the day our mortgage was sold to these people. They refused to pay our insurance company $2,200 (1,100 sqft home) and we didn’t find out until a year later which is when they said they “found out” we didn’t have insurance and decided to charge us $11,300 for insurance for the PREVIOUS year insurance and the upcoming year that only covers “outside structure”, over $5,150 per year. Now we are going to have to hire a lawyer to get our $5,150 back. If you need a mortgage go anywhere else unless you want a headache every quarter. If interest rates were not so high we would refinance in a heartbeat to get away from these scumbags. Hope they sleep well at night driving Porsche and Maseratis while stealing food from my kids mouth.

Paul Konschnik Mountain Top, PA

Original fha loan 2017, refinanced in may 2021 never was told about conventional loan( so they could keep the $93 a month) original loan had both my house and back parcel. Told refinance agent numerous times about both they even looked it up themselves to verify. Well received a new payment of additional 400 a month guess they didn’t put it in; now every time I try and get help and answers it’s just transfer after transfer between escrow taxes and customer care. Would not recommend this company to anyone

Jamila Maxie

They are very nice and eager to help you, but they do tend to try and get you to re-finance all the time. Everytime my husband would tell them that he is not interested in re-financing, they keep calling and calling and calling to try to change your mind

Vikki Jones Havre de Grace, MD

Freedom Mortgage has been with us every step of the way in our new home ownership experience. We recently had a challenging mishap and Freedom Mortgage guide us through. They are easy to talk to and are there for support and guidance. Thank you Freedom Mortgage. I highly recommend Freedom!

Gary K Templeton, MA

Unbelievable! These people are crooks. My loan was sold to them and they instantly double billed our PMI and are trying to defend it even though I have all the documentation to prove it! STAY AWAY from this company! As a bonus,, customer service put me on hold twice and hung up on me.

chris yount Augusta, GA

Ever since my deceased parents' loan was transferred to Freedom Mortgage in June, it has been 1 issue after another; in June I had to resubmit the appropriate documentation that I was the personal representative for my parents' estates. I login and created a new account around June 14th, & successfully made my 1st payment at that time, fast forward to July 1st - July 26th, I still haven't been able to successfully login to my account. The website keeps sending me to the welcome to my freedom page & only allows for me to change my password to keep doing the same thing over & over again. I've had 5 different conversations with 5 different customer service reps & 3 emails sent by them to their IT Dept, but I still haven't been about to access the account information. I'm beyond frustrated dealing with this company & not seeing any results........they are complete trash

Samantha Heilman Watertown, NY

Our mortgage was sold to Freedom, and we didn't really have any issues. But wind damaged our roof, and an insurance check was cut for under 25k. In short, they tried to say I sent it to the wrong location, and they never received it. I over nighted it with a tracking label, to confirm I did indeed send it to the correct place, and their employee signed for it. They keep telling me they are looking for it, and that I should wait weeks for them to have that time. While my roof could have already been replaced, I am waiting for them to look. Losing confidential information makes me concerned. Where did it go? Who has that information? How is there no system in place to avoid this? And no one will call me back. I continue to call, to be placed on hold, so they can call me back on said date, to never call back. If I cancel the check, it's at least another 3 or 4 weeks till I have the check back, let a lone if they lose it.. AGAIN. All I want is the funds to fix my roof.

Wayne Davis Lebanon, OR

Dealt with them on a loan many years ago, no problem. Refinanced with them several years ago, no real problem. I tried to do a cash out refinance this year and 5 months and 4 attempts later, I decided they either didn't know what they were doing, or really just didn't want to loan the money and refinance me again, after at least 12 years of doing business with them. I had good credit, $160,000 in equity and was asking for $14,000 cash and refinance the $78,000 balance. The interest rates climbed from 4.5% to 6.9% in the course of 5 months and in the end, they wanted an expensive engineering report in less than 10 days, when they'd loaned twice before without one and it was only about the attached car port as an excuse. I finally told them I felt they didn't really want to loan, due to rapidly rising interest rates and withdrew my application, after paying for two appraisals, one being refunded. Unless you can't find a better place to get a loan, I'd pass on these guys.

Brian Fletcher Satellite Beach, FL

I cancelled auto pay almost a full month before I knew I would close my loan, and they STILL drew a mortgage payment from my bank account AFTER CLOSING. I called them over and over and over (I was the one that initiated the refund of the incorrectly drawn payment, not them - had to argue to get my money back) and, after them having my money for over 2.5 weeks, they told me they would ACH-credit me. They didn't, I called, and they said 'escrow refunds come in the form of a paper check in the mail'. This is not an escrow check, you stole money out of my account after our loan agreement had ended! They refused for days to ACH-credit me, stating that over and over I was only entitled to a refund via paper check by their policies. I reminded them that I don't care about their policies because this money had nothing to do with my loan. It was taken after the loan was formally closed out. I want my money back ASAP, shove your policies where the sun doesn't shine. I talked to about 4 'supervisors' who eventually admitted they had the capability to ACH me, but apparently just didn't want to. When I hopped on my account activity, not only had they taken that payment after closing, they tried to take payments 3 more times! I had to file a formal notice with my bank to refuse all ACH requests from this company for any dollar amount (the bank says sometimes places get slimy and change the amount by $0.01 to sneak it by them). I also filed a complaint with my bank about this lender. Hopefully that goes somewhere. They got back to me today and basically said it will take longer to ACH-credit me (because they have A PROCESS....) than to wait for the check to get here. Still out almost $2k (and they held my ACTUAL escrow for over 2 weeks, that check took 23 days to arrive). I STILL dont have my money, it is almost 4 weeks to the day after they stole it out of my account. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY I've had mortgage loans with 5 banks over the course of my life and to say this is the worst is the easiest statement ever. Absolutely RUN from this company.

Teenah Floyd Anchorage, AK

Freedom Mortgage has been the worst company to work with over the past three years! The first year they did not send the correct amount to our home owners insurance causing us to over pay and ultimately me requesting a escrow analysis. Getting a 300 refund. That same year we refinanced and worked with a loan officer to make that happen. Process was smooth and we completed it within a month or so BUT then Received numerous calls everyday from freedom mortgage asking us to refinance. We were so confused as we JUST had…. In October of 2021 the mortgage company sent me another escrow Analysis stating that our new monthly payment for a mortgage went from 1848 to 2684. We were shocked! Turns out after speaking with customer service representatives that they failed to pay our second half of our property taxes required. Instead of fixing their mistake they put us on the hook to pay almost $600 more a month in mortgage for their mistakes. The good thing out of this is that they did work with us to spread out the amount owed over five grand over five years, making our new mortgage payment 2300 versus upwards of 2700. But going originally from 1848. The right hand does not talk to the left hand with this company. It really is a nightmare to deal with them any time we need to which is FAR too often. From not paying what they need to, name updates, to simple email updates it’s just a pain in the butt. Everything is a chore with them and you’ll need to ask several times for anything to get completed. Automated line will have you pressing option buttons for 10mins before giving you an option to speak with a rep. Make sure to do any needed services with them on your day off. We are really bummed that we were sold to this company when we purchased our home. I’m convinced this is the only way this company receives clients.

Randomperson Charleston, WV

Never enter loss mitigation, the whole thing will end up being a huge mess when you’re working on getting out. They finally accepted our payments but it took forever and at one point they quit taking monthly payments so I had to pay one lump sum. They attempted to make us refinance for a much higher interest rate. We declined. We were trying to wait for the homeowner rescue since Covid was the reason we fell behind. We are caught up now but they are not worth the hassle. We didn’t go through them to get the mortgage, we were bought out from the company we liked that we originally went through, then they bought the company that bought ours out.

ErikaB Menasha, WI

I have been with Freedom Mortgage since I refinanced my home at the beginning of 2021. It had been just like any other mortgage company before until we decided to do the cash out option this year. Initially everything seemed fine until red flags started happening. I was not given all information about the way this worked then suddenly I was told I needed to pay $300 for an appraisal. I was not happy but figured it would be worth it if we were getting thousands of dollars back to be able to pay off other loans. During this whole process we were having a hard time getting our questions answered. I had the main loan advisor Kalev “Kal” S and then Ebony N, Customer Advocate. Neither of them would get back to us in a timely fashion when we’d email them and would never answer when we’d call. Then there was miscommunication between the two because Ebony would be asking for documents that were not needed. Once we decided to move forward with the loan, they sent a notary to our home to sign the documents; however, this person couldn’t answer any of our questions right then and there. In the past when we had refinanced, we’d get the escrow back in a check, so we expected the same, but this wasn’t the case. We found this out after I emailed ebony and had to follow up on my email because she wouldn’t get back to me. Then we had other questions about our new escrow and instead of answering the questions, she told me to call the escrow department for more information…what is the point of these two people then?! After further review of the documents we signed, we noticed there was also an “other escrow” amount that apparently is not included in our monthly payment but Ebony could not provide what this was about and Kal never replied to the email after Ebony asked him to help us answer our questions. Another thing we noticed was that we were never told how much the appraisal would be in total and we come to find out that we paid $300 out of pocket + $275 came out of the loan… so total $575 we paid for this but NOTHING was ever clear. All I gotta say is don’t go for these types of loans and work with a local mortgage lender instead!! We unfortunately learned our lesson the hard way and feel like we were taken advantage of.

ME YOU Queen Creek, AZ

I’d give zero stars, but have to give one to post this review. Freedom Mortgage has us enslaved with their disastrous incompetence. We refinanced our home with Freedom Mortgage. They bought our home loan last year. They got the docs to the closing company, we signed them and the refinance seemed to close right away. EXCEPT the checks they sent to payoff debts (which is why we went with the refi) we issued wrong! It’s beyond comprehension how they could make this huge “mistake” since they’ve got all the amounts on credit reports and statements we provided them during the underwriting process. But, they did. They lumped a payoff amount together in one check, made payable to one creditor without any account numbers AND the amount they lumped into one check covers several different creditors, over and above what is owed the creditor they made the check payable to. So, we’ve been told to hold ALL of the checks until we hear from them again … maybe … next week. *** We have nothing from a debt consolidation refinance but MORE debt because the new mortgage payment is more to cover the equity taken from our home to supposedly pay off debts, but the checks issued by Freedom Mortgage to pay off the debts ARE NO GOOD because they are WRONG! Avoid the lender.

Kynesia P. Fort Worth, TX

My mortgage was transferred to Freedom Mortgage from another lender about two years ago, but I have not had any problems with Freedom Mortgage. Their customer service representatives are friendly, patient, and knowledgeable.

Jade Hawthorne Los Angeles, CA

Do NOT USE THIS MORTGAGE COMPANY. Avoid at all costs. Freedom Mortgage: A heartless scam artist billionaire corporation that cares nothing for veterans and yet is the #1 VA Loan Servicer. How is that possible? Because they buy up mortgages initiated through other brokers and force you to be their customer (like what happened with my loan). I did not choose Freedom Mortgage. Do NOT take your VA Loan to these uncaring corporate loan sharks. BELIEVE ME. You can do everything right and still have this company responsible for making you essentially homeless. They will let you talk for a 30 min period and do nothing for you. That's not customer service even if they are "nice" about it.... Debt is Slavery. This company will see you and treat you as their slave and never truly offer help. I am a disabled veteran who is now living out of a vehicle thanks to this company's predatory practices. All because I missed a month a didn't realize it - I was left without the ability to qualify for a new mortgage or rent an apartment specifically because of Freedom Mortgage taking advantage of the situation and refusing me the remedy I requested. They are responsible for reporting when you don't pay a single month and couldn't make two mortgage payments in the same month on disability income to catch up. Then when you pay it off in full and don't owe them money, they will leave it fester on your report so you aren't able to qualify for other housing! I am experiencing inaccurate credit reporting currently even though my mortgage has been paid off. They stole outrageous exorbitant late fees out of my escrow settlement from the sale of my home. Do not trust them. Would never recommend to anyone especially vulnerable Veterans.

David in Arlington Arlington, VA

Freedom Mortgage bought my mortgage, which was just refinanced in 2020. I received notification in February 2022 that my mortgage would be switched over next month, called Freedom and they had no information on my loan number, that my mortgage was being transferred, etc. I finally received my loan number April 25, 2022, 5 days before a payment is due. But since that time in March that my prior mortgage was closed out and my new loan account was supposedly opened with Freedom, I've received 8 mailed solicitations and three emailed solicitations about refinancing and other products at Freedom. Also in the mailing I opened today about my new mortgage with Freedom was a number claiming at which I could opt out of marketing and information sharing with their affiliated and unaffiliated partners. That wasn't true - there were no prompts allowing me to opt out of anything. I'm not looking forward to the next 7-10 years with this company and I'm not even 60 days into working with them!

Barbara Hopkins Yukon, OK

I would give them a 0 if i could…first my mortgage was sold to them, I would’ve never chosen them because I’ve had a bad experience with them in the past. This is the 2nd mortgage where their Escrow department seems to be incompetent…i submitted my tax exemption information to them Sep 2021…every excuse in the book every month why is wasn’t completed…4/20/21 i call in it was completed 2 days ago, but now won’t reimburse me my overage until my next escrow analysis which is Jan 2023…why did it take from Sep - Apr to update my exemption, of course they don’t know. my insurance is due in July, I’m already over the payment for that…with a previous property with the escrow department misapplied a payment i made directly with them over the phone and it took 6 month to update my account…I’d never recommend this company to anyone for any reason

JustWant2WarnU Corpus Christi, TX

Look, I have been with Freedom Mortgage a few years, in trying to warn everyone I can how TERRIBLE they are I noticed something. Easily over half of these issues are with refinancing. I refinanced in 2020 and they screwed up my Escrow paper work I was almost dropped by my insurance, refinanced in 2021 because it wouldn't even require a credit check since they had recent stuff on file. Totally screwed my escrow payment AGAIN and this time it wasn't caught for an entire year. So I ended up with an over $3,000 shortage. So I paid $2,000 thinking for sure paying over half the shortage off would assist in lowering my house payment. Yea sure did.... BY FIFTY BUCKS! They are crooks thieves and swindlers. DO NOT USE THEM DO NOT LET ANYONE YOU LOVE USE THEM. It seems like they get your loan by buying out other corporations, then convince you to refinance so they can royally screw you over and trap you with them for some odd years until you pay them back.

Orsion Gainesville, FL

Evan and Ann. Don't use them. Can't even be considerate enough to call you back. They pulled my credit and said they would call me back after they speak with a manager. They both ghosted me. I kind of got the hint when I called them and left a voice mail with no reply back. I already have a mortgage through Freedom Mortgage and wanted to see about pulling some equity from my house since the housing market went up. I refuse to pay a Mortgage Lender the money I'm making when they act shady. Really how hard is it to call someone back? For now I am working on other options to change Mortgage Lender.

Barbara Keenan

Customer service is ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!! Our mortgage was sold to them last month. Rudest most unwilling to help customer service.

Amanda Hastings, MI

Very good and helpful when it comes to setting things up, late payments, options instead of or to prevent foreclosures. Somewhat difficult to speak to the correct person and/or update things by phone through an agent. Mostly everything must be changed/verified online.

Dru Lonoke, AR

My loan was sold to Freedom over 2 years ago. As a Veteran in the U.S. Army, I used the VA Loan option. Since joining with Freedom Mortgage they have lowered my interest rate twice, something I would not have had at the original lender. Overall, my experience has been good.

Veronica K San Antonio, TX

Have been with Freedom Mortgage for just over 5 years and have not had any issues. They helped me when I needed a payment plan and have always answered the phone for me. I have a VA loan and no issues. Sad to see others have had issues so I'm not sure why. Was just offered the lower rate, part of Eagle Eye program too. Very friendly and recommend.

Ronnara Storr FL

Good company. Had a few delays in receiving requested documents, but overall good service.

Sarah Biondo Phoenix, AZ

We have had our mortgage purchased several times, but freedom mortgage helped us with a streamline refi, which saved us money on our mortgage and dropped our interest rate, which was fantastic. We haven't had any issues and therefore have had an overall great experience without issues and with the positive interaction of the refinancing of our loan.

Andrea Wynne Shakespeare Stockton, CA

Easy to work with. Friendly employees. No harassing phone calls. Refinancing was easu.

Dwight Jenkins Sacramento, CA

This company has hurt my wife and l just like all the others , they did lousey work with our escrow putting us in debt so deep we refinanced to get out and away from them. JUST PLEASE DON'T USE THIS COMPANY they are not right!

jennafer moody Sacramento, CA

This is the worst mortgage company I have ever dealt with. I refinanced with them just over a year ago and for the last 6 months my mortgage has rises every month because they continue miscalculate what needs to be in my escrow account for taxes and insurance. Their explanation being they have raised the cost of my tax and insurance however after looking into it, that is not true.

Krag Brotby Stockton, CA

They sent a notice of an increase in our escrow account by $50 to the wrong address then accepted our online mortgage on - time payment but didn't credit our account and sent late payment notice to the credit agencies. Our credit score went down 100 points. After waiting for hours to reach a rep they informed us the credit reporting was based on facts and they couldn't change it never mind the fact they failed to notify us and took our payment anyway. TERRIBLE OUTFIT - BE WARNED.

Moises Garcia El Paso, TX

Our original loan was sold to Freedom Mortgage. We been in the process of selling the home since February 2022!!!! They can’t get the right paper work to the buyers title company. Every time we get a hold of someone to help and all seems to be understood on what’s needed. They ghost us!! They never seem to know who was helping us! Horrible customer services can’t get a hold on someone that knows the selling process and paper work needed.

Victoria Sahl Providence, RI

This is the worst mortgage company in the entire world. They are liars and thiefs and go behind your back to nickel and dime more money out of you. Customer service is absolutely horrible. They sound like rude robots and I can not emphasize more how they steal from honest people trying to pay off their mortgage and try and trick you into better payment loans that keep you trapped with them for longer periods of time and then they change the payment behind your back and will not let you talk to a supervisor. Complete trash of a company stay away from them.

Sheurrie Ervin Louisville, KY

I have a VA loan so someone contacted me about refinance my VA loan and said I was pre approved for equity cash so I could pay off a credit card and do some upgrades to my home I said no not interested so he went on and on so I agreed to take out a small equity cash. Then he said I need to pull your credit I was fine with it but I said is this a hard or soft run he said a soft one so I had to open my credit so he can look a my credit report after he looked he called me back and said ok we can move forward with this loan so I was fine with it so three days went by I haven't heard anything from him so I assume it may have been a host or something so when he finally called back around 5days later he assumed I was just going to sign all those papers before I read it. Seem like he got very upset and hung up so by the time I went to review the file it was removed so I called and asked what happened to the loan the loan officer put me on hold and said I would be happy to assist you I was ok with it. So he sent over the document and I read through it so I stumbled on a problem with this loan it was double the first loan mind you this was all in the same week . So he said you have to pay for an appraisal on your home so I'm like what he said yes ay then he said you have to send proof of your income I said ok went to fax everything he asked for and by the way he also lied and said I'm going to use the the same credit report so I won't have to run another hard credit check I said ok. Now I'm thinking everything is all good I paid for my appraisal with my credit card the one he said they can pay off by using my equity. SO Around the 26of January something told me to go to my email and check on the loan I opened up his email and there was nothing in it every thing was gone so then I went to check out my credit report it had on it my credit was ran by them 3times all hard reports y made my score go down 45points I then called freedom mortgage back and explain why I was calling about my refinance he said hold on .he came back and said there's no refinance loan in our system for you I said yes it is I signed the paperwork on line he said hold on again. Do he came back and said I had to talk to a supervisor and that I had to call back in the morning because there wasn't a supervisor on duty. Ok I call over and over I felt as though everytime I called they put me on hold like someone had wrote a message suggested I talk to a supervisor in the loan department .I just said I'm getting a lawyer for this mess so I went back on line to look for the paperwork it was gone and a letter staying I was denied due to my credit I don't have bad credit and you already said I was pre approved for the loan lesson learned I will get justice ♎⚖️ for this company and some of them are rude and right out nasty if you deal with them make sure you understand this tricking loan it's a lot they don't tell you before you commit to it.

Philip Montante Lancaster, NY

WORST mortgage company I have ever dealt with. Twice they have claimed a shortfall of money in escrow account!!!! ALL FALSE!!!! There was NEVER a shortage, but it took months for them to admit their mistake!! They even threatened to foreclose on the property when all along is was their fault. The left hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing!!! Now it's happened, again!!! Trying to get thru once, again to a representative, but they have failed or refused to return calls!!! They deserve 0 stars!!!!! These people are unethical, by claiming they are owed money that they have received and put into an escrow account, them claimed they didn't, the when confronted admitted they did!! REALLY BAD BUSINESS PRACTICES!!!!

John Sweda Arlington, VA

The absolute WORST customer service experience of my life!!! I tried refinancing to a 15 year with these folks. They couldn’t get it done in 5 months. I went with Rocket Mortgage and they got it done in one month. Big difference. I work overseas for most of the year. I couldn’t get anyone to return my phone calls. I couldn’t get anyone to return my emails. Questions went unanswered. Promises to follow-up on my customer complaints were never followed-up on. Documents that I had already supplied were requested multiple times again. I kept being told the loan was “conditionally approved” and ready to go to underwriting only to hear nothing for weeks. The biggest indignity? I live in a windowless dorm on the U.S. Embassy compound in the country where I work. When I’m back home I live in a three-bedroom two-bath house. Freedom Mortgage INSISTED that my DORM ROOM WAS MY PRIMARY RESIDENCE AND MY HOUSE WAS MY “SECONDARY RESIDENCE”!! Excuse me? This became a joke in the office here. I will never ever use these incompetent people again. Go with Rocket Mortgage!!!

steve allen Salt Lake City, UT

This company is TERRIBLE!! They can't even get the easy stuff right! Today marks the second time they have miscalculated my escrow account. First time they jumped my monthly mortgage $500 a month. I spent hours on the phone to have them spread the difference over a longer time period. The jump was NOT due to increases in insurance or taxes. Just to screwing up basic math! How inept do you have to be to not have a program that catches these kind of errors!? Today I opened a bill showing a $120 a month increase - again due to their total lack of competence. They lowered my bill about $60 a month earlier this year! I could go on - charged a late fee a few years ago, after being assured I wouldn't be. Spent hours on the phone go over the circumstances, but no give. These guys are just the worst. If you have ANY other options, go with those. Wish I could give a lower than 1 star rating.

Eduardo De Pandi Chevy Chase, MD

Atlas Neo started a refinance process back in July. Provided all requested documents and answered all questions in a timely manner and still as of 12/09 FM cannot give me a closing date. I feel mega-aggravated and frustrated with the poor follow up and total lack of ownership. Had I known i'd be treated in such manner i'd never ever would start the relationship with this company. As of this time and hour, regardless the many phone calls i made, several minutes spent on hold, many emails sent... my issue is still not solved and i keep being bounced from one rep to the other. Total lack of care or ownership. Extremely poor and painful experience so far!