Psychologist and gerontologist. Andrew S. Dibner founded Lifeline Systems in 1972 to give elderly persons a viable solution to getting emergency medical help while living alone. The company initially sold its services to commercial entities, such as hospitals and other healthcare facilities, eventually transitioning to selling directly to consumers. Lifeline Systems became Philips Lifeline in 2006 when it was acquired by the Philips company, adding its products to their homecare line. Today, Philips Lifeline remains the top medical alert service in the United States, having served over 7 million customers.

Rank Chart

#5
Philips

$29.95-$53.00
8.5

The Good

The major highlight of Philips Lifeline’s medical alert system is its Fall Detection feature. This feature picks up greater than 95% of falls. Customers have a choice of several safety alarm products, consisting of:

• HomeSafe Standard with AutoAlert Help Button (for in and around the home)
  • HomeSafe AutoAlert (for in and around the home)
  • GoSafe Mobile Alert System (for on-the-go protection away from hone)
  • Response App (for Smartphone users)

All systems come with a Help Button Pendant, a Communicator Unit and 24/7 access to a U.S.-based Response Center.

Phillips Lifeline offers the following benefits to its members:
  • Price: Depending on the product subscription selected, Philips Lifeline charges anywhere from $13.95-$54.95 per month for round-the clock monitoring and emergency dispatch services.
  • Long-wearing battery: Lifeline automatically replaces batteries when needed. Backup batteries have a life of 30 hours.
  • Waterproof devices: Works in bath or shower where falls are common.
  • Customer Service: The company’s medical monitoring center can accommodate more than 200 languages.
  • Monitoring: Customer service associates are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year to handle emergencies or just answer questions.
  • Optional Installation Assistance: Upon request, Lifeline can send a skilled technician to your home to ensure that everything is installed properly and that the system is securely connected to the monitoring center.
  • Medication Dispensing Service: Includes a dispenser button for the medication and an audio reminder when it’s time to take each dose.
  • Voice Extension Console. Increases the two-way speakerphone voice communication to a larger area., allowing you to place the voice extension console in a different area of your home from the main console.
  • LockBox: In the case of an accident, minor or major, Lifeline can give the combination of the lockbox to whomever customers designate to enter their home to assist them, whether that’s family, neighbors or emergency services.

The Bad

Their base price is average in comparison to the rest of the industry, but the add-ons for addition equipment/buttons can add up. One additional button may cost you $10 a month in addition to your regular bill. There have been some complaints about the system and equipment not responding to alerts during emergencies, however, we cannot substantiate this with customers.

Consumers need to be aware of the following:
  • Range/Distance Limitations. The HomeSafe Unit only covers up to 500 ft, which compared to other companies in its niche who offer up to 1300 ft., is pretty small. The company also warns (in small print) that the range in and around your home must be tested. GoSafe mobile alert system is covered anywhere with AT&T service, but the range varies depending on cell tower coverage in that particular area.
  • System Instillation Caveat: The optional installation help does cost a one-time fee. You can also have the equipment mailed to you so you can set it up yourself for no additional cost.
  • There is also an additional one-time fee for the voice extension console and the lockbox service.
  • Limited Product Information. Philips Lifeline does present adequate product information on their website, but some information is lacking transparency, such as warranty information, additional fees for things like activation and equipment fees, and backup battery life.

The Bottom Line

Philips is a brand that most people recognize and the quality of their equipment is part of the reason why. They have a trusted reputation for building quality medical alert systems that include the best technologies and design all in one. This company uses AT&T networks to connect to Mobile or GPS Systems. Philips Lifeline subscribers can enjoy more confidence even while they’re away from home.

Philips Lifeline Equipment

Fall Detection – Detects 95% of all Falls
AutoAlert System – System Automatically Detects Falls. Includes Communicator & Fall Detecting Pendant

Base Station Communicator

• 4-5 Year Battery Life
  • 20 – 30 Second Response

Featured Details

Price

Depending on what the customer wants, the cost may vary, but typically, the standard service starts at $29.95 per month. Lifeline AutoAlert is more, costing $44.95 per month. The Lifeline app for Android phones and iOS is $13.95 per month. Also, additional alert buttons will cost $10/month each.

Warranty

Customers do not have to pay for repairs or replacements.

Activation Fees

Special deals for TBC customers: you pay ZERO in activation fees.

Mobile Alerts

There is no mobile alert, though customers do not need a landline to use their device. The standard service works through a cellular network. However, company representatives say that a mobile device is forthcoming shortly.

Device Range

The device range from button to base unit is about 800 feet.

Contract

There is no long-term contract with Philips Lifeline devices. Customers may pay month to month and cancel at any time without having to pay a fee.

Time in Business

Lifeline Systems was found in 1972. It was acquired by Philips in 2006, and its name was changed to Philips Lifeline.

BBB Rating

Philips Lifeline currently has a A- rating from the Better Business Bureau. It has been an accredited member of the BBB since February 2002. The rating is not perfect, but solid. In the past three years, Philips Lifeline has had 37 complaints made against it to the BB. Of this total, 13 have been closed in the past 12 months. Most of the complaints—23—have centered on problems with products and its services. The BBB has determined that Philips Lifeline has been reasonable efforts to resolve issues. The company has a commitment to its customers and to operating professionally and ethically.

Company Contact Information

111 Lawrence Street Framingham, MA 01702 Phone: 1 (866) 690-4340 Email: [email protected]

Location of Certified Monitoring Centers

Philips Lifeline’s response is company-owned and based in the U.S. *Philips Lifeline Medical Alert System Equipment is FDA Registered & Regulated.

X close
X close

14 Philips Lifeline Reviews

1. Select Your Rating:

0=WORST 10=BEST

2. Subject For This Review*(Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

or

1. User Score

July 11th, 2016 Oak Ridge, TN

the people i have talk to eather by phone or i hit my button by mistake was always freindley nice and understanting and i want to say thank you

2. User Score

September 28th, 2015 Reno, NV

I was travelling from Las Vegas to St George, UT and received a call from my son-in-law that the Paramedics and police were outside the St Geo home. I thought I must have pushed the pendent by mistake, but the puzzling thing was that no one ever responded to me. I was wearing the pendent and it was fully charged. My daughter in Reno, NV also called me. The pendant was supposed to know where I was and obviously failed.
    At 8:10 pm I pushed the pendent as I was driving and never received a response. I pushed the button several time over the next hour and each time I got a voice message that the call was in process to hold.
    I never got an answer. Later when I entered the Virgin River Gorge and I pushed the button, I was told there was no service. I understand that as the is no AT&T serve in the Gorge (only Verizon and Sprint).
    I called the next day and was told that I needed to carry the Base Unit with me when I traveled away from home for more than a day. Can’t imagine what use it would be while I’m driving.
    I feel that I should be refunded for the purchase price of the pendent and at least the last month of service. When I cancelled my service I was told that I you would not refund the cost of the pendent because the 30 days had expired. I feel that this refund is due me since while the system did not malfunction within that period, it obviously did MALFUNCTION.
    It is very fortunate that I was not suffering a heart attack and rely on your service. I WOULD BE DEAD.

3. User Score

January 27th, 2015 Dallas, TX

I have been blessed to have a Lifeline since the early 80’s. Always great service. It is the choice of state Medicaid programs and so many agency providers, for good reason.

While I’m comforted that help is not far away, I’m also comforted by Lifeline’s measured response. If I knew that I had a button to call 911, but I would land in the hospital as a result, I would probably never press that button!

I feel so much better that when I press my Lifeline button, we can discuss my need. Better that my neighbor comes over, opens the door with her key, helps me up, gets my medication or whatever I need, stays with me until the issue is solved, and we’re done.

Ambulance, fire depot and hospital when necessary, family, friend or neighbor otherwise. Better use of city services, better for me. That makes the Lifeline choice easy.

4. User Score

January 27th, 2015 Bloomingdale, NJ

My mother was on lifeline for years. In July of 2013 I left her alone for an hour to take my sister to the bus station and stop at the store.
    When I returned my mother was gone and a note was left on the door that the local ambulance squad had taken her to the hospital. hospital.
    When I walked in I was shocked to find the carpet satuated with blood.
    Apparently she had gotten up right after I left, fell and struck her had head on a brass planter and. She was unconscious for some time and then woke up and called the ambulance company herself, even though her lifeline pendant was on. It never registered her fall.
    Unfortunately, because I was not with her when she arrived at the hospital, a CAT scan was done with dye and her kidneys shut down due to the dye.
    She fitted, at home, for weeks later with her five daughters with her .I will never forgive myself for leaving her that day.
    My ·Question is, when did the new feature start and why can they not have the patients medical issues somehow connected with the device? It would have made the difference between life and deat. Her kidneys could not tolerate the dye and she had required dialysis twice before. Unfortunately this time her kidneys could not recover.and the doctors never accessed her hospital records. Had the done so, she would still be here.
    I’m considering Lifeline for myself, I have MS and fall frequently. I also have other medical issues.
    I w would feel better off I knew whatever hospital I was taken to could see access my records via a database accessed through Lifeline.

5. User Score

November 4th, 2014

Before my husband’s grandmother passed away, she was a lifeline subscriber. Knowing she wore the lifeline pendant made her family members feel better and more confident when she was alone. It was very helpful when she fell in the bathroom and was unable to move. The help button late assisted her when she had a moderate stroke. Thank you, Lifeline, for providing a necessary service to our aging population.

6. User Score

October 22nd, 2014 Turlock, CA

My father’s health declined rapidly. He still wanted to live alone. As a full-time working mom of 2 small children I can’t always check up on him daily. He recently fell and went a full day before we realized anything was wrong. I ordered him a Philips Lifeline AutoAlert to ensure this doesn’t happen again. Having the added peace of mind makes it easier for me to have him love alone. He is able to keep his independence in a safe manner.

7. User Score

September 23rd, 2014 Framingham, MA

We use Lifeline for my father-in-law for the past 5 years. It’s been great as he is 92 and is very independent. Luckily we haven’t had any incidents but my husbands great Aunt has the AutoAlert button and it saved her life. She fell in the basement of her home and it detected her fall and got her the help she needed. Great service!

8. User Score

September 22nd, 2014 Estero, FL

We used the lifeline alert for my mother in law for about a year at 3 different times. (stayed with us for periods of time). The people at the call center were very helpful in transferring service to our location and in helping to get it set up. The hardware was very user friendly. The response time was always prompt when we needed help (non-emergency basis on our part). I would recommend this product.

9. User Score

September 22nd, 2014 Celina, OH

While visiting in FL at the location grand-mother was living, grand-mother used the system to alert of an emergency (she suffered a stroke and was transported to the hospital). The response was fast – the household was still asleep and only realized the emergency when the EMT appeared at the door.

10. User Score

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

This device is for my mother and she actually used your services about a year ago for an event where she broke her ankle and hit her head. The response was very prompt and satisfactorily handled. Great device and service.

11. User Score

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

PhilipsLifeline is the best on the market. They are awesome! Lorraine

3 1

12. User Score

September 21st, 2014 Brandon, FL

We are very pleased with Philips Life Line with Auto Alert..
    My mother had a major stroke a few months after having a mini stroke, so we got here one.
    The reason we got her the Life Line with Auto Alert is because when she had her mini stroke she was not mentally aware enough to push the button to call for help on another brand button.
    We always felt reassured after getting Auto Alert because if she fell again it would detect the fall and automatically call for help.

13. User Score

September 21st, 2014

Lifeline has been helpful to my aging mother who falls fairly frequently. More than anything, it has given her (and me) peace of mind.

14. User Score

September 21st, 2014 Bangor, ME

I am Pat Hughes, niece of Lorraine Sullivan.I will report what Lorraine says ‘I have had lifeline for over 10 years. I feel secure with it and calm knowing that help will arrive if I need it. Gives me peace of mind and I’m not alone. It’s always there when I need it. I have never had issues with the people on the other end. They have been nice, concerned, and courteous. You can hear their concern in their voices. It’s comfortable to wear and easy and simple to use. Thanks for lifeline.