Philips Lifeline verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

3.7

Call Now

As a psychologist and gerontologist, Andrew S. Dibner founded Lifeline Systems in 1974 to give elderly persons a viable solution to getting emergency medical help. The company initially sold its services to commercial entities, such as hospitals and other healthcare facilities, eventually transitioning to selling directly to consumers. Lifeline Systems became Philips Lifeline in 2006 when it was acquired by the Philips company, adding its products to their home care line. Today, Philips Lifeline remains one of the top medical alert services in the United States, having served over seven million customers.

The Good

• Fall Detection
  • Price
  • Battery Warranty
  • Waterproof Devices
  • Customer Service
  • Monitoring
  • Optional Installation Assistance
  • Medical Dispensing Service
  • Voice Extension Console
  • Lockbox

Fall Detection

The major highlight of Philips Lifeline's medical alert system is its Fall Detection feature. This feature picks up more than 95% of falls. Customers have a choice of several safety alarm products, including:

• HomeSafe Standard with AutoAlert Help Button (for in and around the home)
  • HomeSafe AutoAlert (for in and around the home)
  • GoSafe Mobile Alert System (for on-the-go protection away from home)
  • Response App (for Smartphone users)

All systems come with a Help Button Pendant, a Communicator Unit, and 24/7 access to a U.S.-based Response Center.

Price

Depending on the product subscription selected, Philips Lifeline charges anywhere from $13.95-$54.95 per month for round-the-clock monitoring and emergency dispatch services.

Battery Warranty

Lifeline automatically replaces batteries when needed. Backup batteries have a life of 30 hours.

Waterproof Devices

Works in bath or shower where falls are common.

The company's medical monitoring center can accommodate more than 200 languages.

Monitoring

Customer service associates are available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year to handle emergencies or just answer questions.

Optional Installation Assistance

Upon request, Lifeline can send a skilled technician to your home to ensure that everything is installed properly and that the system is securely connected to the monitoring center.

Medication Dispensing Service

Includes a dispenser button for the medication and an audio reminder when it's time to take each dose.

Voice Extension Console

Increases the two-way speakerphone voice communication to a larger area, allowing you to place the voice extension console in a different area of your home from the main console.

Lockbox

In the case of an accident, minor or major, Lifeline can give the combination of the lockbox to whomever customers designate to enter their home to assist them, whether that's family, neighbors, or emergency services.

The Bad

• Range/Distance Limitations
  • System Installation Caveat
  • Limited Product Information

Range/Distance Limitations

The HomeSafe Unit only covers up to 500 ft, which compared to other companies in its niche who offer up to 1300 ft., is pretty small. The company also warns (in small print) that the range in and around your home must be tested. The GoSafe mobile alert system is covered anywhere with AT&T service, but the range varies depending on cell tower coverage in that particular area.

System Installation Caveat

The optional installation help does cost a one-time fee. You can also have the equipment mailed to you so you can set it up yourself for no additional cost. There is also an additional one-time fee for the voice extension console and the lockbox service.

Limited Product Information

Philips Lifeline does present adequate product information on their website, but some information is lacking transparency, such as warranty information, additional fees for things like activation and equipment fees, and backup battery life.

The Bottom Line

Philips Lifeline is a brand that most people recognize and the quality of their equipment could be the reason why. The company has a trusted reputation for building quality medical alert systems that include the best technologies and design. Philips Lifeline uses AT&T networks to connect to Mobile or GPS Systems. Philips Lifeline subscribers can enjoy more confidence and peace of mind, even while they're away from home.

Call our recommended rep over at Philips Lifeline below.

3.6

R. Alpano

January 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Philips Lifeline Canada is not dependable in that it does not deliver the promised services, as proven by the following incident and also by other false alarms and undetected falls in our experience. Case in point: 1. Failure to send an ambulance to my father's home, upon receiving alert that he fell down. 2. Company noted and communicate the incorrect information to Police as to where my father's lockbox was located False "falling" alarms. Hence, the police could not get access to enter the house. Poor customer service. Calls to Supervisor were not returned. Official complaint letter sent to supervisor was also not replied to. Philips Lifeline is not dependable in that it does not deliver the promised services has poor customer service and has equipment which constantly raise false fall detection alarms.

Philips Lifeline Logo

Reply from Philips Lifeline

Meagan Duffy Nov. 6, 2017

We are very sorry to hear of the frustrating experience you have been having with Philips Lifeline - Canada. I have passed your review along to them and someone from the Canadian division will be reaching out to you. Best, Philips Lifeline Customer Experience Team

L. Hanko

December 16th, 2017 Yulee, FL

My mother has had Life Line for over 15 years. She has used it twice with immediate results. Every month, central monitoring contacts her to check the system out and see if she is OK, then they call me (as primary contact) to report her status. She is 94, lucid and healthy but with a mobility problem. She loves her Life Lock service, and so do I.

Donna Downing

September 11th, 2017

I was referred to Lifeline by the owner of a company providing at-home services. I did my own research, an decided to go with Lifeline. That was four years ago. I have needed it a few times. I needed help from a few falls. I bumped it in the super market, and I got a prompt call asking if I needed help. I wish there were a way to merge the Medic Alert information and Lifeline.

B C

September 1st, 2017 MD

First tried a different company and didn't like the type of pendant that didn't look strong, but worst tried testing it a couple of times and the response took too long and at the third time they kept me on hold. Needless to say, I switched companies immediately and tried Philips Lifeline. Very satisfied so far. Has been using them for over a year. Can use them in Puerto Rico and they connect with the landline and my cell network there. I life in Texas. As far as service very prompt and responsive. By the way, used them before for mother in law. I like they have the GPS to locate and the fall detection feature. Will likely recommend.

WILLIAM PRENTISS BROWN

August 17th, 2017

I subscribed for Philips Life Line for my 94 year old mother for over a year. The sales agent did an effective job of up selling for the fall safe feature. on May 21, 2017, my mother fell in the middle of the night and it was a hard fall on a tile floor. Unfortunately, the alert did not go off, and my mother passed away on the floor. I phoned the service to have the billing stopped and relayed my situation to the agent. She said that she would have a manager call me for a course of action. I am still waiting for a call. I am struggling with the thought of my mother passing away on the floor alone.

Loretta Jiran

August 12th, 2017 Bay Shore, NY

My mother and my Aunt have the service and is fast and reliable. My Aunt at 94 is still Mobil so she has the GoSafe and has used it away from her home with great communication and fast service. It's comforting fir us to know our mother and aunt have a strong health care company like philips to help them when they need it and we aren't available.

steven stanley

July 29th, 2017

I had been a customer for 2 years. When my 88 year old grandmother went to the hospital and lost her life alert, I called them on July 14th and was told that I would receive the new life alert the next day. It never came and I called back and was told it would be on back order and would receive it in 10 days. It never came and I called again and they said it was never shipped and would be on backorder. It still never came and my grandmother went over two weeks with no support and we were lied to twice. If you lose your equipment they will not replace it in a timely manner we changed companies and are now with CVS.

Trish Doran

July 13th, 2017 Milwaukee, WI

My Mother fell recently and Philips lifeline sent the rescue team to the wrong address. I had changed your address back to her home state after she spent the winter in the south with me. They sent them to the address in the south. I corrected it with them then rechecked in a week and they still had the address wrong. Thank goodness I am one of the responders on her account and was able to get someone to her house to assist her. I only found out about the mistake because a neighbor stopped them from breaking down my door because he knew we were out of town.

Gail Eehling

July 1st, 2017 Canton, OH

All checked items ave been dealt with through time. Very dependable!

Karan Dennis

June 18th, 2017

My mother's device that had fall detection in it failed. They sent a replacement that looked the same but didn't have fall detection in it. We found out the hard way yesterday.

Dortha Headrick

June 10th, 2017 Moscow, ID

I have been well satisfied with my unit. Had numerous trips to ER since purchase which came to me thru a local nursing home center. Actually get check-in calls when my necklace was too active during the night when I got up for a bathroom visit so it is a good unit for me. Works well in my area as far as I know and very well for me at any rate. They came one day and even told me my battery needed changing and they changed the necklace more than once too. I NOW do not need a land line for it tho still have one which I wouldn't let go of for any reason. Highly recommend my Phillip's unit. Local ambulance came several times when called since I got the unit.

Irene B. Hembree

June 4th, 2017

Have called customer service three times trying to get the backup battery service, it's been out over a month. Each call was promised a service call but no one has replied.

George Amazeen

May 30th, 2017

I had the regular service 2 weeks and fell two times within 3 weeks.I then decided to to obtain the "fall" service which saved me from a serious fall where I blacked out. The emergency response came and took me to ER. I could have laid in bath room a long time before I was found if not for FALL button..

Susan Baker

May 28th, 2017

No problems. Only one emergency. Great service!

Doris L Schuetz

May 7th, 2017

I upgraded my service to the GPS option. I've fallen several times and it called me no matter where I was. I live in IL and was in Phoenix by myself staying in a hotel. I fell on the ceramic floor in the bathroom. I was able to get up and knew I didn't have any injuries so I didn't push the call button. In a matter of a few minutes I heard a voice clearly say my name and then said "Doris, you fell didn't you." Yes I did. I was shocked with the speed in which they called me. I was in Phoenix with my home base in IL and the person calling me was in Boston. That is the service I hoped for and they delivered. I would not be without my GPS system. I can't say enough about Phillips Lifeline.

Cathy

April 13th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

My family used this for our father and it was an awesome product. Dad fell a number of times and within a few seconds Phillips Lifeline was calling his house. They also notified me or my sister. There was never any issue of range and even worked in Dad's back yard. This product worked so well that my husband and I got the same system for his mother in Connecticut. The pendent or wristband is fully waterproof so it can be worn in the shower and never has to come off. When my dad finally had to go into assisted living, Phillips made it easy to return the equipment and stopped the billing immediately.

Cynthia Bassett

March 21st, 2017 Tampa, FL

When deciding on an alert system, I spoke with a representative of LifeLine and thought they had what I needed for my 91-year old mother. However, when I received the system, the agreement stated I needed a land line. I explained I needed a mobile system since she stays at my sisters part of the time. I was told I could send it back if it was not what I needed, which I did. When Life Line called, I explained why I sent it back and was told I would have to pay $50 (I was told there was no cancellation fee). Luckily I paid no money up front. The person on the phone became very angry wanting to know why I didn't call the before I sent it back. Because the unit did not meet my needs, when I clearly explained the situation, I didn't feel I needed to contact them. This was one of the rudest people I have every talked to and he insisted they would bill me any way. Send the invoice and then when it is not paid go ahead and turn it over to a credit agency to collect from my 91-year old mother. I would never do business with a company who harasses you because you declined their service. I actually had to hang up on him. I've been in customer service a long time and you never speak that way to a customer - right or wrong.

Glenda Drebick

January 15th, 2017 Olympia, WA

I like my Lifeline. It seems to be great but I have nothing to compare it with as it is the only one I have had. I think the piece that goes around my neck is not the most attractive thing and beings it is material will get dirty faster than other material although it does not hurt my neck. The only complaint I have is that when I tried the device to see if it worked well while down town, it seemed to take quite awhile before the receiver talked to me. I understand they call the home device first before the device I am wearing. Seems like a long time but perhaps waiting seems longer than it really is.

Ana

January 7th, 2017 Hingham, MA

Terrible!!!!! Be prepared to be on hold for a minimum of 15 minutes when you are notified regarding an emergency regarding a loved one. There is no way to find out what is happening. There is only one person answering the phone, Katie. I drove all the way to my mothers' house before I could get through to the service to find out that she was ok and reported that to them once I got through. I recommended that they cancel emergency services. However, as I found out from the neighbor, services had already gone there and had left. No one informed me of that when I was on the phone with them. It was unclear whether they even knew. There was not a call back to me to indicate what had transpired. When I called back I was put on hold for over 1 hour by a supervisor called Jamal, and was not allowed to speak to the person I originally communicated with (Crystal). I was told that the number I was given to call back was not the emergency number, but they would not give me an emergency number. When I pressed, I was given a number which apparently was the customer service number that is only available during business hours Mon-Fri. This incident occurred late on Fri night. Terrible response!!!

Irene Holmeide

January 6th, 2017 Sullivan, WI

I have two major occurrences when lifeline did not respond when needed. There were excuses each time ,"technical" issues and address mix-up etc. One time I had to be transported to a hospital so it was a true emergency (September 2016). For me the service is unacceptable, I have subscribed for about 16 months, but will be canceling.

Ron Pauluh

December 14th, 2016 Dover, TN

After checking the other 'top' three, I don't understand why this one isn't listed as the top #1. There is no advantage to the other three over Philips Lifeline. This is my mothers and she's 94. Already has had five (5) excellent immediate responses. I can see no value in the scores when compared to actual situations. I'd rate it at 10 and that is rated on actual responses not hypothetical situations.

Marie Ries

November 13th, 2016

This product is pricey but you get what you pay for. I am a retired design engineer & this company has taken care of EVERY little detail from the point of view of manufacture, repair, replacement, call service & customer needs. I have had this for 8 years now.

Jim Irwin

November 9th, 2016

Button is a little sensitive. Cost is a little high.

Robin Campiglia

October 6th, 2016 Watsonville, CA

They took 2 payments in one month - last July. Not able to contact their billing dept at all. There is no number and the customer reps cannot connect to it. I have called several times to leave a message and they do not return the call. I recently switched to auto payments and now the account is 2 months behind. But like I said there is no way to communicate with billing and the customer reps have no info to give. I am thinking about changing companies

jerry key

July 11th, 2016 Oak Ridge, TN

the people i have talk to eather by phone or i hit my button by mistake was always freindley nice and understanting and i want to say thank you

Lorna Golmis

September 28th, 2015 Reno, NV

I was travelling from Las Vegas to St George, UT and received a call from my son-in-law that the Paramedics and police were outside the St Geo home. I thought I must have pushed the pendent by mistake, but the puzzling thing was that no one ever responded to me. I was wearing the pendent and it was fully charged. My daughter in Reno, NV also called me. The pendant was supposed to know where I was and obviously failed. At 8:10 pm I pushed the pendent as I was driving and never received a response. I pushed the button several time over the next hour and each time I got a voice message that the call was in process to hold. I never got an answer. Later when I entered the Virgin River Gorge and I pushed the button, I was told there was no service. I understand that as the is no AT&T serve in the Gorge (only Verizon and Sprint). I called the next day and was told that I needed to carry the Base Unit with me when I traveled away from home for more than a day. Can't imagine what use it would be while I'm driving. I feel that I should be refunded for the purchase price of the pendent and at least the last month of service. When I cancelled my service I was told that I you would not refund the cost of the pendent because the 30 days had expired. I feel that this refund is due me since while the system did not malfunction within that period, it obviously did MALFUNCTION. It is very fortunate that I was not suffering a heart attack and rely on your service. I WOULD BE DEAD.

Jane Harmon

January 27th, 2015 Dallas, TX

I have been blessed to have a Lifeline since the early 80's. Always great service. It is the choice of state Medicaid programs and so many agency providers, for good reason. While I'm comforted that help is not far away, I'm also comforted by Lifeline's measured response. If I knew that I had a button to call 911, but I would land in the hospital as a result, I would probably never press that button! I feel so much better that when I press my Lifeline button, we can discuss my need. Better that my neighbor comes over, opens the door with her key, helps me up, gets my medication or whatever I need, stays with me until the issue is solved, and we're done. Ambulance, fire depot and hospital when necessary, family, friend or neighbor otherwise. Better use of city services, better for me. That makes the Lifeline choice easy.

Anne

January 27th, 2015 Bloomingdale, NJ

My mother was on lifeline for years. In July of 2013 I left her alone for an hour to take my sister to the bus station and stop at the store. When I returned my mother was gone and a note was left on the door that the local ambulance squad had taken her to the hospital. hospital. When I walked in I was shocked to find the carpet satuated with blood. Apparently she had gotten up right after I left, fell and struck her had head on a brass planter and. She was unconscious for some time and then woke up and called the ambulance company herself, even though her lifeline pendant was on. It never registered her fall. Unfortunately, because I was not with her when she arrived at the hospital, a CAT scan was done with dye and her kidneys shut down due to the dye. She fitted, at home, for weeks later with her five daughters with her .I will never forgive myself for leaving her that day. My ·Question is, when did the new feature start and why can they not have the patients medical issues somehow connected with the device? It would have made the difference between life and deat. Her kidneys could not tolerate the dye and she had required dialysis twice before. Unfortunately this time her kidneys could not recover.and the doctors never accessed her hospital records. Had the done so, she would still be here. I'm considering Lifeline for myself, I have MS and fall frequently. I also have other medical issues. I w would feel better off I knew whatever hospital I was taken to could see access my records via a database accessed through Lifeline.

Nichole

November 4th, 2014

Before my husband's grandmother passed away, she was a lifeline subscriber. Knowing she wore the lifeline pendant made her family members feel better and more confident when she was alone. It was very helpful when she fell in the bathroom and was unable to move. The help button late assisted her when she had a moderate stroke. Thank you, Lifeline, for providing a necessary service to our aging population.

Michelle Perry

October 22nd, 2014 Turlock, CA

My father's health declined rapidly. He still wanted to live alone. As a full-time working mom of 2 small children I can't always check up on him daily. He recently fell and went a full day before we realized anything was wrong. I ordered him a Philips Lifeline AutoAlert to ensure this doesn't happen again. Having the added peace of mind makes it easier for me to have him love alone. He is able to keep his independence in a safe manner.

Kim

September 23rd, 2014 Framingham, MA

We use Lifeline for my father-in-law for the past 5 years. It's been great as he is 92 and is very independent. Luckily we haven't had any incidents but my husbands great Aunt has the AutoAlert button and it saved her life. She fell in the basement of her home and it detected her fall and got her the help she needed. Great service!

Paul Hamilton

September 22nd, 2014 Estero, FL

We used the lifeline alert for my mother in law for about a year at 3 different times. (stayed with us for periods of time). The people at the call center were very helpful in transferring service to our location and in helping to get it set up. The hardware was very user friendly. The response time was always prompt when we needed help (non-emergency basis on our part). I would recommend this product.

Janet

September 22nd, 2014 Celina, OH

While visiting in FL at the location grand-mother was living, grand-mother used the system to alert of an emergency (she suffered a stroke and was transported to the hospital). The response was fast - the household was still asleep and only realized the emergency when the EMT appeared at the door.

Vance Horne

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

This device is for my mother and she actually used your services about a year ago for an event where she broke her ankle and hit her head. The response was very prompt and satisfactorily handled. Great device and service.

Lorraine

September 22nd, 2014 Brunswick, ME

PhilipsLifeline is the best on the market. They are awesome! Lorraine

Gene Pike

September 21st, 2014 Brandon, FL

We are very pleased with Philips Life Line with Auto Alert.. My mother had a major stroke a few months after having a mini stroke, so we got here one. The reason we got her the Life Line with Auto Alert is because when she had her mini stroke she was not mentally aware enough to push the button to call for help on another brand button. We always felt reassured after getting Auto Alert because if she fell again it would detect the fall and automatically call for help.

nikki

September 21st, 2014

Lifeline has been helpful to my aging mother who falls fairly frequently. More than anything, it has given her (and me) peace of mind.

Lorraine Sullivan - user

September 21st, 2014 Bangor, ME

I am Pat Hughes, niece of Lorraine Sullivan.I will report what Lorraine says 'I have had lifeline for over 10 years. I feel secure with it and calm knowing that help will arrive if I need it. Gives me peace of mind and I'm not alone. It's always there when I need it. I have never had issues with the people on the other end. They have been nice, concerned, and courteous. You can hear their concern in their voices. It's comfortable to wear and easy and simple to use. Thanks for lifeline.