Bay Alarm Medical

Bay Alarm Medical verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Started in 1951, Bay Alarm Medical has over six decades of experience providing monitored security services to over 100,000 customers in the United States. Bay Alarm Medical is a subsidiary of a family-owned business. The company's focus is meeting the needs of a rapidly growing elderly population of people over 75.

Bay Alarm Medical Alert Systems are available in all 50 States. The GPS system is powered by AT&T network to offer 24/7 tracking and monitoring for those who prefer protection on the go. Mobile medical alert plans start as low as $25 per month and can create safer mobility for families, not just the elderly.

Rank Chart Our Score User Score
#1 9.1 8.6 Read Review
#2 8.8 9.1 Read Review
#3 6.7 8.5 Read Review
#10 5.3 8.4 Current

The Good

• CSAA Five Diamond Certified
  • Services in 170 Languages
  • VOIP Compatibility
  • Simple to Install

CSAA Five Diamond Certified

Bay Alarm monitoring centers are CSAA Five Diamond Certified, commit to strong quality standards, and agree to random UL certified inspections. This ensures that every Bay Alarm subscriber receives the most professional care possible, especially while in an emergency.

Services in 170 Languages

If you don't speak English and still need personal emergency alarm services, Bay Alarm has a unique feature: the company offers its product and services in 170 languages. Another unique feature is the company's two emergency response call centers which are full duplicates of each other to provide service continuity in case one center has a power outage. Typically companies have one call center, but with two call centers, there is a backup in case of power failure or weather issue that renders one call center inoperable, a dangerous scenario for those needing emergency assistance. The company also owns and operates from its California headquarters for separate customer service purposes.

VOIP Compatibility

Bay Alarm's VOIP compatibility is also noteworthy. Few companies offer this benefit; they only offer landline phone coverage. Bay Alarm's system is very versatile, compatible with POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service, i.e. landlines), DSL Phone Service (Comcast, Time Warner, Cox), and VOIP solutions (AT&T, Verizon). On their website, Bay Alarm provides an extensive list of Compatible Cable Service Providers. If customers use DSL, they will need to purchase a DSL filter at an additional cost, also available on the website.

Simple to Install

The Bay Alarm medical alert system is designed to be easy to use and simple to install. Anyone can install their own service in only 5-10 minutes. Bay Alarm offers complimentary Spouse Monitoring Services free of charge. Adding a spouse will not raise the monthly bill, but there will be a charge to add an additional emergency help button. The landline system has a helpful preventative feature to protect users from falls that may occur when rushing to answer the phone. The system allows customers to answer the phone using the device-although you will need to follow up with Bay Alarm to understand exactly how this works.

The Bad

• A Little Higher Priced
  • One-Time Fee for the Mobile

A Litter Higher Priced

While other industry competitors offer free equipment and no-cost delivery, Bay Alarm Medical charges for both delivery and equipment. Customers have to buy the equipment for a one-time cost, in addition to paying for accessories. The mobile GPS button has some limitations, too. The button also has only a five-year warranty, so if anything goes wrong after that five years, it can get pricey.

One-Time Fee for the Mobile

Bay Alarm overall is a bit more expensive than its competitors. They charge a one-time fee for the mobile device ($80), if you want a GPS that you can take anywhere with you. Some other companies in the industry have a lower fee or do not charge this fee at all. Something to keep in mind with some other companies, is you do not own the device. Be sure to ask about this when deciding which company to do business with.

The Bottom Line

Bay Alarm has been around for decades, offering valuable products and services that will cover all bases for in-home and beyond. One thing we noticed is that you get whatever you pay for. Their products are priced separately and according to each specific feature. With the exception of Bay Alarm's VOIP compatibility, the system's features and benefits can be found at other companies for less cost, since several companies pricing is more competitive, i.e. no equipment fees or shipping fees. But keep in mind that they provide award winning quality and customer support with every medical alert system they sell. This system is recommended for people for whom English is not their first language and need a system in their native tongue.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

155 Bay Alarm Medical Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

September 7th, 2017 Weatherford, OK

Customer service is terrible, did not even try to resolve problem. You can't even post a review on their site, what does that tell you. They won't stand behind their own equipment. Don't order online because you don't get all the facts. Like the other guy, you'll end up paying for the equipment. The only response from customer service is that's not our policy.

May 29th, 2017 Renton, WA

Even when a great grandchild pushed my HELP unit twice in one day, the staff were very kind and understanding. Considered it a test of the unit.

2 1

May 18th, 2017 Ocean Shores, WA

Three years ago I purchased this for my 85 year old mother. She was delighted to get the unit and when she called to get installation instructions they walked her through the simple process step by step, she was so proud that she was able to set up this device and make it work properly the first time. The customer service people were kind and very generous with their time, making sure my aged mother understood how the button worked and what to expect when it was pushed. They ran a simulated test of the equipment to ensure everything was working as it should. Since I live nearly 2000 miles from mom I am comforted in the fact the she can get help right away in any emergency.

4 0

May 16th, 2017 New Bern, NC

AWFUL experience. Paid for equipment; arrived damaged; returned; did not get a refund; continue being billed for $200 equipment damage fee. CS is of NO help. Go elsewhere.

3 1

May 10th, 2017 Oceanside, CA

Good and reliable service. I had to use it once and they called my home and I couldn't answer, then they went down my list of contacts and then called 911.

7 1

May 1st, 2017

Good company. Have not used yet. Hope to not have to

0 2

April 28th, 2017 Newton, NC

This alarm is for my mom, and she hasn't had to use it yet. She has however set the alarm off by accident a couple of times. The response time was excellent and the representative was very courteous and understanding. I hope my mom never has to use the alarm, but it's comforting just knowing it's there. Thanks for all you do.

1 1

April 26th, 2017

The service was fine but when we went to cancel, they gave us the hard sell, called my dad to bug him, then emailed me and asked me if they could call me - after I already called and spoke with someone about canceling. Let people cancel when they no longer need the service. Really annoying.

3 0

April 26th, 2017 Evanston, IL

So far so good. Everything has been like they said it would. People have been friendly and helpful. When we call to test it, they are understanding. It gives me peace of mind that my mom has this.

April 25th, 2017

alarm went off by itself , techs had no idea why. response was great .

April 24th, 2017 Charlestown, RI

Excellent customer service. When I called to order my unit the rep was very helpful and explained everything very clearly. As for billing getting the advance that a payment is coming up means I don't find an unexpected charge on my card

April 23rd, 2017 Somerset, NJ

Customer service representatives are very patient and resourceful, especially when I activate the alarm accidentally. Their quick response and understanding of my mistake substantially increase my confidence that they will be there in a real emergency.

April 23rd, 2017

Bay Alarm provided equipment in a timely manner that worked as advertised. Setup was easy and support via telephone was always available. Return of equipment when no longer needed made simple also. Very good experience and would recommend to those needing this same service.

April 22nd, 2017 Cape Coral, FL

It is good to have a "protector" aroumd, to know I can get help. I wear my pendant all the time I am home. I can check the alarm occasionally and that is a good thing. Thank you, Joan

April 21st, 2017

my review of the service is good but I have recently moved out of my house for a period of time and cut out my telephone service. I have chosen at this time to stop using the bay alarm system but have paid for it for a year. I may need it in a month or 2 months but not now. I have called the office spoken to a person and done everything I have been told to do but every two weeks I get a call saying I need to check my system they have evencalled one of the list of people to call. I have no way of checking and Ive told them that but they say I can only cancel service for two weeks at a time. This is definitely a pain and a nuisance and every time they call , which is automated I'm afraid they'll call rescue. Getting close to sending the whole thing back and when I need another Ill go somewhere else. Its a shame because when I was using it it was fine.

3 0

April 21st, 2017

VERY PROMPT IN ANSWERING ALARM. ALWAYS VERY POLIRTE

April 21st, 2017 San Jose, CA

We got this for our Mom, who was 85 years old. The delivery was quicker than expected. The Customer Service was excellent. She used it once and they were quick to respond and the ambulance was there within minutes! Unfortunately our Mom passed away in the hospital, but the alarm worked! We returned it and it happened to be within our trial period, which we didn't know we had and we will be getting a refund. Definitely, easy to deal with and very helpful!

April 21st, 2017 Mansfield Depot, CT

Occasionally the alalrm goes off due to an error made such as leaning against the device. It is great to know how quickly the response time is. Thank you!

April 20th, 2017 Ballwin, MO

We have bought the service for our mother. Apparently it needs a reset occasionally and confuses our mom.

April 20th, 2017 Bridgewater, NJ

Makes me feel comfortable knowing my parents have this .