Alert1 is a leading provider of medical alert systems in the United States. This company provides award-winning service and has received top ratings from consumers and industry leaders. Alert1 has protected and gained the trust of over 200,000 members to date with a 98 percent member renewal rate. Alert1 offers versatility with monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual plans. Alert1 offers friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.

Read Alert1 reviews below to see what past and current customers have to say about the medical alert system provider.

#1 Medical Guardian chevron_right
#2 LifeStation chevron_right
#3 One Call Alert chevron_right

The Good

• Alert1 Pricing
  • Customer Service
  • Personalized Accessories
  • Automatic Fall Detection
  • No Equipment or Activation Fee
  • Referral Discounts
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Warranty

Alert1 Pricing

Pricing plans with Alert1 start at $16.95 per month and go up to $49.95. Contracts are available as a monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, or annual plan. Service is offered in all 50 states, but the customer must live in an area with sufficient cell phone coverage.

Alert1 pricing is in line with most top-rated medical alert companies with its cost only requiring a monthly monitoring fee.

One of Alert1's primary benefits is its customer service, which includes access to a professional monitoring center and CSAA-certified operators that stay on the line with the customer until help arrives. In addition, the company offers a personalized response, which means that operators go beyond calling 911; they also contact a family member or friend from a customized list of contacts in the event of an emergency.

The Alert1 base unit is equipped with two-way communication, so when you have an emergency and press the alert button, the monitoring center responds quickly, between 30–45 seconds. Furthermore, while most other medical alert companies have only one command center, Alert1 has two fully independent, US-based command centers in different states to ensure that service will still be available in the case of power outages. The base station also has a backup battery that lasts up to 24 hours, so you won't have to worry about it not functioning during power outages.

Personalized Accessories

Alert1 offers an array of personalized accessories, including lanyards and wristbands with different color options. Accessories are made of silicone for flexibility and are 100 percent waterproof. Customers don't necessarily need to choose between a lanyard and a wrist button for their medical alert device because Alert1 makes it easy to transform the alert button from a necklace to a wristband and vice versa.

Automatic Fall Detection

Alert1 offers a mobile fall detection pendant, which senses a fall and automatically notifies the command center. The mobile fall detection pendant includes the same benefits as the company's other systems, such as 24/7 monitoring service, a customer service representative that stays on the line until help arrives, and two-way voice in the base unit.

The mobile medical alert is one of the smallest on the market and is designed to be worn comfortably around the neck. This ensures that even in the case of a fall, the pendant will remain attached to you and will be easily accessible. The emergency button has a battery life that lasts for five years, and it includes a low battery notification. Alert1 will send you a new button when the battery life is low, so you don't have to worry about replacing it yourself. Note the fall detection pendant does require a landline.

No Equipment or Activation Fee

Alert1 does not charge for equipment or activation. This can give seniors peace of mind that there aren't many required fees to use Alert1 services. The only cost you will be responsible for is the monthly monitoring fee, which varies based on the plan you select.

Referral Discounts

For every friend you refer to Alert1, you receive one free month of service. This is a great offer if you have a spouse or friend who also needs a medical alert device.

Money-Back Guarantee

Alert1 provides a money-back guarantee if you cancel its services and return the alert device and other equipment within the first 30 days. Alert1's website does note that "to qualify for a refund, new members must subscribe to a quarterly, annual or semi-annual service plan, use the medical alert device to place a successful test call to the Command Center and return the device in its original condition within 30 days of initial purchase. Any pre-paid shipping, warranty and activation fees are non-refundable."

Warranty

Alert1 has a warranty for any physical damages that occur to the equipment after purchase. This means customers do not have to pay for any replacement costs. Also, if anything manufactural happens with the equipment, Alert1 will always take care of it at no cost to the customer.

The Bad

Negative User Reviews

Although Alert1 doesn't have a large number of consumer reviews yet, the majority of the current ones are negative, highlighting poor customer service and cancellation issues. Be aware of the terms of Alert1's contracts, as they are all different and vary in price and refund policies.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Alert1 offers flexible service options and does not require customers to sign into a long-term agreement. Alert1 also has referral programs that give you one free month of service for every friend referred, and no equipment or activation fees are required. Personalized accessories and fall detection services are also available.

However, Many Alert1 reviews reveal poor customer satisfaction, especially in regards to refunds and contracts. Consider looking into top-rated medical alert companies with positive reviews before deciding on medical alert services. You can also browse Alert1 reviews below to see what real consumers have to say about Alert1's medical alert systems and the company's service quality.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

2.6

Tracy Kornrich

January 16th, 2020 Rochester, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are efficient and reliable and always plesant

Lucinda

January 14th, 2020 New Springfield, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alert1 agents are always curteous, and helpful in being there for my 94 year old mom.

Gregory M.

January 14th, 2020 Toledo, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When my mother actually needed it, neither the bracelet or necklace worked. She had to actually go to the main box to activate it.

Alert1 Logo

Reply from Alert1

Jan 14, 2020

Hello Gregory, We are very sorry to hear that her buttons did not work in her time of need! We would like to reach out and provide technical support to ensure that her buttons are working properly. Could you please send us a private message with the best phone number to reach you at? Thank you!

Peggy

January 14th, 2020 Tekamah, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Both my mother and I have used Alert 1. I was able to contract friends and the local rescue squad just last month. Those who answer calls and testing are professional and friendly.

Mark

January 6th, 2020 Scranton, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My mother needed assistance two times since installation. Alert1 was there both times to assist.

Nancy Berg

January 6th, 2020 Fairfax, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

GREAT RESPONSE WHEN I FELL AND BROKE MY SHOULDER.

Kare

January 6th, 2020 West Islip, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very satisfied. Only problem is that when received. All on cell it came it was identified as potential scam so i did not pick up but msg was calm and clear

Alert1 Logo

Reply from Alert1

Jan 08, 2020

Hello Kare, Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We do apologize and are looking into why the phone number may have been listed as a scam. If you have any questions or want to verify any of our numbers please give us a call at 1-800-693-5433 Option 2. Thank you, Alert1

Patricia Gray

December 12th, 2019 Greenlawn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT use this company. The service itself if fine but when you go to cancel they will try and charge you over $500 for so called "damaged equipment" the device we returned was in 100% working order when we returned it and it was a refurbished one anyway because we had to replace one a few months before canceling the service. BUYER BEWARE

David Reimuller

October 21st, 2019 Great Falls, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Beware! I ordered the service for my 100+ year old mother. The service worked as advertised the one time needed - my mother fell at night and the emergency services were called. The problem came after my mother passed away. I called to cancel the service. They sent me a UPS label to return the telephone device. The system was sent by UPS using the label provided. If I received a receipt, I did not save it, since I heard nothing. Almost one year later I received a bill for another year of service. I called to say I had cancelled the service. I was told they had never received the telephone unit and the billing would continue until I returned it or paid for it -$559.95. I had the shipping number, so called UPS. They said they do not keep records after 120 days. UPS suggested an investigation, but said only Alert1 could request one, since the label was issued to them. I advised Alert1 of this. A week later they said there was no record and I had to pay. All the while the young ladies answering my calls were adamant that I must pay, would not accept any responsibility for the device perhaps having been mishandled by them after arrival. It was just "No. You have to pay." I felt blackmailed - pay when I believe I am not responsible and have done everything I could do, or suffer damage to my credit. Finally, in desperation and disgust, I paid, telling them to finally cancel the service. In typical fashion, I received no confirmation of they receiving my check or cancelling the service. This has been a most disappointing and disagreeable experience, and I caution all to consider before signing up and, if you do, to make absolutely sure you obtain and retain proof of sending the equipment back.

Jacqueline Blodgett

September 25th, 2019 Milwaukee, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Emergency equipment is useless. My friend fell and pushed the button - I arrived 45 minutes later and call still was unanswered. She had to crawl to the phone and in the process made matters worse - dislocating the ball of her hip. Canceled service immediately and they still charged my credit card.

Alan danovitch

July 25th, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have alert 1 and find customer service Extremely helpful.

Doug Wilcox

April 24th, 2019 Gainesville, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The necklace device did not seat into the charger and charge as it should have, it has a design defect where we had to weigh down the device with a book to get it to make contact with the charger. Unfortunately my father no longer needed the equipment after two years. We send it back a few days after the annual contract was done and now they are demanding the entire next year of the contract, we offered to pay for the time we had the equipment, they denied that and are demanding payment for entire next year. I suggest you go elsewhere than Alert 1.

Ron Bialek

April 24th, 2019 Chevy Chase, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Having used Alert1 since 2014, paying quarterly as suggested by the Alert1 sales agent, I now find myself scammed by Alert1. When starting this service, I was told that for any unused month, I'd receive a prorated refund. When my dad went into nursing home and then hospice care, I discontinued my dad's service. There as 1 1/2 months left on the three month cycle, so I expected to receive a 1 month refund. I was then told that NO refund would be issued as I supposedly agreed to in 2014. I NEVER agreed to this and NEVER received any notice of this supposed policy. Alert1 representatives insist they are correct and have threatened me with sending my account to a collection agency. They received over $1400 from me and refused to refund $34.80, as agreed to back in 2014. While the Alert1 service was good, I recommend NOT purchasing any services from this company. Not issuing a refund for unused service, and a service primarily used by the elderly, is unethical, and frankly, a scam.

Patricia Wong

April 22nd, 2019 Pleasanton, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently purchased the product for my mother. It did not fit her petite size. I received the product April 17, 2019 and returned it the next day, April 18 via FedEx. I'm within their 30 day refund policy. However, Alert 1 refuses to refund until I activate the product. They will return the product, at my expense, and for me to activate & return (also at my expense) before they would refund. In short, Alert 1 intentionally are being difficult to take advantage of their ELDERLY clients. I called their Sales Unit; Customer Service, Technical Support on the day I was returning the product. They are all CLOSED. There was NOBODY on their end to assist with any questions. It appears that their policy is once you BOUGHT IT, YOU'RE STUCKED WITH IT.

James H

April 15th, 2019 Surprise, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have 'tested' the system several times since signing up and in all instances the test failed. Each time the representative had a different excuse for the failure. I had signed up for my wife and me and she passed away three months later. I called the company after another failure (no answer, just continuous beeping), and was told I could cancel but no refund was possible. I am an 83 year old man on social security and now living alone. I still have 9 months on my contract. I have had 3 strokes and one heart attack I cannot take a chance on this system anymore. I'll let my contract run out but I'' not renew. Meanwhile I'll hope I can use my telephone and 911 when I need it. GO TO ANOTHER COMPANY, NOT ALERT 1.

George E Lloyd

January 31st, 2019 Ridley Park, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I told them I needed a base using my FiOS land line. The box never worked when I got it a month ago. They refuse to refund the quarterly payment because of the service agreement. They broke the defacto contract thus I feel my compliance isn't necessary because they broke the agreement. They insist I return it and when I ask I am told it isn't part of the agreement which they breached making it non existant. They now say they will keep billing until I return the base unit and not return my money.

Mike

November 27th, 2018 Bluffton, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had this service for my ailing father for over two years. On one occasion, the alert was sounded, they could not reach a family member and did not put in a 911 call. My father passed away just two months after the third year renewal , I called to cancel his service and they will not prorate the remaining amount and issue a refund. They told me I could transfer to another person. I told them I did not have anyone else dying.

RUBY MULL

July 9th, 2018 Derby, KS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Price goes up every year. Just paid for a year two months ago. My mother passed. We have had the service 4 years and never used it. When we did the monthly test, it took almost 2 min. to get a response. They will not refund the 10 months left of the year's payment I made. I would lean toward another company if you are needing this service.

Danielle Hays

June 28th, 2018 Lebanon, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. My grandmother was set up with Alert 1 by her home health agency after she was diagnosed with terminal cancer. She literally received her Alert 1 in the mail less than 12 hours before she passed away. When I called the next day to inform them of her passing, they informed me she was set up with a quarterly account and no refund would be available. I was even willingly to a pay for a month but that I thought it was ridiculous since her family did not know she was signed up for 4 mos. given she was only given 2 mos to live and they did not care and were not willing to give any type of refund of any sort.

lewis bryant

April 19th, 2018 Cleburne, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

POOR service, unit didnt work when mother in law fell and now she cant stay in her apartment. tried to cancel and get refund for the remaining 8 months that we paid in advance and they not only wont refund but we have to pay to send back their crappy equipment. Supervisor called and resolved issue very next day. The lady, Sarah I believe was very professional and polite.

Daphne Gregory-Thomas

March 30th, 2018 Mendham, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do not use this service! I got it for my elderly father and 6 months later he fell. I called to cancel since he was hospitalized and would be going into a nursing home. I was told I could not cancel for that year and when I asked what I was supposed to do , they suggested I give it away to someone else who may need it or donate it. They did not suggest, remind me, or send instructions regarding equipment return. I told them to cancel the service as soon as possible but could not get a refund for the unused time. 6 months later I got a bill for the next year and called again. I was then told I did not return the equipment and would be charged for the year AND the long gone equipment. When I reminded them of our previous conversation and that they told me to “donate “ or “give it to someone else who could use it” they THEN sent me an email with instructions on how to return it. I called back many times after that and finally settled the issue with an account rep who said she understood the misinterpretation of my first phone call and that the account would be closed with my previous year’s annual fee covering the missing equipment. Done deal? Not really... TODAY I got a bill for over one thousand dollars for this year’s fee and the missing equipment!!!!! I reminded them to check their notes which they did and confirmed my conversations with them. However, they were unyielding , rude, and insistent that I owed this money! My dad used this service for 5 months and the total was over $1,500 because of their poor communication and customer service. I informed them that my father died months ago and there was no money to pay these unwarranted fees! Answer: Sorry to hear that but you need to pay! DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE!!!! Customer service stinks!!!

John F Hale

March 23rd, 2018 Houma, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I canceled service to a unit I hade for a friend and they tried to tell me I did not have unit back in time and they billed me for another month. they did not have a current card on me, so they could not get paid. I did not pay. I had a unit for myself, and canceled it also, sent unit back with a tracking number. they sent me an e-mail bill saying that it did not get there in time. Charged me $40.00 + dollars. When I called about bill same day the bill went from $40.00+ to $80.00+. I will not pay. I will be report them to the BBB

tanya griffin

March 9th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Alert 1 Emergency alert for disabled mom 5 day battery -but it doesn't hold a Charge for more than 12 hours. My mother must wake up early at 5 am to Charge the battery for three hours everyday before she can venture away from the house. And then again at 5pm for three hours. At this time the emergency button is causing her more stress instead of making her feel confident and safe. The company switched her from a 30 day button due to cell tower changes and have given me two different buttons that have both not held a charge. Alert 1 refuses to give me a refund for the remainder of the year I have already paid for so I can afford a service that actually benefits my disabled mother so she Feels confident that emergency services can be reached when she leaves the house. The customer service has been less than poor. They have basically laughed at me when I asked what can be done with addressing the issue which I have brought to their attention. The product has been garbage but I am stuck with the malfunctioning device through the end of the year. IF YOU CARE ABOUT YOUR LOVED ONE, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

Roger

February 26th, 2018 Indianola, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Make sure you READ all the terms of your agreement and especially their terms of CANCELLATION OF SERVICE. I suggest you look around as I have the same complaint as many others. NO REFUNDS AFTER 30 days if they have your bank check number.

Diane P

November 22nd, 2017 Henderson, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is the worst. We sign up for an annual and when my Mom had to be transferred into an assisting living after a month of having the service they did not want to refund us any monies. They claim that they have over 200000 subscribers and you​ will not refund our funds. Reporting to the BBB

PennyTuberosa

November 7th, 2017 Tampa, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank you for the expedient response when my mother, Naomi was needing the immediate assistance. The turn around time as provided assistance could not have been better.

Phil

October 24th, 2017 Findlay, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Once again Alert1 performed excellent. Mom fell again. They called the paramedics, then my brother then me just like we planned. Mom was ok this time but I couldn’t ask for better service from Alert1.

Emily

October 20th, 2017 West Babylon, NY

Unscrupulous company policy. I wish I had read these reviews 2 months ago. Sales pitch begins with a monthly program at a high rate and a 30 day refund then is moved to discuss savings by taking an annual plan at a reduced rate with no mention of the "lack of refund" policy. Then when the situation changes and the services are no longer required you are out in the cold with not even a prorated refund of any of the prepaid expenses. Unadulterated abuse of elders with an untested product! Company should be banned from senior facilities until policies are modified to protect the consumer!

Nicholas Panuzo

October 18th, 2017 Woodbridge, VA

I have your service for my 83-year-old Father. He has used it 4 times in the last 6 months due to falls. He cannot get up, uses his necklace button, the Maryland State Police and St. Michaels FD respond, open a door with the assistance of a realtor type key box, and help him. I'm 2 hours away and it gives me great comfort knowing Alert One is there for him 24/7.

Betty

October 12th, 2017 Brundidge, AL

Awesome. Could not reach my daughter, so they called emergency services. Just what I needed them to do.

John

October 10th, 2017

Service is mostly good. What I don't like is telephone responders tend to call the paramedics before trying to reach family members for non emergency situations such as a person having difficulty getting out of bed or having a BM accident.

Renee Wolfe

October 9th, 2017 Redding, CA

Staff is extremely helpful, courteous and professional. Alert1 is truly a life saver.

Joseph Laskus

October 6th, 2017 Yadkinville, NC

Updated, I will give their customer service department an "A" for response.

Brandon Singleton

September 29th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Used Alert1 first time - dispatch of local emergency response and the Alert1 operators who communicated with family members was excellent! Only concern - it took 2+ minutes for Alert1 to respond after hitting call button.

William Caravia

August 24th, 2017

Would not give back remainder of payment when canceling service when moving to retirement home!!!

KR

August 15th, 2017 Alexandria, MN

In regard to AKC's post, I have two buttons. One is red and one is blue. So it's very possible that they might have white buttons as well. As far as service is concerned, I have always gotten prompt attention the few times I've needed to use it. I'm very satisfied with the service. Of course, I haven't tried to return anything yet. We do pay quarterly, I believe, which apparently is a good thing based on other's experience with not getting money back which should be reported to the BBB.

AKC

July 25th, 2017 Williamsport, PA

In regards to the review by Thomas A Butler... I assure you that it was not Alert 1 that your mother had because their buttons are white. They have great member care services and are always polite and courteous to their members! I love Alert 1!!!

Thomas A Butler

June 28th, 2017 Globe, AZ

I am not happy with the service I got from the Alert 1 company when I returned the unit after 11 months of use. My 95 year old mother could not distinguish the black button to push from the black base. I painted the button with white finger nail polish so she could see it. When I returned the unit, they charged me $500 damage for replacement of a plastic button the size of a dime. Anyone buying this service should be aware, that upon returning the unit, they will find something wrong in order to get another $500 out of you.

Dell Reed

June 26th, 2017 Meriden, CT

I ordered Alert 1 June of 2016 & paid $60.00 a month. Just now I found out they were that expensive because they were charging me for things I did not want or need. For instance fall protection, GPS, to be used away from home, & I don't know what else. Now I have another unit from them for $30.00 a month. Big difference. They should refund the difference BUT they tell me I used it for those months. Everyone was surprised that I was paying that much while other company's were $30.00 a month. Because of this I would not recommend anyone to use their company. I will use the new unit for now but might cancel them in a few months. Because of this problem I would not recommend them to anyone. They are a no. 1 in my opinion. BAD POOR

Joe Livingston

June 2nd, 2017 Lincolnshire, IL

Had one of these for my mother. Actually upgraded to the fall detection from older version which did to have fall detection. All the testing was always good. The one time my mother needed the fall detection it did not work. My mother laid on the floor all night until we found her the next day. The EMT took the pendant off and threw it on the bed and it called the control center. It was too late for us. I paid for a service that did not work. Tried cancelling service once mom was gone - no refunds folks - I paid the annual fee and they do not refund. After some discussion and sharing the results of my mother they agree to prorate the fee once they received all the equipment back. Just be careful - if you are using this service for peace of mind - it may not work when you need it most.

Sue Leja

April 26th, 2017 Winchester, MA

BEWARD of fine print. HUGE fines if you don't return all the equipment. I returned everything, except the wireless router which was broken via the way they instructed me to in order to avoid the $500 non equipment return clause, something I was never made aware of when I got the service. I sent everything via overnight mail because I only had 3 days to return it before the next 3 months charge hit my credit card. Well, even though I returned EVERYTHING else, I am still being charged the $500 since ALL the equipment wasn't returned. I asked for it to be reduced since I returned everything else, they said NO.

Paul Langner

January 23rd, 2017 Racine, WI

My parents used Alert 1 and were satisfied with the service. They paid yearly rather than to have to pay every month. When my father died my mother decided to move to assisted living and she cancelled her service. One thing they don't tell you is that they will not refund any of the unused service. This means my mother spent hundreds of dollars for service she never received. This was never mentioned when she signed up and they gave her the bums rush when she requested a refund. Beware of the fine print. I feel they took full advantage of my elderly parents. Who's ever heard of a company keeping 8 months of payments. By the way, they told my mother to return the unit and they would look into a refund. She shipped it back right away and she never heard from them again.

RJV

January 23rd, 2017

They are great and always respond with professionalism and courtesy. Very happy with the product and the service.

Connie Siese

November 11th, 2016 Westland, MI

I like their pricing, the button is a bit smaller so more comfortable, service is great

Aldona Ruppert

September 20th, 2016 La Grange, IL

I cancelled services for my mother-in-law. We had paid a year at a time as a savings. It turned out not to be a savings since the company would not return almost a full year of payment ($323)(August 2016-August 2017. We never saw or were told that this would happen. My family found this very unfair, particularly for a senior service. If we had known we would have paid quarterly.

Marsha Oates

February 25th, 2016 Washington, DC

I got this system, the new cellular one, for my sister but she died before the equipment was taken out of the box. I called to cancel the service and to find out about a refund. THERE IS NO REFUND for the $159.00 I paid. I asked to speak to someone in management and was told I was speaking to a supervisor and she assured me the was no recourse. I am completely dissatisfied with this so called "customer service." Be very wary if you deal with Alert 1.

Terryski

July 20th, 2015 Levittown, PA

They saved my mother's life. She fell in the kitchen with a pot on the stove. It could have caused a fire. They had the ambulance there in minutes and they took her to the hospital. They called me to let me know what was happening. It was the best purchase I ever made for my mom.

john

February 5th, 2015 Williamsport, PA

I got this unit for my mother, now my father is confidant to leave my disabled mother alone in the home. It is great to know that help is a button press away.