Alert1

5.7

Alert1 is a leading provider of medical alert systems in the United States. The company provides award-winning service and has received top ratings from consumers and industry leaders. Alert1 has protected and gained the trust of over 200,000 members to date with a 98 percent member renewal rate. Alert1 offers friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-day money-back guarantee (only eligible for the 10-month plan).

Read Alert1 reviews below to see what past and current customers have to say about the medical alert system provider.

The Good

• Excellent Customer Service with Quick Response Times
  • Personalized Accessories
  • Automatic Fall Detection
  • No Equipment or Activation Fee*
  • Referral Discounts
  • Money-Back Guarantee*
  • Warranty

Excellent Customer Service with Quick Response Times

One of Alert1's primary benefits is its customer service, which includes access to a professional monitoring center that is CSAA certified with trained operators that stay on the line with the customer until help arrives. In addition, the company offers a personalized response, meaning operators go beyond calling 911; they also contact a family member or friend from a customized list of contacts in the event of an emergency.

The Alert1 base unit is equipped with two-way communication, so when you have an emergency and press the alert button, the monitoring center responds quickly, between 30–45 seconds. Also, while most other medical alert companies have only one command center, Alert1 has two fully independent, U.S.-based command centers in different states to ensure that service will still be available in the case of power outages.

Personalized Accessories

Alert1 offers an array of personalized accessories, including lanyards and wristbands with different color options. Accessories are made of silicone for flexibility and are 100 percent waterproof. Customers don't need to choose between a lanyard and a wrist button for their medical alert device because Alert1 makes it easy to transform the alert button from a necklace to a wristband and vice versa.

Alert1 also offers a protective case and belt loop attachment if you prefer to wear the medical alert device on your belt. The attachment is velcro and works only for the on-the-go devices.

Automatic Fall Detection

Alert1 offers a mobile medical alert system with a fall detection pendant that senses a fall and automatically notifies the command center. The mobile fall detection pendant includes the same benefits as the company's other systems, such as 24/7 monitoring service, a customer service representative that stays on the line until help arrives, and two-way voice functionality in the base unit.

The emergency button has a battery life that lasts for five years, and it includes a low-battery notification. Alert1 will send you a new button when the battery life is low, so you don't have to worry about replacing it yourself.

Typically, medical alert companies will offer fall detection as an add-on to any medical alert package and will charge an extra $5–$10 per month. Alert1 instead offers fall detection as part of a few of its offered plans. Pricing is on par with other medical alert options (That is if you opt for the 10-month pricing plan. The month-to-month plan is significantly more expensive than other medical alert systems on the market).

No Equipment or Activation Fee*

Alert1 does not charge for equipment or activation. This can give seniors peace of mind that there aren't many required fees to use Alert1 services. The only cost you will be responsible for is the monthly monitoring fee, which varies based on the plan you select.

*However, be aware that if you don't opt for the 10-month plan. Alert1 does require a $19.95 activation fee.

Referral Discounts

For every friend you refer to Alert1, you receive one free month of service. This is a great offer if you have a spouse or friend who also needs a medical alert device. Also, if you have a second medical alert user you want to sign up on your same plan, Alert1 offers up to 60 percent off of the second user's service.

Money-Back Guarantee*

Alert1 provides a money-back guarantee if you cancel its services and return the alert device and other equipment within the first 30 days. Any costs paid for shipping and activation are non-refundable.

*To qualify for the 30-day money-back guarantee, you need to pay for the 10-month plan. If you have the month-to-month plan, you miss out on this benefit, in addition to a free month of service and free activation.

Warranty

Alert1 has a warranty for any physical damages that occur to the equipment after purchase. This means customers do not have to pay for any replacement costs. Also, if anything manufactural happens with the equipment, Alert1 will always take care of it at no cost to the customer.

The Bad

• Limited Plan Options
  • Activation Fee for Month-to-Month Plan
  • No Two-Way Communication for At-Home Plans
  • Limited Range
  • Missing Features
  • Alert1 Reviews

Limited Plan Options

Alert1 pricing is on the more expensive side when compared to other medical alert companies. The company only offers either a month-to-month plan or a 10-month plan. Because of this, Alert1 has higher monthly fees, especially if you opt for the month-to-month plan.

The majority of medical alert companies offer month-to-month, quarterly. semi-annual, and annual pricing plans. This provides flexibility when deciding which payment plan works best for your situation. It's disappointing Alert1 only gives its customers two options.

The only way you can receive a discount on pricing is if you choose the 10-month plan where you pay for all 10 months upfront, and this will waive your activation fee and save you upwards of $100 throughout the span of your contract.

Below you can find a breakdown of Alert1's package options:

At Home Medical Alert At Home + Fall Detection On the Go On the Go + Fall Detection At Home + On the Go + Fall Detection
Fall Detection
Landline
Wireless Option +$10 per Month +$10 per Month
Range from Base Unit 600 Feet 400 Feet Unlimited Unlimited Unlimited
Battery Life of Button 2 Years 2 Years 30 Days 3–5 Days 3–5 Days; 2 Years
Button Type Wristband or Necklace Wristband or Necklace Necklace with Belt Clip Attachment Necklace with Belt Clip Attachment Necklace with Belt Clip Attachment
Month-to-Month Plan $28.95 $38.95 $38.95 $48.95 $58.95
10-Month Plan $19.95 $29.95 $29.95 $39.95 $49.95

Alert1 notes on its website that if your landline functions on a VoIP system or is bundled with cable and/or internet, you'll need to purchase one of Alert1's wireless medical alert options.

Activation Fee for Month-to-Month Plan

As stated above, you can waive the activation fee if you pay for the 10-month plan. However, if you decide you want the month-to-month plan, which is the more convenient option for many customers, you are required to pay $19.95 to activate the Alert1 medical alert system.

No Two-Way Communication for At-Home Plans

Alert1's at-home medical alert system does not include a speaker in the button. This means you'll be unable to communicate directly with the monitoring center through the emergency button. Instead, you'll need to be near the medical alert system. A voice extender to place in another common area of your home could potentially help with this if you aren't near your base station. However, Alert1 doesn't appear to offer voice extenders on its website.

Limited Range

Alert1 has a limited range from the base station for its medical alert systems. You can have a system with a 400-foot range, or you can purchase the more robust plan that includes a range of 600 feet from the base station. However, many medical alert companies offer ranges up to 1,500 feet, so if you're looking for a medical alert system with a wider range, Alert1 may not be the best fit for you.

Missing Features

Medical alert companies have begun expanding their services to include additional features for customers to take advantage of. For example, activity monitoring and medication reminders are features medical alert providers often include as part of their service. However, Alert1 has neither and seems to have a simpler offering that focuses strictly on traditional medical alert monitoring only.

Some medical alert providers are even offering smartwatch medical alert devices that offer medication reminders, activity monitoring, GPS tracking, weather information, etc. directly through the device. If you're looking for more robust medical alert offerings, Alert1 falls short on these offerings and features.

Alert1 Reviews

Alert1 has more than 100 reviews but has fairly mixed feedback from its customers, about half of the reviews being 5 stars and the other half being 1 star.  Will you be the customer who has a great experience or will you be disappointed? With as much negative feedback as there is positive, it's difficult to know what to expect if your purchase an Alert1 medical alert system. It may be a better option to look into another medical alert service that has reviews with more solid positive feedback.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Alert1 offers flexible medical alert service options and does not require customers to sign into a long-term agreement. Alert1 also has referral programs that give you one free month of service for every friend referred, and no equipment or activation fees are required as long as you opt for the 10-month plan. Personalized accessories and fall detection services are also available.

Because pricing is a bit more expensive when compared to competitors and it has a shorter range than most, you may want to consider looking into other top-rated medical alert companies.

You can also browse Alert1 reviews below to see what real consumers have to say about Alert1's medical alert systems and the company's service quality.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

3.1

Nancy Burkley

They always get back to me, and are not upset when it was because I accidentally pushed my button. I love having the locked box so the EMTs don’t have to knock down my door. I do have to keep in top on their billing. I signed up for the plan where they will not raise my rates if I pay yearly and they tend to “forget’. I have to call to fix the bill. If it was t for this, they would get five stars.

Patricia Rambo Williamsport, PA

I have never had to use the service in an emergency. I have noticed that within the last few years when I test the equipment, it sometimes takes a while for someone to answer. This would concern me in an emergency.

Sarah prouty Houston, TX

Alert 1 has been there for my mother more times than I can count. They always respond quickly and help arrives in minutes. It gives her such peace of mind. All the epitome to works flawlessly. So easy to set up, use, and maintain. I cannot day enough good things about this company.

Adele A. Germoles Carmichael, CA

1.sometimes caller does not hear me correctly even though I am in the very same room no more than 3 - 4 ft from device .2. need directions of what to do when the power is off and the speaker repeats.. no power etc. no telephone line etc.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Adele, thank you for sending us your review. Your system has a backup battery in it, so that if the power ever goes out you will still be able to push your button and get help! If you have any questions or concerns about your device please give us a call at 1-800-693-5433 Option 3. Any of our Technical Support Representatives will be happy to help you.

Bill Moody Seattle, WA

Devices work OK. But try to cancel. After my MIL used this service for more than a decade, she died and I went to cancel. Alert1 wanted the devices returned (after a decade!). They had gotten lost in the shuffle. Alert1 is trying to charge me $600 penalty for two boxes that are so old they are throwaways. Use another service.

Juanita Newbury Park, CA

Because a few years ago Alert 1 saved my life. I fell and cut my head and luckily pressed the button before passing out.t

Margarita Salas

Always there for me whenever I need them. Excellent response time also. Very good quality of the equipment and I feel like it’s out of sight and never a bother

Janet

Quick phone response to alarm. Even tho it’s never been a real emergency, just our mom accidentally setting it off, we appreciate how fast response time is.

Jan Strongsville, OH

I was called immediately when my mother fell. EMS was already on the route to her house and Alert1 kept both my sister and I informed as she was speaking to emergency personell.

Michelle Brazell

Everytime my parents have needed them they were right there! Anytime we had any problem with machine or just a question we were treated with nothing but professional kindness…

Peggy Tekamah, NE

Both my mother and I have used Alert 1. I was able to contract friends and the local rescue squad just last month. Those who answer calls and testing are professional and friendly.

Patricia Di Leva San Pedro, CA

Dependability is important at my age. The operators are always courteous and helpful.

Susan Wolf Garber Warminster, PA

I've been with therm for 12 years. I went to cancel and they want the prepaid amount in full. I only used it for one month. They wanted me to send three full months. I feel I should only send oner month that I used. Rewad your contract carefully. I did call the service rep a thief and she said I was using a curse word. Huih.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Susan, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We do currently offer pro-rated refunds for any unused months that remain after cancellation. Could you please provide the account information so that we can ensure your account is taken care of?

Marjorie Meehan Aliquippa, PA

Always there when I need them whether I'm in the basement, in the backyard or on the porch or eating dinner.

Brian K Williamson Newtown, PA

Horrible Horrible People. They make you prepay money for a YEAR and when your parents don't use it they basically tell you - too bad, we are keeping your money. Oh and when your 90 year old parents don't even open the box that's your problem. And when they say "send it back" we will consider a refund, no one mentions you need to open it up and read the information and set it up. You try and do something to help seniors and yet here is another company that prays on them. Please Please don't get tricked into pre-paying for their service or products. We will be contacting the BBB and the State Attorney General's office. If you don't use a service why should anyone be allowed to keep a whole year of your hard earned money. And they prepopulate the review with "amazing" Horrible.

Kare West Islip, NY

Very satisfied. Only problem is that when received. All on cell it came it was identified as potential scam so i did not pick up but msg was calm and clear

Reply from Alert1

Hello Kare, Thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We do apologize and are looking into why the phone number may have been listed as a scam. If you have any questions or want to verify any of our numbers please give us a call at 1-800-693-5433 Option 2. Thank you, Alert1

Jan. 8th, 2020

Nicholas Panuzo Woodbridge, VA

I have your service for my 83-year-old Father. He has used it 4 times in the last 6 months due to falls. He cannot get up, uses his necklace button, the Maryland State Police and St. Michaels FD respond, open a door with the assistance of a realtor type key box, and help him. I'm 2 hours away and it gives me great comfort knowing Alert One is there for him 24/7.

Geraldine Stonington, IL

They are always pleasant and helpful. Sometimes it takes them awhile to answer.

Helon Neeson Shreveport, LA

I was just charged approximately $130.00 on my credit card when I cancelled service and was told that was non refundable. That doesn’t seem right.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Helon, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We would like to look into why the account was charged after cancellation. Could you please send us the Members name or phone number so that we can look into your account?

Mary Bremerton, WA

Because they have always been ready to help me. I have her use Alert1 since 2012.

JOY WOLFE Orwigsburg, PA

Always quick to respond - respectful - very helpful - listen to patient requests

Natalie Borges Santa Clara, CA

They have not completed my requests. They do not communicate with each other. To top it off, they contacted me to check my equipment after they were notified that my Dad had passed away.

Mike Sutton, WV

My mother-in-law had been an Alert1 customer for a few years. Two months after the annual renewal she was moved to a care facility. They would not give her a prorated refund. Charged her for the entire year. Shameful!

Reply from Alert1

Hello Mike, thank you for bringing this to our attention as we have reviewed our refund policies. Could you please provide the Member's name or phone number so that we can look into the account further?

Alice Tanzillo Springdale, WA

If you want to have peace of mind that your loved one is being cared for, DO NOT USE ALERT ONE! Their terms and service are completely oblivious to the fact the their primary clients are seniors, who may not have the sophistication or even mobility to keep to their terms. We returned the equipment after cancelling and insured it for $600. It was received two days late and they sent her a collection notice within a week. She had a complete meltdown. When I called them, they complained to ME about how unreasonable she was on the phone. She's 84!!!!

Reply from Alert1

Hello Alice, we appreciate you taking the time to send this our way. We apologize for any confusion however we are unable to cancel an account out until all the leased equipment has been received. We would be willing to look into the account further for you, could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number? Thank you, Alert1

Feb. 22nd, 2021

Mary Ann Sugarloaf, PA

When my mom would get into a difficult situation she would push her button and they were there. It gave my siblings and myself a piece of mind.

Jennifer Baker

Always there at the ready even on false alarm operators always prepared to identify problem and send help immediately if needed

KR Alexandria, MN

In regard to AKC's post, I have two buttons. One is red and one is blue. So it's very possible that they might have white buttons as well. As far as service is concerned, I have always gotten prompt attention the few times I've needed to use it. I'm very satisfied with the service. Of course, I haven't tried to return anything yet. We do pay quarterly, I believe, which apparently is a good thing based on other's experience with not getting money back which should be reported to the BBB.

AKC Williamsport, PA

In regards to the review by Thomas A Butler... I assure you that it was not Alert 1 that your mother had because their buttons are white. They have great member care services and are always polite and courteous to their members! I love Alert 1!!!

Kurt Lucas Olney, MD

Alert has a very dependable product. It gives me the comfort level I was looking. for. Peace of mind.

Rita Brady Mechanicsburg, PA

They arrived quickly and were very courteous

Anonymous Davis, WV

Handling of an alert could be more responsive. Retuned item and refund policy needs improvement.

teresa d'alessandro King Of Prussia, PA

when i press button to even just check in no one comes on right away! it is delayed

Virginia Cedar Rapids, IA

They saved me from lying on the floor for days without help.

Marlys Packert Sauk Rapids, MN

Very polite, always ask for relevant information and 3 response time.

Anonymous Warminster, PA

Hard to hear them, when I have hit my button. But they are very nice when I do.

Sue Passafiume

Fast reliable response, calls to recheck every month, stays on device until help arrives, price

Lynn DiSarro Laguna Beach, CA

Buyer beware! I do not recommend this company. They have a terrible cancellation policy, and if you are not aware of the date you subscribed to the service, they will automatically charge you, even if it's one day past the renewal date, and do so without your consent. Know your laws in your state laws about cancellation autopay reoccurring charges. There are many medical alert companies out there, this one I would NOT recommend.

Jenni Beltz Minneapolis, MN

We have had quick responses to questions and any help we needed. Everyone has been very nice. Luckily my Boyfriend's mother has not needed to use it yet.

CJ Newton Durant, OK

I wish I had read the reviews read to me I had signed a contract with these people. I am an 88 year old Veterans widow with lung cancer, blindness, and deafness. I would have never dealt with these people. Their contract is not written with care for their customers in mind, it is designed for the company to get all the money possible from unsuspecting elderly customers. My advice: have a lawyer look over the contract before signing or, better yet, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are rude and unwilling to compromise in any way and do whatever possible to squeeze every dime possible from their victims.

Reply from Alert1

Hello CJ, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We apologize for any confusion but here at Alert1 we do not lock our members into any long term contracts. If you could provide the account information such at the Member's name and/or phone number we will look into this further for you. Thank you, Alert1

Aug. 17th, 2020

lewis bryant Cleburne, TX

POOR service, unit didnt work when mother in law fell and now she cant stay in her apartment. tried to cancel and get refund for the remaining 8 months that we paid in advance and they not only wont refund but we have to pay to send back their crappy equipment. Supervisor called and resolved issue very next day. The lady, Sarah I believe was very professional and polite.

Phil Findlay, OH

Once again Alert1 performed excellent. Mom fell again. They called the paramedics, then my brother then me just like we planned. Mom was ok this time but I couldn’t ask for better service from Alert1.

Terryski Levittown, PA

They saved my mother's life. She fell in the kitchen with a pot on the stove. It could have caused a fire. They had the ambulance there in minutes and they took her to the hospital. They called me to let me know what was happening. It was the best purchase I ever made for my mom.

Richard Malverne, NY

Pricing has gotten too high and they added ancillary warranty fees to my subscription without authorization.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Richard, thank you for your review. We would like to review the billing on the account and as to why a warranty was added without your authorization! Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Lilia Brown Alamo, TX

not easy to cancel and we have had it for many years. nobody lives in that house anymore 1 reviews do not seem to be accepted

Reply from Alert1

Hello Lilia, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to make everything easy for our members, including when they need to cancel their services. Could you please provide the Member's name and/phone number so that we can look into this further?

ron pratali Cicero, IL

5 so far 3 service price keeps going up

Andrew

they have helped my mom several times, bringing either medical help or me.

helen d clayton Creedmoor, NC

well pleased with the services received since the very beginning. Great customer service reps

Lucinda New Springfield, OH

Alert1 agents are always curteous, and helpful in being there for my 94 year old mom.

Gregory M. Toledo, OH

When my mother actually needed it, neither the bracelet or necklace worked. She had to actually go to the main box to activate it.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Gregory, We are very sorry to hear that her buttons did not work in her time of need! We would like to reach out and provide technical support to ensure that her buttons are working properly. Could you please send us a private message with the best phone number to reach you at? Thank you!

Jan. 14th, 2020

Mark Scranton, PA

My mother needed assistance two times since installation. Alert1 was there both times to assist.