Alert1

6.7

Alert1 is a leading provider of medical alert systems in the United States. This company provides award-winning service and has received top ratings from consumers and industry leaders. Alert1 has protected and gained the trust of over 200,000 members to date with a 98 percent member renewal rate. Alert1 offers friendly sales representatives, clear pricing and terms, and a 30-Day money-back guarantee.

Read Alert1 reviews below to see what past and current customers have to say about the medical alert system provider.

The Good

• Customer Service
  • Personalized Accessories
  • Automatic Fall Detection
  • No Equipment or Activation Fee
  • Referral Discounts
  • Money-Back Guarantee
  • Warranty

One of Alert1's primary benefits is its customer service, which includes access to a professional monitoring center and CSAA-certified operators that stay on the line with the customer until help arrives. In addition, the company offers a personalized response, which means that operators go beyond calling 911; they also contact a family member or friend from a customized list of contacts in the event of an emergency.

The Alert1 base unit is equipped with two-way communication, so when you have an emergency and press the alert button, the monitoring center responds quickly, between 30–45 seconds. Furthermore, while most other medical alert companies have only one command center, Alert1 has two fully independent, US-based command centers in different states to ensure that service will still be available in the case of power outages. The base station also has a backup battery that lasts up to 24 hours, so you won't have to worry about it not functioning during power outages.

Personalized Accessories

Alert1 offers an array of personalized accessories, including lanyards and wristbands with different color options. Accessories are made of silicone for flexibility and are 100 percent waterproof. Customers don't necessarily need to choose between a lanyard and a wrist button for their medical alert device because Alert1 makes it easy to transform the alert button from a necklace to a wristband and vice versa.

Automatic Fall Detection

Alert1 offers a mobile fall detection pendant, which senses a fall and automatically notifies the command center. The mobile fall detection pendant includes the same benefits as the company's other systems, such as 24/7 monitoring service, a customer service representative that stays on the line until help arrives, and two-way voice in the base unit.

The mobile medical alert is one of the smallest on the market and is designed to be worn comfortably around the neck. This ensures that even in the case of a fall, the pendant will remain attached to you and will be easily accessible. The emergency button has a battery life that lasts for five years, and it includes a low battery notification. Alert1 will send you a new button when the battery life is low, so you don't have to worry about replacing it yourself. Note the fall detection pendant does require a landline.

No Equipment or Activation Fee

Alert1 does not charge for equipment or activation. This can give seniors peace of mind that there aren't many required fees to use Alert1 services. The only cost you will be responsible for is the monthly monitoring fee, which varies based on the plan you select.

However, be aware that if you don't opt for the 10-month plan. Alert1 does require a $19.95 activation fee.

Referral Discounts

For every friend you refer to Alert1, you receive one free month of service. This is a great offer if you have a spouse or friend who also needs a medical alert device.

Money-Back Guarantee

Alert1 provides a money-back guarantee if you cancel its services and return the alert device and other equipment within the first 30 days. Alert1's website does note that "to qualify for a refund, new members must subscribe to a quarterly, annual or semi-annual service plan, use the medical alert device to place a successful test call to the Command Center and return the device in its original condition within 30 days of initial purchase. Any pre-paid shipping, warranty and activation fees are non-refundable."

Warranty

Alert1 has a warranty for any physical damages that occur to the equipment after purchase. This means customers do not have to pay for any replacement costs. Also, if anything manufactural happens with the equipment, Alert1 will always take care of it at no cost to the customer.

The Bad

• Alert Pricing
  • Limited Range

Alert1 Pricing

Alert1 pricing is on the more expensive side when compared to other medical alert companies. Alert1 doesn't offer as many pricing plans as its competitors, and it also has higher monthly fees, especially if you opt for the month-to-month plan. The only way you can receive a discount on pricing is if you choose the 10-month plan where you pay for all 10 months upfront, and this will waive your activation fee and save you upwards of $100 through the span of your contract.

Limited Range

Alert1 has a limited range from the base station for its medical alert systems. You can have a system with a 400-foot range, or you can purchase the more robust plan that includes a range of 600 feet. However, many medical alert companies offer ranges up to 1,500, so if you're looking for a medical alert system with a wider range, Alert1 may not be the right company for you.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

The Bottom Line

Alert1 offers flexible service options and does not require customers to sign into a long-term agreement. Alert1 also has referral programs that give you one free month of service for every friend referred, and no equipment or activation fees are required as long as you opt for the 10-month plan. Personalized accessories and fall detection services are also available.

Because pricing is a bit more expensive when compared to competitors and it has a shorter range than most, you may want to consider looking into other top-rated medical alert companies.

You can also browse Alert1 reviews below to see what real consumers have to say about Alert1's medical alert systems and the company's service quality.

View Best Medical Alert Companies

3.1

Brian K Williamson Newtown, PA

Horrible Horrible People. They make you prepay money for a YEAR and when your parents don't use it they basically tell you - too bad, we are keeping your money. Oh and when your 90 year old parents don't even open the box that's your problem. And when they say "send it back" we will consider a refund, no one mentions you need to open it up and read the information and set it up. You try and do something to help seniors and yet here is another company that prays on them. Please Please don't get tricked into pre-paying for their service or products. We will be contacting the BBB and the State Attorney General's office. If you don't use a service why should anyone be allowed to keep a whole year of your hard earned money. And they prepopulate the review with "amazing" Horrible.

Geraldine Stonington, IL

They are always pleasant and helpful. Sometimes it takes them awhile to answer.

Karen Smith

Very expensive and charge long term clients more. Service is spotty at best.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Karen, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are sorry to hear that your coverage is a little spotty and that our services are expensive. Could you please provide the account information such as the Members name and/or phone number so that we can look into this? Best, Alert1

Feb. 22nd, 2021

Patricia Rambo Williamsport, PA

I have never had to use the service in an emergency. I have noticed that within the last few years when I test the equipment, it sometimes takes a while for someone to answer. This would concern me in an emergency.

Alice Tanzillo Springdale, WA

If you want to have peace of mind that your loved one is being cared for, DO NOT USE ALERT ONE! Their terms and service are completely oblivious to the fact the their primary clients are seniors, who may not have the sophistication or even mobility to keep to their terms. We returned the equipment after cancelling and insured it for $600. It was received two days late and they sent her a collection notice within a week. She had a complete meltdown. When I called them, they complained to ME about how unreasonable she was on the phone. She's 84!!!!

Reply from Alert1

Hello Alice, we appreciate you taking the time to send this our way. We apologize for any confusion however we are unable to cancel an account out until all the leased equipment has been received. We would be willing to look into the account further for you, could you please provide the Member's name and/or phone number? Thank you, Alert1

Feb. 22nd, 2021

Rita Brady Mechanicsburg, PA

They arrived quickly and were very courteous

Patricia Di Leva San Pedro, CA

Dependability is important at my age. The operators are always courteous and helpful.

Bill Moody Seattle, WA

Devices work OK. But try to cancel. After my MIL used this service for more than a decade, she died and I went to cancel. Alert1 wanted the devices returned (after a decade!). They had gotten lost in the shuffle. Alert1 is trying to charge me $600 penalty for two boxes that are so old they are throwaways. Use another service.

Anonymous Davis, WV

Handling of an alert could be more responsive. Retuned item and refund policy needs improvement.

JOY WOLFE Orwigsburg, PA

Always quick to respond - respectful - very helpful - listen to patient requests

Virginia Cedar Rapids, IA

They saved me from lying on the floor for days without help.

Mike Sutton, WV

My mother-in-law had been an Alert1 customer for a few years. Two months after the annual renewal she was moved to a care facility. They would not give her a prorated refund. Charged her for the entire year. Shameful!

Reply from Alert1

Hello Mike, thank you for bringing this to our attention as we have reviewed our refund policies. Could you please provide the Member's name or phone number so that we can look into the account further?

Marjorie Meehan Aliquippa, PA

Always there when I need them whether I'm in the basement, in the backyard or on the porch or eating dinner.

ron pratali Cicero, IL

5 so far 3 service price keeps going up

Richard Malverne, NY

Pricing has gotten too high and they added ancillary warranty fees to my subscription without authorization.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Richard, thank you for your review. We would like to review the billing on the account and as to why a warranty was added without your authorization! Could you please provide the account information such as the Member's name and/or phone number?

Mary Bremerton, WA

Because they have always been ready to help me. I have her use Alert1 since 2012.

Juanita Newbury Park, CA

Because a few years ago Alert 1 saved my life. I fell and cut my head and luckily pressed the button before passing out.t

Natalie Borges Santa Clara, CA

They have not completed my requests. They do not communicate with each other. To top it off, they contacted me to check my equipment after they were notified that my Dad had passed away.

Lilia Brown Alamo, TX

not easy to cancel and we have had it for many years. nobody lives in that house anymore 1 reviews do not seem to be accepted

Reply from Alert1

Hello Lilia, thank you for bringing this to our attention. We strive to make everything easy for our members, including when they need to cancel their services. Could you please provide the Member's name and/phone number so that we can look into this further?

Adele A. Germoles Carmichael, CA

1.sometimes caller does not hear me correctly even though I am in the very same room no more than 3 - 4 ft from device .2. need directions of what to do when the power is off and the speaker repeats.. no power etc. no telephone line etc.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Adele, thank you for sending us your review. Your system has a backup battery in it, so that if the power ever goes out you will still be able to push your button and get help! If you have any questions or concerns about your device please give us a call at 1-800-693-5433 Option 3. Any of our Technical Support Representatives will be happy to help you.

Susan Wolf Garber Warminster, PA

I've been with therm for 12 years. I went to cancel and they want the prepaid amount in full. I only used it for one month. They wanted me to send three full months. I feel I should only send oner month that I used. Rewad your contract carefully. I did call the service rep a thief and she said I was using a curse word. Huih.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Susan, thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We do currently offer pro-rated refunds for any unused months that remain after cancellation. Could you please provide the account information so that we can ensure your account is taken care of?

Anonymous Hawley, PA

1 customer service; not 4 communication with accts

teresa d'alessandro King Of Prussia, PA

when i press button to even just check in no one comes on right away! it is delayed

Marlys Packert Sauk Rapids, MN

Very polite, always ask for relevant information and 3 response time.

Nancy Burkley

They always get back to me, and are not upset when it was because I accidentally pushed my button. I love having the locked box so the EMTs don’t have to knock down my door. I do have to keep in top on their billing. I signed up for the plan where they will not raise my rates if I pay yearly and they tend to “forget’. I have to call to fix the bill. If it was t for this, they would get five stars.

Anonymous Warminster, PA

Hard to hear them, when I have hit my button. But they are very nice when I do.

Helon Neeson Shreveport, LA

I was just charged approximately $130.00 on my credit card when I cancelled service and was told that was non refundable. That doesn’t seem right.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Helon, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We would like to look into why the account was charged after cancellation. Could you please send us the Members name or phone number so that we can look into your account?

Lynn DiSarro Laguna Beach, CA

Buyer beware! I do not recommend this company. They have a terrible cancellation policy, and if you are not aware of the date you subscribed to the service, they will automatically charge you, even if it's one day past the renewal date, and do so without your consent. Know your laws in your state laws about cancellation autopay reoccurring charges. There are many medical alert companies out there, this one I would NOT recommend.

Margarita Salas

Always there for me whenever I need them. Excellent response time also. Very good quality of the equipment and I feel like it’s out of sight and never a bother

Sue Passafiume

Fast reliable response, calls to recheck every month, stays on device until help arrives, price

Janet

Quick phone response to alarm. Even tho it’s never been a real emergency, just our mom accidentally setting it off, we appreciate how fast response time is.

Andrew

they have helped my mom several times, bringing either medical help or me.

Jenni Beltz Minneapolis, MN

We have had quick responses to questions and any help we needed. Everyone has been very nice. Luckily my Boyfriend's mother has not needed to use it yet.

Deborah Hardy Lakeland, GA

My Mom died in July and she had paid for a year in January. They will not refund any of her money. RIP off!

Roberta Mayes Kokomo, IN

Prompt , caring response whenever we need help.

CJ Newton Durant, OK

I wish I had read the reviews read to me I had signed a contract with these people. I am an 88 year old Veterans widow with lung cancer, blindness, and deafness. I would have never dealt with these people. Their contract is not written with care for their customers in mind, it is designed for the company to get all the money possible from unsuspecting elderly customers. My advice: have a lawyer look over the contract before signing or, better yet, DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY! They are rude and unwilling to compromise in any way and do whatever possible to squeeze every dime possible from their victims.

Reply from Alert1

Hello CJ, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We apologize for any confusion but here at Alert1 we do not lock our members into any long term contracts. If you could provide the account information such at the Member's name and/or phone number we will look into this further for you. Thank you, Alert1

Aug. 17th, 2020

Ariel Quintana San Clemente, CA

The bracelet did not work in an emergency..This is a warning to check it everytime you put it on.

Reply from Alert1

Hello Ariel, thank you for taking the time to send us your review. We are sorry to hear that the button is not working for you. We would like to have one of our Technical Specialists reach out to you and assist in troubleshooting or replacing the wristband. Could you please send us the account information such as the members account and/or phone number?

Aug. 7th, 2020

Sarah prouty Houston, TX

Alert 1 has been there for my mother more times than I can count. They always respond quickly and help arrives in minutes. It gives her such peace of mind. All the epitome to works flawlessly. So easy to set up, use, and maintain. I cannot day enough good things about this company.

chris Mentor, OH

They are accurate and always there! Great customer service!

Jan Strongsville, OH

I was called immediately when my mother fell. EMS was already on the route to her house and Alert1 kept both my sister and I informed as she was speaking to emergency personell.

Bonnie Smith Angleton, TX

Have used several times and were very reliable.

Mary Ann Sugarloaf, PA

When my mom would get into a difficult situation she would push her button and they were there. It gave my siblings and myself a piece of mind.

David Shaw Houston, TX

Good response fast call back always available

helen d clayton Creedmoor, NC

well pleased with the services received since the very beginning. Great customer service reps

Teresa Lappin Chattanooga, TN

Prompt and always send help immediately if needed.

Michelle Brazell

Everytime my parents have needed them they were right there! Anytime we had any problem with machine or just a question we were treated with nothing but professional kindness…

Vaughan

Accurate. Responsive to my needs. Very timely when I need them to be.

Martha Tapley

My mother has pushed alert twice recently. I was notified immediately.

Jennifer Baker

Always there at the ready even on false alarm operators always prepared to identify problem and send help immediately if needed

Cathy Banuchi Monroe, NC

Not only was I not offered the best equipment that would work for my mom initially, but during house fire this system was not the best option for it did not help in the safety of my mom, and to cancel the service was the worst experience ever where the assistant Victoria treated me like I had a listening disability which I did not appreciate. !

Reply from Alert1

Hello Cathy, Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. We are very sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience with Alert1 and hope that you were able to receive the instructions needed in order to cancel out the account. If you have not, please let us know and we can send them via email for you. The call has been reviewed and we greatly apologize for how the call was handled and will be providing the necessary re-training to handle future calls. Again we are very sorry for that experience but hope that you are able to have a good rest of your day and stay safe.

Jul. 1st, 2020