Verizon is one of the major forces in the telecommunications industry, serving 6.9 million customers worldwide. It has one of the largest cellular phone service areas in the industry that covers the whole United States and 150 other countries.

Verizon's large, expansive network has helped Verizon to refine business practices to have wonderful customer service for every Verizon customer.

Its new network, FiOS, is currently available in New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Delaware, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Virginia, and Washington, DC.

Verizon FiOS offers customers download speeds up to 50 Mbps and no data caps. Verizon Fios internet service also comes with a two-year contract.

View Verizon FiOS Reviews

FiOS will hopefully be expanded nationwide in the future. FiOS is an abbreviation for fiber-optic internet service. It uses new technology to provide some of the highest speeds in the industry.

Besides high speed internet service, Verizon offers phone, digital voice, and TV service to its customers. As Verizon strives to be at the front of innovation, it continues to bring its customers the best service possible.

View Best Internet Service Companies

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.5
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Plan Pricing
  • Fast Speeds
  • Speed Match

Plan Pricing

Each of Verizon's three plans have a different monthly cost and contract terms.

• Better Browsing Plan: $39.99/month (100 Mbps)
  • Better Streaming Plan: $59.99/month (300 Mbps)
  • Better Everything Plan: $79.99/month (940/880 Mbps)

The monthly price of a Verizon FiOS internet plan may vary depending on if promotional rates are available and may change after a certain amount of time.

For example, the Better Browsing Plan comes with a one-year price guarantee. The Better Streaming Plan comes with a two-year price guarantee. The Better Everything Plan comes with a three-year price guarantee.

Customers may also be able to find bundling deals to save on internet, phone, and TV service if purchasing all services from Verizon.

Fast Speeds

The speeds that are offered through Verizon FiOS are another very large benefit for their customers and are another way they stand out from competitor service providers.

Verizon FiOs offers several different speed package options:

• Better Browsing Plan (100 Mbps/100 Mbps)
  • Better Streaming Plan (300 Mbps/300 Mbps)
  • Better Everything Plan (940 Mbps/880 Mbps)

The bottom tier package (100 Mbps) is near where many other internet service providers top tier packages end. The highest package of 940 Mbps is one of the fastest speeds available for internet users.

The availability of these speeds depends on a customers location. The time of day, number of devices accessing the internet, and other external factors may also affect the actual speeds experienced.

Some competitors offer 1 Gbps, but 940 Mbps is pretty close to 1 Gbps. Any of these Verizon FiOS packages would fit any potential customers' needs, especially for those who require high speed.

Speed Match

Verizon FiOS offers their customers something very unique that helps them stand out among all of this competition. This extra feature is called speed match.

Speed matching means that the upload speeds and download speeds are the same.

The matching of upload and download speeds is unique because most other internet providers offer much lower upload speeds than download speeds.

Often times those upload speeds top out at around 20 Mbps, much slower than the lowest tier in Verizon FiOS service.

The Bad

• Additional Fees
  • Contract Required
  • Limited FiOS Service Areas

Additional Fees

Verizon also charges other fees, including:

• Equipment fee ($12/month)
  • Set-up fee ($99)

While it is fairly common to charge these kinds of fees in the industry, customers should understand the full cost of Verizon FiOS before signing up.

Occasionally, Verizon has a special, promotional offering where set-up charge is waived.

Contract Required

Another drawback to the Verizon FiOS services is that a customer is required to have a contract. Each plan comes with a different contract length.

The customer must pay the price they agree to for the full contract.

If they decide they do not want to continue FiOS high-speed internet service, they will be required to pay an early termination fee to get out of the contract.

Limited FiOS Service Areas

Verizon is a huge portion of the telecommunication industry. Many of their services are offered all across the nation and to other countries around the world. However, Verizon FiOS is not offered in as many areas.

There are only a limited number of areas around the United States where it is offered. This can be a drawback for those customers who use other Verizon services (like the phone network) and would like to use the FiOS service but do not live within those service areas.

Check their website to see if your area has FiOS internet access available.

The Bottom Line

The Verizon FiOS is a new service that is bringing Verizon customers some great options. Verizon FiOS's packages offer customers blazing fast internet speeds that are much faster than some of the competitor's speeds.

These speeds are unique because the download and upload speeds are the same. Most other internet service providers have slower upload speeds than download speeds.

There are many options when it comes to internet service providers. Verizon FiOS is a great provider to consider when choosing an internet service provider.

As with any internet service contract, be sure you understand the terms and conditions. Ask questions about additional fees that Verizon charges, like an installation fee, early termination fee, and equipment rental cost, like a modem and router for setting up wifi internet at home.

Customers who do decide they would like to use Verizon FiOS for their internet service will have to sign a contract, which can be a major drawback. Customers signing up for a contract should keep the termination fee in mind.

Those customers who are already using other Verizon services such as their mobile phone will find Verizon FiOS a great option for their internet connection needs as well.

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.6

J Gabes
August 2nd, 2019 Boston, MA DETAILS

My cable and internet have now gone down for the second time, which requires a tech to come out and fix. I work from home and also live in a dead zone, so when they told us 3 days before a tech come out, I was super annoyed because that means I can't do anything at my house (can't make calls, send messages, emails, nothing). So last night I had someone break into my house at 2 am. I live on the first-floor apartment and this person crawled through my window. I couldn't CALL 911 for help!!! When I called this morning to explain my situation, the person who answered the phone got a manager. I expected since this now brings my safety into play they would do everything they could to send someone out to fix the problem. NOPE! The manager was SO RUDE and when I got upset and told her to keep trying, she HUNG UP ON ME. Now I'm on hold for another 23 minutes so I can cancel my service with them. STICK WITH XFINITY! Their customer service is WAY better. These people are SO rude and could care less. DO NOT SWITCH TO VERIZON!!!!

Lks
July 31st, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

Verizon is horrific. They selectively honor their service appointments. If you’re Caucasian, you’re set. If you’re not, it doesn’t matter if you’re educated and an American citizen, your out of luck. I waited 12 hours for a tech today and when it came to honoring my appointment, the tech went home because he was over worked while another tech didn’t want the overtime and had to go home at 4:43 pm.

Shadi Mirfendereski
July 19th, 2019 The Bronx, NY DETAILS

I am a person on limited income. I am also a Verizon Wireless customer. After receiving high bills from Optimum cable company, I decided to down grade to internet service only and switch to Verizon. When I called, the representative and I worked over the phone and online. He told me that if installed the equipment myself there would be no installation charge. I agreed. He even told me that there is a manual and the support team will walk me through it. Then he told me that I wasn't eligible to install the equipment myself, but he assured me that the installation fee of $99 will be waived. Otherwise, I would have hung up and thought more about switching companies. He said it will be taken off my bill. I opted for autopay to save an addition $10. The installation fee wasn't waived when my bill came out. So, I called, and after being on hold for over an hour, a representative named Sandy told me that she didn't know who sold me the service since he was in a foreign country and no notation was made on my account. In this day and age, no one at Verizon can find the time, date and the representative who made the sale? I received a $30 discount which I have no idea what is for. So, I called again. The recording said the company will call back. No one ever did. So, I called again. I have been on hold for 1:09 minutes. Is this how customer service is handled in an industrial country?! I have basically been swindled by a representative of Verizon, and my only recourse is to stay on hold for hours, or close my account. This is such an example of conglomerates being accountable to no one, certainly not an individual costumer.

Dana
July 1st, 2019 Temecula, CA DETAILS

We had Verizon Fios until they sold the service in our area to Frontier. We were very happy with Verizon Fios and are still disappointed that it is not available to us anymore.

Stanley Vosper
June 27th, 2019 Fairfax, VA DETAILS

Verizon finds a way to raise my bill every month. No explanation, no warning, just bumping my cost every month. It would be nice if Verizon explained during the sales and signup process that they are going to raise my rates every month and at every opportunity, but of course that would require integrity and why ruin a good sales pitch with honesty.

TD
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

Excellent though expensive. Performance and customer assistance is very good

rdalman
June 21st, 2019 DETAILS

The internet has been just ok, slows down alot when there are many users. The modem is old, but to get an new one costs $$$$. They can improve by keeping older equipment up to date without a hefty charge.

Karen
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

They don't drop signal like Hughes net does and are more affordable.

Kenneth
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I have been a customer with this company for 5 years. The service is great, pricing is very competitive and my internet speeds are very good. My connection is very reliable.

Terry
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

I can't wait to change providers - prices are very high.

David
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

good service - quick response to problems

Alisse
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Very few interruptions, reliable service

Michael Perez
May 30th, 2019 Glenshaw, PA DETAILS

I grew up with Comcast which was good but pricey. FiOS absolutely crushes Xfinity in terms of cost and speed. This would be 5 stars but the tech didn't have the time to add any hardwired connections because he was overbooked for the day. So now we have lovely GB internet in our basement... when all of our rooms are on the second floor.

Will
May 29th, 2019 DETAILS

Horrible service, terrible price, unfriendly policies

Krisna
May 22nd, 2019 Clarksburg, MD DETAILS

We have been a long-term customer of FiOs, and really like the service, as well as the technical support branch. Customer service is pretty terrible, but maybe you can avoid the pitfalls we had with these lessons learned: #1 Buy your own router - we got a good one for $60 on Amazon, after years of renting theirs for $12/month. They automatically add that rental fee in if you don't tell them. #2. Never believe the chat people if they tell you they will send you a confirmation email in 3-4 days, or if they tell you they are going to waive a fee (which they may offer to, but then don't). Get it in writing right then, and copy the entire chat somewhere so that you have their promises in writing. It took 3 tries to get what was promised - not sure if that is typical. #3 Don't even try to call - you may get hung up on while on hold, as we did. #4Call to ask for a better price when the year intro price is up - it is hard to remember.

Arlene Crosson
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Fantastic company and helpful customer service. No improvement necessary

Joanne L. Hirsch
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

More to dislike than like. Limited data. Connection issues with Cantenna for WiFi. Customer support is polite and professional -- some technicians more competent than others.

Sunni
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

5 yrs of excellent service and no service issues...competitive price and excellent programming and options

W. Adamson
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

This company has provided consistent dependable internet service. That is the opposite of what I received when I was with Comcast. I like everything about the company except their prices. I think they are too high.

Smriti Khetarpal
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Good uninterrupted service - fast and reliable

john tabolinsky
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Everything was very easy,the response was also quick.

Angel Cordero
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

Innovation, but needs to improve customer service

Christy GOlen
May 20th, 2019 DETAILS

not good. We get terrible service. It is slow and its a problem streaming shows and getting on the web.

Joe Lally
May 16th, 2019 Toms River, NJ DETAILS

The ONLY main difference between FiOS & cable is with cable They have what's called nodes. They might have say 20 or 50 houses on a node. Meaning they all share the same bandwidth. If a lot of people are online at the same time you lose speed(bandwidth) slowing down your connection. (Especially around 4pm to maybe 8pm) Also if you live closer to the hub then your speeds are the fastest with no latency.With FiOS your on by yourself not sharing bandwidth with the neighborhood so your speeds are constant. But FiOS billing is the WORST.HORRIBLE. Everyone the do something they mess up the bill.EVERYTIME.Have to call & get aggravated due to these idiots cant do a transaction without scewing up your bill. They love increasing it. Charging you for stuff that your getting free & discounts on. I DO NOT RECOMMEND VERIZON AT ALL.My son has infinity and his speeds blow my FiOS away.. Verizon is all mouth and no action..Stay away they SUCK

Sue
May 14th, 2019 Ontonagon, MI DETAILS

I think they are expensive and their plans are inflexible.

Nancy
May 14th, 2019 Schwenksville, PA DETAILS

I haven't had any problems with Verizon. Customer service has been excellent. The bill is the bill, expensive, but no changing fees.

Bethdb
April 25th, 2019 Ashland, MA DETAILS

Customer service is shoddy...cannot find records of what was agreed to even tho the material was available on two other occasions to reps. Now being overcharged by 30.00 monthly. Verizon has zero respect for long term customers. Stay far away if at all possible. Cancellation would not cost me 200.00...I suspect I can cover that with a new provider.

Chris chris
March 26th, 2019 DETAILS

So far so good. But sometimes the internet speed is slow.

Esther Schiano
March 26th, 2019 DETAILS

better home service than other companies, they could not put you through so many loopholes when you have a complaint

James Sturgeon
March 18th, 2019 DETAILS

I'd like to talk to a real person, instead of having to figure out what subject my question concerns. I'd rather talk to a real person about my problem. A lot quicker.

Judith A Farmer
March 18th, 2019 DETAILS

Speed diminishes when I reach a certain point.

Thomas
March 13th, 2019 DETAILS

Great Crisp and Clear. If a problem exist they are out on time and schedule.

Tina R.Brown
February 19th, 2019 Orange, NJ DETAILS

Whatever you do…in your wildest dreams, do not subscribe to Verizon FiOS, unless you enjoy subscribing to frustration, loss of service, aggravation and shoddy customer service. I began services on Jan.08th of 2019 and have had to call in for tech support from the very first day up until Feb.12th; and I am not certain that will be my last call. On the day of installation, I came home to the TV in the living room and my son’s bedroom losing signals and blacking out. I called and they would shoot a signal that lasted for a hot minute, on the second call I got them to come out the next day to install new HDMI cords. They came back on and lasted for about 4-5 days, and then I had sporadic loss of signals in both bedrooms. I would call and they would continuously reset the boxes, till one day I worked from home and the TV went out. So I called about the TV and they reset the box and literally 3 mins after I hung up the phone my internet went out. All of this after I had sat on the phone for about 40 minutes for the first call. I called back and got a tech that again reset the boxes, said he could see I was just on a support ticket, but he could not re-establish service to the TV. Since I needed the internet for work I just shut the TV’s off and made an appointment for a tech to come out the next day. The call was made on Feb.04th, and tech support was supposed to come out the next day between 5-7 pm. Needless to say that the technician never showed, supposed to have gotten backed up, and I receive a call from customer service to reschedule for the next day…same time. So the tech came the next day and examined the equipment and came to the conclusion that the TV’s in the bedroom needed to be put on Wi-Fi. That was done and we could watch TV in the bedrooms again. Six days later on the 12th while working from home again…the entire system went out...was told the main terminal box was dead. So out of complete service, on the 12th from 10:30 am until 5:00 pm on the 13th. After contacting customer service for a well deserved compensation for loss of services, they issued me a credit of $5.83 for 5 plus days of sporadic service. So disappointed that an organization of such stature would violate and pilfer the wallets of their customers.

Noriko Johnson
February 12th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Internet speed was great and they offered a great deal when we signed up. After scheduled power outage our service didn't back up for a week which was hard for kids doing homework. Customer service wasn't helpful but when we finally got a technician was great.

Friend
February 6th, 2019 The Colony, TX DETAILS

The worst experience. They over charge you. Their customer service is awful. It took them a month and hours if phone calls just transfer service. Their customer service reps hang up on you. Nothing good about this company. HIDDEN CHARGES!!!

S.Faith
February 6th, 2019 Cherry Hill, NJ DETAILS

Very good customer service. Deliver on time what they pricing and pricing remains tge same.

George
February 6th, 2019 DETAILS

They are a bait and switch company, they made a quote and the confirmation was over $30 higher

Durwin F Johnson
February 6th, 2019 East Orange, NJ DETAILS

Good. Would be easier if there was automatic access to main menu

Evelyn Chidester
February 1st, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS

I have been very pleased with Verizon and the service we have been given. There have been several times when I needed assistance with up-grading or adding to my plan and every time I was well taken care of. Sales people have been very helpful by offer options that are helpful to my situation.

Bethany
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

They were great at first. But then slowed down so much we can't practically use it. We rely on out hot spots. It is terrible

Neva
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

The service is reliable and fast enough. My only complaint is that there is a limit on the amount of data and there are some things (like watching videos) that I can't do because of the limit.

Lauren
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

Not great, awful customer service with poor hours of availability

Kaytmay
January 30th, 2019 DETAILS

WiFi needs resest more than it should have to be. I do not like the rebuffering when streaming shows in the evenings. I feel I pay for 1 gig I should ALWAYS have 1 gig day or night.

Hailey Nilson
January 15th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Verizon connection is fantastic. Customer service is great. I had an issue with my account and they fixed it immediately!

Sarah
January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have been using version for almost 7 years now and I am still very impressed by how great my service is. On the plus side I know if I ever have any troubles Verizon has always been great and efficient when it comes to fixing my internet.

Katie Marz
January 9th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

My family has always used Verizon for our service because it has never done us wrong. The prices are good for the quality of internet we are getting. I'd rather have the best quality internet and pay just a few dollars more.

Nishita
December 11th, 2018 McLean, VA DETAILS

Pricey, but doesn't fail you. We had a room built in the basement in the corner of the house, and the router was on the 3rd floor. The wifi strength was great not at weak all... we had assumed would be the case.

Mildred Carter
December 11th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

I used to have DSL. I always had problems with my internet. When we switched to FiOS it was a seamless transition and I honestly haven't looked back. The service has very rarely gone down, and when it has, they've been extremely quick to fix it.

Matthew Carbaugh
December 11th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

Had fios internet bundled with phone service. Internet browsing, upload and download speeds were all super fast even when 4-5 family members were using internet at the same time. Switched to AT&T bundled cell and internet provider ultimately due to price.

Darius Williams
December 11th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

hands down best and fastest internet you can find if you can have it in your area