Google Fiber is an internet service provider that is seeking to disrupt the industry with its use of fiber-optic cables, which provide quick speeds and high-quality streaming.

Google Fiber provides various internet speeds up to 1 Gbps. It requires a one-year contract and has reasonable prices starting at $50 per month.

View Google Fiber Reviews

While Google Fiber boasts internet speeds that are 100 times faster than most internet providers, the services are currently only available in seven cities in the United States: Provo, Utah; Salt Lake City, Utah; Austin, Texas; Kansas City, Missouri; Nashville, Tennessee; Atlanta, Georgia; and Charlotte, North Carolina.

However, Google plans to expand Google Fiber's services to an additional 16 U.S. cities over the next few years.

#1 Comcast Xfinity Internet chevron_right
3.3
#2 CenturyLink chevron_right
2.5
#3 Cox Internet chevron_right
3.4

The Good

• Incredibly Fast Speeds
  • Free Standard Internet
  • Several Upgrade Options

Incredibly Fast Speeds

Google Fiber provides internet, television, and phone services through a network of fiber-optic cables. A system which, according to Google, delivers internet speeds that are more than 100 times faster than what most internet service providers can offer.

Before a new city can be considered eligible for Google Fiber's services, company representatives will meet with city officials to review the city's infrastructure, roads, and utility paths. If the city is a good fit, Google Fiber's team will create a network design, often involving thousands of miles of fiber optic cables, that is compatible with the city's existing utility map.

Free Standard Internet

After the network has been installed, Google Fiber reaches out to small, concentrated communities (or "Fiberhoods") in the city to promote its services. Each new Fiber customer is offered a free standard internet plan, which includes a 5 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed.

While speeds on the free plan are not necessarily faster than those offered by other internet service providers, they are free, which is almost unheard of in this industry. Upon signing up, Fiber customers are guaranteed at least seven years of free internet at one address.

Several Upgrade Options

In addition to Google Fiber's free plan, customers have the option to pay for upgraded plans for both residences and small businesses.

Residential plans include Fiber 100 ($50 per month), and Fiber 1000 ($70 per month). Small business packages include Fiber Business 100 ($70 per month), Fiber Business 250 ($100 per month), and Fiber Business 1000 ($250 per month).

Customers can also add phone services for an additional $10 per month, as well as Nest products—thermostats, smoke and CO alarms, and security cameras—for an additional charge (only available on paid plans).

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Lengthy Installation Time
  • Slow Speeds With Free Service

Limited Availability

Gaining access to Google Fiber's services in your area can prove challenging. The majority of U.S. cities, particularly rural areas, are not eligible for Fiber's services (one way to determine if your home is eligible is to enter your address into "Check Eligibility" section of Google Fiber's website). Although Google is working hard to make high-speed broadband internet accessible to everyone, many areas in the country simply lack the infrastructure to do so.

Lengthy Installation Time

Installing the fiber-optic network into your city is a lengthy process. As mentioned before, this process involves thousands of miles of fiber-optic cable, and fully optimizing a city for Google Fiber can take several months, if not years. Once the network has been installed, residents will be obligated to switch to Google Fiber's services, regardless of prior arrangements with a previous internet service provider.

Slow Speeds with Free Service

It's also important to note that while Google Fiber is one of the only service providers to offer a basic internet package for free, the internet speeds accompanying the free package are no better than the standard internet speed of any other provider. The limited bandwidth of the free plan can be easily overwhelmed by multiple devices such as computers, smartphones, and tablets.

If Google Fiber is available in your area and you opt for the free plan, don't expect your internet to be significantly faster than other providers.

The Bottom Line

Google Fiber provides impressive packages at competitive prices, and customers who select Google Fiber's free plan will certainly not be put at a disadvantage. But while Google Fiber is providing internet speeds up to 100 times faster than the competition, its expansion and installation processes are considerably slower than the competition.

The company currently only services seven U.S. cities, with no guarantee that it can expand to more rural areas (at least not in the immediate future). Installing the fiber optic network in eligible cities also requires extensive planning and time-consuming execution. So even if your city has announced its plans to install the network, you may not get to enjoy Google Fiber's services until several months after the fact.

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.1

Jillian
September 10th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Ok so I’ll preface this with saying overall, google fibers speed has been fine. But I’ll tell a story that will paint a picture on their customer service. Back in May, a garage burned down in the alley around our block. The garage happened to be right next to the pole holing our cables above ground. We lost service. Act of god, no worries, just hoping no one was injured in the fire. They come a few days later and check our box (even though we told them about the fire), they say “well we have to rule out your network box first, it’s protocol”. Cool, whatever. They come, realize it’s the fire (weird) and day they’ll send out a crew to fix the cables outside within 72 hours. So by then we’re out of internet for over a week. They fix it, it goes out again days later. Because instead of hanging the wire above ground, they lay them on the ground across the alley, and guess what! A bobcat comes in to demolish what’s left of the burned garage. Ok, again not necessarily google fibers bad, but it would have been cool if they’d not laid fiber optic cables on a street that gets traffic. We wait again. Protocol again. Fixed. Out again about 2 weeks later. A large vehicle ran them over again to start rebuilding the burned structure. At this point we’re begging google fiber to hang the wires so this stops happening. 7 outages later we’re in September, out of Internet again and now they’re telling us WE should have been contacting the city or kcpl to have the pole replaced so that they can hang the wires! Ok cool, we’re calling the city, putting in requests with kcpl for a replacement pole. Fiber says they’ll go ahead and fix it again within a day and then come back and hang them when the pole is replaced. 2 more days go by, nothing fixed, we call, they say “oh no, we’ll come fix it AFTER the pole is replaced” which could be weeks for all we know! My partner is a real estate photographer so he needs to able to upload photos as soon as he’s home from work, and if he can’t, he has to go to a friends, or somewhere else that has fast internet to upload. Which means more driving (money) for him, plus less time for us to spend any time together after working all day. I’m mostly ranting because I have to vent about how absurd all of this is. I guess just be aware if you have some wild, random problem pop up like this, don’t expect it fixed for an entire season or more.

Cin W
August 13th, 2019 Kansas City, KS DETAILS

Google Figer is a shady company. I’ll explain why... I had service, then one day it went down, they came out to replace the router and all, said it was beyond my house and had to schedule a field tech to come out, then nothing wrong and scheduled a construction crew out. Several days lying to me telling me they have a 24 hour turn around and I’d have service today. Twice in all this, I was issued a $25 credit, twice, for my trouble and inconvenience. Then they couldn’t give me answers on when I’d actually get it fixed saying they have no way to communicate with these other crews. So I schedule a different company to set up internet service. This new company could give me an answer, that I’d have service the next day from 1-3pm, lol. I called Google Fiber and cancelled my service a week before my bill was due. My account was prepaid where I always paid for the month in advance. While cancelling, the girl told me I’d still be billed that next week on the 13th anyway then refunded a month later. I said I’d just remove my card from the account and she laughed, I saw why later, they don’t allow you to remove your card without adding another one. So I locked my credit card to avoid this unnecessary payment. I am not your bank Google Fiber, borrow money elsewhere, lol! With that seeming shady, I videoed my returning the equipment, otherwise they’d try to charge me $200 if I hadn’t, the gal in the Kansas City location was very upset and even that I not record and delete my recording. She told me I’d get a refund of $86.67 that next month. Then I get an email saying I’d get a $36.67 refund, my prorated amount. Several calls and lies later, this manager tells me today that the $50 credit was only if I stayed a customer and was deleted. I said I was never told it was if I stayed a customer, I was told it was for my trouble and inconvenience. He even said I’d need to turn to reviews, social media and the courts if I want my $50 refund, so I guess Google Fiber is my new favorite hobby. I guess they’re so big for their britches they don’t realize that people do actually read reviews and steer clear from shady practices. I know I do. Just ridiculous Google Fiber, lol. After reading other reviews, I see my entire metro area has had service issues for 3 months now and others have been billed for services not received as well.

Kaya
August 13th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

We got GF about a week ago and already having problems. The connection and upload speed is the same as with Spectrum, nothing to brag about. For 3 days out of this week internet was patchy, and today it's mostly been down. 7 hours with no internet during a busy Monday, and now it's out again after 2 hours of working. Seriously considering going back to Spectrum. It was cheaper and more reliable.

Krystal Taylor
August 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Absolutely loved their service. Their product was top notch. Occasionally my roommates might complain about the speed, but we were using the FREE version, and I never had any issues with it. The customer service was great, they were very helpful whenever we called.

Troy Coyle
June 26th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

I thought Google Fiber 1000 would be instant response but it’s not. It’s gone down a couple of time that requires a reset of the modem. The TV that goes with it freezes and garbled. We are going back to Xfinity. Way better and more reliable.

Taylor Walker
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google Fiber is really good. It's easily the fastest internet I've ever experienced. I also love that they have various plans and even have a free plan available in Provo.

Mike Liddle
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

The service is free, so I can’t complain too much, but my 1 mbps service is usually running at .5mbps down and .3 up. The service options are too far apart. The next option is 50 mbps which is too expensive and not worth it for most users.

Dane robertson
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I love how affordable google fiber is. My wife and I love our WiFi because it’s fast and doesn’t break the wallet.

Benjamin Walbrecht
June 11th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google fiber is a great option if it’s supplied in your area. I have the free package, but they allow you to upgrade to the 100 or the 1000 package for days at a time and prorate it. If I need fast internet for a day, I just pay the 2 bucks for that day and then cancel the next day.

B Winward
June 11th, 2019 Orem, UT

Seems to run fast and is easy to connect with and compatible with basically any device

Kyle Gardner
June 10th, 2019 Provo, UT

At my apartment complex we have the free basic Google fiber internet. For being free, it is excellent internet that is usually suffieny for watching youtube, surfing the web, or doing any homework online. If you are a big streamer or gamer then it probably won't be suffient and you'll need to get the upgraded internet services. My roommates often feel frustrated by the internet speeds when they are gaming, but over all it is great free internet.

Josh Sykes
June 10th, 2019 Meridian, ID

I appreciate the culture Google has. The fiber is a great idea for some cities, and works well enough for my needs.

Brenda
June 10th, 2019 Spanish Fork, UT

I had the free version for a while and I was always having trouble with the box that they install in your house. It was constantly disconnecting and we would follow the instructions the customer service person would give us but ultimately they would just have to send someone out. This happened multiple times and so we no longer use them anymore.

Marissa
June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS

I had google fiber in Provo for several years and it was the best! I NEVER had any problems with the internet bugging out, and the speed was incredibly fast. It was the absolute best. I wish the town where I currently live had Google FIber!

Grant Lofgreen
June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I've enjoyed free service the past three years while at school. This has been a huge plus and I've been very happy with the service. The pro-rated data speed increases are also very nice!

Amy Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT

Google fiber is free in my city which is awesome! The only drawback is that it can be really slow at times.

Michelle Hudon
June 3rd, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

I started with google the moment they came to kansas city. [email protected] was horrible and dish network was ridiculous in price and service. They have been so wonderful and kind. My older mother has wrecked 3 remotes, no problem for google and a quick fix. We had a house fire and for a year I couldn't get google at my temporary home. They were so above and beyond. I was charged minimum fee, so that when my home was rebuilt, they would not charge anything to redo my entire home with wiring and boxes. The internet has allowed me make a smart home, so all is at ease. I have great tv with them and some benefits of just being happy with no interruption in service. Only once was there ever a big issue and that was because of the royals. Google did everything to apologize and impress me even more. I tell everyone..why leave I have never had service like this! Every time I go to walmart and dish or spectrum comes to tell me try us I make it clear, I dont care what you save me. I wont leave google.

Adam Hellewell
June 3rd, 2019 Orem, UT

We signed up for a free plan when Google Fiber came to our area. The speed wasn't amazing, but hey, it was free.

Claudia Soto
May 31st, 2019 Park City, UT DETAILS

When living in a city that offered Google Fiber, I was very happy with the service! Fiber offers high speed internet and great customer service. I hope Google Fiber can expand to other cities so more customers can use it.

Emily Walker
May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google Fiber has been super easy to work with. They have always helped us when needed and been very friendly throughout the entire process. The set up is very easy as well.

Jacob Shaner
May 28th, 2019

Very good internet connection and great customer service. The free package is a good speed, and the next up is quite the jump from free. I’m surprised they don’t have a $10 a month option. The next package up would definitely be worth the price if I needed that much speed.

Anne Sainsbury
May 28th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS

At my old apartment we were benefactors of google fiber. The internet wasn't the fastest, but it was free so I was happy! Great customer service when I called to get a new black box installed!

Paul Kostansek
May 2nd, 2019 Cary, NC

Google came to my house and installed their box after I was an ATT fiber and U-verse customer. They pulled my ATT wiring from my ground, sliced the connections, and I am now 48 hours with no internet or television.

KSCOMOGA
April 8th, 2019 Overland Park, KS DETAILS

The short story is Google Fiber is a fresh start up TV and internet service. They should have worked the bugs out before they sold their services. I did not receive full service for over five months which is documented in my file. I couldn't record, I couldn't even change channels most of the time, and my one G internet was so slow I had to watch pictures download like dialup. The Google Fiber internet speed test stated my speed was 24 mbps not the 1000 I am paying for. It took Google over five months and several equipment exchanges to find a simple mistake that is now supposed to be in the support team’s manual. Google still charged me $1200 for the time their service didn't work and they refuse to credit my account more than $25. No body would pay for electric service if they didn't have it why should I pay for Google when I didn't have it. I thought having Google internet and TV was a good idea because of Google's tech leadership. I have had several large problems with Google including ruining two of my computer's hard drives which has now been proven. Google Fiber is at the bottom of the list when it comes to internet and TV service. Hook up cable and save a lot of hassle. Nothing is ever their problem it is always somebody else’s. I would like to add that the recordings that were saved before Google started having their problems were for the most part unable to play and when they did play the recordings had many problems such as not lasting the full length of the show, recording having bad video or volume or having pixels instead of video and more. More often than not the entire Google screen would freeze not allowing me to do anything at all. This incompetence cost me $208.31 per month. Google would never call me back after they stated they would, I always called them back. It was as if they didn’t want my business anymore since they had no idea how to repair the problems. On Googles behest I tried to record five programs and I gave them the program and time, they never called me back about the results. I went out and bought an antenna so that I was able to receive some entertainment and news. I thought everything was repaired in March but it started again on April 3, 2019. According to Google it's my fault again; all of my computers are not capable of getting the high speed internet even though they did for the last two years. It's my fault, it's my computers fault not Google's fault. Google has no culpability. Again Google Fiber cares about no one other than Google Fiber. Don’t do business with them.

Davis
April 4th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My experience with Google Fiber has been a train wreck start to finish and left me with nothing but anger and resentment (and damaged property). Firstly, upon installation the technician drilled an extra hole in my wall and did absolutely nothing with it just left. I brought this up at the storefront location when picking up my box and was supposed to receive credit for the damage and never received anything. I forgot about it for a while due to being behind an entertainment stand until I was moving out of the property. I started doing some speed tests and had only been getting 10-12 MBPS. Unfortunately, at this time I was getting close to leaving that property so canceling the service was more important than spending hours trying to trouble shoot and get it fixed. I terminated my service over the phone 3/5 and asked for a partial refund for the poor service speed. I was informed that I could not get a refund because I had not “complained enough.” The agent I canceled with informed me that the billing cycle was the 13th to the 13th so he would put my cancelation date down for the 13th and I would not receive any additional charges after the 3/13 bill date. I then received an email stating my account would be charged $70 on 4/13 for the coming month of charges. I quickly called to get this resolved and spent over an hour on the phone with the technician to get this resolved and ensure I wasn’t charged for services I had not been using and would continue not to use. They would not cancel the entire month only after the date I called because the previous rep stated 4/13 which still doesn’t explain why they would charge me an entire month in advance. I asked to listen to the call as well due to the rep stating on the previous call that I would not be charged any further and they would not let me; I then asked for a copy of the call so I could review and again was denied. I asked the rep why they can review a call and use that to bill me without letting me review it as well or listen in and he stated, “that is where we are at.” (Super helpful) So I now have a hole in my wall, have been over charged for services that have been received, and are being charged for services I am not using when they were communicated to me previously that I would not be. I personally will never use Google Fiber again and will make sure that all the tenets at my rental properties know of my horrible experience as well. Good job Google on your poor customer service losing you multiple customers in one fell swoop.

Abby Driggs
March 26th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Faster wifi than any other cable company I have ever used and it is free. How is that possible? I don't know. But I have loved it.

Stephanie
March 19th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Too expensive they do not offer specials at all. My cable is in and out, slow or freezes sometimes. My Internet is okay. Not happy with Google Fiber.

audrey
February 14th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

My internet went down on Saturday, called and they said the soonest appointment they had was Wednesday.. my 8am appointment arrives on Wednesday and no one shows up, I call at 9am to see whats going on and they told me someone knocked on the door but didn't get an answer. I know this is untrue because I was sitting right by the door from 7:30am-9am. Now they rescheduled me another far away appointment, I work from home and have been without internet all week. awful. When i had at&t wifi they showed up hours later when I had a problem.

Brian Scott
February 13th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Living in Provo we were one of the first people in the country to get Google Fiber and it's awesome! The internet speed is fast and consistent and much better than our previous internet provider.

Katie Young
February 12th, 2019 Charlottesville, VA DETAILS

Google Fiber is the best internet provider I've ever had, and I wish they were in my current city! It was easy to set up, always fast speeds, great customer service, and totally hassle free.

Jada Scott
February 12th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google Fiber provides great internet service at an affordable cost. Their service is consistent and dependable.

Brody B
February 7th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

About as fast as you can get. The price is comparable to lesser services and the speed blows others away. If you have Google Fiber available in your area it should be a no brainer. Customer service and installation are also great! 5 Stars!

Miguel Figueroa
February 6th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

I don’t even know where to start. Great prices. Great customer service. Easiest “contract” I’ve ever even heard of, if I want faster speed for a couple days, I turn it up for those days and then get back to normal whenever. Moving around a lot as a teenager we went through a lot of different internet providers, all had their own pros and cons. Fiber has been all the pros with none of the cons. Even on their slowest basic plan, my wife has been able to stream Netflix while I was gaming online. Seriously the most stable connection I’ve ever had. Once we started paying for their mid tier plan, it was game over. Same incredibly reliable connection with consistent top end speeds. I’m paying for 100mbps and getting that all day everyday. No “up to 40mbps” but usually 10 with some spikes here and there. Not since we got google fiber.

Ray Marshall
February 6th, 2019 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Rates OK for high speed connection. Have never had the rate I pay for but they say it is because my computer is too old.

Milton Fletcher
February 4th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS

I love Google Fiber. Wish it wS offered in more locations. Quality of service and speed is excellent.

SPENCER C HARVEY
February 1st, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Super fast and awesome and inexpensive and easy to set up. Great customer service, great set up and very reliable and upgradable

Quinn Johnson
January 30th, 2019 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

Fantastic customer service and great internet speeds. If only they had more locations.

Kymberlee Yack
January 18th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Honestly this is the fastest internet I've ever had at the cheapest price. The technician came in and was professional. He also cleaned up my cable that was hanging out of window that Spectrum wouldn't fix. I would recommend Google Fiber over anyone and I've had them all.

Madalyn Johnson
January 17th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google Fiber is a good internet provider. Every apartment complex i have lived in has used Google Fiber and I have loved the speed and reliability of Google Fiber!

Chloe Magleby
January 16th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Google fiber offers some great deals but does not have very good internet services. I have had google fiber for 2 years and I am constantly battling with my internet being so slow.

McKenzie Christiansen
January 9th, 2019 Provo, UT

Google fiber is a very reliable internet service. Always make the internet load fast and never looses connection.

Brinley Knowles
December 19th, 2018 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

Google Fiber is very affordable and is of great quality. Their customer service is wonderful and will help you with anything that you have questions on or about.

Dasha Directo
December 18th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I tried Google Fiber for the first time this year. The internet connection was pretty good. I live in an apartment complex, so sometimes the internet can be dodgy, but for the mass amount of people I lived with, Google Fiber was pretty good at holding up.

Darius Williams
December 17th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

Dont have this in my area but i went to visit Atlanta and was able to use it. Very fast!!

Grant
December 6th, 2018 American Fork, UT

The fastest internet speed and service I have ever used. Google Fiber lives up to all of the hype.

Shawn
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Love Google fiber! We have this in our company in Provo Utah. It works great with lots of speed. Wish it was Available in Highland Utah. For home use.

Rischelle Mikkelson
November 12th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

We have Google Fiber for our business and absolutely love it. Having reliable internet is essential for the success of our business as we are heavy technology users. We also use VOIP and it would be detrimental to our business if our phones went down. Since moving to Google Fiber, we have only had one time with interrupted service and it last about 5 minutes.

Mitch Krull
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Awesome, fast and cheap. doesn't get much better than that! Recommend for sure!

David Mallory Hays
October 29th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Everyone else is garbage in comparison to Google fiber, I literally don't want to leave my city because I'd have to go without it

Shawk Parson
October 15th, 2018 Tustin, CA DETAILS

can't say Google Fiber is not a good service, especially now that I've been using it for a few months only … (and experiencing some brown-outs already btw!) but compared to Cox and Spectrum that I have used in the past, there are at least two things missing from Google Fiber that the other two do offer: 1. Cox and Spectrum also give 'free' McAfee anti malware and anti virus included in the same amount of monthly fee 2. at least Cox also includes a dual speed modem/router with 2.4GHz as well as 5.x GHz speeds available on its wireless, again, for the same amount of monthly pay overall, I don't find Google Fiber a 'superior' service really and if it starts going the way some others have already, ie, slowing down and blackouts and things like that, i'd rather go back to one service I know that gave me the least trouble in the past! (sorry I won't name it here `cause I don't want to spoil them in case they read this!) ;-)