Google Fiber Logo

5.5

LAST UPDATED: January 14th, 2022

Google Fiber is an internet service provider that is seeking to disrupt the industry with its use of fiber-optic cables that provide quick speeds and high-quality streaming.

Google Fiber provides various internet speeds up to 1 Gbps. It requires a one-year contract and has reasonable prices starting at $50 per month.

View Google Fiber Reviews

While Google Fiber internet speeds are 100 times faster than most internet providers, its full services are currently only available in eleven cities and regions in the United States. In 2016, Google paused all plans for expansion of Google Fiber, but customers can still access Fiber internet if it's already available where they live.

The Good

• Incredibly Fast Speeds
  • Free Standard Internet
  • Several Upgrade Options

Incredibly Fast Speeds

Google Fiber provides internet, television, and phone services through a network of fiber-optic cables. A system which, according to Google, delivers internet speeds that are more than 100 times faster than what most internet service providers can offer.

Creating a fiber-optic network was a time-consuming process. Before a new city could be considered eligible for Google Fiber internet services, company representatives would meet with city officials to review the city's infrastructure, roads, and utility paths. If the city was a good fit, Google Fiber's team would create a network design, often involving thousands of miles of fiber-optic cables, that was compatible with the city's existing utility map.

Free Standard Internet

After the network is installed, Google Fiber reaches out to small, concentrated communities (or "Fiberhoods") in the city to promote its services. Each new Fiber customer is offered a free standard internet plan, which includes 5 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed.

While speeds on the free plan are not faster than those offered by other internet service providers, they are free, which is almost unheard of in this industry. After signing up, Fiber customers are guaranteed at least seven years of free internet at one address.

Several Upgrade Options

In addition to Google Fiber's free plan, customers have the option to pay for upgraded plans, including gigabit internet, for both residences and small businesses.

Here are the residential plans:

• Fiber 100 — $50 per month
  • Fiber 1,000 — $70 per month
  • Fiber 1,000 + Local TV — $95 per month, 15+ channels
  • Fiber 100 + TV — $140 per month, 150+ channels
  • Fiber 1,000 + TV — $160 per month, 150+ channels

The small business packages are even more straightforward:

• Fiber Business 100 — $70 per month
  • Fiber Business 250 — $100 per month
  • Fiber Business 1,000 — $250 per month

Customers can sometimes add phone services for an additional $10 per month, as well as Nest products — thermostats, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and security cameras — for an additional charge (only available on paid plans).

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Lengthy Installation Time
  • Slow Speeds with Free Service

Limited Availability

Gaining access to Google Fiber internet service in your area can prove challenging. According to Google Fiber's site, here are the eleven cities and regions that have access to Fiber's full high speed internet service:

• Atlanta, Georgia
  • Provo, Utah
  • San Antonio, Texas
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • The Triangle, North Carolina

And here are the seven cities where only apartment and condo service is available:

• Chicago, Illinois
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Miami, Florida
  • Oakland, California
  • San Diego, California
  • San Francisco, California
  • Seattle, Washington

One way to determine if you're eligible is to enter your address into the Check Eligibility section of Google Fiber's website. Unfortunately, customers in rural areas and less populated regions will likely never have access to Google Fiber service.

Lengthy Installation Time

Many customers complained that high speed internet installation was a lengthy process. As mentioned before, this process involved installing a fiber network comprised of thousands of miles of fiber optic cable, and fully optimizing a city for Google Fiber took several months, if not years.

Since Google Fiber is already fixed and installed in its select locations, and cancelled in remaining locations, negative reviews regarding infrastructural installation time probably won't apply to you.

Slow Speeds with Free Service

It's also important to note that, while Google Fiber is one of the only service providers to offer a basic internet package for free. Per a third-party speed test, the internet speeds accompanying the free package and network box are no better than the standard internet speed of any other provider. The limited bandwidth of the free plan can be easily overwhelmed by multiple devices such as computers, smartphones, and tablets.

Some negative reviews describe the free plan and complain of slow and unreliable upload and download speed; keep in mind that these experiences may be the fault of the reviewer for selecting a free plan if they had an option to purchase a package.

If this internet provider is available in your area and you opt for the free plan, don't expect amazingly fast internet.

The Bottom Line

As an ISP, Google Fiber provides impressive packages at competitive prices, and the potential for a free plan is a generous perk. But while Google Fiber is providing internet speeds up to 100 times faster than the competition, its expansion and installation processes were considerably slower than the competition.

In general, Google Fiber strives for quality customer service and generous policies. You might be impressed by what Fiber has to offer, but you might be deterred by Fiber's announcement to pause expansion — could this mean future cancellation in existing cities?

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.0

Audrey Macfarlane Dallas, TX

I originally got google fiber put in my home for free when they first started. I didn't really care at the time since it was free lol, but since then I started really liking the service and I've upgrade to their fasted speed. I mean there's defiantly a reason why google is such a big company and I like all their products so super happy here.

Jeff W Charlotte, NC

It's 1GB download! Not really... So at the wire, plugged directly in via ethernet, I get 930mbs, but via wi-fi with the lame mesh routers provided, I get about 300mbs download while standing in front of the main node. Move away just 10 feet and that drops in half. Move another 10 and get 30mbs. Went and sat right next to the secondary node and speeds are 60-80mbs. Moved it around and no improvement. Talk all about your 1GB download and then provide crappy routers that can no way support speed or distance. I connected my personal ASUS router and speeds are 500-600, BUT the stupid fiber wire is in a corner of my house that doesn't allow for good wifi coverage and my outside cameras no longer can connect. I've had it for about 4 hours now and will cancel soon.

Cristian Calugar Matthews, NC

Sub-par customer service. I needed help with a Google Router configuration issue. After a Google Help chat proved completely useless, I reached out to Tech Support, and chose to be called on the phone, because the wait time was over 2 hours. I got a call from Tech Support and was told that somebody will be with me in less than 2 minutes. After 21 minutes on hold, I hung up. This is sub-par customer service.

Rory Siwik Salt Lake City, UT

Google fiber chose my city of South Salt Lake to invest in deploying fiber to a city that has a fairly low median income. Install is 3 parts after You order. Cable trenching and running it to an NIU on the outside of Your house.. a day or 2 later... Another tech will come take the wire coiled around the box and make it ready. The big day... Your scheduled install appt. A tech will come to your house and drill about a 5/8 hole to pass the cable to. Install a fiber jack in a room closest to the NIU and plug in a power adapter. Install Google home, configure your service and done.. The installing in segments is new to me... but SOoo worth the wait.. I am regularly getting 880 Mbps down and 930 Up... Working from home, with several 4K streams running in the house is small potatoes.. Fiber is a dream come true.

Selena Hebe San Carlos, CA

they have the worst customer service i've ever experienced, the plan they provided is not flexible and the agent "blamed" customer for not viewing the agreement carefully, I'm so pissed for their attitude that they didn't address any concern we had and kept throwing back the problem to customers; it's your responsibility. The service is not even close to the other providers like ATT and verizon, i won't recommend it to anyone!!

Lee Richards Kansas City, MO

Google Fiber has been advertising their 2G service for months and I got in queue to upgrade from 1G to 2G. Advertisements hit me in apps, TV, and numerous other places and I was satisfied with 1G but do a lot of online video training so 2G looked like the way to go. I ordered it and took about 3 months to get it. Tech came out and took old router and installed new. Immediately Port Forwarding quit working. All my forwarding from the previous router was maintained as those settings were stored on the cloud. Tech had no idea what the problem was. Tech support chat had no idea. Escalated and still no idea. They sent out another install tech who said he didn't know what port forwarding was. He left and just cancelled my install ticket. After more complaining they escalated again and I got a tech who actually knew what port forwarding was. Just prior to this I had discovered online on several forums THIS WAS A KNOWN ISSUE. Escalated Tech acknowledged they knew it was an issue months before my install but are working on it. I also informed him that the router was randomly giving out conflicting IP addresses that were marked as reserved/static. 6 weeks later, still nothing fixed and no returned messages. Got on Chat again and they claim that they did not know there was a problem before I was installed which is not true and I have transcripts to prove it. They refuse to reinstall the functional 1G router and refuse to give me any refund of the $100+ a month they are charging me for a non-functional router. My cameras, alarm and many other things won't work. I constantly have TV's and such that suddenly stop working and I have to hunt down the IP conflict. This is Fraud, plain and simple. They knew they had a broken product, installed it anyway and continue to charge me for it.

Carol Dale Olathe, KS

I have had GF for approximately 4 years. During that time the service has been sporadic to non-existent, and it turns out the problem was on their end. It took forever for them to come change out the network box that was faulty. They would never send out anyone to diagnose it. Now they have changed to using the wi-fi access point (mesh) system and WARNING: it uses Google instead of Amazon devices. You’ll have to reset everything multiple times and won’t be able to use voice commands for simple things like turning on a light. I have spent two precious vacation days trying to figure it out and it is mind-numbingly frustrating because THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS. Run away while you still can.

Erik Lewis Minneapolis, MN

If all internet was google fiber we would never complain about ISP's again. We were in Kansas City when it rolled out and it was phenomenal.

Gil V

Expensive for nothing no better than services with 25% of MBPS games are no better same with connections. The amount of interruptions has been astronomical over the last 8 months since starting. Service was off for 3 days I had to get a entitled worker over here with a attitude with over 15 interruptions lasting longer than 2 hours google wanted to credit me 10 dollars for all of this. Customer service is terrible was told by 3 reps I wouldnt have to contact them again id be auto credited and to no surprise today checking bill nothing at all is different. There has not been 1 time in my life ive been so disgusted with a company. Im in my late 30's and this is my maybe 4th review in my life. Ive had At&t and spectrum both are way better services speed and customer service better anywhere else, Needless to say ill be switching back and never looking at fiber or anything to do with google again...

Cody Sewell

So far the service itself is actually good. However the two star rating comes from having to have the fiber jack installed twice, then having to have 8+ techs out to finally get the blue light (connection) to work since the installation was crap! Then after all that our router wasn't working. And as if all tyat bullshit wasn't enough bullshit, then the ppl who came to fix the other 2 bad installations drew graffiti on my porch. I know it was them because I water between certain plants daily and their team was the only ones there that day. If i could post a picture I would. Unprofessional to the max in my opinion! Lets hope the internet doesn't suck as bad as the installation crew.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

I literally have 1 tv ,a laptop , 3 phones in our household, a game system (hardly used and older model) and Vivint security system (Vivint had to install a special device directly to the router because the bandwidth was so terrible) Sometimes with visitors they have phones and even after upgrading In our area we have free service then a $55 plan , the $70 and $100 plans I have the $70 plan I figure just in to ensure it runs well and I still am unable to watch a show all the way through without it lagging at least 4 maybe 5 times or more I cannot prepare my lessons on my laptop and watch video clips Something is going on with Google fiber

C Y Irvine, CA

I'm 3 weeks into the service and about to cancel. As much as it pains me to say this, I'm reverting back to Cox. as others have mentioned, getting a straight answer from the techs is difficult. I've had 3 techs come out before I was able to install my 1G connection. Google Fiber, when it works it's great, but it's been spotty and really slow. There have been a few times the service would just drop randomly in the middle of the day. Currently for 4 days straight now, it's been super slow. This is how slow it's been lately, after running a speed test, it's been approx. 17 mbps download, and 18 mbps upload. Sometimes even less than that at times. Not sure what the issue is, because google won't send out a tech without trouble shooting with the online tech support. I'm not a technical guy so dealing with them isn't great.

Carlos Pina Salt Lake City, UT

When it’s working it’s fast. But it doesn’t work all the time. They have frequent long outrages with no explanation. I live in Salt Lake City, if you read this and are from there, just stick Comcast or someone else. Can’t count on a small indie company like google to offer reliable internet. This week I lost my internet 4-5 weekdays. I work from home, so this upsets me even more. Screw google fiber, save your money.

Michelle Hudon Kansas City, MO

I started with google the moment they came to kansas city. [email protected] was horrible and dish network was ridiculous in price and service. They have been so wonderful and kind. My older mother has wrecked 3 remotes, no problem for google and a quick fix. We had a house fire and for a year I couldn't get google at my temporary home. They were so above and beyond. I was charged minimum fee, so that when my home was rebuilt, they would not charge anything to redo my entire home with wiring and boxes. The internet has allowed me make a smart home, so all is at ease. I have great tv with them and some benefits of just being happy with no interruption in service. Only once was there ever a big issue and that was because of the royals. Google did everything to apologize and impress me even more. I tell everyone..why leave I have never had service like this! Every time I go to walmart and dish or spectrum comes to tell me try us I make it clear, I dont care what you save me. I wont leave google.

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

I don’t even know where to start. Great prices. Great customer service. Easiest “contract” I’ve ever even heard of, if I want faster speed for a couple days, I turn it up for those days and then get back to normal whenever. Moving around a lot as a teenager we went through a lot of different internet providers, all had their own pros and cons. Fiber has been all the pros with none of the cons. Even on their slowest basic plan, my wife has been able to stream Netflix while I was gaming online. Seriously the most stable connection I’ve ever had. Once we started paying for their mid tier plan, it was game over. Same incredibly reliable connection with consistent top end speeds. I’m paying for 100mbps and getting that all day everyday. No “up to 40mbps” but usually 10 with some spikes here and there. Not since we got google fiber.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

Great customer service! I highly recommend Google Fiber. I had a problem with their equipment and they not only sent a technician out to fix it but refunded the previous month's fee due to the disruption in service. When the technician came to look at the equipment I only mentioned the inconvenience of the box location and he told me he could rewire and move it to where ever I wanted it. He was able to move the box and rewire the internet to a phone jack in the office so I could get the highest speed while working from home. He was incredibly helpful and worked quickly. When we moved out of the Google Fiber service area it was easy to return the equipment and cancel the service. No questions asked.

Anea Johnson Roswell, GA

I just left the nightmare I call "u-verse" and after spending the last 4 years of my life with a scam of a company, I am thrilled to be a part of the fiber team. I just recently got my service installed and everything was a breeze, took less than an hour and the technician was extremely helpful in all aspects. He didn't even come in with a ton of wires and boxes, unlike xfinity or u-verse (I've had both companies and it takes a lot of equipment to get them going). With fiber you only need one jack and a box (literally), and you can put your television anywhere you want in your home. I have smart tvs so I did not need to subscribe to cable (who has cable anymore anyway). Fiber has made my life very simple and stress free so far. I have no plans on returning to any of my previous providers. My neighborhood has been flooded with fiber trucks and the service just opened up about 3 weeks ago. The speed is extremely fast and I have 4 smart tvs running on it, a PlayStation, two laptops, one tablet and 3 smart phones. I can't complain.

Cherie Spies

Having just moved here from Seattle where Comcast is King, we have been elated with Google Fiber so far. We have had no problems streaming Netflix, Hulu etc and we have the television and sports add on too with no problems at all... and there are PLENTY of channels... Anyone who needs more than 220 channels has too much time on their hands. Customer service was excellent the second time I called. She actually called me back to see if everything was working OK. With Comcast we were having to reboot the modem at least twice a week and shows would hang up A LOT! Stop whining GF users.... You have the best product out there!

Curious George Kansas City, MO

I have Google Fiber at my apartment and also at my business. I am super happy with both services. At work it is the full 1gig business service at $100 a month. Both upload and download are fantastic. Very large files that use to take 10 hours with the fastest ATT DSL are now uploaded in 7 minutes with the Google Fiber. At home, I opted for paying the $300 installation cost and now have 5mbps service for free for 7 years. This level of service plays back all videos smoothly and never requires buffering, incuding Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. Before we had Att Uverse 5mbps dsl but it would constantly buffer. Installation at both locations went easily, no problems. I love Google Fiber, it is fantastic.

Inez Ragland-Fields Huntsville, AL

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘱 𝘢𝘳𝘦 horrible they talk to you like you are trash

BELINDA RAMIREZLEON Kansas City, MO

ive had Google Fiber foralmost three yearsim very satisfied if you need help there is an excellent support staff very friendly lots of good information id recommend it to a friend ilove this company great pictureand sound quality it holds up through storms it hardlyever goes out and if it does it comes BELINDA M RAMIREZ LEON I LOVE THIS SERVICE

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We have Google Fiber for our internet and it's way faster and cheaper than when we had Comcast. We did a lot of research on our last move about which company would be the fastest for the least and Google was always double the speed for the same price and we have been very satisfied with their service. We have tenants in our home that use the same Wi-fi and we've never had a buffering issue! Also, billing is super easy with the auto-pay.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

Google Fiber provides an incredible, reliable service for a very reasonable price. As usual, Google sets the standard for humanist customer service and a reliable, well-designed, functional experience that seems to work better than most other ISPs. Their "not evil" policy certainly shows, especially when compared to corporate abominations like Comcast and Time Warner Cable whose customer service horror stories are both disturbing and abundant. Google Fiber is a win by all accounts.

Lars Haugsted

The only positives would be is they will pay for your termination to buy you out of your AT&T wifi contract, there is very little equipment, and the people are nice. The actual internet connection and wifi though? I DO NOT RECOMMEND! Especially if you work from home. Unless you like having to call your provider every 3-4 weeks because your wifi is out— this is for you. Do you love it when your wifi goes out in the middle of your sales presentation? How about your internet service dropping every 5 minutes for 3 hours while screen sharing for a technical interview for your dream job that you of course didn't get? I've had Google Fiber for maybe 7 months and have had to call them 25-30 times. It's just sad how much effort I have to put in just to get service. An AT&T hotspot from my cell is more reliable than Google Fiber. I've not had internet service since June 22nd and it is July 6th... still waiting for someone to come out and fix it. To receive a credit, I am responsible for having to reach back out to them after service is back up and running— if I don't do that, then no credit.

Dennis Lyon Kansas City, MO

I have been a google fiber user for several years and had a plan that was costing me $50 a month well google has let's say hounded me about upgrading my service promising a increase in speed and service for my home. Well they did this over and over the past year and since i work from home more now I finally gave in and upgraded my plan as they had kept asking me to do. So now i have the $79 a month plan and guess what no changes in my service or speed at all. So i contact the support line and they checked everything and informed me oh well that upgrade does you no good and was basically just a scam to get more money for the same service and I asked to revert back and guess what you can't that plan is no longer offered so you now have to just pay us more. So if you are a customer watch out they are out to get your money and don't care if they are ripping you off.

Shawk Parson Tustin, CA

can't say Google Fiber is not a good service, especially now that I've been using it for a few months only … (and experiencing some brown-outs already btw!) but compared to Cox and Spectrum that I have used in the past, there are at least two things missing from Google Fiber that the other two do offer: 1. Cox and Spectrum also give 'free' McAfee anti malware and anti virus included in the same amount of monthly fee 2. at least Cox also includes a dual speed modem/router with 2.4GHz as well as 5.x GHz speeds available on its wireless, again, for the same amount of monthly pay overall, I don't find Google Fiber a 'superior' service really and if it starts going the way some others have already, ie, slowing down and blackouts and things like that, i'd rather go back to one service I know that gave me the least trouble in the past! (sorry I won't name it here `cause I don't want to spoil them in case they read this!) ;-)

Kyler Ashby Phoenix, AZ

Should you have the opportunity to have Google Fiber I would highly recommend it. It's fast and very reliable. Should you run into any concerns or problems customer service is extremely helpful. Of the very few problems I've had they were rectified almost immediately with a quick call.

Gary W. Crane Olathe, KS

There is no support services for GF. I have it and I want to add my phone to my account but I can't get anybody to spend just 10 minutes to do the job. BUT they do manage to take time to eat. And they installers get overtime pay so they do have job security but I wonder if the current customers are staying if there is no physical customer service. But the fiber does put out a great picture. But somebody cuts the major glass wire coming in front of my house I am just going to turn off my computer and watch movies on my TV. And I am calling every TV station in the Kansas City area to tell them and show them the problem after it is out for a month with a promise it will be repaired.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We have Google Fiber for our business and absolutely love it. Having reliable internet is essential for the success of our business as we are heavy technology users. We also use VOIP and it would be detrimental to our business if our phones went down. Since moving to Google Fiber, we have only had one time with interrupted service and it last about 5 minutes.

WoodWell SHOP Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Completely horrible as big as google is that the service and support are this bad. No one knows what they are doing and cannot give you an straight answer. Install still has not occurred after 1 month and they outsource to a third party they cannot communicate with. Just in AHHH.

Robert Cockman Lee's Summit, MO

Buffering.... Buffering... Buffering. Slow. We even bought their signal boosters and put them on each floor... still slow, and constantly losing service. WHEN it works, pretty good, but doesn't work well enough to endure the constant drops.

Shauna Mays Tucson, AZ

Let me start by saying i am not happy at all with Google Fiber i Have been waiting since February for some kind of service. I was told by the apartment managers where i live that All units were wired for google fiber in 2018 and everyone around is using. It. Google fiber has said that there is no wires to my unit however i have. Wiring in my unit and i have the jack. I dont know what the heck is taking sooo long to figure this out. It is now june.

chase Mist Chicago, IL

The fast connection when it works,.. is good,... servers seem slow... I don't like the horrible customer service... (Kansas City). Don't get me wrong the concept is great but dealing with "Skippy" is aggravating, Believe it or not most of your customers probably know abet about the problem. Try hiring some quality people that know they need to listen and solve problems instead of reading off a flow chart with lines leading off to nowhere. Beyond dumb

Zack Austin, TX

I have had positive experiences with their customer service. Their network boxes, however, function as terrible routers. I can have line of sight and an interrupted network, and this has been the case with multiple network boxes at multiple residences. The less expensive of the two plans is INCREDIBLY throttled during peak times (I cannot speak to the more expensive plan), to the point where only one connected device will have moments of very low definition video playback, games lag to the point of getting kicked, and all while within 20 ft of the box. Just because it's fiber doesn't mean they don't still have the same issues of other internet service providers.

Matthew Kenyon Austin, TX

Google Fiber is not at all what it claims to be. Once you sign up for google fiber I promise you will be disappointed. The speeds are not at all what they claim. The price is $20 higher than advertised on their website. You cannot get Pay Per View on the Television. You cannot get Amazon Prime and most other apps on your smart TV. When you call customer support they will tell you that marginal speeds are awesome, which they are not. I had Direct TV at my last house and it was faster, easier, and way more flexible than Google Fiber. I would do you research, because this will not be everything you expect it to be.

Cyndi Lee's Summit, MO

Let me preface by saying that I changed to Google Fiber when I made the decision to cut the cable cord, mostly because I wanted to be able to use the existing coax cable for the HD Antenna I put up on my house...which works great for local stations. My thinking was that Google adding a fiber connection for internet service would be a better option because the internet service would be isolated on it's own network in my house. Also, I work from home full-time and need the internet service to be consistent and capable of handling my 8-11 hour work days as well as my son's gaming computer and multiple wireless smart-home devices and cell phones. There are pros and cons to my thought process. Pros: In fact, the existing coax wiring to my entire house connected to the digital HD antenna on my house works fabulously for the 40+ stations that I receive locally for FREE. I already use Netflix and Hulu and Prime so there are no "additional" costs by changing ISPs. Google did in fact run a separate cat 5e/cat 6 line into my house and to the modem...which is where the pros end. Cons: 1) My previous two cable/internet providers provided FREE downloadable internet security (Norton) for all devices connected to my network, Google does not offer this and when I asked about it, they seemed totally unaware this was even plausible, to the point of apathy, so my cost $80/yr. 2) The first installer that came to the house to setup connectivity brought equipment and then went outside to setup the connection and found that the 3rd party company that ran the fiber cable up to my house didn't actually turn it on. So they had to reschedule installation for 3 weeks later! Why so long? Google doesn't actually lay their own fiber so they have to coordinate the 3rd party company to come back to your neighborhood and get into the box to turn it on...are you freaking kidding me? They don't have access to their own fiber boxes?? Meanwhile I had already scheduled the disconnect of my Xfinity services and had to call them back and tell them not to cancel and pay for another month of service for which Google gave me zero credit for their delay. 3) Payment - while many may not care that the ONLY option available with Google Fiber is to give them your bank account information or credit/debit card number and they bill you automatically on the same date every month, I personally find this intrusive and overly demanding. My bank account cards are my business to manage and my credit score reflects that I am very responsible in doing so. With all of the large and small companies that have been hacked on a global scale I simply don't trust that Google is any better at protecting my information than Equifax or any other company. And to make this worse, once they have the information you can't remove it from their website. However, a word for the wise, go get a visa pre-paid card and enter that number on your google account to minimize your own risk and you can cancel any time by just not reloading that card. 4) Wifi signal SUCKs with the modem that Google put in my house. I had the exact same setup with Xfinity and never had issues with wifi slowness. The admin interface on the account/modem is real old school. It's like they bought modems from a 3rd party company that are 10 years old and they don't even understand that there is much better equipment available. I have called them multiple times about it and they keep trying to get me to change the setup from splitting out the 2.4 and 5 to combining so the "modem" will decide which connection is best for the device connecting. Uh...no...tried that and it was MUCH worse than manually connecting to the band that the devices are capable of. Then they said to reset the modem...okay - still no better. And of course I got the lecture from them about how wifi speeds are affected by the number of devices connected blah blah blah. Yes I understand that but when I haven't added any devices since switching services from Xfinity to Google and Xfinity only provided 400 mbps and Google is selling their service as Gig speed it should get better not worse! 5) I have my office device (for work) hard wired to the modem and still the speeds are hitting 600+ or - at best, ever. While this is decent connection speed, I've never seen anywhere close to 1000. The wireless devices in the house sometimes get max asymmetrical speeds of 80-120 and sometimes it pegs out at 9-12 mbps. Definitely NOT the hype that Google promises as Gigabit internet speeds. 6) I have inquired multiple times about getting a better modem from Google and their customer service simply isn't equipped to handle any issues themselves. They don't know how to resolve issues that aren't on the script in front of them. So I have also purchased a Wifi extender just to get the signal out to all the rooms in my house, but I still wait and watch as facebook posts won't load etc. Count me as dissatisfied.

Kristin Clark San Antonio, TX

Friendly but not so helpful. I signed up for google fiber as soon as it became available in my neighborhood with an installation date set for September 13th. The tech showed up a little later than the 10 am scheduled time but it’s ok. It’s normal. After changing out the wall mounts to their fiber input, the tech stated that we didn’t have a strong enough light reading and we could not set up until someone came out to work outside on our line. He packed up the router and equipment and assured us that either he or someone else would contact us later that day to let us know they were on the way back to install our internet equipment. Well, that never happened. When I called back at 5 pm I was told that our ticket that was created, was marked as complete, and that no one else had been scheduled to install our services. When he looked deeper into our file, the rep said that our reading was still too low and that he was completely unsure how this even happened at all! He offered a $50 credit on our account and scheduled us for a new appointment. The earliest appointment was 8 am September 17th though. So September 17th comes along. 8 o’clock. 9 o’clock. 10 o’clock.. nothing. So we call again. No appointment had been scheduled! I get off work that evening and call myself to get more information. Apparently our issue outside had not been resolved. It had been marked as ok. The advice offered to me by the rep was that I should have kept my old services on until the new ones were up and running. But this is after my walk inputs were REPLACED by google fibers inputs! So it’s not even possible to use the old service! So.. here I am on the 20th with a new appointment scheduled for the 24th just waiting. Yes I’m on a list to have services installed if an appointment time becomes available BUT the issue outside has still not been addressed! So if someone DOES show up nothing can be done! All this and I get a $50 credit. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I need strong service because of the type of work we do from home but is it all really worth it? Im not sure I’ll ever find out. Everyone is nice when I call but I need more. I need results and I need them soon. Unhappy and not even a customer yet.

Jillian Kansas City, MO

Ok so I’ll preface this with saying overall, google fibers speed has been fine. But I’ll tell a story that will paint a picture on their customer service. Back in May, a garage burned down in the alley around our block. The garage happened to be right next to the pole holing our cables above ground. We lost service. Act of god, no worries, just hoping no one was injured in the fire. They come a few days later and check our box (even though we told them about the fire), they say “well we have to rule out your network box first, it’s protocol”. Cool, whatever. They come, realize it’s the fire (weird) and day they’ll send out a crew to fix the cables outside within 72 hours. So by then we’re out of internet for over a week. They fix it, it goes out again days later. Because instead of hanging the wire above ground, they lay them on the ground across the alley, and guess what! A bobcat comes in to demolish what’s left of the burned garage. Ok, again not necessarily google fibers bad, but it would have been cool if they’d not laid fiber optic cables on a street that gets traffic. We wait again. Protocol again. Fixed. Out again about 2 weeks later. A large vehicle ran them over again to start rebuilding the burned structure. At this point we’re begging google fiber to hang the wires so this stops happening. 7 outages later we’re in September, out of Internet again and now they’re telling us WE should have been contacting the city or kcpl to have the pole replaced so that they can hang the wires! Ok cool, we’re calling the city, putting in requests with kcpl for a replacement pole. Fiber says they’ll go ahead and fix it again within a day and then come back and hang them when the pole is replaced. 2 more days go by, nothing fixed, we call, they say “oh no, we’ll come fix it AFTER the pole is replaced” which could be weeks for all we know! My partner is a real estate photographer so he needs to able to upload photos as soon as he’s home from work, and if he can’t, he has to go to a friends, or somewhere else that has fast internet to upload. Which means more driving (money) for him, plus less time for us to spend any time together after working all day. I’m mostly ranting because I have to vent about how absurd all of this is. I guess just be aware if you have some wild, random problem pop up like this, don’t expect it fixed for an entire season or more.

Kaya San Antonio, TX

We got GF about a week ago and already having problems. The connection and upload speed is the same as with Spectrum, nothing to brag about. For 3 days out of this week internet was patchy, and today it's mostly been down. 7 hours with no internet during a busy Monday, and now it's out again after 2 hours of working. Seriously considering going back to Spectrum. It was cheaper and more reliable.

Alex Raymore, MO

Google fiber has outstanding costumer service! We accidentally cut our fiber line while doing lawn care on a Saturday. My husband called immediately and they were at our house within 4 hours to resolve the issue.

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

Super fast and super free - or get even faster for a small cost? Sounds great to me! I was sad to move out of the covered area! Their customer service was way better than any other internet company.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I would not recommend getting the free version, it is incredibly slow and does not support many devices being on it without it not working completely. I personally use Fiber 100 and it's pretty good. Those in my household combined have about 16 devices running on it. Rarely experience any lag, even if we each are streaming HD video, it hasn't slowed down on us. Customer service is really helpful, unless you need a technician to come out because that will take forever.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

I have Google Fiber at my apartment and so far it's been great. The internet is fast and I have never had any problems streaming or anything. Much better than the Comcast service that I had at my last apartment.

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

Google fiber is a great wifi service, and they sometimes will offer discounts for students depending on your college/university, which has been a lifesaver for me. The coverage usually works pretty well, and doesn't disconnect very often, although that will occasionally happen.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

We get Google Fiber through our apartment complex , and it's definitely the fastest internet I've ever had. While it is a bit pricier, I believe it's definitely worth getting. In over a year and a half, we've only had one half-day of issues.

Krystal Taylor Pleasant Grove, UT

Absolutely loved their service. Their product was top notch. Occasionally my roommates might complain about the speed, but we were using the FREE version, and I never had any issues with it. The customer service was great, they were very helpful whenever we called.

Benjamin Walbrecht Provo, UT

Google fiber is a great option if it’s supplied in your area. I have the free package, but they allow you to upgrade to the 100 or the 1000 package for days at a time and prorate it. If I need fast internet for a day, I just pay the 2 bucks for that day and then cancel the next day.

Kyle Gardner Provo, UT

At my apartment complex we have the free basic Google fiber internet. For being free, it is excellent internet that is usually suffieny for watching youtube, surfing the web, or doing any homework online. If you are a big streamer or gamer then it probably won't be suffient and you'll need to get the upgraded internet services. My roommates often feel frustrated by the internet speeds when they are gaming, but over all it is great free internet.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I had google fiber in Provo for several years and it was the best! I NEVER had any problems with the internet bugging out, and the speed was incredibly fast. It was the absolute best. I wish the town where I currently live had Google FIber!

Jacob Shaner

Very good internet connection and great customer service. The free package is a good speed, and the next up is quite the jump from free. I’m surprised they don’t have a $10 a month option. The next package up would definitely be worth the price if I needed that much speed.