Google Fiber Logo

5.6

LAST UPDATED: September 1st, 2021

Google Fiber is an internet service provider that is seeking to disrupt the industry with its use of fiber-optic cables that provide quick speeds and high-quality streaming.

Google Fiber provides various internet speeds up to 1 Gbps. It requires a one-year contract and has reasonable prices starting at $50 per month.

View Google Fiber Reviews

While Google Fiber internet speeds are 100 times faster than most internet providers, its full services are currently only available in eleven cities and regions in the United States. In 2016, Google paused all plans for expansion of Google Fiber, but customers can still access Fiber internet if it's already available where they live.

The Good

• Incredibly Fast Speeds
  • Free Standard Internet
  • Several Upgrade Options

Incredibly Fast Speeds

Google Fiber provides internet, television, and phone services through a network of fiber-optic cables. A system which, according to Google, delivers internet speeds that are more than 100 times faster than what most internet service providers can offer.

Creating a fiber-optic network was a time-consuming process. Before a new city could be considered eligible for Google Fiber internet services, company representatives would meet with city officials to review the city's infrastructure, roads, and utility paths. If the city was a good fit, Google Fiber's team would create a network design, often involving thousands of miles of fiber-optic cables, that was compatible with the city's existing utility map.

Free Standard Internet

After the network is installed, Google Fiber reaches out to small, concentrated communities (or "Fiberhoods") in the city to promote its services. Each new Fiber customer is offered a free standard internet plan, which includes 5 Mbps download speed and 1 Mbps upload speed.

While speeds on the free plan are not faster than those offered by other internet service providers, they are free, which is almost unheard of in this industry. After signing up, Fiber customers are guaranteed at least seven years of free internet at one address.

Several Upgrade Options

In addition to Google Fiber's free plan, customers have the option to pay for upgraded plans, including gigabit internet, for both residences and small businesses.

Here are the residential plans:

• Fiber 100 — $50 per month
  • Fiber 1,000 — $70 per month
  • Fiber 1,000 + Local TV — $95 per month, 15+ channels
  • Fiber 100 + TV — $140 per month, 150+ channels
  • Fiber 1,000 + TV — $160 per month, 150+ channels

The small business packages are even more straightforward:

• Fiber Business 100 — $70 per month
  • Fiber Business 250 — $100 per month
  • Fiber Business 1,000 — $250 per month

Customers can sometimes add phone services for an additional $10 per month, as well as Nest products — thermostats, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and security cameras — for an additional charge (only available on paid plans).

The Bad

• Limited Availability
  • Lengthy Installation Time
  • Slow Speeds with Free Service

Limited Availability

Gaining access to Google Fiber internet service in your area can prove challenging. According to Google Fiber's site, here are the eleven cities and regions that have access to Fiber's full high speed internet service:

• Atlanta, Georgia
  • Provo, Utah
  • San Antonio, Texas
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • The Triangle, North Carolina

And here are the seven cities where only apartment and condo service is available:

• Chicago, Illinois
  • Denver, Colorado
  • Miami, Florida
  • Oakland, California
  • San Diego, California
  • San Francisco, California
  • Seattle, Washington

One way to determine if you're eligible is to enter your address into the Check Eligibility section of Google Fiber's website. Unfortunately, customers in rural areas and less populated regions will likely never have access to Google Fiber service.

Lengthy Installation Time

Many customers complained that high speed internet installation was a lengthy process. As mentioned before, this process involved installing a fiber network comprised of thousands of miles of fiber optic cable, and fully optimizing a city for Google Fiber took several months, if not years.

Since Google Fiber is already fixed and installed in its select locations, and cancelled in remaining locations, negative reviews regarding infrastructural installation time probably won't apply to you.

Slow Speeds with Free Service

It's also important to note that, while Google Fiber is one of the only service providers to offer a basic internet package for free. Per a third-party speed test, the internet speeds accompanying the free package and network box are no better than the standard internet speed of any other provider. The limited bandwidth of the free plan can be easily overwhelmed by multiple devices such as computers, smartphones, and tablets.

Some negative reviews describe the free plan and complain of slow and unreliable upload and download speed; keep in mind that these experiences may be the fault of the reviewer for selecting a free plan if they had an option to purchase a package.

If this internet provider is available in your area and you opt for the free plan, don't expect amazingly fast internet.

The Bottom Line

As an ISP, Google Fiber provides impressive packages at competitive prices, and the potential for a free plan is a generous perk. But while Google Fiber is providing internet speeds up to 100 times faster than the competition, its expansion and installation processes were considerably slower than the competition.

In general, Google Fiber strives for quality customer service and generous policies. You might be impressed by what Fiber has to offer, but you might be deterred by Fiber's announcement to pause expansion — could this mean future cancellation in existing cities?

View Best Internet Service Companies

3.1

Rory Siwik Salt Lake City, UT

Google fiber chose my city of South Salt Lake to invest in deploying fiber to a city that has a fairly low median income. Install is 3 parts after You order. Cable trenching and running it to an NIU on the outside of Your house.. a day or 2 later... Another tech will come take the wire coiled around the box and make it ready. The big day... Your scheduled install appt. A tech will come to your house and drill about a 5/8 hole to pass the cable to. Install a fiber jack in a room closest to the NIU and plug in a power adapter. Install Google home, configure your service and done.. The installing in segments is new to me... but SOoo worth the wait.. I am regularly getting 880 Mbps down and 930 Up... Working from home, with several 4K streams running in the house is small potatoes.. Fiber is a dream come true.

WoodWell SHOP Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

Completely horrible as big as google is that the service and support are this bad. No one knows what they are doing and cannot give you an straight answer. Install still has not occurred after 1 month and they outsource to a third party they cannot communicate with. Just in AHHH.

Lars Haugsted

The only positives would be is they will pay for your termination to buy you out of your AT&T wifi contract, there is very little equipment, and the people are nice. The actual internet connection and wifi though? I DO NOT RECOMMEND! Especially if you work from home. Unless you like having to call your provider every 3-4 weeks because your wifi is out— this is for you. Do you love it when your wifi goes out in the middle of your sales presentation? How about your internet service dropping every 5 minutes for 3 hours while screen sharing for a technical interview for your dream job that you of course didn't get? I've had Google Fiber for maybe 7 months and have had to call them 25-30 times. It's just sad how much effort I have to put in just to get service. An AT&T hotspot from my cell is more reliable than Google Fiber. I've not had internet service since June 22nd and it is July 6th... still waiting for someone to come out and fix it. To receive a credit, I am responsible for having to reach back out to them after service is back up and running— if I don't do that, then no credit.

Michelle Hudon Kansas City, MO

I started with google the moment they came to kansas city. [email protected] was horrible and dish network was ridiculous in price and service. They have been so wonderful and kind. My older mother has wrecked 3 remotes, no problem for google and a quick fix. We had a house fire and for a year I couldn't get google at my temporary home. They were so above and beyond. I was charged minimum fee, so that when my home was rebuilt, they would not charge anything to redo my entire home with wiring and boxes. The internet has allowed me make a smart home, so all is at ease. I have great tv with them and some benefits of just being happy with no interruption in service. Only once was there ever a big issue and that was because of the royals. Google did everything to apologize and impress me even more. I tell everyone..why leave I have never had service like this! Every time I go to walmart and dish or spectrum comes to tell me try us I make it clear, I dont care what you save me. I wont leave google.

Miguel Figueroa Provo, UT

I don’t even know where to start. Great prices. Great customer service. Easiest “contract” I’ve ever even heard of, if I want faster speed for a couple days, I turn it up for those days and then get back to normal whenever. Moving around a lot as a teenager we went through a lot of different internet providers, all had their own pros and cons. Fiber has been all the pros with none of the cons. Even on their slowest basic plan, my wife has been able to stream Netflix while I was gaming online. Seriously the most stable connection I’ve ever had. Once we started paying for their mid tier plan, it was game over. Same incredibly reliable connection with consistent top end speeds. I’m paying for 100mbps and getting that all day everyday. No “up to 40mbps” but usually 10 with some spikes here and there. Not since we got google fiber.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

Great customer service! I highly recommend Google Fiber. I had a problem with their equipment and they not only sent a technician out to fix it but refunded the previous month's fee due to the disruption in service. When the technician came to look at the equipment I only mentioned the inconvenience of the box location and he told me he could rewire and move it to where ever I wanted it. He was able to move the box and rewire the internet to a phone jack in the office so I could get the highest speed while working from home. He was incredibly helpful and worked quickly. When we moved out of the Google Fiber service area it was easy to return the equipment and cancel the service. No questions asked.

Anea Johnson Roswell, GA

I just left the nightmare I call "u-verse" and after spending the last 4 years of my life with a scam of a company, I am thrilled to be a part of the fiber team. I just recently got my service installed and everything was a breeze, took less than an hour and the technician was extremely helpful in all aspects. He didn't even come in with a ton of wires and boxes, unlike xfinity or u-verse (I've had both companies and it takes a lot of equipment to get them going). With fiber you only need one jack and a box (literally), and you can put your television anywhere you want in your home. I have smart tvs so I did not need to subscribe to cable (who has cable anymore anyway). Fiber has made my life very simple and stress free so far. I have no plans on returning to any of my previous providers. My neighborhood has been flooded with fiber trucks and the service just opened up about 3 weeks ago. The speed is extremely fast and I have 4 smart tvs running on it, a PlayStation, two laptops, one tablet and 3 smart phones. I can't complain.

Cherie Spies

Having just moved here from Seattle where Comcast is King, we have been elated with Google Fiber so far. We have had no problems streaming Netflix, Hulu etc and we have the television and sports add on too with no problems at all... and there are PLENTY of channels... Anyone who needs more than 220 channels has too much time on their hands. Customer service was excellent the second time I called. She actually called me back to see if everything was working OK. With Comcast we were having to reboot the modem at least twice a week and shows would hang up A LOT! Stop whining GF users.... You have the best product out there!

Curious George Kansas City, MO

I have Google Fiber at my apartment and also at my business. I am super happy with both services. At work it is the full 1gig business service at $100 a month. Both upload and download are fantastic. Very large files that use to take 10 hours with the fastest ATT DSL are now uploaded in 7 minutes with the Google Fiber. At home, I opted for paying the $300 installation cost and now have 5mbps service for free for 7 years. This level of service plays back all videos smoothly and never requires buffering, incuding Amazon Prime, YouTube, etc. Before we had Att Uverse 5mbps dsl but it would constantly buffer. Installation at both locations went easily, no problems. I love Google Fiber, it is fantastic.

Hans Werner Huebner Charlotte, NC

I had appointment for 2 gig installation. I am already a customer, not too happy but I stuck with them. Appointment was made 3 weeks before. They were supposed to come today. 2 hours before they cancelled. This is not the first time they pulled that on me. I am done with this company.

Robert Cockman Lee's Summit, MO

Buffering.... Buffering... Buffering. Slow. We even bought their signal boosters and put them on each floor... still slow, and constantly losing service. WHEN it works, pretty good, but doesn't work well enough to endure the constant drops.

Shauna Mays Tucson, AZ

Let me start by saying i am not happy at all with Google Fiber i Have been waiting since February for some kind of service. I was told by the apartment managers where i live that All units were wired for google fiber in 2018 and everyone around is using. It. Google fiber has said that there is no wires to my unit however i have. Wiring in my unit and i have the jack. I dont know what the heck is taking sooo long to figure this out. It is now june.

Dennis Lyon Kansas City, MO

I have been a google fiber user for several years and had a plan that was costing me $50 a month well google has let's say hounded me about upgrading my service promising a increase in speed and service for my home. Well they did this over and over the past year and since i work from home more now I finally gave in and upgraded my plan as they had kept asking me to do. So now i have the $79 a month plan and guess what no changes in my service or speed at all. So i contact the support line and they checked everything and informed me oh well that upgrade does you no good and was basically just a scam to get more money for the same service and I asked to revert back and guess what you can't that plan is no longer offered so you now have to just pay us more. So if you are a customer watch out they are out to get your money and don't care if they are ripping you off.

BELINDA RAMIREZLEON Kansas City, MO

ive had Google Fiber foralmost three yearsim very satisfied if you need help there is an excellent support staff very friendly lots of good information id recommend it to a friend ilove this company great pictureand sound quality it holds up through storms it hardlyever goes out and if it does it comes BELINDA M RAMIREZ LEON I LOVE THIS SERVICE

Anne Kimball Salt Lake City, UT

We have Google Fiber for our internet and it's way faster and cheaper than when we had Comcast. We did a lot of research on our last move about which company would be the fastest for the least and Google was always double the speed for the same price and we have been very satisfied with their service. We have tenants in our home that use the same Wi-fi and we've never had a buffering issue! Also, billing is super easy with the auto-pay.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

Google Fiber provides an incredible, reliable service for a very reasonable price. As usual, Google sets the standard for humanist customer service and a reliable, well-designed, functional experience that seems to work better than most other ISPs. Their "not evil" policy certainly shows, especially when compared to corporate abominations like Comcast and Time Warner Cable whose customer service horror stories are both disturbing and abundant. Google Fiber is a win by all accounts.

carrie boling Kansas City, MO

if there was a zero I would give it. Bought a new home 2 days prior to installation perfect home technician comes and puts a hole in my wall and a month later it is still there.. Can't seem to get anyone at google to take me seriously I want this repaired. Don't really want to go the legal means but I will if they push me any further. Horrible stay away.

chase Mist Chicago, IL

The fast connection when it works,.. is good,... servers seem slow... I don't like the horrible customer service... (Kansas City). Don't get me wrong the concept is great but dealing with "Skippy" is aggravating, Believe it or not most of your customers probably know abet about the problem. Try hiring some quality people that know they need to listen and solve problems instead of reading off a flow chart with lines leading off to nowhere. Beyond dumb

Inez Ragland-Fields Huntsville, AL

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘨𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘶𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘳𝘷𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘱 𝘢𝘳𝘦 horrible they talk to you like you are trash

Shawk Parson Tustin, CA

can't say Google Fiber is not a good service, especially now that I've been using it for a few months only … (and experiencing some brown-outs already btw!) but compared to Cox and Spectrum that I have used in the past, there are at least two things missing from Google Fiber that the other two do offer: 1. Cox and Spectrum also give 'free' McAfee anti malware and anti virus included in the same amount of monthly fee 2. at least Cox also includes a dual speed modem/router with 2.4GHz as well as 5.x GHz speeds available on its wireless, again, for the same amount of monthly pay overall, I don't find Google Fiber a 'superior' service really and if it starts going the way some others have already, ie, slowing down and blackouts and things like that, i'd rather go back to one service I know that gave me the least trouble in the past! (sorry I won't name it here `cause I don't want to spoil them in case they read this!) ;-)

Kyler Ashby Phoenix, AZ

Should you have the opportunity to have Google Fiber I would highly recommend it. It's fast and very reliable. Should you run into any concerns or problems customer service is extremely helpful. Of the very few problems I've had they were rectified almost immediately with a quick call.

Gary W. Crane Olathe, KS

There is no support services for GF. I have it and I want to add my phone to my account but I can't get anybody to spend just 10 minutes to do the job. BUT they do manage to take time to eat. And they installers get overtime pay so they do have job security but I wonder if the current customers are staying if there is no physical customer service. But the fiber does put out a great picture. But somebody cuts the major glass wire coming in front of my house I am just going to turn off my computer and watch movies on my TV. And I am calling every TV station in the Kansas City area to tell them and show them the problem after it is out for a month with a promise it will be repaired.

Rischelle Mikkelson American Fork, UT

We have Google Fiber for our business and absolutely love it. Having reliable internet is essential for the success of our business as we are heavy technology users. We also use VOIP and it would be detrimental to our business if our phones went down. Since moving to Google Fiber, we have only had one time with interrupted service and it last about 5 minutes.

Benjamin Hickerson ,

Google fiber is atrocious. Connection hardly even reaches the next room and when it does, it’s so slow and unreliable you might as well not have it. I’ve talked with their customer support for weeks now and all they suggest is throwing more money their way to buy new routers because it’s clearly not their fault. You basically need a router for every single room in your home which is ridiculous because they are $100 each. Save your money and choose literally any other internet service provider.

Zack Austin, TX

I have had positive experiences with their customer service. Their network boxes, however, function as terrible routers. I can have line of sight and an interrupted network, and this has been the case with multiple network boxes at multiple residences. The less expensive of the two plans is INCREDIBLY throttled during peak times (I cannot speak to the more expensive plan), to the point where only one connected device will have moments of very low definition video playback, games lag to the point of getting kicked, and all while within 20 ft of the box. Just because it's fiber doesn't mean they don't still have the same issues of other internet service providers.

Matthew Kenyon Austin, TX

Google Fiber is not at all what it claims to be. Once you sign up for google fiber I promise you will be disappointed. The speeds are not at all what they claim. The price is $20 higher than advertised on their website. You cannot get Pay Per View on the Television. You cannot get Amazon Prime and most other apps on your smart TV. When you call customer support they will tell you that marginal speeds are awesome, which they are not. I had Direct TV at my last house and it was faster, easier, and way more flexible than Google Fiber. I would do you research, because this will not be everything you expect it to be.

Cyndi Lee's Summit, MO

Let me preface by saying that I changed to Google Fiber when I made the decision to cut the cable cord, mostly because I wanted to be able to use the existing coax cable for the HD Antenna I put up on my house...which works great for local stations. My thinking was that Google adding a fiber connection for internet service would be a better option because the internet service would be isolated on it's own network in my house. Also, I work from home full-time and need the internet service to be consistent and capable of handling my 8-11 hour work days as well as my son's gaming computer and multiple wireless smart-home devices and cell phones. There are pros and cons to my thought process. Pros: In fact, the existing coax wiring to my entire house connected to the digital HD antenna on my house works fabulously for the 40+ stations that I receive locally for FREE. I already use Netflix and Hulu and Prime so there are no "additional" costs by changing ISPs. Google did in fact run a separate cat 5e/cat 6 line into my house and to the modem...which is where the pros end. Cons: 1) My previous two cable/internet providers provided FREE downloadable internet security (Norton) for all devices connected to my network, Google does not offer this and when I asked about it, they seemed totally unaware this was even plausible, to the point of apathy, so my cost $80/yr. 2) The first installer that came to the house to setup connectivity brought equipment and then went outside to setup the connection and found that the 3rd party company that ran the fiber cable up to my house didn't actually turn it on. So they had to reschedule installation for 3 weeks later! Why so long? Google doesn't actually lay their own fiber so they have to coordinate the 3rd party company to come back to your neighborhood and get into the box to turn it on...are you freaking kidding me? They don't have access to their own fiber boxes?? Meanwhile I had already scheduled the disconnect of my Xfinity services and had to call them back and tell them not to cancel and pay for another month of service for which Google gave me zero credit for their delay. 3) Payment - while many may not care that the ONLY option available with Google Fiber is to give them your bank account information or credit/debit card number and they bill you automatically on the same date every month, I personally find this intrusive and overly demanding. My bank account cards are my business to manage and my credit score reflects that I am very responsible in doing so. With all of the large and small companies that have been hacked on a global scale I simply don't trust that Google is any better at protecting my information than Equifax or any other company. And to make this worse, once they have the information you can't remove it from their website. However, a word for the wise, go get a visa pre-paid card and enter that number on your google account to minimize your own risk and you can cancel any time by just not reloading that card. 4) Wifi signal SUCKs with the modem that Google put in my house. I had the exact same setup with Xfinity and never had issues with wifi slowness. The admin interface on the account/modem is real old school. It's like they bought modems from a 3rd party company that are 10 years old and they don't even understand that there is much better equipment available. I have called them multiple times about it and they keep trying to get me to change the setup from splitting out the 2.4 and 5 to combining so the "modem" will decide which connection is best for the device connecting. Uh...no...tried that and it was MUCH worse than manually connecting to the band that the devices are capable of. Then they said to reset the modem...okay - still no better. And of course I got the lecture from them about how wifi speeds are affected by the number of devices connected blah blah blah. Yes I understand that but when I haven't added any devices since switching services from Xfinity to Google and Xfinity only provided 400 mbps and Google is selling their service as Gig speed it should get better not worse! 5) I have my office device (for work) hard wired to the modem and still the speeds are hitting 600+ or - at best, ever. While this is decent connection speed, I've never seen anywhere close to 1000. The wireless devices in the house sometimes get max asymmetrical speeds of 80-120 and sometimes it pegs out at 9-12 mbps. Definitely NOT the hype that Google promises as Gigabit internet speeds. 6) I have inquired multiple times about getting a better modem from Google and their customer service simply isn't equipped to handle any issues themselves. They don't know how to resolve issues that aren't on the script in front of them. So I have also purchased a Wifi extender just to get the signal out to all the rooms in my house, but I still wait and watch as facebook posts won't load etc. Count me as dissatisfied.

Kristin Clark San Antonio, TX

Friendly but not so helpful. I signed up for google fiber as soon as it became available in my neighborhood with an installation date set for September 13th. The tech showed up a little later than the 10 am scheduled time but it’s ok. It’s normal. After changing out the wall mounts to their fiber input, the tech stated that we didn’t have a strong enough light reading and we could not set up until someone came out to work outside on our line. He packed up the router and equipment and assured us that either he or someone else would contact us later that day to let us know they were on the way back to install our internet equipment. Well, that never happened. When I called back at 5 pm I was told that our ticket that was created, was marked as complete, and that no one else had been scheduled to install our services. When he looked deeper into our file, the rep said that our reading was still too low and that he was completely unsure how this even happened at all! He offered a $50 credit on our account and scheduled us for a new appointment. The earliest appointment was 8 am September 17th though. So September 17th comes along. 8 o’clock. 9 o’clock. 10 o’clock.. nothing. So we call again. No appointment had been scheduled! I get off work that evening and call myself to get more information. Apparently our issue outside had not been resolved. It had been marked as ok. The advice offered to me by the rep was that I should have kept my old services on until the new ones were up and running. But this is after my walk inputs were REPLACED by google fibers inputs! So it’s not even possible to use the old service! So.. here I am on the 20th with a new appointment scheduled for the 24th just waiting. Yes I’m on a list to have services installed if an appointment time becomes available BUT the issue outside has still not been addressed! So if someone DOES show up nothing can be done! All this and I get a $50 credit. I am beyond frustrated with this company. I need strong service because of the type of work we do from home but is it all really worth it? Im not sure I’ll ever find out. Everyone is nice when I call but I need more. I need results and I need them soon. Unhappy and not even a customer yet.

Jillian Kansas City, MO

Ok so I’ll preface this with saying overall, google fibers speed has been fine. But I’ll tell a story that will paint a picture on their customer service. Back in May, a garage burned down in the alley around our block. The garage happened to be right next to the pole holing our cables above ground. We lost service. Act of god, no worries, just hoping no one was injured in the fire. They come a few days later and check our box (even though we told them about the fire), they say “well we have to rule out your network box first, it’s protocol”. Cool, whatever. They come, realize it’s the fire (weird) and day they’ll send out a crew to fix the cables outside within 72 hours. So by then we’re out of internet for over a week. They fix it, it goes out again days later. Because instead of hanging the wire above ground, they lay them on the ground across the alley, and guess what! A bobcat comes in to demolish what’s left of the burned garage. Ok, again not necessarily google fibers bad, but it would have been cool if they’d not laid fiber optic cables on a street that gets traffic. We wait again. Protocol again. Fixed. Out again about 2 weeks later. A large vehicle ran them over again to start rebuilding the burned structure. At this point we’re begging google fiber to hang the wires so this stops happening. 7 outages later we’re in September, out of Internet again and now they’re telling us WE should have been contacting the city or kcpl to have the pole replaced so that they can hang the wires! Ok cool, we’re calling the city, putting in requests with kcpl for a replacement pole. Fiber says they’ll go ahead and fix it again within a day and then come back and hang them when the pole is replaced. 2 more days go by, nothing fixed, we call, they say “oh no, we’ll come fix it AFTER the pole is replaced” which could be weeks for all we know! My partner is a real estate photographer so he needs to able to upload photos as soon as he’s home from work, and if he can’t, he has to go to a friends, or somewhere else that has fast internet to upload. Which means more driving (money) for him, plus less time for us to spend any time together after working all day. I’m mostly ranting because I have to vent about how absurd all of this is. I guess just be aware if you have some wild, random problem pop up like this, don’t expect it fixed for an entire season or more.

Kaya San Antonio, TX

We got GF about a week ago and already having problems. The connection and upload speed is the same as with Spectrum, nothing to brag about. For 3 days out of this week internet was patchy, and today it's mostly been down. 7 hours with no internet during a busy Monday, and now it's out again after 2 hours of working. Seriously considering going back to Spectrum. It was cheaper and more reliable.

Alex Raymore, MO

Google fiber has outstanding costumer service! We accidentally cut our fiber line while doing lawn care on a Saturday. My husband called immediately and they were at our house within 4 hours to resolve the issue.

Lindsey Andersen Provo, UT

Super fast and super free - or get even faster for a small cost? Sounds great to me! I was sad to move out of the covered area! Their customer service was way better than any other internet company.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I would not recommend getting the free version, it is incredibly slow and does not support many devices being on it without it not working completely. I personally use Fiber 100 and it's pretty good. Those in my household combined have about 16 devices running on it. Rarely experience any lag, even if we each are streaming HD video, it hasn't slowed down on us. Customer service is really helpful, unless you need a technician to come out because that will take forever.

Jonny Hancock Draper, UT

I have Google Fiber at my apartment and so far it's been great. The internet is fast and I have never had any problems streaming or anything. Much better than the Comcast service that I had at my last apartment.

Kylie Howes Provo, UT

Google fiber is a great wifi service, and they sometimes will offer discounts for students depending on your college/university, which has been a lifesaver for me. The coverage usually works pretty well, and doesn't disconnect very often, although that will occasionally happen.

Miles Strother American Fork, UT

We get Google Fiber through our apartment complex , and it's definitely the fastest internet I've ever had. While it is a bit pricier, I believe it's definitely worth getting. In over a year and a half, we've only had one half-day of issues.

Krystal Taylor Pleasant Grove, UT

Absolutely loved their service. Their product was top notch. Occasionally my roommates might complain about the speed, but we were using the FREE version, and I never had any issues with it. The customer service was great, they were very helpful whenever we called.

Benjamin Walbrecht Provo, UT

Google fiber is a great option if it’s supplied in your area. I have the free package, but they allow you to upgrade to the 100 or the 1000 package for days at a time and prorate it. If I need fast internet for a day, I just pay the 2 bucks for that day and then cancel the next day.

Kyle Gardner Provo, UT

At my apartment complex we have the free basic Google fiber internet. For being free, it is excellent internet that is usually suffieny for watching youtube, surfing the web, or doing any homework online. If you are a big streamer or gamer then it probably won't be suffient and you'll need to get the upgraded internet services. My roommates often feel frustrated by the internet speeds when they are gaming, but over all it is great free internet.

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

I had google fiber in Provo for several years and it was the best! I NEVER had any problems with the internet bugging out, and the speed was incredibly fast. It was the absolute best. I wish the town where I currently live had Google FIber!

Jacob Shaner

Very good internet connection and great customer service. The free package is a good speed, and the next up is quite the jump from free. I’m surprised they don’t have a $10 a month option. The next package up would definitely be worth the price if I needed that much speed.

Anne Sainsbury Salt Lake City, UT

I have used Google Fiber for the past three years, and it's been free, so I'd say great service! Yes the internet has been slow at times, but it's been free so no complaints! :) Plus their customer service is great whenever I've needed help!

Brody B Orem, UT

About as fast as you can get. The price is comparable to lesser services and the speed blows others away. If you have Google Fiber available in your area it should be a no brainer. Customer service and installation are also great! 5 Stars!

Kymberlee Yack Orem, UT

Honestly this is the fastest internet I've ever had at the cheapest price. The technician came in and was professional. He also cleaned up my cable that was hanging out of window that Spectrum wouldn't fix. I would recommend Google Fiber over anyone and I've had them all.

Joshua Clement Provo, UT

I know this isn't available everywhere, but where it is, it is amazing. They have a variety of options from free basic internet to complete plans with tv and special subscriptions included. They also make it easy to upgrade and downgrade based on needs

Lesa Burgess Pleasant Grove, UT

FAST!!! Worth every penny. I love Google Fiber and feel really lucky to be able to have used it while living in the Provo, Utah area. The download speeds are remarkable & it's every streamer, gamer & downloaders dream internet provider! My only complaint is I'd like to have it in more areas because if I move to a near by city, I'm not guaranteed to receive the service which will bum me out!

Mallory Millett Lindon, UT

I have the free student google fiber plan for my apartment in Provo. Most of the time, it is really efficient and the customer service representatives are very easy to work with. Every once in a while, when all three of my roomates are home and streaming something on the internet, it gets a little slow, but I'm sure the more expensive, faster plans would fix that.

Caloway Salt Lake City, UT

I used Google Fiber for a few months and wasn't too pleased with it. The internet speed was slow and often times didn't work. It was free so I guess I got what I paid for.

Roe Jo Austin, TX

I have had Google Fiber for at least a month, and I am already complaining. After a week, I noticed unusual activity. I used a google a/c to setup my service but while using the internet I accessed my "hotmail account". In doing so, someone changed my settings on the account which forced me to access my settings by making changes. I am unable to receive emails in my "hotmail account" that I have had for years. I used my "hotmail account" for business purposes. Nevertheless, I have had to communicate with my job that I have to change my email address which is not something people normally have to do. It is unprofessional!!! I contacted Google Fiber; they suggested that I change my password. I changed it. The interruptions and sabotage continued. They have impeded upon my Instagram account making it an unpleasant experience (scrolling interruptions and unable to access my settings to make my a/c private). They are listening to my background-my conversations in my home. Again, I contacted Google Fiber to report the findings (disrespect and unprofessionalism). They tell me again that they cannot access my device. Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They suggested that I restart my laptop by resetting it. I did it losing valuable information for them to persist in manipulating my device! I set all my accounts up again on my device. For my google a/cs I set up 2 step verification changing the back up emails from "hotmail" to "gmail" and "yahoo" and again they accessed my device. After a week, I just so happened to check my settings on both gmail a/cs and discovered that the back-up email addresses were changed from my "yahoo" email address back to my "hotmail" a/c. All I could say is "UNBELIEVABLE"! I did not receive any notifications that they were changed; however, when I changed them back I received notifications for both accounts. Tonight, I posted several comments making this complaint known on Instagram actually identifying Google Fiber as the problem and my screen darkened w/a flash. Earlier today, I visited with my daughter while she was face timing and laughed with the people she was talking to and she complained that her device blackened. During the complications with my "hotmail account" they forced me to be in a position where I could not access my account preventing me from receiving codes to my back up gmail accounts. They did not know that I had a 3rd a/c that I absolutely do not use, but for the purpose to reenter an account. I used it to access my "hotmail account". After they saw that I was able to access it then they took it a step further to hinder access after that. While I was in my "yahoo" account I deleted "999 emails" I logged off and reentered the account to discover that those very same emails were placed back into my "inbox". Unbelievable! I am at a point to where I am thinking about getting spectrum b/c these acts are vicious and disgraceful. Every time a Google Fiber representative would access my device before my initial complaint a I would click on an app. When I click on this particular app a Google Fiber page or banner would pop open and not the app that I intended. I print screen it and during my 2nd complain I explained the it to the representative and they denied it. They didn't trying to investigate they immediately denied my concerns. At this point, Google Fiber does not deserve "a" star!!!!!!!! But I'm required to select in order to submit my complaint.

Shannon Kenny Los Angeles, CA

The billing is ridiculous all the way around! Got my service and they talked me into getting the Google 1000 even tho I told them I only had two phones in the house that we would be using wifi on and I'd prefer to pay the $10 and have free internet that comes with the apartment complex I moved into. I had no TVs no computers no tablets just 2 phones that my daughter and i would use after school/work and still they insisted so after one month and being charged $112 when I was told it would be way less I went down to the free version which was more then fine for our two phones and i had a $47 credit on my account that they wont give back til you cancel service or use it with them so then we ended up moving and I cancelled my service and boxed up my Google box. They said in 3 days I'd be e-mailed a shipping label to send the box back as the Google stores are closed due to covid-19 I've yet to recieve an e-mail with the label and if it's not returned by a certain date like within 4 weeks... they charge your card $200 so I called Google again today to tell them and the lady said she's e-mailing me the label right then again.... still nothing. Oh and about my credit they say once everything is returned and the next billing cycle my $47 dollars will be credited back to my card?? Why wait til the next billing cycle a month away to return my credit, I've cancelled my service I was on the free plan? Anyways I'm wondering when and if I'll get my e-mail with the label to send back the box it seems they are not wanting me to get that label as to charge me the $200. I don't want the box it does not work where I've moved to and I'm curious if I'll ever see my 47 bucks too. I dont like dishonest companies. I paid my bill when it was due and when I cancelled I have credit so why not put that money back on my card just as fast as they took the money for the bill off my card instead of making me wait over a month to recieve it. Getting my money back isn't that big a deal I just cant believe how they make you jump through hoops for your own money and the label e-mail not arriving is starting to scare me I cant afford for them to take $200 dollars out of my account for something I cant even use anyways! Google please e-mail my label so I can send the items back I have the original box plus EVERYTHING that came in it. The only reason why it's not gonna get returned is because they will not e-mail me my return label. Its sitting by the door on my table ready to go. I have a bad feeling about this tho!