Headquartered in Sunrise, Florida, TotalProtect Home Warranty prides itself on high customer satisfaction with the mantra of "predictable, honest coverage." The company's goal is to eradicate any confusion about what services are covered and to be as open and accessible as possible.

#1 Landmark Home Warranty chevron_right
#2 Choice Home Warranty chevron_right
3.4
#3 The Home Service Club chevron_right
4.8

The Good

• 180-day guarantee
  • 24/7 service line
  • Versatile service plans

180-Day Guarantee

When a technician representing TotalProtect comes to repair an appliance at your home, that appliance is guaranteed for the next 180 days. This means that if an appliance has the same problem within six months, it can be repaired again for free. This is a substantial promise, especially compared to other companies we've seen that will charge the standard service fee regardless if that appliance has recently been repaired.

24/7 Service Line

Customer representatives from TotalProtect are available twenty-four hours a day, all year long. This can provide peace of mind for situations such as those midnight appliance emergencies.

Versatile Service Plans

TotalProtect offers three different plans: an Appliances Plan, a Systems Plan, or a Combo Plan which offers everything from both the Appliances and Systems plans. Deductible fees are also adjustable.

The Bad

• Unclear for real estate professionals

Unclear for Real Estate Professionals

TotalProtect seems to have plans geared toward casual home owners that aren't working through a real estate professional. But for a real estate professional looking for special plans regarding buying and selling a home, there isn't much information.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

The Bottom Line

TotalProtect Home Warranty offers an array of services for customers with lots of upfront information and flexible pricing. The 180-Day Guarantee on repairs is also attractive and demonstrates a caliber of high customer service. Although warranty plans for real estate professionals are a little unclear, TotalProtect's compatibility with the Prism app and 24/7 call center services also scores high marks for us. However, TotalProtect is unclear about warranty plans for real estate professionals, and the company has mostly negative consumer reviews, giving the company a one and a half review star rating. Overall, we recommend doing more research and going with a home warranty company that has better consumer reviews.

View Best Home Warranty Companies

1.4

Jeffrey Stahl
October 14th, 2019 Northridge, CA DETAILS

The only reason I gave it one star is because there was no option for zero stars. I've been with Total Protect for several years, with only one or two previous reasons for repairs. However, approximately 2 months ago, I had reason to call regarding a washing machine and water freezing at the bottom of my referigerator. This process took over 2 months to resolve. The 1st service provider sent to my home, 'Appliance Repair' turned out to be a husband/wife working out of an apartment in Glendale, CA. They dont have a website I can find, and no repair shop. The husband attempted to repair the hot water inlet of my washing machine by using pliers to turn off the hot water valve from the wall. He, by doing this, caused a leak in the valve and then denied doing it. He continued to work on this while I was on the phone talking to Total Protect. He then exited and I noted the water had stopped leaking, making me think he fixed it. He didn't tell me he had merely turned it off then reported it to Total Protect as a faulty valve that was pre-existing. He looked into my freezer and made the command decision that he needed parts to fix both appliances. No further communication. Total Protect then advised me a week later that the fridge claim was denied as preventative maintanence was the cause. A clogged filter on the back of the fridge was the cause. Since the repairman didnt look at the back of the fridge, I am not sure how this was determined. I advised TP that I did not want this company back in my home, and they refused to allow a new company. 20 minutes of back and forth with 'Appliance Repair' (the wife/office manager) was about as unproductive as it could be. After hanging up on this extremely rude individual, TP finally allowed me another company. A plumber was required to fix my leaky valve and the new company PACE, was wonderful. At least 6 different calls to TP to get thing resolved, notifications, and status updates and it took over 2 months to get this fixed. Supervisors are not readily available to speak with and require the agent to email them and have them respond at a later date. The supervisor in effect, blew me off and did absolutely zero to make the situation better. Listened and stated she would 'note' my complaints about the process, but nothing to help resolve the problem. The agents I spoke with were polite for the most part but unable to make any decisions without a 2 or 3 day process of emailing a supervisor. I have never been so dissatisfied with an experience. Please, do not use this company. I am moving to First American.

Jackie
September 16th, 2019 Bloomfield, NJ DETAILS

We wanted peace of mind for our appliances and decided to try TotalProtect for insurance. Just recently our hot water heater completely broke. When the plumber assigned to our case came out he immediately saw we needed to get a replacement. He got them to order the replacement and they said the hot water heater would be in within 24-48 hours but since this was a Thursday night it might not come until Monday. This was fine as we understand things like this happen. Unfortunately when I called the plumber on Monday to see if the unit came in he said no and to call TotalProtect to find out where it was. Customer service said that it was slated to come in the following day and the plumber would call me when it came in. I did not hear anything from the plumber on Tuesday when the unit was supposed to come in so I called him on Wednesday and was told the unit was sent back due to it being damaged. He told me I had to call TotalProtect about it and when I did they said they didn't know that happened and canceled the order and ordered a new one. Again they said it would be in within 24-48 hours. When I called the plumber both Thursday and Friday and there was still no hot water heater. So on Saturday we called TotalProtect and after two hours of angry dialog and talking to numerous supervisors they said they couldn't help us until Monday and they only gave us two options: either wait for the hot water heater to arrive and the plumber to call us to set up an install date or file a claims check and get that. They did not care we were a week and a half without hot water and they would not do anything to help us. So we decided to get the claims check. They also have the audacity to take out money from the claims check for a restocking and return fee of the unit as it was delivered (even though no one told us the heater came in). Scam. This whole thing is a scam and TERRIBLE customer service (the ladies we spoke to were nice but the policies they are required to follow are terrible and the company should be embarrassed that this is how they treat paying customers).

Kolleen
May 3rd, 2019 Tacoma, WA DETAILS

Horrible service! My dishwasher broke motor went out. Sears service man came out fixed the knob. The knob was not the problem. You could clearly smell the motor had burned out. They ordered the motor one week later they came back. They put the motor in but the knob was not working correctly. They made another appointment never showed up or called. The repairs were over $500.00 the dishwasher was under $300.00. Don't waist your time this company is a joke. Still waiting for it to be fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crankshaft
March 22nd, 2019 Shreveport, LA DETAILS

I find MOST home warranty's have a lot of hidden things. I tried total protect for several years. When the AC went out they would not approve repairs for 3 weeks. Even the repair man tried to help. Finally did the repairs as he recommended. Total repair cost me $700.00 Then the garage door opener failed for the second time. First time I had to show the Sears repair man how to install the Mother Board. On second failure there was NO one in or near Shreveport, La that would work on it for them. I purchased a new one and installed it myself. They would not reimburse me for what I spent. Cancelled the Total Protect and took out Choice home warranty. I do not think they are going to pay for repairs for fan motor was suppose to be a 1/8 hp and someone had changed it out to a 1/4 hp

steve robbins
March 8th, 2019 Stoughton, MA DETAILS

after putting in claim to fix dishwasher door repairman came said it needed a part. He came said could not fix would order new door. I followed up said they would escalate order. followed up this and the person candy it was not covered. asked to speak to supervisor told non available nice way to do busy she said one would call me back never heard from if you cannot repaired it would be replaced your policy will contact channel 7 investigated reporter if not resolved I guess you like my money but will not fix problem very poor customer relations

Larry
March 8th, 2019 Bellingham, MA DETAILS

Paying $69.00 per month and a $125.00 service charge. Our water heater failed. Called TotalProtect right away and received a claim#. It took 3 (THATS CORRECT)3 weeks to get TOTALPROTECT to send a plumber to our home. At that time I paid the plumber a $125.00 service charge. We waited another 2 (THATS CORRECT) 2 weeks to get the water heater replaced. Thats 5 weeks and repeated phone calls to TOTALPROTECT. Was told its "under review" "waiting for water heater info from plumber" "has been ordered" "has been shipped". BALONEY. If you want REASONABLE service and repair time GO TO ANOTHER PROVIDER. A TOTAL nightmare by TOTALPROTECT

Kathleen Gibbons
August 27th, 2018 Henderson, NV DETAILS

Kathleen Gibbons, Henderson Nevada Aug 24, 2018 I have just read several depressing reviews regarding claims and customer service.. HOWEVER I must live in the right place with the best providers. I called regarding my A/C late Tuesday August 21. By Thursday August 23 my A/C was back in business. The company's name is Controlled Comfort and the tech's name is Jared. I was called that he was running late (not surprising in Las Vegas - A/C's seem to fail in 112 degree heat). To my surprise I got a call from Jared at 8:30 at night asking if I still wanted him to come this late! He had worked a full day but wanted to finish this last job. I was so grateful. Even at 8:30 the temp still was about 100. I call that GREAT customer service.

Olin Schocket
August 21st, 2018 Scottsdale, AZ DETAILS

This company is a total fraud. I have been without AC in Arizona since July 24th. They sent out a service provider on 7/24 who diagnosed the AC needed a new compressor and blower motor. Ten days later they said they had to diagnose the AC again. Now on 8/20 they claim they have to diagnose the problem again. They just want to delay doing anything in hopes that the customer will get so frustrated that they will repair the appliance on their own. Customer service is nasty and will hang up or disconnect you. There is nothing good about this company. Save your money as they are a total fraud.

Vivre
August 17th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

Received a letter claiming they are increasing the deductible by $25 and premium by $2.00. Telephoned them, the customer services is so bad, they keep giving us the run around. We called 1-800-474-4047 and spoke with a Stefan who terribly rude. Then spoke to a lady who refused to verify the actual name of the company we pay. They also refused to provide a physical street address for Total Home Protect (or whatever this name is suppose to be). There are too many middle men with these services. Sadly, when we call for services, they send people who will not provide the customer a copy of the invoice to know what the tech/servicer billed them. BUYER BEWARE!!! Home warranty services are rip offs for construction contractors, builders, and more.

Traci
August 2nd, 2018 Purcell, OK DETAILS

This is the worst company! I cannot believe they are in business. First they told me they did not have service providers in my area....of course this was when I filed a claim, NOT WHEN I SIGNED UP FOR THEIR SERVICE. They did not provide someone anyone to look at my water heater, i replaced it myself and they said they would reimburse....NOPE they didn't! Then I filed a claim on my air conditioner....all accessible duct work covered NOPE! Duct work in the attack is apparently not accessible! When they sent someone to look at the AC I paid my deductible of $125 they claim they paid a claim that the AC people did work NOPE I was there the whole time they did NOTHING! I tried to cancel my contract I had to pay them $130 because they said they paid a claim. Nothing was done for me for anything! LEGAL THEFT!!!!! I have never been so disgusted with a company in my life!!!!

Stephen Kaszubinski
July 11th, 2018 New Bern, NC DETAILS

Had a problem with my geothermal heating/cooling system. Called to have it fixed. Denied. Called customer service. I called to speak with someone to explain why it was denied. I was told that someone would contact me in 24 to 48 hours to explain why. After 289 hours I called to cancel my policy. I would recommend that you select a different company if you are thinking of purchasing this type of coverage.

antoinette
June 11th, 2018 Panama City Beach, FL DETAILS

I was with total protect many years. My deductible went from 75.00 to 125.00, thats not the half of it!!! Every time I needed something fixed or replaced ,like my kitchen faucet, I was told NOT covered. I paid out of pocket, just to get it done. My worst experience ( a nightmare) was i had a leak i the master bedroom closet. They sent a (plumber)?? I told him the closet backed up to the guest bathroom, He checked the toilet & said there was no leak! I took him to my closet & had him walk on the carpet ,it was squisky wet ,I told him there were pipes in the wall, he said that was not his job ,to locate the leak. I called total protect and asked them to send another plumber. By the way I had to pay my deductible to the first one who came out and did nothing. The next guy told me they did not locate leaks, I should hire a leak finder?? ok now thats two deductibles. I hired a leakfinder for 250.00 called total protect again , this time i was told i was not covered because the pipe was under the floor. I had to pay the total cost plus parts, on top of what they charged me. Icing on cake, they raised my deductible 50.00, I have cancelled this policy and thay are still charging my credit card. Bottom line they are VERY quick to TAKE your money, but will not do what was promised when you need them I would give them a minus five stars if I could

Ruben Bamburg
April 9th, 2018 Shreveport, LA DETAILS

On April 16, 2017 placed claim for AC Turns out low on Freon. Prompt response. Added lots of Freon and leak. Worked fine for a while. Then compressor started shutting off for 30 minutes at a time. Called repairman, Not Total Protect, and he informed me that if he came out and no problem at that time I would get am service charge anyway. On about March 28, 2018 placed a claim for AC not working. Total set me up with a different repair company. Was not able to cone out until April 2, 2018. Found the problem right off. Said he would contact parent Company Cross Country and would get back with me. Never did, Finally made contact today, April 6, 2018, and he advised me to contact Total as they had not returned his call. Total put me thru to customer service that you could not understand or hear. This one finally hung up. Called back with the same luck.. On 3rd try I got a lady that I could hear and understand. She made me feel better, said they should have responded in 24 hrs. Said I should get a solution by today or Monday. 5:40PM and still waiting

Gwendolyn McMillan
April 2nd, 2018 Shirley, NY DETAILS

I have had total protect for about 5 years. i have not encountered any problems with them. they replaced my indirect oil hot water heater. I had a choice of getting the $1500 or them doing the work. I chose the work to be done. I did have to pay $327 out of pocket to have an expansion tank replaced on my heating system and have one installed on the water heater. Since I worked for a heating and plumbing company, I know the expansion tanks were not covered. I get my 4 free inspections every year. they are heating/ac, electrical, plumbing and appliance checks. They have gone up on the deductible $40 but since I am satisfied with them and have tried another company(Choice Warranty) I am cancelling the latter and keeping total protect. Even though the deductible is $60 less for Choice, parts were not covered for my heating system that Total protect covers. Total protect has also replaced my toilet and 2 faucets with me just paying the deductible. When I place the problem online, my response was in 15-20 mins. They gave me the info to call a company and set up the appointment. There was one time when the company did not call me back, so I called Total protect and they gave me a different company. I have also requested the same company. I am happy with Total Protect.

Jim
March 26th, 2018 Longwood, FL DETAILS

This is the worst Home Warranty that I have ever had. Sent repair men who are not capable of doing the job. This year alone they failed twice to send a plumber since January. No calls or indication what was going on. I hired my own and paid for it. Did it again in March with a minor repair to a trash compactor switch. Stay as far away from this company as possible. They refused to give me a refund for the past several months when I had no coverage at all from them. Despite canceling them they still attempt to Bill me. A terrible company.

Loretta Matthews
February 21st, 2018 Villa Rica, GA DETAILS

Worst Service ever! !! 50 minute wait time. Took two and a half months from the first call until the repair was completed. A lot of calls, and frustration in between. Did not honor call -back agreement. Wanted additional 125. 00 for service call.

Dwayne Williamson
January 19th, 2018 Summerville, SC DETAILS

Very long hold times, when you do get someone on the line they give different stories everytime. Requests for supervisor to return calls are never answered. Personnel answering phones refuse to give a last name or ID number. After having this policy for many years i tried to have my heating system repaired, the repair person states it is too old and too broken to repair. Total protect just gives a reimbursement, total cost for system is 3400.00, they only cover 2051.00 Total protect--repair or replace--that is a joke. Deductible 125.00 and then whatever they want to cover you mean.

Nicholas
November 8th, 2017 Mount Vernon, NY DETAILS

Called for service and had to wait 50 mins to talk to someone and then they gave me a # to Empire Heat and Cooling in the Bx,NY. Which no one answers and the mailbox is full.

Debbie Wojdac
November 6th, 2017 Stevens Point, WI DETAILS

I first tried to make a claim. The hold time for the first call was 45 minutes (still no answer). Called back and was on hold for another 2 hours (still no answer). This company should be shut down. The WORST customer service I have ever experienced. Then I called back 1 week later to get a proof of coverage because I am now with another home warranty company and you guessed it on hold for another hour and holding.....

Allie and Janie Pogue
August 10th, 2017

Terrible service-have had no refrigerator for 2 months-washing machine out for three weeks,tell you one story one day-next day something different-can get no call backs-supervisor tells you something then never calls back-if you call it will not be returned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Allie Pogue-Baton rouge.La.