Protect America

verified

Protect America

verified
Offers include free Protect America equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, and the company provides free equipment with its security services, including a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors.

With an exceptionally low monthly monitoring fee, free equipment, and no upfront fees, Protect America is the leading home security company in the industry. At an 8.9/10 overall score in our ranking of Home Security Companies and a 4.5-star rating from consumers, Protect America is one of the most trusted and high-quality security solutions we've seen. Read the company highlights and see Protect America reviews from real consumers below.

The Good

• Protect America Cost
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry
  • Overwhelmingly Positive Protect America Reviews

Protect America Cost

Low-cost Monthly Monitoring, Starting at $19.99

Protect America is an alarm company that beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. Protect America's home security cost starts at $19.99/month. This includes 24/7 monitoring, no installation or equipment fees, a price match guarantee, and a locked-in rate. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month.

The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only. $41.99/month for added features and cellular monitoring is still a competitive price and one of the most affordable offers out there.

Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment cost is absolutely free and included with most of its packages is:

• One control panel
  • Three door and window sensors
  • One motion detector

The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less). Protect America equipment cost is completely free and is known for its high quality, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you typically shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone. Here is a breakdown of Protect America's home automation options:

Protect America Mobile App

Protect America has a mobile app that gives you control of your home security system from anywhere. From monitoring your entry points and controlling your appliances (garage door, thermostat, lights, & other appliances) to getting 24/7 access to live video of your home, you can stay apprised of your home security at all times and manage your security system with ease. Lastly, the app gives you notifications of any security alerts you need to be aware of, such as suspicious activity or system malfunction.

August Smart Lock Pro

The August Lock is a smart lock you can control and monitor from anywhere at any time with the Protect America app. The door lock works with single cylinder deadbolts and similar to other Protect America security equipment, you can easily install it yourself within minutes.

With Protect America's door sensor and smart door lock, you never have to worry about someone entering your home through the door without you knowing, and you don't have to panic when you forget to lock the door; you can track any activity at your doorstep and remotely lock and secure your door immediately with the Protect America app. This also means you don't have to carry around a home key because you have access to keyless entry with your smart lock.

The August Smart Lock Pro is also compatible with Siri, Alexa, and the Google Assistant, so you can use any of these devices to control your smart lock that way if you prefer. Additionally, the August Lock works with Z-Wave Plus systems as well as Bluetooth.

Linear Garage Door Controller

Through the use of your Protect America app or your security system panel, you can remotely open and close your sectional garage door. This makes it simple to come and go quickly and ensures you can close or open the garage door if you need to while away from home. Your home never has to be left unprotected.

Z-Wave Light & Appliance Module

The Z-Wave module allows you to turn the lights on and off throughout your home as well as gives you the capability to dim them. You can do this through the Protect America app or through a web browser. This wireless control gives your home automation more functionality and increased customization.

Amazon Echo Dot Integration

Protect America's home security system is compatible with the Amazon Echo Dot, which enables you to control your Protect America home automation features with the use of your Amazon Echo. Few home security companies provide such compatibility and universality when it comes to integrating existing home automation equipment with new home security equipment provided by the company.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector.

Protect America's alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America has 24/7 live video monitoring for their security cameras. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends. Read Protect America security reviews below to see what customers have to say about video monitoring capabilities.

Almost 30 Years of Experience in the Home Security Industry

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample amounts of experience in alarm systems and burglar & theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands. Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

Overwhelmingly Positive Protect America Reviews

Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, awarding them a 4.5-star home security rating on BestCompany.com. Reaching nearly 2,000 in quantity, Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, and affordable prices. Satisfactory Protect America reviews provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its customers. Protect America users are clearly impressed and happy with its products and services.

The Bad

• 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company for some people is its 36-month contract. However, lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry. A somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment as Protect America does. Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the remaining balance. However, this isn't uncommon with home security companies and Protect America offers an extremely low monthly monitoring fee with no upfront fees or equipment costs. With this in mind, the long-term contract and cancellation terms may not be a problem.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as extensive home automation features. If you are not interested in signing a two-year contract, Protect America may not be the best fit. However, contracts are not unusual for home security companies and Protect America prices iare one of the most affordable security solutions out there. Also, you may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after reading the overwhelmingly positive Protect America reviews (shown below).

Protect America security reviews indicate the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for the price, customer service, and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

4.1

James Strassburg
August 23rd, 2018 Sanford, NC

I never received a quote from Protect America. They want a sales person to call and I only wanted a base price. Without accepting a phone interview price of service wasn’t received

Aug 23, 2018

Hey James, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we’re always looking for ways to improve based on valuable customer insight. We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Kathryn Mitchell
August 23rd, 2018 Madison, TN DETAILS

Everyone that I have talked with have been very helpful and informative.

MARVIN HAROLD
August 22nd, 2018 Clarksburg, WV

Quick, simple, done. Love it. Very easy installation. Very simple system test and activation.

Josh Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Professional company! Great to work with

Prashant
August 20th, 2018 Coralville, IA DETAILS

Based on reviews and ratings, I decided to become a Protect America customer and signed up. But there are many misconceptions in these reviews. Here is my brief experience: 1. No Equipment cost - I had discussed my home in detail with the agent and based on that he suggested the equipment. There ‘IS’ a cost to equipment which they put as upfront cost (200-500$ depending on what you expect) and eventually my equipment was 3 window sensors short than what initial agent had suggested. So I ‘PAID’ again to get the window sensors. 2. Monthly fee and discounts - For a monthly fee, I was quoted 49.99$ and there was an ongoing discount of 20% off for monthly costs (available as per website). When I asked for that this cost is INCLUDING the discount. So probably their costs are > 62$, if I believe that agent gave me any discount (which also I doubt). 3. Installation - The worst part, if you do not have hours and hours to deal with people (I would suggest paying 99$ to other security companies like ADT as they give you back 100$ gift card if you choose ADT pulse or other programs). Even when you are paying for the equipment, they send you ‘used’ equipment (my garage door opener had attached Velcro and had missing part and couldn’t be connected to my account because of some technical issue which couldn’t be handled on a weekend). The expert agent agreed that it ‘may’ have been a returned equipment sent to you (which I am sure looking at it). Also, when you do partial installs (because you do not have 5-6 hours in stretch) and ask them for a call back the next day at 9 AM CST, no one calls in time. One day I waited till 9:40 and called myself and other day someone called at 11 AM. So they do not value your time too. So, if you think that your time has a value (worth > installation costs asked by other companies, 99$), would strongly suggest to go for some other company that values time and has a cost effective installation. My conclusion – I still am in 30 days of my return back guarantee and despite having spent 6-8 hours, I still couldn’t get things completely installed (because of missing parts and inability to register at their end). Hence, I think it is better to return it to prevent long-term frustration and high monthly fee as well as contracts (there are many that have no contracts and at this price provide better service). Since this company is rated as one of good ones, I really worry about dealing other companies (which are rated less than them) but I know of my experience with them for sure but am willing to give others a try.

Aug 20, 2018

Hey Prashant, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. At Protect America we are always looking for ways to improve using valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Jim Metoyer
August 17th, 2018 Sycamore, IL

Cary walked me through the installation process without a hitch. The app is simple and easy to navigate.

Rich Burdick
August 17th, 2018 Oakdale, CT DETAILS

Very high pressure to give my credit card to schedule a visit to my home. I was ready to have the install done that day but I was not giving my credit card for a consult. They lost a customer. Also tried to tell me that their system had a lifetime warranty that the locals did not offer but they were hiding the cost in the monthly monitoring.

Aug 16, 2018

Hey Rich, we’re sorry to hear that you felt pressured. At Protect America our main goal is to educate and protect. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Shelley
August 14th, 2018 Kirksville, MO DETAILS

very informative customer service and installation handled very professionally. Products arrived quickly and easy to DIY

Kenneth Connor
August 13th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

They ranked high in the research we didi before purchasing a Protect America security system. We like the fact that we could and did install the system ourselves. I wish PA would proactivly test our system on a monthly basis and contact us with feedback after the testing. PA does not seem "trigger happy" about calling us when we briefly set-off our alarm accidently...but it is comforting when we get a call after setting of the alarm and not shutting it down immediately/fast enough.

Premkumar Vummidi Giridhar
August 13th, 2018 Mason, OH DETAILS

They gave an offer to upgrade when signing my contact which i did not take it at that time. But later when I called and told them about the offer and asked for an upgrade they went back and checked my records and told the offer was not made to me. There is no reason for me to lie for saving some little bucks but felt very bad when i was told that there is no offer made in the records

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Premkumar, we’re sorry to hear about your situation. At protect America we strive to be as sincere and reliable as possible. If you’d like, feel free to DM us with additional details so that we may assist you. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Aquilla Cain
August 13th, 2018 Salisbury, MD DETAILS

When, my alarm went off I was not able to reach them, they told me I could reach them 24/7, I left messages and no one returned my call.

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Aquilla, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we try to be as receptive and informative as possible. Could you please DM us the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff
August 13th, 2018 Ladson, SC DETAILS

There interface with Alexa doesn't work for lots of people, me included..look it up

Chinonso Ezike
August 13th, 2018 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS

I got them because i thought they are good and less expensive than ADT. I live ADT

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Chinonso, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. At Protect America we are always looking for ways to improve ourselves through valuable customer insight. Thanks, and please let us know if you have any question.

Anthony
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

They are good at helping out when needed

Patty
August 13th, 2018 Hermitage, TN DETAILS

Easy set up and the app for use when away from home to arm and disarm.

Jeff in The Villagges
August 13th, 2018 Lady Lake, FL DETAILS

The overall value of the equipment and service is excellent. The are that keeps me from giving them a 5 is the associated software applications. Neither the mobile app or PC application has the ability to "do it all". Some task can only be completed in one of the applications. The division of when you need to which app is not clearly defined and can lead to frustration. The Customer Service people can help you figure things out. The end user has no access to the documentation they have.

Linus Tibui
August 13th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Rapid response to an accidental trigger Is an indication of the efficiency of the system

Stephen Messner
August 13th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Price and equipment they offer for the price.

Ishmaila Njie
August 13th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Consider the value of customers and willing to protect everything of your stuff

George
August 13th, 2018 Mt. Dora, FL DETAILS

Meets all our security needs at a reasonable price.

Wes Barter

Would be a 5 excepy mobile app is weak compared to alarm.com

Nicholas Weber
August 13th, 2018 Savannah, GA DETAILS

Great customer service, easy install and quick response to alarms

Janice Polisky
August 13th, 2018 Newport News, VA DETAILS

Easy install,good customer service, devices work well

Robin
August 13th, 2018 Thomaston, GA DETAILS

Service is great. Product supplied to stick alarm objects on doors, windows, and walls awful!

Tiffanni Starling
August 13th, 2018 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

It's too expensive for the equipment provided

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Tiffanni, we’re sorry to hear that you feel like our equipment is too expensive. At Protect America we strive to offer high quality security equipment at the best price. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

ONeil Torres
August 13th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

Installation was simple, they were very helpful when I ran into any problems, and pricing was upfront. No hidden costs.

Dan Crowley
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Not overly impressed,I was not given what I was told. System works ok cell phone fair to good at best.

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Dan, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive what you were told. At Protect America we strive to be as transparent and informative as possible. If you’d like, could you DM us with some additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Deron
August 13th, 2018 Gwynn Oak, MD DETAILS

Great service. Wasn't happy that the price was for a land line but the wifi connection was more.

Penny
August 13th, 2018 Hemet, CA DETAILS

The only reason I gave them a 4 instead of 5 is you have to do all of the installation on your own while someone waits with you on the phone the entire time. It is easy to install but I'd rather have someone do the installation and not have to do it myself.

Tim
August 13th, 2018 Bullhead City, AZ DETAILS

Difficult to contact; monthly communication and system test

Aug 13, 2018

Hey Tim, we’re sorry to hear that you had trouble contacting us. At Protect America we strive to make it as easy to contact us as possible. If you’d like, feel free to DM us with additional details so that we may reach out and assist you with this issue.

Mello
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Easily accessible, system is user friendly

Donald Wheeler
August 15th, 2018 Meridian, MS

Have set up a in home service for me...Great and thank you.

B J
August 13th, 2018 Richmond, VA DETAILS

I don't like the service, they never have anyone to assist. At this time I am paying for something that is no use to me and I will be making a higher complaint out side of this company.

Aug 13, 2018

Hey BJ, we’re sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with our service. At Protect America we strive to be as responsive and helpful as possible. If you’d like, could you please DM us with additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Mike G.
August 13th, 2018 Utica, MI

Excellent service from Jarrett, he explained procedure and expectations very clearly and in terms which produced trust.

Chuck
August 13th, 2018 Lenoir, NC DETAILS

I had no problem with installation. Customer service is fast and very helpful. I have no issue recommending this company.

Vincent Titara
August 7th, 2018 Largo, FL DETAILS

Protect America is phenomenal. They are so friendly and helpful and the system was so easy to install. I’ve had mine for over a year now and I just absolutely love it. And might I add, the price point is beyond excellent for the amazing quality of service that they give you.

F. Lopez
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

When I contacted them about the equiptmet, i received bad customer service, and was suggested to buy my own tape when i have had their service less than a year.

Aug 07, 2018

Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our customer service. At Protect America we strive to treat our customers with care and as part of the family! If you’d like, could you DM us with additional details so that we may assist you with this issue? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Ralph
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

`the system never installed only activated

Aug 07, 2018

Hey Ralph, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we strive to make our installation process as easy and straightforward as possible. Could you DM us with additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Unsatisfied Customer
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service does not respond to inquiry. Was promised a certain amount of equipment to sign up for service but did not get the equipment once contract was signed.

Aug 07, 2018

Hi there, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we strive to be as responsive as possible. If you’d like, could you please DM us with additional details so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Thomas
August 6th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Had to install the system myself. Being an electrician this was not a problem. Some may have difficulty in doing this installation.

Chuck
August 6th, 2018 Hilliard, OH DETAILS

Ease of installation , customer service is excellent.

KD
August 6th, 2018 Danville, KY DETAILS

A three year contract is way too long. Other than that, Protect America is not any better than other good services.

Aug 07, 2018

Hey KD, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. At Protect America we’re always looking to improve though valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Mitchell
August 6th, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS

it has Interference Audio and Wireless some times which cause not to be able to review your property after three are five tries then you can get on line .

Tom
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I works fine. The chirping is annoying when I engage the system. A mistaken alarm summons the police in our area, even if I immediately cancel the alarm by typing in our code.

Aug 07, 2018

Hey Tom, we’re sorry to hear that you are experiencing false alarms. At Protect America we want to correct any problems you might be having with our service. Could you DM me with additional details so that we may assist you with this issue? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Varun
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

The technology seems outdated, especially the phone app. There is no biometric sign in / arm/disarm options, no integration with intelligent assistants, no alerting if a door is open unless you try to arm the system etc. looks like they are on legacy technology with just an app almost for the sake of having one. For the monthly price they charge, you expect a lot more. I'm hoping the monitoring service at least makes up for it. Thankfully I haven't had a need for that with no breakins (fingers crossed)

Aug 07, 2018

Hey Varun, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. We’re always looking to improve through valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Do not trust Protect America there is no warranty or guarantee
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I paid for all equipment and i fix all equipment. So the charges are too high for monitoring

Aug 07, 2018

Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that you had to fix equipment. At Protect America we would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. If you’d like, could you please DM us with additional details so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Heather
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service and the attentiveness of their staff

Dealyne
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Very helpful on phone. Very easy to install.

Roger
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Easy setup and to easy to use. Remote access is terrific for our 2nd home.

Nick
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Protect America is a great alarm company, customer service is amazing. The products are worth the money and they have sales on certain products frequently. You can even automate your home. Great job Protect America!