Protect America

verified

9.1

Protect America

verified
Offers include a free equipment such as cameras, motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems and monitoring services. and automation solutions and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring through Criticom Monitoring Services. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, which includes free equipment such as a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors and window and door/window sensors. While many do-it-yourself security system providers nickel and dime customers on equipment costs, Protect America provides free equipment with no upfront fees.

The Good

• Free Equipment
  • Low Monthly Fee (as low as $19.99)
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Landline, Cellular, and Broadband Monitoring

Free Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America offers the following free equipment with most of its packages: One control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector. The free camera is equipped with 720p HD video quality, with a 25-frames-per-second feed and a 60 degree field of view. It also has night-vision capabilities and two-way audio, allowing you to hear what’s going on and even talk back using Protect America’s app. The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. Lastly, the wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less).

Low Monthly Monitoring Fee

Compared to the seemingly countless security provider options, Protect America beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. At a monthly cost as low as $19.99/month, customers get 24/7 professional monitoring for a very competitive rate, especially considering the free equipment that is included.  Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, this price is very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of a high monthly monitoring costs. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you usually shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. In addition, Protect America provides home security monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband and cellular communication; it's a rarity for companies to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

The Bad

• Cellular Monitoring (Recommended) Starts at $41.99/Month
  • 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of Protect America is its 36-month contract. While lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry, many do-it-yourself providers similar to Protect America have nixed contracts completely; however, a somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer the low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment like Protect America does.

Cancellation Terms

The terms of Protect America's contract aren't particularly forgiving either. If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance. Many security providers only require customers to pay a percentage of the remaining balance. Consumers should make sure they carefully read the contract and fully understand the terms before they agree to a long-term agreement.

Cellular Monitoring

While Protect America flaunts monthly prices "as low as $19.99," the fine print informs us that this cost is for landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month. The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of camera, sensor alerts and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, low monthly fees, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, Protect America is one of the most affordable home security solutions on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as home automation features. However, if you are not interested in signing a two-year contract (which can become expensive if you wish to cancel early), Protect America may not be the best fit. However, consumers may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after they read some of the Protect America’s reviews (shown below). These reviews indicate that Protect America beats out most of its competition in terms of value for price and customer service and satisfaction.

4.1

Margaret Pilant
April 18th, 2018 Sarepta, LA DETAILS

It has been terrible from start till now,it's still lousy.My husband passed away I called them told I would send death notice as soon as I have it didn't matter they still drafted out of the account,the man is not alive!! Don't have any compassion!! Margaret Pilant Sarepta,La 71071

Protect AmericaApr 19, 2018

Hi Margaret - we're sorry to hear about this. If you'd like, could you please DM me to confirm the name of the account holder so I can have someone review your account? Thanks!

Y dominguez
April 12th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS

Horrible alarm system and customer service is awful. Do not waste your money on this, trust me, this system will not keep you safe!!!!

Protect AmericaApr 13, 2018

Hi there, We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. We are always looking to improve through valuable customer input. Feel free to DM us with additional information if you need further assistance. - Ryan

Dave Gann
April 11th, 2018 North Arlington, NJ DETAILS

I have had the system for about two years and they are great. The installation was easy and they provided great support getting the system up & monitoring. They have very responsive customer service. Their system works well and if any component fails, they replace it no questions asked. BTW, no component has failed! The billing is through automatic deduction and is painless.

D. Thomas
April 2nd, 2018 DETAILS

They are annoying even after i told them i wasnt interested they kept calling me for days...then its false advertisment it says no upfront cost and they tried to charge me for something

Marcus barrett
April 2nd, 2018 Alexandria, KY DETAILS

Was mislead on info for camera operation

Gerry Fulgentes
April 2nd, 2018 Canoga Park, CA DETAILS

The sales person kept probing on me when I repeatedly asked for sometimes to decide since Im considering other options

Protect AmericaApr 03, 2018

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our sales solutions specialists are passionate about our security solutions - nevertheless we do respect when they are considering other options! We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Mary
April 2nd, 2018 Lexington, SC DETAILS

The first CSR did not explain the installation other than to say it was easy. The second CSR went to the trouble of finding out why I couldn't install, explained the process and the installation was sucessful.

Kevin Hill
April 2nd, 2018 Dayton, OH DETAILS

The installation of our home security was without any hitches and Kevin is very knowledgeable.

Johnny B.
April 2nd, 2018 Bay City, TX DETAILS

Very courteous, knowledgeable, the price for what I got was amazing. I had a smoke alarm sound off, the monitoring was so quick, the response time was less than 5 seconds. They were calling me to. See if we werd alright. Very impressive. The installation was simple. I am happy I changed from ADT!!!

Jillian Grisez
April 2nd, 2018 Morgantown, WV DETAILS

First sAlesman was really rude when I wanted to talk to my husband before I committed. Acted like i was wasting his time. Second one who called to follow up was very polite and apologized for first sAlesman. Unfortunately I had already decided to go with another provider before second one called

Jenzi
April 2nd, 2018 College Park, MD DETAILS

Their Customer Service follow up is thorough.

Janice Jones
March 26th, 2018 Cortland, NY DETAILS

Some sensors do work front, side and back door. Not the fault of Protect America I am unable to call and activate most sensors [especially my carbon monoxide ] I was attacked by carbon monoxide October 2017 at that time my phone would not work to even call 911, a neighbor found me unable to walk or talk on the porch. Most of the time my phone will not work to call Protect America. I cannot even call Spectrum my cable company as my stalker illegally controls all phone calls to and fro and my internet. Cortland police do not have the equipment to investigate the stalkers electronically the stalkers have to be invested by state police. I have no way to control any communication with outside world stalkers have control of my electric life, and US mail. I would like to sell and move to another state as to cross state line stalking is against federal law. I do hope this review gets out. Many times stalkers do not get up early.

Protect AmericaMar 27, 2018

Hi Janice, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Jared - Maryland
March 26th, 2018 Forest Hill, MD DETAILS

Very Professional and always responsive. I had Simplisafe before them and they are 10x better. worth the extra per month

Rockies3529
March 26th, 2018 Mancos, CO DETAILS

They provided me with outstanding support

Timothy Blaske
March 26th, 2018 Holiday, FL DETAILS

The installation process was simple and easy.

Dan
March 26th, 2018 Schuylerville, NY DETAILS

Top notch knowledgeable sales staff and patient, professional technical assistance during installation!!

Jeremy
March 26th, 2018 Kansas City, MO DETAILS

Very personable, took a genuine interest in our new home, very friendly and helpful.

Sylvia
March 26th, 2018 Blacklick, OH DETAILS

monthly fee, no internet connection needed for this system & good customer service

Mark Enders
March 26th, 2018 Seattle, WA DETAILS

They have called my phone 5 to 6 times a day since I accidentally gave it to them

Protect AmericaMar 27, 2018

Hi there, Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our sales solutions specialists are passionate about our security solutions - nevertheless we do respect when you don't want to hear from us! We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

March 26th, 2018 Northville, MI DETAILS

We never got the outdoor cameras to work. Otherwise, everything else has been great.

March 26th, 2018 Elmwood Park, IL DETAILS

Immediate response to my requests and great customer service.

Wayne
March 26th, 2018 Ellsworth, MI DETAILS

The sales associate was very knowledgeable, friendly, willing to listen and answer my questions.

Jossie Sneeringer
March 26th, 2018 York, PA DETAILS

Very happy with the customer service upon our intial call to the company.

Ken
March 26th, 2018 Everett, WA DETAILS

The salesman did not legally lie but he was misleading to a fault

Marin
March 26th, 2018 Mission Viejo, CA DETAILS

I requested a quote online and immediately began to receive a MINIMUM of seven calls a day- with NO MESSAGE LEFT! I only discovered that this was them by a google search, wherein I found countless of the same complaint. If you want my business so badly then LEAVE A MESSAGE!! If I dont return your call then leave me alone- repeatedly calling and hanging up will do absolutely NOTHING other than piss me off. Had the first call left a lessage I would have returned it to get my price quote, however, because of this annoying harassment I will NEVER do business with your company and I will advise everyone I know not to either

Duke
March 26th, 2018 DETAILS

I can see the security camera a mile away. Then go over and just remove the sd card .stupid

Caleb Mills
March 21st, 2018 Farmington, MN

I called to inquire about service and get a quote. Once through the process they wanted my social security number. I told them no I wasn't going to have it run. The salesman then told me he could just use the last four of it to check there records on whether I owes them money. Turns out they did a hard pull on my credit anyway after being told they couldn't. Apparently they dont need the whole thing to do that anymore. Be careful with this company... they lie to get what they want.

Protect AmericaMar 20, 2018

Hi Caleb, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Robert Preminger
March 20th, 2018 Canton, CT DETAILS

I signed an agreement with a 15 day trial period. The first control panel they mailed me didn't work. The replacement panel didn't work. By the time they were sending me the 3rd panel, I cancelled the agreement due to the 15 day trial period ending. I sent all of the equipment back and then got a 2 week run around that they didn't get it all back and wouldn't refund my $99 payment. They told me I didn't return all of the equipment and what I didn't return cost $99. The people speak nicely but they never had any intention of returning my money. I can't imagine that my $99 was worth them spreading ill will and a bad review. I guess that's what short sighted business is.

Protect AmericaMar 21, 2018

Hi Robert, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Macey
March 20th, 2018 Kennedale, TX DETAILS

Have had hawk security for about 2 months, was recently broken into and nothing happened, I have all the bells and cameras, flood sensor, door bell camera, indoor and outdoor cams. And nothing recorded or happened. Very upset that I’m paying all this money for something that doesn’t even work. Should have gone with a more popular company but now I’m stuck. Do your self a favor and don’t go with this company. Initial set up was easy and cheap but the longer I have had it the more problems that have arrived

Protect AmericaMar 21, 2018

Hi Macey, do you have service with Hawk Security? We’re sorry to hear about your issues with them. This is the Protect America page. Have you had any issues with Protect America home security? If so, we would like to correct any issues you’ve had with our service. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions. - Ryan

Gerald Sylver
March 16th, 2018 Apex, NC

I called and talked with a representative and inquired about a general "new" service installed. After talking about the need to replace my old system and the breaking of a contract (because I would be moving within a year) he stated that he didn't get my name, and I honestly told him that I had not given it (again because I was only inquiring and I have a right to withhold my name from anyone). I only wanted to ask questions and because he could not get my name, he decided to become sarcastic. After three attempts at closing the conversation stating that he had given me enough information, I chuckled the last time and thanked him for the info, and he proceeded to ask why I was laughing because he had missed the joke!!!! From that point I could not engage him any longer. I know this is not representative of the company or all representatives, but anyone like this should not be the upfront person that customers began their inquiries with.

Protect AmericaMar 20, 2018

Hi Gerald, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Leslie Adesso
March 14th, 2018 Newburgh, NY DETAILS

If I could give a ZERO rating... I would. They are unprofessional and the equipment malfunctions after a few months. They are no help to rectify the problems. They don't have technicians... My alarm was going off repeatedly, I was at work over an hour away, and had to take time to leave, they couldn't shut the alarm or give any information as to how I can fix it. I had numerous visits from the police and the "monitoring system" doesn't know anything, even though they keep calling me to notify that the alarm is going off. Finally after a week of this, and over 12 hours total on telephone calls, I disconnected ALL of the equipment, sent it certified to them and insisted they Do Not charge my credit card... Low and behold, 3 months later... still fighting the charges that they will Not stop charging me. I have disputed this with the credit card company and they pay them, then reimburse me. Thank God. But... protect america should NOT GET $$$ for services NOT being provided!!! Please beware of these guys. They are a shady business. Sorry I ever got involved with them.

Protect AmericaMar 20, 2018

Hi Leslie, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Morris Gatlin
March 12th, 2018 Bedford, OH DETAILS

Great customer service great product ease of installation

Marge
March 12th, 2018 Eden, MD DETAILS

The install was easy to do great instructions form the installer

Not trustworthy
March 12th, 2018 Lehigh Acres, FL DETAILS

They keep sending me emails saying they have tried to call me but THEY HAVE NOT TRIED TO CALL

Protect AmericaMar 20, 2018

Hi there, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. Our customers' peace of mind while we protect their homes is certainly our priority. We would like to correct any problems you may be having with our service. Could you DM us with additional details so we can review your account? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions

Will
March 12th, 2018 Lawrenceville, GA DETAILS

I have only had the product installed for a week. I have not had a breakin or anything to see how well the system responds.

Sofia Tabak
March 12th, 2018 Northridge, CA DETAILS

They do everything right, on time and proffesional.

John
March 12th, 2018 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

Ease of use and set up, customer support

Dottie626
March 12th, 2018 Burleson, TX DETAILS

Contract too long. Told me I had to pay for tech servive when I had Lifetime Warranty on my contract.

Michele Drozdowski
March 12th, 2018 Mongaup Valley, NY DETAILS

No equipment fee both system looks outdated. Monthly fee is high for value.

Jane
March 12th, 2018 Livingston, TN DETAILS

Very easy to do business with....Very helpful...The system is easy to use and seems to work VERY well.