Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

verified

9.2

Protect America

verified
Offers include free Protect America equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring through Criticom Monitoring Services. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, which includes free equipment such as a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors and window sensors. While many do-it-yourself home security companies nickel and dime customers on equipment costs, Protect America provides free equipment with no upfront fees. Read Protect America reviews below to see what customers have to say about the home security provider.

The Good

• Free Protect America Equipment
  • Protect America Cost—Low Monthly Monitoring Fee (as Low as $19.99)
  • No Installation Fees
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Positive Protect America Reviews
  • Time in Business

Free Protect America Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America equipment included with most of its packages are as follows: One control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector. The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less). Protect America equipment is high quality and completely free, beating out the majority of the home security company's competitors.

Protect America Cost—Low Monthly Monitoring Fee (as Low as $19.99)

Compared to the seemingly countless security provider options, Protect America is an alarm company that beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. The starting Protect America cost is as low as $19.99/month, giving customers 24/7 professional monitoring services for a very competitive rate, especially considering that Protect America equipment is included for free. Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, Protect America prices are very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with the Protect America cost.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you usually shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. As detailed above, Protect America equipment is also free, including one control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector. In addition, Protect America alarm system provides monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America has 24/7 live video monitoring for their security cameras. There is also a two-way voice capability service that enables communication on both ends.

Positive Protect America Reviews

As of November 2018, Protect America reviews are overwhelmingly positive, giving them a 4-star home security rating on BestCompany.com. Reaching nearly 2,000, Protect America reviews highlight exceptional customer service, quality equipment, and reasonable prices. Satisfactory Protect America reviews provide peace of mind that the home security company is respected by the majority of its current and past customers.

Time in Business

Protect America alarm system has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample amounts of experience in alarm systems and burglar & theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands. Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

The Bad

• Cellular Monitoring (Recommended) Starts at $41.99/Month
  • 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company is its 36-month contract. While lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry, many do-it-yourself providers similar to Protect America have nixed contracts completely; however, a somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer the low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment like Protect America does. Read Protect America reviews below to see how customers feel about the lengthy contract and the home security provider as a whole.

Cancellation Terms

The terms of Protect America's contract aren't particularly forgiving either. If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance. Many security providers only require customers to pay a percentage of the remaining balance. Consumers should make sure they carefully read the contract and fully understand the terms before they agree to a long-term agreement.

Cellular Monitoring

While Protect America flaunts monthly prices "as low as $19.99," the fine print informs us that this cost is for landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month. The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, the Protect America security system is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as home automation features. However, if you are not interested in signing a two-year contract (which can become expensive if you wish to cancel early), Protect America may not be the best fit. However, consumers may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after they read Protect America reviews (shown below). These Protect America security reviews indicate that the home security provider beats out most of its competition in terms of value for price and customer service and satisfaction.

Ted
November 15th, 2018 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

They helped me with the set up of it when I needed it and anytime anything's happened, any occurrence, for the alarms they've been on the phone with us immediately. I think some of the contacts that they put on the doors are a little flimsy. The equipment is easy to set up and mobile.

Steven
November 15th, 2018 Fort Wayne, IN DETAILS

I think the equipment is good I think they do a little better by having little additional key pads by your most used doors that go in and out instead of having just one central keypad. Every time I try to call I get the message that they are experiencing high call volumes and have to wait quite a while before I get to speak to anybody.

Matthew
November 15th, 2018 Cementon, PA DETAILS

Sometimes they are hard to get ahold of but when I've had a problem they've been on top of it. The only suggestion I would have is try not to push everybody off to the internet for chatting but talk to people live.

November 15th, 2018 Milwaukee, WI DETAILS

They ship the equipment to you and tell you how to install it and then once you get everything install they go through it on the panel. It was easy.

Debbie
November 15th, 2018 Pulaski, VA DETAILS

They are very responsive with customer issues. The pin pad is very user friendly and straightforward. The window and door security was easy to install.

Timothy
November 15th, 2018 Rochester, MN DETAILS

When I dealt with the support center when I installed it, that seemed to go alright. I like being able to check it out with the phone app but it seems to work only on one phone or the other. It's hard to get the phone app to recognize our password and stuff. Sometimes the magnet sensors on the door come loose off the velcro so I end up having to glue them on differently but the equipment works well.

Shawn
November 15th, 2018 DETAILS

They resolve any issues I have but they could improve their wait time when you call them. I have to rethink the camera every once in a while.

November 15th, 2018 Cleveland, OH DETAILS

They give me a call every time like a smoke detector going out.

Jasmina
November 15th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Whenever we needed help it was resolved immediately. After a year our sensors are failing. IT was an easy installation and option for the apps. It would be nice to have a tech in the local area who could occasionally come and help customers in case they need to troubleshoot the sensor or something like that.

John
November 15th, 2018 Medina, OH DETAILS

It's easy to install, you don't have to be a professional, and it's easy to service if something happens to it. Their response time has been spectacular; when we've ever needed it there was an issue with our alarm we got a call within the first couple minutes. Affordable, reliable, and secure.

Kimberly
November 15th, 2018 Winterville, NC DETAILS

Any time I have an issue they are always willing to walk me through an issues that I've got and they're very helpful. Everything I have works well and meets all the needs I have and I know that if I wanted to upgrade I could upgrade at any time.

Shannon
November 15th, 2018 Cuyahoga Falls, OH DETAILS

If the fire alarm goes off and I tell them to wave it off the fire department shows up anyway. The control panel has a silent mode but when you go out the door it beeps no matter what. They also need a more upfront cancellation policy. They basically give you like two weeks or ten days to cancel and return and that starts before you even get the equipment so by the time you get everything set up you are a week in. By the time you figure out that it's a terrible system it's too late. Now I'm stuck so it would be nice to have more transparency.

Lillian
November 15th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

When we first initialized the alarm system, customer service was great and easy to work with and answered all of my questions. It's a basic system and it doesn't do everything we wanted it to do but we could probably get the upgrades if it is needed. They could maybe have a little more follow ups with the customers to ensure everything is working properly because we haven't heard from them since we installed it two years ago.

Lauren
November 14th, 2018 Avon Park, FL DETAILS

When I called looking for basic information about a home security system I didn't expect to purchase something right away. I spoke with Jacqueline. She couldn't have been any sweeter, caring, compassionate and thorough! She was amazing in making sure I was aware of all they had to offer and helped me build my security system to fit my needs as well as my budget & went well above & beyond. She connected with me on a personal level which was very important to me and I have so much appreciation for. Amazing customer service and can't wait to work with them for years to come!

Louise Dixon
November 13th, 2018 Holden, LA DETAILS

I have had no problems and good customer service.o

Myra Dolch
November 13th, 2018 Cincinnati, OH DETAILS

I like the service. i just wished the monitor could be charged and work in the event of black out

Evelyn Gibson
November 13th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS

They notified me when my alarm is turned on or off by owner, and are on the phone if the alarm is tripped. We can count on them.

Gloria Jean Cobb
November 13th, 2018 St Louis, MO DETAILS

They are the best when it comes to customer service

Lorettn Donaubauer
November 13th, 2018 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Their secuity system was very easy to install

Maureen Reisenweber
November 13th, 2018 Bethesda, MD DETAILS

Easy to work with. Will repeat instructions until you are comfortable.

Julia
November 13th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

They are thorough, when I call I always get my question answered quickly and professionally.

Woodrow
November 13th, 2018 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS

This service is fantastic, and the equipment is state of the art. It's all in one package at a reasonable price. I like that you can put the monitor anywhere as well.

Connie
November 13th, 2018 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

Whenever I call with an issue or question, they are responsive and friendly. It would be nice if they had a shorter contract though.

Lacresha
November 13th, 2018 Sandusky, OH DETAILS

Everything is reasonably priced, even the monthly service charge. I've never had a problem with the actual equipment, and customer service is professional.

November 13th, 2018 Pride, LA DETAILS

It works fine, they call you if the alarm goes off.

Jolene
November 13th, 2018 Cedar Rapids, IA DETAILS

Any time I call in, they help me. They go through my alarms once a month. It's nice that I can come home and know my house wasn't disturbed.

Willliam
November 13th, 2018 Twin Falls, ID DETAILS

The always answer quickly and return my calls. The equipment seems like good stuff.

Sylvia
November 13th, 2018 Hayward, CA DETAILS

When I was searching around, I wanted something that didn't have to be connected to a landline or hardwired. I wanted web-based security and Protect America offered that. I do have some issues with the cameras clicking and making a lot of noise. The camera can't decide if it's day or night.

Avinash
November 13th, 2018 Ashburn, VA DETAILS

Whenever I had to call them they would answer the call right away.

November 13th, 2018 Warren, OH DETAILS

It is affordable, easy to set up, and easy to use.

Sharon
November 13th, 2018 Milwaukee, WI DETAILS

The product is not working, and they need better customer service.

Protect AmericaNov 15, 2018

Hi Sharon, we’re sorry to hear your home security systems isn't working. At Protect America, we always pride ourselves in our reliable technology and service. If you’d like, could you please DM us with the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Tong
November 13th, 2018 San Jose, CA DETAILS

Every time I call customer service, they quickly determine what's wrong and solve the problem.

November 13th, 2018 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS

I think the contract is too long, you have to wait three years even if you want to change something.

Karen / Howard
November 9th, 2018 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS

The service is ok, but not what I expected. Sometimes I find it to be unreliable.

Protect AmericaNov 12, 2018

Hi Karen, we’re sorry to hear about this! At Protect America, we always pride ourselves in our reliable technology and service. If you’d like, could you please DM us with the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Karilyn
November 8th, 2018 Deltona, FL DETAILS

First was drawn to Protect America because of the price. The company has never gone above and beyond with their service.

Scott
November 8th, 2018 Palm Bay, FL DETAILS

I wish the technician was a little slower on the phone. I love the wall mounted control panel.

Mehdi
November 8th, 2018 Sunland, CA DETAILS

Customer service has always been very helpful when I have called. They are very professional.

Roger
November 8th, 2018 Joppa, MD DETAILS

The equipment offered by Protect America is nice. Customer service is below average.

Protect AmericaNov 12, 2018

Hi Roger, we're certainly sorry to hear about your experience with our Customer Service. At Protect America, we want to correct any problems you're experiencing with our customer support. If you’d like, could you please DM us with the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Theron
November 8th, 2018 Dover, DE DETAILS

There could be some improvements made on the device itself. If they rearranged their buttons, I would have a better experience with Protect America.

Joe
November 8th, 2018 DETAILS

The price offered is fair, equipment offered is standard, and customer service has been good every time I have needed to call them.