Protect America

verified

9.2

Protect America

verified
Offers include free equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring through Criticom Monitoring Services. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, which includes free equipment such as a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors and window and door/window sensors. While many do-it-yourself home security companies nickel and dime customers on equipment costs, Protect America provides free equipment with no upfront fees.

The Good

• Free Equipment
  • Low Monthly Fee (as low as $19.99)
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Landline, Cellular, and Broadband Monitoring

Free Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America offers the following free equipment with most of its packages: One control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector. The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less).

Low Monthly Monitoring Fee

Compared to the seemingly countless security provider options, Protect America beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. At a monthly cost as low as $19.99/month, customers get 24/7 professional monitoring for a very competitive rate, especially considering the free equipment that is included.  Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, this price is very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high monthly monitoring costs. This isn't the case with Protect America.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you usually shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. In addition, Protect America provides home security monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband and cellular communication; it's a rarity for companies to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

The Bad

• Cellular Monitoring (Recommended) Starts at $41.99/Month
  • 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of Protect America is its 36-month contract. While lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry, many do-it-yourself providers similar to Protect America have nixed contracts completely; however, a somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer the low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment like Protect America does.

Cancellation Terms

The terms of Protect America's contract aren't particularly forgiving either. If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance. Many security providers only require customers to pay a percentage of the remaining balance. Consumers should make sure they carefully read the contract and fully understand the terms before they agree to a long-term agreement.

Cellular Monitoring

While Protect America flaunts monthly prices "as low as $19.99," the fine print informs us that this cost is for landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month. The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of camera, sensor alerts and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, low monthly fees, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, Protect America is one of the most affordable home security solutions on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as home automation features. However, if you are not interested in signing a two-year contract (which can become expensive if you wish to cancel early), Protect America may not be the best fit. However, consumers may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after they read some of the Protect America’s reviews (shown below). These reviews indicate that Protect America beats out most of its competition in terms of value for price and customer service and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

Jim Metoyer
August 17th, 2018 Sycamore, IL

Cary walked me through the installation process without a hitch. The app is simple and easy to navigate.

Rich Burdick
August 17th, 2018 Oakdale, CT DETAILS

Very high pressure to give my credit card to schedule a visit to my home. I was ready to have the install done that day but I was not giving my credit card for a consult. They lost a customer. Also tried to tell me that their system had a lifetime warranty that the locals did not offer but they were hiding the cost in the monthly monitoring.

Protect AmericaAug 16, 2018

Hey Rich, we’re sorry to hear that you felt pressured. At Protect America our main goal is to educate and protect. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Shelley
August 14th, 2018 Kirksville, MO DETAILS

very informative customer service and installation handled very professionally. Products arrived quickly and easy to DIY

Kenneth Connor
August 13th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

They ranked high in the research we didi before purchasing a Protect America security system. We like the fact that we could and did install the system ourselves. I wish PA would proactivly test our system on a monthly basis and contact us with feedback after the testing. PA does not seem "trigger happy" about calling us when we briefly set-off our alarm accidently...but it is comforting when we get a call after setting of the alarm and not shutting it down immediately/fast enough.

Premkumar Vummidi Giridhar
August 13th, 2018 Mason, OH DETAILS

They gave an offer to upgrade when signing my contact which i did not take it at that time. But later when I called and told them about the offer and asked for an upgrade they went back and checked my records and told the offer was not made to me. There is no reason for me to lie for saving some little bucks but felt very bad when i was told that there is no offer made in the records

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Premkumar, we’re sorry to hear about your situation. At protect America we strive to be as sincere and reliable as possible. If you’d like, feel free to DM us with additional details so that we may assist you. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Aquilla Cain
August 13th, 2018 Salisbury, MD DETAILS

When, my alarm went off I was not able to reach them, they told me I could reach them 24/7, I left messages and no one returned my call.

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Aquilla, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we try to be as receptive and informative as possible. Could you please DM us the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff
August 13th, 2018 Ladson, SC DETAILS

There interface with Alexa doesn't work for lots of people, me included..look it up

Chinonso Ezike
August 13th, 2018 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS

I got them because i thought they are good and less expensive than ADT. I live ADT

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Chinonso, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. At Protect America we are always looking for ways to improve ourselves through valuable customer insight. Thanks, and please let us know if you have any question.

Anthony
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

They are good at helping out when needed

Patty
August 13th, 2018 Hermitage, TN DETAILS

Easy set up and the app for use when away from home to arm and disarm.

Jeff in The Villagges
August 13th, 2018 Lady Lake, FL DETAILS

The overall value of the equipment and service is excellent. The are that keeps me from giving them a 5 is the associated software applications. Neither the mobile app or PC application has the ability to "do it all". Some task can only be completed in one of the applications. The division of when you need to which app is not clearly defined and can lead to frustration. The Customer Service people can help you figure things out. The end user has no access to the documentation they have.

Linus Tibui
August 13th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Rapid response to an accidental trigger Is an indication of the efficiency of the system

Stephen Messner
August 13th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Price and equipment they offer for the price.

Ishmaila Njie
August 13th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Consider the value of customers and willing to protect everything of your stuff

George
August 13th, 2018 Mt. Dora, FL DETAILS

Meets all our security needs at a reasonable price.

Wes Barter

Would be a 5 excepy mobile app is weak compared to alarm.com

Nicholas Weber
August 13th, 2018 Savannah, GA DETAILS

Great customer service, easy install and quick response to alarms

Janice Polisky
August 13th, 2018 Newport News, VA DETAILS

Easy install,good customer service, devices work well

Robin
August 13th, 2018 Thomaston, GA DETAILS

Service is great. Product supplied to stick alarm objects on doors, windows, and walls awful!

Tiffanni Starling
August 13th, 2018 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

It's too expensive for the equipment provided

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Tiffanni, we’re sorry to hear that you feel like our equipment is too expensive. At Protect America we strive to offer high quality security equipment at the best price. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

ONeil Torres
August 13th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

Installation was simple, they were very helpful when I ran into any problems, and pricing was upfront. No hidden costs.

Dan Crowley
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Not overly impressed,I was not given what I was told. System works ok cell phone fair to good at best.

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Dan, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive what you were told. At Protect America we strive to be as transparent and informative as possible. If you’d like, could you DM us with some additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Deron
August 13th, 2018 Gwynn Oak, MD DETAILS

Great service. Wasn't happy that the price was for a land line but the wifi connection was more.

Penny
August 13th, 2018 Hemet, CA DETAILS

The only reason I gave them a 4 instead of 5 is you have to do all of the installation on your own while someone waits with you on the phone the entire time. It is easy to install but I'd rather have someone do the installation and not have to do it myself.

Tim
August 13th, 2018 Bullhead City, AZ DETAILS

Difficult to contact; monthly communication and system test

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Tim, we’re sorry to hear that you had trouble contacting us. At Protect America we strive to make it as easy to contact us as possible. If you’d like, feel free to DM us with additional details so that we may reach out and assist you with this issue.

Mello
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Easily accessible, system is user friendly

Donald Wheeler
August 15th, 2018 Meridian, MS

Have set up a in home service for me...Great and thank you.

B J
August 13th, 2018 Richmond, VA DETAILS

I don't like the service, they never have anyone to assist. At this time I am paying for something that is no use to me and I will be making a higher complaint out side of this company.

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey BJ, we’re sorry to hear that you aren’t happy with our service. At Protect America we strive to be as responsive and helpful as possible. If you’d like, could you please DM us with additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Mike G.
August 13th, 2018 Utica, MI

Excellent service from Jarrett, he explained procedure and expectations very clearly and in terms which produced trust.

Chuck
August 13th, 2018 Lenoir, NC DETAILS

I had no problem with installation. Customer service is fast and very helpful. I have no issue recommending this company.

Vincent Titara
August 7th, 2018 Largo, FL DETAILS

Protect America is phenomenal. They are so friendly and helpful and the system was so easy to install. I’ve had mine for over a year now and I just absolutely love it. And might I add, the price point is beyond excellent for the amazing quality of service that they give you.

F. Lopez
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

When I contacted them about the equiptmet, i received bad customer service, and was suggested to buy my own tape when i have had their service less than a year.

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hi there, we’re sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with our customer service. At Protect America we strive to treat our customers with care and as part of the family! If you’d like, could you DM us with additional details so that we may assist you with this issue? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Ralph
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

`the system never installed only activated

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hey Ralph, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we strive to make our installation process as easy and straightforward as possible. Could you DM us with additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Unsatisfied Customer
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service does not respond to inquiry. Was promised a certain amount of equipment to sign up for service but did not get the equipment once contract was signed.

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hi there, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we strive to be as responsive as possible. If you’d like, could you please DM us with additional details so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Thomas
August 6th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Had to install the system myself. Being an electrician this was not a problem. Some may have difficulty in doing this installation.

Chuck
August 6th, 2018 Hilliard, OH DETAILS

Ease of installation , customer service is excellent.

KD
August 6th, 2018 Danville, KY DETAILS

A three year contract is way too long. Other than that, Protect America is not any better than other good services.

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hey KD, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. At Protect America we’re always looking to improve though valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Mitchell
August 6th, 2018 Memphis, TN DETAILS

it has Interference Audio and Wireless some times which cause not to be able to review your property after three are five tries then you can get on line .

Tom
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I works fine. The chirping is annoying when I engage the system. A mistaken alarm summons the police in our area, even if I immediately cancel the alarm by typing in our code.

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hey Tom, we’re sorry to hear that you are experiencing false alarms. At Protect America we want to correct any problems you might be having with our service. Could you DM me with additional details so that we may assist you with this issue? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Varun
August 6th, 2018 DETAILS

The technology seems outdated, especially the phone app. There is no biometric sign in / arm/disarm options, no integration with intelligent assistants, no alerting if a door is open unless you try to arm the system etc. looks like they are on legacy technology with just an app almost for the sake of having one. For the monthly price they charge, you expect a lot more. I'm hoping the monitoring service at least makes up for it. Thankfully I haven't had a need for that with no breakins (fingers crossed)

Protect AmericaAug 07, 2018

Hey Varun, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. We’re always looking to improve through valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!