Protect America

verified

9.2

Protect America

verified
Offers include free equipment such as motion detectors, door sensors, and window sensors. $0 in up-front costs.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security systems, monitoring services, and automation solutions, and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring through Criticom Monitoring Services. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, which includes free equipment such as a control panel, motion detectors, door sensors and window sensors. While many do-it-yourself home security companies nickel and dime customers on equipment costs, Protect America provides free equipment with no upfront fees.

The Good

• Free Equipment
  • Low Monthly Fee (as low as $19.99)
  • No Installation Fees
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Video Monitoring
  • Time in Business

Free Equipment

While other home security system companies offer free equipment, few match Protect America in both the quantity and quality of the free equipment. Protect America offers the following free equipment with most of its packages: One control panel, three door and window sensors, and one motion detector. The free door and window sensors have a 5-year battery life and can be quickly and easily self-installed. The wireless sensors have a horizontal coverage range of 25 feet and can detect movement by intelligently sensing head emissions (though they are pet-friendly, ignoring movement from objects 40 pounds or less).

Low Monthly Monitoring Fee (as low as ($19.99)

Compared to the seemingly countless security provider options, Protect America is an alarm company that beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. At a monthly cost as low as $19.99/month, customers get 24/7 professional monitoring services for a very competitive rate, especially considering the free equipment that is included. Compared to other do-it-yourself solutions, this price is very low. Most self-installed security system companies who offer free equipment simply make you pay for it in the form of high-cost monthly monitoring services. This isn't the case with Protect America.

No Installation Fees

Unlike many other home security companies, Protect America does not charge installation fees. When you sign up for their services, you don't have to risk a burglar targeting your home before you can afford the cost of home security installation. You can get Protect America's protection right away.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you usually shouldn't expect your home security package to include home automation features; however, Protect America does include wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. In addition, Protect America provides home security monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband, and cellular communication; it's a rarity for a security company to provide all three of these warranties in the residential security system industry. This type of superior customer service is another way Protect America has set itself apart from its competition.

24/7 Video Monitoring

Protect America has 24/7 live video monitoring for their security cameras. There is also a two-way voice capability that enables communication on both ends.

Time in Business

Protect America has been in business since 1992. Having a home security company that has ample amounts of experience in alarm systems and burglar & theft situations can give homeowners peace of mind that their home and family will be in good hands. Protect America has had decades to develop a home security system and alarm monitoring company that is efficient, trustworthy, and affordable.

The Bad

• Cellular Monitoring (Recommended) Starts at $41.99/Month
  • 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of the alarm company is its 36-month contract. While lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the home security system industry, many do-it-yourself providers similar to Protect America have nixed contracts completely; however, a somewhat lengthy contract is much more common for companies who offer the low-cost monitoring fees and free equipment like Protect America does.

Cancellation Terms

The terms of Protect America's contract aren't particularly forgiving either. If a customer decides to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance. Many security providers only require customers to pay a percentage of the remaining balance. Consumers should make sure they carefully read the contract and fully understand the terms before they agree to a long-term agreement.

Cellular Monitoring

While Protect America flaunts monthly prices "as low as $19.99," the fine print informs us that this cost is for landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month. The higher cost for the cellular monitoring is due to the increased services and features available (such as remote control of a security camera, real-time alerts from motion sensors and other home automation features) that are not available with landline monitoring only.

The Bottom Line

With an impressive array of free equipment, affordable monthly monitoring service, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, Protect America is one of the most affordable security systems on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as home automation features. However, if you are not interested in signing a two-year contract (which can become expensive if you wish to cancel early), Protect America may not be the best fit. However, consumers may feel more comfortable signing a long-term contract after they read some of the Protect America’s reviews (shown below). These reviews indicate that Protect America beats out most of its competition in terms of value for price and customer service and satisfaction.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

Deborah Peterson
September 21st, 2018 DETAILS

I purchased Protect America two years ago. After trying to install the equipment for several months I gave up. There was no way to install it without ruining the brand new windows thatI had just spent a huge amount on. I called and requested a cancellation because I was unable to install their equipment. I could not find any way to break the three year contract without buying it out and selling to some other poor dupe. I am still paying on a very foolish mistake. Do not sign a multi year agreement with anyone without a written agreement on satisfaction with the system being used.

Protect AmericaSep 21, 2018

Hey Deborah, we’re sorry to hear that you weren’t satisfied with our installation process. At Protect America we strive to provide wireless security equipment that is both unobtrusive and easy to install. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback and please feel free to DM us if you have any questions!

Craig Fruin
September 20th, 2018 Spokane, WA

I recived 2 phone calls, the first was bad timining and Id requested information and pricing on packages via email, I have never received an email from you. The 2nd phone call was a few days later, a different rep than the 1st. I mentioned I was awaiting and email, she stated ahe would follow up with whomever was goin to send that email.

Protect AmericaSep 20, 2018

Hey Craig, we’re sorry to hear that you never received our email. At Protect America we do our best to be as responsive as possible. We’re currently working on improving the deliverability of our emails. Thanks and please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Kelly Geels
September 17th, 2018 Visalia, CA DETAILS

Fast set up and great customer service, system works well. Love that equipment was free and no contracts! Perfect for our family

KELVIN D BERGSTEN
September 17th, 2018 Blacksburg, VA

The professional that helped made everything so easy. He offered a knowledgeable base to which we worked together. He was patient and encouraging through out. I never felt rushed. Fantastic experience. I am happy with my investment in home safety.

Stephen
September 11th, 2018 Manlius, NY

I filled out the online form to get a quote from Protect America, and received a call within minutes. I was very impressed with the information provided by the sales person, but when I said I was not ready to commit the aggressive sales kicked in. The sales person and manager did not want to take "not yet" as an answer, and got borderline rude. Since then I have received dozens of calls from Protect America, and one email (which I responded to).

Protect AmericaSep 11, 2018

Hey Stephen, thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our sales solutions specialists are passionate about our security solutions - nevertheless we do respect when you don't want to hear from us! We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Eloise Murphree
September 10th, 2018 Troy, AL

I am very tired of you calling me several times a day!

Protect AmericaSep 10, 2018

Hey Eloise, thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our sales solutions specialists are passionate about our security solutions - nevertheless we do respect when you don't want to hear from us! We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Debra
September 6th, 2018 Madison, TN

Asked for information, but never heard from them.

Protect AmericaSep 06, 2018

Hey Debra, we’re sorry to hear about this! At Protect America we do our best to be as responsive as possible. We’re currently working on improving the deliverability of our emails. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

KH
September 5th, 2018 Vista, CA

They call at all hours of the day and evening. Give me a break!

Protect AmericaSep 05, 2018

Hey KH, Thanks for taking the time to leave us feedback. Our sales solutions specialists are passionate about our security solutions - nevertheless we do respect when you don't want to hear from us! We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Kenneth Collins
September 4th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

I called to have my subscription cancel because i finished paying off the 3 year term and they didn't want to cancel my plan. The customer service person was so rude and basically told me that I wasn't going to get the money that they debted out of my account. Bad company and Bad customer service , my advice is to never use a company that won't allow you to cancel at the end of your term.

Protect AmericaSep 04, 2018

Hey Kenneth, we’re sorry to hear that you’ve had a negative experience with our customer service. At Protect America we strive to always conduct ourselves in a friendly manner and to treat our customer’s issues with care. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience and please let us know if you have any questions!

Frederick McGill
September 4th, 2018 Raeford, NC

Everything went very well, from the initial contact to the setup and installation.

Robinson Dale
August 29th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

Talked extensively about product etc. And then asked sales rep to email me with particulars we had discussed so I could discuss with wife before making a decision. NO email was ever recvd and then the rep phoned back two days later Bad sales

Protect AmericaAug 29, 2018

Hey Robinson, we’re sorry to hear about this! At Protect America we do our best to be as responsive as possible. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. We’re currently working on improving the deliverability of our emails (our emails sometimes go into the spam folder). In the meantime if you’re still interested in getting more information feel free to send us a direct message, thanks!

Hugh Marron
August 27th, 2018 Annapolis, MD DETAILS

i logged online to get information and immediately was in a chat session with a salesman - I obviously was interested in a security system and he took no time selling me on Protect America systems which sounded good at the time. After being pretty much bum rushed through a series of documents I had no time to read and signed - I had a security system that looked good but one that I knew virtually nothing about. I realized several days later that I had made a mistake and have since sent all the equipment back to negate the 3yr guaranteed payment contract for over $1500 I signd up for.

Toni
August 27th, 2018 DETAILS

The equipment is not of quality the app is crappy and the cheap camera I received is some garbage. As well they are too expensive. I should have gone with my cable company!

Protect AmericaAug 27, 2018

Hey Toni, we’re sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with our equipment. At Protect America we strive to provide state of the art security equipment and fair prices to our customers. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. Please let us know if you have any questions.

James Strassburg
August 23rd, 2018 Sanford, NC

I never received a quote from Protect America. They want a sales person to call and I only wanted a base price. Without accepting a phone interview price of service wasn’t received

Protect AmericaAug 23, 2018

Hey James, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we’re always looking for ways to improve based on valuable customer insight. We would love to help get you set up with a security system. Please feel free to direct message us or give us a call and we can get you our latest offer.

Kathryn Mitchell
August 23rd, 2018 Madison, TN DETAILS

Everyone that I have talked with have been very helpful and informative.

MARVIN HAROLD
August 22nd, 2018 Clarksburg, WV

Quick, simple, done. Love it. Very easy installation. Very simple system test and activation.

Josh Burgess
August 20th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

Professional company! Great to work with

Prashant
August 20th, 2018 Coralville, IA DETAILS

Based on reviews and ratings, I decided to become a Protect America customer and signed up. But there are many misconceptions in these reviews. Here is my brief experience: 1. No Equipment cost - I had discussed my home in detail with the agent and based on that he suggested the equipment. There ‘IS’ a cost to equipment which they put as upfront cost (200-500$ depending on what you expect) and eventually my equipment was 3 window sensors short than what initial agent had suggested. So I ‘PAID’ again to get the window sensors. 2. Monthly fee and discounts - For a monthly fee, I was quoted 49.99$ and there was an ongoing discount of 20% off for monthly costs (available as per website). When I asked for that this cost is INCLUDING the discount. So probably their costs are > 62$, if I believe that agent gave me any discount (which also I doubt). 3. Installation - The worst part, if you do not have hours and hours to deal with people (I would suggest paying 99$ to other security companies like ADT as they give you back 100$ gift card if you choose ADT pulse or other programs). Even when you are paying for the equipment, they send you ‘used’ equipment (my garage door opener had attached Velcro and had missing part and couldn’t be connected to my account because of some technical issue which couldn’t be handled on a weekend). The expert agent agreed that it ‘may’ have been a returned equipment sent to you (which I am sure looking at it). Also, when you do partial installs (because you do not have 5-6 hours in stretch) and ask them for a call back the next day at 9 AM CST, no one calls in time. One day I waited till 9:40 and called myself and other day someone called at 11 AM. So they do not value your time too. So, if you think that your time has a value (worth > installation costs asked by other companies, 99$), would strongly suggest to go for some other company that values time and has a cost effective installation. My conclusion – I still am in 30 days of my return back guarantee and despite having spent 6-8 hours, I still couldn’t get things completely installed (because of missing parts and inability to register at their end). Hence, I think it is better to return it to prevent long-term frustration and high monthly fee as well as contracts (there are many that have no contracts and at this price provide better service). Since this company is rated as one of good ones, I really worry about dealing other companies (which are rated less than them) but I know of my experience with them for sure but am willing to give others a try.

Protect AmericaAug 20, 2018

Hey Prashant, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback on your experience. At Protect America we are always looking for ways to improve using valuable customer insight. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Jim Metoyer
August 17th, 2018 Sycamore, IL

Cary walked me through the installation process without a hitch. The app is simple and easy to navigate.

Rich Burdick
August 17th, 2018 Oakdale, CT DETAILS

Very high pressure to give my credit card to schedule a visit to my home. I was ready to have the install done that day but I was not giving my credit card for a consult. They lost a customer. Also tried to tell me that their system had a lifetime warranty that the locals did not offer but they were hiding the cost in the monthly monitoring.

Protect AmericaAug 16, 2018

Hey Rich, we’re sorry to hear that you felt pressured. At Protect America our main goal is to educate and protect. We appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions!

Shelley
August 14th, 2018 Kirksville, MO DETAILS

very informative customer service and installation handled very professionally. Products arrived quickly and easy to DIY

Kenneth Connor
August 13th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

They ranked high in the research we didi before purchasing a Protect America security system. We like the fact that we could and did install the system ourselves. I wish PA would proactivly test our system on a monthly basis and contact us with feedback after the testing. PA does not seem "trigger happy" about calling us when we briefly set-off our alarm accidently...but it is comforting when we get a call after setting of the alarm and not shutting it down immediately/fast enough.

Premkumar Vummidi Giridhar
August 13th, 2018 Mason, OH DETAILS

They gave an offer to upgrade when signing my contact which i did not take it at that time. But later when I called and told them about the offer and asked for an upgrade they went back and checked my records and told the offer was not made to me. There is no reason for me to lie for saving some little bucks but felt very bad when i was told that there is no offer made in the records

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Premkumar, we’re sorry to hear about your situation. At protect America we strive to be as sincere and reliable as possible. If you’d like, feel free to DM us with additional details so that we may assist you. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Aquilla Cain
August 13th, 2018 Salisbury, MD DETAILS

When, my alarm went off I was not able to reach them, they told me I could reach them 24/7, I left messages and no one returned my call.

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Aquilla, we’re sorry to hear about this. At Protect America we try to be as receptive and informative as possible. Could you please DM us the full name of the account holder so that we may assist you with this? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

Jeff
August 13th, 2018 Ladson, SC DETAILS

There interface with Alexa doesn't work for lots of people, me included..look it up

Chinonso Ezike
August 13th, 2018 Canyon Country, CA DETAILS

I got them because i thought they are good and less expensive than ADT. I live ADT

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Chinonso, we appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. At Protect America we are always looking for ways to improve ourselves through valuable customer insight. Thanks, and please let us know if you have any question.

Anthony
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

They are good at helping out when needed

Patty
August 13th, 2018 Hermitage, TN DETAILS

Easy set up and the app for use when away from home to arm and disarm.

Jeff in The Villagges
August 13th, 2018 Lady Lake, FL DETAILS

The overall value of the equipment and service is excellent. The are that keeps me from giving them a 5 is the associated software applications. Neither the mobile app or PC application has the ability to "do it all". Some task can only be completed in one of the applications. The division of when you need to which app is not clearly defined and can lead to frustration. The Customer Service people can help you figure things out. The end user has no access to the documentation they have.

Linus Tibui
August 13th, 2018 Woodbridge, VA DETAILS

Rapid response to an accidental trigger Is an indication of the efficiency of the system

Stephen Messner
August 13th, 2018 Las Vegas, NV DETAILS

Price and equipment they offer for the price.

Ishmaila Njie
August 13th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

Consider the value of customers and willing to protect everything of your stuff

George
August 13th, 2018 Mt. Dora, FL DETAILS

Meets all our security needs at a reasonable price.

Wes Barter

Would be a 5 excepy mobile app is weak compared to alarm.com

Nicholas Weber
August 13th, 2018 Savannah, GA DETAILS

Great customer service, easy install and quick response to alarms

Janice Polisky
August 13th, 2018 Newport News, VA DETAILS

Easy install,good customer service, devices work well

Robin
August 13th, 2018 Thomaston, GA DETAILS

Service is great. Product supplied to stick alarm objects on doors, windows, and walls awful!

Tiffanni Starling
August 13th, 2018 Greensboro, NC DETAILS

It's too expensive for the equipment provided

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Tiffanni, we’re sorry to hear that you feel like our equipment is too expensive. At Protect America we strive to offer high quality security equipment at the best price. Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

ONeil Torres
August 13th, 2018 Orlando, FL DETAILS

Installation was simple, they were very helpful when I ran into any problems, and pricing was upfront. No hidden costs.

Dan Crowley
August 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Not overly impressed,I was not given what I was told. System works ok cell phone fair to good at best.

Protect AmericaAug 13, 2018

Hey Dan, we’re sorry to hear that you didn’t receive what you were told. At Protect America we strive to be as transparent and informative as possible. If you’d like, could you DM us with some additional details so that we may assist you? Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.