Protect America

Call Now Visit Site

Protect America verified Companies can verify their Best Company profile through contacting us. Once a company profile has been claimed and verified by Best Company, we work with the company to ensure the information on our site is as accurate as possible.

Headquartered in Austin, Texas, Protect America provides self-installed home security and automation solutions and has serviced nearly half a million homes since 1992. The company offers 24/7 professional monitoring through Criticom Monitoring Services. Protect America's monthly fees range from $19.99 to $42.99, which includes free equipment such as a control panel, motion detectors, and door/window sensors. While many do-it-yourself security providers nickel and dime customers on equipment costs, Protect America provides free equipment with no upfront fee.

The Good

• Free Equipment
  • Low Monthly Fee (as low as $19.99)
  • Home Automation Features
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • 24/7 Landline, Cellular, and Broadband Monitoring

Free Equipment, Low Monthly Fee, Monitoring

In a sea of endless security provider options, Protect America beats out competitors on one of the most important factors: price. At a monthly cost as low as $19.99/month, customers get 24/7 professional monitoring and free equipment (one control panel, three door/window sensors, and a motion detector). Even for a do-it-yourself solution, this price is pretty incredible. While most self-installed security companies are able to provide low monthly monitoring fees, they usually make up for the savings in equipment costs.

Home Automation Features

At less than $20/month, you usually shouldn't expect home automation features; however, Protect America comes through on the wireless control options. Through the company's app, customers are able to view camera footage and control their security system, door locks (additional equipment cost) and lights/appliances (additional equipment cost) from a smartphone.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

All equipment is covered by a lifetime warranty, meaning Protect America will ship replacement parts for all defective equipment at no charge to the customer. In addition, Protect America provides home security monitoring through landline (least expensive), broadband and cellular communication; it's a rarity for companies to provide all three in the residential security industry.

The Bad

• Cellular Monitoring (Recommended) Starts at $41.99/Month
  • 36-Month Contract
  • Cancellation Terms

36-Month Contract

Perhaps the least appealing feature of Protect America is its 36-month contract. While lengthy contracts aren't unusual in the security industry, many do-it-yourself providers similar to Protect America have nixed contracts completely; however, a contract is likely where the company makes up for these risks.

Cancellation Terms

The terms of Protect America's contract aren't particularly forgiving either. If customers decide to cancel their contract before the 36-month term, Protect America requires them to pay the full remaining balance (many security providers only require customers to pay a percentage of the remaining balance).

Cellular Monitoring

And while the company flaunts monthly prices "as low as $19.99," the fine print informs us that this cost is for landline monitoring only. For customers who want cellular monitoring and remote access to their system, packages start at $41.99/month.

The Bottom Line

With low monthly fees, zero upfront costs, and a free moving option, Protect America is one of the most affordable home security solutions on the market today. Protect America offers an attractive lifetime warranty on its equipment, a full range of monitoring options, as well as home automation features; however, if you are not interested in signing a long-term contract (which can become expensive if you wish to cancel early), Protect America may not be the best fit. That said, this company will more than likely satisfy the majority of your home security needs, and all at a great price.

Call our recommended rep over at Protect America below.

717 Protect America Reviews

1. Select Your Rating

2. Subject For This Review * (Select all that apply)

0 characters

3. Review Validation*

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Best Company

Thanks for submitting your review!

Next Step: Verify your email

We have sent a verification email to the following email address:

July 27th, 2017 Poway, CA

It’s a self-installed system. They just send over the components, guide you through the process and install it yourself, so that wasn’t difficult. The agents were favorable over the phone. They’ve kept it very simple and straightforward.

July 27th, 2017 Mableton, GA

It was easy to install, and I did it myself. It’s been a while, so I’m sure my system probably needs an update, especially the sensors on the doors and windows. Customer service is pretty good, but I’d think they’d have my phone number by now. My alarm went off the other day, and they were only able to get a hold of my wife.

July 27th, 2017 Country Club Hills, IL

The app has been very helpful because I can program my system, and overall, it’s been a good experience. There haven’t been any problems with the service, and it’s performing the way it was advertised. Besides, it was easy to install, and the representatives have been very helpful.

July 27th, 2017 Little Rock, AR

I haven’t had any bad experiences with them, except for an issue I had with one of the instruments that wasn’t working well. I just called their customer service, and they sent over a new one! It was pretty simple to set up the entire system because somebody was supporting me over the phone.

July 27th, 2017 Coram, NY

The main reason I chose Protect America was because they offer a wireless system. So far, it’s been very good. Every time I call, they answer my questions and everything. We even installed the system ourselves, they just walked us through the process.

July 27th, 2017 Vacaville, CA

Everything has been good, except for the tape. It doesn’t stick very well, and would set the alarm off when it would fall. It happened so many times that the Police warned us that it would cost us $80 the next time it happened. Besides that, I think their customer service has been great.

July 27th, 2017 Opelousas, LA

I’m very satisfied with their customer service and with the product itself. I didn’t want to install, so they sent somebody over, and he did a good job.

July 27th, 2017 Huntingtown, MD

The system is okay, and it was actually very easy to install, but I would like them to call on a regular basis, in order to check on our system. I have to call them to check it, and since I’ve forgotten, it hasn’t been checked in about 6 months.

July 27th, 2017 Fayetteville, GA

They’re very responsive, very informative and very courteous. Plus, they offer the best price.

July 27th, 2017 Stone Mountain, GA

It’s a reasonable system. It does the job. Plus, customer support is alright.

July 27th, 2017 Kissimmee, FL

We had another company, and there was a break in through one of the windows, and the alarm didn’t catch it. On the other hand, Protect America has answered very quickly when the alarm sets off, even if we do it accidentally. When we’re on vacation, we let them know, and they don’t even bother to call us; they just call the Police Department.

July 27th, 2017 Everett, MA

My brother told me that Protect America was really good, and so far, I have no complaints. Their customer support is actually really good, and it’s very easy to install. It’s a very good service.

July 27th, 2017 Decatur, GA

I installed my own wireless equipment, so that was quite easy. So far, it’s been a good equipment. Plus, customer support has been supportive so far.

July 27th, 2017 Clifton, NJ

The equipment has been great! I’ve had them for around 13 years, and I have not considered changing to another company because they’ve been responsive to my needs. They’ve even offered to cut my monitoring cost, without me complaining or requesting. All they did was reach out and help me in any possible way. Absolutely a very positive experience!

July 27th, 2017 Richmond, CA

I’m not tech savvy, and considering it’s a self-install system, the agents were very patient. It wasn’t as overwhelming as I thought it would be. They were very good. Besides, the system has everything we want, all the features.

July 27th, 2017 Lancaster, PA

It’s working pretty good. The agents have been alright, and I even installed the system myself.

July 27th, 2017 Collegeville, PA

Although I don’t have the faintest idea on how to use the system, the representatives have been very good to me, as far as answering any questions, but I really don't have any questions anymore. We've had Protect America for very long time.

July 27th, 2017 Waterford Twp, MI

It was very easy to install, and overall, the system is very good. Every time I’ve had to contact their customer support, they’ve solved all my problems.

July 27th, 2017 Covington, TN

So far, the system has been nice. It’s reliable, and I haven’t had any issues with it. When the alarms go off they call me within a reasonable amount of time. I’m happy with this service.

July 27th, 2017 Cameron, NC

From what I’ve dealt with their customer support, their service has been good. It’s an excellent service, and overall, it’s a good company.