Vivint is a smart home technology provider that offers home security and energy management services for more than one million customers across the United States. Service contracts are generally for 5 years and the monthly fee for 24/7 monitoring begins at $39.99. The wireless home security systems are professionally monitored 24 hours a day with a lifetime equipment warranty. Vivint also has two sister companies, Vivint Solar, which is a seller of top-of-the-line solar panels, and Vivint Internet, which sells high-speed internet. The Vivint Solar company review can be found here, and the Vivint Internet company review can be found here.

Many consumers note their concern about Vivint being a scam, highlighting hidden fees, a difficult cancellation process, and careless customer service. We talk more about this in "The Bad" section below, and you can read all of Vivint security's reviews at the bottom of this page.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
#2 Frontpoint chevron_right
#3 Guardian Protection chevron_right

The Good

• Free Professional Installation
  • 24/7 Professional Monitoring
  • Lifetime Equipment Warranty
  • Voice Control From Amazon Echo
  • Versatile Contracts
  • Home Automation Equipment

Free Professional Installation

Vivint offers three home security plans that are professionally installed by a Vivint technician with no installation fee. This means that your sales rep will organize an appointment and will schedule a technician to come to your home to professionally install the systems at no cost to you.

24/7 Professional Monitoring

Vivint includes 24/7 professional monitoring by certified staff. This means that your alarm will send a signal to a professional monitoring center when a sensor detects a break-in. At this point, the monitoring center will contact you through two-way communication so you can indicate if the break-in is an actual emergency or a mistake.

Lifetime Equipment Warranty

The wireless equipment uses a cellular connection and comes with a lifetime warranty on defective parts repair. A landline phone connection is not required for the systems. Home security plans feature home automation, energy management, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide sensors, and video surveillance services. Additional equipment can be added to each plan as desired. Home automation features can be accessed and controlled through a downloadable app.

Voice Control From Amazon Echo

A useful offering from Vivint is its compatibility with Amazon Echo, which allows users to control certain features through voice technology. Customers can also customize settings for certain events to happen automatically occur at specific times during the day. Customers can control light switches, thermostat settings, and door locks and receive alerts if they forget to arm the system when they leave home. Compatibility with smart home products such as Amazon Echo is also helpful for improving energy efficiency in your home.

Versatile Contracts

Vivint offers contracts on a month-to-month, 42-month, or 60-month basis. All are at 0% interest. Other details regarding contracts are unclear. However, it's impressive to see a home security company that has so many contract variations. Make sure to ask your sales rep the hard questions to be sure you understand the differences between each contract.

Home Automation Equipment

Aside from the typical door sensors, control panels, window sensors, motion detectors, and yard signs, Vivint Home Security is one of the pioneers of home automation technology. Through its mobile app, Vivint offers these automation capabilities:

• Smart thermostat - Adjust home temperature remotely to improve energy efficiency
  • Remote garage door Control - Open and close the garage door from anywhere
  • Doorbell camera - Monitor video feed of your home
  • Indoor camera & outdoor camera - Monitor all areas of your home with 24/7 security, night vision, and auto-recorded clips
  • Video camera cloud storage - Store your home's video feed and access it on any device
  • Smart locks - Lock and unlock doors remotely and get notified of unauthorized entry

Vivint's mobile app is available in the app stores for both iPhone and Android devices and you can use it to manage and control these automation systems.

The Bad

• Vivint Home Security Reviews: Is Vivint a Scam?
  • Legal Action Taken Against Vivint
  • $99 Moving Fee
  • Vivint Home Security Cost

Vivint Home Security Reviews: Is Vivint a Scam?

With hundreds of negative reviews, many noting Vivint as a scam, the company has a low star rating on Best Company. Common complaints include a difficult cancellation process, poor customer service, slow response time, and expensive pricing. Be sure to read Vivint home security reviews below to read what else consumers have to say about the company.

Legal Action Taken Against Vivint

Government action was taken against Vivint regarding the company's alleged misrepresentation of provided services and for employing an unlicensed company agent. Other complaint issues involved trouble with service cancellation, the installation of faulty equipment, and pushy door-to-door sales reps. Read Vivint reviews below to see what customers have to say about these topics and the security company overall.

$99 Moving Fee

Vivint charges customers a $99 move fee if they transfer services to a new residence within the first year of the signed contract. Customers will also need to obtain and pay for an alarm permit from their local municipality and renew this permit on an annual basis. Many home security companies offer moving services completely free of charge.

Vivint Home Security Cost

Vivint's basic home security package starts at $39.99/month, and there is no activation fee or equipment fee. Although this is a relatively low monthly monitoring fee, the basic security package comes with limited equipment: one touchscreen control panel, two sensors (your choice of door or window), and one motion sensor. If you want additional equipment or home automation capabilities, you will have to pay closer to $50-$60/month. Vivint also does not list its specific pricing on its website, so you will have to call a customer service representative to gather all pricing information.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Vivint home security systems feature a comprehensive selection of home automation smart home products, video surveillance with security cameras, and energy management features with free installation and 24/7 professional monitoring. The company's unique offering is its equipment's compatibility with Amazon Echo voice control technology; however, the company is not upfront about pricing for its security systems and has received numerous customer service complaints as well as noted issues with equipment quality, the cancellation process, and slow response time. Legal action was also taken against Vivint regarding misrepresented information of services and employing an unlicensed company agent.

We suggest researching top-rated home security companies before making your purchasing decision. Vivint home security reviews below will tell you what customers have to say about the home security provider and its security systems.

View Best Home Security Companies

Reviews from #1 Home Security Company

Protect America

DCH
October 11th, 2018 | Hampton, VA

Jenny was great. We recently had to move due to a threat to my home. My old setup wasn’t effective. After speaking to Jenny my wife and I started to brainstorm with her and she kept giving us options that were affordable and EXACTLY what we were looking for. Now can’t wait to get it in and installed. Rush ship it please 😄

Kelly Geels
September 17th, 2018 | Visalia, CA

Fast set up and great customer service, system works well. Love that equipment was free and no contracts! Perfect for our family

1.9
starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border

starstar_halfstar_borderstar_borderstar_border
Cecilio
June 26th, 2019 Amarillo, TX DETAILS

I dont understand why everyone says vivint is a scam. It's a great company with great tech that keep you connected to the emergency services and allows you to have a true smart home experience. There are so many arguments I hate reading on these revives. I've read about people getting mad about having to pay to upgrade to a new panel but last time I checked, you still have to pay the full price for a new phone when you're upgrading that as well. People talk about horror stories about sales reps, but in reality every person is different. Just because you have 1 bad server when you're eating at a chain like outback or red lobster, it doesnt mean you're going to stop trusting that company. And the one that really gets me is the whole cancellation trial. The part that these reviews arent telling you is that they get written an "NOC" notice of cancellation and get asked on a digital survey if it was explained to them. I've been a happy customer for 6 years now and have actually been able to successfully stop my Christmas lights from getting stolen because of my door bell camera. If you're reading this, just know that the product is great and these reviews dont do the company any justice. What you're reading are the reviews of the 1% of unsatisfied people, but if the company is such a scam as people are saying it is, why is it so successful and why do they literally own a whole NBA arena in Utah? It really sucks that us satisfied customers arent out here trying to defend the company as much as we should. That's my peace on this.

Taylor
June 26th, 2019 Rosedale, NY DETAILS

Buyers BEWARE!!!! There should be options in the minus rating for customers to select. My rating of “ 1- star” does not accurately reflect the services of this company. It is one of the most inept companies ever. There’s no database (it appears) to which employees may refer for information and FACTS on customers’ account, hence erroneous calls about billing, services provided etc., etc

Christy
June 25th, 2019 Denham Springs, LA DETAILS

I would rate zero stars if I could. I was also told that there was no contract with Vivint. That my only obligation was to the finance company I’m paying for the equipment. What a joke this service is! My cameras are offline more than they are on yet, the rest of my home has no problem with internet service. This tells me the problem is with the service/equipment/software, NOT my internet. I sent an email to customer service with complaints about my mostly nonfunctional cameras @ least 2 months ago & have yet to receive a reply. You are told if rebooting the panel (repeatedly, multiple times/day) & resetting the cameras doesn’t correct the issue, that you can delete the cameras & add them back. However, their “instructions” for doing this don’t include anything about the outdoor cameras. So, as I type this, i’ve got 2 cameras that I can’t get reconnected to the panel. The instructions they do provide for some of the equipment is incomplete which further adds to the frustration. After finally figuring out how to reconnect the doorbell camera (which I had to figure out on my own due to their incomplete instructions) within 1-2 minutes it was offline AGAIN! Now, combine that with the fact that when they did the initial install, they damaged my siding & left it for me to find as well as didn’t reattach the siding they’d taken down. The salesman was so overly pushy he made me very uncomfortable. He was downright insistent on coming into my home. I made him remain outside until he started dancing around begging to use my bathroom. Once he did that, he stayed inside. Walked into my kitchen, through my livingroom. All unwelcome as I was very clear about the fact that I didn’t want him inside to begin with. They basically make their sale by making you uncomfortable to the point that you agree to purchase just so they will leave! I could go on, but I’ve got to figure out what to do about these cameras that likely still won’t work properly once I finally do get them re-connected to my panel anyway. I’m so over this company! All I can do now is post my personal experiences & hope others don’t make the same mistake.

Veronica
June 25th, 2019 Moreno Valley, CA

Vivint they withdraw money out of my account without my consent .Be very careful if the installer ask for your credit card .They withdrew two hundred and ninety dollars without my consent. .They refuse to refund my money. The installer told me they needed my credit card to make sure it was on file instead they withdrew money from my account.

Ronny
June 25th, 2019 Fort Morgan, CO DETAILS

If it was possible to give this company zero stars I would. Stay away from Vivent! The salesman swore that I could cancel at any time, my mistake for not reading the fine print. You are buying the hardware and monitors and paying for the monitoring service. YOU CAN cancel the service but you still have to pay for the hardware even though it only works with their service. Their doorbell is supposed to notify you if someone comes to the door, it supposed to give you the ability to speak to the person without answering the door but it doesn't work! More often than not the person has already come to the door, rung the doorbell and walked away before my phone is even notified. The "talk" feature almost never works and I've had to have the doorbell replaced twice and had the service people out at least three times in the first four months we had their crappy service. You would be much better off just going to Home Depot or Lowe's and buying an entire security system for $800 than spending any money on this predatory company. I've tried paying my bill online and their website wasn't working, I spoke with four different support people and one told me the problem would take at least four hours to fix! The last support person I spoke with figured out the problem was with my email address, she fixed it and withing two minutes it was working. I don't know who she is but they should give her a raise since she seems to be the only one with any sense.

Amanda McCausland
June 24th, 2019 Victorville, CA DETAILS

Unethical sales practices!!! The salesperson at the door told me there was no contract but I tried to cancel the service and learned that I am in a 5 YEAR CONTRACT!!! I specifically asked the salesperson if there was a contract because I planned on moving. he told me there was no contract. The will say anything to get you to sign there little tablet and steal your hard-earned money. Don't do business with them!!! You will regret it!!!

Kelley
June 21st, 2019 Coweta, OK DETAILS

A salesman came to my door the year of 2016 selling me the alarm system. I was under the impression of a 12 month contract. I tried to cancel the contract. I was told I signed a 5 year contract with 2 years remaining. I would have never agreed to 5 years. The same thing happened to my aunt. Love to file class action lawsuit. Do not sign contract with Vivent!! All of these bad reviews are true to my experience. I rate Vivint no stars.

Mark Barber
June 21st, 2019 Gary, IN DETAILS

system was put in on the 16 on may 2019 called no less then 12 times , smart hub not working door bell not working the 2 key pads i had to buy not working poor service

Del Skinner
June 21st, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

Not a bad system when it works. Seems that every few days the Smart Hub goes offline and sometimes can be reset on a restart but not always. Cameras always going off as well. Very difficult to get anyone to fix it. Each service call requires listening to how the system was set up wrong in the first place and how they are the “all master” to fix it but will require additional visible wires etc... WOULD NOT RECOMMEND

Diane peace
June 21st, 2019 Verona, KY DETAILS

Fast response time——excellent costumer service

Ms. T
June 21st, 2019 Anchorage, AK DETAILS

If I could give zero stars here, I would. Our camera and garage door alarm frequently disconnect and are unusable. We'll be given the green screen that confirms our home is disarmed, only to open our garage or door and have the alarms set off. The worst is a misleading contract. We believed we were agreeing to a 3-year contract and our confirmation email says the active dates fall between 2017-2020. However, the contract itself was mistakenly labeled as a 5-year contract so guess what Vivint is holding us to? Regardless that we are unhappy with the equipment. Regardless that my husband is overseas and we're moving. Found on their military cancellation page: “Vivint will cancel a service agreement for active duty or reserve military personnel who are deployed to a place we cannot provide service. We will cancel their service agreement if they provide proof of deployment overseas, proof of relocation to a military base, or proof of relocation to a non-serviceable area.” The agent I spoke to claimed we will still owe the money remaining on the contract plus $1,640 dollars if I were to cancel today; essentially asking me to buy out the 5-year contract. I am so angry "60 months" was put on this contact, that wasn't what was discussed, put together, or agreed to - but low and behold the final copy claims it. Regardless of the confirmed dates letting us out of the contract in 2020. This is a scam. Shoddy technology, outdated equipment, poor customer service, and a company that does not honor their own policies. I am disgusted and literally trapped in this contract. I will never recommend this company to anyone.

Andrew
June 21st, 2019 Pearland, TX DETAILS

Vivint salesman Jordan R showed up at my door in Houston. Stated that he was offering all sorts of free equipment and installation to 12 eligible lucky houses in the neighborhood, with the only cost being to allow him to advertise vivint with an orange lawn sign. Declared that most of my neighbors were eagerly signing up and highly recommend vivint, and I therefore had a very limited time to take advantage of the sweet deal. Cleverly finagled his way into the foyer under pretense of using light and looking at our old existing system (no longer functioning) which he wasn’t actually concerned with viewing it in the slightest, and then insisted on coming into my elderly mothers room to talk to both of us simultaneously (meaning he really wanted to run a hard credit check on both of us). Started tallying up features and trying to vaguely gloss over the part about financing $1300+ worth of equipment with a 5-year contract (equipment he just said would be free, with the only cost being to rent him lawn space with an orange sign). Accused my 70 year old retired mother of being less than smart for letting homeowners insurance lapse (as if it were somehow his business). I asked what would happen in a month or 2 if I decided I didn’t want all this stuff. He explained that it would belong to me and that although it’s under “lifetime warranty” I could never get out of owning it. I appreciate him being honest about that part. I explained that we had just interviewed with 2 other security companies, expressing interest in reactivating the old system. Both of those companies offered the same “relevant” security features minus the smart thermostat crap (I’ve never had a lot of difficulty adjusting the one on the wall now), and smart door locks I see no reason to have. He claimed that the existing hardwired system was vastly inferior to his profoundly expensive hardware, and that by not agreeing to a 5-year relationship with vivint I am being a cheapskate with my family’s safety. I have decided to signup with another smaller, older company that will reactivate the existing hardware for a couple hundred bucks for $30/month NO CONTRACT. They don’t do home automation but they also don’t have ten thousand people online calling them criminals. I will also install my own security cameras. No reason to have your security company associated with your cameras- it’s not like someone sits there and watches for burglars. DIY on cameras is cheaper, easier and more reliable. Incredibly pushy, aggressive agitated dude with an agenda! He really didn’t want me to do my homework. Towards the end he started offering to shave off chunks of several hundred dollars at a time (if you could have offered that all along you should have). It felt like buying an old beater from a used car salesmen with gold teeth, except this guy appears to be some kind of Mormon from Utah. How do you reconcile taking advantage of your neighbors in this way in light of your Christy faith? Thank the god of all Mormons I didn’t fall for this notorious trap from this Utah scumbag. Sounds like I would have never escaped. I would like to add that “home automation” is a cool idea in theory, but it’s impractical, expensive and unnecessary. When you automate the mundane aspects of your life- like smart thermostats and doorlocks, you make those simple things dependent on a lot of variables. A lot of things have to go right for it to work. Electrified hardware malfunction, WIFI signal and internet speed/connectivity, ever-changing software patches, updates and bugs, local interference from something as simple as a light bulb or wall, the company maintaining proper documentation that you’re paid up etc... All of these things now have the power to make your locks and thermostat fail completely. They advertise as if it makes you more independent, free and capable, capitalizing on our inherent laziness. But remember even if it works you still have to make some effort to adjust these contraptions. You must tell Alexa and hope she cooperates, or you must reach over and open the app on your phone and adjust it from there. You’re still exerting yourself to modify these things, it’s not like the smart machine is telepathic. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Think twice before making such basic things so utterly dependent on so many variables outside your control.

Philip G Nussear
June 21st, 2019 Hagerstown, MD DETAILS

Good company, they lock you into a long term expensive contract and then offer more at a lower price and you're screwed. After your long term is up, it's nearly impossible to cancel.

Gail
June 19th, 2019 Independence, KY DETAILS

The whole process has been a disaster. So many lies it's unreal. Still going through getting out of this mess. They damage stuff and don't repair it, one lie I hear several times before I let them drill into our house. Don't believe them, nothing gets fixed. They lie about the free trial period, had to fight hard for that. Now I am finding out they went ahead and charged my credit card before the trial period was even up. I am so angry over this I could just scream. Customer service is of no use and so rude. Don't anybody sign up for this. Wish I had read reviews before signing.

Nellie M
June 19th, 2019 Lawrenceville, GA

i was visited by a Vivint sales person named Clayton. He used all kinds of deception to get past the door and into the house. Once in he gave his sales pitch and all came to an end when he asked for my social security to find out if l am approved. l felt uncomfortable with giving him my social and told him l would not be able to continue. To my surprised he tried to come back to my house a couple of days later but l did not answer the door. Come to find out now because l have an alert on my credit that he ran my credit without my permission and l had not given him the number. Watch out for this company be careful.

T Walker
June 19th, 2019 Denver, CO DETAILS

I had Vivint for 14 days and have had nothing but issues with them. They charged my card for 260 for taxes and fees which was never mentioned. They said they were going to refund me half of my money and credit my account the rest. Never received my refund. A couple days later my credit score drops 60 points. I have called to cancel and the guy said I couldn't cancel unless the sales rep that signed me up extends it. The sales rep told me he couldn't extend it because it's not up to him. Literally going back and forth with them. Vivint is not it. They are a scam.

Alicia Chin
June 18th, 2019 South Amboy, NJ DETAILS

I meant negative (-) one star. This company is totally underhanded and deceiving. Make sure you read all the fine print unless you want to be stuck in a contract for yearssss...

Toni
June 18th, 2019 Allen Park, MI DETAILS

DO NOT buy a home security service from Vivint!!!!!!!! VERY EXPENSE and once you are locked into their contract you do not get a break or change on rates. AND, they claim I renewed my contract verbally over the phone for 4 more years but can’t provide me with a copy of that verbal conversation without a Subpoena but they will have some call to discuss the conversation I had with this person. Managers and supervisors cannot help. Only this special department. I have been waiting 5 long years for this contract to expire only to find out they extended it 4 more year from a conversation I had with one of their reps. I will have to WAIT to hear back from this special department to transcribe my conversation to me. DO NOT USE VIVINT!!!!!!! Watch what you say and what words to use in a conversation with them. DO NOT USE VIVINT !!!!! Sitting and waiting to hear back from them. Definitely will update this when I have a conversation with them. SO ANGRY to be taken advantage of.......

Jason C
June 18th, 2019 Huntersville, NC DETAILS

I don’t know if we were just lucky to get a great sales rep and a great technician, or if the other reviewers were just incredibly unlucky to get horrible sales reps/technicians, but our experience with Vivint has been great so far. I’m not a fan of sales people knocking on my door, but I had seen the same guy on my street a couple of times as I was coming home from work. The fact that he didn’t pounce on me the minute I pulled into my driveway is actually what made me answer the door when he knocked on Saturday afternoon. He was polite (asked me if I wanted him to take off his shoes when he came inside), professional, knowledgeable, and very transparent about all of the costs. He even handled it very well when my wife told him about all of the horrible posts she had read on Next Door about the other Vivint sales reps in the area. Once we selected our equipment and he went over the current and future charges in detail, he arranged for an installer to come within the next 20 minutes. The installer was just as polite, professional, and knowledgeable as the sales rep, and he did a great job of cleaning up after himself. Bottom line: we are as happy with our sales/install experience as we are with the equipment/app/service. I honestly feel bad for the reviewers who got stuck with bad sales reps and techs, as our experience led us to believe that the team we got was the standard for Vivint.

ES
June 18th, 2019 Brighton, CO

This afternoon one of their sales people stopped by to sell me their system. I agreed and then found out that, without my knowledge, signed me up for Lifelock annual renewal, they said I would have 30 days to cancel, but only had 3, was told that if I cancelled they would restore my previous system, this is a lie, I was told they would cancel and buyout my previous contract, this is a lie. I was told if I signed an electronic copy of the contract I would receive an electronic copy in the mail, again a lie. Be aware of this company, they will say anything to get you to sign up and then trap you for 5 years telling you that it is a month to month contract.

DANIEL G LIVINGSTON
June 18th, 2019 New Braunfels, TX DETAILS

Purchased Vivint system to combine my existing system with theirs. I did not want a monitored system which the sales rep assured me I could simply purchase the equipment. Service tech installed and advised me I needed to have my system monitored for at least 1 month to activate the equipment. Equipment was already installed so I agreed but with the stipulation it was for only 1 month. He called it in and I told the service rep I would only approve 1 month and they agreed. 4 months later, I had to call in and have all monthly charged refunded. This worked well for 2 years but was recently informed the would start charging me $19.99plus tax to use their app. What a ripoff!!! Very dishonest business practices and I will never own another Vivint product.

Jennifer Elek
June 18th, 2019 Savannah, GA DETAILS

First of all, the monthly monitoring is $50, not $40. Not that that’s a huge difference where your safety and sense of security is concerned, but that’s the business. JS. I have so many qualms with Vivint it isn’t even funny. Foremost, is that when I got my system it was only capable Of having 4 cameras linked to it. I wanted at least 6, but 4 was their capability, so that’s what I did. 2 years later, they’re capable of syncing 6 cameras to the monitoring system. I was told when I called about this that I had to pay for a new panel (at the cost of $400). Now, keep in mind, that you BUY your equipment from Vivint to begin with... so I’ve already paid $400 for the panel that’s monitoring all of my equipment... and they want me to purchase a second panel (that’s capable of what I asked for to begin with) without letting me exchange or even get a minor credit for the panel I’ve already purchased. That’s the first problem. Another would be that I consistently have camera equipment failure ; and when I call to have it fixed, they want me to pay to have someone come out and fix it. This wouldn’t be an issue, but I have a loan out for ALL of the equipment. Which means, technically, it’s theirs until I pay it off, and they still won’t cover the actual warranty on their own equipment!!! Seriously?! I was told by a tech that the equipment is under warranty as long as I am still paying the monthly monitoring fee, which I am, and I’m still given the shaft by customer service every single time there’s an issue that needs addressing. If I wasn’t in a contract for the next 3 years, I’d drop them like a hot potato. I have been perpetually displeased with the (lack of) service they provide for 2 years now (yes, its a 5 year contract if you can’t buy the equipment up front). I urge you to look elsewhere in security for your home. These are the larger issues I’ve chosen to write about. The customer service reps are unconcerned at best. The techs have been great, but you have to cough up to even deal with one of them to begin with. Look elsewhere if at all possible.

Lilly
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

We got Vivint security after our friends recommend it and I love it. I feel a lot more safe especially with my kids. And it’s easy for me to learn and deal with so I know what’s going on. 100% recommend getting this.

Maxi
June 13th, 2019 Chino, CA DETAILS

We love our system works great having peace of mind at all times. I believe people forget that it’s a high end smart home system that will cone to use in case of an emergency. All the cameras are like a sunday with a cherry on top. When we had a break in the police arrived in minutes, it was the middle of the night and my four children were sound asleep. Definitely worth paying for if it’s going to save your entire family from a home invasion. It’s like car insurance you never appreciate it till you actually total your car and and it’s covered in your insurance and It’s less expensive then a cell phone bill !!! The truth is for 2019 it’s an amazing home smart system.

Janeya
June 12th, 2019 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

Complete rip off! Had a sales agent (Matthew P) who knocked on my door & informed me that my home already has pre-installed Vivint equipment & if I continue with their service, I will not be charged installation fees. I told Matt that I am going to be purchasing a home in the next few months so anything related to pulling my credit I am not interested in. He assured me that a soft pull would be taken. What a liar he is. I got not 1 but 2 hard pulls! Matt then told me that I would have 30 days to try out the service & if I don't like it to contact Vivint & that Vivint would even send me a $200 gift card for giving them a try. After 2 weeks of trying out the service, I called to cancel. And only reason I wanted to cancel was because I found out I am being financed for the equipment that I was told was already pre-installed! It hit my credit report & dropped my score -58 points!! So I called to cancel only to be told that I actually only had 3 days from the day of installation to cancel and being that I am outside this window, I cannot cancel my service until I pay off my equipment. The blasphemy of these people!

Stephanie Garrett
June 12th, 2019 Winston-Salem, NC

Sales Rep Brandon along with his manager Aaron were very rude and unprofessional. I would never get this system because of that. Vivint technicians came to my home. When I decided not to get the system, the intentionally destroyed my ADT keypad and mother board. When I called ADT, the technician came out...the charge is 350.00 to replace my system. This is the worst experience that I have had with a salesman. ADT for life.

Chad B.
June 12th, 2019 Durango, CO DETAILS

While living in Northern Nevada a Viviant representative sold us their system ensuring us that if we moved we could cancel our contract without penalty. After we sold our home and tried to cancel the contract Vivint charged us $1200. If I could I would give them a 0 star rating for lying and cheating!

Shirley
June 12th, 2019 DETAILS

Don’t get Vivint they will ruin your credit. They take out payments that your unaware of. The customer service is so messed up that you get a different answer all the time. I spoke a manager about an issue on my panel and he didn’t know how to fix it. How can you sell a product that you don’t know anything about?

Sales Rep Horror
June 12th, 2019 Randallstown, MD

Yesterday I had one of the worse and most frightening encounters with a sales rep James M, from Vivint, Inc., who cursed me, threatened and dared me to call the police on him because “he was a white man”. I heard a knock at my door so I looked out of my kitchen window and saw what I thought was my daughters car so I immediately went to the door and opened it only to find a white gentleman standing on my porch who looked every bit of a sales person. Even though there are signs posted all over the development where I live that soliciting is prohibited we get sales persons very often. I told him “no thank you” and I shut my door. After closing my door, I could hear him from inside my home yelling and cursing. I then open my door and told him to get off of my property and that if he didn’t leave, that I would allow my dogs to attack him and closed my door. Still, he’s standing on my front porch, belligerent and disrespectful. I opened my door and demanded him to get off of my property and leave the premises of my home or I would get my shotgun. Instead of him leaving in peace he told me “I’m a white man call the police I dare you”! And in a very condescending manor, he even offered to call the police for me saying “I’ll call them for you” and appeared to be dialing on his cell phone as if he was calling the police. I told him not to threaten me and dare me to call the police and demanded him to leave me alone and told him that at this point he was trespassing and harassing me and that I felt threatened. I told him that he had no right to knock on my door trying to force anything on me that he needed to say or was to sell. He continued to trespass and curse me telling me that he wasn’t selling anything and that he was with the “county”. This continued even after I told him I was not interested and told him to get off of my property. I told him that I didn’t care who he was with or what he had to say, and if the county needed to reach out to me that they would send a letter. He continued to disrespect me in the most threatening manner and would not leave my property. He then told me that “he will not ever knock on my door again and that no one from his “company” would knock on my door”! He continued to curse me in front of my property, on my property and in front of my neighbors. I called the police and will be filing a formal complaint for trespassing and harassment. This person presented himself as if he was in the right. As if he had the right to knock on my door, at my residence where I live, and to force on me, whatever it was that he needed to say or sell and threaten me with calling the police because he was a “white man” even after being told several times to get off of my property. His behavior was very intimidating, frightening, threatening and out right disrespectful. Is this how Vivit trains their sales reps? To be demanding, intimidating threatening, and belligerent in order to make a sale? As a woman, I felt very fearful of whatever his intentions might have been. And with him daring me to call the police because he was a “white man” sent a message to me that this man believes that he can do whatever he wants because he is a “white man” and is above and protected by the law for his disgusting actions. This man’s actions inflicted fear upon me. I was very afraid as I did not know who he was and what his intentions were as he was very intimidating, forceful and belligerent all while representing Vivint, Inc.! At this point I feel that he is capable of ANYTHING. I’m thinking he is someone to perhaps come back and try to rob my home, rape or kill me! I have no idea at this point because his story was conflicting and his actions were beyond frightening. I didn’t find out his name or the company that he represented until the police arrived and obtained that information. The police instructed him to leave and to not return to my residence and told me that if he did to call them and that he will be arrested for trespassing. Signed, Threatened, disrespected and in fear

Gaby Garcia
June 10th, 2019 El Paso, TX DETAILS

Vivint is a complete joke! First they trap you with a 5 year contract, and their system and service is terrible! The cameras go offline all the time , the doorbell works when it wants to, and we always have a hard time controlling our thermostat. Do yourself a favor and just go to Best Buy and install a security system yourself!

Catherine
June 10th, 2019 Newport News, VA DETAILS

The tech that came out was very knowledgeable and knew what he was doing, so far I have no issues at all. Excellent customer service, those that are having issues I am sorry your having a rough time but I love my security system

Sean
June 10th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

I was a big Vivint fan till about 3 weeks ago. They now want to add a charge for the app that I was told I would never have to pay for. This time it's $20 more a month if I want to continue to use an app for the system. next what.... too many cheaper options. Hue doesn't​ charge me to use the app for the lights. Google doesn't charge for its app, nor does Amazon or apple. I can go on and on.

DC
June 10th, 2019 Pooler, GA DETAILS

The salesman was nice and courteous and yet professional. He was very knowledgeable about the products and services offered. He came back when scheduled. Installed the same night. Installation was perfect. The installer was well informed and had everything we needed.

Doug Morgan
June 7th, 2019 Blue Springs, MO DETAILS

It starts with a shyster salesman that came to my door one evening, introduced himself, and proceeded to tell me that he represented Vivint and he had a special deal. He was trying to get a few customers in my subdivision to try his security system and the only cost to me would be to let them place their sign in front of my house. He indicated that my neighbor had just installed the system, which was true, and he needed a few more to install their system. It turns out that the free stuff ended when you installed enough to make it work, like sensors and cameras. However, I was about to acquire another security system so I allowed myself to be persuaded to allow them to install a system. The installers were very amateur. Drilling holes where needed not be, using tools that were not meant for the job, and leaving bare wires exposed after the installation. Had them come back to correct the problems and they just made them worse. The system has not worked reliably. False notifications and alarms, Then failure to detect an intruder and notify. Long story short, I am a senior citizen and the contract gave me 30 days to get out of the contract. I have scheduled them to come back and remove the system. I'm sure I'll have repair work to do when they leave.

Michael Mendoza
June 5th, 2019 Rancho Cucamonga, CA DETAILS

Have my Vivint system now for 2 years and replaced my old alarm system. It is an amazing Smart Home Solution for us. This is a comprehensive system that does everything we need when we are at home or away on vacation. Service has been excellent when needed. I would recommend this to anyone who wants a top of the line Smart Home Solution. For those just looking for a doorbell cam there's cheaper stuff. But when it comes to my family and protecting my property, I am not interested in cheap.

Denise
June 3rd, 2019 Villas, NJ DETAILS

Stuck in a 4 year contract at $76 a month. It freezes up more then a little bit. I can’t wait for this contract to end. It constantly reboots itself so you can’t turn off the alarm unless your app is handy. I feel like we are being ripped off!

Luna
June 3rd, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

They have been very good to me and my family. Whenever there is a alarm going off by us triggering the system they have called with in seconds. On the phone they have been great and if anything comes up they have taken care of it immediately. So bottom line they have been great to us and we are very satisfied with Vivint.

William Anderson
June 3rd, 2019 Grand Island, NE DETAILS

For years we had vivint door, window, fire alarms and had no issues. On March 8th 2019 we upgraded and added doorbell camera and a camera for the garage. Neither work yet. Today is june 1st 2019. Technicians have been out several times for hours at a time. I have spent hours on the phone. Yet nothing is resolved. Tech support tell me that we just have to wait for the software update. Well that would be fine but i still get a bill every month. Also we spent a lot of money on equipment that dont work. Come get that equipment and bring back my money, but they wont do that because i agreed to a contract for 2 years to pay for equipment that does not work. Its no wonder vivint is now rated 24th in security companies.

Melanie C
June 3rd, 2019 Brandon, FL DETAILS

We have had nothing but issues with Vivint. Non-existent customer service, service does not work (doorbell camera is blurry and doesn't record all the time, system disconnects all the time, false alarms ect), they will charge you to send out a tech to fix their broken and non working equipment, will tag on small charges to increase your bill randomly if you don't pay attention. AVOID VIVINT

Randy Carmicle
June 3rd, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

PLEASE DO NOT USE VIVINT! I purchased Vivint Smart Home system. over a year ago and have nothing but problems with is since day one. I have had 2 touch panels and 2 doorbell cameras replaced. It takes up to 5 min. for an image to appear making it impossible to view or talk to whoever is at my door. Every time I call customer service they tell my they are downloading my system with an update. The problem is never fixed, and new ones crop up. Do yourself a favor go to CPI or ADT.

Barbara R.
May 31st, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS

Purchased Vivant cameras, doorbell camera, Nest thermostat and security system for $2000+ three weeks ago. Installer had to stretch process over two days because he had to take care of emergency calls for other customers or didn't have the parts with him. He was polite, but unable to complete setup for the Nest thermostat and left us to troubleshoot. Whole system has been glitchy since it was installed with cameras repeatedly going off-line, base unit loosing wireless connection with the router (which is three feet away), thermostat triggering AC to come on too late and stay on too long. Thermostat failed today due to a loose wire (according to its error code) so called troubleshooting at Vivant. On phone over 1 hour with tech support who had me throwing breakers and trying to pull wires myself (I am not an electrician!). They would not agree to send out a technician on their 3 week old installation until I insisted and the best they could do is 48 hours from now. My own HVAC repairman will be out in 8 hours to remove the Nest and replace it with their original, working thermostat. Sorry I bought this system. Do NOT recommend it.

Kade
May 29th, 2019 Provo, UT DETAILS

Best company I have ever seen. Had it for about 6 years now and they have always taken care of me. They come out whenever I have an issue and they actually waive the tech fee all the time. Moved the system to my new house and upgraded to cameras. Amazing system! They set a perimeter around my house with the cameras and I’ve had them for a few months now with no issues. I love he smart home aspect but yet vivint has called me every time the alarm goes off so I know they are watching over me. I love the peace of mind. Awesome system highly suggest!

Sarah
May 28th, 2019 Mountain Home, AR DETAILS

Vivint is terrible! I will be going with someone else soon. The guy who installed it destroyed my walls, didn't patch correctly, and the smart lock is loose and falls over to the sides. Since then, the system malfunctions, won't record properly or doesn't record at all. Days will go by without a recording when there has been plenty of activity. Or it has stopped recording during activity. The few times we've called with problems the customer service reps are beyond rude. They want to charge for everything. I should have done more research. I'm going to look into Protect America instead.

Doe
May 28th, 2019 Brook Park, OH DETAILS

Buyer beware. After installation of the overpriced equipment in both mine and my mother's home, the systems worked for about a month. After having techs 'fix' the problem(s) multiple times we simply gave up using the system. The fact that both systems had issues repeatedly tells me it wasn't an isolated incident, more like the norm. We honored our contract and promptly cancelled service ... in March. It is now May and they are STILL charging us for service. Horrible customer service and not deserving of one star, IMO.

None
May 28th, 2019 Kernersville, NC DETAILS

Horrible experience!! Been with Vivint for seven years and I relocated moving them with me. After two years at the current location, I had a motion sensor issue. When FINALLY getting someone to give me answers I was told they “piggybacked onto the previous equipment in the home” and I need to sign another 5 year contract. They stated the are not responsible for equipment already in the house??? The next month my payment was withdrawn from my bank account and was $10.00 more than the amount I have paid since I went with Vivint. Obviously, they will get the money from you if you don’t sign a new contract. New customers will be treated fairly, but stay with them and they could care less about you! I will be cancelling my service as soon as my new install is completed.

Wendy
May 23rd, 2019 Republic, WA

Absolute WORST company to deal with!! For some odd reason Centurylink transferred me to them when I ordered internet. The gal was a salesperson that tried to sell me a very overpriced security system. I told her that I wasn’t interested and might be in the future, I wanted to do my research first. I then received a text “confirmation for installation.” I responded to cancel, I hadn’t agreed to installation. After all, I had read the reviews and learned how overpriced it was. The response I received was that I was required to call in. How is that?? In writing is upheld legally, verbal is not. I told them that I wasn’t going to call, he had it in writing, and to cancel it. That guys name was Matthew S. I know how it goes, you call in and they try to pressure you. Nobody showed up at my house but low and behold...I see a charge on my debit card for 148.99. When I called in I was told that was for a deposit, that I didn’t authorize. Devin was extremely argumentative. Told me he could see the text messages and everything else on my account. But, what a surprise, wasn’t able to see who or any details about the charge or agreement for installation on my account. Fraudulent crooks if you ask me!! They screw you and steal your money before ever even becoming a customer! Oh...and thanks Century Link for sending them my info. Good on ya.

Sandra Abbott
May 23rd, 2019 Lincoln, AL DETAILS

This is May, & I ordered back in October a home security system through Vivint. After initial installation, and after the installer left my home, it worked for a couple of hours. I tried to get someone out to fix it, but they claimed my personal “passcode” was incorrect & they would not talk to me. I went on line & changed my credit card info to a canceled card & they called me when they didn’t get payment. It takes a couple of weeks but they do send someone out to “fix it” (I was six weeks without service ). He came, & he left, & it stopped working. Call again, go through all the unplug, plug back in, remove panel, put panel back, ok we are sending someone out again. Repeat, he leaves & doesn’t work, & I call again. This time the person on the phone was irritated with me, and let me know that next month I will have been with the company for three months, and I will have to start to pay for service calls if this continues. For 9 weeks, & $214 I have had a service I can’t use, & I’m being threatened with having to pay money to make it work. No, this crap is unserviceable, I sent the letter telling them to cancel, they came & took their equipment & I thought I was done. No, the bills started piling up, and collection phone calls started coming in. They never canceled my service, therefore I still owe the bill every month. They took the equipment in January, and this is May. Every month I’m on the phone with them, demanding they stop charging me, & refund me. This company is truly a nightmare. We bought ring & it works well.

Mr. Flo
May 23rd, 2019 Chula Vista, CA DETAILS

Worst company ever! They lied about pretty much everything. They said their equipment is under lifetime warranty. When new equipment version comes they’ll replace it for free. And also when you move address, they’ll move your equipment for free. Well guess what... they are legal scammers.

Lucy
May 22nd, 2019 Springfield, MO DETAILS

This company seems good until you get a few months and later with them. We got roped into a contract via the services and a loan on the equipment. For the first few months the system worked great. Our dogs could run around the house while we were gone and everything worked great. Suddenly a few months in our dogs start setting off the motion detector. And on multiple occasions with no one trying to break in the alarm goes off in the middle of the night waking us at 3 am. None of this has been as bad as us trying to cancel though. We sold our home and since we would not be allowed to use the system in our apartment called to cancel. We put together the pay off money. and got everything ready. Well, we had to call the loan company directly, pay off the equipment, then call Vivint to give them the confirmation number to prove we had paid it off. Then we had to give written notice in an email of our desire to end services including another number. Then we had to call them again and after over a month we are still fighting them to disconnect services. Just today they called the cops on the new homeowners... Do not go with this company.

Brad
May 16th, 2019 Longview, TX DETAILS

I just attempted to close my Vivint account. They told me I had to email request to cancel service with a reason for my cancellation. Really? Okay, my wife went ahead and did it. The supervisor waved the 30 days that you have to give them notice, but then I got charged again this month. When I called they said they didn't get the email. I can't prove they didn't get it and they implied I was lying. The customer service is horrible. They're policies are designed to cheat and steal. Last year I had to fight with them because they had started charging me for equipment I never ordered and didn't have. They tried to force me into another contract and give me a credit instead of giving me my money back. Customer support will talk over you, put you on hold for long periods of time and then quibble with you irrelevant details of your call.