Fluent Security Logo

Fluent Security

6.5

Fluent Security is a company whose team members have 70 years of combined experience in the security industry. The company offers customizable, state-of-the-art security, technology, and energy management products and services. Fluent Security builds custom smart security and energy-efficient home automation systems. With every family having different needs, Fluent Security makes it a priority to have flexible packages — from basic security equipment to advanced home automation.

Fluent home security offers convenience by providing you with its Alarm.com app so you can access, monitor, and control all your systems from one integrated interface. Additionally, Fluent prides itself on delivering exceptional customer service and the company strongly believes in giving back to the community through charitable donations.

However, looking through Fluent Security reviews, many consumers are dissatisfied with the company's services and note poor customer service, hefty prices, and faulty equipment. Especially with a short equipment warranty and a 36-month contract, you may want to consider looking into other home security companies before making your final purchase decision.

The Good

• Customizable Plans and Equipment
  • Home Automation
  • Remote Control Access via the Alarm.com App
  • 24/7 Burglary and Theft Monitoring
  • Fluent Guarantee

Customizable Plans and Equipment

Fluent home security does not provide pre-built packages, rather it offers you a custom solution that allows you to hand-select security equipment that suits your needs so you don't have to pay for features you don't need. This provides more versatility to customers and peace of mind that they won't be missing out on any camera or security solutions they desire.

Standard Features Included

• Email and text notifications

Optional Features Included

• Carbon monoxide monitoring
  • Flood sensors & freeze detection
  • Personal emergency device (medical)
  • Lighting control
  • HVAC control
  • Automated door locks
  • Remote real-time video

Home Automation

Fluent Security is more than just an alarm company; it offers home automation capabilities along with its home security systems. With Fluent's smart home automation, you can:

• Monitor and remotely control door locks
  • Adjust thermostat
  • Access 24/7 live video feed from your doorbell camera and indoor security camera
  • Turn on/off your lights remotely
  • Arm/disarm security system remotely
  • Receive security notifications via the Fluent App

Remote Control Access via the Alarm.com App

Fluent also provides you with its Alarm.com app upon installation so you can access, monitor, and control your system remotely in real-time. This is great for consumers who want access to their home security system from anywhere at any time.

24/7 Burglary and Theft Monitoring

Fluent offers 24/7 burglary and theft monitoring 365 days a year while providing you with an easy to use touchscreen control panel, a customized 8-point security system and will send you email and text notifications when necessary. Fluent Security systems also sport motion sensor and glass break detector functionality. Motion detectors are easy to install, and even easier to monitor from your smartphone mobile app.

Fluent Guarantee

Unique to Fluent, the security company provides its customers with this guarantee: to only use state-of-the-art equipment, 80% of all support calls answered within 60 seconds, resolution of customer concerns on the first call, or service issues guaranteed to be serviced within seven days, and any customer not serviced within one week will receive free monitoring until their issue is resolved.

The Bad

• Prices Not Disclosed on Website
  • Fluent Security Cost
  • Three-Year Contract
  • Negative Fluent Security Reviews
  • Short Equipment Warranty
  • $99 Moving Fee
  • No 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Prices Not Disclosed on Website

Fluent Security doesn't post any equipment pricing information on its website, rather the company asks that you contact a sales rep so it can provide you with a custom quote based on your specific needs. That's not necessarily a bad thing because by doing so you will only be paying for those products and services you actually need. However, this is definitely inconvenient for any homeowner looking to quickly and easily compare Fluent Security's prices to other home security providers.

Fluent Security Cost

Fluent Security has high monthly monitoring service rates starting at $51.99 with upfront fees starting at $99. Fluent Security costs will vary depending on the plan you select (home automation and added security equipment will increase your monthly fee), and all security packages require a 36-month contract.

Three-Year Contract

Fluent Security requires a three-year contract for its services. This is a somewhat common contract length within the home security industry but with the company's higher video monitoring prices, this may prove to be too expensive for some consumers. Especially with a moving fee and no money-back guarantee, be sure to understand all the terms before committing to Fluent Security's long-term contract.

Negative Fluent Security Reviews

Although there isn't a large amount of Fluent Security quite yet, the majority of the current reviews are extremely negative. Consumers note poor customer service, dysfunctional equipment, and lengthy contract. Poor reviews don't provide peace of mind to consumers that Fluent Security is a quality home security solution.

Short Equipment Warranty

Fluent Security only offers a 90-day warranty for its products. Most home security providers offer 2-year warranties or even lifetime warranties. With such a short equipment warranty, consumers may have to offer up their own money to replace any broken or malfunctioning products.

$99 Moving Fee

Fluent Security does offer removal, transport, and reinstallation services to its customers, however, the company charges $99 to move the security system to a new location. Many security providers offer moving options free of charge. This is unfortunate for any consumers who may move during their contract with Fluent Security. If this is the case, you may want to consider looking into a home security provider that does not charge a moving fee.

No 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee

Unlike many home security companies, Fluent Security does not offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. The company does allow you to cancel your services for up to three days after you sign your agreement. However, this is not an ample amount of time for customers to change their minds if they decide Fluent Security is not for them. If you want more of a trial period, we suggest looking into other home security providers.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Fluent Security advertises state-of-the-art products and professional monitoring services. However, in the company's reviews, customers note faulty equipment and a variety of other complaints, including poor customer service. Fluent's equipment warranty is also only 90 days after purchase, so if something goes wrong after that time period, the customer is responsible for paying for replacements. Customers also have to pay a $99 moving fee if they want to transfer their home security system to a new home.

Although Fluent Security allows customers to customize plans based solely on their specific needs and a few other helpful offerings, we suggest looking into a home security company with better consumer reviews.

Customer reviews are often the most telling information you can gather to determine whether a company is worth doing business with, and Fluent's reviews aren't great. Read Fluent Security reviews below if you are interested in hearing what current and past customers have to say about the home security provider.

View Best Home Security Companies

3.4

bookmark

Featured Review

Kaye Notarianni McDade Arvada, CO

I have had a wonderful experience using this company. The company has been very kind and understanding in my circumstances and were willing to help me in any way they could. They helped me with a couple of different scenarios in order to for me to have options to choose from. I never felt hurried or rushed. I was never treated like I was a "voice" on the phone, nor felt like I was just a number. I highly, highly recommend this company! They greatly calmed my fears during a difficult time in my life.

bookmark

Featured Review

Randy Armitage

Our experience with this company from sales, install, resolving technical issues and day to day monitoring has been excellent.

LOREN SIMONDS Salem, OR

Until today with Dylan S I would rate your customer service as piss poor lousy service. He gave me far more support and willing ness to help than all other contacts combined. He was courteous professional and gave me confidence that things will be addressed.

1 day ago

Floyd Knippshild

The system works well. The representative for our area is suppose to come around to check our to see if all is well. At this point has not happened a bit diappointing as I believe I have a couple of low batteries I did recieve a message from Fluent regarding it but to date no knock on the door. Hopefully soon as I and the rep agreed they would stop by when needed to ensure all is well

Gerald Pierce Lac La Biche, AB

On June 11, 2021, we were assisted by Kirstie and her service was excellent! She was reliable and dependable and honored her word. She resolved our concerns and she did so in a timely manner. Also, on May 17, 2021 a technician came to our home with the intent to install security cameras that we had ordered. He was very honest and gave us excellent service but told us Fluent cameras would not work for us due to our poor internet. However, all other dealings we had with Fluent support staff/ management since May4, 2021 up until the present time was terrible and completely unacceptable! We made multiple phone calls to Fluent during this time period and dealt with Mitchel, Kurt, Misclee, Emlma, John, Jason, Josh, and Nicholas. For the most part, none of them returned calls when promised and nobody resolved our requests for service ! On top of that, on many, many occasions when we called Fluent, we spent hours and hours waiting on the phone when we were put on hold waiting for someone to help us. As an example, prior to speaking to Kirstie today, we were put on hold for 3 hours and 44 minutes waiting for Nicholas to get back to us! He never did get back to us so we finally requested a callback. Kirstie provided the callback and, as already mentioned, gave exemplary service. We are satisfied with the home security provided by Fluent, but are extremely dissatisfied with customer service and communication.

Mary Lou Weber Erie, PA

Tried to cancel last year. When I called was told to email the request to the cancellation dept. Unfortunately, did not see the clause on the contract that said cancellation must be one month in advance. The person I spoke to at that time in the "cancellation dept." was very condescending and said I would have to continue for another year or pay for the next year to cancel. Needless to say, I didn't cancel at that time. He was not a very good rep for your company. Wish I had written down his name at the time.

Donald Toledo, OH

Everybody we’ve talked to in the company has been very nice and knows what they are talking about. We feel protected because we had someone break in before and had a different security system then. It works very well. We don’t have any problems.

Kathy Dayton, OH

The best part is knowing whether or not someone trying to get into my home. If some is, they are able to help me stop it. I accidentally set my alarm off yesterday and they were right on it. They called me right away. It is a pretty good deal.

Leon Aurora, CO

I like the fact everything is wireless. It is a lot easier. The response time is quick and accurate. I am a truck driver so I like that they are protected when I am not at home. They called the fire department when the smoke detector went off.

Cynthia Cleveland, OH

The gentleman from Fluent that came here and gave us a demonstration and went through everything made us decide to go with them and we have been happy ever since. They call us every time the alarm goes off and we feel very secure.

Kathryn

Immediate response to any alarm situation whether it is police or fire emergency. We burned some food and set off the alarm and immediately the got in contact to see if we needed help and reset alarm while we dealt with the burnt fish we were cooking. Early on in our partnership we needed police and Fluent immediately responded.

Frank Berry

Great reliable service. We were on holiday during a very cold winter and we received a temperature warning in our property, allowing us to have someone check. The furnace had stopped working and we would have had frozen pipes.

Bruce Peacock

Never had to use any of their services. Their App worked intermittently. 3 hours after alarm went off due to power failure received a phone message that was not understandable. They do know how to collect money. Emailed and called to cancel account. Was told account was closed but still withdrawing money from my account. Phoned and was told they needed a written request to close account. Then another cash withdrawal. After two and a half months finally put stop payment on account then received paper work that account was closed previous month.

Angela Lunsford Pittsburgh, PA

After a power outage my system didn't work..I live in a secluded area alone and I was very worried..I called and they got my system working right away.

Why you sent the email Bedford, OH

I have been with them several years and I have had issue with my console and they are trying to have me fix it. I am not a technician nor do I have 2 hrs to be on the phone not to accomplish the issue. I also don’t like that they ask password before making sure everything is ok.

Amy Brown Westlock, AB

Tyler P and his team Thomas were excellent to deal with. They were friendly, informative and set us up with all the cameras and security system we needed. They went out of their way every day to ensure we were taken care of. I would highly recommend.

Angela Avari Dawson Creek, BC

Just wanted to update my banking - had an excellent time talking with Mandy! She was extremely nice and kind, answered all my questions, updated my stuff and assisted me with my camera / app issue. I very much enjoyed her help and made me feel good! Great job Mandy :)

Ollie Kovaluk

I was very happy with Fluent first years. It seems that since it switched API, the service is not the same. Fluent rep used to come, when he was in my area, and check on my system just to make sure I’m okay. That does not happen anymore. I’m paying $42/month and I’m doing their tech work...had to replace the CM battery, wall monitor battery, then when I couldn’t climb up to replace the battery in the hall monitor, I couldn’t do that. Then I received an email telling me that if I didn’t send back the old hall monitor, they were going to charge me!

Wendy

The people I have dealt with are fantastic and very helpful. The only reason I gave a four is because I have to play phone tag every time our power goes out to reset the system. I’d rather have a simple push button after I put in my code, like a GFI.

Terry Akron, OH

Customer service has been really helpful with me. They have been very patient and secured the problem. I like the equipment except for the doorbell. I have had a lot of issues with them.

Mary Canton, OH

The alarm system works. I had some issues with the Arlo cameras and with the pandemic they would not send anyone out so it took me a week or two to try to figure out how to get them working again.

Christie Indianapolis, IN

We’ve had it for a long time so it is starting to show some tear but they have always been real good about fixing things. It is easy to use. I like the features in the service and they program they put together for me.

Robert Columbia Falls, MT

Seems like they have pretty good equipment. I never have any issues with the equipment or the installation. It is accessible via cellphone and that is great. They have pretty good customer service though t can be hard to get a hold of them.

Diane Hampel

My smoke detector went off the other night because of something I was frying on the stove. It didn't take long before the monitoring station was asking if everything was alright. The gentleman on the other end was very nice about it and didn't make me feel stupid for the occurrence.

Gina Shymko

Up until the last month, I had been happy with Fluent. However, we recently had a fire in our shop. The heat and smoke were intense but the alarm didn’t go off until the shop was at an extremely high heat. The monitors were, by this time, melted. I was able to get help from a lady, after two futile attempts with other staff, who heyme disarm the two alarms in the shop and stop the incessant beeping of the security system. Up until this point, we had no concerns about our security system and hope to get it up and running again when the shop has been renovated.

James

Few years ago our home phone line was cut from construction 1/4 mile from home. At that time we found out that our Fluent alarm system was only linked to home phone line and not cell. If alarm was activated for break in etc there was no way we could of been notified. Also have had other problems with Fluent system which took few years to remedy.

Kate

Two major issues: 1) a detector was beeping; I called tech and a guy walked me through how to take the thing down. It was only installed 3 years ago, and had expired already. Not impressed.2) The main panel started beeping, in the wee hours of the morning. It gave a communication error. I called into tech services, and was told the rror had to do with my cell phine connection with the nearest tower. The nearest tower is within 500yards of the house, so this made no sense. But it kept happening. I called in again and was told I could buy a $70 part and install myself (with their help) OR replace the whole control box. I bought the $70 part. I have NOT installed it, but magically the error has gone away. Now my spidey sense are tingling......does someone sit in a control chair at Fluent and get bored in the early hours of the morning, and send out wierd error messages, just for a lark?

Tara Ramsey Lawrenceville, GA

Last few call have not been good reps just telling me stuff to get me off the. Phone that’s was not the case with Reg or Nicole they actually took the time to listen and resolve my issues.

1 day ago

Jeri Stephan Las Vegas, NV

I was very impresses with my tec today who fixed my door bell. She was Mandy & she was very very nice & fun to talk to. She did a very good job on my door bell.

Gwen Salyer Marion, OH

Talked to them about not renewing my contract. Never once mentioned if I didn't notify them 30 days in advance that my contract renewed for a YEAR!! They could send customers a notice in an email so you would know. They don't want to remind you, because they only care about the money, not the customers. Now some contracts renew for 3 yrs and some for 5 yrs! I think there a low life company.

Justin Dayton, OH

The company lied repeatedly. We were told we were on a set contract length, and when we tried to cancel it, we were lied to that it was cancelled. Then it was renewed and we had to pay for it for another year or pay the years cost in early termination. The app never did half of what the company promised it would. When the sensors started to go bad, the company wouldn't come out to replace batteries or replace sensors that had broken.

Wanda Webster Cincinnati, OH

I had two power outages this past weekend. My system was not working properly. I called and received a call back from Mandy P, she was very helpful. Thank you for the great service.

Richard Springfield, IL

Mandy in customer support resolved our problem and should be commended accordingly. We tried twice previously with other customer service reps, but neither resolved the problem; thank goodness for Mandy’s help!

Mandy Hatch 780-898-5377

I have been with Fluent for 7 years I have 3 left. I have never had my equipment upgraded ever in the 7 years that I have been with this company. I know other people who pay way less then 55 dollars a month. And their equipment is way nicer and newer then mine. When my contract is up I am done I will be canceling it. My parents pay 30 and have video cameras. I was also not aware that when one of your Fluent sales people came to my house asked if I wanted a discount. Anyone would be Interested in a discount. Well, a while goes by and then I find out that I am in a 5 year lease. I know I signed for it but I wasn't under any impression it wasn't for 5 yrs.

Patty Ridenour Dayton, OH

I have to draw up and prepare my own invoice every quarter except for maybe the first three or so. I have informed Fluent of this problem many, many times. They have never corrected the fact that I am forced to use my own time, my own paper, my own printer, my own electricity to prepare, print, and mail a check to for my own invoice every quarter. Fluent continues to deny that this situation exists. It is infuriating.

Juanita Crockett Cleveland, OH

Replacement sensor I was sent was defective. I was told they would not replace it and I would have to pay for replacement. The cameras I added have only worked spasmodically. They no longer take a charge and are now useless.

Cheryl Sharon, PA

Sometimes customer service is slow with their responses but the equipment has worked well for me other than the battery dying I haven’t had any issues.

Anonymous Powell, OH

Top notch security. At one point someone came out and went over everything and checked the internal system and I appreciated that. It is another level of protection.

Sarah Springfield, OH

Other than the batteries going bad we don’t have any problems. The service lady talked us through how to replace the battery. I know the house is secured at night.

Terry Dayton, OH

From what I know their equipment is the latest. We like that the keypad lets us know if the door is being opened. It lets me know on my cellphone when there is movement.

James Waterloo, IA

Usually they contact me if the alarm goes off before the police get here. The equipment does what it is supposed to except for the low battery indicator. The batteries are kind of hard to get and expensive.

Barbara Columbus, OH

If there is a problem, I call and they take care of it. I have not problems with the system, it is a good company. I can leave my home and go to bed at night and know it is secure.

Donna Kotyk

They are there when I need them. It also gives me peace of mind. I have felt it would be great to have a GPS system so that if I fell away from home and needed help I would still be able to communicate to get help.

Josh Terry Lafayette, OR

When I was called about extending our service I said we wouldn't be and would like to cancel. They continued our service and added more time to our contract. When I called to discuss as to why I was told that they had me on the hook and couldn't do anything about it. Completely unprofessional in the way I was spoke to. You don't treat people this way. We were customers for 5 years it was nothing but we couldn't afford to continue paying for service. To basically deny us to leave and tell us "gotcha" nothing you can do about it shows what kind of people are behind this company. If we could afford it we will never come back. Anyone of our friends looking for a security system, we would never recommend fluent. I'm not sure how this is considered good business practice. Way to squeeze a few more dollars out of a family that is trying to save money. Not sure how people who run the company can look at themselves in the mirror.

Larry Swap

I rate Fluent 4 Stars as I need a new Fluent sign because my sign is so faded & I was told I will need to purchase another sign myself, even though we've been paying our monthly premium since 2009.

Tammy Holmes

The basement water sensor only works for a couple weeks at a time, constantly saying there is a problem when there isn't. The main panel on the wall that the person talks through doesn't work properly because they can't hear us talk back to them. I used to get text messages everytime the system was armed and unarmed, which I liked, and it stopped again ages ago, after I requested it still be sent. I feel it has just gone downhill since we first signed up.

Conrad Hunter

I had a oven fire a few years back and i put it out myself but the fire department was still dispatch with a few mins. They helped air the house out for us.

Dale Weenk

The security system is fine worked good, when I went to get a quote for another location they wanted to change our current system to a more expensive version which wasn't required. Then we we went to quit using them, after 7 years they demand we pay another 3 years to pay out our contract. In which, I only signed a 5 year contract 7 years, at which time we were told the monthly fee was to drop $5 after 5 years, (it did), now they say it locks us in for the second 5 year term. I didn't sign anything, so don't know there basis for this statement

Greg and Brenda Wiens

System is simple and works very well. When ever we have contacted Fluent for assistance has always been helpful and if technician needed, has been prompt and courteous.

Melissa Lawrence

It was good for the first year or so, then in 2017 I had one of the salesmen come to my door and offer new equipment. To which I said no. So he offered to lower my monthly rate instead since I'd be using outdated equipment. That I happily agreed to. Come 2019 when my contract was up I went to cancel my services. To which I was very rudely told when I agreed to that rate change 2 years ago that automatically added 60 months to my contract. I said if the salesman would have told me that in 2017 I never would have agreed to the rate change. And I was told too bad so sad we have your signature you can't get out of the contract. Sucks to be you thanks for your business until 2023.