Alarm.com Logo

Alarm.com

4.8

LAST UPDATED: October 8th, 2021

Alarm.com is an industry leader in home security and automation technology. At its core, Alarm.com is a technology platform. Its diverse product line includes mobile, TV streaming, and smartwatch apps for easy access to its services. The company is passionate about enhancing its customers’ connection with their homes.

report_problem

Attention: Alarm.com is only available through authorized service providers.

You cannot purchase directly from Alarm.com. You must purchase from a third party that will professionally configure and monitor your system. You can find a list of authorized providers in your area on Alarm.com's website. We encourage you to also read the customer reviews of your local providers before making a final purchasing decision.

The Good

• Security and Automation Provider
  • Wireless Technology

Security and Automation Provider

Alarm.com combines its home security and automation services into one mobile app. These services include video monitoring, energy management, and more. The app allows you to set up custom notifications so you can be alerted when doors are opened, the alarm is disabled, or your cameras capture someone on your doorstep. You can choose to get as many or as few alerts as you need to give you peace of mind.

Wireless Technology

Alarm.com was the first alarm system technology company to provide a wireless security system and an interactive iOS and Android app. Instead of just using your security panel, Alarm.com's technology allows you to manage your security system from your smartphone, smartwatch, or a computer. You can also manage any compatible home automation devices as well. This means you can set the thermostat, check motion sensor alerts, lock the front door, view video camera feeds, or turn the lights off using any connected smart device.

Alarm.com runs on a cloud-based platform cellular system. The system could potentially stop working if a signal is lost. If you live in an area with unreliable cellular connections (i.e. rural areas), be sure to discuss your options with the local authorized service provider to ensure Alarm.com is the right choice for you.

The Bad

• Specific Hardware Partners
  • Non-Specific Pricing Model

Specific Hardware Partners

Alarm.com has a broad network of device integrations, but it’s particular about its hardware partners to help ensure security across the platform. You’ll want to make sure to double-check compatibility with any existing security equipment. The list of hardware partners includes the following:

Aeotec Legrand Mercury Qualcomm SkyBell
DSC Lennox Eaton Rachio SolarEdge
Interlogix Leviton Enphase Rain Bird SolarEdge
Jasco LiftMaster Nortek Control Salto Stelpro
Kwikset Lutron Qolsys Schlage Yale

Non-Specific Pricing Model

Alarm.com does not set its own pricing because its equipment is sold, installed, and serviced by licensed service providers. Each service provider is responsible for setting its own pricing and can vary based on area. Your local service provider may or may not list pricing or monthly fees on its website. You’ll likely need to request quotes from local providers to find the Alarm.com service package that best fits your budget.

The Bottom Line

Alarm.com provides a great selection of home security and home automation services. Its state-of-the-art technology allows you to manage your entire home from your smart device or control panel. You can customize notifications to ensure you have full control over your home as well as give you peace of mind. With its nationwide network of authorized partners, the company offers customers the benefits of a large company with the local touch that comes with a regional dealer.

Because Alarm.com does not directly sell or install its technology, customer experience can vary drastically. To help you make the best decision for your home, we encourage you to not only read Alarm.com reviews, but also the customer reviews of the authorized dealers in your area. You can also compare its services to other top-rated home security companies

Message from
Alarm.com

Alarm.com provides total protection for millions of homes and businesses with a new type of security solution that gives you extra protection, better awareness, and all-in-one control from the Alarm.com mobile app.

Professionally designed, installed, and monitored, an Alarm.com-powered security system makes it easy to:

• Protect your home, family and business with professionally monitored security that responds automatically to danger and unusual activity.

• See everything that matters, from every angle, with indoor, outdoor, and front door video.

• Put your home or business to work with automatic locks, lights, temperature controls, and new ways to take care of everyday tasks.

Alarm.com services are only available through licensed service providers who work with you to quickly design the ideal system for your property, needs, and budget. You can start small and build your system over time, or start with it all on day one.

Visit our website to get started and find a service provider near you.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

2.6

Jean

We have upgrade with alarm com and are quite impress. State of the art equipment. We have all bells and whistles, camera, doors window, water sensors,garage doors on z wave, electrical switches on z wave all,interconected into our alarm panel. Service was great. The company spokeman was well verse into his equipments. He has spent a long time explainint equipment. Service was flawless. Needless to say we are quite happy with the apps. Camera are powerfull as they are wifi we are seing great at night solely on the night vision for once it work as Advertised. We have a state of the art system for a reasonable price. They are much cheaper than other company who,have quoted us for a similar system at a much higher price.

Barbara repko Land O' Lakes, FL

We had a salesman come to our door several years ago offering a new product from a fledgling company called alarm.com. there was no up front cost and the price was $60 a month. We had been with ADT for years and after the problems with them we decided it was time to change. They installed the equipment within a week and on time. The tech was very nice and knowledgeable. He showed us every aspect of the system and stayed until we understood it. We pay a $10 monthly warranty/service fees which cover any equipment breakage and the cost of the tech visit. Anytime I need them to come out they have been there within 48 hrs. The tech always runs a test on the equipment. I have complete control over my system with an online app which I didn't have with ADT. I get regular updates from my system, ADT never sent me updates he k half the time they never even knew I was a customer!! I pay my bill via epay so I never worry about it. The only problem we have ever had with the system is the doorbell cam. That is a WiFi issue with my house not the equipment!! WiFi doesn't go through brick very well!! I love this company and would recommend them to anyone!!

Barbara repko Land O' Lakes, FL

we had a rep come to our door and sell us the product they were very respectful covered everything with us there were no hidden costs they were great. They said a date for installation and they were there on time. We have been with alarm.com for several years now and have never had a problem with them. Anytime we need service we just call and we have a tech out here within 24 to 48 hours. He fixes our equipment he runs a test on all of our equipment for us He's awesome. I can pick up the phone and call them if I have a problem during the week and they'll walk me through how to fix whatever I need. On the weekends or after hours there's an emergency number that we can call if there's a problem with the system. But in all the years that we've had this the only problem I've ever had was a broken doorbell and we have the protection plan so they replaced it no questions asked. We pay $70 a month for the services which includes the protection plan. Payments are all made online so I don't have to send out a check every month. The protection plan is a warranty for your products and have somebody come out and repair anything that is broken or damaged. So it basically covers your repair services so that it's not an extra fee. And honestly it didn't cost us anything to have our equipment put in so I'm not sure what the pricing is now but for us didn't cost us anything equipment was perfectly free. If I ever choose to cancel with them once my contract is done all I have to do is send them a letter just like any other company. I would choose them over ADT any day of the week. The first year we were ADT they didn't even know we were with them!!

Mark Valentine Colleyville, TX

I hate paying $60 a month for crap service, the alarm .com website takes forever to load video if something was going on at my house it would be over before i could look. The phone app is not any better if i get an alert on something half the time it wont load it says retry. Video doorbell is not worth it , buy a ring at least you can use the video chat before they leave. Last time i had work done they said i could get a discount if i renewed my contract for 24 months. When i called to see how long i had left so i could cancel the rep said i signed a 5 year contract. Bunch of crooks and rip off artists. I never agreed to a 5 year contract. Save yourself a headache go somewhere else. And they do not call you back if you leave a voicemail.

Peggy Minneapolis, MN

I had a landline connection for 17 years with them. I just switched to wireless after my husband passed. This last month I upgraded to mobile access on my smartphone. I have always had good response if I had any issues. They use a local company to do installs or repairs, however if you are tech savvy they will walk you through issues on the phone if possible. They are up front with what costs will be incurred for anything needing to be done. I am extremely well pleased with this company.

Ed Surpin Mead, CO

I would give 0 stars if I could. My system never worked properly. I reached out to them and it's near impossible to speak with someone. When I did speak with a person, I was told that they couldnt help and they will have someone call me back. It took 3 weeks to hear from someone and still my issues persist. I live in a new home community and will do everything in my power to make sure my neighbors done get suckered like I did. I will also be speaking with DR Horton (my builder) and inform them of the horrific service. It shoudl be illegal to take peoples money and offer 0 in return. Horrible!!!

Alarm.com Logo

Reply from Alarm.com

Hi Ed, we are sorry for the experience you have had with your service provider. We reached out to your provider with the details you wrote, and their customer support manager is reaching out to you. We have also offered added support to them if they were to need it. If you need additional assistance, please let us know through the Contact Us page on our website and we will be happy to work as a liaison. We hope the installation issues you’ve experienced with your service provider will be resolved quickly. Best, The Alarm. com Team

Apr. 21st, 2021

Barry Gulden Cape Canaveral, FL

Love that the cameras are interacted with the security . When an alarm happens cameras film and lights go on . The Poe cameras are great . I do not trust wireless cameras. On any security system . Bad points are when zwave lights go on there is no indication on phone . I have a IMac computer . The cameras will not work on standard app using Google . You have to use Firefox .

Andy Tulsa, OK

This service pissed me off I had they tech guy come out like 7 times and possibly more. I been having so many issues with the cameras recording I bought more clips but there are times when someone rings my doorbell I get the notification on my phone if you want to view video but the video never shows up. I really want a refund and only had them a month but now I am stuck in the stupid contract. I had a issue with my alarm going off and no one ever responded on the panel and I had to call them to see why never called and it was hard to get a hold of anyone on phone are chat. They told me they were ADT but they are contracted under Alarm.com. I try to respond to the tech are sales person and hardly dont get any response back. Also they lied to me about having a dvr reciever to record longer videos then clips because once you reach your limit of clips you are pretty much screwed and still pay monthly fee and hope no one breaks in are still anything. Dont waste your money they are crooks.

Dr/ :Lou Tuirchi Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

I installed Alarm.Com in my new home and it is very good. Reasonable installation and monthly fee is fair. I had another company in my other home and paid four times the monthly fee. Would recommend them highly.

Maria Martinez Chicago, IL

Do not waste your time or money with them - I have been a customer for years had a doorbell camera installed after a few months thing stopped working. They sent a tech to "fix it" guy just rebooted but told company a new camera was installed total lie. The representative on the phone called me a liar and i still do not have the problem resolved unfortunately I do not know what to do because my camera still doesn't work and they are not willing to service it. I am so frustrated because I am paying for a service and this is soo ridiculous. I ended up calling the company that sent the tech directly and in fact they acknowledge the fact tech did not switch out camera. Waste of time find another alarm system for your needs as this company is not worth the money.,

Reinhard Queen Creek, AZ

I would give them 0 stars if I could. I sold my house and move out of Country and contacted them. They said I have to fill out a form with the new address where I'm moving to what I did. Now they told me that there is no way to let me get out from my contract. The guy on the phone told me I should lie to him and say that I will rent out the house so he would give me a discount on the last 9 month of the contract. I told him no! I sold the house. What the heck is that for a SECURITY COMPANY who want you to lie??? I will tell the new owner from my house that he should stay away from this company. They will rip you off. I can not recommend them to any one. Now I have to pay for a security system what I don't use anymore and I not even live here.

Bill Cuba, NY

I have used Alarm.com for five years and I am very satisfied with their equipment and service. Take time to talk to Adam. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

David Fulkerson Oil City, PA

I have had this for two years now and the it is a home security alarm simple as that, priced compared to others, very long contracts (will never do that again). For what they do, I would never recommend them to anyone, go with a more reputable company.

Jim Green

Does everything I want -security, home automation, etc, Alarm (false so far) response has been very quick AND professional. Cost is only slightly higher than lesser systems and service and upgrades have been very good.

Rodderick Graves Colorado Springs, CO

I like that the price is reasonable. The bad is the cameras stop recording after a certain number of videos and it’s a pain to free up space for cameras to resume recording then when you complain to monitoring service they tell you a dumb number to get out of contract so if u get this be prepared to do 2 years hard time

Miles

I rate them less than a star!! I have had the system installed for two years and have had equipment problems since. Replaced doorbell camera at least twice. Bad service, initial install problems to include a camera installed incorrectly on my rain gutter,, had to relocate and now I have holes in my gutter. the video footage is horrible, cant make out anything. The cost to get out of the contract with a year remaining is over $1000. This has been the worst experience! Stay away!!!

Rod Jacobs Aurora, IL

Loooong contract!!! Just cost us $1850 to adhere to to fine print of contract because we sold our house after 10 months into 5 YEAR contract! Of course this part of the contrat was NOT highlighted! Didn’t plan on moving but we are. Company wouldn’t send technician to allow us to take equipment so had to fownload manual and gigure out myself. This includes: push button/remote ffont door lock, doorbell camera/communication, water sensors, remote garage opener, wall control unit, window/slider/door sensors. NEVER AGAIN!!

Max Rothgeb North Chicago, IL

I don't have much good to say about Alarm .com when they contacted me to setup installation after they promised to get me a camera for inside monitoring . They came out to install and the installer could not get the camera to work . Then I agreed to change from the camera to a remote acess Thermostat again they came to install it the installer didn't know how ti wire it to my home heating/cooling units . Since then everytime I call them the person I talk to says they will have THEIR BOSS CALL ME BACK , that never happens . But they darn sure get their money every month.

Started with alarm.com over 3 years ago. Paid for the camera services originally but for some reason the quality was extremely poor. Later the program was switched three times and now I am with another vendor who no longer uses alarm.com platform.

Kenneth Okerlund

Site is not very easy to use and can be quite confusing as well as slow. It is nice that it makes it so you can control everything from the same place, but you can often run into a lot of issues with their site.

michelle coleman robinson Somers Point, NJ