Alarm.com Logo

Alarm.com

Alarm.com is an industry leader in both home security and home automation technology. At its heart, Alarm.com is a technology platform, and that shows in its diverse product line as well as the industry-leading mobile and smartwatch integrations for its products. Alarm.com is a company that is passionate about enhancing the connection that its customers have with their homes. With more than 2 million active home security and home automation customers, Alarm.com is one of the largest home security system and smart home providers in the nation.

The Good

• All-in-One Provider
  • Exclusive Technology
  • White-Label Service

All-in-One Provider

Alarm.com stands out when you think of the traditional security company. Some key benefits provided by Alarm.com are that it is an all-in-one technology service provider: home security, home automation features (such as energy management), video monitoring, alarm monitoring service, and more. There is no need to bundle with multiple companies to fully protect and automate your home. Alarm.com features award-winning technology.

Exclusive Technology

Alarm.com was the first alarm system technology company to provide an interactive iOS and Android app that works hand-in-hand with its security/home automation system, and integrates with smartwatch technology. With Alarm.com's technology, you can manage security systems remotely from your smartphone, smartwatch, or a computer as well as the security panel. This includes setting the thermostat, motion sensor alerts, locking the front door, viewing video camera feeds, or making sure the lights are turned off.

You are also able to set up custom notifications so you know when the kids get home from school or if a package has arrived on the front porch. With Alarm.com's nationwide network of authorized security dealers, you receive the perks of a large company with the comfort of a local dealer.

White-Label Service

Monitoring and service calls generally take place with the local partner, while the technology and professional monitoring are available to you and through that partner for Alarm.com. This white-label business model allows for 24/7 support and a local touch.

The Bad

• Not for Non-Tech-Savvy Homeowners
  • Rural Areas Can Have Poor Connection
  • Non-Specific Pricing Model

Not for Non-Tech-Savvy Homeowners

While Alarm.com can be great for the emerging technology-affluent generation, the home security company is not very user-friendly for those who aren't familiar with smartphone apps. And while the nationwide security partners do provide tutorials and online account setup/access to the Alarm.com cloud-based platform network, many customers find that a one-time tutorial doesn't quite suit their needs for full integration of the expanded features of their home security and home automation system.

Rural Areas Can Have Poor Connection

Alarm.com runs on a cloud-based platform cellular system. This can be advantageous as it does not require a landline for the security monitoring systems to function; however, for areas that have poor or limited cellular connections, ie. many rural areas, the security and home automation systems can simply cease to work if the cellular signal is lost. Without a wired option for their technology, Alarm.com has chosen to ostracize those who live outside of or in limited cellular communities.

Non-Specific Pricing Model

One disadvantage of having a nationwide white-labeled network of authorized dealers is that pricing is never quite consistent. In fact, the security provider doesn't even list pricing or its monthly fee on its website, but rather the company leaves that up to its local/regional partners. With no transparency in pricing, installation fees, or professional monitoring service fees, it can be difficult to shop within a desired budget range without requesting customized quotes/bids.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

Alarm.com provides a great selection of home security and home automation services. Its technology is state-of-the-art, and it allows for full home management from your smart device or control panel, as well as customized notifications to ensure that you have full control over your home. With its nationwide network of authorized partners, customers receive the benefits of a large company with the local touch that comes with their regional dealer. However, with limited Alarm.com reviews, it's difficult to know what the customer experience is like with the home security service provider, and we cannot confidently recommend the company. If you're interested in reading the Alarm.com reviews submitted so far, you can find those below. The majority of consumer reviews thus far aren't satisfactory, many listing customer service and equipment issues.

View Best Home Security Companies

Message from
Alarm.com

Alarm.com provides total protection for millions of homes and businesses with a new type of security solution that gives you extra protection, better awareness, and all-in-one control from the Alarm.com mobile app. Professionally designed, installed, and monitored, an Alarm.com-powered security system makes it easy to: - Protect your home, family and business with professionally monitored security that responds automatically to danger and unusual activity. - See everything that matters, from every angle, with indoor, outdoor, and front door video. - Put your home or business to work with automatic locks, lights, temperature controls, and new ways to take care of everyday tasks. Alarm.com services are only available through licensed service providers who work with you to quickly design the ideal system for your property, needs, and budget. You can start small and build your system over time, or start with it all on day one. Visit our website to get started and find a service provider near you.

keyboard_arrow_up keyboard_arrow_down

2.8

Ed Surpin Mead, CO

I would give 0 stars if I could. My system never worked properly. I reached out to them and it's near impossible to speak with someone. When I did speak with a person, I was told that they couldnt help and they will have someone call me back. It took 3 weeks to hear from someone and still my issues persist. I live in a new home community and will do everything in my power to make sure my neighbors done get suckered like I did. I will also be speaking with DR Horton (my builder) and inform them of the horrific service. It shoudl be illegal to take peoples money and offer 0 in return. Horrible!!!

Alarm.com Logo

Reply from Alarm.com

Hi Ed, we are sorry for the experience you have had with your service provider. We reached out to your provider with the details you wrote, and their customer support manager is reaching out to you. We have also offered added support to them if they were to need it. If you need additional assistance, please let us know through the Contact Us page on our website and we will be happy to work as a liaison. We hope the installation issues you’ve experienced with your service provider will be resolved quickly. Best, The Alarm. com Team

Apr. 21st, 2021

Jean

We have upgrade with alarm com and are quite impress. State of the art equipment. We have all bells and whistles, camera, doors window, water sensors,garage doors on z wave, electrical switches on z wave all,interconected into our alarm panel. Service was great. The company spokeman was well verse into his equipments. He has spent a long time explainint equipment. Service was flawless. Needless to say we are quite happy with the apps. Camera are powerfull as they are wifi we are seing great at night solely on the night vision for once it work as Advertised. We have a state of the art system for a reasonable price. They are much cheaper than other company who,have quoted us for a similar system at a much higher price.

Barbara repko Land O' Lakes, FL

We had a salesman come to our door several years ago offering a new product from a fledgling company called alarm.com. there was no up front cost and the price was $60 a month. We had been with ADT for years and after the problems with them we decided it was time to change. They installed the equipment within a week and on time. The tech was very nice and knowledgeable. He showed us every aspect of the system and stayed until we understood it. We pay a $10 monthly warranty/service fees which cover any equipment breakage and the cost of the tech visit. Anytime I need them to come out they have been there within 48 hrs. The tech always runs a test on the equipment. I have complete control over my system with an online app which I didn't have with ADT. I get regular updates from my system, ADT never sent me updates he k half the time they never even knew I was a customer!! I pay my bill via epay so I never worry about it. The only problem we have ever had with the system is the doorbell cam. That is a WiFi issue with my house not the equipment!! WiFi doesn't go through brick very well!! I love this company and would recommend them to anyone!!

Barbara repko Land O' Lakes, FL

we had a rep come to our door and sell us the product they were very respectful covered everything with us there were no hidden costs they were great. They said a date for installation and they were there on time. We have been with alarm.com for several years now and have never had a problem with them. Anytime we need service we just call and we have a tech out here within 24 to 48 hours. He fixes our equipment he runs a test on all of our equipment for us He's awesome. I can pick up the phone and call them if I have a problem during the week and they'll walk me through how to fix whatever I need. On the weekends or after hours there's an emergency number that we can call if there's a problem with the system. But in all the years that we've had this the only problem I've ever had was a broken doorbell and we have the protection plan so they replaced it no questions asked. We pay $70 a month for the services which includes the protection plan. Payments are all made online so I don't have to send out a check every month. The protection plan is a warranty for your products and have somebody come out and repair anything that is broken or damaged. So it basically covers your repair services so that it's not an extra fee. And honestly it didn't cost us anything to have our equipment put in so I'm not sure what the pricing is now but for us didn't cost us anything equipment was perfectly free. If I ever choose to cancel with them once my contract is done all I have to do is send them a letter just like any other company. I would choose them over ADT any day of the week. The first year we were ADT they didn't even know we were with them!!

Andy Tulsa, OK

This service pissed me off I had they tech guy come out like 7 times and possibly more. I been having so many issues with the cameras recording I bought more clips but there are times when someone rings my doorbell I get the notification on my phone if you want to view video but the video never shows up. I really want a refund and only had them a month but now I am stuck in the stupid contract. I had a issue with my alarm going off and no one ever responded on the panel and I had to call them to see why never called and it was hard to get a hold of anyone on phone are chat. They told me they were ADT but they are contracted under Alarm.com. I try to respond to the tech are sales person and hardly dont get any response back. Also they lied to me about having a dvr reciever to record longer videos then clips because once you reach your limit of clips you are pretty much screwed and still pay monthly fee and hope no one breaks in are still anything. Dont waste your money they are crooks.

Peggy Minneapolis, MN

I had a landline connection for 17 years with them. I just switched to wireless after my husband passed. This last month I upgraded to mobile access on my smartphone. I have always had good response if I had any issues. They use a local company to do installs or repairs, however if you are tech savvy they will walk you through issues on the phone if possible. They are up front with what costs will be incurred for anything needing to be done. I am extremely well pleased with this company.

Reinhard Queen Creek, AZ

I would give them 0 stars if I could. I sold my house and move out of Country and contacted them. They said I have to fill out a form with the new address where I'm moving to what I did. Now they told me that there is no way to let me get out from my contract. The guy on the phone told me I should lie to him and say that I will rent out the house so he would give me a discount on the last 9 month of the contract. I told him no! I sold the house. What the heck is that for a SECURITY COMPANY who want you to lie??? I will tell the new owner from my house that he should stay away from this company. They will rip you off. I can not recommend them to any one. Now I have to pay for a security system what I don't use anymore and I not even live here.

Barry Gulden Cape Canaveral, FL

Love that the cameras are interacted with the security . When an alarm happens cameras film and lights go on . The Poe cameras are great . I do not trust wireless cameras. On any security system . Bad points are when zwave lights go on there is no indication on phone . I have a IMac computer . The cameras will not work on standard app using Google . You have to use Firefox .

Dr/ :Lou Tuirchi Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

I installed Alarm.Com in my new home and it is very good. Reasonable installation and monthly fee is fair. I had another company in my other home and paid four times the monthly fee. Would recommend them highly.

Rodderick Graves Colorado Springs, CO

I like that the price is reasonable. The bad is the cameras stop recording after a certain number of videos and it’s a pain to free up space for cameras to resume recording then when you complain to monitoring service they tell you a dumb number to get out of contract so if u get this be prepared to do 2 years hard time

Bill Cuba, NY

I have used Alarm.com for five years and I am very satisfied with their equipment and service. Take time to talk to Adam. He is very knowledgeable and helpful.

David Fulkerson Oil City, PA

I have had this for two years now and the it is a home security alarm simple as that, priced compared to others, very long contracts (will never do that again). For what they do, I would never recommend them to anyone, go with a more reputable company.

Jim Green

Does everything I want -security, home automation, etc, Alarm (false so far) response has been very quick AND professional. Cost is only slightly higher than lesser systems and service and upgrades have been very good.

Miles

I rate them less than a star!! I have had the system installed for two years and have had equipment problems since. Replaced doorbell camera at least twice. Bad service, initial install problems to include a camera installed incorrectly on my rain gutter,, had to relocate and now I have holes in my gutter. the video footage is horrible, cant make out anything. The cost to get out of the contract with a year remaining is over $1000. This has been the worst experience! Stay away!!!

Rod Jacobs Aurora, IL

Loooong contract!!! Just cost us $1850 to adhere to to fine print of contract because we sold our house after 10 months into 5 YEAR contract! Of course this part of the contrat was NOT highlighted! Didn’t plan on moving but we are. Company wouldn’t send technician to allow us to take equipment so had to fownload manual and gigure out myself. This includes: push button/remote ffont door lock, doorbell camera/communication, water sensors, remote garage opener, wall control unit, window/slider/door sensors. NEVER AGAIN!!

Max Rothgeb North Chicago, IL

I don't have much good to say about Alarm .com when they contacted me to setup installation after they promised to get me a camera for inside monitoring . They came out to install and the installer could not get the camera to work . Then I agreed to change from the camera to a remote acess Thermostat again they came to install it the installer didn't know how ti wire it to my home heating/cooling units . Since then everytime I call them the person I talk to says they will have THEIR BOSS CALL ME BACK , that never happens . But they darn sure get their money every month.

Started with alarm.com over 3 years ago. Paid for the camera services originally but for some reason the quality was extremely poor. Later the program was switched three times and now I am with another vendor who no longer uses alarm.com platform.

Kenneth Okerlund

Site is not very easy to use and can be quite confusing as well as slow. It is nice that it makes it so you can control everything from the same place, but you can often run into a lot of issues with their site.

michelle coleman robinson Somers Point, NJ