AT&T Digital Life is a home security and automation service that is available to residents in 34 states. The company provides three comprehensive plans that start at $39.99 per month. AT&T. Customers are subject to credit approval prior to activation and must sign a two-year contract. Monitoring plans feature 24/7 professional monitoring, remote access, and wireless equipment. Each available plan can be customized with additional equipment upgrades.

#1 Protect America chevron_right
#2 Frontpoint chevron_right
#3 Guardian Protection chevron_right

The Good

• Wireless Equipment and Communication
  • Remote Access on Any Device

Wireless Equipment and Communication

The wireless systems do not require home phone connection and feature 24/7 professional monitoring from trained dispatchers. When an alarm is triggered customers immediately receive a text alert notifying them of the alarm event and emergency help is dispatched immediately to the home. If there is no answer, the company alerts emergency contacts provided by the customer.

Remote Access on Any Device

AT&T Digital Life offers its own mobile app that customers can download and access on any device for remote access control of the installed home security system. Customers are able to set alerts as well as control home temperature, lighting, and small appliances. Digital Life also provides flood control, video surveillance, door lock access, and garage control. An included warranty covers equipment repair and installation issues. Home security systems come with $700-$1,700 worth of equipment included in the available plans.

The Bad

• Early Termination Fee
  • Numerous Consumer Complaints
  • Credit Approval and Two-Year Contract Required

Early Termination Fee

Customers who cancel services prior to contract expiration are responsible for up to $840 early termination penalty. According to the corporate website, customers may be subject to numerous other fees as well. Customers must pay an upfront fee that is based on plan selection and may be required to pay technician fees on equipment repairs.

Numerous Consumer Complaints

Common complaints include poor installation procedures, high fees, and poor customer service from representatives. The company has also received a few governmental actions taken against them for privacy violations and charges for unauthorized services.

Credit Approval and Two-Year Contract Required

New customers need to pass a background credit check and sign a two-year contract in order to activate home security service.

View Best Home Security Companies

The Bottom Line

AT&T Digital Life provides comprehensive home security and home automation options to customers across the United States. Monthly plans feature 24/7 professional monitoring, equipment and installation warranty, and mobile remote access; however, customers are required to pass a credit check, sign a two-year contract, and may be subject to expensive fees.

View Best Home Security Companies

Reviews from #1 Home Security Company

Protect America

DCH
October 11th, 2018 | Hampton, VA

Jenny was great. We recently had to move due to a threat to my home. My old setup wasn’t effective. After speaking to Jenny my wife and I started to brainstorm with her and she kept giving us options that were affordable and EXACTLY what we were looking for. Now can’t wait to get it in and installed. Rush ship it please 😄

Kelly Geels
September 17th, 2018 | Visalia, CA

Fast set up and great customer service, system works well. Love that equipment was free and no contracts! Perfect for our family

2.0

GUY DIGIOVANNA
June 19th, 2019 Mt. Dora, FL DETAILS

I HAVE USED AT&T DIGITAL LIFE FOR FIVE YEARS AND I DON'T RECOMMEND THEM . THE APP NEVER WORKED AND I CANCELLED THEM OVER ONE MONTH AGO . THEY STILL BILLED ME EVEN AFTER I CANCELLED AND THEY SAID THE CALL WAS DISCONNECTED. THIS IS A LIE SINCE THEY CONFIRMED THIS THE CANCELLATION IN THE FIRST PLACE. I CALLED THEM AND THEY REFUSED TO REFUND MY MONEY AND I AM NOW DISPUTING THE CHARGES. AGAIN DO NOT USE THEM AS THEY ARE INCOMPETENT AND LIARS.

TERRY P DELGADO
May 21st, 2019 Adelanto, CA DETAILS

CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS 100 PERCENT . IF I CAN GIVE IT -NO STARS I WOULD . DO NOT GET THIS SYSTEM OR YOU WILL BE SORRY . NO ONE KNOWS WHATS GOING ON . YOU WILL WAIT AT LEAST 1 HOUR TO 1HOUR AND A HALF FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE AND ALSO ATT IS SELLING DIGITAL LIFE TO ANOTHER COMPANY BECAUSE ATT HAS LOST TOTAL CONTROLL OF THEIR COMPANY !!!!

Rosa
May 20th, 2019 Wilmington, DE DETAILS

As I read many of these reviews, I sit back and wonder why I still have service with AT&T. I have called about 5 times in the past 3 months and still can't get my issues resolved. The camera is recording excessively. They've sent the same technician each time and ultimately, he repositioned the camera to face more towards the ground. Now its recording the motion 2x each, so duplicates. They committed to sending a supervisor - well, that never happened. Same guy each time. Now let's talk about price. Why is it that people are paying 39.99 when I'm paying 54.99. I complained about the service so they brought it down. The past year has been terrible so I asked for some form of credit for the lack of service. A big whopping $20 is what they said they could give. I could go on complaining. I'm frustrated with the issues, the cost, the lack of response and committment so after seeing all of this, I think it's time to cut my losses. Worst service ever!

Shana m
April 15th, 2019 Carson, CA DETAILS

Horrible Horrible customer service. Service never worked the two years that I was in a contact for. And now. I have a $160 bill that thy said s for services rendered. There are way better services pay the extra money. It’s worth it

Don
April 5th, 2019 San Antonio, TX DETAILS

I would be better off if I'd just poked my eyes out. This company is SO frustrating. It is almost impossible to get to a human and when you do, their IQ is so low it's PAINFUL to just talk to them. I mean when you say that the system can't be accessed, literally 20 times and the response is, well what's the problem? you gotta figure it's just a game on their end. My advice, use ANY OTHER SERVICE available, do not sink 1 penny into anything they offer and ohhhh. if you like an AVERAGE bill of over $400 for phone and internet, this company is truly your best bet......

Luis Perez
March 22nd, 2019 Glendale, AZ DETAILS

One of the worst customer service I have ever seen. This company sucks!!! I've dealing with a simple issue as to replace a door sensor since December 2018; it is now March 2019, and still dealing with the issue, on top that they want to charge me $39,95 for an error they committed. Customer service representative don't seem to have enough knowledge to resolve simple issues, and went you request a supervisor, or someone that can be a decision-maker, they are reluctant to transfer you. Do not commit the same mistake I committed switching to AT&T Digital Life alarm system. I walked away from Directv for the same reason, and already started the process of finding a new provider for my alarm.

CHRISTINA
March 13th, 2019 Hilton, NY DETAILS

I had to call 3 different times to cancel my crappy service with then. Their employees down right harrass you to stay on board until shear frustration kicks in and you hang up. Then when I say that I want a refund for the month and a half that I had no service I was told that they would only give me a month credit because "Digital Life does not prorate". Are you kidding me....you did not provide me with any service....crappy as it was.....but I still have to pay. This company sucks....the system sucks and does not do what it is supposed to do.....and their customer service reps are awful. Do yourself a favor....do not use them......having a bat next to your bed would offer you better protection then AT&T Digital Life.

Kai
January 2nd, 2019 Santa Ana, CA DETAILS

Where to start. Simply AT&T should not be in the security business. No one, from sales, installation, customer service to technicians know what they are doing. I've had problems with them every step of the way for the past 5-6 years. Why stay...the industry has us trapped. You must purchase the equipment but you have no right to use it with a different service provider...so you really don't own the equipment. So you need to wait out the contract time and try to get some use out of the equipment you just spent $$$$ on. The same equipment you will have to buy for a new provided. RACKET and inept service all around.

Lisa
October 8th, 2018 Melrose Park, IL DETAILS

So had to change the battery on our back door & when we took the "thingy" off the door it completely fell apart. When I called customer service all she said was it'll take 3-5 business days to get the replacement "thingy"! So for 3-5 business days my back door has to be bypassed, meaning NO COVERAGE! So what happens if someone breaks in my back door within those 3-5 days??? It's HORRIBLE that we cannot even get an ENGLISH speaking agent that isn't reading off a script. They REFUSED to overnight me the replacement! Like they really didn't even UNDERSTAND the problem! THANK GOD I have BIG DOGS in my house to cover THEIR problem! It's a shame they charge $40 a month & won't even cover the overnight charge to insure that my house is protected! Looks like it's time for a switch!!!!!

Deb Temkin
August 21st, 2018 Hinsdale, IL DETAILS

Had a problem with 2 sensors. Turns out 1 problem wasn’t a problem at all - simply a failure on their part to record a new sensor serial number in their records. Customer Service told me I needed a technician to come out to do the repair. Customer service recorded it as a need to have a battery replaced and then recorded it as a repair requiring a $100 charge. They did not advise me at the time of making the appointment that there would be a $100 charge. Technician arrives today and advise me of the charge. I called customer service and they refused to waive the charge even though they had told me the technician needed to be here. When I threatened to cancel service they told me that that was my choice and that they would support me on it. They put me through to a different person to cancel service and she was aghast to hear of the rudeness of the customer service representative and his supervisor. She also confirmed that the customer service representative who wrote up the order should’ve advised me of a possible charge of $100 if it was indeed found that the technician was not needed for the repair. The charge should not have been charged upfront. She gave me a credit for the inconvenience. This is the only thing that saved the day and did not make me cancel my services with DigitalLife.

Susan H
July 30th, 2018 Strafford, NH DETAILS

We've had the ATT Digital life system for about 2 years and there has not been any issue with it in that time as it was running as expected i.e. if the alarm went off then a call would come in to verify need each time if the alarm was tripped, and if there was no response and the passcode/ word was not provided then EMS were dispatched within 5 minutes and at my home in less than 10. Great no bumps. Awesome system! Throw in a power outage and loss of internet and there you have some issues! After several hours of trying to get the darn thing back on line it gets stuck in test mode and (wait for it!) the customer service rep as helpful as she tried to be was unable to give me ANY technician appointment any time in the near future telling me that there was an "error" message in looking at the schedule (an we are current on our bill/ never late, etc.) To make matters worse- I requested that the bill be prorated as a result of the system not working properly and our not getting any services that we are paying for (reasonable right?) No so fast... The customer service representative was not willing/ able to speak to it other than simply providing her "understanding" and would not provide a straight answer of "yes we'll have a supervisor contact you about that" or "no, I do not currently have the authority to authorize that presently, but will escalate the call" Something/ Anything? Nope Just an apology and her "understanding that I was upset" but no "yes we will make that happen since your service is inoperable (that makes sense)". The only "solution" is that I was given a three hour window for a supervisor to call me back to address (if possible): 1.) the faulty system not being able to go back on line and out of test mode; 2.)not able to schedule a time that a technician can come to service the system installed in my home literally at all; and 3.) ATT Digital Life inability/ unwillingness to pend/ prorate the bill until it is fixed that I will still have to pay the bill for a defunct service! So very sad to say since until now we've not had any issue, but when we do have our FIRST issue BOY is it an issue because nothing can be done to fix the problem because they cannot even schedule a technician to come out and reset the system, AND cannot provide a straight answer regarding prorating the bill. Pray that you do not have power outages in New England (good luck with that) with this system because if God forbid there is a power outage and your system is off line and there is a fire in hour home or burglary too bad for you... and not tech appointment to be had. By the way to be perfectly honest the customer service person EXPRESSED that she did try her best to be as helpful as possible all in a text and not in a live person phone call by the way. I wait with abated breath for the "supervisors call" and how he/she might be able/ willing to rectify the matter... I would expect better customer service for this especially since we have everything with ATT. Get with it ATT

wayne wilson
June 20th, 2018 Franklin, TN DETAILS

We have had the service for three years now. Not one problem of what I have been reading. I set it and forget it. Customer service I have called once on how to do a check and got my answer and that was it. Sorry for the rest of you.

William Andrews
April 10th, 2018 Novi, MI DETAILS

I would strongly advise against using this company. It’s technology has too many avenues to failure. I bought their service because I am frequently away from home for extended periods of time. Often when I am gone I get some message that upon inquiry I find that I need to unplug and then plug in some device; while I am out of state. They use the internet and cellular, which causes delays if the internet is down. Their equipment is very fussy and frequently needs attention. In short, the worst security company ever. Also, their customer service folks do not even pretend to really use English properly: one time I called them (when I was out of town) they told me I had to unplug and replug in my sirene. I am not sure what a sirene is, but it is not part of a security system that I know of. Much to really dislike here.

Ed Sun
February 28th, 2018 Long Beach, CA DETAILS

Worse service ever and not willing to stand by their product. Useless customer service and their attornys do not stand by their product. Pathetic excuse for a company. AT&T Digital did not even test their product or get out the bugs, or train their staff and installers to set up a system. We are very disappointed with AT&T Digital. I wish I would have read this web site before we installed the alarm. The first couple weeks after installing the alarm we had continuous problems with alarm system, the keypads would not communicate with the brain. We complained about it multiple times and the services representatives came out multiple times to fix and could not fix, very inconsistent service. One of the days the keypad locked up and could not communicate with the brain to activate the alarm, we had a burglary and we lost thousands of dollars of Jewelry. The police found the burglar, but the jewelry was never found. AT&T spent days trying to fix the system in our house, with a whole team of AT&T Digital service representatives. Even now the Alarm will lock up, which happened again 4 months ago, and we have to wait for AT&T digital representative to come out reactivate the system. The equipment is faulty and inconsistent and not dependable. Their own service representatives have said the system is not dependable and has a lot of kinks and a lot of kinks still need to be worked out.

Georgr
February 5th, 2018 DETAILS

Do not get this service!!!!! Even if your alarm is triggered, they will wait for about 5 minutes before they call you! If you disarm the system during that same period, they will NOT dispatch the police

M a c
January 23rd, 2018 Austin, TX DETAILS

Worst service ever! Complicated system not easy to use and continuous breakdowns. Called to get it fixed Jan 10th 2018 and could not get a technician to come out until Jan 27th. Called back as the beeping from our security pad began to be continuous every five minutes and we couldn’t stop it. We have two bedrooms with the pads. Not good for sleeping! We called digital life and they could come out Wednesday, Thursday or Friday but didn’t know which day or what time! We’re done! Finding another company and cancelling AT&T! Update: Jan 23, 2018 Just wanted to add that ATT did not call nor did they show up on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday!

Joe Silva
January 4th, 2018 Riverside, CA DETAILS

We have had AT&T for a few months now and have not had any problems with any of the equipment including the camera Not to expensive compared to some of the others and I like being able to activate and de activate with my I phone and to check the camera with my phone also

Stephen Griffin
December 21st, 2017 North Little Rock, AR DETAILS

Switched from Vivint to AT&T Digital Life in March of 16 because we wanted cameras. The cameras worked for a week and then we started having issues. My wife and I both work but would call cust. svc during the day to get some assistance. We could never get anyone on the phone; we would hold 20 minutes at a time before hanging up to get back to work. After a week of this, I finally set off the alarm intentionally to get someone to call me which they did 12 minutes after the alarm was set off. At that point, it was apparent that staying with AT&T was a liability for my family in the case of a real emergency. I told them not to charge my card for service cancellation (which was on file for auto payment) because they broke their contract for failing to provide service the offered. I was told that they wouldn't and couldn't because they didn't have my card on file which I knew to be inaccurate. Sure enough, they charged my card a week later for several hundred dollars. This was by far the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

Mr. & Mrs. Reginald Goins
December 19th, 2017

My husband and I recently purchased AT&T digital life house alarm and from what we have experienced so far we like the system.

Ashley
October 31st, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Quick response time & super handy app! We love using the app on our phones to control the thermostat, lights and front door lock, it's been so convenient. And when we accidentally set the CO2 alarm off, we got a call within seconds to make sure everything was okay.

Kathi H.
September 19th, 2017 Glen Ellyn, IL

They suck. I've had it for almost 6 months. Calling customer service takes forever. On hold for hours. The APP almost never works. You finally get it working and they upgrade the APP and it goes down again. Camera quality is not good, cameras go out. Technicians that don't know what they are doing. My mom also has it. Her installation took over 12 hours - 2 cameras, door and window sensors, that's it. The cameras did not work for 5 months because it was set up wrong. I've spent so much time on the phone with them, I can troubleshoot my own system now. The only good thing is the monitoring system. Because their APP never works, it triggers the alarm a lot. They call almost immediately when the intrusion alarm goes off. Don't get suckered into this, two years is a long time for a system that sucks.

Alina G Silvestre
August 28th, 2017 Thousand Oaks, CA

I've had system for over 3 years. All wireless works like a charm. Customer service which I have not called many times is great, always courteous and informative.

David Bancroft
August 18th, 2017 Vancouver, WA

We have had the system installed for almost 2 years and it has worked as expected. Everything is wireless, so the installation was relatively simple. We have had to replace one window sensor and have another one reset twice. Simple to operate, but make sure of your local requirement for a permit. We found this out only after our large dog set the system off and the police came to the house.

Kathy
August 17th, 2017 Wheaton, IL

Great system. Have cameras, thermostat, smoke/fire/co sensors, water sensors, power door locks. Works great

Keith
August 14th, 2017 Wheaton, IL

we have not had any problems with the system works fine with our iPhones

Mary Lou
August 3rd, 2017

Equipment only works part of the time. Was scammed when ordered, was suppose to have been actual video and found out it is their commercial. very disappointed in the system, unless you know who is there you cant get a good picture of the person. Can't wait till my contract is up

Amy Phillips
July 23rd, 2017 Randallstown, MD

I signed up for ATT Life when it was new. I was told it was going to be $29.99 per month. I paid for the installation. Then the add on's started. They installed the wrong exterior cameras which had to be replaced within a month. I told them I wanted/needed to cancel when it got to $59.00 per month (about six months in). I think I turned it on twice. Didn't have any issues. My real concern is I didn't know there was a cancellation fee ($750). Not sure why since I paid upfront for the installation. I do not recommend this service - ATT getting rich(er) on people's fear. But if you do choose - read the fine print and hopefully it got better in the subsequent four years.

Robert McDonald
July 10th, 2017

The customer is not very good. I questioned installation issues and the customer rep was very rude. Several of product that was installed was not as indicated from the sale people. I had to pay extra cost to have some installation corrected. I decided to keep the service until the contract expire

Jeff
June 20th, 2017 Hacienda Heights, CA

I have had the Digital Life system for three years now. It has worked exceptionally well. I don't understand some of the comments about providing power. The sensors all use batteries on my system. Of course if you are going to run something it will require power. It's the law of physics! The only negative experienceS(Yes I added a "S" for multiple times) is their customer service people. Since I had the system installed the people I have dealt with have been FANTASTIC. It was the people who I dealt with for the original sales and install. What a rude unknowledgeable group of people. I do love the service once I got past that lump of worthlessness and nonsense.

Charles W Ingram Jr
May 24th, 2017 Indianapolis, IN

System is internet linked. Cameras always said not enough broadband. (I'm running 100-300 mbps Spectrum Internet, but this system always dragged it down). System did not work for 2 months. Got sideways with their Phillipines based Customer Service. Finally told them I would pay the 2 months IF they came out and removed the central wall unit from my wall. It has a custom bolt that I cannot remove without damaging my wall). They said I would have to pay the 2 months + the balance of the contract and terminate the service before they would do that. I finally agreed gave them my VISA number and was transferred to the installation Dept. They said they couldn't come out because I had terminated the service! (Get that? A big catch 22!) I called back customer service to complain, but they said they couldn't do anything about it because I had terminated the service and it was their policy not to remove equipment because I "owned" it! Well, a couple of weeks later I get a "late notice" from them...some idiot forgot to process my VISA card charge for the 2 weeks + the balance of the contract for $475.00! So I called them back up and explained that I had already given them my VISA card number and THEY had failed to process it, so we started the negotiations all over again, but this time I was wise to their game. I told them I would pay the 2 weeks AND the balance of the contract PLUS their $99.00 service charge to get them to come out and remove the equipment from my wall. Once again they said I would have to pay first. I told them absolutely not! I would only pay them AFTER they had performed the requested service. The customer service agent read the same script to me and i said I needed to speak to her supervisor. After about 15 minutes of haggling I did get to speak to her supervisor who read me the same script. I told her I needed to speak to HER supervisor multiple times and she finally said a supervisor would call me back within 3 to 5 DAYS. I reminded her that I was glad to pay the late payments the balance of the contract and the $99.00 service fee to remove the equipment from my wall, but not until AFTER they actually did what they said they would do. Needless to say, the HIGHER SUPERVISOR never called, but I did get a Collection Notice withing the 3-5 days! I wrote the collection agent to protest the claim within the 30 days allowed repeating my offer to pay in full under the named condition. I also sent a copy to Randall Stephenson, Chairman, President and CEO of AT&T Corporation since they don't provide any contact information (phone or address) for their subsidiary or Customer Service other than going through the same people who do nothing but read scripts provided them. At this point I am perfectly willing to have them post me as a deadbeat, but with a 790 Credit Rating and 44 years as an AT&T Customer who has offered to pay an will write supporting letters to all of the Credit Rating Agencies, I figure I can take the hit. If you can't, steer very clear of any non-wireless telephone dealings with AT&T.

Mary Johnson
May 5th, 2017

There is a lots of problems with their system. Cameras don't record all motions. Night vision on the cameras with sufficient other lighting sources is none existent. Had service personnel out constantly for over a month and nothing they did corrected the problems. I have to keep the system because it cost to much to get out of the contract. I am searching for an alternate camera system that has night vision and records when motion is detected.

Eric Whitesides
April 10th, 2017 Omaha, NE

The batteries for the keypad was not found in stores. Don't bother going to an AT&T store, they have no clue how to help you, and will refer you to call customer service, which doesn't know anything either. One of the worst purchases I have made since buying my house.

Maria O.
April 5th, 2017

No complaints on the product. The price is fine for the service, but what they fail to tell you is that all the equipment needs power and this causes your electricity bill to more than double. I had things plugged in every room. I was paying more to run the equipment than the service. Could not afford my electricity bill after a couple of months.