Best Company Guarantee Farmers Logo

Farmers

6.7

LAST UPDATED: September 16th, 2022

Farmers Insurance offers a range of coverage levels for homeowners. Its policies also have features to help your save in addition to the many discounts it offers.

It stands out for its partnership with ADT, a home security company, and its commitment to help clients and their communities recover from disaster.

Read Farmers Home Insurance Reviews

Farmers Insurance is a well-established insurer and offers other products, including life insurance, auto insurance, and renters insurance.

The Good

• High Financial Strength Ratings
  • 3 Customizable Packages
  • Nice Policy Perks
  • Many Opportunities to Save
  • ADT Home Security Partnership
  • Community and Disaster Support

High Financial Strength Ratings

Farmers Insurance has earned high financial strength ratings from A.M. Best. These ratings indicate how likely an insurance company is to be able to meet claims obligations.

High ratings indicate a high likelihood of being able to make claims payments.

Before you purchase insurance coverage, you need to make sure that the insurance provider has earned high ratings. Farmers Insurance's high ratings make its coverage options worth considering.

3 Customizable Packages

Farmers Smart Plan Home® policies come in three types: Standard, Enhanced, and Premier. General information about each coverage option is limited.

Standard coverage focuses on covering the essentials at an affordable price. The Enhanced package offers higher policy limits. The Premier package offers the highest limits.

While you may be able to find similar coverage levels at other companies, Farmers's organization of its policies makes it easier to understand what kind of coverage you're starting with before you customize your insurance policy.

Nice Policy Perks

Farmers's home insurance policies include some nice perks. The two that stand out the most are claim forgiveness and cosmetic damage coverage. If you haven't made a claim for five consecutive years, your premium won't increase the first time you make a claim.

If you file a claim for functional damage that also caused cosmetic damage, Farmers will cover costs to repair the cosmetic damage as well.

Farmers also offers Declining Deductibles®, $50 off of your deductible each year you keep your policy, and a Claims Free Discount® if you haven't filed a claim for three consecutive years.

These home insurance product features help you save money and protect your house.

Many Opportunities to Save

Farmers offers many discounts on its home insurance policies. You can receive discounts for having a smoke-free home, certain home security systems or features, buying multiple policies from Farmers, and discounts based on your career (teacher, police officer, firefighter, military, doctor, nurse, engineer, etc.).

These discounts can make meeting your insurance needs more affordable.

ADT Home Security Partnership

Farmers and ADT home security have a partnership. If you purchase ADT Command or LifeShield through Farmers, you can benefit from discounted rates while you secure your home.

This partnership and discount opportunity is another way Farmers distinguishes itself from others in the home insurance industry.

Community and Disaster Support

Farmers is committed to helping its clients and their communities recover from disasters. In major disasters, it dispatches a Catastrophe Response Team in a Mobile Claims Center bus to process claims quickly for clients in the area. This level of service makes Farmers a great choice.

Farmers also has partnerships with several nonprofits that help with recovery including Operation BBQ Relief and National First Responders Fund. This dedication to helping communities and clients through recovery is a great benefit of working with Farmers.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Premier Package Not Available in California

Limited Customer Insight

Farmers has a small number of customer reviews on BestCompany.com.

Even though there are a limited number of reviews, most of the reviews are positive.

Although not conclusive, this high proportion of positive reviews is a good sign because it indicates that Farmers offers quality home insurance and takes care of its clients.

Premier Package Not Available in California

The Premier package, which has the highest limits and coverage on personal property, is not available to California residents.

If you're in California and want this level of coverage, you'll need to look for another insurance company.

The Bottom Line

While minimal customer insight is available for Farmers Insurance, the insight available shows that Farmers offers good coverage and service to its clients. You'll also benefit from working with an insurer that partners with organizations assisting communities with disaster recovery.

Customers will appreciate policy features and discounts that help them save on claims and monthly premiums. If you want to secure your home further, you can save on two different ADT home security packages because of Farmers's partnership with ADT. Farmers is a recommended insurance provider.

Call our recommended rep over at Farmers below.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

ReputationMatters Boise, ID

I fell into having Farmers insurance when it acquired MetLife several years ago and with hefty annual premium upticks from both companies finally decided to shop around. Doing so uncovered several options from local companies - some who also offered Farmers' products - that were substantially lower. I'm talking 30% lower. So I switched, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. For some reason the Farmers customer support team member(s) I spoke with found it impossible to cancel all my policies (for several autos, several rental homes, my personal home, and an umbrella) but each time said that they did so. I start getting statements demainding payment triggering calls to Farmers again, with assurances things were fine. Then arrived letters threatening damage to my credit rating if I refused to pay. So another support call and another promise that things were actually fine. This went on for months. Even though I was told I didn't owe it, I eventually just paid the demand letters the few dollars to get them off my back. Like a sour dish rag, every interaction with farmers left a bad taste in my mouth.

Shalon Johnson Minneapolis, MN

In my opinion this is a great company! I had Farmers about 3-4 years ago. The company is very responsive when there is an issue and they are quick to complete a claim placed. Whenever I had a issue and called the representative was extremely friendly and answered any questions or concerns that I had.

James Woodworth Peoria, AZ

I recently was involved in an accident wherein a Farmer's Insurance insured vehicle rear-ended me. The claim process was easy and they were very accommodating. Very pleased with their service.

Barbra Willis Overland, MO

Great company!!! Unfortunately I had to file a claim for a driver who hit my fence and kept going. The claim was handled and funds rendered the same day with direct wire transfer to my bank.

Brandon Chicago, IL

Overall we've been pretty happy with Farmers. Rates are competitive but most importantly the agents have always been straight forward, helpful, and informative. Fortunately, have had no need to file a claim yet.

Melinda Thompson Wentzville, MO

I’ve had Farmers Insurance on a rental house for 20+ years. They have provided excellent service, claims were paid promptly and rates are reasonable. My agent, DeAnna P seems like dealing with an old friend. I have no complaints with them and highly recommend them.

HeavenlyKira Oklahoma City, OK

After contacting multiple insurances, farmers had the best rates with what they offered and the customer service was good.

Jonathan Heng Las Vegas, NV

I haven’t had to actually file a claim with them for anything luckily but while I had them, their pricing was the lowest I have had as far as homeowners insurance. I had it bundled with two cars and a motorcycle and they offered discounts for my home security system as well

Laura Mccall Yreka, CA

Farmers is great their prices are cheap for home insurance. I plan on going back to them as soon as I can. Their customer service is nice and helpful

Phyllis Green Laguna Beach, CA

Employees are very helpful. I needed Home Owners insurance and they did the research for me. I was pleased. They found the right Insurance company for me that covered all my needs.

Terri Bullhead City, AZ

Coverage is great, priced just right. Never had to use, but had the confidence & reliability of knowing I was protected.

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

We had a storm that produced golf ball size hail. I called farmers because I was worried about my roof being damaged. The claims adjuster came and walked my entire house and property. By the time it was all done, he found damage I did not even know existed until he pointed it out. Everyone we have dealt with has been friendly and helpful. They are not the cheapest insurance, but they sure covered us when we needed it.

Steven Whites West Valley City, UT

I got an amazing quote with Farmers for my home insurance policy. I believe it is based off of your credit score and how long you have had credit. So that being said I would mainly recommend them if you pay your credit cards on-time and have good credit. The deductible is high as with most home insurance policies so know that will come when you need to actually use their service. The customer service is amazing and they get ahold of you repeatedly to make sure you are well taken care of. I love using this company for my home insurance and I would highly recommend them to any home owner.

ramesh pothuru

very economical, best customer service & good guidance from agent and best in claim process.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

This is a insurance service that I would definitely recommend. I used Farmers for years and have always found the agents and staff services extremely reliable and timely. During some extremely difficult times it helped my family and I to know that Farmer's was there to assist and reduce any further anxiety. I'll be forever grateful!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Farmers insurance offered us the best home protection to date. They are cost effective, can write up easy to understand policies and make home insurance no worry at all. They are great at servicing the account as well. Can't go wrong !

STACY ESTES

I do not have any good thins to say about this company. I had a claim and the person I spoke to at Farmers to initiate the claim only allowed me to pick this particular auto body shop Gerber and would not give me a name of anyone else to choose from. Gerber did a poor job and I had to take my car to another body shop after paying $1000 deductible, and paying out of pocket to fix the mess that they had left undone. Now Farmers is charging me $ 1000 for the rental car that I had rented from Enterprise during this month long ordeal, because someone had hit the rental car after I turned it into Enterprise, but was never checked back in and some how I am responsible, wow. Not happy at all

Bob Abaya South San Francisco, CA

I tried this insurance company because a family friend was an agent. I left because while I never made a claim, I made several inquiries about coverage and they canceled me for making too many inquiries!!!

Peggy Laush Maple Valley, WA

Love this company! They do periodic checks to help save me money and always return my call right away. Small office is like a family

Krystal Cooke Houston, TX

Our guy Russ is the best! Trustworthy, compassionate, reasonable, ethical, positive and so much more. He really makes the Farmers name something special.

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

excellent home insurance at a great price. covers everything i need. no hassle getting signed up and customer support was very helpful for insurance claims

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

We had Farmer’s Insurance for a very long time and really liked the personal connection they have with their agents. They always took care of our account and any accidents. They are too high in price, so we ended up needing to switch.

P. Pollock Laguna Niguel, CA

A few years ago I would have given this company 5 stars across the board. Today? Not a snowball's chance in *ell. Two and a half years ago a pipe broke in the kitchen and flooded my wood floors. I cleaned up the water and then weeks later noticed that the wood floors were warping . Farmers came to the resuce and paid for the remediation and repairs whichamounted to over $50K in damages. Two years later( now 2021) while we were sleeping, a pipe developed a water spraying burst in between the 2 bathroom walls. It must have run all night because the following morning we awoke to a literal lake in our house, more damage than 2 years prior as the water had apparently sprayed all night flooding every room in the house except the living room and laundry room. Water DAMAGE EVEN EXTENDED INTO THE FINISHED GARAGE WALLS. Because I was refinaning at the time and barely meeting the income to debt ratio, I did not want to immediately turn in a claim to Farmers fearing my rates would increase and this would prohibit my refi from being approved. Over 400 photos were taken documenting the water damage , the remediation and the repairs in progress and the repairs completed . After the loan business concluded, I filed a claim with Farmers.( A customer can file a claim up to 1 year after an incident. I filed the claim about 3-4 months after THE DAMAGE , WELL WITHIN THE ACCEPTED TIMEFRAME.) Some old witch from Farmers , who did not know what she was doing, came out to inspect the house and collect the photos and receipts which totaled over $50,000. She never even looked at the receipts then sent a chek for less than 1/3 of the cost of the repairs to "fully cover" the loss. The damage had also extended into the finished garage wall, which she decided she was not going to cover. No reason was ever provided. Apparently she was not "in the mood" to include that water damage in the claim. The old witch never looked at the receipts and although water damage extended up the wall 48", she claimed she was only going to cover 18" of damage. Two years ago the walls were painted with oil based paint, which is no longer available for use in CA. But according to this idiot, we could repair just 18" and paint water based paint right over oil based paint and everything would match the older paint and be just fine. Uhh...no. Water based paint cannot be painted over oil based paint and after 6 months paint does not match. Nevermind that the walls had to be sanded and primed to accept water based paint now, so this would be even MORE expensive than 2 years ago. I no longer will refer anyone to Farmers and am shopping around for more dependable insurance. I have home, business, and auto all with Farmers and I like my agent, who is good at his job and very prompt in returning phone calls. However, Insurance is worthless if the claims adjustors dont step up to the plate and then only reimburse a customer a small fraction of her loss. $15,000 paid on a claim that cost me over $50,000 even without the damage to the garage walls, is just not cutting it. Any insurance company is friendly and happy to collect your premiums, but a company that fails to pay an adequate amount on a legitiment well documented claim is simply not worth doing buinness with. Adios Farmers.

Matthew Laney Chino, CA

I currently have my home insured with Farmers. I have had excellent customer service with them. They are always very easy to contact and are solution oriented. Their premium is very reasonable. I plan on continuing to do business with Farmers Home Insurance.

Trisha Teague-Munoz Shreveport, LA

The rates are reasonable and they’re reputable.

Wendy Hunter Riverton, UT

We've been with Farmers Insurance for the past twenty plus years. They have always treated us fairly. We love our agent. He is very responsive. We feel like Farmers is the best for home owners insurance as well as auto insurance.

Brad H Gilbert, AZ

We use Farmers insurance for both our home. and auto insurance. As a Home insurance company we find their rates very reasonable. and often lower than other competitors for the same insurance coverage. Our insurance agent is very good about returning our calls and making sure we are satisfied with the company. When we have had claims he. has made sure that is an efficient process so that we can get our money quickly and easily. Very satisfied with their performance.

Cindy H Gilbert, AZ

We have had Farmers home owner insurance for over 20 years and it seems to be a good value. We have never made a claim on it so i can't speak to that but they have been good on claims for auto so i expect the same level of customer service if needed for our home.

Rick Froid Park Ridge, IL

Farmers Insurance company is very dependable. Great rates, good service and there when you need them.

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

State Farm has good customer service and provide various insurance products. And their prices are reasonable compared to other insurance companies.

Kevin Damian ,

The agent that contacted me in regards to the deals I was interested in was really sweet and introduced me into the matter very easily. I truly appreciate such a professional approach. Thx

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

Good company. I've used them off and on for many years. I've had good agents. The price constantly goes up so I leave and switch to another company. Then two years later they are cheaper again.

L Gilbert, AZ

My experience with Farmer’s spanned about 15 years and was very positive. My only complaint was when they accidentally dropped my life insurance and wouldn’t reissue, even though it was totally their fault. When we changed to another agency, the agent st Farmer’s got pretty rude because he didn’t want to lose the business.

Brent Crosbie Smithfield, UT

Farmer's has been a good company to deal with and have taken decent care of my needs. However, I have had my struggles with their agents. The ones I have dealt with are not as proactive as I like in managing my insurance needs.

Tiauna Anderson Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I have our homeowners, life insurance. car insurance, and earthquake insurance with Farmers and we love them. The branch we is so helpful and quick to respond.

H Moore Lehi, UT

We've been with Farmers home insurance for 18 years. When we had to use the policy once, they were very helpful, and we were able to get the needed repairs done.

Donna Fornof Bess San Angelo, TX

The people in my local office are amazing!

Bob Mcnamara Koloa, HI

Easy payments through bank account and if problems, they are fast to respond.

Michelle McC Chicago, IL

Rates were fair and we had an excellent agent who was always accessible and helpful

Ginny Tremayne Logan, UT

We have had Farmer's Insurance for 42 years. Over those years we had many claims. All were taken care of quickly and to our satisfaction.

AF ,

Our agent is really great to work with and always available when we have questions. They seem a little bit expensive, but we've been happy with it overall.

Rhonda stewart Queen Creek, AZ

Good rates. Very comparable with other companies . Had a great agent. Great customer service

Gloria Brown Plymouth Meeting, PA

Farmersville a great insurance company to have , they are fair and worthwhile having as a insurance company

Leonard Thompson Show Low, AZ

This company is so awful I wouldn’t even give them one star. By far this is the worst insurance company I have ever dealt with. They are lazy, don’t listen to changes, and make things more difficult then things need to be. We saved over $300 by switching to another insurance company.

Cynthia DeGrey ,

Farmers provides my auto and home owners insurance. They have always been very responsive and paid claims quickly

Karen Nelson Alpine, UT

We used farmers as our family insurance for a time. They were always VERY quick and extremely friendly.

Taylor Siren Gilbert, AZ

Farmers insurance is an experienced company that can help you and your family receive your coverage you need.

jesse esparza Corpus Christi, TX

they have dealt with me honestly and without hassle

Brandon Holcombe Dallas, GA

Take better care of their customers than any insurance agency ever seen

Trista Siren Gilbert, AZ

Great rates for my family! Don't know where we'd be without their coverage.