Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

AllState was founded in 1931 by General Robert E. Wood and is currently based in Northbrook, Illinois. They currently serve over 16 million households in the United States. In 1993, they became a publicly traded company. AllState offers auto, home, and life insurance. They provide local agents to help customers find the best insurance options.

State Farm Logo State Farm ›

9.6

Overall
Score

Wells Fargo Logo Wells Fargo ›

7.0

Overall
Score

AAA Logo AAA ›

Insufficient
Reviews

AllState Logo AllState ›

Insufficient
Reviews

The Good

• Local Agents
  • Discounts
  • Optional Coverages
  • Online Resources

Local Agents

AllState advertises their use of local agents. They have thousands of agents nationwide. These agents assist customers in finding discounts, filing claims, and understanding both policies and coverages. Local agents allow customers to discuss specific needs and find the best policies with AllState.

Discounts

AllState advertises a large selection of discount options, especially compared to competitors. Their website clearly outlines the details for each discount, including percentages and qualifying factors. Discounts include the following:

• Multi-policy discount
  • Safe home discount
  • Welcome discount
  • 55 and retired discount

Optional Coverages

AllState clearly outlines a list of optional coverage options. On their website they explain the basics elements covered by most insurance policies, such as dwelling, personal property, guest medical and liability coverage. The list of additional coverage options is larger than some of their competitors:

• Water backup
  • Yard and green
  • Electronic data recovery
  • Musical instruments

Online Resources

AllState offers a variety of free online resources. They have featured tools, such as a homeowner's insurance quiz to help educate consumers. Their website includes a large collection of articles and videos. The resources cover a wide breadth of topics ranging from termite damage to flood insurance.

The Bad

• Limited Purchasing Options
  • Captive Agents

Limited Purchasing Options

Customers may receive an insurance quote online, however, AllState requires customers to purchase homeowner's insurance through an agent. Many of AllState's competitors provide a wider range of purchasing options, such as buying insurance entirely online, through customer service centers, or through an agent.

Captive Agents

AllState primarily hires captive insurance agents, meaning their agents sell exclusively for AllState. As a result, customers may need to receive quotes from other companies to ensure that they are receiving the best deal.

The Bottom Line

AllState is a great option, especially for new homeowners. Their website offers a large collection of materials for customers to find clear and important information about homeowner's insurance. The use of the local agents may be an asset to new customers who are unfamiliar with insurance policies. However, customers seeking to purchase insurance entirely online will need to seek other options.

AllState offers a variety of discounts and optional coverage options to help tailor policies to the needs of individual consumers. We recommend customers researching individual agents and comparing quotes to make sure they receive the best deal. We recognize AllState as a great option for many homeowners.

Leslie
August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Allstate is the best insurance I’ve ever had. Cost is great and my agent is easy to work with.

Sara Jane
July 26th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

The service took good care of us during a power outage. But the cost went up after that so we had to change companies.

Mary Walker
July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY DETAILS

Allstate has always been prompt with claims

Troy Siren
June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Got a great deal with my home coverage. Rate was cheaper than I expected.

Taylor Siren
June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Allstate costumer service is like none you will ever experience, they provide comfort and peace of mind to you and your family.

Mike
May 29th, 2018 Okemah, OK DETAILS

Absolutely terrible highly unethical borderline illegal practices you will most certainly NOT be in good hands with Allstate! I was forced into making a decision that I protested from the beginning and the damage was well over 75% of the cars value and they forced the mechanic to make the repairs not till the parts were ordered (at AllStates request not mine) did I sign the check because at the point I absolutely had no choice in the matter! I expressed my concern numerous times but they ignored me due to the fact it was uninsured motorist claim is all that I can figure...this wasn’t even my fault!! I buy insurance so when bad stuff happens I’m covered and this was not the case here!! Worst experience I’ve ever had

Andrea S
April 18th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

We have had a great experience with our Allstate homeowner's insurance. When we had damage to our home after a storm, they were quick to take care of it and it was a smooth easy process.

Chris Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS

Not a great company to work with ok product value.

Suzanna Wootton
December 18th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS

I've had a positive experience with Allstate. I had to get a tree in my backyard trimmed back because there was a limb right above my roof and I appreciated that Allstate sent us a notice in the mail to let us know we needed to get it removed. However, I do wish they would've given us a little more time than they did, time to take care of the issue.