Allstate was founded in 1931 by General Robert E. Wood and is based in Northbrook, Illinois. Allstate offers auto, business, and life insurance policies in addition to home insurance.

The company provides local agents to help customers find the best insurance options for their particular state of residence, but the standard policies generally cover these perils:

• Theft
  • Fire and smoke
  • Windstorm or hail
  • Falling objects
  • Frozen plumbing
  • Water damage (from plumbing, water heater, heating or cooling system, or appliance)

The Good

• Local Agents
  • Discounts
  • Optional Coverage Add-Ons
  • Online Resources

Local Agents

Allstate advertises its use of local agents and has thousands of agents nationwide. These agents assist customers in finding discounts, filing claims, and understanding the policies and coverages available. Local agents allow customers to discuss specific needs and find the best policies with Allstate.

Discounts

Allstate has several opportunities for discounts, especially compared to competitors. The website clearly outlines the details for each discount, including percentages and qualifying factors. Discounts include the following:

• Multi-policy discount (up to 25% savings)
  • Easy pay plan (up to 5% savings with automatic payments)
  • Claim-free discount (up to 20% savings)
  • Early signing discount (up to 10% savings)
  • Home buyer discount
  • Welcome and loyalty discount (up to 10% savings)
  • 55 and retired discount
  • Home-specific discounts
    • Smoke-free home
    • Storm shutters
    • Hail-resistant roof
    • Theft or fire protection devices

Optional Coverage Add-Ons

Allstate covers the basics elements covered by most insurance policies, such as dwelling coverage, personal property coverage, guest medical protection, and liability protection. In addition, the list of additional coverage options is useful to clients with particular coverage needs:

• Water backup
  • Yard and garden
  • Electronic data recovery
  • Musical instruments

Online Resources

Allstate offers a variety of free online resources. There are featured tools, such as a homeowner's insurance quiz, to educate consumers, as well as a large collection of articles and videos covering a wide breadth of topics ranging from termite damage to flood insurance.

The Bad

• Limited Purchasing Options
  • Captive Agents

Limited Purchasing Options

Customers may receive an insurance quote online. However, Allstate requires customers to purchase homeowner's insurance through an agent rather than entirely online or through a customer service center.

Captive Agents

Allstate primarily hires captive insurance agents, meaning Allstate agents sell exclusively for Allstate. As a result, customers may want to get quotes from other companies to ensure that they are receiving the best deal.

The Bottom Line

Allstate is a great option, especially for new homeowners. Allstate offers a variety of discounts and optional coverage options to help tailor policies to the needs of individual consumers. Plus, clients have the option of adding additional policy features that may be beneficial:

• Claim rateguard: home insurance premium won't go up because you file a claim
  • Claim-free rewards: save $100 on your deductible for switching without any recent claims and get $100 off your premium each year you stay claim-free (up to $500)

3.9

Mandie Bremer

June 12th, 2020 Moncks Corner, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents had this insurance about 20 years ago our basement caught on fire and Allstate did everything they could to make sure the process ran smoothly and we got everything that was lost in the fire replaced.

Linda Larabee

June 4th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My agent, Adam P, is absolutely fantastic! While I have not had to place any claims through Allstate yet, I am more than confident they will handle my claim expediently and properly!

Molly Keogh

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Allstate home insurance for about 15 years. The time we have had to use it for a flooded kitchen they were very helpful and quick to get us the money. I wish they were not so quick to penalize for just one usage in all our time.

Aunt Cathy

January 24th, 2020 Bay Saint Louis, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had them for about 33 yrs now as our home ins. True they have gone up since Katrina, but they were about 90% good on replacement monies for repairs. Just good to know they are here when we need them.

Geoff Hk

October 21st, 2019 Beverly Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate hired a consulting firm years ago which advised it not to give out any payouts to insured customers even if they were entitled to do it. And to fight it everystep of the way. My neighbor is a doctor who had house insurance with them and his house was destroyed by a fire (not his fault) and even though he was clearly covered in the details of his policy they denied his claim. He had to take them up the court system (took years) to finally get justice. He won his case but it was a huge headache and use of his time. Stay away from Allstate. You're NOT in good hands with Allstate! (Besides their 'hands' are there just to pick your pocket if my neighbor's experience is any indication). I myself had a small policy with them but cancelled it after this incident.

Steve Edwards

March 24th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate doesn't send licensed adjusters to your home any more. At least this is the case with the first few rounds of having a loss. They send an unlicensed rookie to you home to hold a camera for someone else in a different part of the world. Probably China! They do this to save $$$ for their share holders. They do this so that rookie misses all kinds of damages owed under the policy. Then they can claim that oops, we didn't know that... So when you file a claim, they will ask you a list of questions. If they mention Eagleview, Drone or Virtual Inspection, don't do it! Tell them you want a licensed adjuster to come to your home and that you refuse to accept anything other than that. They will buck like a bronco! Refuse, Refuse, Reuse, then report them to your State Insurance Commissioner. I know multiple friends that have been burnt by Allstate and I myself have been too!

Leslie

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate is the best insurance I’ve ever had. Cost is great and my agent is easy to work with.

Sara Jane

July 25th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

The service took good care of us during a power outage. But the cost went up after that so we had to change companies.

Mary Walker

July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate has always been prompt with claims

Troy Siren

June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Got a great deal with my home coverage. Rate was cheaper than I expected.

Taylor Siren

June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Allstate costumer service is like none you will ever experience, they provide comfort and peace of mind to you and your family.

Mike

May 25th, 2018 Okemah, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely terrible highly unethical borderline illegal practices you will most certainly NOT be in good hands with Allstate! I was forced into making a decision that I protested from the beginning and the damage was well over 75% of the cars value and they forced the mechanic to make the repairs not till the parts were ordered (at AllStates request not mine) did I sign the check because at the point I absolutely had no choice in the matter! I expressed my concern numerous times but they ignored me due to the fact it was uninsured motorist claim is all that I can figure...this wasn’t even my fault!! I buy insurance so when bad stuff happens I’m covered and this was not the case here!! Worst experience I’ve ever had

Andrea Smith

April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a great experience with our Allstate homeowner's insurance. When we had damage to our home after a storm, they were quick to take care of it and it was a smooth easy process.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a great company to work with ok product value.

Suzanna Wootton

December 16th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a positive experience with Allstate. I had to get a tree in my backyard trimmed back because there was a limb right above my roof and I appreciated that Allstate sent us a notice in the mail to let us know we needed to get it removed. However, I do wish they would've given us a little more time than they did, time to take care of the issue.