While Allstate is better known for its car insurance policies, it also offers home insurance. It stands out from others for its wide variety of discounts and its HostAdvantage® policy that covers stolen property if you rent your furnished home.

While there are benefits to working with Allstate, its review count on BestCompany.com is low. It's promising that most of these reviews are positive. However, a few reviewers discuss serious concerns with the claims process.

Read Allstate Home Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Large Variety of Discounts
  • Customizable Policies
  • Multiple Types of Homes Covered
  • HostAdvantage® Policy
  • Online Quotes

Large Variety of Discounts

One of the biggest advantages of choosing Allstate homeowners insurance is its selection of discounts. Some of the key discounts it offers are as follows:

• Easy Pay Plan® (discount for setting up automatic payments)
  • Multi-policy
  • Claim-free
  • Protective device
  • Early signing
  • Welcome and loyalty
  • Home buyer
  • 55 and Retired
  • Smoke-free
  • Home features (storm shutters, hail-resistant roofs, etc.)

With so many discounts, Allstate makes it easy to save on premiums.

Customizable Policies

Allstate's home insurance policies can be customized to include unique features like green improvement reimbursement, yard and garden, electronic data recovery, musical instruments, sports equipment, business property, scheduled personal property, water backup, and identity theft restoration.

This optional coverage builds on your home insurance policy to offer extra protection to meet your insurance needs.

While some of this additional coverage is also available through other homeowners insurance companies, Allstate stands out for the green improvement reimbursement coverage option.

Multiple Types of Homes Covered

In addition to houses, Allstate offers insurance policies for landlords, condos, and mobile homes. Whatever building you call home, Allstate has coverage options to meet your needs.

HostAdvantage® Policy

Allstate further stands out from other insurers with its HostAdvantage® policy. This policy offers coverage for stolen belongings if you are sharing your home temporarily with renters.

You can identify the items in your home through Allstate's app using the Digital Locker® Tool.

This policy also includes a Merry Maids discount on your first four cleanings.

If you're renting your furnished home, Allstate's HostAdvantage® policy offers helpful insurance coverage.

Online Quotes

Allstate makes it easy to get an online quote for home insurance coverage. After providing some personal information, you can view insurance rate quotes. You can also save your quotes and return to them later.

While common among companies offering online quotes, the ability to save your quote makes it easy to view costs, check other homeowners insurance policy options, and return if Allstate is the best fit.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Reviewer Concerns with Claims

Limited Customer Insight

Allstate has a small number of customer reviews on BestCompany.com, which means we don't have enough information on the customer experience to make a clear recommendation. However, most of the insurer's reviews are positive, which indicates a positive customer experience.

Reviewer Concerns with Claims

While most of Allstate's reviews on BestCompany.com are positive, there are a few negative reviews that mention significant concerns with the claims process.

For example, one reviewer noted that Allstate doesn't send a licensed claims adjuster to assess damage, which means that some covered damage may go unnoticed and unreported.

Claims are the reason you pay a regular insurance premium. Concerns about Allstate's insurance claim processes should be taken seriously. As you consider Allstate home insurance, ask questions about the claims process and how the insurance provider performs inspections when damage is assessed.

The Bottom Line

While Allstate has many handy policy features, discounts, and a high proportion of positive reviews, reviewer difficulty with the claims processes are concerning.

If you're considering buying a home insurance policy from Allstate, be sure to ask questions and thoroughly understand how the insurance company handles claims before you buy a policy.

4.0

Jma55

November 9th, 2020 Smithfield, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used Allstate insurance for the entirety of our home ownership. They are always friendly and approachable when we have concerns or questions.

Mandie Bremer

June 12th, 2020 Moncks Corner, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My parents had this insurance about 20 years ago our basement caught on fire and Allstate did everything they could to make sure the process ran smoothly and we got everything that was lost in the fire replaced.

Linda Larabee

June 4th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

My agent, Adam P, is absolutely fantastic! While I have not had to place any claims through Allstate yet, I am more than confident they will handle my claim expediently and properly!

Molly Keogh

February 19th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had Allstate home insurance for about 15 years. The time we have had to use it for a flooded kitchen they were very helpful and quick to get us the money. I wish they were not so quick to penalize for just one usage in all our time.

Aunt Cathy

January 24th, 2020 Bay Saint Louis, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We've had them for about 33 yrs now as our home ins. True they have gone up since Katrina, but they were about 90% good on replacement monies for repairs. Just good to know they are here when we need them.

Geoff Hk

October 21st, 2019 Beverly Hills, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate hired a consulting firm years ago which advised it not to give out any payouts to insured customers even if they were entitled to do it. And to fight it everystep of the way. My neighbor is a doctor who had house insurance with them and his house was destroyed by a fire (not his fault) and even though he was clearly covered in the details of his policy they denied his claim. He had to take them up the court system (took years) to finally get justice. He won his case but it was a huge headache and use of his time. Stay away from Allstate. You're NOT in good hands with Allstate! (Besides their 'hands' are there just to pick your pocket if my neighbor's experience is any indication). I myself had a small policy with them but cancelled it after this incident.

Steve Edwards

March 24th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate doesn't send licensed adjusters to your home any more. At least this is the case with the first few rounds of having a loss. They send an unlicensed rookie to you home to hold a camera for someone else in a different part of the world. Probably China! They do this to save $$$ for their share holders. They do this so that rookie misses all kinds of damages owed under the policy. Then they can claim that oops, we didn't know that... So when you file a claim, they will ask you a list of questions. If they mention Eagleview, Drone or Virtual Inspection, don't do it! Tell them you want a licensed adjuster to come to your home and that you refuse to accept anything other than that. They will buck like a bronco! Refuse, Refuse, Reuse, then report them to your State Insurance Commissioner. I know multiple friends that have been burnt by Allstate and I myself have been too!

Leslie

August 29th, 2018 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate is the best insurance I’ve ever had. Cost is great and my agent is easy to work with.

Sara Jane

July 25th, 2018 Crestwood, KY

The service took good care of us during a power outage. But the cost went up after that so we had to change companies.

Mary Walker

July 23rd, 2018 Georgetown, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Allstate has always been prompt with claims

Troy Siren

June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Got a great deal with my home coverage. Rate was cheaper than I expected.

Taylor Siren

June 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Allstate costumer service is like none you will ever experience, they provide comfort and peace of mind to you and your family.

Mike

May 25th, 2018 Okemah, OK DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Absolutely terrible highly unethical borderline illegal practices you will most certainly NOT be in good hands with Allstate! I was forced into making a decision that I protested from the beginning and the damage was well over 75% of the cars value and they forced the mechanic to make the repairs not till the parts were ordered (at AllStates request not mine) did I sign the check because at the point I absolutely had no choice in the matter! I expressed my concern numerous times but they ignored me due to the fact it was uninsured motorist claim is all that I can figure...this wasn’t even my fault!! I buy insurance so when bad stuff happens I’m covered and this was not the case here!! Worst experience I’ve ever had

Andrea Smith

April 16th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had a great experience with our Allstate homeowner's insurance. When we had damage to our home after a storm, they were quick to take care of it and it was a smooth easy process.

Chris Wootton

December 17th, 2017 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not a great company to work with ok product value.

Suzanna Wootton

December 16th, 2017 Springville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've had a positive experience with Allstate. I had to get a tree in my backyard trimmed back because there was a limb right above my roof and I appreciated that Allstate sent us a notice in the mail to let us know we needed to get it removed. However, I do wish they would've given us a little more time than they did, time to take care of the issue.