Best Company Guarantee Allstate Logo

Allstate

6.8

LAST UPDATED: September 27th, 2022

While Allstate is better known for its car insurance policies, it also offers home insurance. It stands out from others for its wide variety of discounts and its HostAdvantage® policy that covers stolen property if you rent your furnished home.

You can also benefit from online quotes and the ability to work with an insurance agent.

While there are benefits to working with Allstate, its review count on BestCompany.com is low. It's promising that most of these reviews are positive. However, a few reviewers discuss serious concerns with the claims process.

Read Allstate Home Insurance Reviews

The Good

• Large Variety of Discounts
  • Customizable Policies
  • Multiple Types of Homes Covered
  • HostAdvantage® Policy
  • Online Quotes
  • Competitive Financial Strength Rating

Large Variety of Discounts

One of the biggest advantages of choosing Allstate homeowners insurance is its selection of discounts. Some of the key discounts it offers are as follows:

• Easy Pay Plan® (discount for setting up automatic payments)
  • Multi-policy
  • Claim-free
  • Protective device
  • Early signing
  • Welcome and loyalty
  • Home buyer
  • 55 and Retired
  • Smoke-free
  • Home features (storm shutters, hail-resistant roofs, etc.)

With so many discounts, Allstate makes it easy to save on premiums.

Customizable Policies

Allstate offers the standard options for the industry including dwelling coverage, liability coverage, personal property coverage, and medical payments coverage.

Allstate's home insurance policies can be customized to include unique features like green improvement reimbursement, yard and garden, electronic data recovery, musical instruments, sports equipment, business property, scheduled personal property, water backup, and identity theft restoration.

An Allstate insurance agent can also help you buy flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program. Its homeowners policies do not cover floods, which is typical for the industry.

This optional coverage builds on your home insurance policy to offer extra protection to meet your insurance needs.

While some of this additional coverage is also available through other homeowners insurance companies, Allstate stands out for the green improvement reimbursement coverage option.

Multiple Types of Homes Covered

In addition to houses, Allstate offers insurance policies for landlords, condos, and mobile homes. Whatever building you call home, Allstate has coverage options to meet your needs.

HostAdvantage® Policy

Allstate further stands out from other insurers with its HostAdvantage® policy. This policy offers coverage for stolen belongings if you are sharing your home temporarily with renters.

You can identify the items in your home through Allstate's app using the Digital Locker® Tool.

This policy also includes a Merry Maids discount on your first four cleanings.

If you're renting your furnished home, Allstate's HostAdvantage® policy offers helpful insurance coverage.

Online Quotes

Allstate makes it easy to get an online quote for home insurance coverage. After providing some personal information, you can view insurance rate quotes. You can also save your quotes and return to them later.

While common among companies offering online quotes, the ability to save your insurance quote makes it easy to view costs, check other homeowners insurance policy options, and return if Allstate is the best fit.

Competitive Financial Strength Rating

Allstate has received a high financial strength rating from A.M. Best. This rating indicates that Allstate is financially stable and likely to be able to meet claims obligations.

Most competitive insurers have high financial strength ratings, so Allstate's rating makes it competitive.

The Bad

• Limited Customer Insight
  • Reviewer Concerns with Allstate Claims

Limited Customer Insight

Allstate customer reviews on BestCompany.com are limited, which means we don't have enough information on the customer experience or customer satisfaction to make a clear recommendation.

However, most of the insurer's reviews are positive, which indicates a positive customer experience.

Reviewer Concerns with Allstate Claims

While most of Allstate's reviews on BestCompany.com are positive, there are a few negative reviews from people with low claims satisfaction.

For example, one reviewer noted that Allstate doesn't send a licensed claims adjuster to assess damage, which means that some covered damage may go unnoticed and unreported.

Claims are the reason you pay a regular insurance premium. Concerns about Allstate's insurance claim processes should be taken seriously.

As you consider an Allstate home insurance product, ask questions about the claims process and how the insurance provider performs inspections when damage is assessed.

The Bottom Line

While Allstate has many handy policy features, discounts, and a high proportion of positive reviews, reviewer difficulty with the claims processes are concerning.

If you're considering buying a home insurance policy from Allstate, be sure to ask questions and thoroughly understand how the homeowners insurance company handles claims before you buy a policy.

bestcompany guarantee

Learn More

Gary Miami, FL

We changed our HO coverage to Allstate in 2021 after researching coverage from various insurers thru our auto & homeowner insurance agent. Up to that time, our homeowners coverage was with a company that had just recently gone out of business in Florida. The insurance agency we used in our search gave us coverage information and costs for several insurance companies including Allstate. We choose Allstate because their rates were better than the others. Further, the coverages were more comprehensive and, the deductibles were better. Generally, the overall coverage package was better than we had with our previous company, the deductibles were lower and the total annual cost was less. Allstate is a longtime trusted name/company and this alone went strongly in our decision. Allstate even recommended that, because our home was only 3 years old, we could get an additional credit if we would get a roof Wind Mitigation inspection certificate approved by Allstate. We did so and received a $451 credit off our annual payment! And we will continue to receive a credit annually for this! I highly recommend Allstate for homeowners insurance coverage. It certainly was a great choice for us

michael L Wallace Arlington, TX

i have been with Allstate for a number of years using them for my car and home insurance. I have had to use them a number of times, for both car and home and I have always been treated with the upmost respect. The representatives are professional, knowledgable, and answers all my questions in a timely manner. I recently had a windshield replacement, and when I talked to Allstate they told me that they could recommend a company or I could use any company I chose. I could not have been treated better. I have never had anything other than a very positive experience when working with Allstate. You ARE in good hands with Allstate.

TexasT Sherman, TX

I've been with Allstate for a long time and wouldn't change companies. I had claim in 2016, when my water heater broke and water damaged a bathroom and carpet in the adjoining rooms. Allstate came out, assessed the damage and paid for everything minus my deductible. They actually took care of a little more than I expected. I especially appreciate that I have a local agent I can talk to at any time face to face.

Flora Pickerington, OH

I have been an Allstate customer for the past 10 years. This is by far the best insurance company. You earn rewards and points while driving safely. You get discounts for multiple factors. My agent is reachable via email, phone and will respond even after hours. I remember behind out of the country and needed an urgent document . His staff took care of that for me and I was so grateful.

Pam Sims Hayden, ID

At our age we’ve had many insurance policies. For decades we have had Allstate. Last March, we had an unfortunate break in the kitchen water pipes. Of course, it happened overnight And by morning everything was saturated. I called Allstate; they had someone there in no time. They handled absolutely everything so efficiently. They removed flooring, cabinets, appliances, replaced faucet and pipes, brought in huge fans and heat to dry subfloor, placed fans and heaters in crawl space, replaced some subfloor; (I know, right!! But they did more!!!!) They replaced the flooring with a wonderful waterproof floor that the quality far exceeded what we previously had. They did it all!! We just were there to let the workers in😊. Allstate handled all the contacts ( plumbers, electrician, remediation, floor specialist, etc) and payments. Never have we been so thankful! Forever a loyal customer of Allstate.

Lisa Iezzi Wilmington, NC

I have been with all state for years. They are always positive, check in to make sure things are going well, remember birthdays and holidays. My agent is always available friendly quality service

no sugarcoating Cheshire, CT

Been with them for years, I had one 'accident' when a tree fell on my house and did some minor damage. Process was painful between inspector, adjustor and roofer, I had to get involved in every step but got it done at the end of the day (more like couple months...) . Just like every insurance company, they are great when you don't need them! My agent is really nice and maybe that's why I stayed with them so long?

David Bornancin Westlake, OH

I have used and purchased Allstate Home insurance before and it was great. I look for a company that asks the right questions such as type of coverage, deductibles, medical coverage, property coverage and levels and provides a powerful staff to address all your needs when something goes wrong or damage to your home. Great company and service.

Mark G Austin, TX

I had been an Allstate customer for years with multiple policies. However, when it came time to get help with a roof that had minor hail damage from several storms over a few years, we were denied each time. This was incredibly frustrating, and the initial reasons seemed like "convenient realities." Eventually, the roof was old enough that the home policy could easily deny any claim. We felt paying our premiums was a colossal waste of money. You're probably wondering why I would give Allstate three stars after that opening. Two main reasons - the Allstate agent we worked with was excellent, and his staff provided reliable customer service. The second reason is the cost was very competitive; however, that ultimately came at a price to us. The agent and his team are the ones that would explain why claims were denied. Those explanations were much better than the pathetic notifications from the adjusters and Allstate itself but didn't improve the situation. We are no longer and probably never will be customers of Allstate again. Insurance is a protection against the unforeseen calamities of life. If you can't count on that, what are you paying for? If we had saved and invested the premium payments when we bought the house, we could've paid for the new roof and still had money left over. Of course, if the house burned down, we'd be ruined. Food for thought: You see Allstate commercials on TV, their name on stadiums, and other marketing. Who do you think pays for that? I'll stick to paying a slightly higher premium payment with a company focused on customer, not shareholder, value.

Kateri McKnight Beaumont, TX

I absolutely loved being an Allstate client! Although one must have great driving record to obtain it, it’s well worth it. While a customer, the customer service is great as well as any offsite communication such as mobile app.

Chary Akmyrat Little Rock, AR

I am having all the good experiences due to my multiple insurance policy with Allstate. They have offices everywhere and I have in-person options when necessary. Periodically they call and check if the policy needs an update or adjustments and keep me updated with the savings and discounts if I qualify.

Rachel Porter Chicago, IL

Allstate Milewise program charges by the mile, with a small minimum daily charge. This has saved me hundreds of dollars each year on car insurance as I only pay for the miles I drive which isn't much. I also have renters insurance through Allstate. Though I've not had to file a claim, based on their handling of my car insurance claims, I feel confident that I will be treated fairly and receive great customer service.

Alison Harney Huntington Beach, CA

What I like about Allstate, so far, is that my agent puts out a lot of information to help the homeowner. He sends emails and puts out videos that explain every part of being a homeowner which includes how the policy works in certain cases. He gives tips on how to prevent damages, what to do when an incident occurs, and always welcomes our feedback.

Bernard Haynes Milwaukee, WI

Very good insurance, great coverage, pleasant customer service experience! Easy company to work with, I'm ecstatic about our relationship!

A 1 Dallas, TX

The customer service is pretty good but unfortunately the coverages were explained to me better than they actually are. I found this out when I recently made a claim for water damage.

Ashlyn Elwood Roswell, GA

Allstate is expensive, but worth the cost. They have local agents that have been able to help me with my home insurance no matter where I am and their online estimate was spot on in helping me get a great price quote on the coverage I wanted. I love the number of options available to choose from.

Frank Rivera Lynnfield, MA

I switched to Allstate after a negative experience with a discount insurer. Allstate's customer service created a comprehensive affordable plan that I wish was in place prior to being insured with a competitor.

Dennis Madera, CA

We have had Allstate home insurance for many years. Before Allstate we had Farmers insurance as my father-in-law was our agent, but when he retired he told us to switch over to Allstate…this was a great move for us as we saved money every year! Great agent and very good rates!!!

MAB Rancho Santa Margarita, CA

I am 66 and every year my multiple (3) Allstate Insurance policy premiums go up. I call and get maybe a small adjustment. I have never made an Auto claim and drive under 5k miles per year and I pay $1300 yr. However, I did have a HO claim and pay $1750 per year up $200 in 2 yrs so I think thats how they get their money back, they just raise your premium every year across your policies and you can't switch since once you have a claim no one wants you. What a rip off plus they told me because I was single female and never married I was a higher risk so my agent switched me to "widowed" status to keep the increases low. So you NOT in good hands with Allstate if you never married and had a claim.

Robert Mott Bellevue, MI

Its been awhile but its a good company to deal with. I like their website and might switch.

Bess Wilfong St Louis, MO

Allstate is a reliable company that goes out of their way to accommodate their customers. We had a good experience with our claim.

Fernando Chicago, IL

Their coverage was within my budget. I haven’t had to file a claim, yet. But I know when I do they will be there to help me. Their representatives are awesome

Cassie Banuelos Clearwater, FL

I liked that they were able to be reached easily and everyone was so nice to speak with. I didn’t like the cost of their product and when I called to negotiate my price they said it was a standard price due to “zone” I was living in and everyone was paying the same even though that was not true.

Precious H. DeSoto, TX

I use AllState for my home and vehicle needs. They have always been responsive and check on you to see if they can offer better rates, discounts, and coverages. I have filed two claims (one on the home and one on my vehicle). They were swift and knowledgeable. They made the process easy and comfortable.

Dan Woodland Park, CO

Allstate gave us a great rate for our vehicles and other insurance . The customer service has been great. They are always available and can answer all my questions or concerns and make good recommendations for all our insurance needs. Our agents have been great and quick to return calls and respond to my emails.

Sally Tetreault Largo, FL

Started off great with Allstate then each year the premiums would go up making them out of reach. I did have a claim and found out most things weren't covered by Allstate

jbucklin Cameron, LA

Provided the least bad homeowners quote. Agent was helpful in tailoring coverage and answered questions thoroughly.

Russell Vastine Aurora, CO

Looked into getting Allstate insurance since my parents use that company. Very helpful customer service explaining all the options.

Sedalia Girl Summerville, SC

Fair rates comparable to others. Wish they included earthquake ins within policy; had to obtain another policy to have this as in a zone for potential earthquakes.

James Moss Newton, IA

Allstate has always been very helpful when I had questions. I would still be with the local agent if I had not found a better deal elsewhere.

gricel valdez Yuma, AZ

All-State is an OK company. Ok pricing. Ok customer service. Ok just about everything. When I switched my policy to another company they said Ok. They never tried to keep me as a customer just sent me on my way with Ok! That's just it. Oh hum nothing out of the ordinary service. Just Ok!

Moses F. Chandler, AZ

Allstate has a Great selection of Insurance to fit everyones budget, & they stand by their commitment to their customers. Great Professionalism and customer service, & support provided by their staff. We Highly recommended Allstate for theircommitment to Quality. We have enjoyed our coverage with State Farm. And enjoyed a sense of good coverage & protection.

Austin Tempe, AZ

I have Allstate for auto insurance and they have always been great! I decided to switch my renter/homeowner policy from a tech company I was using. Simply due to an experience I had with a different tech company when my vehicle was totaled. This made us switch everything back to Allstate. The claims and service team at Allstate is outstanding when compared to other services I have utilized over the years.

Robert Rootes Bestselling Author Fredericksburg, VA

We switched homeowner insurance from the lizard to Allstate because the other company boasted a lot about their quality of service. But here's the thing, they didn't hold our homeowner insurance coverage...they contracted another company to hold the coverage. Yearly, when it came time to pay the premium, a premium that is set up through the escrow account with the mortgage, we would get nasty letters from the other company claiming they needed payment, when all along we were paying escrow to cover the cost of the yearly payment. I would have to call them every year and waste half my day waiting to talk to the right people. This happened for 3 years! It turned out whenever I called the lizard, waited for thirty to forty minutes, they told me I needed to call the other insurance holder. They couldn't even connect me because it's a different company altogether. When we had heavy rains and 18 thousand gallons of water filled our basement (I did the math when I hauled the water out) the insurance company denied our claim. We lost memories and money. We switched to Allstate because they actually hold the insurance policy and don't farm it out to other companies. The other companies are profiteers. When it came to speaking to one individual instead of a host of robots, this was the right choice for us.

Rachel Pletke Osseo, MN

Allstate has a very good reputation but there is a lack of efficient communication. I was very frustrated trying to work through a claim.

Sheila Stone Murphy, NC

Allstate was able to provide a policy that was more customized to my home value and coverage I wanted.

Walter Brawner Oak Park, IL

The time I was with this company was wonderful. I felt like I got my money's worth and was very pleased with the service

Sade b Oklahoma City, OK

I currently us Allstate and it is great! I can afford it and it keeps me coverd! i do recommend this company.

ramesh pothuru

best customer service, good monthly payment plan & easy to use on line portal and very good in claims process.

Lisa Anne Littleton, CO

I’ve been a customer at Allstate for many years and have never had an issue with the company. They’ve always been pretty prompt and fair.

Ann Mason Kingsport, TN

Rates and their use of OEM parts when repairs necessary.

Wendy Shaw Queens, NY

Even though it's one of the largest homeowners insurance companies in America it's got a touch of personal care. Customer service has an excellent knowledge of services. Local agents are easily accessible!!!! Very affordable for every budget!

Meagan Diemer Hopewell, VA

I have been an Allstate customer for +6 years. Initially assigned to a random agent and then linked with a wonder and very knowledgeable local one. Over all experience has been great over the years! Claims process was simple, payout amount was fair. Outside of that, communications have always been easy and well explained, and prices are great!

Debbie Schultz Murfreesboro, TN

We have been with Allstate for our home and auto insurance for 25+ years. We have been more than satisfied with Allstate and our agent. We had one auto claim about 12 years ago and it was handled with professionalism and a sense of urgency. Coverage and price are reasonable and fair. Our agent is always available when we call to update our insurance needs. We will continue to be customers of Allstate!

Cynthia Landing Forest City, IL

I’m an Allstate customer and I must admit I’m happy I choose them they have great savings on insurance along with incentives they give for safe drivers they also give referrals in a gift card form they’re there to explain the different areas of insurance and the importance of it they also have a variety of services they offer that meets ones every day needs. The customer service is outstanding their there for you making you feel your needs are important to them

Jim Ahmad Memphis, TN

Associate answering the call was courteous but didn’t offer any details for their plans or service.

Promise Mccall Monticello, NY

Allstate is a company that is new to me give me a better rate than companies that I’ve been with for years I recommend them to anyone looking for cheaper insurance with good coverage.

Janet Wood Birmingham, AL

I have been with Allstate for 10 years plus. My agent is great. Always answering my questions and also making suggestions on how to save money!! Who doesn't want to save money these days!

Alex Gohlke Troy, MI

Allstate has amazing coverages for all situations. kept my home and myself protected from all possible mishaps and acts of nature. customer service was easy to navigate and quick to assist in claims and any questions i had

Suzanna Wootton Springville, UT

I've had a positive experience with Allstate. I had to get a tree in my backyard trimmed back because there was a limb right above my roof and I appreciated that Allstate sent us a notice in the mail to let us know we needed to get it removed. However, I do wish they would've given us a little more time than they did, time to take care of the issue.