IKEA Logo

6.1

LAST UPDATED: March 19th, 2022
IKEA was established in 1951 and has created incredible relationships with hundreds of retailers internationally. Within the last year, IKEA has had 821 million people visit their 361 IKEA stores worldwide. IKEA offers a great variety of furnishings for every area you are looking for. IKEA stands by their concept of providing a range of home furnishing products that are “affordable to the many people, and not just the few”. They achieve this goal through uniting function, quality, design, value and sustainability.

Costco Home Logo
#1 Costco Home chevron_right
Target Logo
#2 Target chevron_right
Bed Bath And Beyond Logo
#4 Bed Bath And Beyond chevron_right

The Good

• Large selection
  • Quality customer service
  • Gives back to customers and communities
IKEA is an international business. As mentioned, they have 361 stores worldwide. This information tells us that IKEA has a large selection of product as well as the ability to distribute their furnishings to an array of locations. IKEA strives to help more people live a better life at home through creating realistic and affordable products. This store highly values its customers, employees, as well as the community. IKEA has set up foundations to help benefit people all around the world. They offer a variety of promotions and are continually encouraging people to create the best deal for their personal situations.

The Bad

• No free shipping
  • Product and service issues
IKEA does not have the option of free shipping. Depending on where the customer lives and what they ordered will determine the total shipping cost, but "free" is not an option. IKEA has had some complaints concerning delivery and collection issues in the past, such as not receiving products by their delivery date or not receiving products entirely. Other issues individuals have shown concern for include problems with the product or service they purchased. These vary depending on the item and are consistent with other major home furniture companies. Similar to delivery issues, problems are handled by their quality customer service department.

The Bottom Line

Overall, we recommend IKEA for your home furnishing needs. The hiccups or complaints this company has received have been minuscule compared to the amount of success they have attained. They have a large product selection and are focused on providing their customers with the best value, design, and sustainability.   This company is expanding every year and has thousands of employees working hard to create new ideas for your furniture needs as well as improving the transportation and delivery process of its customer's products.   IKEA is continually offering deals and promotions to buyers allowing their products to become even more affordable for the everyday home.

Morgan Farnsworth Lehi, UT

I really like how big it is and all the varieties of any house hold object you could ever want! when me and my mom went there to get ideas on how to redecorate my room it was super nice seeing the decorated displays and how it would actually look out with the rest of the things I wanted! all of there items are super dependable and my family has NEVER had a problem with them

Sandi Westover Fremont, CA

IKEA is a fun store to visit. You can spend a few hours there. The store is huge and there is lots to look at. Their furniture is not the best quality but it's very reasonable priced. The furniture has clean, simple lines. I have bought several bookcases there and am very happy with them. They sell so many things it's hard to know what to comment on. I really like all their kitchen accessories. Sponges, scrub brushes are a fantastic price and great quality. I also like the cafeteria. The food is good, reasonable priced and it makes it a fun outing to eat there. And after shopping stop at the snack bar on your way out for cinnamon rolls. They are a great price and delicious. IKEA is not a place you can run into quickly to pick up a few things. It's a big store and takes time to just walk through. And even if you intend to just get a couple things you'll find more to buy. IKEA is definitely worth a visit. But never buy something you may have to return. Returns are the worst. It takes forever to return something and you must have the receipt. They have very few people working in returns. You take a number when you get there - does that give you a hint of how bad it is. I've returned things twice and from now on I only buy what I'm sure to keep. Never again do I want to return something there.

Sambhav Jain Milpitas, CA

The thing i like most about Ikea is their collection and thought process in designing the furniture. But I am giving three start because of not so good return policy. I had to repair a carpet which i didn't use. It was kept in my house for around 3 months as Ikea is little far from the house where I stay. But the CC did not take it back saying there are stains on the back of carpet. They were not stains It was some dust which came on when I was loading the carpet on the Ikea flat trolley. I showed the CC that its just dust and can be cleaned by hands. But he did not listen. Another thing he told me that barcode is missing, When bill is there why do you need barcode? Also no where in the policy it is mentioned.

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

I love having an Ikea near me. They have so many items in their store, you could basically furnish your entire home without leaving Ikea. They have many styles and types of products, so almost anyone could come in and find something they like. I would absolutely suggest Ikea for people looking for furniture or home decor.

Jailene Torres Tallahassee, FL

Ever since they built the IKEA in my city, it’s been a habit of mine to visit even if I don’t necessarily “need” anything. Just walking through each room, taking inspiration for my own home decor. You never know what you’ll find.

Paige McDanel Lehi, UT

I love IKEA! I purchased my entire bedroom set there, and it has held together well throughout the years. I love the variety of options and themes, especially in children's rooms. The instructions decrease the stress of assembling furniture exponentially. Ikea is my go-to anytime I need a new table or chair.

Sarah Osguthorpe Lehi, UT

I bought my favorite desk from Ikea and I use it everyday! It's super solid and I love the design and color. It was also super easy to put together. I went to IKEA with my friends just to look around once and it was so fun not even buying things. Love this swedish store.

Heather Lee Buena Vista, VA

Visiting IKEA is an adventure. It's fun to walk through the store seeing all their products. There are some really smart designers! I especially like the sample rooms. I bought a table, cheese grater, bowls, and toys at IKEA and they have all been serving us well for years.

Jaelyn Morris Havana, FL

I love shopping in person and online at Ikea. I have gotten furniture and duvet covers from Ikea and both were good quality. When I'm shopping in person at Ikea I enjoy the food court and seeing all the merchandise they have to choose from. If you need something for inside or outside of your home, chances are Ikea has it.

Claudine Doyle CA

I love IKEA and their affordable selection of housewares. They have fantastic ideas for small spaces and great quality yet inexpensive options. A great go to when stocking a new home and sending my kids off to college. The only thing is make sure you have on your good walking shoes because there is no quick way in and out. You’re in there for the long haul and there is no cell service. Great products!!

Wendy Smullin Logan, UT

We love IKEA! The quality of the furniture is excellent. We have purchased a bed, end tables, and lamps from IKEA and love every piece. Assembly was super easy and the result is a beautiful, stable piece of furniture. The simplicity of the style is easily assimilated into every room of our home. The lamps provide unique and beautiful lighting in the rooms. The furniture is quite durable as it has survived 2 moves, coming out just as sturdy.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Ikea is such an excellent retailer that it doesn't have similar competitors. Their furniture is high quality, and the "put it together yourself" concept saves money. Their retail locations are easy to navigate as all items are very clearly marked. And every single visit is met with very helpful store associates. Great value for the shopping dollar at Ikea.

Luke Gibson Provo, UT

Fantastic company, always a great experience shopping for their furniture. The quality of the furniture varies, some of it isn't the most durable but this is reflected by an extremely low price. However, their nicer furniture is fantastic and very durable. I appreciate the minimalist aesthetic compared to a lot of other gaudy or decorative furniture styles and it's always very easy to put together.

Rebecca Richardson Pleasant Grove, UT

I've shopped at Ikea when I was a poor college student, and I continue to shop at Ikea as a recent home owner. Ikea is the only furniture store around that has modern furniture that can hit every price point. I love the Scandinavian/International design and I always hit up the gummy wall while I'm there :) Buying goods for my new home is not painful or scary with Ikea because I feel like I'm getting what I like for a reasonable price. I love how many options there are and I know that if I'm looking for something, Ikea has it.

Jasmine B Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love IKEA! Their stores are always set up in such a stylish way and their furniture is always great for the price! I have many IKEA items at my college dorm, including a nice decorative, functional piece to hang pictures and papers on and a nice 3-piece organizational cabinet that holds my laundry, kitchen, and hair supplies. I also have a cute little desk organizer, some kitchen supplies, and these nice string lights that light up my room. I could spend hours at IKEA just looking at all their items. They have everything you could ever need! I also got a very nice smelling candle there that I use all the time. IKEA also has pretty good cinnamon rolls so after you’re done shopping you can get one for only a dollar! I always have fun at IKEA!

Natalie Prestwich Taylorsville, UT

IKEA has everything you need for your home! I have gotten a few furniture pieces from there that I love. I’ve heard they take a beating if you move with them, but we are still in our first home so they look great and we love them! Some of my favorite things I have gotten from IKEA are the children’s plates, bowls and cups. They are durable and colorful, which my kids love. Another great find is their art supplies. I would have never thought to get stuff like that at IKEA but they have a lot and it’s very affordable! They also have a place you can let your kids play while you shop. I personally haven’t done this yet because one of my kids is too little still and the other wants to go around the store with us because she loves looking at all the displays.

Kaylee Lapinskie Foley, AL

I loved all of the different options for my first college apartment. Especially at such a great price. I wish it was easier to ship to my current location but other than that the furniture is durable and easy to use!

Meagan Carter Lehi, UT

Ikea is the place to go if you need anything and anything at all. The have such nice furniture, bedroom supplies, bathroom supplies and so much more. I love Ikea because it always has what you need.

Sadie Scoville Lehi, UT

IKEA has so many options for furniture. I can confidently walk in there and know that I will find what I need. Customer service is great and I can rely on them to help me match my furniture.

Delaney Payton Havana, FL

Very large stores with good quality products, anything you would need when furnishing a new home. The staff are always very helpful and the stores are kept very organized and clean.

Lyssa Havana, FL

When I moved to Texas for graduate school, I got all of my furniture from IKEA! Everything was super good quality and affordable! The directions for set up are detailed and easy to follow as well!

Makayla Holland Gaithersburg, MD

I like IKEA because there product is very strong and stable, it also last long. In person they have section of different thing to choose from. The quality is amazing, there prices aren’t bad. None of the products are ever broken. I recommend

Leonard Leo Potomac, MD

Not just build it yourself furniture. Scandinavian designed furniture from Ikea offers a contemporary and casual atmosphere at reasonable prices. No pressure sales and warehouse shopping is great for self-service buyers. Although it can't be avoided, pressed board or particle board components are heavy and are not durable, as opposed to solid wood. I opt for the real wood in any of their products.

Stephanie Byrd Tallahassee, FL

I absolutely love IKEA. One of life’s essentials is shelter and I’m a firm believer of having nice decor in your living establishment. IKEA offers a wide range of decor for your home. I have been able to rely on IKEA for years as I transitioned from a dorm to my very own apartment. Their decor and furniture quality and prices are unmatched.

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Ikea is a great home and furniture store where you can find anything and everything related to furniture. They have a wide variety of styles and colors. The store is fairly large but it is separated by sections. The only thing is sometimes the instructions can be a bit confusing when building the furniture. All furniture must be built on your own so you do have to be pretty hands on with setting it up.

Emily Crawfordville, FL

I bought 2 free standing white bookshelves that were only 6 dollars each for a makeshift bookshelf and they have held up my books for years. Unbelievable how great the quality is of the shelves, everyone in my family doubted they would stay up. Ikea is the place to shop for affordable and functional furniture.

Michelle Rios Salt Lake City, UT

We enjoy shopping at Ikea as a family. The kids love the way that the store is divided into different areas of the house and the HUGE variety of chairs, sofas, desks, tables, shelves, stools, beds... Basically EVERY SINGLE thing that you need for your home. The staff is friendly and the stores are clean. What more could we ask for? Not a thing.

Lindsey Newman American Fork, UT

I think IKEA is so awesome mainly because they have a kids play area where you can leave your kids!! Suddenly it becomes a positive experience for both mom and kids! My kids hate coming with me to the store now and I don’t love taking them either, but IKEA makes it fun for everyone. I do with the layout of IKEA was A bit less maze like and more organized by category of item than style or rooms

Kimmi Riverton, UT

Most of the organizing items in my home come from Ikea. Their products are reasonably priced. I have bookcases, desks and toy organizers now for 5 years and they are still going strong. When I have time I browse the store. When I am short on time I bypass the displays and go straight for the marketplace. I do not enjoy spending more time standing in the checkout lines then I do at other stores. It is always the slowest process of my visit.

Anna Las Vegas, NV

Recently I bought bedroom set from Bremnies collection and I am in love with it! It's very smart solution for my bedroom, storage spaces are perfect and quality of furniture is high. I read about their Ikea Family membership and I will definitely join it.

Ashley G Galura South Jordan, UT

They offer unique, diverse, and relevant products at really great prices. The distinctive Ikea style of manufacturing has come to be a staple in my home and the homes of many of my friends and family because their products fit our needs as customers: to feel thrifty, practical, as well as stylish. The store is notorious for its maze-like lay-out, but the atmosphere they try to create is tied to the experience they want you to have with their products. I would argue that a trip to Ikea is generally well worth your time.

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

This store can do no wrong. There prices are phenomenal. There stuff is always pretty. I love that they have everything for your home from baby stuff to kitchen stuff. Putting it together can be tough but with a little patience anyone can do it (except my husband).

L. South Jordan, UT

We have purchased several items from IKEA and have been happy with the quality of products and the service. We have had a few issues with poor set up and installation of cabinets, but most of the issues were resolved and the management at IKEA provided good customer service.

Nichole Davidson Sandy, UT

IKEA is a fun place to explore if you've never been before. The store is setup so you have to walk the entire thing - there is a walkway that leads you through so you don't get lost. They do have shortcuts but it can still take you a bit to get to the section you want to go and it's easy to get turned around if you're not familiar with it. They have a large variety of products for a great price, but they won't last long and you have to assemble everything. IKEA is a Swedish company and the styles are simple and made for smaller homes or apartments - very European, which can be nice because you won't find similar products elsewhere. Ideal for college students or when you need something quick and cheap. Just know the majority of their products won't last long at all.

Vanessa Call Lehi, UT

Inexpensive, durable furniture that is up to date and always a great selection. I especially love wandering around IKEA and seeing the many ways I can use a single item - their displays and set up really promote purchasing the products.

Emily Norton Tucson, AZ

I could spend hours in IKEA. They have everything you could need for your house and they set it up so you can see how it looks in real life. It’s nice that you get to get all the pieces yourself that way you really only get what you want. I’ve gotten furniture that I didn’t need all the shelves so I just skipped on them and saved some money! Always quality.

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

IKEA has to be one of the most unique home and furniture stores out there! It is so awesome to walk into this gigantic stores and just follow the path and see many displays of what your room kitchen or office could look like. IKEA has many unique items that aren’t in typical stores. Only drawback is the lack of locations. I am only able to visit IKEA on trips. Pricing is cheaper because everything comes unassembled. So if you are not willing to put everything together then please look elsewhere.

take7 Sandy, UT

Their furniture pieces does the job when you need it at the right price for the right time. Yes, some of them dont last and quality can be questionable but its always worked for me when I needed it. Their larger shelves I've had for a long time with good wear. The display makes it functional and gives you great ideas on how to use their pieces. Functional and easy to have and beat up. Sometimes hard to set up but it works.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I love shopping at ikea. I have bought so many things there. It’s very affordable and if you don’t mind putting things together, it’s totally worth the price. I usually enjoy putting things together, I like the challenge. There have been times I have been extremely frustrated and ready to toss out my purchase, but for the most part I have loved my purchases and will continue shopping at ikea.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

Iconic. They have great, simple, easy-to-put-together, good-looking furniture. Going there is a treat, too. It's like an experience with how big it is! I like getting a feel for different living spaces and imagining ideal setups for your room, etc. Also, they have some of the most random stuff too that are great and totally buyable (e.g. stuffed animals, decent meatballs, legit chocolate)! Love Ikea.

Myra Howes Provo, UT

I have always loved IKEA. I think that your furniture is trustworthy and stylish. I like the feel of the store. While it's certainly a maze, I appreciate that walking through can remind you of other items you might need, but had just forgotten about. I like that you offer so many options in one place. If I need a chair, there are so many that I can try out and look at right there. I love the information you even give about how much weight they can hold!

BeauCarl South Jordan, UT

IKEA is the low-cost option for your furniture you can decorate nicely an entire apartment or child’s room on a budget however these products rarely last more than a few years. IKEA has done an awesome job of branding modern furniture on a budget. Also their instructions are very minimal and zero customer service for installation of basic furniture.

ave Pleasant Grove, UT

IKEA is a massively huge store with so much to choose from, you can almost spend a full day just shopping there. That is why they have a cafeteria on site so you can take a break and eat, then get right back to it. I love that the prices are cheaper than other places because you have to put almost everything together yourself with very simple instructions.

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

IKEA is a practical economic solution to many of our home furniture needs. The downside to most of the furniture is that you have to put it together yourself. It is really great quality and I have loved my kitchen stools probably the best! Once you get the hang of it in figuring out how to assemble them, it goes fairly quickly. We like the option of paying less and doing the labor ourselves. It has saved us quite a bit of money in the end.

Jaylene Holcomb, NY

IKEA as a whole is more than just shopping for furniture, it’s an experience for the whole family. With the beautiful/interactive furniture displays and the delicious food court, I am able to take my children shopping with me for hours without them getting bored. In addition to this, the workers at IKEA are extremely helpful in finding me exactly what I need. The wide variety of furniture options (color, size, style) makes it easy for everyone to find something that suits their style. My one complaint is that, because of the quality of the store, it can often get crowded with people. But, that just goes to show how well-loved IKEA is!! Online shopping with IKEA can solve that problem. It’s easy to find the same products online, and they can ship them right to your door!

Julie Kincaid Soldotna, AK

I have been shopping at Ikea since they first opened in the US. I like their store and products so much that when I needed furniture for my new home in Alaska, I flew down to Seattle and bought furniture from them, then arranged to have it shipped home. I love that most of their couches are slipcovered (#6kids) and I love that their furniture like dressers can be shipped cheaply to Alaska because it is flatpacked. I do visit Ikea at least twice a year while traveling, and often find small things to bring home in my suitcase. I wish we had one in Alaska!

Andrea Smith Idaho Falls, ID

I am a recent Ikea customer and I ordered a high chair. It came in two separate shipments over two different days. I originally thought I was missing half of the chair, but their online customer service was very helpful and offered to send another chair immediately. The chair is very sturdy and easy to clean, easy to put together, and very inexpensive. I would buy it again and recommend it.

Jennifer Orlando, FL

IKEA is always a great value. I recently moved and needed many things for my new place. I love that I can put everything in my car! The storage bins are the best!!

Shon Scoville Lehi, UT

I really appreciate the variety of furniture products that IKEA offers. And I get to see it in display which really helps. I don't like the lower quality of some products and that I have to put it all together.

Estelle Stevens Lehi, UT

I like IKEA it is a nice outing and I have many of there items all around my house. It is more of a big trip I have to make sure I have a good amount of time to spend there but I love the quality of my purchases.