Humana

6.4

a month ago

Humana

Time in Business: 1961

Headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, Humana was founded in 1961. One of the bigger names in health insurance, the company was actually bought out in June 2015 by an even bigger name that has company roots in the 1850s, Aetna. In many ways, this merge will make two strong companies even stronger, serving a combined membership of 4.4 million.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

Humana has a wide selection of health plans to choose from, including Medicare, Medicaid, PPOs, HMOs, and EPOs. They also offer some Points of Service plans (POS), FSAs, and HAS options if you have a High-Deductible Health Plan. In addition, there are life and supplemental coverage options that include accident insurance, extended hospitalization coverage, and critical illness insurance. Humana also offers short-term disability insurance.

They do offer dental and vision coverage, and benefits for these plans depend on the health plan. Dental coverage can actually come in two forms-as just a discount plan or as an insurance plan. You can save on checkups, treatments like fillings and root canals, and, even more, pricey procedures like orthodontia. With some of these plans, you can choose any dentist you want, but other plans require you to see an in-network dentist. Vision insurance includes an annual eye exam with a small copay, as well as coverage for glasses or contacts. Members have potential discounts on Lasik and other eyewear as well, some of which are found through EyeMed and FramesDirect.com.

Member Resources

At Humana, members can access a large collection of resources. There's every tool from comparing providers, to tracking claims, to making online payments and downloading necessary forms. Humana makes it easy to check a claim status, view member rights, and responsibilities, and find in-network physicians as well. Member discounts are available through TruHearing, EyeMed, HearUSA, and Beltone, to name just a few. These are primarily vision and hearing discounts, but there are rewards programs as well, which offer discounts on healthy foods and points for a healthy living. Members can save on massage therapy and similar treatments as well. Humana's member resources also extend into educational tools. Their learning center has articles about healthy living, explanations of health insurance, and information about managing a chronic illness, planning your finances, and improving nutrition or family relationships. There are also explanations about the Affordable Care Act, which has, of course, had a huge impact on the workings of health insurance today. In short, with Humana, members stay informed and are encouraged to be healthy and up-to-date on all their records.

Unique Features

Humana stands out among competitors for several features. One of these is the mobile apps the company has set up for members. There are actually four apps, each with a different purpose. MyHumana is for members to access and manage their health plan accounts, MyHealth is an app that helps you set and keep track of healthy goals, HumanaPharmacy is a way to keep track of your prescriptions, and HumanaVitality allows you to keep track of the rewards you've racked up through the company's health rewards program. All of these can be accomplished right on your phone! Humana has a Medicare health rewards program as well. The SilverSneakers Fitness Program includes access to an on-call nurse and assistance for Medicare members to quit smoking or to set other healthy goals. But Medicare members aren't the only ones with access to a nurse. HumanaFirst is the company's 24/7 registered nurse that provides assistance to customers whenever a medical question pops up. Humana makes shopping for health plans very easy. You can search benefits by state and use their tool to find a doctor, pharmacy, hospital, dentist, or optician as well. These are just a few of the many tools they provide for making members' lives easier. HumanaVitality is the company's main rewards program for other members (not exclusively Medicare members, like SilverSneakers, is). Through it, you can get perks like fitness trackers and discounts on designated health foods at WalMart.

Humana makes contacting customer service very easy. Their company website is, first and foremost, a great tool for shopping for health plans, getting information about how this industry works and managing an account as a member. But there are also several phone numbers (some 24/7, some not) for you to call, as well as options to email, fax, mail, and even tweet Humana for further questions! There are phone numbers dedicated to various member services as well. Humana allows members to track claims and do anything else with their account 24/7, all through the MyHumana mobile app. The company relies heavily on member accounts for 24/7 access, as some phone numbers aren't necessarily available at all hours. For both members and potential customers, Humana offers transparency, ease of access, intuitive tools, and widely available customer help. This speaks well of the company's efforts to make every customer's experience positive.

The Bad

• States Serviced
  • Temporary Coverage

States Serviced

Humana health plans are available in a lot of US states but not all of them. States that do qualify include Nevada, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina. If you don't live in one of these states, then Humana is not an option for you.

Temporary Coverage

Humana doesn't mention having short-term insurance beyond short-term disability insurance. If that's the plan you're looking for, then this company will not be the best option.

The Bottom Line

Humana is a highly recommended insurance company. Despite their few limitations, the pros outweigh the cons with this business, and they have a great reputation and company history. If you don't live in one of the states covered by Humana, then obviously this company is not a resource for you. But as long as you live in their service area, then Humana has tons of member resources and discounts, health rewards, excellent customer service tools, and perks like mobile apps to continually add convenience and speed to managing your health plan. Furthermore, Humana is now backed by a company that also has a great reputation and lots of health plan options, Aetna.

3.9

Rashida Laumatia
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

My parents love Humana. Theyre very helpful and curteous. They’re not after people’s money and the time to reach a live person is fast. Cost is very affordable.

NT
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

i help my elderly retired father with his insurance and Humana in my opinion over charges the elderly. he is on a fixed income monthly and he pays $139/monthly just for him. His prescription copay for his Diabetes medication is $35/month for each. His copay to see his speciality physicians are $45 and normal office visit is $35. My father has to see his specialists but with all the cost and fixed income he doesn't want to go sometimes because the costs $$ is overwhelming.

Lesa Burgess
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Humana was kind of disappointing. I don't feel like Human has quite as good coverage as some other companies for what I was paying. I also don't feel like there were as many doctors who accepted Humana insurance, especially out of state while we were traveling.

Kris
August 23rd, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

While living in Kentucky we had Humana Insurance and loved working with them. Great customer service and benefits!

C Small
August 13th, 2018 Friendswood, TX DETAILS

Every time I get a new prescription, Humana always has to ask the doctor questions which prolongs the filling of the medicine. Last time this happen I called them and they said they wanted to question the doctor if this medicine was right for the illness. So rediculas they want to play doctor remotely without seeing a patient. I ended up buying the prescription outright for $13.00!!! Worst insurance I’ve ever had in my life and do not recommend nor did I want to give them the 1 star but this survey required it.

Sandra Jensen
July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

This is my prescription drug plan and I have been mostly satisfied.

Judy L Newell
July 23rd, 2018 Alexandria, OH DETAILS

Excellent, they have treated me with respect and supportivly.

Pat
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Pretty happy with what I get. Wish coverage for estradial was a lot better, though.

Alicia Carlile
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I have Humana Medicare Advantage and I absolutely love it. No copays for anything.

CYNTHIA LEWIS
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer Service is need work. I have been searching for doctors in my Area and had to call them after sending me a sheet and them resending sheets instead of helping me. They do not let you know what services they offer or send you a booklet, I received my update card later in the year 2018 and I had to call for the card after being told I would get the card in January of 2018. You never feel like the service is smiling. I've had only 3 CS agents treat me professionally and was willing to help.

alex soto
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Very hard to afford medications . Trying to sell me things I don't need only choice I have in my area

Constance Bruce Burnsville, NC
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

I really like them. Have been with them 12 years and intend to sign up with them next year. I love their Rx plan. I can sit down & order the Rx's we need online in short time. It normally arrives in 3-7 days. They also have various items you can 'purchase' from their online store. The first $30 worth is free every 3 months. I have called & talked with their support team a few times & always have a good experience.

Leonard Matlaw NA
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Large network of providers, good claims service, excellent prescription plan.

Gloria Hooper
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Great responses and wonderful client care

Jimmy
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Satisfied with coverage, service is terrible. Delayed needed Px until I ran out, current medical claim still pending since March 16th, 2018

William
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Excellent experience and company. Pays the bills. Easy to use. Not expensive.

Amber Sarmiento
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Because of their customer service and the way they take a personal interest .

Carl J Lundstrom
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

they do what they say they will do, and do it right the first time

Walter
July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Very positive experience. Really enjoy the extra benefits such as meals provided when you've been hospitalized. One improvement that could be improved upon is notice of authorization approvals. Example: 10 minute visits have been approved. If you have questions, consult your doctor. I have several doctors and have no idea what the approval is for nor who may have made the request. It just seems reasonable for Humana to say what service has been approved.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I got a great price with Humana and it was actually good coverage. Was very impressed with them.

James
December 7th, 2017 Round Rock, TX DETAILS

My 2 year old daughter has cerebral palsy and needs 5 therapies a week. My policy says Humana will cover 60 therapies per year and will evaluate covering additional therapies based on medical necessity after the initial coverage is exhausted. It is December 6th and, for a myriad of excuses, Humana has not yet covered 60 therapies (we have submitted 160+), and in the meantime, I have had to pay out of pocket for the others while they go through their "process." They post claims and EOBs on myhumana.com that show they have paid for most of these therapies, but the provider says Humana immediately recalls the money. Humana's customer service confirms that they have recalled the payments, but are unable to give a reason. The customer service supervisors always tell me they will either look into it further or send my case for expedited review. Every supervisory has ended the call by promising to call me back (many promising to the next business day), but I never hear from them again and have to call in again and start the whole process over. I finally got the number for Humana's corporate office (1-800-486-2620) but the switch board operator refused to transfer me to anyone saying that the call center supervisors were the only people I could talk to. At this point, I have paid the max out of pocket for my policy 2.5 times and still have no indication that they will start covering my daughter's needs.

Denise
November 1st, 2017 Austin, TX DETAILS

My husband and I had a grandfathered Humana PPO for many years until they dropped out of the individual market in Texas mid-2017. We were very sad to lose them and now we are forced into an exorbitantly priced Obamacare HMO as there are no longer any PPOs offered here in the individual market. Humana always took great care of us. We never had a single problem with a claim or with any provider saying they don't accept their card. We could go in network or out of network (more expensive, but still allowed). If you can still get Humana where you are, I would definitely recommend it!

Sav Flo
June 12th, 2017

I have been pleased with the health plan Humana has provided me. I've never had any problems with any physician that I have seen; they have been willing to answer my questions and have had great bedside manner.

Denise H.
June 8th, 2017 Mona, UT

I have been happy with our coverage with Humana for the most part. However, we have had some frustrations with their customer service at times.