Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Cigna Logo

Cigna

verified
$100 Guarantee
Cigna provides a variety of health insurance plans nationwide

Though its origins go back 200 years, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies came together. Since then, the company has grown worldwide, serving 86 million customers in 30 countries! With a base of 37,000 employees, Cigna was ranked 97th on Fortune 500’s 2014 list. It offers a wide selection of health plans and several unique qualities to health insurance.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First off, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. This opens your health plans up to a wider network and potentially more coverage. For health plans in general, Cigna offers a wide selection, including:

• Medicare and Medicaid
  • HSAs
  • HRAs
  • HMOs
  • PPOs

They even provide indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance). Cigna's plans include dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventative, restorative, and major dental work:

• Cigna Dental Preventive: This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna covers 100% of preventative and restorative work.
  • Cigna Dental 1000: With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for your dental expenses!
  • Cigna Dental 1500: Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for your work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network doctor, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member. The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member. You can also get an insurance quote for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this). Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws surrounding this industry.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than its own company. It also functions as the parent company for the following insurance subsidiaries:

• Cigna Group Insurance (which deals primarily with insurance for disability, life, and accidents)
  • Cigna Around the World (life insurance, accident insurance, and supplemental insurance)
  • Cigna HealthCare (mostly insurance for medical, dental, and pharmacy)
  • Cigna HealthSpring (mostly a Medicare company)

Aside from these, Cigna owns Cigna Voluntary, Choicelinx, and Union & Government-all companies that focus on various aspects of the customer experience with insurance. Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Healthy Rewards program-which, as you can guess, provides rewards for members who want to make healthier decisions in life. These products range from a Lasik procedure to natural supplements, to alternative medicine, to possibly more conventional changes like a membership at a gym.

Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures.

Finally, Cigna offers not just one but two mobile apps. With myCigna, the first, you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find a doctor, and perform other member tasks. The second app, Cigna Envoy, allows you specifically to get an ID card, check a claim, or contact Cigna with personal health questions.

With 86 million customers around the globe, customer service should be important to this company. And it is. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, email, phone, or live chat. Their mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall.

Admittedly, however, it's difficult to find the live chat feature on the website. Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but they would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers.

Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

The Bad

Short-Term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Cigna is a recommended company to get health insurance through. They have a great company history, several different types of plans to choose from, and connections to a very large network. While they would do well to provide more clear information about their contact points and types of insurance they don't offer, they have still done well to provide both customers and nonmembers with resources to be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location and health situation. But they have search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

2.4

Cori Jacobsen Ollerton
December 10th, 2018 Alpine, UT DETAILS

We worked with Cigna for years. Recently we changed to another company and have missed the prices and costumer service that Cigna offered.

Rischelle Mikkelson
December 10th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

I really like Cigna. Their customer service reps are easy to work with on claims, and have a low denial rate. I like that all the doctors me and my family see are part of their network.

Sydni Robinson
December 6th, 2018 Alexandria, VA DETAILS

The Copays are on the higher side but there are a ton of options for specialists and general practitioners all over the DMV and ever major pharmacy takes them the App is also super useful and easy to use when it comes to helping you find a new doctor.

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS

I have only used the Amwell feature. I was sick and couldnt drive to a doctor. The remote appointment was awesome. I could describe my symptoms, talk to a real doctor via video chat and get a prescription. it wasn't cheap, but was WELL worth it. I will definitely use it again ( hopefully, I won't have to anytime soon)

Kaitlyn George
December 6th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

Their website is easy and intuitive to find the information you're looking for. EOBs are generated and available within a few days of your visit and notified electronically versus receiving in the mail.

edward reese
December 6th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD DETAILS

My experience with Cigna has been great. Great coverage, straight forward plans and customer service when i've had to call has been easy to deal with

Harold L Glade
December 5th, 2018 American Fork, UT DETAILS

Like many other insurance companies, I found they were focused on cost rather than care.

shinta
December 3rd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Having Cigna insurance helps ensure that my family and I can obtain health care, without having to worry about the money.

Katie Kearney
November 29th, 2018 Vienna, VA DETAILS

My company currently uses Cigna and I am pleasantly surprised how much I like them. I haven't had any concerns yet and have not needed to talk to customer service so I hope it stays that way! I'm bringing my husband over to my insurance plan in Jan 2019!

Katie Howard
November 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We used Cigna for a while and liked it quite well. It wasn't our choice, but rather what our employer offered, but we felt like it offered good coverage for a reasonable premium. It only worked with a certain hospital network, though, which meant we couldn't go to the hospital nearest us for urgent care. Most local doctors accepted it.

Lindsay Fritts
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I had cigna growing up and loved them. Was able to go to specialty doctors that I chose and loved. Had a low copay, if any, at most places. Didn't have to get referrals.

Bob Hiatt
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Very expensive medical plan. Good coverage but not much better than other programs.

Angela Nelson
October 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have Cigna dental insurance. So far it has worked OK for us, but we haven't had anything other than routine cleanings and 1 small filling. My dentist office says Cigna is slightly below average when compared to other insurance companies for dental insurance. I feel that they are about average.

Melanie Curtis
October 30th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

First time having them as our insurance. So far they have been easy to work with. I was happy to see my doctors in the network and I have only had to my co-payment for my visits. I did have to pay some for labs but it was a small amount for which I was grateful!

Irene Anders
October 29th, 2018 Folsom, CA DETAILS

I love Cigna. They are very responsive and communicative, both online, prescriptions, and through phone calls from us to them. They have lots of choices of doctors in network wherever we have lived.

Dylan Curtis
October 26th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have this health insurance through my current employer. So far it's been pretty good. We've only had to use it for going in for annual women's exams and labs, but it's been good.

Maggie
October 25th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Great insurance! We have so many options for doctors and services. I really like their website as well

Tracy R.
October 22nd, 2018 Winston-Salem, NC DETAILS

The claims processors keep putting one of our doctors as out of network even though they are in network! Takes way too long to correct these problems. I'm on MyCigna daily to see if they actually processed a claim correct or not. Majority of the time they screw up the claims. Some customer service reps are rude and don't really care. Other are helpful but can't fix Cigna's errors and they have to send it -back to get reprocessed again which will take 7-10 days and up to 21 days. To get a refund from them is ridiculous and they try everything to keep your money. When they overpay you, they want it back NOW!!! We have a case manager, left emails and phone calls and have not heard back from her. Not surprised.

Steve schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

My experience has been good. They have a good online claims review site. They process claims timely.

Marci Schramm
October 15th, 2018 Salem, UT DETAILS

We have Cigna insurance through Mountain View hospital in Payson. It is very good. All caregivers I have wanted to go to accept Cigna. It is a very good and dependable insurance.

Jonathan D. Kershaw
October 8th, 2018 Gainesville, FL DETAILS

DON'T sign up for Cigna Dental Insurance. I'm just now receiving multiple bills from dentist offices who thought Cigna was going to cover a certain amount on procedures I had done a year ago and now I'm on the hook for over $600. One of them almost went to collections because I moved and so much time had passed that my mail forwarding had expired so I wasn't receiving statements in the mail. Cigna reached out to me once and when I explained the situation it's basically been radio silence. So if your dentist office recommends Cigna Insurance, tell them no thank you and maybe warn them that they may end up trying to collect for months as mine did.

JJ
October 8th, 2018 Littleton, CO DETAILS

Terrible customer service and a back office that is fraught with errors. They cant do basic things like update addresses and they provide conflicting info when you call.

William
September 27th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I was not happy with their customer service at all. They also did not have the right insurance for me.

Angela Newton
September 25th, 2018 Canton, OH DETAILS

I have spent more time trying to get them to issue my refund check then it is even worth. They are suppose to send a check for $312.38!! That's it....not a big number. They keep reprocessing the codes and randomly come up with different amounts. It has been over the year since the service and everytime I call "well, that's not right. I will have them send it back to claims to reprocess" EVERYTIME! I just sat on hold for 45 minutes to hang up and come to the conclusion I have spend more than $312 on the phone waiting while I could be doing other, more productive things. Such as writing a review saying if you have a choice DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON CIGNA! Makes me wonder how many other claims they are " incorrectly processing to save money.

KarenL
September 21st, 2018 Germantown, TN DETAILS

The worst health insurance. They deny most procedures doctors apply for. They used cheap labs to process your blood samples which takes a long time for you to get the result. They spend lots of money, customers' money, on TV ads, trying to attract innocent customers. They collect customers' money and deny their benefits.

McKenzie Sheldon
September 13th, 2018 Palmyra, NJ DETAILS

Cigna has been the worst for claims. I submitted medical expenses to get reimbursed three months ago and still have not received anything. I used to have Horizon Blue Cross and they would take a maximum of two weeks to let me know that I would see the funds in my account within the next 5 business days. Meanwhile everytime I call Cigna for an update, not only is it a headache to talk to the representatives, but it seems like nothing has even been started with my claims and they continuously tell me to wait another week. I cannot wait to switch health care companies. Even if I have to pay more, I will at least know I will get better service.

Spencer Schuenman
August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We recently got Cigna and switched from another carrier and they have been great. I have spoken with them multiple times and they have been very helpful in sorting out networks and services.

L Fowler
August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We had Cigna for our health insurance a few years ago with our business and they were good to work with. We were able to find doctor's in network that accepted our insurance so that we did not have to pay a fortune for a doctor or other services. The office copay was reasonable as well.

Rashida Laumatia
August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Had Cigna for a little while and loved it. Until it was hard to get a live person on the phone. Once a person was on the other line, the agent was very rude as if I was burdening her. Would hate to see a good company get a bad name for something that could be a simple fix.

Tilda
August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Won’t cover the only emergency hospital in our town.

Christopher
August 13th, 2018 Richmond, VA DETAILS

Terrible insurance.A total acam.Anthem pulled out of our atea.Their home office is here in Richmond Va and they don’t even offer polocies here.Health insurance in america is a scam

Jenny A. Tibbetts
August 9th, 2018 Tooele, UT DETAILS

Cigna just denied me to have a lifesaving medical procedure that helped my cousin (who has the same GI genetic condition that I have). I'm getting sicker every day, what a nightmare! Through it all I've managed to graduate from college (this month) but will not be able to even hold down a job now because this procedure was denied. I'm hiring a lawyer and looking into all legal option!

Susan
August 8th, 2018 Montross, VA DETAILS

We have had Cigna for a decade. Out of pocket has doubled and the process to get out of network provider costs covered has become cumbersome. They have outsourced customer service for some customers. This was particularly evident when my husband's company dropped Cigna due to a rate hike and our account was handled very poorly in the last 30 days of our coverage. The pharmacy even sent out an expensive prescription and charged my credit card after we were no longer customers were no longer customers.

Jimmy Picha
August 6th, 2018 Houston, TX DETAILS

This is the worst insurance there is my plan covered annual physical at 100% but of course Cigna didn't pay I did call them and they made the appointment and said it would be paid at 100% I told the Doctor all I wanted was annual physical nothing else Cigna sends a bill they will not pay they are not in network. Every time I use them they have a excuse not to pay this is crap insurance please save your money get another Insurance Company.

Shelly Lomu
July 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been really happy with our health insurance. I’ve had a few questions about providers and found the website easy to navigate.

Mike Affleck
July 23rd, 2018 Cedar Park, TX DETAILS

They are outstanding in large group carrier with great customer service

Dory
July 23rd, 2018 Springville, UT DETAILS

When my daughter was born Cigna negotiated a few prices but covered nothing. Then when my husband went to get a filling through their dental coverage we were told they only cover fillings in the front teeth. Who needs fillings in the front teeth! So we asked for the bigger plan that covers fillings, they said we would be good to go come June. So in June we finished a root canal for my husband and guess what, we get a bill for 400$ so i called Cigna, apparently our new plan is not effective until next year! However, we are paying the premium for it now! Do yourself a favor and don't let Cigna steal your money.

Helen Brown
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They set a limit on how much needed medication they will pay for a patient in a month. Their rules are rigid, even with a doctor sending them a letter, explaining a covered procedure.

K Mason
July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Slow service; as their rates are very high.

Spencer Hodgson
July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They provided good service for me and good health coverage.