Cigna

4.1

Though its origins go back 200 years, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies came together. Since then, the company has grown worldwide, serving 86 million customers in 30 countries! With a base of 37,000 employees, Cigna was ranked 97th on Fortune 500’s 2014 list. It offers a wide selection of health plans and several unique qualities to health insurance.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First off, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. This opens your health plans up to a wider network and potentially more coverage. For health plans in general, Cigna offers a wide selection, including:

• Medicare and Medicaid
  • HSAs
  • HRAs
  • HMOs
  • PPOs

They even provide indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance). Cigna's plans include dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventative, restorative, and major dental work:

• Cigna Dental Preventive: This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna covers 100% of preventative and restorative work.
  • Cigna Dental 1000: With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for your dental expenses!
  • Cigna Dental 1500: Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for your work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network doctor, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member. The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member. You can also get an insurance quote for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this). Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws surrounding this industry.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than its own company. It also functions as the parent company for the following insurance subsidiaries:

• Cigna Group Insurance (which deals primarily with insurance for disability, life, and accidents)
  • Cigna Around the World (life insurance, accident insurance, and supplemental insurance)
  • Cigna HealthCare (mostly insurance for medical, dental, and pharmacy)
  • Cigna HealthSpring (mostly a Medicare company)

Aside from these, Cigna owns Cigna Voluntary, Choicelinx, and Union & Government-all companies that focus on various aspects of the customer experience with insurance. Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Healthy Rewards program-which, as you can guess, provides rewards for members who want to make healthier decisions in life. These products range from a Lasik procedure to natural supplements, to alternative medicine, to possibly more conventional changes like a membership at a gym. Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures. Finally, Cigna offers not just one but two mobile apps. With myCigna, the first, you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find a doctor, and perform other member tasks. The second app, Cigna Envoy, allows you specifically to get an ID card, check a claim, or contact Cigna with personal health questions.

With 86 million customers around the globe, customer service should be important to this company. And it is. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, email, phone, or live chat. Their mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall. Admittedly, however, it's difficult to find the live chat feature on the website. Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but they would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers. Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

The Bad

• Short-Term Insurance

Short-term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Cigna is a recommended company to get health insurance through. They have a great company history, several different types of plans to choose from, and connections to a very large network. While they would do well to provide more clear information about their contact points and types of insurance they don't offer, they have still done well to provide both customers and nonmembers with resources to be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location and health situation. But they have search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

Alejandro J Sola

February 22nd, 2018 Stony Brook, NY DETAILS

Having to interact what Cigna calls "customer service" is difficult, time-consuming and draining. And given their dishonest inefficiency, every claim has to be followed up manually. Avoid at all costs. Ask your employer to switch. And vote for whichever candidate will put these parasitical companies out of business.

Sheila Waldrop

January 17th, 2018 Stringer, MS DETAILS

Worst insurance money can buy! My husband and I pay $1,200 per month and pay for the best coverage they offer. I have multiple problems due to a car accident 4 years ago. Had a triple disckectomy over 3 years ago. Still have 1 collapsed disc in my neck and every disc in lower lumber is bulging/ herniated. My Doctor ordered an MRI in November, 2017. Cigna denied it. Well, had an epidural injections in my neck in January, 2018.. they denied it as well! I wouldn't recommend this insurance to anyone!! I only gave a 1 star rating because there wasn't an option for a zero. Please do not waste a single dime on this horrible rip off insurance

Michael Gallacher

January 17th, 2018 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I only make $24,000 a year. $3,600 of that goes to the annual Cigna premiums and I have a $6000 deductible and that's through my employer plan! Can you say WORTHLESS?? The Cigna plan is to steel as much as they can per month and discourage you from using it with a hulk sized deductible. Bottom line is they are thieves.

Chao

January 6th, 2018 Oklahoma City, OK DETAILS

We paid more than $20,000 a year to this company but our plan only paid less than $2,000 for our visits in year 2017, they applied as much as they could to the deductibles/copays. Their stock share price keep increasing all these years and now it's rocket high, think about how much money they made on us every year.

CG

December 30th, 2017 DETAILS

While trying to get information on my employer provided Cigna plan, I was given the worst run-around. My employer & Cigna own me, according to them. When I tried to just cancel the policy, Cigna refused, stating that my employer had to do it. My employer is also able to mandate vaccinations and other services that I object to. Cigna refused to cancel and would not answer any questions with anything other than a "sorry". My HR person also would not discuss Cigna. So, I pay these worthless bums for a crappy policy that I do not control and am forced to continue paying for, even if I do not use it. I F'ing hate Cigna with all of my heart. They are one of the worst examples of the "medical cartel" in my opinion.

Matt

December 28th, 2017 Howie In The Hills, FL DETAILS

So let me tell you how I got screwed by Cigna. My son was born in May of 2017 and I go on their mycigna website to find a pediatrician for him and found one 2 towns over that had good reviews and was IN NETWORK. So just to be sure I call Cigna to make sure I am good to go to bring my son there. The rep tells me "yup you're all good to go to Dr. Smith" (his actual name). So I bring my son there 4 times from May through November and don't hear anything from Cigna at all. I go on the mycigna website at the claims section to see that I owe $1,953.00. This surprises me since I have never received an explanation of benefits nor a bill for any amount. Not to mention nothing from Cigna telling me that there is any issue and that my doctor ISNT in my network. So I call Cigna to ask what is going on and they state they sent me explanation of benefits telling me that the doc isn't in my network and how much I owe which was approx. $500 per visit. I tell them that I have never received anything at all in the mail and they basically said "tough" we sent it to you now its your responsibility. So I have 4 issues: 1) the Cigna rep told me the doc was in network. 2) Cigna never told me the doc wasn't in network and never sent me an explanation of benefits because if they would have I obviously would of switched doctors. 3) I've never received a bill whatsoever. 4). They told me if I didn't pay the mystery bill I would be brought to collections and dropped from the insurance. Mind you, I HAVE NEVER RECEIVED A BILL. Cigna is an unbelievably dishonest and scummy company who wont own up to their mistakes and has no problem screwing over honest, hard working people. I told the rep that if I would have received an explanation of benefits saying my claim was denied the first time I brought him, I would of had no problem paying the bill and finding another doctor but Cigna never provided me that chance and wont own up to their mistake. Stay far away from this company and I would recommend recording every conversation you have with them since nothing they say can be trusted as the truth.

Sherry

December 27th, 2017 Fort Walton Beach, FL DETAILS

I bet Cigna has more more money this year than any other year they have been in business. Because, the have screwed over so many hard working people who pay a lot for their health care coverage and do not get reimburse for anything. Cigna hires 3rd parties to try and deny claims. Worse insurance company in US History. God I hope our employer switches back to Blue Cross. Blue Cross Geo Blue is like Heaven and CIGNA Global/Envoy is the Devil themselves. Pure Evil. Customer Service Sucks. And forget getting a legitimate regular claim paid or even a percentage. How in the world they have a 2.9 stars out of 5, I will never know. Should be No stars out of 5. Horrible, Terrible, useless coverage. Who ever works in the claims dept. should be fired and in prison for life. Monsters.

Debrina

December 27th, 2017 Mobile, AL DETAILS

Since I have been living for 52 years I have NEVER had health insurance as HORRIBLE as CIGNA. By far the worse crappiest non paying for normal standard claims insurance on the planet. If there is a health insurance worse than CIGNA, you may as well not even have any. I have had a ton of different insurance companies and have worked for many insurance companies and CIGNA is absolutely TERRIBLE. They will not cover legitimate claims when it's obvious you went to the Dr. and you needed what they told you needed. Will not cover Chiropractor (not enough), will not even cover a medical eye visit. I have paid out of pocket this year more than I have ever paid out in my life. Just about went bankrupt paying out of pocket for things that should have been covered for my children, husband, and myself. Im not talking about anything over the norm. Just normal regular things that all other insurance covers, other than deduct.

Hannah

December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Unfortunately, all in all, I would not recommend Cigna to anyone. I have had some good experiences, but they are drowned out by the number of poor customer service experiences I've had. And that's only considering the MINIMAL health issues we've had - I can't even imagine trying to deal with them with more rare or expensive health issues. For example, several times that I've called the customer service lines, I've been told I'm number four-hundred-something in the line (like, what?!) and to please wait. Other times, I've gotten someone, but man they are so, so difficult to understand. Other times STILL, I've had requests come to my mailbox for certain information and have complied and sent said info in, only to receive the exact same request a month later. Ugh. Sorry Cigna. You're not cool.

John Price

September 6th, 2017

I would rather deal with the cable company. Cigna has consistently denied and/or denied valid claims for healthcare strongly recommended by multiple healthcare professionals. We have waited months for claims to be processed and are never given clear guidance why some claims are paid and others denied. I have never dealt with a worse "service provider", particularly one that had literally life and death power over the lives of others.

Sue

September 5th, 2017 Wharton, NJ

They are the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with. First you call and get a person you can't understand and they get mad when you ask to repeat themselves. I have this insurance through my job and they deduct from my pay 2 times a month, so they get their money no problem. My husband has been diagnosed with a rare immune disorder and the doctor whom is a specialist did all the necessary tests to prove this sickness. He got 5 treatments and was starting to get some feeling back in his hands and feet. The doctor request 4 more weeks of treatments 2 times a week and the insurance is questioning the doctor for more tests to be done. Meanwhile he is not getting the treatments for a month and a half and he is not getting better. Now he is right back to where he started not able to walk properly. This company is delaying any progress to his health. I thought Medical Insurance is there to help. I am so disgusted with this low budget insurance company.

Param

July 27th, 2017 Smyrna, GA

It's been more than 4 weeks since i submitted the claim, and whenever i contact customer care team, I was advised to wait for 10 business days. Also they rejected the first claim even though it was within the policy date, after talking to a customer care agent they accepted that its their fault and now re-processing that claim. Worst health insurance company

Daniel

June 10th, 2017 Anoka, MN

One of the worst experiences I've ever had. I've been on leave from work for 3 months and am still struggling to get my disability benefits. They say they believe I am sick and the documentation is sufficient, yet they keep denying my claim for very vague reasons. I have contacted an attorney, talked to my HR manager, who is just as confused as I am about why they keep denying it, and it doesn't seem to phase Cigna. They didn't mind taking my money every paycheck for the past 2.5 years, but when I need those benefits, they stall at every opportunity. I am dealing with a health issue that is stressful and exhausting on it's own, and Cigna has only added to this stress and I am now more focused on trying to get my disability benefits to pay bills than I am on taking care of my health. This company makes me sick, they treat people like junk and I am shocked that my work chose to go through them after reading the reviews here. I have no idea how they stay in business when they treat people like junk. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to hire an attorney and sue to get my benefits.

Darin Davis

July 1st, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

In the day of the Internet Cigna only will use snail mail as a way of delaying paying short term and long term benefits. I have been struggling daily with Cigna to get paid for both short and long term. I have to delay my physical therapy as I have run out of funds dealing with Cigna. When SS Administration tell you Cigna will do every possible not to pay long term they were spot on. Now my ability to return to work is compremised as I have to stop physical therapy delaying my ability to get back what I lost due to a major surgery and delaying my ability to return to work in a timely manner.

Eva Iglesias

May 6th, 2016 Redwood City, CA

I have Cigna through my husband's job. I do not recommend this company if you are planning on actually using out of network providers and submitting claims on your own. My experience is that they will take an average of 3 months, sometimes 9 months, to pay your claim. They will send the claims back saying there is missing information or wrong codes, which is typically not true (based on my follow up calls, CS reps tell me the information is all there and correct). The have also sent payment to my service providers instead of me and then you have to follow up twice with Cigna and you will not receive the check for at least 45 days. Bottom line, be prepared to stay on top of your claims and spend hours on the phone with Cigna if you choose this insurance company. My experience is that CS reps are good. The problems is with the claims processing people and/or automated system.

RayChilders

February 27th, 2016 Orland Park, IL

Cigna refuses to cover annual mammograms.We have been trying for 3 years we always pay full mammogram bill

Michelle Williams

August 17th, 2015 Social Circle, GA

Cigna's Health Information Line where you speak with a nurse about a health issue is a waste of time. The "nurse" read through a list of questions (repeating some 2 or 3 times) and then said we needed evaluation by a pediatrician. She was clearly reading from a prompt the entire time. I have Google for that. I give it a 1 because she was polite. Just not helpful or knowledgeable.