Cigna

We Connect You With Wellness
  • Dental and Vision Coverage
  • Healthy Rewards Program and Discounts
  • Claim this Profile

Though its origins go back 200 years, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies came together. Since then, the company has grown worldwide, serving 86 million customers in 30 countries! With a base of 37,000 employees, Cigna was ranked 97th on Fortune 500’s 2014 list. It offers a wide selection of health plans and several unique qualities to health insurance.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
    • Member Resources
    • Unique Features
    • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First off, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. This opens your health plans up to a wider network and potentially more coverage. For health plans in general, Cigna offers a wide selection, including:

• Medicare and Medicaid
    • HSAs
    • HRAs
    • HMOs
    • PPOs

They even provide indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance). Cigna's plans include dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventative, restorative, and major dental work:

• Cigna Dental Preventive: This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna covers 100% of preventative and restorative work.
    • Cigna Dental 1000: With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for your dental expenses!
    • Cigna Dental 1500: Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for your work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network doctor, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member. The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member. You can also get an insurance quote for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this). Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws surrounding this industry.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than its own company. It also functions as the parent company for the following insurance subsidiaries:

• Cigna Group Insurance (which deals primarily with insurance for disability, life, and accidents)
    • Cigna Around the World (life insurance, accident insurance, and supplemental insurance)
    • Cigna HealthCare (mostly insurance for medical, dental, and pharmacy)
    • Cigna HealthSpring (mostly a Medicare company)

Aside from these, Cigna owns Cigna Voluntary, Choicelinx, and Union & Government-all companies that focus on various aspects of the customer experience with insurance. Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Healthy Rewards program-which, as you can guess, provides rewards for members who want to make healthier decisions in life. These products range from a Lasik procedure to natural supplements, to alternative medicine, to possibly more conventional changes like a membership at a gym. Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures. Finally, Cigna offers not just one but two mobile apps. With myCigna, the first, you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find a doctor, and perform other member tasks. The second app, Cigna Envoy, allows you specifically to get an ID card, check a claim, or contact Cigna with personal health questions.

With 86 million customers around the globe, customer service should be important to this company. And it is. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, email, phone, or live chat. Their mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall. Admittedly, however, it's difficult to find the live chat feature on the website. Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but they would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers. Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

The Bad

• Short-Term Insurance

Short-term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Cigna is a recommended company to get health insurance through. They have a great company history, several different types of plans to choose from, and connections to a very large network. While they would do well to provide more clear information about their contact points and types of insurance they don't offer, they have still done well to provide both customers and nonmembers with resources to be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location and health situation. But they have search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

KarenL
    September 21st, 2018 Germantown, TN DETAILS

The worst health insurance. They deny most procedures doctors apply for. They used cheap labs to process your blood samples which takes a long time for you to get the result. They spend lots of money, customers' money, on TV ads, trying to attract innocent customers. They collect customers' money and deny their benefits.

McKenzie Sheldon
    September 13th, 2018 Palmyra, NJ DETAILS

Cigna has been the worst for claims. I submitted medical expenses to get reimbursed three months ago and still have not received anything. I used to have Horizon Blue Cross and they would take a maximum of two weeks to let me know that I would see the funds in my account within the next 5 business days. Meanwhile everytime I call Cigna for an update, not only is it a headache to talk to the representatives, but it seems like nothing has even been started with my claims and they continuously tell me to wait another week. I cannot wait to switch health care companies. Even if I have to pay more, I will at least know I will get better service.

Spencer Schuenman
    August 29th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We recently got Cigna and switched from another carrier and they have been great. I have spoken with them multiple times and they have been very helpful in sorting out networks and services.

L Fowler
    August 28th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

We had Cigna for our health insurance a few years ago with our business and they were good to work with. We were able to find doctor's in network that accepted our insurance so that we did not have to pay a fortune for a doctor or other services. The office copay was reasonable as well.

Rashida Laumatia
    August 27th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Had Cigna for a little while and loved it. Until it was hard to get a live person on the phone. Once a person was on the other line, the agent was very rude as if I was burdening her. Would hate to see a good company get a bad name for something that could be a simple fix.

Tilda
    August 24th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Won’t cover the only emergency hospital in our town.

Christopher
    August 13th, 2018 Richmond, VA DETAILS

Terrible insurance.A total acam.Anthem pulled out of our atea.Their home office is here in Richmond Va and they don’t even offer polocies here.Health insurance in america is a scam

Jenny A. Tibbetts
    August 9th, 2018 Tooele, UT DETAILS

Cigna just denied me to have a lifesaving medical procedure that helped my cousin (who has the same GI genetic condition that I have). I'm getting sicker every day, what a nightmare! Through it all I've managed to graduate from college (this month) but will not be able to even hold down a job now because this procedure was denied. I'm hiring a lawyer and looking into all legal option!

Susan
    August 8th, 2018 Montross, VA DETAILS

We have had Cigna for a decade. Out of pocket has doubled and the process to get out of network provider costs covered has become cumbersome. They have outsourced customer service for some customers. This was particularly evident when my husband's company dropped Cigna due to a rate hike and our account was handled very poorly in the last 30 days of our coverage. The pharmacy even sent out an expensive prescription and charged my credit card after we were no longer customers were no longer customers.

Jimmy Picha
    August 6th, 2018 Houston, TX DETAILS

This is the worst insurance there is my plan covered annual physical at 100% but of course Cigna didn't pay I did call them and they made the appointment and said it would be paid at 100% I told the Doctor all I wanted was annual physical nothing else Cigna sends a bill they will not pay they are not in network. Every time I use them they have a excuse not to pay this is crap insurance please save your money get another Insurance Company.

Shelly Lomu
    July 25th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We have been really happy with our health insurance. I’ve had a few questions about providers and found the website easy to navigate.

Mike Affleck
    July 23rd, 2018 Cedar Park, TX DETAILS

They are outstanding in large group carrier with great customer service

Dory
    July 23rd, 2018 Springville, UT DETAILS

When my daughter was born Cigna negotiated a few prices but covered nothing. Then when my husband went to get a filling through their dental coverage we were told they only cover fillings in the front teeth. Who needs fillings in the front teeth! So we asked for the bigger plan that covers fillings, they said we would be good to go come June. So in June we finished a root canal for my husband and guess what, we get a bill for 400$ so i called Cigna, apparently our new plan is not effective until next year! However, we are paying the premium for it now! Do yourself a favor and don't let Cigna steal your money.

Helen Brown
    July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

They set a limit on how much needed medication they will pay for a patient in a month. Their rules are rigid, even with a doctor sending them a letter, explaining a covered procedure.

K Mason
    July 16th, 2018 DETAILS

Slow service; as their rates are very high.

Spencer Hodgson
    July 16th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

They provided good service for me and good health coverage.

Stephen Kincaid
    July 10th, 2018 Frederick, MD DETAILS

Claims are always denied - can no longer receive the level of healthcare I did from Blue Cross Blue Shield. I can't even go to the doctor anymore.

Thelma Gwin
    July 10th, 2018 Milton, DE DETAILS

I like them a lot, but I wish they could pay the co-pay and a little more than they cover.

Adam B
    July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

slow, unresponsive, changing to the wrong direction

Kenneth Bouldin
    July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Cigna has been very proactive in providing top notch customer service and prompt health care, and quick to follow up when I have medical emergencies to make sure that my needs were met and if any follow up care was needed. They also provide yearly checkups, and routine medication checks when new prescriptions are given.

Robert Joros
    July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

There are some Cigna's that are great. We recently changed co Obie's and the old policy was great. I loved it. One of the best insurances I've ever had and I've had some good ones. But the new company's insurance is awful. By far the worst insurance I've ever had.

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS

Not much. The only complain is that paying so much for premium I still owe mom tu to am lab

Amy Stewart
    July 6th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

We had Cigna Health Insurance! When my children were young we had Cigna insurance that was offered to us through my husbands company and we loved it! My pediatrician accepted Cigna and they were very helpful in covering all of our needs. I enjoyed not having to worry about visits being covered.

Jim Stewart
    July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Cigna customer service has always been professional and information given reliable.

Kaleb Herbert
    July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I am new to Cigna, but it has been very frustrating to try and get answers to costs prior to attending an appointment. I was transferred to 3 different departments and still did not get the answers I needed. I am not happy with the service.

Mary Moseberth
    July 5th, 2018 Fort Wayne, IN DETAILS

As a diabetic it has taken months to be stabilized on my current insulin. Switching from Aetna to Cigna, they decided they wouldn't cover the only one we have found the lowers my sugar. They will only pay for four types that my doctor never prescribes due to the lack of success in stabilizing patients sugar levels. Glad that some paper pusher knows more a out what will work for my health conditions, than my own physician. Also, hate that you are forced into 90 day supplies of meds. It has yet to save me money. In fact it prohibited me from using savings cards given by the drug makers. Cigna doesn't care about their subscribers, they just care about providing the cheapest care with the highest premium.

L
    July 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I have had mostly Cigna insurance for 20+ years. It isn’t the most organized company, but for the money compared to other healthcare, it’s been a good value. They just are very disorganized and it’s hard to get a consistent answer when we have a question.

Aaron Robertson
    June 26th, 2018 Houston, TX DETAILS

Cigna insurance is garbage and they don't care about their members. In short, I have a torn spinal disc on which I was supposed to have surgery about 2 months ago. Cigna denied my surgery, and my experience since then with Cigna in trying to resolve this has been utterly awful. Cigna decided that my surgery was not medically necessary because I hadn’t seen a psychiatrist, which is absurd. 2 MRI’s and other diagnostic procedures clearly indicate a torn L5-S1 disc as the source of pain. The issue with my spine is quite obviously mechanical, and so the requirement to see a psychiatrist was a complete waste of my time and money, and kept me in pain needlessly. But I went ahead and saw the psychiatrist anyway, figuring it was the fastest way to get approval. After Cigna lost the records my doctor sent over multiple times, I was finally able to get them to confirm they had what they needed. At this time, I was told they would reach a decision in 5 business days. After a week, I called to find my case was not even under review. Then, I was given a new promise of a decision within 72 hours. After that time elapsed, I was told that no decision had been made and they couldn’t even tell me why. After several more calls and more conflicting answers, I'm now being told that I’ll have to wait 30 days. No one at Cigna seems to have any clue what is going on with my case, and they just give me false or conflicting information. Cigna "Customer Service" is a complete nightmare. They have given me false information over and over, and refuse to take any responsibility for it. I satisfied their requirements for this surgery over a month ago, and yet they continue to delay. They seem content to keep me in pain indefinitely, with an ever-changing story about when I'll get a resolution. Cigna simply does not care about their members at all, and they operate in bad faith using questionable denials and delays.

michelle l pierce
    June 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Great customer service, good choice for doctors and hospitals .

Sharea
    June 21st, 2018 Atlanta, GA DETAILS

Cigna dental sent checks that i never received. Asked them to stop payment and send out more. Its been TWO YEARS; this went unoticed by my ortho now for the past 4 months me and the orrho have been calling. They LIE say they are going to process and have it sent. Ive talked to 5 different chicks 2 different managers...jana a. veronica j. john d. to name a few...NOT ONE have kept their promise and i havent heard back from one. This company is a FRAUD.

Amy Crawley
    June 5th, 2018 Draper, UT DETAILS

I have been dealing with a Cigna problem for the past year. It hasn't been corrected and it is a Cigna issue. I continue to deal with the problem. My husband's company is now switching insurance providers because it has been such a frustrating issue. He is an executive at the company and there are currently over 200 employees (and growing, they just had their series A capital raise). I honestly wish you could contact me about this. It is not resolved and I have had Cigna insurance for years prior to this without an issue.

Lynette Fowler
    May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had a pleasant experience with Cigna and really didn't have any issues with filing claims or having them pay for services we incurred.

Carol Hughes
    April 30th, 2018 DeSoto, TX DETAILS

I have had Cigna as my medication insurance for years. This will be the LAST year I have them. They approve a medication , then turn around a month later and deny it! Every year, they remove medication from their formulas that someone has been on for months or years....& not powerful meds either.....normal meds that do not have addiction tendencies. The worst part is THEY want to override your physicians treatment plan & tell you what THEY think you should take! I'm sorry, but an Insurance Company is NOT my doctor. I believe my doctors knowledge is more valuable in knowing my health issues, than any pharmacist or insurance company! And when they want to push their idea of your treatment plan, they call you 6-8 times a day, hanging up & leaving a message! That's harassment as far as I'm concerned.......I am SO done with this company.

Chase Huntzinger
    April 26th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

I have Cigna dental insurance. It is okay coverage. I have one of the better plans but it doesn't cover fluoride treatment. Also isn't the cheapest around.

Andrea S
    April 18th, 2018 Idaho Falls, ID DETAILS

We have had Cigna health insurance on three occasions and it has been very difficult every time. Their customer service is terrible and getting an answer to a question requires a million phone calls over several days. Their coverage is not as high as many other providers and many of our coworkers have complained about not being able to reach anyone to get procedures preauthorized. We have had several instances where things were billed incorrectly and each time we spoke to someone who told us it was taken care of, it wasn't and continued to be wrong. The doctors and hospitals have also told us they hate working with Cigna. We always try to avoid having Cigna insurance through our employer.

Zoe Julian
    April 16th, 2018 DETAILS

I would give Cigna zero stars if it were possible. Cigna gave me the run around for 9 months following a medical procedure that was covered by my insurance. They continued to reject my claims even though everything was covered and had been verified previous to treatment. Only after threatening legal action did they fulfill their end of the terms. The customer service was less than helpful and I was given incorrect and different information every time I called, resulting in confusion and a longer time to get my claims settled. I will never use Cigna again.

Christian Mandl
    March 26th, 2018 Lexington, MA DETAILS

Seems to be a highly dysfunctional and poorly organized company. Within 6 months they have managed to (i) send me an incorrect 1099 HC form; (ii) refused to correct the form; (iii) after intervention from my employer promised to correct it, but instead sent the wrong form again; (iv) failed to reactivate my insurance under COBRA for two months in spite of me providing proof of having paid my premiums; (v) sent two out of 4 reimbursement checks to the provider instead of me although the receipts clearly showed that I had payed out of pocket; (vi) were unable to track the checks that were delivered incorrectly and gave me repeatedly wrong information; (vii) delayed processing of claims for over two months and sent me more than 10 letters announcing those delays. With this error rate, I wonder how they can stay in business. As a customer, it is a very frustrating experience. I strongly recommend to look for better insurance companies.

Drew
    March 16th, 2018 Rainbow, TX DETAILS

I wish there was a zero star rating. WORST possible insurance available. Negligent, malicious, heartless, worthless. They should be investigated and audited by each State and Federal government for predatory practices and their proven deny / delay tactics. Have had excellent experience with Aetna, State Farm, CHUBB, Minnesota Life, and CUNA. Cigna is a disaster and hides behind ERISA protection that was supposed to protect consumers. Instead Cigna gets to act as judge, jury, and executioner.

Shirley Carolan
    March 8th, 2018 Kirkland, WA DETAILS

DIRE! They would not even pay for preventative. Their excuse was, because a polyp was found in 2012 (benign so it was nothing more that a spot) then I can never have a preventative colonoscopy again. I was left with a large bill. Yes I Appealed because the surgeon insisted it was preventative, they denied the Appeal. I will never use them again. I'm done!

Alejandro J Sola
    February 22nd, 2018 Stony Brook, NY DETAILS

Having to interact what Cigna calls "customer service" is difficult, time-consuming and draining. And given their dishonest inefficiency, every claim has to be followed up manually. Avoid at all costs. Ask your employer to switch. And vote for whichever candidate will put these parasitical companies out of business.