Though its origins go back to 1792, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies merged. Since then, the insurance provider has grown worldwide, serving millions of customers in multiple countries.

Consumers considering health insurance companies need to understand the offered health benefit plans, what each policy covers and what it costs.

Is Cigna good?

Cigna has many health benefit plans to choose from. Cigna global health plans are available to independent buyers and businesses whose employees travel or work internationally.

In the United States, Cigna offers a wide selection of health insurance plans and several unique qualities. Cigna offers Medicare plans and HSA-compatible plans. It also provides dental and vision insurance plans.

Cigna also has good member resources for patients. If Cigna health insurance is available in your area and you find a quality, affordable plan, it is a good choice.

Cigna health insurance customer reviews are at the bottom of the page.

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First of all, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. No matter what kind of coverage or insurance plan a consumer is looking for, Cigna will probably have a good option available.

Cigna offers a wide selection of insurance policies, including:

• Medicare (Medicare Advantage plans and Part D)
  • Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance)
  • Health Savings Account (HSA) Compatible Plans
  •  (typically high deductible plans)
  • Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) Compatible Plans
  • Health Maintenance Organization Network Plans (HMO)
  • Preferred Provider Organization Network Plans (PPO)

Cigna health care insurance options include indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance).

Like other multi-state insurance companies, the availability of specific plans varies by state.

Covered services tend to be pretty similar across traditional plans, like a Cigna PPO and a Cigna HMO.  However coverage levels, networks, and cost-sharing rules differ. For example, a PPO network offers more options for choosing doctors. It offers coverage and discounted rates for in- and out-of-network providers.

Additionally, some plans require prior authorization for some health care services before the insurance kicks in to help cover the health care costs. The insurance premiums also vary based on the number of people on the plan and demographic information, like age.

Cigna's also offers individual and family dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventive services, restorative, and major dental work. A Cigna dental care plan is available to individuals and families. However, the terms and costs vary depending on the number of people insured.

• Cigna Dental Preventive — This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna is responsible for the costs of preventative work.
  • Cigna Dental 1000 — With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for restorative dental expenses!
  • Cigna Dental 1500 — Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for restorative work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this benefit plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Cigna insurance is also available to employers who provide health insurance and other benefits to their employees.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network provider, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member.

The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member.

You can also view the health benefits, coverage, and costs (copayment, deductible, coinsurance, out-of-pocket expenses, etc.) for plans and get a quote of monthly premiums for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this).

Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws, like the Affordable Care Act, that affect the industry.

Cigna also offers programs to support the health and well-being of its members. The Cigna Healthy Rewards® program offers discounts to members for fitness clubs, nutrition programs, alternative medicine, and more.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than one company. It has several subsidiaries that either focus on certain kinds of insurance or serve specific areas.

Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Cigna Healthy Rewards® program

Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures.

Finally, Cigna offers several apps. For example you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find doctors and hospitals, and perform other member tasks with the myCigna app.

With millions of customers around the globe, customer service is important to Cigna. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, or phone. The mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall.

Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but it would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers.

Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

Get Quote

The Bad

No Short-Term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

An insurance plan provides discounts and cost-sharing for medical treatment and care, which can significantly reduce medical expenses.

Overall, Cigna is a recommended insurance provider for consumers. It has a great company history. Those seeking insurance coverage can find a Cigna health insurance plan that meets their needs.

Cigna offers plans that are compatible with HSAs and HRAs. Cigna has HMO and PPO plans, Medicare, and Medigap.

Cigna's network is large, although a customer's access to it depends on the kind of health plan they have. Cost-sharing rules for health care costs also vary based on the benefit plan chosen. Customers can also purchase vision and dental insurance from Cigna.

While it would be nice to have clearer information about their contact points and types of insurance Cigna doesn't offer, it's website still has plenty of resources to help members and potential members be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location, health situation, and the amount you want to pay for your monthly premiums. Cigna has search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

Individuals who choose a health insurance plan from Cigna, have access to Cigna's member resources and services. Cigna makes it easy to find a primary care physician, specialized doctors, and other health care professionals. Cigna also makes it easy to view the claims process and see the explanation of benefits.

Call our recommended rep over at Cigna below.

2.6

Melinda Olson
December 2nd, 2019 Goodyear, AZ DETAILS

Cigna has provided us with great insurance and to see the doctors we like. Customer service helped us figure out issues we had.

Connor
November 29th, 2019 Farmington, UT

Cigna is rough. They don't cover much and even didn't cover my friend's shattered knee cap. They do cover some things that don't seem medically necessary which is nice.

Michelle W
November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS

I feel like the health insurance plans offered to me by my employer from Cigna were not as good as I've had in the past. The high deductible plan was REALLY high, and my normal pills I took daily weren't covered. But the customer service helped me as much as they could and walked me through where I needed to look/go to fix my problems.

Jolanda Johnston
November 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Avoid this insurance company if your life and health depends upon it.... literally!! Cigna denied covering chemotherapy treatment for me despite the fact that I was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer several weeks ago. They are claiming that I need to try "less invasive" techniques prior to chemo., but the only reason why I feel they are doing this is because of the cost of the chemo. sessions. Would you believe Cigna had the nerve to suggest that I tried oral cancer medications first, before they would consider approving coverage for my chemo. sessions? I've never heard of anything so ridiculous in my entire life as that, of course chemo. sessions are the most common standard of care.... for someone who has C-A-N-C-E-R!!! Yet Cigna is still trying to find any possible and imaginable way to avoid covering my treatment, even though I have 4 different oncologists on my cancer treatment team who are diagnosing the exact opposite: that my chemo. sessions really are medically necessary. Fortunately, several of my friends and family help me set up a GoFundMe page, so I've been able to raise some money to cover the costs associated with my chemo. treatment sessions so far. The rest of the money for my cancer treatment has unfortunately, had to be taken out of my 3 kids' college funds - money we set aside so they could have that benefit of attending college. Yet now, everything is all up in smoke....all our dreams of early retirement, of financing our kids' college tuition, of paying off our mortgage early - and all because our insurance company, Cigna refuses to stand by their morals and do the right thing. How can an insurance company act so callous, so cold and without regard for human life? I just don't understand how the people working for this organization can even sleep at night, being as unethical as they are? If no other positive or good comes out of my situation, then at least hopefully prospective insureds considering insurance coverage through Cigna will find themselves well-informed, and able to make an educated decision on their healthcare needs. Trust me though, when I tell you that this company: Cigna is definitely NOT "in the business of caring" about you or your health..... they sure weren't about mine! And also believe me that Cigna is also NOT "together all the way" with you as their member. None of those cheezey, phony mottoes in my opinion, amount to anything more than cliched rhetoric. This insurance company Cigna is the absolute worst of the worst. Based upon so many of my horrific experiences dealing with this atrocity of a so-called "caring and compassionate" insurance company, this is actually the last insurance company on planet Earth that I would even insure a stray dog with!!

Madison Leonard
November 15th, 2019 Midlothian, VA DETAILS

I love this insurance company, I can always go to the doctor without having to pay and arm and a leg to go

Gina M
November 14th, 2019 Ballston Spa, NY DETAILS

Stay away from CIGNA. Do not take my word for it, Google CIGNA LTD Complaints. The CEO and Executives are GREEDY PIGS. All they care about is the stockholders and the PIGS at the top. Spread the word to family, friends, coworkers, social media sites to hopefully hit CIGNA in the purse strings by reducing the premiums they collect.

Brenda Mertes
November 11th, 2019 Houston, TX DETAILS

Cigna charges way too much and ultimately my family has ended up paying for a majority of the tests and procedures that my son has needed. I guess they figure we love paying half a thousand dollars a month for absolutely nothing. I would love to see this company disappear completely. It's as if they figure we just loved taking diagnostic tests and we didn't need the actual help of the insurance company covering it.

James
October 15th, 2019 New Castle, KY DETAILS

Cigna doesn’t cover Home Health Care at all! And they don’t cover diabetics well at all! Worst insurance ever!

Jacob Wiggins
October 15th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Was badly injured, visited a doctor who said I needed an MRI and Cigna refused to cover my MRI. Although it was a referral from an in network doctor who urged me to get a MRI, Cigna said that I couldn't prove that I was injured and that getting a note in writing from the doctor was insufficient. I find it disgusting that the CEO can make an income of nearly 50 million annually while paying customers get mistreated. Do not support Cigna and let the free market demand better service.

Dylan Curtis
October 15th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We had this Health Insurance when my daughter broke her arm while trampolining. They took good care of us, without it we would have been put in a big financial hole.

Danilo
October 7th, 2019 Charlotte, NC DETAILS

Cigna Health Insurance is the worst I ever had in all my life! I use to have Cigna Internacional Heath Insurance, actually the best plan, the more expensive. I never needed to use this plan, but once I needed. I start feeling some burning in my stomach and then I visited a gastro and he asked me to have an endoscopy done. I had the exam done and after that Cigna just canceled everything about my gastro and didn't even wanted to pay my endoscopy and believe me, not even the visit in the gastro. My sister use to have the same insurance and she passed through the same thing but another exam. Cigna is an excellent receiving money, but when someone need them, they just run away. They are not a honest Company! Cigna is untrustable!

Larry kaplan
October 7th, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

We switched from United Health care to Cigna this year. It was a big mistake from cigna medical to cigna dental the customer service is the worst in the industry and we found it out the hard way. It's unbelievable how we've gotten so many employee complaints about Cigna customer service. We're actually going to have to switch back to United healthcare which is going to cost our company more but have to deal with less irate emoyees. Companies and customers beware Cigna dental or health is a big mistake.

bailey jo
October 7th, 2019 Orem, UT

My parents had us on Cigna through my mom's work and it worked pretty well until I moved from Texas to Utah for college. Anytime I would try to use it, it would give me headaches trying to get my coverage set up and when I had ACL surgery, it sent me to a doctor that I didn't really trust and I ended up needing surgery again on that same knee a few years later.

Pam Robello
October 1st, 2019 Marysvale, UT DETAILS

I have only had Cigna since the first of 2019 and I have to say that I am very, very disappointed in it. It takes forever for them to approve any tests! I wish my company would go back to the insurance we used to have

Terri wills
September 24th, 2019 Frederick, MD DETAILS

Cigna saved my life! I went into the hospital two years ago for suicide. Cigna was on it, they gave me a case manager, they gave me a counselor 24 seven 365. They set me up with the mental health professionals that I needed. They helped me with medical as well. But it when it comes down to it Cigna saved my life!

Wilmaris
September 23rd, 2019 Ashburn, VA DETAILS

Can I give zero stars? Runaway from this insurer. It's the worse medical plan you can find. They won't cover anything but happy to take the Government and your money. The only services they cover are preventative. Everything else you have to pay all until you pay them the deductibles which are so high, you never will on a year. I have to pay for all my doctor's visit and forced to take medicines with high risk to my health because they won't cover it and the only one I can afford monthly creates a higher risk for me to develop cancer. They don't care about your health, they only care about their business. Can't wait to finish my contract with this company. Before I was with Blue Cross/Blue Shield and they were covering all, except the regular deductibles which they count for the amount I have to pay to complete my deductible yearly amount. Can't imagine a company worse than Cigna. Do yourself a favor, run away​ from this company.

Ron Durfey
September 11th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I was lucky enough to have Cigna health insurance through my employer and always appreciated the support that I received from them. They were fair and helped with my health needs. Great company and great coverage. I was glad to have Cigna as my health insurance payer.

Campbell Blair
August 29th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

CIgna was super helpful whenever I needed coverage. They were easy to work with and very helpful.

Scotlynn Blair
August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Cigna provides great service at a reasonable cost. I have always been happy with what they have covered.

Cambria Blair
August 28th, 2019 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

I have been a customer for years and have been impressed with the customer service.

Robert D Zell
August 26th, 2019 DETAILS

Just an average health insurance company. Nothing stands out as being exceptional in terms of dealing with them.

Joan Hast
August 26th, 2019 DETAILS

I had a hip replacement recently and used your insurance with my Medicare. So far I have not received a bill and have been pleased so far.

yibin wang
August 16th, 2019 Berkeley Heights, NJ DETAILS

The system seems not properly designed, always requested the same information when they got claims, the the 2nd insurer (should already in their system)

Sennelier999
August 11th, 2019 St Louis, MO DETAILS

RUN FROM CIGNA. The worst health insurance company I've EVER had. I received claims for other people MULTIPLE TIMES from all across the country (HIPAA?). They said it must just be that I have a common name. I've NEVER been mixed up with another human by an insurance company in my life before, or after, them. They filed almost every claim with errors. I have one office visit with like eight different EOBs populated for it because they don't have a clue what they're doing. It's still that way to this very day despite being on the phone for hours of my life trying to get them to straighten it out. They blame it on the provider. When I call the providers they say Cigna is just like that. I've never had this happen with any other insurance company before, or after, Cigna. They were what my employer provided for three years. I switched jobs in part to escape this HORRIBLE company. Guess what? They changed the status of a claim from TEN MONTHS earlier, processing it so I owed money...after I had already quit, literally moved on, and discontinued services with Cigna. I received no email or letter from them about the change in status of the claim. I finally logged back into my Cigna account because of another issue that came up and realized six months after-the-fact what they had done.The bill was already in collections by the time I found out I even owed anything. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF AND CHOOSE AETNA INSTEAD.

Brandon
August 8th, 2019 Baltimore, MD DETAILS

I’ve been experiencing sciatic pain for about +3 months I’ve have been trying a variety of medication and seeing a physical therapist and is unable to work because of the sciatic pain. My job requires me to be on my feet and I can’t constantly be standing and running around. I already did a x ray which didn’t show anything I was recommended to do a mri by my physical therapist. I went to my primary care doctor requested a MRI which he orders so I went to the radiologist and make a appointment which was postponed and later canceled because Cigna never approved my MRI(just requested additional info). After researching online I found out it’s common for Cigna to deny people’s MRIs even if it’s urgent for someone to get a MRI. I been dealing with this pain for 3 months and unable to make a living and to this day I don’t even know what’s causing my sciatic pain cause these crooks are afraid they may find something that would cost them money. Health insurance companies prey on the vulnerable and one day these health insurance companies will get what’s coming for them! Single Payer all the way!

Krystal Taylor
August 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

My family was covered by Cigna for 10 years, and we are extremely grateful for them. My mother who was diagnosed with cancer during this period, was able to receive treatment that saved her life, and not become financially ruined in the process. I had to make several arrangements prior to leaving the country for an extended period of time, and my interactions with their customer service phone representatives were awesome. They were knowledgeable, helpful, efficient and kind

Julie
July 31st, 2019 Billerica, MA DETAILS

I have Cigna through my husbands employer and have had it for only 4 weeks now. I had to get Prior Authorization for 2 of my medications and within minutes of them receiving tIhe completed forms from my doctors Denied the medications. One of the medications is Insulin. Cigna has no idea about my medical history and they are denying an insulin that is working for me. They told my doctor that I needed to switch to a different insulin that they are saying I have to use. Cigna IS NOT my doctor. Who are they to make medical decisions for people?? Switching to a different insulin is not that easy. The number of units to take needs to be figured out and that takes months and you have to go through the A1C testing and other things. They denied another medication and said that I had to go on a medication that has at least 26 side effects. And required prior authorization for the medication they said I had to go on. I don't want to be on a medication that has that many side effects (would anyone else)?? I have done a bunch of research on the medication and it scares the crap out of me. It is obvious that money is their number one priority and not the customer. This whole thing is stressing my out, causing severe headaches and is depressing me. I want to know what gives them the right to make medical decisions for people they don't know?? They are not my doctor(s). What gives them the right to play god with peoples lives???? I am still waiting for a call back from Daniella in the Pharmacy Department, but I'm not holding my breath. If this crap continues I will be contacting my attorney.

Sladan
July 5th, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

This is the worst health insurance which i ever dealt with. They offered a policy for my father without any restrictions. They charged us three months of the policy term, my father recently just went to a doctor where just a few days ago he's been diagnosed with cancer. Cigna automatically declined our claim stating that he did have a pre condition, what is totally absurd and not true. Furthermore in order to verify that my father didn't have any medical issues whatsoever prior starting his policy with them they asked me to prove that with his medical records 5 years backwards, i went ahead and provided them with medical record since December 2005. Today is 04/07/2019. After couple days of their " due diligence" i am receiving an email that they are canceling his policy completely, when i asked them why? their agent told me that is the decision of his medical team from Cigna even though they didn't find anything about prior illnesses from my dad since he didn't have any. I am extremely disappointed with this Company, whenever it comes to that they need to charge Your card for the policy there is no delays whatsoever which I would be fine with that if they providing what they said they will, but when it comes that they need to pay something for You in return well that's when the issues are starting. I don't understand what's the purpose of having an health insurance on a first place if You will end up paying everything from Your pocket again anyway. I am escalating entire case to my attorney, because this company should be out of business completely!!!

Chris Baldwin
July 1st, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I used Cigna for my health insurance for several years. I found their customer service to be one of the better ones in the insurance industry as I have had tried several over the years.

Angela
June 27th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

Cigna promptly paid our claims and our plan gave us decent coverage. As with all insurance it seems over priced, but being a necessity we found a plan that offered respectable value for our family of 6. We did have an issue getting our deductible to rollover from our previous plan and that took several months to sort out which was annoying, but it did eventually get resolved. Customer service was so so and frustrating at times.

T
June 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Had through work. Had different options. Wasn’t happy that when I had an issue with them no one seemed to know how hat steps I needed to take to get it resolved.

Jayde Walker
June 18th, 2019 Provo, UT

Cigna has been such a great insurance for our family! They are always willing to help whenever we call!

Lilly
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I was always intimidated to talk about insurance stuff because I didn’t know a whole lot. But when I had to go pick up some subscriptions. I called Cigna to see what was covered and what wasn’t. And the lady I talked to was an angle. She answered all my annoying questions and told me all the little details about what I could and couldn’t get.

Mrs. R
June 13th, 2019 Red Oak, TX DETAILS

I have been with Cigna 7 years. They were a great insurance to have. 2019 has been the worse experience ever. My husband fell and ripped his rotator cuff. They would not pay for MRI (said he needed 6 weeks of therapy) now if he would have done pt it would have caused more damage. Then the surgeon said he needed surgery. CIGNS DENIED that claim and said they needed to see MRI. ok how do we send images to you? The dr. Office asked, they(Cigna) replied: WE DO NOT KNOW! REALLY. THIS is sad. Any then the money we have had to pay upfront now bc dr. Offices do not trust cigna yo pay. This company has had a good run but time is up. Do not get this insurance Aetna is even better than this.

Jeremy Balls
June 12th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

My experience with Cigna has been nothing but positive. They cover what their policy says they'll cover and have been quick at processing claims. My only complaint is that they don't include most Intermountain Health Care Hospitals.

Dawn Brooks
June 12th, 2019 Millville, NJ DETAILS

Short term disability is a joke Been 4 weeks they still haven't sent the correct forms to the correct doctors I'm getting the run around and my doctor is so confused he doesn't understand the paperwork they are sending him, the mental health questions are a joke they are actually trying to nay say a doctor evaluation who I have gone to for 20 years for same problem, I can not get my own case worker on the phone I keep getting other so called associated people who say all sorts of conflicting statements I actually had one guy tell me they don't approve mental health claims easily because you can't actually see it like you can a broken leg, what??? Are you serious omg how rude. I'm still waiting game fir my case worker to call me after 3 weeks I doubt I'm going to get paid. So nothing like being depressed and stressed and them adding to my condition. They should be held accountable for their incompetence

Sierra Beck
June 12th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Insurance through my husband's work. Easy to navigate website, and I do like the chat to answer quick questions. Oh even the app works good

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband and I worked through this insurance company for close to 10 years through a company that he was working for. Both my husband and I had cancerous surgeries to remove cancerous cells. This health insurance made our lives much easier as much of these costs were covered after we had met our deductible. The biggest challenge with this company is its customer service. I have spent hours upon hours on the phone and feel like I never was able to get the answers that I needed.

Gracie
June 5th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

We all know insurance providers can be confusing at times, but I've never been more confused on what is covered, vs what is not, than with Cigna. I've received letters stating that basic testing for pregnancy is not covered, and from the sounds of it, Cigna plays by its own rules rather than what has been recommended by the AMA. Although their customer service was kind, I was still lead down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what was covered and what wasn't. There are better services out there. I recommend United Healthcare.

Christina Balls
June 4th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Seems to be plenty of in network doctors to choose from and we have not had problems with finding doctors, but as with all insurances, the cost is absolutely ridiculous and unaffordable for most families. Customer service has always been very helpful

Dale L Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I was somewhat limited in choices but I found a doctor I liked. He ended up not accepting this insurance after a year.

Emily Walker
May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT

Overall they have been very easy to work with and very helpful with questions that I've had.

Shane Duque
May 29th, 2019 Raymond, NH DETAILS

I paid for my insurance for months and they did not pay for two free cleanings that they promised to pay for and did not! So Complete waste of money.

Allison
May 22nd, 2019 Joplin, MO DETAILS

I’ve had Cigna high option through my employer for over 15 years. I have choices of companies and have stuck with Cigna because my drs are in network. However, they use a 3rd party to process preapprovals (Evcore?) and Informed choices that is literally a company to harass you about what the dr has ordered! They called everyday when I was in the hospital after a liver resection to ask why I was still there and when I thought they’d release me. Still in ICU. I’m convinced I was released entirely to soon which lead to other complications because they called daily to talk to me and nurses. They also take a ridiculous amount of time to approve of dr ordered tests and then call you trying to get you to get the test done at the cheapest place they can find. Even if it’s 60miles away. Took almost 3 weeks to get an mri approved for my sons torn ACL. I had to sign a insurance waiver when I showed up for a CT scan and they were still waiting for approval. I had taken off work and when I called they said “nothing they could do. Should be approved by end of business day”. They call you before every procedure to harass you guaranteed! I’ve blocked the number so I don’t have to talk to them.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I love Cigna! They're prompt when I need to call in for coverage information. Most offices we end up at are covered by Cigna which is great!

Rick
May 17th, 2019 Manchester, CT DETAILS

What a horrible experience when you're sick! I have been dealing with Cigna for several years now and each time I talk to an associate, I get wrong, conflicting, and inappropriate information from them regarding claims and coverage. I am shocked at the number of times I have had to explain to my Cigna associate how my deductible works because they are giving me inaccurate information. This includes giving my healthcare provider figures like $4000.00 instead of $400.00 left to meet my deductible. I frequently get disconnected when I am on hold waiting for a supervisor and I am often transferred to wrong departments. I seldom get return calls when I have requested them and I never have gotten satisfaction with the numerous problems I have with coverage. If I had a choice, I would drop this awful insurance company in a minute. You win again, Cigna. You got my insurance premiums (+/- $14000.00 annually) and you got out of paying bills . Shameful!

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We have had many health insurance providers and Cigna has been my all time favorite. It seemed like our bills were dramatically lower when we were with Cigna and our premiums were cheap. Look into Cigna if you haven't.

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We were with Cigna for several years but didn't like the high co-pay for doctor visits. The physician selection was adequate.

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had Cigna in the past and they are easy to work with, don't have killer fees and have a great selection of doctors and care specialists available. They are easy to talk to and easy to learn about what I need to do.

Wong
April 23rd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

In years of experience with United Health Care and Oxford, my experience with Cigna has been absolutely terrible. Cigna has the worst pay out ratio, the highest rejection levels, and the most frustrating exclusions. I would never pick Cigna if not for the mandatory choice of my employer. Terrible quality - there are many superior insurers.