Cigna

4.0

Though its origins go back 200 years, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies came together. Since then, the company has grown worldwide, serving 86 million customers in 30 countries! With a base of 37,000 employees, Cigna was ranked 97th on Fortune 500’s 2014 list. It offers a wide selection of health plans and several unique qualities to health insurance.

#1 BlueCross BlueShield Logo BlueCross BlueShield ›

6.0

Overall
Score

#2 Humana Logo Humana ›

5.6

Overall
Score

#3 Aetna Logo Aetna ›

5.0

Overall
Score

#6 Cigna Logo Cigna

4.0

Overall
Score

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First off, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. This opens your health plans up to a wider network and potentially more coverage. For health plans in general, Cigna offers a wide selection, including:

• Medicare and Medicaid
  • HSAs
  • HRAs
  • HMOs
  • PPOs

They even provide indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance). Cigna's plans include dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventative, restorative, and major dental work:

• Cigna Dental Preventive: This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna covers 100% of preventative and restorative work.
  • Cigna Dental 1000: With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for your dental expenses!
  • Cigna Dental 1500: Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for your work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network doctor, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member. The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member. You can also get an insurance quote for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this). Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws surrounding this industry.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than its own company. It also functions as the parent company for the following insurance subsidiaries:

• Cigna Group Insurance (which deals primarily with insurance for disability, life, and accidents)
  • Cigna Around the World (life insurance, accident insurance, and supplemental insurance)
  • Cigna HealthCare (mostly insurance for medical, dental, and pharmacy)
  • Cigna HealthSpring (mostly a Medicare company)

Aside from these, Cigna owns Cigna Voluntary, Choicelinx, and Union & Government-all companies that focus on various aspects of the customer experience with insurance. Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Healthy Rewards program-which, as you can guess, provides rewards for members who want to make healthier decisions in life. These products range from a Lasik procedure to natural supplements, to alternative medicine, to possibly more conventional changes like a membership at a gym. Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures. Finally, Cigna offers not just one but two mobile apps. With myCigna, the first, you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find a doctor, and perform other member tasks. The second app, Cigna Envoy, allows you specifically to get an ID card, check a claim, or contact Cigna with personal health questions.

With 86 million customers around the globe, customer service should be important to this company. And it is. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, email, phone, or live chat. Their mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall. Admittedly, however, it's difficult to find the live chat feature on the website. Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but they would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers. Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

The Bad

• Short-Term Insurance

Short-term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

Overall, Cigna is a recommended company to get health insurance through. They have a great company history, several different types of plans to choose from, and connections to a very large network. While they would do well to provide more clear information about their contact points and types of insurance they don't offer, they have still done well to provide both customers and nonmembers with resources to be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location and health situation. But they have search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

December 7th, 2017 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Unfortunately, all in all, I would not recommend Cigna to anyone. I have had some good experiences, but they are drowned out by the number of poor customer service experiences I've had. And that's only considering the MINIMAL health issues we've had - I can't even imagine trying to deal with them with more rare or expensive health issues. For example, several times that I've called the customer service lines, I've been told I'm number four-hundred-something in the line (like, what?!) and to please wait. Other times, I've gotten someone, but man they are so, so difficult to understand. Other times STILL, I've had requests come to my mailbox for certain information and have complied and sent said info in, only to receive the exact same request a month later. Ugh. Sorry Cigna. You're not cool.

September 6th, 2017

I would rather deal with the cable company. Cigna has consistently denied and/or denied valid claims for healthcare strongly recommended by multiple healthcare professionals. We have waited months for claims to be processed and are never given clear guidance why some claims are paid and others denied. I have never dealt with a worse "service provider", particularly one that had literally life and death power over the lives of others.

September 5th, 2017 Wharton, NJ

They are the worst insurance company I ever had to deal with. First you call and get a person you can't understand and they get mad when you ask to repeat themselves. I have this insurance through my job and they deduct from my pay 2 times a month, so they get their money no problem. My husband has been diagnosed with a rare immune disorder and the doctor whom is a specialist did all the necessary tests to prove this sickness. He got 5 treatments and was starting to get some feeling back in his hands and feet. The doctor request 4 more weeks of treatments 2 times a week and the insurance is questioning the doctor for more tests to be done. Meanwhile he is not getting the treatments for a month and a half and he is not getting better. Now he is right back to where he started not able to walk properly. This company is delaying any progress to his health. I thought Medical Insurance is there to help. I am so disgusted with this low budget insurance company.

July 27th, 2017 Smyrna, GA

It's been more than 4 weeks since i submitted the claim, and whenever i contact customer care team, I was advised to wait for 10 business days. Also they rejected the first claim even though it was within the policy date, after talking to a customer care agent they accepted that its their fault and now re-processing that claim. Worst health insurance company

June 10th, 2017 Anoka, MN

One of the worst experiences I've ever had. I've been on leave from work for 3 months and am still struggling to get my disability benefits. They say they believe I am sick and the documentation is sufficient, yet they keep denying my claim for very vague reasons. I have contacted an attorney, talked to my HR manager, who is just as confused as I am about why they keep denying it, and it doesn't seem to phase Cigna. They didn't mind taking my money every paycheck for the past 2.5 years, but when I need those benefits, they stall at every opportunity. I am dealing with a health issue that is stressful and exhausting on it's own, and Cigna has only added to this stress and I am now more focused on trying to get my disability benefits to pay bills than I am on taking care of my health. This company makes me sick, they treat people like junk and I am shocked that my work chose to go through them after reading the reviews here. I have no idea how they stay in business when they treat people like junk. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to hire an attorney and sue to get my benefits.

July 1st, 2016 Phoenix, AZ

In the day of the Internet Cigna only will use snail mail as a way of delaying paying short term and long term benefits. I have been struggling daily with Cigna to get paid for both short and long term. I have to delay my physical therapy as I have run out of funds dealing with Cigna. When SS Administration tell you Cigna will do every possible not to pay long term they were spot on. Now my ability to return to work is compremised as I have to stop physical therapy delaying my ability to get back what I lost due to a major surgery and delaying my ability to return to work in a timely manner.

May 6th, 2016 Redwood City, CA

I have Cigna through my husband's job. I do not recommend this company if you are planning on actually using out of network providers and submitting claims on your own. My experience is that they will take an average of 3 months, sometimes 9 months, to pay your claim. They will send the claims back saying there is missing information or wrong codes, which is typically not true (based on my follow up calls, CS reps tell me the information is all there and correct). The have also sent payment to my service providers instead of me and then you have to follow up twice with Cigna and you will not receive the check for at least 45 days. Bottom line, be prepared to stay on top of your claims and spend hours on the phone with Cigna if you choose this insurance company. My experience is that CS reps are good. The problems is with the claims processing people and/or automated system.

February 27th, 2016 Orland Park, IL

Cigna refuses to cover annual mammograms.We have been trying for 3 years we always pay full mammogram bill

August 17th, 2015 Social Circle, GA

Cigna's Health Information Line where you speak with a nurse about a health issue is a waste of time. The "nurse" read through a list of questions (repeating some 2 or 3 times) and then said we needed evaluation by a pediatrician. She was clearly reading from a prompt the entire time. I have Google for that. I give it a 1 because she was polite. Just not helpful or knowledgeable.