Though its origins go back 200 years, Cigna was officially founded in 1982 when two companies merged. Since then, the insurance provider has grown worldwide, serving 86 million customers in 30 countries.

Consumers considering health insurance companies need to understand the offered health benefit plans, what each policy covers and what it costs. Is Cigna good?

Cigna has many health benefit plans to choose from. Cigna global health plans are available to independent buyers and businesses whose employees travel or work internationally.

In the United States, Cigna offers a wide selection of health insurance plans and several unique qualities. Cigna offers Medicare plans and HSA-compatible plans. It also provides dental and vision insurance plans.

Cigna also has good member resources for patients. If Cigna health insurance is available in your area and you find a quality, affordable plan, it is a good choice.

Cigna health insurance customer reviews are at the bottom of the page.

#1 Oscar chevron_right
3.3
2.6
#3 Ambetter chevron_right

The Good

• Types of Plans Offered
  • Member Resources
  • Unique Features
  • Customer Service

Types of Plans Offered

First of all, it's important to note that Cigna is a worldwide company, with customers in 30 countries around the world. No matter what kind of coverage or insurance plan a consumer is looking for, Cigna will probably have a good option available.

For health plans in general, Cigna offers a wide selection, including:

• Medicare (Medicare Advantage plans and Part D)
  • Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance)
  • Health Savings Account (HSA) Compatible Plans
  •  (typically high deductible plans)
  • Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) Compatible Plans
  • Health Maintenance Organization Network Plans (HMO)
  • Preferred Provider Organization Network Plans (PPO)

Cigna health care insurance options include indemnity plans and international plans. The one type of health plan that Cigna is unclear about providing is short-term insurance (except for short-term disability insurance).

Like other multi-state insurance companies, the availability of specific plans varies by state.

Covered services tend to be pretty similar across traditional plans, like a Cigna PPO and a Cigna HMO.  However coverage levels, networks, and cost-sharing rules differ. For example, a PPO network offers more options for choosing doctors. It offers coverage and discounted rates for in- and out-of-network providers.

Additionally, some plans require prior authorization for some health care services before the insurance kicks in to help cover the health care costs. The insurance premiums also vary based on the number of people on the plan and demographic information, like age.

Cigna's also offers individual and family dental and vision coverage as well. There are three types of dental plans to choose from, each of which covers a certain percentage of preventive services, restorative, and major dental work. A Cigna dental care plan is available to individuals and families. However, the terms and costs vary depending on the number of people insured.

• Cigna Dental Preventive: This plan has no annual maximum and no deductible! As long as your dental work is completed by an in-network dentist, Cigna covers 100% of preventative and restorative work.
  • Cigna Dental 1000: With this plan, your deductible is either $50 for an individual or $150 for a family. After that, Cigna pays a maximum of $1,000 every year for your dental expenses!
  • Cigna Dental 1500: Deductibles with this plan are the same as the Dental 1000. The difference is that after that deductible, Cigna covers a maximum of $1,500 per year for your work.

Finally, the Cigna Vision Plan uses VSP for insurance and covers an annual eye exam as well as a new pair of glasses or contacts each year. Your copays with this benefit plan depend on your individual plan, however.

Cigna insurance is also available to employers who provide health insurance and other benefits to their employees.

Member Resources

Right away, it's easy to see how Cigna allows you to find an in-network provider, look up coverage, and perform all other basic tasks you need to as a member.

The Cigna website is fairly easy to navigate. Before becoming a member, you can tour the patient portal that Cigna has created for all members. This gets you acquainted with the website and allows you to see what resources you would have as a member.

You can also view the health benefits, coverage, and costs (copayment, deductible, coinsurance, out-of-pocket expenses, etc.) for plans and get a quote of monthly premiums for the plan you're interested in buying. And if you're interested in international insurance, you can get a quote for that too.

If you decide to register with Cigna, your resources expand even more. You're able to, of course, log into your patient portal and view your personal account information. Just as important, you can check a claim's status, acquire an ID card, find the form you need to download, look up your benefits, and find a doctor that works within Cigna's network (if you haven't already verified this).

Members benefit from a dedicated member customer service line as well, and through what Cigna calls the Health Information Line, members can contact the company 24/7. It's important to note, too, that Cigna provides more than explanations about benefits and forms. They also have sections with information about health care in general, including the changing laws, like the Affordable Care Act, that affect the industry.

Unique Features

Cigna is more than its own company. It also functions as the parent company for the following insurance subsidiaries:

• Cigna Group Insurance (which deals primarily with insurance for disability, life, and accidents)
  • Cigna Around the World (life insurance, accident insurance, and supplemental insurance)
  • Cigna HealthCare (mostly insurance for medical, dental, and pharmacy)
  • Cigna HealthSpring (mostly a Medicare company)

Aside from these, Cigna owns Cigna Voluntary, Choicelinx, and Union & Government-all companies that focus on various aspects of the customer experience with insurance.

Aside from providing a fairly large network, Cigna gives members perks like a home delivery pharmacy and discounts on healthy products. These discounts come through the Healthy Rewards program-which, as you can guess, provides rewards for members who want to make healthier decisions in life. These products range from a Lasik procedure to natural supplements, to alternative medicine, to possibly more conventional changes like a membership at a gym.

Cigna also gives members education about health care. Should your doctor suggest that you need an MRI, a PET scan, or a CT scan, you would benefit from the Informed Choice Program. Through this, Cigna informs you about facilities that would charge you the least amount of money for one of these procedures.

Finally, Cigna offers not just one but two mobile apps. With myCigna, the first, you can review your account balance, check a claim's status, find doctors and hospitals, and perform other member tasks. The second app, Cigna Envoy, allows you specifically to get an ID card, check a claim, or contact Cigna with personal health questions.

With 86 million customers around the globe, customer service is important to Cigna. Cigna promises live customer service that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year. You can contact Cigna via mail, email, phone, or live chat. Their mobile apps make communication much more convenient and transparent too. Cigna's company website is intuitive to use overall.

Admittedly, however, it's difficult to find the live chat feature on the website. Cigna's contact page lists several phone numbers, but many of these have specific business hours attached to them. That being said, it's great that Cigna can provide 24/7 customer service, but they would do well to make these means easier to find for both members and potential customers.

Overall, it's clear from the company website that Cigna wants its customers to feel informed and to get the best prices. To help customers with this, Cigna offers convenient tools to look up benefits, acquire discounts, and of course search through available health plans.

The Bad

No Short-Term Insurance

Aside from short-term disability insurance, there's no clear mention of Cigna providing short-term health insurance (one health plan that many other competitors do provide). They ought to be more clear about their stance on this type of plan as well.

The Bottom Line

An insurance plan provides discounts and cost-sharing for medical treatment and care, which can significantly reduce medical expenses.

Overall, Cigna is a recommended insurance provider for consumers. It has a great company history. Those seeking insurance coverage can find a Cigna health insurance plan that meets their needs.

Cigna offers plans that are compatible with HSAs and HRAs. Cigna has HMO and PPO plans, Medicare, and Medigap.

Cigna's network is large, although a customer's access to it depends on the kind of health plan they have. Cost-sharing rules for health care costs also vary based on the benefit plan chosen. Customers can also purchase vision and dental insurance from Cigna.

While it would be nice to have clearer information about their contact points and types of insurance Cigna doesn't offer, it's website still has plenty of resources to help members and potential members be more informed.

The coverage you do get through Cigna will depend on several factors, including your location and health situation and the amount you want to pay for your monthly premiums. Cigna has search engines that are easy to navigate to discover plan options that are available to you.

Individuals who choose a health insurance plan from Cigna, have access to Cigna's member resources and services. Cigna makes it easy to find a primary care physician, specialized doctors, and other health care professionals. Cigna also makes it easy to view the claims process and see the explanation of benefits.

View Best Health Insurance Companies

2.6

yibin wang
August 16th, 2019 Berkeley Heights, NJ DETAILS

The system seems not properly designed, always requested the same information when they got claims, the the 2nd insurer (should already in their system)

Sennelier999
August 11th, 2019 St Louis, MO DETAILS

RUN FROM CIGNA. The worst health insurance company I've EVER had. I received claims for other people MULTIPLE TIMES from all across the country (HIPAA?). They said it must just be that I have a common name. I've NEVER been mixed up with another human by an insurance company in my life before, or after, them. They filed almost every claim with errors. I have one office visit with like eight different EOBs populated for it because they don't have a clue what they're doing. It's still that way to this very day despite being on the phone for hours of my life trying to get them to straighten it out. They blame it on the provider. When I call the providers they say Cigna is just like that. I've never had this happen with any other insurance company before, or after, Cigna. They were what my employer provided for three years. I switched jobs in part to escape this HORRIBLE company. Guess what? They changed the status of a claim from TEN MONTHS earlier, processing it so I owed money...after I had already quit, literally moved on, and discontinued services with Cigna. I received no email or letter from them about the change in status of the claim. I finally logged back into my Cigna account because of another issue that came up and realized six months after-the-fact what they had done.The bill was already in collections by the time I found out I even owed anything. PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF AND CHOOSE AETNA INSTEAD.

Brandon
August 8th, 2019 Baltimore, MD DETAILS

I’ve been experiencing sciatic pain for about +3 months I’ve have been trying a variety of medication and seeing a physical therapist and is unable to work because of the sciatic pain. My job requires me to be on my feet and I can’t constantly be standing and running around. I already did a x ray which didn’t show anything I was recommended to do a mri by my physical therapist. I went to my primary care doctor requested a MRI which he orders so I went to the radiologist and make a appointment which was postponed and later canceled because Cigna never approved my MRI(just requested additional info). After researching online I found out it’s common for Cigna to deny people’s MRIs even if it’s urgent for someone to get a MRI. I been dealing with this pain for 3 months and unable to make a living and to this day I don’t even know what’s causing my sciatic pain cause these crooks are afraid they may find something that would cost them money. Health insurance companies prey on the vulnerable and one day these health insurance companies will get what’s coming for them! Single Payer all the way!

Krystal Taylor
August 2nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT

My family was covered by Cigna for 10 years, and we are extremely grateful for them. My mother who was diagnosed with cancer during this period, was able to receive treatment that saved her life, and not become financially ruined in the process. I had to make several arrangements prior to leaving the country for an extended period of time, and my interactions with their customer service phone representatives were awesome. They were knowledgeable, helpful, efficient and kind

Bill Conrad
August 1st, 2019 Newberry, FL DETAILS

I bought a Cigna advantage Dental plan that offered 100% no deductible coverage for preventive and diagnostic treatment inside or outside network. When I got treated, I was billed for 70% of the bill. Turns out, what Cigna covers is 100% of their “Maximum Allowable Coverage” (MAC) which is only a third of the cost. You are liable for the balance. This is some VERY deceptive wording they use to scam the unwary customer. This company is a predatory, scam , ripoff that preys on Veterans and Seniors!!! Do not but a policy!!! You will be disappointed!!!

Julie
July 31st, 2019 Billerica, MA DETAILS

I have Cigna through my husbands employer and have had it for only 4 weeks now. I had to get Prior Authorization for 2 of my medications and within minutes of them receiving tIhe completed forms from my doctors Denied the medications. One of the medications is Insulin. Cigna has no idea about my medical history and they are denying an insulin that is working for me. They told my doctor that I needed to switch to a different insulin that they are saying I have to use. Cigna IS NOT my doctor. Who are they to make medical decisions for people?? Switching to a different insulin is not that easy. The number of units to take needs to be figured out and that takes months and you have to go through the A1C testing and other things. They denied another medication and said that I had to go on a medication that has at least 26 side effects. And required prior authorization for the medication they said I had to go on. I don't want to be on a medication that has that many side effects (would anyone else)?? I have done a bunch of research on the medication and it scares the crap out of me. It is obvious that money is their number one priority and not the customer. This whole thing is stressing my out, causing severe headaches and is depressing me. I want to know what gives them the right to make medical decisions for people they don't know?? They are not my doctor(s). What gives them the right to play god with peoples lives???? I am still waiting for a call back from Daniella in the Pharmacy Department, but I'm not holding my breath. If this crap continues I will be contacting my attorney.

Sladan
July 5th, 2019 Orlando, FL DETAILS

This is the worst health insurance which i ever dealt with. They offered a policy for my father without any restrictions. They charged us three months of the policy term, my father recently just went to a doctor where just a few days ago he's been diagnosed with cancer. Cigna automatically declined our claim stating that he did have a pre condition, what is totally absurd and not true. Furthermore in order to verify that my father didn't have any medical issues whatsoever prior starting his policy with them they asked me to prove that with his medical records 5 years backwards, i went ahead and provided them with medical record since December 2005. Today is 04/07/2019. After couple days of their " due diligence" i am receiving an email that they are canceling his policy completely, when i asked them why? their agent told me that is the decision of his medical team from Cigna even though they didn't find anything about prior illnesses from my dad since he didn't have any. I am extremely disappointed with this Company, whenever it comes to that they need to charge Your card for the policy there is no delays whatsoever which I would be fine with that if they providing what they said they will, but when it comes that they need to pay something for You in return well that's when the issues are starting. I don't understand what's the purpose of having an health insurance on a first place if You will end up paying everything from Your pocket again anyway. I am escalating entire case to my attorney, because this company should be out of business completely!!!

Chris Baldwin
July 1st, 2019 Hyrum, UT DETAILS

I used Cigna for my health insurance for several years. I found their customer service to be one of the better ones in the insurance industry as I have had tried several over the years.

Angela
June 27th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS

Cigna promptly paid our claims and our plan gave us decent coverage. As with all insurance it seems over priced, but being a necessity we found a plan that offered respectable value for our family of 6. We did have an issue getting our deductible to rollover from our previous plan and that took several months to sort out which was annoying, but it did eventually get resolved. Customer service was so so and frustrating at times.

Gina M
June 24th, 2019 Ballston Spa, NY DETAILS

I purchased Long Term Disability Insurance with CIGNA (LINA) for about 25 years prior to making a claim. The insurance was offered through my employer State Farm. CIGNA covered 2 years of my disability (after the 6 month wait), however now they are performing a two year review for any occupation. An IME (Independent Medical Exam) has been scheduled by CIGNA for me, even though Social Security approved my claim on the first review. My medical records/history is very extensive, covering multiple surgeries and procedures in an attempt to try and make my conditions manageable; however they just keep getting worse. The pain is excruciating, it affects my sleeping, moods, mobility, relationships, everything in my life. It started out with Endometriosis in my mid early to mid-twenties, which ended up in a total Hysterectomy. The Endometriosis developed into Fibromyalgia, which then also was complicated my Diffuse Small Fiber Neuropathy (diagnosed as a result of a Skin Punch Biopsy). This affects my bladder, causing incontinence which is unable to be helped by Rx medications as I am beyond that point. I can wear heavy adult protection, with a heavy pad, all meant for adults with Incontinence, but when stressed it has gone through all my protection, soaking my blue jeans, causing me to have to put a towel on my car seat to drive home. I have Mental and Cognitive issues, which are in large due to my Physical Conditions which are all predicted to stay the same or get worse. There is NO prognosis for the medical conditions to ever get better, and or improve. From the voluminous amount of complaints by claimants about CIGNA on the Internet, I fully expect them to deny my claim as this is standard procedure for the company so their CEO, and VP's can make all the money they do being overpaid for denying valid claims as indicated by past State Insurance Department investigations, fines, rulings. I have a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner, Primary Care Physician, Rheumatologist, and Neuropsychologist who all support my disability and have written letters explaining the same along with what they are basing it on. I also have an Urologist who can support my Bladder/Incontinence issues, along with a prior Pain Management Doctor who after several procedures said there was nothing else he could do for me, as everything he could try was exhausted. I also provided a complete record from my prior Rheumatologist who I went to for years prior to my new one. CIGNA (LINA) has immense amount of test results, history of countless failed procedures performed in an attempt to alleviate my pain and urinary issues with no success, record of past missed work, and medical history which all backs my claim as being legitimate. *It is amazing just how many times CIGNA claims to not have received documentation even though the medical provider or us have included the Incident Number with a cover sheet, and every other place we are sending that information has received it. Also how many times the Medical Examiners reviewing the documentation for CIGNA take only certain words or sentences from a claimants Medical Providers to bolster their case, IE CIGNA Cherry Picks what they want to use, and disregards what does not support CIGNA’s case. For those suffering or those family members and friends going through this: I strongly encourage using this website as a means to voice your issues/concerns, along with writing your State Insurance Department and the Insurance Department for whatever state your disability policy was written in. Also writing the State Insurance Departments that previously investigated and fined CIGNA in the past Connecticut, California, Massachusetts, Maine, and Pennsylvania, as a means of letting those agencies know even though they cannot address your claim (if the policy and or state you live in is not in their jurisdiction) that things have not changed with CIGNA, so hopefully the States reinvestigate CIGNA and fine them again. Your State Legislature, Local Official’s, News Agencies such as Daily Mail, CBS, NBC, ABC, ETC. are all worth writing, along with Social Media and CIGNA’s Executives (once you have your handling Reps Email Address then you should be able to figure out the Executive Email Addresses by using the same format). The more people that fight this Mega Company the more chance they will be held responsible for their crimes of greed, dishonesty, and Bad Faith Claims Handling all for The Powerful Almighty Dollar. CIGNA has a massive amount of Lawyers and Lobbyist to make sure the deck is stacked in their favor, so only through a mass effort can we hope to change Corporate America. ****************************************************************** Update: The CIGNA rep called to advise their doctor (the CIGNA doctor) is waiting for a return call from one of my wife's medical providers, the Neuropsychologist, in the event we wanted to followup to make sure their call is returned. What is amazing is the letter from the Neuropsychologist is very clear regarding the medical issues preventing my wife from working. We feel it is very clear as well that CIGNA contacts the medical providers even if no clarification is needed, in order to skew the statements received in in order to make them support CIGNA's predetermination, that EVERY ONE CAN WORK NO MATTER WHAT. PER CIGNA IF YOU CAN FEED YOURSELF, AND ANSWER THE PHONE, THEN YOU CAN WORK!!!!!! ****Keep this in mind when you are looking into using them for LTD, and consider policies outside of what State Farm offers. Also I read the CEO David C made around 49 Million in 2016. ****************************************************************** The IME is over: The Dr. took 1/2, refused to take any of the paperwork/medical records and supports we brought with us. Said he had everything they needed. This was a JOKE. Called the claims rep, she said they (CIGNA) take the limitations given by my medical providers, then reduce THE LIMITATIONS TO WHAT CIGNA FEELS IS SUPPORTED BY THE MEDICAL DOCUMENTATION (MEANING CIGNA CHERRY PICKS WHAT SUPPORTS THEIR STANCE) AND THEN SEARCHES FOR JOBS I CAN DO (EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT USE MY HANDS TO WRITE OR TYPE DUE TO EXTREME PAIN). ****************************************************************** My husband does all the typing for the complaints. CIGNA would have paid around $46K for the rest of the claim as the are paying $250 which is the policy minimum based on how much I collect from Social Security. Bottom line: CIGNA Owns many politicians as the have many lobbyists and I am sure make many contributions to political campaigns to make sure the laws are in their favor. Fight so others may not get screwed as CIGNA does not believe in paying what they owe, no more, no less! ******************************************************************

T
June 19th, 2019 DETAILS

Had through work. Had different options. Wasn’t happy that when I had an issue with them no one seemed to know how hat steps I needed to take to get it resolved.

Jayde Walker
June 18th, 2019 Provo, UT

Cigna has been such a great insurance for our family! They are always willing to help whenever we call!

Lilly
June 17th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS

I was always intimidated to talk about insurance stuff because I didn’t know a whole lot. But when I had to go pick up some subscriptions. I called Cigna to see what was covered and what wasn’t. And the lady I talked to was an angle. She answered all my annoying questions and told me all the little details about what I could and couldn’t get.

Mrs. R
June 13th, 2019 Red Oak, TX DETAILS

I have been with Cigna 7 years. They were a great insurance to have. 2019 has been the worse experience ever. My husband fell and ripped his rotator cuff. They would not pay for MRI (said he needed 6 weeks of therapy) now if he would have done pt it would have caused more damage. Then the surgeon said he needed surgery. CIGNS DENIED that claim and said they needed to see MRI. ok how do we send images to you? The dr. Office asked, they(Cigna) replied: WE DO NOT KNOW! REALLY. THIS is sad. Any then the money we have had to pay upfront now bc dr. Offices do not trust cigna yo pay. This company has had a good run but time is up. Do not get this insurance Aetna is even better than this.

Jeremy Balls
June 12th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

My experience with Cigna has been nothing but positive. They cover what their policy says they'll cover and have been quick at processing claims. My only complaint is that they don't include most Intermountain Health Care Hospitals.

Dawn Brooks
June 12th, 2019 Millville, NJ DETAILS

Short term disability is a joke Been 4 weeks they still haven't sent the correct forms to the correct doctors I'm getting the run around and my doctor is so confused he doesn't understand the paperwork they are sending him, the mental health questions are a joke they are actually trying to nay say a doctor evaluation who I have gone to for 20 years for same problem, I can not get my own case worker on the phone I keep getting other so called associated people who say all sorts of conflicting statements I actually had one guy tell me they don't approve mental health claims easily because you can't actually see it like you can a broken leg, what??? Are you serious omg how rude. I'm still waiting game fir my case worker to call me after 3 weeks I doubt I'm going to get paid. So nothing like being depressed and stressed and them adding to my condition. They should be held accountable for their incompetence

Sierra Beck
June 12th, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

Insurance through my husband's work. Easy to navigate website, and I do like the chat to answer quick questions. Oh even the app works good

Jennifer Smith
June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

My husband and I worked through this insurance company for close to 10 years through a company that he was working for. Both my husband and I had cancerous surgeries to remove cancerous cells. This health insurance made our lives much easier as much of these costs were covered after we had met our deductible. The biggest challenge with this company is its customer service. I have spent hours upon hours on the phone and feel like I never was able to get the answers that I needed.

Gracie
June 5th, 2019 Dallas, TX DETAILS

We all know insurance providers can be confusing at times, but I've never been more confused on what is covered, vs what is not, than with Cigna. I've received letters stating that basic testing for pregnancy is not covered, and from the sounds of it, Cigna plays by its own rules rather than what has been recommended by the AMA. Although their customer service was kind, I was still lead down a rabbit hole trying to figure out what was covered and what wasn't. There are better services out there. I recommend United Healthcare.

Christina Balls
June 4th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS

Seems to be plenty of in network doctors to choose from and we have not had problems with finding doctors, but as with all insurances, the cost is absolutely ridiculous and unaffordable for most families. Customer service has always been very helpful

Dale L Farmer
June 4th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS

I was somewhat limited in choices but I found a doctor I liked. He ended up not accepting this insurance after a year.

Emily Walker
May 31st, 2019 Provo, UT

Overall they have been very easy to work with and very helpful with questions that I've had.

Dalin Conner
May 30th, 2019 Fallon, NV

Cigna has always been super easy to work with and hasn't failed me yet! The coverage is awesome and covers eyes, dental, and a back surgery (so far). It's extremely hassle free and any issues get resolved quickly.

Shane Duque
May 29th, 2019 Raymond, NH DETAILS

I paid for my insurance for months and they did not pay for two free cleanings that they promised to pay for and did not! So Complete waste of money.

Allison
May 22nd, 2019 Joplin, MO DETAILS

I’ve had Cigna high option through my employer for over 15 years. I have choices of companies and have stuck with Cigna because my drs are in network. However, they use a 3rd party to process preapprovals (Evcore?) and Informed choices that is literally a company to harass you about what the dr has ordered! They called everyday when I was in the hospital after a liver resection to ask why I was still there and when I thought they’d release me. Still in ICU. I’m convinced I was released entirely to soon which lead to other complications because they called daily to talk to me and nurses. They also take a ridiculous amount of time to approve of dr ordered tests and then call you trying to get you to get the test done at the cheapest place they can find. Even if it’s 60miles away. Took almost 3 weeks to get an mri approved for my sons torn ACL. I had to sign a insurance waiver when I showed up for a CT scan and they were still waiting for approval. I had taken off work and when I called they said “nothing they could do. Should be approved by end of business day”. They call you before every procedure to harass you guaranteed! I’ve blocked the number so I don’t have to talk to them.

Nana Asiata
May 21st, 2019 Herriman, UT DETAILS

I love Cigna! They're prompt when I need to call in for coverage information. Most offices we end up at are covered by Cigna which is great!

Rick
May 17th, 2019 Manchester, CT DETAILS

What a horrible experience when you're sick! I have been dealing with Cigna for several years now and each time I talk to an associate, I get wrong, conflicting, and inappropriate information from them regarding claims and coverage. I am shocked at the number of times I have had to explain to my Cigna associate how my deductible works because they are giving me inaccurate information. This includes giving my healthcare provider figures like $4000.00 instead of $400.00 left to meet my deductible. I frequently get disconnected when I am on hold waiting for a supervisor and I am often transferred to wrong departments. I seldom get return calls when I have requested them and I never have gotten satisfaction with the numerous problems I have with coverage. If I had a choice, I would drop this awful insurance company in a minute. You win again, Cigna. You got my insurance premiums (+/- $14000.00 annually) and you got out of paying bills . Shameful!

Stephanie
May 17th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

We have had many health insurance providers and Cigna has been my all time favorite. It seemed like our bills were dramatically lower when we were with Cigna and our premiums were cheap. Look into Cigna if you haven't.

BLF
May 16th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We were with Cigna for several years but didn't like the high co-pay for doctor visits. The physician selection was adequate.

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have had Cigna in the past and they are easy to work with, don't have killer fees and have a great selection of doctors and care specialists available. They are easy to talk to and easy to learn about what I need to do.

Vinh
May 2nd, 2019 Rochester, NY

Last year I had paid an additional premium for the dental insurance through my employer that was contracted to cover orthodontics $1500 (life time maximum) for my son. Early spring 2018 my son got that procedure done. Now March 2019 I just received a bill from my son's orthodontist to pay $289.41 because Cigna won't pay any more to complete that $1500 as contracted to cover for my son's 2018. I called Cigna and found out that Cigna stretched out quarterly payments to my son's orthodontist and canceled the last payment that was falling in this year Spring 2019 even though my son's orthodontic invisalign procedure already done last spring 2018 and told me because I terminated the dental insurance. However, this year 2019 I am still with the same Cigna Dental Insurance through my same employer but I changed to a premium only cover $1000 life time maximum for orthodontics since my family/kids do not need orthodontics right now. Plus, I was already done my part paid the difference for my son's orthodontic procedure last year and I paid the whole year for that premium dental insurance to cover $1500 as contracted. Finally I believe this misleading advertise and wrongful operative business by Cigna. All my coworkers and myself don't like Cigna Dental even my dentist and and it's very hard to find good dentists that accept Cigna Dental. We have tried to convince the employer/HR to change the dental insurance .

Wong
April 23rd, 2019 New York, NY DETAILS

In years of experience with United Health Care and Oxford, my experience with Cigna has been absolutely terrible. Cigna has the worst pay out ratio, the highest rejection levels, and the most frustrating exclusions. I would never pick Cigna if not for the mandatory choice of my employer. Terrible quality - there are many superior insurers.

Mara
April 18th, 2019 Eureka, IL DETAILS

I have had nothing but a horrible experience with Cigna. They’re a mess. I was passed around to three people, one of whom being the lead for their short term disability department. The first person i dealt with didn’t even investigate, and their lead admitted it before passing me off without communication to someone else. My appeal (which occurred due to the first person not doing anything, so if you get Rahim, run.) was then drug our weeks with little to no communication, and now I have an address change that’s been on file and they’re still refusing to send it to my actual address?? Not to mention the complete inadequacy in regards to mental health. Their entire front of being cohesive and open is a joke. I have never had to deal with more inconsiderate and biased people in my ENTIRE life. The only decent person was someone in their call center, who I spoke to to file the first complaint. They will weasel their way out of helping anyone, and focus on the one fine print, neglecting doctor testimonials and even the exact issue at hand. It is disgusting and immoral. Cigna is a waste of money, and an absolute mess. They sent at least ten half faxes to one of my doctors, who was completely confused because it was the exact same thing she had already sent in. Disorganized, i’ll-equipped, and pathetic. Do not waste your time or money.

Gary
April 8th, 2019 Kissimmee, FL DETAILS

I have been with Cigna for 3 years now and I will never go anywhere else. There customer service and claims payout are 2nd to none. I have been able to see specialist without waiting to get a stupid referral from my doctor. My agent has made using this plan very easy to use and understand. For anyone complaining about Cigna maybe you need a better agent, the coverage Cigna provides is incredible and your agent should be there to help you whenever you need it.

Lila
April 3rd, 2019 DETAILS

Very unfriendly process to get reimbursed and unprofessional people. Everything is made to discourage you. When you call the number indicated you have directly the voice mail and of course they never call you back. And when finally you manage to create a claim after 2 hours of persistance to comply with all their criteria, they just remove simply your claim the day after. On top of that they ask a million documents to send by scan but the download size is limited to maximum 2 documents! I wish I had ead the review before subscribing. As it was offered by my company,I thought it was a serious and professional insurance. Obviously they are not: almost 200 review and average is 1 star! (less is technically impossible unfortunately)

Julio
March 26th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS

Executive Response team needs to be evaluated for lack of response and misleading patients. KR the leader for the team has been trying to solve issue on someone using my medical insurance card that was not me for the past 6 month my concern is this will have a negative impact on me as I have not received the services

bill W
March 13th, 2019 Quakertown, PA DETAILS

MYPolicyhq - Cigna is probably the worst Medicare ins company out there. They take forever to pay Part B claims. And when they do finally pay (2 months Later) he claims still do not show up on the website. A user has no way of checking on the status of claims. CIGNA you need to clean up your service.....

Christy Wren
March 12th, 2019 Greenfield, TN DETAILS

The associates at Cigna are polite and helpfu, but the insurance denied several of my claims during a hip replacement. One denial was an ice machine. Cigna would not pay because it is deemed experimental or not a proven treatment. Many other insurances paid for this item because they recognize that ice is an effective treatment for swelling. You may want to read other reviews if you have options in choosing your healthcare.

Danyela Olivares
February 19th, 2019 Delray Beach, FL

The worst insurance company I ever seen. I am giving a 1 start because I can not give a 0. I have an ear infection and I called customer service to get an advice on where to go, they assured me than MD now can resolve my problem, I ask I do not want to go to MD now and pay $75 for them to say we can not resolve your problem here, then the customer service representative told me they sure will resolve your problem and guess what? They did not, they told me that I need to go to an Specialist to drain my ear, that is exactly I was trying to avoid and because of Cigna guarantee me MD now will resolve my problem, I went there. I will definitely cancel this insurance where the customer service is a useless

wayne sanders
February 12th, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

we currently have Cigna as our health care provider. So far Ive found the coverage and service to be quite good. Although we haven't ever had to submit any major claims, When we have had claims submitted they have always been paid in a timely manor.

Tamra
February 12th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

I have had quite a few different insurances over the last 10 years and Cigna has by far been my favorite. I feel like their coverage has been much better.

marlene bennett
February 12th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

Cigna has been our supplemental insurance company with our Medicare for two years now. We have found the cost to be less than most of the other companies. I'm particularly impressed with the customer support and promptness in answering all my questions.

Andrea
February 12th, 2019 Orangevale, CA DETAILS

Very happy with the plan selections Cigna offers their customers. My medical and dental are covered with just one plan.

Amanda Olsen
February 11th, 2019 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

Cigna is Awesome! Love the easy to website that directs you to providers in your area. Prompt and informative EOB's and helpful billing representatives that are patient and courteous.

Sally hughes
February 7th, 2019 Chicago, IL DETAILS

They, whoever They are, at Cigna denied an anti seizure medication for my 81 year old husband. He’s been on it since his first and only seizure. It works. It’s been suggested he try a less costly drug. Anyone who’s witnessed a grand mal seizure can understand our reluctance to play Russian roulette with an unproven drug. World class medicine gave my husband his life back only to be threatened again by a bean counter at Cigna. I’ve spent three hours on the phone, to date, neurology nurse spent a couple of hours dealing with Cigna, Cigna staff spent at least five hours on same. Total cost of person hours would have paid for the right drug. Stupid

Amanda
February 7th, 2019 Schaumburg, IL DETAILS

WORST INSURANCE COMPANY EVER- Their customer service is non-existant. I quit smoking back in December- completed their smoking cessation program (which entailed some guy talking to me about how he brushes his teeth?!?) and am STILL getting charged for being a smoker because they cannot figure out how to send information to my benefits team. I have talked to over 15 people, supervisors, etc. No one returns calls except to tell me they need 10 more business days to look into this. They were the once I completed the program with! What is so confusing about this process? I am already out an additional $300 because of their incompetene. I hate their company with a passion and hope their go bankrupt.

Emily
February 7th, 2019 Lindon, UT DETAILS

We changed insurance to Cigna in the last year. Their customer service is helpful and will take the time to help you sort things out. It is also very simple to figure out which places you have coverage at.

Ann Bailey
February 6th, 2019 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Prior to being married, I carried Cigna insurance. I wasn't impressed. I was frustrated on being limited to certain doctors I could go to.

kerry perez
February 4th, 2019 Orem, UT DETAILS

Im a current Cigna customer, i havent had to worry about anything with doctors, they've helped me with all the questions that i've had. Love the app, makes it easy to show ID!! highly recommend it

janalee sanders
February 1st, 2019 Valley Center, CA DETAILS

we have had Cigna Health insurance for a couple years now. I was worried about switching providers but we haven't had one issue so far with Cigna. Any claims we have had have been paid in a timely manner and without problem.