Ambetter Logo

Ambetter

6.5

Ambetter insurance specializes in health insurance plans on the Health Insurance Marketplace in twelve states. These plans are also sometimes called Obamacare plans. Ambetter health plans are operated by the Centene Corporation. If you're looking for another kind of plan or don't live in an Ambetter service area, you'll need to consider other health insurers.

report_problem

Attention: Ambetter is a very unpopular health insurance company.

It has received a 1.4/5 star rating from reviews left on Best Company. Roughly 87 percent of the Ambetter reviews on Best Company gave a 1-star rating. Complaints against Ambetter include poor customer service, difficulty with pre-authorization, and high costs for limited coverage. Most customers do not recommend buying healthcare coverage from this insurance company.

View Ambetter Reviews and Complaints

Ambetter health insurance's covered services include preventative and emergency care, therapy, behavioral health help, medications, maternity, and hospitalization. It is an on-exchange health insurance option in the Health Insurance Marketplace.

Health Insurance Marketplace plans offer comprehensive health insurance coverage. For health plans to be on the Marketplace, they must be a qualified health plan that covers the essential health benefits listed in the Affordable Care Act.

To enroll in Ambetter insurance, you need to apply during Open Enrollment. The Open Enrollment period for 2021 healthcare coverage runs from November 1, 2020 to December 15, 2020. If you missed the enrollment period, you may qualify for a Special Enrollment Period after December 15, 2020 if you have a Qualifying Life Event.

The Good

• Health Insurance Plan Options
  • Helpful Online Account
  • Member Perks
  • My Health Pays™
  • Dental and Vision Coverage

Health Insurance Plan Options

If you're looking to get an Ambetter plan, you can view health plans by first selecting the state you live in and then selecting the type of health plan tier you're most interested in. From there, your options open up to several different plans with varying prices and benefits.

Ambetter Health Insurance Marketplace plan options include: Ambetter Essential Care (Bronze Plan), Ambetter Balanced Care (Silver Plan), and Ambetter Secure Care (Gold Plan).

Each plan offers insurance coverage for the essential health benefits listed in the Affordable Care Act, but the cost-sharing rules for medical expenses are different for each tiered plan option.

Members with Ambetter Essential Care pay lower premiums but have higher out-of-pocket expenses.

Ambetter Balanced Care, the Silver Plan, offers higher premiums and a lower out-of-pocket limit.

Ambetter Secure Care has higher monthly premiums, but the lowest out-of-pocket expenses of the three plan types.

For specific coverage and cost information, including the deductible, out-of-pocket expenses, and premium costs, you'll need to work with Ambetter directly. Depending on your income, you may qualify for a tax credit subsidy on your monthly premium.

Helpful Online Account

Each Ambetter member has access to an online portal through which they can make all of their payments, view healthcare plan benefits, and take care of logistics like obtaining a member ID card. The member portal offers extra features, too, such as providing reminders for members when they are due for another doctor's visit or allowing them to take a health risk assessment to determine which steps they can take to live healthier.

Members can track their claims 24/7 through the online portal, as well as connect with member services at any hour of the day.

Member Perks

Ambetter provides more than just logistical tools for members. Many of the extra features it offers also send the message that Ambetter wants members to get healthier and stay healthier. These tools include a 24/7 nurse hotline that members can access for questions and medical needs.

There are also health-promoting programs to support members with dealing with behavioral health and maternity and newborn care. Ambetter offers 24/7 Nurse Advice Line and integrated health management to enhance members ability to get the most out of their medical care.

Ambetter also offers telehealth access with some of its plans. With telehealth, members can have phone or video access to in-network providers for non-emergencies.

My Health Pays™

My Health Pays™ is Ambetter's rewards program to provide incentives for members to live healthier with better habits. You can earn money for taking a survey provided by Ambetter, getting a flu shot or having your wellness exam. This money can go toward your next premium. Members can be reimbursed for gym membership payments as well. This rewards program promotes health and well-being among Ambetter members. While this program is great, it's only available in some of the states Ambetter services.

Dental and Vision Coverage

Dental and vision coverage are available with Ambetter, but the benefits and availability of each are entirely specific to the state you live in and the type of health plan you choose.

Dental benefits, for example, is not available in Texas, but vision insurance is. Dental coverage includes exams, cleanings, and screenings, overall, and vision benefits include yearly eye exams and glasses or contacts. Those seeking vision coverage and dental benefits in addition to health insurance can find options through Ambetter.

Get Quote

The Bad

• Poor Customer Reviews
  • Access to Plan Information
  • Limited Service Areas
  • No Mobile App

Poor Customer Reviews

Ambetter has received an overwhelming number of 1-star reviews on Best Company. These Ambetter reviews mention difficulty getting medication and treatments approved for coverage, issues with claims that were difficult to resolve, frustration with customer service, and difficulty finding an in-network provider.

With such a high number of 1-star reviews, you'll likely be better served choosing another insurance provider if you can.

Access to Plan Information

It's somewhat difficult to access specific information about the types of health plans Ambetter has. Its website primarily just explains the metal tiers (gold plan, silver plan, and bronze plan) as well as how essential health benefits are covered by every plan.

To find out what kinds of plans these are, such as Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Preferred Provider Organization (PPO), not to mention what prices and benefits you qualify for (like out-of-pocket expenses, copayments, deductibles, covered services specifics,and if you need prior authorization for certain medical services), you'll have to contact a representative.

Upfront, it's important to know that Ambetter is part of the Health Insurance Marketplace (HIM). It's Centene's option for HIM plans, which are intended for people who don't have health insurance and maybe don't qualify for typical plans.

Ambetter only offers Marketplace plans. If you are looking for another kind of insurance plan, like a short-term health insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid, you'll need to find another insurance carrier.

Limited Service Areas

Ambetter plans are available in a some states. These include Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, Ohio, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin. If you don't live in any of these states, then you'll need to consider another insurance provider.

Even if you do reside in one of the states they service, make sure to check the location of their in-network providers (e.g. a primary care physician, specialist, etc.) for your state to ensure they have an in-network provider near you.

No Mobile App

Unlike many of its competing insurance companies, Ambetter doesn't have a mobile app. Some companies provide this for enrollees to access their accounts right from their phones, making communication and logistics much easier. Ambetter hasn't provided this yet, making account management slightly less convenient than with other companies.

The Bottom Line

Ambetter should be somewhat of a last resort when choosing an affordable health insurance company. While its plans all have decent health coverage for preventative care and some vision and dental benefits, it is difficult to access full details of its various plans. Data points such as the annual maximum out-of-pocket limit and co-pays are difficult to find on the website.

Plan cost and deductible levels vary among plans. Availability depends on location. Cost is also affected by the number of people on the plan and some demographic information, like age.

While Ambetter's plans offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, it's important to review customer reviews to get a sense of Ambetter's quality — health plans, value, cost, and customer service — and compare Ambetter to other health insurance companies before making a final decision about signing up for an Ambetter plan.

Call our recommended rep over at Ambetter below.

1.4

matt Seattle, WA

The worst part of getting food poisoning was having to deal with Ambetter. Sure, I experienced debilitating pain and frequent vomiting, but that was nothing compared to what Ambetter put me through. They repeatedly told my health care providers that my coverage had been cancelled, while telling me that it was still active. As a result, every time I sought care from Ambetter's emergency nurse line, I was refused help. It took repeated calls and hours on hold just to get taken care of. That frustration, fear, and helplessness was far more distressing than the intense pain that I experienced. Given the choice between food poisoning and Ambetter, I'd take food poisoning.

John B Concord, NH

After losing my job and health insurance with the Covid layoffs I signed up for Ambetter NH Healthy families. It seemed to be a reasonably priced plan at $344 monthly. With the unemployment insurance when I did my taxes, and was declined the tax credit it came out to $794 monthly with a $6000 deductible and maximum out of pocket. I had met my deductible and maximum out of pocket by November 20, 2020. I had to go to the Emergency Room on December 24 by ambulance. My plan clearly states that after the deductible and out of pocket are met they will cover 100% of ambulance BOTH in network and out of network. On a $864 bill they paid 465 and said that the rest was my responsibility. I called to discuss this, they spoke with me for half an hour, gave me a reference number to refer to when calling back in a week. I called back and it was like I was calling again for the first time. The operator I spoke to kept communicating with her supervisor, who first said that I used an out of network ambulance and that was the reason for them not paying. When I explained that it didn’t matter according to my plan’s coverage, and says exactly that on my portal, they said “Well that’s the most the insurance company is going to cover for an ambulance. You have to pay the rest yourself”. They are completely dishonest, what the policy says totally doesn’t mean anything. I want to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They should be put out of business. I’m not paying the bill, since I’m 100% right and have it in writing on my plan page. When the collection agency gets on it I’m saying it is not a legitimate claim.

Mikey Parks Los Angeles, CA

I had misleading balance readings in my account and was then punished with massive late fees. Specifically, the balance in my online account said I owed zero dollars for a couple months due to "premium tax credits". A month later I checked back in to find a $175 charge (I'm generally paying about $60 per month). I wasn't able to call customer service because it was the weekend, and the NEXT DAY the charge reads $275. I finally got customer service on the line, who acted like I was crazy for being confused. I cancelled my policy.

Kristy A. Cuyahoga Falls, OH

I would give 0 stars if I could. It is the WORST insurance I have ever had. They deny everything including a preventative mammogram which in order for them to be a part of the Affordable Care Act they can't charge for preventative mammograms. Customer service is horrible. No one ever knows anything and you can never get any answers as to why they deny the claims. And you will get a new reason every time you call and talk to a new representative. AVOID this insurance at all costs!!!!!! It isn't worth the low premiums because you will pay for every service and they will cover nothing. I got their best plan at $426/mo and they still don't cover!

Jessie B Chicago, IL

Working with ambetter customer service for almost 3 months was the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life. The employees take your number in case you get disconnected, however they do not call back if a disconnect occurs. On more than 5 occasions, I explained my situations and got hung up on by customer service because they seemingly didn’t want to deal with the complexity of my situation. This was not a disconnect, they had my number to call back, they sounded unpleased and you could hear a phone click every time. At times it was me asking to speak to a supervisor, as soon as I asked to speak to a supervisor, they would hang up the phone. Never was my situation ever handled by the same person, which made this a hundred times more difficult. I spend so much time retelling and retelling this story to new employees who had to be caught up on the situation, only to try the same thing that the last employee tried and then to say good luck and part ways with nothing changed. I was a huge inconvenience trying to get my money back for the time period in which I could not use my card, not to mention the time I took every day to try to resolve these matters. No reimbursement was ever given. To top it off, most the doctors listed on the ambetter website are fake or old listings. I paid additionally money for a ambetter dental plan, I was unable to ever go to a dentist because the dentists listed on their site either don’t work where ambetter says they work, they don’t actually take ambetter insurance, they work in an entirely different state, or they are no longer in business. Please see the examples below. These fake listing are not just in the dental. They have occurred in PCP, physical therapists, and chiropractors. Filed a BBB complaint, and when they did get back to me they investigated everything 3 months after. I could not use my insurance all of January until the 28th when they finally gave me the card numbers to get my meds at the pharmacy. Since I finally could use the card on the 28th they said I had to pay for the full month of January and they would not reimburse me. Not to mention still never being able to see a dentist when I paid extra for a dental plan with them because of the fake doctors listed on their website. Over 20 dentists in my area are all fake listed and DO NOT TAKE AMBETTER. Save yourself money and stress and do not ever get this insurance. They do not even pay for basic labs that other insurances do. If you get normal physical blood work done it is gonna cost you 300 dollars. Even my pap smear cost money (a service that is something to be covered but ambetter always finds a way to make you pay something). They will never care about their members even if you are on tears on the phone crying because of the damages done to your health when your insurance was "active" but they wouldnt let you use it for 28 days. I could have died and their response was well you used it on the 28th so we will not reimburse you anything.

Emmanuel Yeboah Columbus, OH

I'm not the type to leave reviews but people deserve to know STAY AWAY from this company. They have cheap prices but you will be denied medical services and they WILL send you incorrect billing. They are legal fraudsters STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY! STAY AWAY!

JohnHammond Chicago, IL

The company's network consists of all the most ghetto doctors and dentists in your neighborhood. They have issued me statements that I didn't pay my monthly premium and the website will show my coverage is slipping, yet I am enrolled in auto pay and payment had already been charged. I have even requested ID cards multiple times and have yet to receive anything. I'm switching off Ambetter at the soonest possibility.

Barbie St Louis, MO

If I could give a zero I would. I signed up for Ambetter because the provider I had been seeing was listed on their web site as being participating only to find out when needed the doctor was not. When to yet another clinic in my area who was supposed to be participating according to their web site finding out they too are not accepting Ambetter. I live in a very rural community with not a lot of options. Choosing Ambetter because your doctor is shown as participating and then they are not is fraud.

B Chestnut Philadelphia, PA

DON'T DO IT. 0000/10. awful experience with women's health issues. They do not cover OBGYN's, birth control, literally nothing. I have been on the phone with customer service for hours on end with absolutely no resolution to anything. You might as well just take the cash in your wallet and throw it in the garbage when deciding to enroll with Ambetter. More like I amWORSE off.

Smileeys Hattiesburg, MS

I wish more people would write the state and general area they live in for these reviews because it seems to make a difference. I live in South Mississippi and Ambetter has overall been a good insurance for me. I work part time and would be on disability or unemployed if I didn't have a wonderful employer who allowed me to go from full to part. However, I am no longer eligible for health insurance through work so I had to go to the marketplace. I actually have better insurance paying very little than my work family does. They have united healthcare and have had so many problems. I am one of the ones the affordable care act has helped tremendously. One thing I really like about ambetter is they have a rewards system that is not hard to do. You get points for flu shot, answering simple questions, watching health videos, etc. I was able to earn $250 this year easily that I paid my electric with. There are only certain bills you can pay or they have merchandise you can get. CVS quit taking my insurance this year but I went to another pharmacy that I discovered I like better. I pay zero dollars for my medication (I take 9 a day) and copays for primary and specialists. What plan you get depends on your income, though. We are a family of four with income around $36,000 for reference. The bad is that they require pre authorization but that's any insurance. They have denied some but then approved it later all except for one. My neurologist really didn't like my insurance and kept telling me they wouldn't approve this or that and I quit seeing him. Probably should have stopped sooner really because that wasn't only problem. I haven't had much contact with live customer service so I can't offer much insight there but I'm often called by automated service to check in with me or tell me about new info. It's equal parts annoying and helpful. They also keep calling to tell me they've noticed I'm not taking my heart medication right but don't say what it is. I don't take heart meds but do take blood pressure meds. Anyway, that's just mildly annoying. On my plan they do not pay for pain management and regular doctors pretty much can't prescribe anymore so that is difficult since I'm in pain almost constantly. They have telehealth and 24 hour nurse's line but I've never used it.

JR Rocky Top, TN

Worst company ever for health insurance, will not approve any medical supplies needed for someone who has been type 1 for almost 30 years, don't choose this company for your needs

Katie Spring, TX

My husband went for annual wellness exam. He received a bill charged to his deductible. Contacted the provider and she said that she correctly submitted the preventative codes. Filed a complaint with Ambetter since Oct 2020 until now ( March 2021). Every time we submitted the complaints and we received back a letter saying that " we will mail the answer to your complaints within 30days" ! Nothing happens but just some random person gave me different (verbal) answers. I spent so much time to work with this issue and no solutions yet. This complaint/Grievance department service is really horrible. Stay away from this company if you don't want to receive a surprise bills and no-one seems responsible for complaints filed.

Cayamarie Springfield, MO

Had no issue with ambetter the first like 3/4 yrs I had it. It was somewhat of an issue finding a provider. Come this year, I went to pick a prescription up to which I had to pay in full. I called ambetter, just for them to say that I was missing a payment. A $350 payment! I had absolutely no clue where it came from. Then I got February's bill and it is $400. I called once for them to tell me that my account was terminated then again that same afternoon (their system went down and had to call back later) for them to tell me that the $400 is what I pay a month. I should have reviews before getting it. I'm just gonna be canceling it. Hopefully I can, but seems to me I will have issues with it (from reading other reviews)

R. M. Boca Raton, FL

Overall, I like Ambetter 1000x more than past plans I've had, like Humana and BCBS, which were outrageously pricey AND retroactively denied coverage for life-saving treatments, leaving me over $30K in debt. Of course there are pros and cons to every plan, but I stick with Ambetter because the positives far outweigh the negatives. So, for the good: it's affordable, I've had good customer service experiences (once they accidentally denied a claim, saying it was out of network, but quickly corrected this after a phone call), my copays aren't bad (this is important as I'm chronically ill and frequently see multiple specialists), they have a free health coaching plan, and I absolutely love the providers I found. I noticed that the providers' actual billing staff cause most of the billing errors, not Ambetter. The bad: Providers are hard to find, and while copays (like $8 for a PCP visit) are low, coinsurance is NOT. While they've allowed me to receive stellar mental health care, the same can't be said for my back. They required 5 weeks of PT before authorizing an MRI, with me paying 40% out of pocket for each session (I met my out of pocket max, so MRI was 100% covered). Meanwhile, they denied a back brace and stopped covering the pain medication I need to function. The MRI showed a mess: disc bulges, stenosis, degeneration, and bone spurs (and I'm in my 20s). Ambetter initially denied epidural steroid injections. HOWEVER - I've had a LOT of luck with providers winning appeals. My pain med is covered. My injections are authorized as far as I know (they wanted 5 weeks of PT, but I told them I'd done that, so they fixed it). I love all my providers. Yes, some stuff is a real hassle, but I'm very satisfied with Ambetter.

Meagan Mueller Chattanooga, TN

This is my second year as an Ambetter customer, and I plan to renew my plan with them for 2021. The coverage is better than any employer provided health insurance I’ve ever had, and at an incredibly reasonable price. The customer service reps are always helpful and usually go above and beyond to help, most of my prescriptions and doc visits are 100% covered or have a super low co-pay, and there are plenty of doctors and nurse practitioners in their list of providers.. I don’t know what the complainers are expecting, but this health insurance company is doing a great job.

Dali Dallas, TX

If you follow the rules of using in-network providers for both diagnostics and physicians, there will be no surprise billings. I made sure my primary care physician on paper was affiliated with a local community hospital so that I’m covered and in-network in case of an emergency. I have never had a problem getting authorization for drugs, but sometimes the pharmacies will actually lie (not Ambetter’s fault) and tell you,”It isn’t covered by your insurance,” when all you needed was a pre-auth. I always check with Ambetter directly. I never trust the doctor office staff nor the pharmacy staff to sue the due diligence. I guess I’m cynical that way, because I used to work in healthcare. I think it’s easy for people to blame this insurance company, and usually people only take time to write reviews when they are angry. If you follow the rules of the Ambetter system, and make sure you use in-network providers, you won’t have to deal with appeals over billing later. Work smarter, not harder folks! Also, being kind to customer service goes a long way. I mean, I had a lengthy convo with a rep who was absolutely outstanding and sweet. She took the time to explain how everything works, because healthcare gets complicated with deductibles and all, and even I needed some questions answered. I am so happy that I chose Ambetter and not a cheaper company, because you really do get what you pay for, right?

Paula Palinsky Houston, TX

My eleven years son needs medical attencion and they never put him on health insurance. he was in venezuela , i need to change my plan and they never change it, they are charging me a bill for 1000$ for lab test, really?, i am always calling yhem and the health market, and always the same: THEY NEVER HELP ME. The worst insurance ever.

Victoria Chase ,

A supervisor for Ambetter is on vacation and we need critical care. Ambetter does not have a back up plan for the supervisors work load? I need a surgery and they told me they don't check their messages but once a week. Unprofessional, awful response time, Centene should not have laid off those employees in February 2021. Get your work done so we can get healthy AM NOT BETTER.

Disgusted Lincolnton, GA

This company is breaking the law and getting away with it. Under the Affordable Care Act they cannot cancel insurance except for non-payment or fraud/misrepresentation. Cancellations require a 30 day notice in writing so that the usered person can obtain another plan through the Marketplace as a special enrollment. In my case, as of January 2021, they have deon neither, and I am now out of the blue, in the middle of a pandemic without health insurance. I had coverage with them in 2020, and used it for vision, dental and general doctor checkups. Finding anyone would that take this insurance proved a challenge initially. I paid for a new similar plan (with increased premiums and increased co-pays/deductables of course - pay more for less as always) via the Marketplace in November to start January, 2021, and paid by credit card my firs month's new premium in December. All seemed ok, Ambetetr sent me a new Welcome 2021 pack with plan and new insurance cards with Coverage Effective from 01/01/2021. On january 17th I presented my new card to my pharmacy for my refoill for high blood pressure medication, and was told my coverage had been 'cancelled' - so I had to pay in full for them. I have never missed a monthly payment or co-pay or anything, and have copies as proof from their statement/billing on their website. The following day it took 3 calls to Ambetter and 3 calls to the Marketplace to get NOWHERE. The Marketplace says I have a plan that Ambetter has cancelled but no reason has been given, so I can't simply enroll in a new one, they also say I have to deal with Ambetter about this. Ambetter, of course, tell me I have to deal with the Marketplace. The worse thing is that each of the three different customer service agents I spoke to at Ambetter eithe lie, do not know whatt ehya re doing and ALL refused to pass me to a Supervisor when they admitetd there was nothign they could do. One stated I didn;t have any insurance for 2021, and denied I had a new card for 2021 from them wheich I had in my hand! One said he'd speak to a superior and put me on hold and after 20 miutes of loud call waiting music the call was, surprise, surprse, terminated his end. He said he would call me back, but did not. The final customers service agent was downright rude and evasive, and said they would transfer me and actually only sent me back to the Marketplace. Ambetter has 'cancelled' my new policy for 2021 for no known reason whatsoever, which was purchased through the Marketplace but did not notify me, they returned my first month's paid premium online halfway through the month as if by doing so this made the customer just disappear. I have now had to make appeal through their system which I doubt will result in anything, and one through the Marketplace. I recmooned anyone having trouble with this company do the same, perhaps even lawyerup as their breaking the law as regards their requirements under the Affordable Care Act, 2010, might be worthy of a class action suit - I am sure they are doing this to others all over the country. I have written to the CEO of the company as below, again, I recommend anyone do the same. Point out their own words, which is the very opposite of how it seems Ambetter treats its customers. I suspect they are an Obamacare mohey-grab set-up to pocket as much of anyone's tax credit they can get + premiums paid whilst providing almost no true health care to their insured. This must be the end result of the Affordable Care Act, a clever ruse to transfer tax dollars and pooer people's hard-earned money to the already wealthy. Nothing changes, does it...

briasativa Dallas, TX

I had Ambetter in Georgia and it was great. I never had problems finding a doctor nearby, it covered my prescriptions, reasonable co-pays and deductibles. I loved it! Since moving to Texas it has gone down hill fast. The website isn't working properly. I can't see my Rewards information, there are hardly any doctors available. I live in DALLAS. It's not like a small town or something. All the doctors I did find (that didn't have their own horrible reviews) ended up being mistakes. When trying to make a first appointment they all informed me they no longer take Ambetter. When I called customer service they couldn't get any better results than I could. What happened?! I'm going to have to change plans just, so I can find a doctor to go to. I have no complaint about the actual insurance but if you can't find a doctor it's worthless. Ugh.

Colleen Sheahan ,

I use AM Better for doctor visits, preventive screenings, and medication only. I have had no issues, also get great customer service help. If you pay your monthly premium, stay in network, and do not need surgeries, this plan will work for you

Kristin Slink Atlanta, GA

I honestly couldn't say anything bad about Ambetter and feel compelled to write a review based on its one star rating. Disclaimer: I live in Atlanta proper, so I have Emory locations all around me. Access was easy and although scheduling my annual appointment wasn't instant (several months out) I have very limited needs, so this worked for me. I am not going to boast about the price, but compared to the other offers, it was pretty reasonable. I will not comment on the overall status of government healthcare. I don't understand how we are supposed to afford it, but this is not the fault of Ambetter. When I was offered benefits through my employer and had to cancel my plan, the person who helped me was extremely polite and helpful. I was able to submit a request to refund my recent payment and she went through my account to remove my cards so I wouldn't get an auto payment. No issues at all. Very happy. Give them a chance!

Heidi Turner

I love Ambetter! My place of employment is now offering Insurance so I'm going to loose coverage since I'm in with Markplace. Ambetter has been great! I don't want to switch. They approved without even hearing the arguement I was ready to take on, a very expensive liver medication that I had been trying to get for years. It was even delivered to my door step. They have also approved all my husbands medications which are also very expensive. Our co-payments are low and they cover our family of four at a reasonable price considering the market. I'll be so sad if they say I have to get the company insurance at renewal.

CinderUgly Maple Valley, WA

I don’t understand all the bad ratings going towards AmBetter’s medical insurance, I can only attribute that to people who aren’t looking at the plans being offered more closely and choosing the wrong plan that don’t fit more true to your health. Also, most of the time, it’s either the doctors office or the hospitals that are the problem. Billing procedures not pre authorized, care under doctors that are not covered on your plan, billing incorrect codes, causing problems with out of network charges to appear. I took months looking at plans for me and my husband, and came across AmBetter, under ACA Plans. If it’s about your health take the time to READ your plan, the whole plan! I took my age 50+ & husband 60+, and the type of Health plan I was hunting for. ****1.) Most Important!!! It had to cover a total catastrophic event, (stuff happens) what type of plan would cover that and not put me in the poor house, with affordable deductible & affordable out of pocket, or preferably one that combines both, so deductible & out of pocket are one total, with copays that goes toward that? 2.) Very Very Important- Once my affordable deductible is met, what do they cover 100%??? It has to be 100% after deductible is met... not this 20/80 garbage. So make sure it’s 100% after you’ve met your deductible, and once that’s met you best take advantage and get things done that you’ve been holding back, because they weren’t an emergency, but should be done, such as; colonoscopy, prostate exams, breast exams, health check & bloodwork (most plans cover this for free, because it’s considered preventative maintenance). We are fairly healthy, or I should say we don’t see doctors very often, so paying maybe once or twice at the doctors office yearly is... normally affordable. Mine was all about catastrophic events that could happen and a lower deductible with co-pay that goes toward my deductible and my out of pocket costs were my main goal, not to go broke. 3.) who are the Hospital’s they sponsor... are they close and who are their doctors? Then look up those doctors (people review them online), theres always one with high stars you can review. 4.) If you can... find on the same plan, “ No Referrals“ for seeing any doctor you want to visit, (not always available, very few available) my didn’t offer that. 5.) “NEVER, NEVER Let a doctor or procedures done to you WITHOUT prior approval from your Health Insurance!” I can’t repeat that enough! That is a must, never waver! That’s why I always know where my hospitals are under my coverage, there is always doctors in emergency covered under your plan, if you use hospitals under your plan.. If you are coherent, ask for procedures to be preapproved by AmBetter or any insurance company for that matter, and that the people that are doing the procedures are covered and registered with a Ambetter or what ever Insurance your using. Normally, there is a person on staff that her/his responsibility is to make sure things flow with getting all of this pre-approved while your in emergency. Take huge advantage of that, you’ll need it. “(Always have someone, loved one or who ever is your emergency contact knows your plan, in case of being unconscious when arriving at the hospital). “ 5.) keep in contact with your insurance and write down who you talked to and a reference number, if you need it for fixing a billing problem. Ambetter agents are very helpful, and if you get one that isn’t understanding or not getting you where you need to go, don’t feel intimidated to ask for someone else, with new ears. That’s their job. My plan had dual as one total; deductible/out of pocket $5100 total deductible, with copays that went towards that deductible. I had a TIA stroke this year, went into Emergency on my own cognizance (catastrophic event) hit my deductible of course, but I was willing to pay the $5100, and had set aside most of that amount just for this reason. My plan covered 100% of ALL charges after deductible was met. Xrays, MRI, CAT Scans, neurosurgeon visits and months of testing to determine what happened and it turns out it was a TIA stroke. This was part of my policy. The costs that I would have been billed were unimaginable... at the cost around $70k, then all was said and done, cost me $5100. So what I’m trying to say is that looking for catastrophic insurance over conventional insurance is ten fold in the long run for people over 50. Now I’m up for renewal for same policy plan, but now the deductible is $5200+ Soooo... now I have to wave if I can afford that new increase or find another plan. I’ll probably stick to the same plan, since there is always financial help if needed... still that’s a far cry from paying $70k to only paying $5100. So AmBetter does have great plans out there, but like anything... do your research, know what your looking for and READ your policy, always get referrals if needed, a MUST get pre-approved procedures prior to having them performed, and always make sure that all the people providing your care are sponsored by your insurance, and if you have questions, speak to an agent. keep in mind that ALL medical insurance company’s now required you to be responsible for your own care under their policies, and all require you to make sure you know these procedures and most of all using ONLY in-network pre-approved procedures and pre-approved doctors are used under your plan. Hope all that made sense, even if I did repeat myself. Good Luck!

Wayne Jackson Douglasville, GA

My experience have been good, got the insurance for my wife, she had to spend one night in the hospital and the total bill came to over $14,000, Ambetter paid all of it. Never had an issue finding a providing. I live outside of the Atlanta and do no have issues find a provider. If you do not live around a large city then you will most likely have issue finding a provider in your area. Also make sure you call all of your Doctors that you wish to stay prior to signing up. I worked in the Ambetter Call Center, the Provider list that they have is not up to date. Do your homework prior to joining and everything will work out.

LD Darien, GA

I was scared to get the Ambetter from Peach State Health Plan after reading all of the bad reviews on here but it was all that was offered in the Marketplace for my area. I have been very happy. I have had their insurance for nearly 6 months and they have paid everything promptly with no issues. Of the nearly $6000 we have only had to pay a little over $100. I have had no problem finding doctors, although I must say they all have to be affiliated with the local hospital. Sure, I'd rather have better choices but I really did not expect more. I have been happy with every doctor or NP I have seen, especially my NP. I have no problem with their website either, including earning rewards on the visa and using it to pay my phone bill. We have not had health insurance for many years and this has given us peace of mind. I have not had to call them but I did message them on the portal a few times and got a quick response. It would be better if they sent an email saying they had replied though. I had to keep checking the message box. We thank God our health has been cleared except for a few small issues, thanks to Ambetter.

Brittany Lawrenceville, GA

I have had AmBetter since July 2018. I have read the majority of the hundreds of these reviews and it seems as though folks either didn't have other options and also didn't do adequate research about whether the physicians, hospitals and urgent care centers that they prefer were covered by the AmBetter plan they were considering. I went with an AmBetter 4 (which is a Silver plan on healthcare.gov), I have a low deductible ($600) and 100% co-insurance after my deductible is met. I pay $0 for my medications and since I am self-employed, I actually pay the full amount of what this insurance premium is per month (roughly $400/month.) I have on-going health issues that they haven't penalized me for, I have received all of my 3-month prescriptions without issue as well as over 15 other Rx's that are monthly. (As I said, I have seriously, life-threatening, on-going health issues.) I just spent 8 days in the hospital being discharged on 03/30, today is 04/07/19 and ALL of the hospital bills ARE PAID IN FULL. Again, I did extensive research before selecting AmBetter as my provider. I am very pleased with them and have zero complaints. Again, I pay my premium on time, researched my physicians before selecting their insurance and understood what type of plan I was selecting. Doing your research instead of expecting someone else to do it out for you is the truth behind the majority of the complaints in all honesty.

Kaye C. Marietta, GA

My experience with AMBETTER for the 2018 year has been GREAT. My husband has been to the ER three times and hospitalized one time. All the bills were paid promptly. We both have had a lot of doctor visits and several diagnostic procedures without any problems at all. All of these extremely negative reviews are terrifying and scary as it is time to pick a company for 2019. I only had two choices form 2018, either Ambetter or Kaiser and Kaiser is a true HMO so that was out. The reason I pick AMBETTER is that All the hospital systems in the Atlanta area were included: Emory, Piedmont, and Wellstar. When I have searched for doctors, there any dozens for each specialty. I don't know if my great experience is driven by my location and the fact that we are in the metropolitan Atlanta area or not. Good luck and Good health to all.

Laverne Williams Irving, TX

I am a healthcare reimbursement professional with may years of experience, I file claims for various physicians, code medical records and perform physician credentialing. Currently, I do not qualify for AmBetter health plans but anytime I have needed to call to verify patient benefits, check health claim status or get an authorization for services or just so I that can help redirect a patient appropriately, every customer service person I have spoken with at AmBetter has been helpful, courteous and professional. Answering all of my questions with care and great attention to detail. As a patient, its better to allow your doctors office to handle things for you but try to be clear when attempting to get answers from your insurer. But it is the insured parties responsibility to personally understand their own insurance like what's covered and what is not, and how much will this cost me? before you leave the doctors office. For physician offices you really should let the right people handle credentialing, people with experience. AmBetter is a great payer of claims and fast; as they keep accurate records and when they recoup because someone made a mistake in claims processing its always been accurate without the chatter like some others, "because we can". Thanks AmBetter you are doing a Great job and you are easy to work with.

Viktorija Kang Henderson, NV

So far everything has been great. The only reason I am writing a review is to balance a little bit the stars because majority of people gave 1 star. I am a scholar and I can tell that all the reviews are always very biased and subjective. Most of the time people leave reviews when they are extremely unsatisfied or they are extremely satisfied. What about those who are in the middle? I live in Nevada and I found primary care doctor and pediatrician for my child within 5 minutes on their website. The plan I have has a good price and very good coverage, more than I could ask. I have called customer service and I was helped promptly. The person I spoke to was very nice and professional. I would never have written the review if I hadn't seen so many terrible reviews. Imagine how many other satisfied customers have not left a review? I just don't want people to not get good prices insurance because of other people's personal experience. Just look at the coverage, the price, and compare with other insurance companies. Choose what fits your needs, not what the "stars" say.

le gion Missouri City, TX

i need an authorization to get an MRI, i have been making calls for 3 hours, i have been bounced around by several people who do not even know how to solve this problem, all of this because i need to stick my leg in a hole for 10 minutes. for the sake of your health and sanity, DO NOT GET AM BETTER.

Ruth Zastrow Kingsport, TN

I switched to ambetter the first of the year I was told they cover all my doctors so far we have over 5 ,000 dollars in out of network bills I really dread switching to them they cover done of my doctors now realize I just started this insurance in January

Penny ,

Giving 1 star but the company doesn’t even warrant that. This is the worst company I have ever had. In the 40 + years of dealing with health insurance companies they are the worst. Since our health care system has been ruined I have been stuck with this company, no other companies participated in the county I live in. High cost over $1500.00 monthly w/ 16k deductible. Customer service is terrible, cost is high, I have been trying to resolve an issue of overpayment for more than 60 days and get the run around, am told first person dropped the ball, I am taking care of it only to have the ball dropped again, 4 people no resolution no return calls from anyone. It’s no little matter either. Do yourself a favor and avoid this company, if you have a choice any other company would have to be better. Next step fling a complaint with the dept of insurance at state level.

Paige White Kennesaw, GA

Getting pre approval has been a nightmare. 15 bus days to approve all procedures or care has left me in immense pain for over 2 months because each new procedure has to go through a 15 day process. Office staff confirmed only ambetter has such terrible requirements. I wish I had stuck with Kaiser because I would not be living on meds daily while I wait for the procedures I need. Also don’t believe them when ambetter says the delay is because the doctor office doesn’t file correctly. Ambetter told me this about multiple different providers and after being on hold for over 2 hours a rep finally told me the only way to bypass the 15 day approval wait period is in the case of life or death.

Michelle Hefner Cedar Creek, TX

Do not choose this company!!!! They are completely inept. They charged me for insurance for 6 months and when I went for a checkup, I was told my insurance was inactive. There was never any communication and they continued charging my credit card each month! After many hours of conversation, they refunded my money in November. Today, I received an email saying, "Thank you for your payment." They had charged me again! When I called, the woman said the confirmation number that accompanied the email was wrong and there was nothing she could do to help me. I told her that was the confirmation number on the email from ambetter! This is insane and totally unprofessional. What kind of scam is this company running?!

Tracy Bridgeview, IL

It’s the worst insurance ever. The lists of doctors and hospitals in their website as “in net-work” are all lies. I’m pregnant but there’s no OBGYN accepts this insurance. After calling 3 pages of “in net-work” doctors according to the website, I finally found a OBGYN doctor who’s 45 mins away from where I live (Chicago). I was bleeding a lot when I was 14 weeks pregnant and went to the nearest emergency. This insurance only covers if I used an ambulance or emergency room but all the tests I had to take including ultrasound, they did not cover. The doctor prescribed me medications but this insurance didn’t cover either. My OBGYN doctor transfered me to a different hospital for another ultrasound which also says “in net-network” in their website. This insurance also denied this coverage so I called them and they don’t know why i got denied when it says “ in network” like wtf? She told me to call the hospital so I did, she said called my insurance. I called my insurance and they told me they would call me back, it’s been a week already and haven’t heard anything. I’m so sick of this insurance but it doesn’t expires until the end of this year. I don’t understand why I am paying this insurance every month for monthly payment when this insurance doesn’t covers anything. Stay away from ambetter.

Dewana Gray Morman Little Rock, AR

This company horrible they stopped my surgery that i had to opinions from 2 specialist stating that there is a need for this so u can walk this is a surgery that is needed they canceled my surgery less than three hours before I was supposed to have it I pay for all the things that I need to have surgery renting equipment and everything out of my pocket just to be told that they felt like I need to be in pain a little bit longer before I could get my hip fixed I tried to explain to them if I got my hip fixed then I could work and I wouldn't have to be on Social Security but they don't care I can't pay my bills or do anything I went from working as a nurse for over 22 years to not being able to work at all or stand and now I'm on a walking cane if I get my hip fixed then I will be able to walk work and take care of my household and I won't have to be on assistant I would think this is what you would want you would not want your customers or clients to be sick or sitting at home hurting when they don't have to be for you to sit in the office and tell me that I am not in pain and that I should be in a little bit more pain than this so I said maybe I should go outside and fall hard on the concrete and then they said they would fix my head really so I have to go outside and hurt myself for you to fix something that should be fixed anyways this is horrible this is supposed to be a company through Obamacare it sucks what's the point in having insurance if something's really wrong and you have went through all the precautions it took 3 years for me to get approved for surgery spine specialist because I did every other alternative that I could do besides surgery to help me now I'm in chronic pain constantly they say they don't want people to take opiates or get addicted but I have no choice but to take these medications because my insurance will not fix the problem so that I can get off of medication ridiculous

Lizzy Puentes Tallahassee, FL

Ambetter is a great insurance for where I resided in South Florida. They have lots of perks that you can gain from a point system they have. They also have a great reward system where you get money back if you have the debit card. That money back can be used to pay any bills you have which is so convenient!

Lashawn Partee Arlington, TX

I have no complaints with them overall they have provided the needed care for My husband and I. Customer service has been good. He even told me that when he needed assistance with finding a specialist that they actually took time with him to call and find a Specialist that could see him. They have also covered all prescriptions. And my monthly premium is very affordable.

KAREN M HARRIS Kansas City, MO

I lost my insurance 3 years ago. Never been without insurance. Bad luck happened to me and I had to have eye surgery. The only good thing that came out of that bad situation is a girl told me to call ambetter I did and I am very thankful. They have been wonderful. Had 2 more eye surgeries that same year that they paid really good. I'm low income so I qualify for a subsidy. I just can't say enough good things about ambetter.

Mata Marietta, GA

Ambetter has been a hassle free insurance company that was the most affordable out of all of them. I have never had issues with doctor visits, ED visits, or prescription drugs. They are always very pleasant customer service wise and I actually think the website is getting better. My only complaint is finding a provider is a bit difficult and obviously you are very limited on who you can see, but the cost of the insurance is so low that I am okay with that.

Gail H Cincinnati, OH

I have had a very positive experience with the ambetter insurance. I have been with many insurance companies in the past and they all come with some very bad problems due to people not want to do their jobs first of all. From what I see the company is trying to improve issues and I'm hoping that more people who are not having problems will post reviews because I feel that this insurance has been better than when I had United Healthcare , Humana , Blue Cross Blue Shield. All of these companies have their issues. Sometimes you just have to call back and talk to someone else because two different people would definitely give you two different outcomes.

Jonathan Manchester, NH

I've had Ambetter insurance for 2 years and my only complaint is how frequently they call me to make sure I take advantage of all their wellness benefits. I've read the numerous negative reviews and experienced None of what others claim. I have a pricy RX and they cover all but $30/mo. That prescription alone is double my monthly premium so how could I complain? All preventive care is covered including all tests, many in the thousands. I haven't had any 'event' requiring non-routine care so I cannot comment there. I live in NH and I cannot find a Dr or practice/facility/hospital that ISN'T in their network. Overall very satisfied.

Brenda T. Byron, GA

After much worrying and warnings from others, I chose Ambetter off the marketplace. As newly self-employed I did not have much of a choice. To my surprise, most of my doctors, except for my primary care of well over a decade, are on the plan, and the plan has been wonderful. I have even had two of my doctor's offices express that they were well pleased. They company pays promptly and at reasonable levels. Whatever Ambetter Peach Plan is doing, please keep doing it. Now, if only my beloved primary care doc would join in...

CDan Miami, FL

I absolutely love this insurance. In Miami they cover a whole lot of top doctors, you could even go to the UM hospital and most of the doctors accept AmBetter. Been saving $250 every month, since it covers for my birth control. Even the pharmacist was surprised when it showed him that I didn’t even have to pay a copay, that usually no company ever covers my specific birth control.

lynn Springfield, MO

i live in missouri and have had ambetter from home for 2018. they cover both major area hospitals and doctors that are affiliated. they have paid all the claims quickly. the only refusal was when a doctor accidentally billed them twice. the plan is changing for next year but i hope it stays similar to what i have now because this has been the best insurance i have ever had. i have had to message them a few times and the always replied pretty quickly. they do not email directly so you have to check the patient portal for replies.

PATSY LEIST Bolton, MS

I have only good things to say about Ambetter. I am in Mississippi, one of the states Ambetter covers. My coverage is excellent. My doctors are please to provide it. I have had a minor surgery, my yearly PAP, Mammogram, pain management, etc. and the coverage provided, payment provided have been excellent. I am extremely happy I chose Ambetter insurance. I have recommended it to many of my friends.

VILMA MONTALVAN Miami, FL

From Miami FL Dade County I have never had a problem. When I call customer service they are always willing to help me in anyway. All my claims are paid. We have plenty of Dr’s and specialist to go to. My primary Dr is a private office not a clinic. I could also go to University of Miami which they have great doctors. I recommend my Ins with no problem in anyway.

Bronya Duhanova Tampa, FL

This is my second year with Ambetter from Sunshine health in Florida. In our state this is in my opinion the best option on the federal market place. I have Ambetter Balanced care 1 and I pay 40$ a month for me and my son, it is 0 deductible policy (after the tax credit). Copeay for PCP visit is 1$, for specialist 10$. The choice of doctors isn't the best, but if you are a reasonably healthy person, this is sufficient policy. I was able to find a multi practice primary care provider near my home, meaning I have my PCP, OBG, bloodwork and allergologist in one building. I'm also happy with my son's pediatrician. All of the hospitals in Tampa bay area, where we live, take this insurance. Added bonus is "My health pays" account, we get 50$ for each annual preventive visits, gym membership and other services, like HPV virus immunisation for my son. This are deposited to a credit card, what I can use for coinsurance and other health care expenses... Customer service is always pleasant and helpful. My life got significantly easier and less stressful thanks to Ambetter. I highly recommend this insurance plan for your basic health care needs.

kay molina Miami, FL

I've been with Ambetter roughly 2 or 3 years, the only complaint i have is sometimes they dont cover my medications, but normally is when itsbtier 2+ medications, as i have only tier 1 coverage and i believe they have 4 tiers. They do have prior authorizations doctor's can send in, to see if approved. But I've had very little problems with this insurance company. Im overall very happy, they have excellent coverage fpr vision and good doctors in network. The many times ive called concerning some questiond and occasional problem, they provide good service. The reps I've talked to have done all they can to help me sprt out what i need. I live in Florida and here its Ambetter with Sunshine Health.... Maybe its only decent In Florida, because these reviews are terrible and I've had little problems with them.