UnitedHealthcare is a well-known insurance provider. It’s mission is to help people live healthier lives and to help make the health system work better for everyone.

The company is continually working with health care professionals and other key partners to create a health care system that is accessible and affordable to all.

UnitedHealthcare and Optum (health information, technology, and services firm) have managed to provide medical benefits to people throughout the nation and in more than 130 other countries. In the United States, UnitedHealthcare has a network that includes over 1.3 million physicians — and other health care professionals — and more than 6,000 hospitals and other facilities.

The Good

• Finding Coverage Options Is Simple
  • Dental Insurance FAQs
  • UnitedHealthcare App
  • Employer Offerings
  • Additional Insurance Products

Finding Coverage Options Is Simple

For specifics on dental insurance coverage available through United Healthcare, individuals must provide their address, age, gender, and other information to view the cost and coverage available for dental care and treatment in their area.

As you look at dental coverage options, pay attention to what kind of dental work is covered, including preventive services and basic services. Preventive care typically includes cleanings and fluoride treatments. Basic services include fillings. Check to see what major dental services are covered. Major services usually include root canals and retainers.

Be sure to understand whether or not there is a waiting period. While some plans might not have a waiting period, some plans do. The period can range anywhere between 4 and 12 months.

Some dental plans may include cost-sharing or discounts for orthodontic care.  Some plans may only offer orthodontic coverage for children, though some may offer coverage for adults.

Once you understand the coverage, you need to evaluate the cost. The plan's full costs includes copays, monthly premium payments, and the deductible. Consider how much dental work you'll need and estimate those costs. This will help you find an affordable plan that fits into your budget.

Dental Insurance FAQs

Those who are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of a dental insurance plan can visit the UnitedHealthcare Frequently Asked Questions page and get answers to common dental insurance questions. UnitedHealthcare does a fantastic job of explaining how dental insurance works, specific terms, the scope of coverage, and even coverage options for seniors.

UnitedHealthcare App

The UnitedHealthcare app is handy as it allows patients instant access to their health plan details. The app includes the following features:

• Find network care options for doctors, clinics, and hospitals nearby
  • Talk to a doctor via video
  • View reviews and ratings for doctors
  • Generate and share digital health plan ID cards
  • View claims and account balances
  • Manage prescription drugs and refills
  • Estimate costs of common procedures
  • View copay, annual deductible, and out-of-pocket expenses
  • View Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Account, or Health Savings Account

Patients can download the app for free from the App Store® and Google Play®.

Employer Offerings

UnitedHealthcare also offers plans that employers can offer employees. It's much easier to find general information on the kinds of dental plans offered to employers. Employers can choose a PPO, INO, or Select Managed Care plan. Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans offer coverage outside of its network of dental providers. In-network only (INO) plans only offer coverage when visiting participating care providers. Select Managed Care plans offer coverage only for in-network care. These plans also provide direct compensation.

Some plan structures are not available in every state. Employers should work directly with UnitedHealthcare to learn more about options and their costs in their area.

Additional Insurance Products

For those interested in purchasing health coverage or vision insurance along with dental coverage, UnitedHealthcare offers other insurance products. These include health insurance, short term health insurance, and supplemental insurance plans. Its supplemental insurance plans include hospital and doctor insurance, vision, term life, international travel, accident, hospitalization, critical illness, and student health insurance.

For employers, UnitedHealthcare also offers medical, vision, life, accident, critical illness, disability, hospital indemnity, hearing, and global insurance. Employers seeking to offer more than dental benefits to employees can find additional insurance products from UnitedHealthcare.

Get Quote

The Bad

Limited Information

Because UnitedHealthcare requires people to enter their address, age, gender, etc. it is difficult to give a general evaluation of the company’s dental insurance plans. Depending on the given information, the plans will vary in price, coverage, and availability. Patients should pay attention to what dental work will be covered, if there are any waiting periods, and discount differences between an in-network provider and an out-of-network provider when considering a dental policy.

The Bottom Line

While it was difficult to find general information to provide an overview of UnitedHealthcare and its dental insurance offerings for individuals, it is a trusted and respected health insurance company. Because United Healthcare offers many products and has a broad reach, the lack of general information also speaks to the level of specificity and variety available.

UnitedHealthcare dental plans are worth more investigating further. If you’re not up for more direct research on the United Healthcare site, other dental insurance companies may be better suited for you.

Call our recommended rep over at UnitedHealthcare below.

4.0

Justin McMurtrey

February 18th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been on UnitedHealthcare for he past year. I have been pleasantly surprised with the coverage. It is a fair price with good people you help you understand your coverage.

Olivia Hakes

February 12th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love United! Great coverage and super helpful customer service! Definitely a great company

Erika Douglas

February 10th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Our coverage is only so-so. There are upgrades we always have to pay for. But it's definitely better than some of the others.

Toni Baker

February 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Thank Heavens for insurance, they take care us in all we need, i like that we can call and get the answers we need

Danielle Powell

January 27th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used this as a primary insurance and it worked seamlessly with my secondary insurance

Kiara Guerrier

January 8th, 2020 Lake Worth, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I currently have this insurance. It’s not bad but it’s a bit expensive and I don’t really understand why.

Jacob

December 31st, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

United Healthcare is great. With top providers and excellent customer service, I never have to worry about dental plans.

Connor

November 29th, 2019 Farmington, UT

This insurance is extremely reliable and helpful. They have good customer service and are transparent with what they cover.

Michelle W

November 27th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

UnitedHealthcare is decent dental insurance. It was the normal copays and nothing surprising came to me via the mail after my check ups. No complaints.

Daphne Brown

November 25th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It was a good experience but I kept wishing they weren't the non IHC guys. They were good on customer service but I really wanted bettter rates and perks.

Melanie

November 22nd, 2019 Rio Rancho, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The coverage provided was enough to take care of my teeth, although finding a provider who accepted this insurance proved to be difficult on occasion.

Eric Smith

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have been pleased with the premiums charged for the services we get and our preferred dentist was on the list so we did not have to make any changes.

Brittney Miskin

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great option for dental coverage. They cover most standard dental procedures and their co pays for bigger dental procedures is competitive with other dental insurance companies.

Millie

October 15th, 2019 Cumming, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used UHC Medicare Advantage for three years. All seemed pretty good until I tried to make a dental claim which I was assured was covered, according to the contract I had signed onto. Well it was denied. I was talked into buying a dental rider which (foolishly) I did. Ultimately I discovered that for $2350 worth of needed dental surgery, UHC would pay less than $300. Their allowable rate is putrid and unrealistic. I am going with another plan for this open enrollment season. I appealed my original claim of $327 for dental cleaning and X-rays but after two months still not resolved. Of course I paid for all of my dental work out of pocket. Stay away. For some reason this company has really gone down hill,

Gail Strother

October 10th, 2019 Bentonville, AR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am new to Untied Health Care. I am impressed with the professional and easy to use web site. I like the links to find participating doctors and to my HSA account . The site has everything I need to easily manage and track my claims.

Zac Marx

October 8th, 2019 Brighton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

United Healthcare takes great care of me and my family. It has great coverage and a great selection of doctors. We found our favorite dentist through United Healthcare.

Karen Jorgensen

October 7th, 2019 Washington, UT

Our coverage has been excellent. We’re able to get cleanings every 6 months, sealants once a year for the kids, and xrays once a year.

Dekiah1

October 7th, 2019 Alpine, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great customer service and coverage. I love that I’m always able to get knowledgeable people to answer my questions.

Mike Smith

October 3rd, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not happy what so ever. Premiums were $900 per month and didn't cover even preventative health care.

JoAnn Lucas

September 30th, 2019 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are very helpful and easy to work with. I love the chance to add money to our HSA account by exercising!

Ken

August 2nd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Penny pinchers when it comes to providing care for the policy holder

Curran

July 23rd, 2019 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

100% fine nice smile I have and healthy teeth

Paige Baldwin

July 11th, 2019 Wellsville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used United for a long time and never had a problem. They had great coverage and their staff was willing to help with any questions we had. The billing process always went smoothly.

Rosann Stanko

June 26th, 2019 Logan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We are pleased with United Health care and their service. I especially like the ease to which I was able to recently ask if something was covered and get a guarantee to go ahead with some testing. I do believe that the deductible should be way less and the per cent we pay should be less, though.

Jeremy Balls

June 13th, 2019 Kaysville, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

United Healthcare has been the best healthcare and dental insurance we have had. Their network seems to be larger and accepted by more Doctors and Hospitals. They are just as good at their coverage of Dental. I would fully recommend them. The only we ended up changing was that their price went up.

Jennifer Smith

June 11th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

A couple of years ago my husband's company was using United healthcare and we did not have the best experience as we worked through dental costs. Our kids to not have the best teeth and unfortunately they have been to the dentist many times during their years. United was never easy to work with. We would always get our dental bill and insurance would cover significantly less than we had expected (based on prior insurance coverage form other carriers). I spent many hours on the phone attempting to get answers, but many times after waiting, I felt just as frustrated after talking as I did before. I would be cautious when using this insurance. Make sure that it is the best coverage for you and your family before signing on.

Anne Sainsbury

June 10th, 2019 Payson, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've used UnitedHealthcare my entire life, and I have always been able to rely on United! They've taken great care of me and covered my dental visits! Plus, their customer service has been top notch!

Marissa

June 7th, 2019 Redwood Falls, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

United Healthcare has been great insurance. Whenever I have to call about a question or claim, I've always been helped efficiently and the customer service reps do a great job at helping me understand my plan.

Grant Lofgreen

June 4th, 2019 Provo, UT

This insurance company has been very fair and helpful. Their coverage has been more than adequate and has been easy to use at nearly every doctor's office I wish to go to.

Jessica Bjorling

May 31st, 2019 Eldridge, IA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have worked with UHC from the business side and also as a user - I have had wonderful experiences. Their coverage is incredible and their customer support is very helpful.

Dale L Farmer

May 30th, 2019 Littleton, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have had pre authorizations turned down for reasons that made no sense. Their payment fees are low.

Alex O

November 19th, 2018 Oceanside, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Bait and Switch Dental Plans. They state "Fillings covered at 80%" but it's only some fillings. It gets worse from there.

M. Jones

July 16th, 2018 Clovis, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

need better vision, and dental, prescriptions, need to be lowered as far as the deductible goes.

Mary Reed

July 10th, 2018 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The co pay is to high the deductible is to high. They need to come down on these charges about 20 dollars. The dental insurance sucks. If I didn't need it I would cancel it.