UnitedHealthcare Logo

UnitedHealthcare

7.1

UnitedHealthcare is a well-known insurance provider. It's mission is to help people live healthier lives and to help make the health system work better for everyone.

The company is continually working with health care professionals and other key partners to create a health care system that is accessible and affordable to all.

UnitedHealthcare and Optum (health information, technology, and services firm) have managed to provide medical benefits to people throughout the nation and in more than 130 other countries. In the United States, UnitedHealthcare has a network that includes over 1.3 million physicians - and other health care professionals - and more than 6,000 hospitals and other facilities.

Read UnitedHealthcare Dental Reviews

The Good

• Finding Coverage Options Is Simple
  • Dental Insurance FAQs
  • UnitedHealthcare App
  • Employer Offerings
  • Additional Insurance Products

Finding Coverage Options Is Simple

For specifics on dental insurance coverage available through United Healthcare, individuals must provide their address, age, gender, and other information to view the cost and coverage available for dental care and treatment in their area.

As you look at dental coverage options, pay attention to what kind of dental work is covered, including preventive services and basic services. Preventive care typically includes cleanings and fluoride treatments. Basic services include fillings. Check to see what major dental services are covered. Major services usually include root canals and retainers.

Be sure to understand whether or not there is a waiting period. While some plans might not have a waiting period, some plans do. The period can range anywhere between 4 and 12 months.

Some UnitedHealthcare dental insurance plans may include cost-sharing or discounts for orthodontic care. Some plans may only offer orthodontic coverage for children, though some may offer coverage for adults.

Once you understand the coverage, you need to evaluate the cost. The plan's full costs includes copays, monthly premium payments, and the deductible. Consider how much dental work you'll need and estimate those costs. This will help you find an affordable plan that fits into your budget.

Dental Insurance FAQs

Those who are unfamiliar with the ins and outs of a dental insurance plan can visit the UnitedHealthcare Frequently Asked Questions page and get answers to common dental insurance questions. UnitedHealthcare does a fantastic job of explaining how dental insurance works, specific terms, the scope of coverage, and even coverage options for seniors.

UnitedHealthcare App

The UnitedHealthcare app is handy as it allows you instant access to your health plan details. The app includes the following features:

• Find network care options for doctors, clinics, and hospitals nearby
  • Talk to a doctor via video
  • View reviews and ratings for doctors
  • Generate and share digital health plan ID cards
  • View claims and account balances
  • Manage prescription drugs and refills
  • Estimate costs of common procedures
  • View copay, annual deductible, and out-of-pocket expenses
  • View Health Reimbursement Account, Flexible Spending Account, or Health Savings Account

You can download the app for free from the App Store® and Google Play®.

Employer Offerings

UnitedHealthcare also offers plans that employers can offer employees. It's much easier to find general information on the kinds of dental plans offered to employers. Employers can choose a PPO, INO, or Select Managed Care plan. Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plans offer coverage outside of its network of dental providers. In-network only (INO) plans only offer coverage when visiting participating care providers. Select Managed Care plans offer coverage only for in-network care. These plans also provide direct compensation.

Some plan structures are not available in every state. Employers should work directly with UnitedHealthcare to learn more about options and their costs in their area.

Additional Insurance Products

For those interested in purchasing health coverage or vision insurance along with dental coverage, UnitedHealthcare offers other insurance products. These include health insurance, short term health insurance, and supplemental insurance plans. Its supplemental insurance plans include hospital and doctor insurance, vision, term life, international travel, accident, hospitalization, critical illness, and student health insurance.

If you're eligible for a Medicare plan, UnitedHealthcare partners with the AARP to offer Medicare plans.

For employers, UnitedHealthcare also offers medical, vision, life, accident, critical illness, disability, hospital indemnity, hearing, and global insurance. Employers seeking to offer more than dental benefits to employees can find additional insurance products from UnitedHealthcare.

Get Quote

The Bad

Limited Information

Because UnitedHealthcare requires people to enter their address, age, gender, etc. it is difficult to give a general evaluation of the company's dental insurance plans. Depending on the given information, the plans will vary in price, coverage, and availability. You should should pay attention to what dental services will be covered, like routine cleanings, dentures, orthodontics, etc.

You should also see if there are any waiting periods, and discount differences between an in-network provider and an out-of-network provider when considering a dental policy. If you like your current dentist, you should see if they are a network dentist on the plans you're considering.

The Bottom Line

While it was difficult to find general information to provide an overview of UnitedHealthcare and its dental insurance offerings for individuals, it is a trusted and respected health insurance company. Because United Healthcare offers many products and has a broad reach, the lack of general information also speaks to the level of specificity and variety available.

UnitedHealthcare dental plans are worth more investigating further. If you’re not up for more direct research on the United Healthcare site, other dental insurance companies may be better suited for you.

Call our recommended rep over at UnitedHealthcare below.

4.1

CoachTrista Saratoga Springs, UT

I have been very happy with UHC as my dental insurance carrier. It allows me to be able to have two cleanings per year.

Aallen Katy, TX

We have had UHC for over 10 uyears. There are quality focote associated. The customer service is always helpful. The my UHC app is also very imfomsyice and easy to use

Amy McCarlie Orem, UT

Had this insurance when i was single and working at my job. I loved the benefits!!!

Brodie Smithfield, UT

UnitedHealthcare is who we have used for many years and they have been so easy to work with. They make seeing the breakdown of my claims super easy.

Fairleigh Moore La Mesa, CA

An equitable and fair service. Accepted at every dentist I have contracted with. Most needs are covered with little out of pocket expenses.

Alisha Silver Spring, MD

I Have had this insurance for years! They are prompt and always courteous. I do trust that they have my best interest as a patient.

Yvette Birmingham, AL

I like UnitedHealth because of the customer service and the coverage options they give

NG ,

I like the network of dentists I had access to with United Healthcare. The services covered were comprehensive, though the "higher level" care was somewhat inadequate (we just prayed we wouldn't need such treatment!).

Lissette Sanchez

Excellent patient service and very convenient to make an appointment

Beverly

The amount I pay is quite affordable. I can reach them easily by phone. They pay the dentist promptly. You don't have to wait a period of time before they will cover a need.

Natalie Brown Boulder, CO

United is great and I highly recommend it! The customer service is very good and the policies they have fit perfectly with my budget. They are affordable but provide good coverage for the year.

myles Ragas Houston, TX

Totally covers all my dental fees. I go a couple times a year to the dentist and I dont pay a dime.

DeeDee G. Dallas, TX

Coverage is very limited, so I would reccomend perhaps getting just paying for a dentist you trust.

Lizabeth Augustine Holmdel, NJ

Had United Healthcare many years ago. Good experience. Professional for such a large scale company.

Kimsreview Atlanta, GA

Love UnitedHealthcare!! They are responsive and very helpful. I have had their dental in the past but unfortunately now do not.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I've had United Healthcare insurance for the past 12 years through my employer. We've always had the option between Cigna and UHC, and I will always choose UHC as long as it is an option because of their coverage, pricing and customer service.

Justin McMurtrey South Jordan, UT

We have been on UnitedHealthcare for he past year. I have been pleasantly surprised with the coverage. It is a fair price with good people you help you understand your coverage.

Olivia Hakes American Fork, UT

Love United! Great coverage and super helpful customer service! Definitely a great company

Erika Douglas Cedar Fort, UT

Our coverage is only so-so. There are upgrades we always have to pay for. But it's definitely better than some of the others.

Toni Baker West Valley City, UT

Thank Heavens for insurance, they take care us in all we need, i like that we can call and get the answers we need

Danielle Powell Long Beach, MS

Used this as a primary insurance and it worked seamlessly with my secondary insurance

Kiara Guerrier Lake Worth, FL

I currently have this insurance. It’s not bad but it’s a bit expensive and I don’t really understand why.

Jacob American Fork, UT

United Healthcare is great. With top providers and excellent customer service, I never have to worry about dental plans.

Connor Farmington, UT

This insurance is extremely reliable and helpful. They have good customer service and are transparent with what they cover.

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

UnitedHealthcare is decent dental insurance. It was the normal copays and nothing surprising came to me via the mail after my check ups. No complaints.

Daphne Brown Riverton, UT

It was a good experience but I kept wishing they weren't the non IHC guys. They were good on customer service but I really wanted bettter rates and perks.

Melanie Rio Rancho, NM

The coverage provided was enough to take care of my teeth, although finding a provider who accepted this insurance proved to be difficult on occasion.

Brittney Miskin Riverton, UT

Great option for dental coverage. They cover most standard dental procedures and their co pays for bigger dental procedures is competitive with other dental insurance companies.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

We have been pleased with the premiums charged for the services we get and our preferred dentist was on the list so we did not have to make any changes.

Millie Cumming, GA

We used UHC Medicare Advantage for three years. All seemed pretty good until I tried to make a dental claim which I was assured was covered, according to the contract I had signed onto. Well it was denied. I was talked into buying a dental rider which (foolishly) I did. Ultimately I discovered that for $2350 worth of needed dental surgery, UHC would pay less than $300. Their allowable rate is putrid and unrealistic. I am going with another plan for this open enrollment season. I appealed my original claim of $327 for dental cleaning and X-rays but after two months still not resolved. Of course I paid for all of my dental work out of pocket. Stay away. For some reason this company has really gone down hill,

Gail Strother Bentonville, AR

I am new to Untied Health Care. I am impressed with the professional and easy to use web site. I like the links to find participating doctors and to my HSA account . The site has everything I need to easily manage and track my claims.

Zac Marx Brighton, CO

United Healthcare takes great care of me and my family. It has great coverage and a great selection of doctors. We found our favorite dentist through United Healthcare.

Karen Jorgensen Washington, UT

Our coverage has been excellent. We’re able to get cleanings every 6 months, sealants once a year for the kids, and xrays once a year.

Dekiah1 Alpine, UT

Great customer service and coverage. I love that I’m always able to get knowledgeable people to answer my questions.

Mike Smith Austin, TX

Not happy what so ever. Premiums were $900 per month and didn't cover even preventative health care.

JoAnn Lucas Austin, TX

They are very helpful and easy to work with. I love the chance to add money to our HSA account by exercising!

Ken Bangs

Penny pinchers when it comes to providing care for the policy holder

Paul Curran

100% fine nice smile I have and healthy teeth

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

We used United for a long time and never had a problem. They had great coverage and their staff was willing to help with any questions we had. The billing process always went smoothly.

Rosann Stanko Logan, UT

We are pleased with United Health care and their service. I especially like the ease to which I was able to recently ask if something was covered and get a guarantee to go ahead with some testing. I do believe that the deductible should be way less and the per cent we pay should be less, though.

Jennifer Smith Salt Lake City, UT

A couple of years ago my husband's company was using United healthcare and we did not have the best experience as we worked through dental costs. Our kids to not have the best teeth and unfortunately they have been to the dentist many times during their years. United was never easy to work with. We would always get our dental bill and insurance would cover significantly less than we had expected (based on prior insurance coverage form other carriers). I spent many hours on the phone attempting to get answers, but many times after waiting, I felt just as frustrated after talking as I did before. I would be cautious when using this insurance. Make sure that it is the best coverage for you and your family before signing on.

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

United Healthcare has been the best healthcare and dental insurance we have had. Their network seems to be larger and accepted by more Doctors and Hospitals. They are just as good at their coverage of Dental. I would fully recommend them. The only we ended up changing was that their price went up.

Anne Sainsbury Payson, UT

I've used UnitedHealthcare my entire life, and I have always been able to rely on United! They've taken great care of me and covered my dental visits! Plus, their customer service has been top notch!

Marissa Redwood Falls, MN

United Healthcare has been great insurance. Whenever I have to call about a question or claim, I've always been helped efficiently and the customer service reps do a great job at helping me understand my plan.

Grant Lofgreen Provo, UT

This insurance company has been very fair and helpful. Their coverage has been more than adequate and has been easy to use at nearly every doctor's office I wish to go to.

Jessica Bjorling Eldridge, IA

I have worked with UHC from the business side and also as a user - I have had wonderful experiences. Their coverage is incredible and their customer support is very helpful.

Dale L Farmer Littleton, CO

I have had pre authorizations turned down for reasons that made no sense. Their payment fees are low.

Alex O Oceanside, CA

Bait and Switch Dental Plans. They state "Fillings covered at 80%" but it's only some fillings. It gets worse from there.

M. Jones Clovis, CA

need better vision, and dental, prescriptions, need to be lowered as far as the deductible goes.

Mary Reed

The co pay is to high the deductible is to high. They need to come down on these charges about 20 dollars. The dental insurance sucks. If I didn't need it I would cancel it.