Cigna Logo

6.7

Cigna began as the Insurance Company of North America in 1792 in Philadelphia to provide marine insurance. Over the years, Cigna has grown to become a global leader in the health insurance industry. Cigna also offers dental insurance.

MetLife Logo
#2 MetLife chevron_right
Delta Dental Logo
#4 Delta Dental chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Plans for Individuals and Families
  • Plans for Employers

Plans for Individuals and Families

Cigna offers three kinds of plan options to individuals and families with different dental insurance benefits:

• Cigna Dental Preventive
  • Cigna Dental 1000
  • Cigna Dental 1500

The Cigna Dental Preventive plan has no deductible and covers 100 percent of preventive services, like cleanings and exams. Its monthly premium cost varies. However, the average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 is $19 per person.

The Cigna Dental 1000 offers the same preventive care coverage as the Cigna Dental Preventive plan. It also covers restorative treatment up to $1000 per year. The deductible is $50 for an individual and $150 dollars for a family. The average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 is $30 per person.

The Cigna Dental 1500 plan has the same deductibles and preventive coverage as the Cigna Dental 1000. It offers more coverage for restorative care, up to $1500 per year. The Cigna Dental 1500 includes $1000 benefit for orthodontic services that comes with a separate deductible, limits, and coinsurance. The average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 for this plan is $35 person.

When choosing a plan from these three categories, pay attention to waiting periods. Waiting periods mean that the dental insurance company doesn't cost-share covered services until the waiting period is over.

Plans for Employers

Cigna offers four kinds of plans that employers can provide to their employees in a benefits package:

• Cigna Dental Care (DHMO)
  • Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO)
  • Dental Exclusive Provider Organization (DEPO)
  • Dental Indemnity

The specifics of each plan vary, so check the specifics of your plan before making your choice. General information about each kind of plan is below.

The Cigna Dental Care plans are Cigna's dental HMO plans. They allow individuals to see an in-network provider for general dental treatment and require referrals to see any kind of dental specialist. There is no out-of-network coverage, except for emergencies. Some of these plans also cover orthodontic services from an in-network provider.

The Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO) plans allow individuals to see any dentist or specialist in- or out-of-network. There are greater cost savings to seeing a network-participating dentist. After the deductible is met, patients pay coinsurance for dental services under the dental PPO plan.

The Dental Exclusive Preferred Provider Organization (DEPO) plans are very similar to the Dental Preferred Provider Organization plans. The only difference is that the Dental Exclusive Preferred Provider Organization plans do not offer out-of-network coverage.

The Dental Indemnity plans do not require referrals. People with these plans pay co-insurance for the dental treatment they receive.

The Bad

Exclusions and Limitations

Cigna dental plans have certain limitations and exclusions that vary by state. For example, Cigna dental coverage is not retroactive and does not cover prescriptions, athletic mouth guards, etc. More information about Cigna’s exclusions and limitations is available on Cigna’s website. Be sure to read them before you choose a plan.

The Bottom Line

Dental care and dental insurance are important investments in your oral health. Cigna is a reliable, well-known company for insurance. Cigna offers several kinds of plans for independent buyers and employers. Most will be able to find good, affordable dental coverage through Cigna.

Before choosing a dental insurance plan from Cigna, be sure to understand the specific terms and exclusions. You should also get a personalized quote, since the rates published on the company’s website are the average low prices.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

3.9

Emily Grossman Corpus Christi, TX

Cigna dental is easy to use. Most dentist take it. The claims are always paid in a timely matter.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

I have had Cigna dental insurance for a long time. I had to have some significant work done and was so pleased with my coverage.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

We switched to Cigna to get a larger nationwide network which is great and all but it seems they have expanded that network at the expense of smaller local networks which to me isn't great.

Jose Delgado Dallas, TX

I have Cigna , but they wouldn't pay for a deep cleaning, ending up pay $113. 00 oit pocket,not good

MARIE-NOELLE MARQUIS Los Angeles, CA

Great experience all around. Affordable and really great customer service. Would definitely recommend them!

BrooklynWriter Brooklyn, NY

Like most dental insurance companies, Cigna basically covers a biannual checkup and most of the cost of, say, cavities. Beyond that, you're on your own. The annual and lifetime cap is pretty modest, and hope that your child doesn't need orthodontics.

Caleb Warren Norcross, GA

Quality is decent, accepted by most, copay is average I guess. And like any other dental insurance, the monthly premium is dirt cheap

AD Milford, IN

Cigna has excellent customer service, knowledgeable representatives, and easy to understand pricing and policies.

Alex Knoxville, TN

I have no issues with this dental provider other than I am limited to some services my dentist provides me.

Ron Murrey Clovis, CA

I have dental insurance with Cigna. They only offer a $1500 dental plan. I would like to have a higher dental coverage but they don't offer it. They also don't cover a larger portion of the cost of the dental service. They only cover x-rays for the 6 month checkups and not for dental work done at other times.

Mr. Sampson Blacklick, OH

Easy to do business with. I would recommend them to other, however I feel like there should be more in network locations. More coverage would be preferable, but you don't pay much for dental anyways. Better to have it then not have it at all.

Bill Orlando, FL

Had insurance with them for several years. Never had a problem getting services we needed.

yanelsy crespo Sun City Center, FL

great customer service, there guidance and provider online is easy and self explanatory.

Danial Beck Missouri City, TX

Easy registration, they didn't make it complicated and their web site made it easy how to select the plan which fits. Also used their customer service as a new policy holder who has moved from another country and it was brilliant.

Gerald Hays Layton, UT

I had Cigna through my previous job and they were very reasonably priced and they paid the claims as expected. When I have needed to contact them about claims they were able to help me promptly.

MattB , UT

Good customer support, able to call and talk to someone I can understand. Seems to be a good price for insurance, pretty happy

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

Cigna has a lot of dental professionals in my area and was a great source to find a new dentist once I switched to them.

Jennifer Wilson Salt Lake City, UT

We are happy with coverage for check ups every 6 months. We do sometimes pay a lot for cavity fillings and non routine procedures.

Nora Holland Long Beach, MS

This insurance is so great. What had to pay for my medicine with another insurance I got it for free using Cigna

Kimsreview Atlanta, GA

Not a fan of CIGNA. They deny a lot of things and are difficult to get to a live person.

Linda Hays Layton, UT

I have liked Cigna for my dental insurance. They are clear on what they cover and my provider has never had trouble collecting psyment.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve had Cigna for several years for my dental insurance and I’ve been very satisfied with their coverage. We get two free cleaning a year and they offer $2000 towards braces and I know a lot of insurances only offer $1000-1500. It helped a lot when I had all three of my girls in braces at the same time. If I ever have any questions they are able to help me and are very professional.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I am currently with Cigna for my dental insurance. I love that I dont have to pay a copay for preventative care. This totally makes it worth it to stay current on dental cleanings and checkups in order to avoid more expensive bills caused by waiting.

Braylyn Linford American Fork, UT

We have CIGNA and have been very happy with their Service. They seem to work with a lot of providers in our area.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We liked the coverage that our Cigna Dental plan offered. We were able to find a great dentist that was covered by the plan. Because we were able to see the dentist every 6 months for cleanings, we were able to avoid pricey cavities. The work that had to be done had a reasonable co-pay that didn't break the bank.

AGenes Eagle Mountain, UT

I had Cigna for 3 years and never had any problems. The dental insurance is okay and is usually the same as others. Covers basic cleanings and saves you on other procedures.

Aimee Mortensen Pleasant Grove, UT

Cigna’s reimbursement rates are extremely low. Many providers will no longer accept Cigna.

take7 Sandy, UT

Carry Cigna now. It is great for accepting not just locally but out of state too. Our coverage is great for our needs and they are always in touch on visit follow ups and information. Customer service is very helpful. I’ve used chat and call in and they followed up and even called the facilities to confirm coverage and give me names and details who to be in touch with if there was a problem.

amy rex ,

Claims are paid quickly and premiums are decently priced. I would recommend them

Katie Carver Cheyenne, WY

We have had Cigna insurance for a few years and we have been very happy with it. They have always covered what we needed them to cover. No complaints.

Leslie Comstock Orem, UT

Love, Love, LOVE Cigna! Easy access online especially when I need to verify insurance & coverage for our patients. Very efficient & quick response. They definitely make things easy!

terryjamison Jackson, MS

I have Cigna very satisfied, I pats out well depending on your plan staff is very helpfull

Matthew Hall Moselle, MS

Coverage on dental health is immaculate, 12 cavities filled with only 40 dollars out of pocket

Michelle W Coraopolis, PA

Cigna makes it extremely easy to use their dental insurance. I actually love the online dashboard that shows me data.

Lily South Jordan, UT

I don’t really like Cigna it hey didn’t cover anything for insurance. They never really helped me out. Before that they were pretty good.

Brenda Mertes Houston, TX

Cigna doesn't cover anything. They apparently think that their clients just love taking test and don't believe any of the tests and procedures are actually necessary. They've been so awful and we've paid out of pocket in full for every single thing. I don't understand what the half a thousand dollars a month was even for.

Eric Smith Riverton, UT

Great options for our family and pricing was very good. Never had any problems at all.

Aliza Henline Provo, UT

They were really easy to work with! I've never had any problems, and it was easy to check my benefits before starting.

JoAnn Lucas Austin, TX

This company has been very helpful and easy to work with. They are also quick to respond.

Amy Decker Bloomington, IN

We have had nothing but really good experiences in using Cigna for our dental coverage. We’ve been with them for years and have never had any trouble with claims or coverage. Love that our coverage goes out of state.

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

We didn't have Cigna Dental insurance for very long, maybe, a year and a half, and then our employer switched companys. They were fine. Didn't have any problems with them and I think their coverage was pretty comparable to other company's. Accepted our family dentist and claims were paid in a timely manner.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I had Cigna with a previous employer and absolutely loved their coverage and service. I wish I could go back to Cigna. They always covered my procedural needs.

Darrin Henry Pleasant Grove, UT

Cigna offers a good plan for school teachers and we have used it for years. Great supplement. You get ok benefits for the price.

Scotlynn Blair Phoenix, AZ

Have had no problems with Cigna and dental insurance. very reliable and trustworthy

Joe

Cigna Dental has proven theirselves & their worth time & time again! They are an extremely intuitive company staffed with actual associates that truly care about you the customer. They can be easily contacted wherever & whenever you may find the need for their assistance. They provide more than just quality insurance for your dollar value, they actually provide a comfortable & well maintained customer service package that includes concierge representatives always at the ready to assist with knowledgeable customized responses to your personal & individual needs. Cigna is definitely a company that truly cares about their most precious assets, the customers they very happily serve!

Mila Vilesova

Very high premiums for my PPO 2, but 0 deductible and $5,000 a year are worth it. Definitely a good choice if you need a lot of work done.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

We used Cigna for the longest time. It wasn’t the best we used but not the worst either. They had pretty good coverage and our billing process usually went smoothly. Their was always willing to help.

Danish Noor Peoria, IL

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE. They are not covering the benefits that the dental office claim the insurance will going to cover 100%. always downgrading my coverage w/o any notice or information.

Jewell Phoenix, AZ

Cigna provides better coverage for various dental needs than other companies do. They also don't require you to pay for 6 to 12 months of premiums before they will pay on claims. .

Jimmy Picha Houston, TX

Terrible if you want them to pay you have to complain to customer service and if you complain enough they pay only partial of bill.