Cigna Logo

6.7

Cigna began as the Insurance Company of North America in 1792 in Philadelphia to provide marine insurance. Over the years, Cigna has grown to become a global leader in the health insurance industry. Cigna also offers dental insurance.

MetLife Logo
#1 MetLife chevron_right
UnitedHealthcare Logo
#3 UnitedHealthcare chevron_right
Delta Dental Logo
#4 Delta Dental chevron_right
4.0

The Good

• Plans for Individuals and Families
  • Plans for Employers

Plans for Individuals and Families

Cigna offers three kinds of plan options to individuals and families with different dental insurance benefits:

• Cigna Dental Preventive
  • Cigna Dental 1000
  • Cigna Dental 1500

The Cigna Dental Preventive plan has no deductible and covers 100 percent of preventive services, like cleanings and exams. Its monthly premium cost varies. However, the average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 is $19 per person.

The Cigna Dental 1000 offers the same preventive care coverage as the Cigna Dental Preventive plan. It also covers restorative treatment up to $1000 per year. The deductible is $50 for an individual and $150 dollars for a family. The average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 is $30 per person.

The Cigna Dental 1500 plan has the same deductibles and preventive coverage as the Cigna Dental 1000. It offers more coverage for restorative care, up to $1500 per year. The Cigna Dental 1500 includes $1000 benefit for orthodontic services that comes with a separate deductible, limits, and coinsurance. The average lowest monthly premium available in 2018 for this plan is $35 person.

When choosing a plan from these three categories, pay attention to waiting periods. Waiting periods mean that the dental insurance company doesn't cost-share covered services until the waiting period is over.

Plans for Employers

Cigna offers four kinds of plans that employers can provide to their employees in a benefits package:

• Cigna Dental Care (DHMO)
  • Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO)
  • Dental Exclusive Provider Organization (DEPO)
  • Dental Indemnity

The specifics of each plan vary, so check the specifics of your plan before making your choice. General information about each kind of plan is below.

The Cigna Dental Care plans are Cigna's dental HMO plans. They allow individuals to see an in-network provider for general dental treatment and require referrals to see any kind of dental specialist. There is no out-of-network coverage, except for emergencies. Some of these plans also cover orthodontic services from an in-network provider.

The Dental Preferred Provider Organization (DPPO) plans allow individuals to see any dentist or specialist in- or out-of-network. There are greater cost savings to seeing a network-participating dentist. After the deductible is met, patients pay coinsurance for dental services under the dental PPO plan.

The Dental Exclusive Preferred Provider Organization (DEPO) plans are very similar to the Dental Preferred Provider Organization plans. The only difference is that the Dental Exclusive Preferred Provider Organization plans do not offer out-of-network coverage.

The Dental Indemnity plans do not require referrals. People with these plans pay co-insurance for the dental treatment they receive.

The Bad

Exclusions and Limitations

Cigna dental plans have certain limitations and exclusions that vary by state. For example, Cigna dental coverage is not retroactive and does not cover prescriptions, athletic mouth guards, etc. More information about Cigna’s exclusions and limitations is available on Cigna’s website. Be sure to read them before you choose a plan.

The Bottom Line

Dental care and dental insurance are important investments in your oral health. Cigna is a reliable, well-known company for insurance. Cigna offers several kinds of plans for independent buyers and employers. Most will be able to find good, affordable dental coverage through Cigna.

Before choosing a dental insurance plan from Cigna, be sure to understand the specific terms and exclusions. You should also get a personalized quote, since the rates published on the company’s website are the average low prices.

View Best Dental Insurance Companies

3.9

Robert Denver, CO

My evaluation is the Plan Detail statements on the official Signa website, for Sigma Preferred Medicare (HMO) are deceptive, at least related to dental and vision coverage. "Dental Care...Preventive Services: No max plan coverage amount Comprehensive Services: $3,000 every year". Signa accepts only 1 of hundreds of dentists in our area, even excluding our previous dentist in the same network. Basic x-rays were approved and covered but a deep cleaning was recommended as a preventative measure. Details "Preventive Dental Services› Prophylaxis/cleaning (one every six months) $0 copay. Neither the dental office or Sigma bothered to clarify, until I was scheduled and in the office with a $100 charge if I cancelled, that this cleaning, even while qualified for 100% coverage by the plan, still had a $55 co-pay per quadrant ($220 patient pay). I fear what other hidden costs there likely are if I needed any more significant treatments. For vision wear, we are restricted to only approved vision dispensaries where we found prices for very standard glasses to be more than $200 higher than I have paid at even the same chain in the past. If I used the $200 Sigma limit for eyewear my cost with insurance would still be higher than simply using a sale price without insurance. I ended up purchasing 2 pair of glasses at a big box store for over $200 LESS than just 1 pair quoted by the in-plan chain. Frames were comparable, same lens coatings. The chain claimed they used "newer technology" but the "old" technology works fine for me, IF there is a difference. Beware of misleading and selective information!

Joseph from Virginia Miami, FL

Great over the phone customer service. I like that they cover most of the prophylactic 6 month exams (all but $12 in my case) but they don’t cover much for implants, crowns or root canals.

hminfo Olney, MD

The Cigna dental plan that my work has in place is the most comprehensive dental plan I have ever had. So much is covered under the plan, and the claims are always processed very quickly.

Josh Brooks Jackson, MS

Cigna Dental insurance is extremely deceitful. They do not pay and will not let you talk to someone on the phone that knows what they are talking about.

Joe

Cigna Dental has proven theirselves & their worth time & time again! They are an extremely intuitive company staffed with actual associates that truly care about you the customer. They can be easily contacted wherever & whenever you may find the need for their assistance. They provide more than just quality insurance for your dollar value, they actually provide a comfortable & well maintained customer service package that includes concierge representatives always at the ready to assist with knowledgeable customized responses to your personal & individual needs. Cigna is definitely a company that truly cares about their most precious assets, the customers they very happily serve!

Jaelynn Florence Tallahassee, FL

Cigna is a great insurance company, they have great customer service and I have been with them for over 10 years.

Stephanie Love Herriman, UT

I’ve had Cigna for several years for my dental insurance and I’ve been very satisfied with their coverage. We get two free cleaning a year and they offer $2000 towards braces and I know a lot of insurances only offer $1000-1500. It helped a lot when I had all three of my girls in braces at the same time. If I ever have any questions they are able to help me and are very professional.

take7 Sandy, UT

Carry Cigna now. It is great for accepting not just locally but out of state too. Our coverage is great for our needs and they are always in touch on visit follow ups and information. Customer service is very helpful. I’ve used chat and call in and they followed up and even called the facilities to confirm coverage and give me names and details who to be in touch with if there was a problem.

Jewell Phoenix, AZ

Cigna provides better coverage for various dental needs than other companies do. They also don't require you to pay for 6 to 12 months of premiums before they will pay on claims. .

Kassidy Roberts CA

As I mentioned before Cigna is great but many places don’t accept it

Danial Beck Missouri City, TX

Easy registration, they didn't make it complicated and their web site made it easy how to select the plan which fits. Also used their customer service as a new policy holder who has moved from another country and it was brilliant.

Mike Ika West Valley City, UT

I am currently with Cigna for my dental insurance. I love that I dont have to pay a copay for preventative care. This totally makes it worth it to stay current on dental cleanings and checkups in order to avoid more expensive bills caused by waiting.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

I had Cigna dental-insurance at a previous employers and it worked great. I was able to do what I needed to do for my family and myself without having to pay through the nose. Good group of dentists to choose from and easy to have the insurance go through and then pay my portion.

Picnicky82 Logan, UT

I have had Cigna dental insurance for a long time. I had to have some significant work done and was so pleased with my coverage.

Vinh Rochester, NY

Last year I had paid an additional premium for the dental insurance through my employer that was contracted to cover orthodontics $1500 (life time maximum) for my son. Early spring 2018 my son got that procedure done. Now March 2019 I just received a bill from my son's orthodontist to pay $289.41 because Cigna won't pay any more to complete that $1500 as contracted to cover for my son's 2018. I called Cigna and found out that Cigna stretched out quarterly payments to my son's orthodontist and canceled the last payment that was falling in this year Spring 2019 even though my son's orthodontic invisalign procedure already done last spring 2018 and told me because I terminated the dental insurance. However, this year 2019 I am still with the same Cigna Dental Insurance through my same employer but I changed to a premium only cover $1000 life time maximum for orthodontics since my family/kids do not need orthodontics right now. Plus, I was already done my part paid the difference for my son's orthodontic procedure last year and I paid the whole year for that premium dental insurance to cover $1500 as contracted. Finally I believe this misleading advertise and wrongful operative business by Cigna. All my coworkers and myself don't like Cigna Dental even my dentist and and it's very hard to find good dentists that accept Cigna Dental. We have tried to convince the employer/HR to change the dental insurance .

Jonathan D. Kershaw Gainesville, FL

DON'T sign up for Cigna Dental Insurance. I'm just now receiving multiple bills from dentist offices who thought Cigna was going to cover a certain amount on procedures I had done a year ago and now I'm on the hook for over $600. One of them almost went to collections because I moved and so much time had passed that my mail forwarding had expired so I wasn't receiving statements in the mail. Cigna reached out to me once and when I explained the situation it's basically been radio silence. So if your dentist office recommends Cigna Insurance, tell them no thank you and maybe warn them that they may end up trying to collect for months as mine did.

Dory Springville, UT

When my daughter was born Cigna negotiated a few prices but covered nothing. Then when my husband went to get a filling through their dental coverage we were told they only cover fillings in the front teeth. Who needs fillings in the front teeth! So we asked for the bigger plan that covers fillings, they said we would be good to go come June. So in June we finished a root canal for my husband and guess what, we get a bill for 400$ so i called Cigna, apparently our new plan is not effective until next year! However, we are paying the premium for it now! Do yourself a favor and don't let Cigna steal your money.

BrooklynWriter Brooklyn, NY

Like most dental insurance companies, Cigna basically covers a biannual checkup and most of the cost of, say, cavities. Beyond that, you're on your own. The annual and lifetime cap is pretty modest, and hope that your child doesn't need orthodontics.

Mr. Sampson Blacklick, OH

Easy to do business with. I would recommend them to other, however I feel like there should be more in network locations. More coverage would be preferable, but you don't pay much for dental anyways. Better to have it then not have it at all.

Gerald Hays Layton, UT

I had Cigna through my previous job and they were very reasonably priced and they paid the claims as expected. When I have needed to contact them about claims they were able to help me promptly.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

We liked the coverage that our Cigna Dental plan offered. We were able to find a great dentist that was covered by the plan. Because we were able to see the dentist every 6 months for cleanings, we were able to avoid pricey cavities. The work that had to be done had a reasonable co-pay that didn't break the bank.

Leslie Comstock Orem, UT

Love, Love, LOVE Cigna! Easy access online especially when I need to verify insurance & coverage for our patients. Very efficient & quick response. They definitely make things easy!

Amy Decker Bloomington, IN

We have had nothing but really good experiences in using Cigna for our dental coverage. We’ve been with them for years and have never had any trouble with claims or coverage. Love that our coverage goes out of state.

Jennifer Smith Salt Lake City, UT

Our experience with Cigna has been a challenge. Costly mistakes were made on our account that took more than a year to resolve. Their customer service team was unable to resolve the problem. Our account was sent to a resolution team. Eventually the issue was resolved, and we continue to use this insurance company - but we are vigilant with each claim that is submitted because mistakes are made.

Dalin Conner Fallon, NV

Cigna has always been super easy to work with and hasn't failed me yet! The coverage is awesome and covers eyes, dental, and a back surgery (so far). It's extremely hassle free and any issues get resolved quickly.

Fernando

First time use there services and i am great I'll I went to the right place all people in this location very nice and services are great

Bill Conrad Newberry, FL

I bought a Cigna advantage Dental plan that offered 100% no deductible coverage for preventive and diagnostic treatment inside or outside network. When I got treated, I was billed for 70% of the bill. Turns out, what Cigna covers is 100% of their “Maximum Allowable Coverage” (MAC) which is only a third of the cost. You are liable for the balance. This is some VERY deceptive wording they use to scam the unwary customer. This company is a predatory, scam , ripoff that preys on Veterans and Seniors!!! Do not but a policy!!! You will be disappointed!!!

Sharea Atlanta, GA

Cigna dental sent checks that i never received. Asked them to stop payment and send out more. Its been TWO YEARS; this went unoticed by my ortho now for the past 4 months me and the orrho have been calling. They LIE say they are going to process and have it sent. Ive talked to 5 different chicks 2 different managers...jana a. veronica j. john d. to name a few...NOT ONE have kept their promise and i havent heard back from one. This company is a FRAUD.

Jon Posey Riverton, UT

We switched to Cigna to get a larger nationwide network which is great and all but it seems they have expanded that network at the expense of smaller local networks which to me isn't great.

Ron Murrey Clovis, CA

I have dental insurance with Cigna. They only offer a $1500 dental plan. I would like to have a higher dental coverage but they don't offer it. They also don't cover a larger portion of the cost of the dental service. They only cover x-rays for the 6 month checkups and not for dental work done at other times.

Katie Carver Cheyenne, WY

We have had Cigna insurance for a few years and we have been very happy with it. They have always covered what we needed them to cover. No complaints.

Kristiane R Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

We didn't have Cigna Dental insurance for very long, maybe, a year and a half, and then our employer switched companys. They were fine. Didn't have any problems with them and I think their coverage was pretty comparable to other company's. Accepted our family dentist and claims were paid in a timely manner.

Paige Baldwin Wellsville, UT

We used Cigna for the longest time. It wasn’t the best we used but not the worst either. They had pretty good coverage and our billing process usually went smoothly. Their was always willing to help.

Brittany Bray Springville, UT

We have Cigna for our health and dental insurance. They have coveted so many appointments I didn’t think they would cover. I have been very impressed.

Angela Nelson Pleasant Grove, UT

We have Cigna dental insurance. So far it has worked OK for us, but we haven't had anything other than routine cleanings and 1 small filling. My dentist office says Cigna is slightly below average when compared to other insurance companies for dental insurance. I feel that they are about average.

Mila Vilesova

Very high premiums for my PPO 2, but 0 deductible and $5,000 a year are worth it. Definitely a good choice if you need a lot of work done.

MattB , UT

Good customer support, able to call and talk to someone I can understand. Seems to be a good price for insurance, pretty happy

Linda Hays Layton, UT

I have liked Cigna for my dental insurance. They are clear on what they cover and my provider has never had trouble collecting psyment.

AGenes Eagle Mountain, UT

I had Cigna for 3 years and never had any problems. The dental insurance is okay and is usually the same as others. Covers basic cleanings and saves you on other procedures.

Lily South Jordan, UT

I don’t really like Cigna it hey didn’t cover anything for insurance. They never really helped me out. Before that they were pretty good.

Ron Durfey Pleasant Grove, UT

I had Cigna with a previous employer and absolutely loved their coverage and service. I wish I could go back to Cigna. They always covered my procedural needs.

Brenda Spanish Fork, UT

This is my insurance . We have a great dental plan . It's nice to know our insurance is so easy to work with and they cover so much

Chase H Provo, UT

I have Cigna dental insurance. It is okay coverage. I have one of the better plans but it doesn't cover fluoride treatment. Also isn't the cheapest around.

Emily Grossman Corpus Christi, TX

Cigna dental is easy to use. Most dentist take it. The claims are always paid in a timely matter.

Matthew Hall Moselle, MS

Coverage on dental health is immaculate, 12 cavities filled with only 40 dollars out of pocket

Danish Noor Peoria, IL

VERY BAD EXPERIENCE. They are not covering the benefits that the dental office claim the insurance will going to cover 100%. always downgrading my coverage w/o any notice or information.

MARIE-NOELLE MARQUIS Los Angeles, CA

Great experience all around. Affordable and really great customer service. Would definitely recommend them!

AD Milford, IN

Cigna has excellent customer service, knowledgeable representatives, and easy to understand pricing and policies.

Rathan Kumar Trabuco Canyon, CA

Cigna has a lot of dental professionals in my area and was a great source to find a new dentist once I switched to them.

Jennifer Wilson Salt Lake City, UT

We are happy with coverage for check ups every 6 months. We do sometimes pay a lot for cavity fillings and non routine procedures.