GoFundMe

9.3

GoFundMe

verified
About a 3% Payment Processing Fee

In 2008 Brad Damphousse had a unique idea to create a web-based, social savings account. His best friend Andy Ballester, who happened to be a talented programmer, understood Brad’s vision; Andy quit his job to help his best friend develop this new idea. In the beginning, their company was a subscription fundraising service for small charities. After reading through many inspiring, uplifting stories shared by users, Brad and Andy were truly touched—they felt a profound determination to improve and expand their services. After some important breakthroughs in the world of online payments, the team was finally able to relaunch the product of their dreams: GoFundMe. The best friend duo devoted much time and energy responding to user feedback in an effort to make improvements on the site. Their hard work is paying off—today GoFundMe is one of the world’s most popular crowdfunding site with over $5 billion raised, and they are the cheapest crowdfunding platform!

The Good

• Fund Type
  • Fees
  • Maximum Allowed Raise
  • Deadlines
  • Administrative Work Options
  • Receiving Funds

Fund Type

GoFundMe uses a 'Keep What You Raised' funding type. With GoFundMe, reaching your goal is not required. This works well because you keep each and every donation you receive.

Fees

GoFundMe doesn't charge anything to create and share your online fundraising campaign, nor do they charge for using the platform. GoFundMe is almost entirely free except for the payment processing fee, which is about 3% and will be deducted from each donation. There is no partial or non-completion fee in the case you do not complete your campaign. There are crowdfunding companies that do charge you a fee if you fail to meet your campaign goal, so this is definitely a perk of going with GoFundMe.

Maximum Allowed Raise

Many crowdfunding platforms using donation models for individuals have a maximum amount or limit to what funding amount you can raise. GoFundMe has no funding limit. This lets you raise as much as you want or need in one campaign.

Deadlines

With GoFundMe, there are no deadlines or time-limits. Your campaign will remain live until you choose to stop donations or remove the campaign altogether. In some cases, users have left their campaigns up indefinitely as a lasting memory of all the wonderful comments and support they received. This is a great policy for personal fundraisers. Sometimes people can't donate within 30 or 40 days (a typical deadline for many crowdfunding platforms), so having an indefinite deadline works very well.

Administrative Work Options

GoFundMe offers users several automated features for administrative tasks, which are extremely helpful for individuals trying to run an effective campaign without past experience. Even if they have experience, admin tasks take a lot of time and can get confusing the larger the donator pool gets.

GoFundMe's automotive administrative task features include: Thank You Messages: You can thank donators individually by selecting a recent donation and clicking the 'Say Thanks' button. GoFundMe will let you personalize the message and send it directly to the donor's email address.

Update Feature: In doing so, you can choose to share the post with your current supporters and donors - you can even share the Update on Facebook to attract more support. Update messages can also include up to 3 photos or videos. GoFundMe's 'Update' feature is a great way to keep your campaign fresh and your donators up to date without having to do it manually, which would take a lot of time away from campaigning.

Quick Assistance: GoFundMe will generally respond to your emails within 30 minutes during the day with any questions you have about your campaign.

Receiving Funds

Typically on crowdfunding platforms you have to wait until the end of your campaign to begin collecting funds. With GoFundMe, you can request your money right away as the donations come in. You can choose to withdraw your balance directly to your bank account. (Campaigns in the US may also request a check). Withdrawals may be made daily, weekly, or monthly and will always process for the full available balance in the user's WePay account. Funds may be received via electronic bank transfer within 2-5 business days, or paper check within 7-10 business days. (Daily checks are not available, weekly or monthly only.) However, although you can request a withdrawal at any time, the time it takes to receive funds is a bit long when compared to other crowdfunding sites that can sometimes do it in as soon as 24 hours.

The Bad

• Model Type
  • No PayPal

Model Type

GoFundMe operates as a Donation Model. Equity model campaigns are not offered through GoFundMe. A donation model is a good thing for personal fundraising, but GoFundMe recommends signing up with your Facebook account if you want to appear in GoFundMe's Public Search Directory. Although this is optional, it actually isn't if you want your campaign to be featured publicly on their website. Not everyone has a Facebook account or wants to open one. Being "forced" to do so is not a good thing.

No PayPal

It's important to note that although PayPal Giving Fund is GoFundMe's payment processor for their charity campaigns, there is still no PayPal for personal fundraising.

The Bottom Line

It's no surprise that GoFundMe is one of the world's most popular crowdfunding sites. The company is highly successful. Customer Happiness representatives deliver answers to questions in a timely manner, (often within 30 minutes or less of submission), there's plenty of flexibility with funding options, and there are no limits on how much you can raise and no time restraints. GoFundMe is also the cheapest crowdfunding platform out there. A downside is that equity model campaigns are not offered and PayPal cannot be used for personal fundraising, but all in all, users can expect a convenient, simple experience when funding.

Bella Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

GoFundMe was a great opportunity to fundraise money that we needed. We love what GoFundMe has to offer.

Haidyn Houtz
August 20th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

I love this site because it is so simple and easy to use! I had such a successful experience using this website!

Jodie Larson
August 17th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

GoFundMe has allowed me to help friends that are in need. What a blessing it is to many people to be able to find help and support through their network of friends, family members, acquaintences, and sometimes even strangers!

Ann Cornelius
August 7th, 2018 Sapulpa, OK DETAILS

We raised over $1000 on GoFundMe, but are unable to get the money out for the funeral expenses. There is no withdrawal ability. Very sad day for the family, and no response from GoFundMe. I think this is a scam of the most outrageous proportions.

James Nelson
August 2nd, 2018 Falls Church, VA

I have had great experiences helping needy families. Staff members have trusted the brand enough to donate!

Hannah Cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

GoFundMe is very easy to use. I have both raised money and donated.

Jasmyne Walker
July 30th, 2018 DETAILS

*UPDATE* Since writing this review my issue with GFM has been resolved, but I'm going to leave this review here as it may help someone in the future. Go Fund Me had replied to my requests, but had used a different email address so the answer was in my spam folder. I never use my laptop for emails, and as spam folders are not supported on tablet, I had no idea. I had received confirmation from GFM that they had received my request email, but then nothing...so I made the assumption they were not attempting to reply to me and didnt even consider they would use a different email to make contact. I have suggested they add to their support information that they reply from a different email, and to check spam email. What a rort. There is $10k in a Stripe acc that can't be accessed (I cannot figure out why as one intial payment of $5k was paid to the beneficiary without issue) and GFM will NOT reply to my REPEATED requests over the past 3 weeks to help me pay this money to the 23yo stroke victim that our rural, small community has managed to raise the funds for. For the record Stripe have tried to help but I've been advised that ultimately GFM have precedent over the funds. THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTACT GFM.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 31, 2018

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback with us, Jasmyne. We're glad we could help get this resolved for you, and we always recommend creating a GoFundMe account with an easily accessible email. If we can help with anything else at all, please do let us know.

Sandra Jensen
July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

I have used this but never certain money could get there.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 31, 2018

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us, Sandra! We're committed to upholding our status as the #1 safest place to give online, and we always make sure the correct beneficiary receives funds raised on GoFundMe. If our Customer Happiness Team can help answer any questions for you, please feel free to contact them at www.gofundme.com/contact.

Anne Kimball
July 27th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

My best friend had their moving truck stolen so we did a GoFundMe to help them replace the things they had lost and it was so simple to get the word out to everyone. It was an incredible success! It was easy to use and easy for people to donate to.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 29, 2018

We're glad to hear GoFundMe could be here for your best friend, Anne! We're sorry their moving truck was stolen, but we're honored to be the platform to get them back on their feet.

Sharon Reed
July 19th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

We had a family member have great success using this to pay medical bills. Now I like to just look through and find people in need.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 29, 2018

We're so glad to have you as part of our community, Sharon. We're glad your family member could get the funds they needed, and we're honored that you want to give back to others on GoFundMe.

Sara Jane
July 18th, 2018 Crestwood, KY DETAILS

Very convenient. Quick start up and easy disbursement of funds.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 29, 2018

We're so glad to hear it was easy to set up and withdraw funds, Sara! Thanks so much for your kind words, and please let our Customer Happiness Team know if we can help with anything else at all.

Alicia Holman
July 11th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I like this site as a way to quickly start a fund for someone in need. I don't like that I get a lot of Spam once I've become a user. They also take a lot off the top. Now that they are a larger company, I think they can get more advertisers and reduce the amount they take from those in need.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

We appreciate the feedback, Alicia! We're happy to no longer have a platform fee, and our standard payment processing costs help keep GoFundMe the #1 safest place to give, online. We don't advertise on our platform, but we will absolutely take your feedback to our team and see how we can improve on our email messaging!

Trent Allen
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Amazing website. After a terrible accident we used this website to reach out to many friends and family and gave them a chance to donate. Easy to use and the fees was very reasonable. It helped us in a very difficult circumstance.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

We're sending our condolences to you and your family, Trent. We're glad that GoFundMe could be here for you in your time of need, and our Customer Happiness Team is always available if any questions or concerns arise during your time on GoFundMe.

Monai West
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Used for my daughter's cheer fundraiser. Was able to make what she needed!

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

We're so glad to hear it, Monai! All the best to you and your daughter, we're happy you could use GoFundMe for her cheer fundraiser!

Brayden D.
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

GoFundMe is by far the best way to have an organized way to get a charity going. It is easy, organized, and able to understand.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

Thank you for your kind words, Brayden! We're happy that campaign organizers can raise funds directly for their favorite charities, as well as their own causes.

Troy Siren
July 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Easy to use and great to connect with people that want to invest.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

We're glad to hear you've found GoFundMe easy to use, Troy! If you have any questions about GoFundMe, please feel free to contact our Customer Happiness Team and they'll be here to help, 24/7!

Trista Siren
June 28th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

I love GoFundMe. It's an amazing way to raise awareness from kind people and it all goes to people who need it much.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

Thanks so much for your kind words, Trista! Our team is honored to provide this platform for an easy way to raise funds online for any cause.

Joshua Ashlyn
June 21st, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Amazing resource after a terrible tragedy. Extremely easy to connect with social media accounts which caused our cause to spread fast.

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

We are glad to hear GoFundMe could be here for you, Joshua. We're sorry you've experienced tragedy and our team is sending our condolences to you. If you have any other questions or concerns, our Customer Happiness Team is here to assist, 24/7.

Kristin
June 6th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used go fund me only once to help raise money for a friend that lost her husband, to help cover funeral expenses. It was great.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad GoFundMe could be here for you in your friend's time of need, Kristin. We're sending our thoughts to your friend and our Customer Happiness Team will be here for you if you have any questions during your time on GFm, 24/7.

CAROLE SCOVILLE
June 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Simple to use - easy way to donate to friends or a cause.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Thanks for your feedback, Carole! We strive everyday to make GoFundMe the easiest and safest place to donate online.

Avery Fowler
May 31st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

We have used this service when there was a friend who was in need of help financially. It worked great and we were able to raise the funds needed.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us, Avery. We're glad to hear you were able to raise the funds needed for your friend in need, and our Customer Happiness Team is here to assist if any issues come up during your time on GoFundMe.

H Moore
May 29th, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

I've donated to many fundraisers through GoFundMe. It's a great company to help raise money for those in need.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so glad to hear you've been able to donate to multiple campaigns, H! Thanks so much for your kind words, and we'll be here to help if you ever have trouble making more donations!

Kelly
May 18th, 2018

I reached out to the customer service team to make some corrections on an account. The staff were amazing and helped to resolve my issue quickly. Excellent service.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so glad to hear our Customer Happiness Team was able to help, Kelly! If you ever have any other questions or concerns while using GoFundMe, they'll be here to help, 24/7.

Samantha
May 4th, 2018 Millville, UT DETAILS

I have seen the good that can come from these! People are able to donate any sum of money to help someone in need when tragedy strikes.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Our goal is to always be here when someone is in need, Samantha. We never want to see anyone go through a tragedy, but we're glad our platform is a collective space for people to help other people. Thanks so much for your kind feedback, we truly appreciate it!

Doom Truong
May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT DETAILS

Awesome concept. Easy to use and register. However I do wish that they did not take a fee at all or at least keep it very minimal.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Thanks so much for your kind words about our GoFundMe product, Doom! We appreciate your feedback about our fees, and while we do have standard payment processing costs for the safe transaction of funds, this helps maintain our safety and security to ensure all funds can reach the intended campaign organizer and beneficiary.

Erin Rhoton
April 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I contributed to a GoFundMe after a friend's brother passed away to help his surviving family members. It is a good way to help others that you don't know personally.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear your friend's family was able to start that GoFundMe, Erin. Thanks for your kind words and we're all sending our thoughts to your friend and their family. If you ever have any questions about donations or starting a GoFundMe, our Customer Happiness Team will be here to assist.

Sharon Connolly
April 24th, 2018 Woburn, MA

I am doing this fundraiser for a friend who is dying of cancer. He changed his mind at first and I had to work with GFM to put the fundraiser on hold and then turn it back on. They were extremely responsive and sympathetic to the situation. I then had to work with them and the wife to set up the bank info and the beneficiary. Again, they were quick to answer any and all questions. Most of this was going on while I was on the road traveling, so I wasn't always able to get to my e-mails. It has been a great experience so far and we have brought in much needed funding for my friend's care.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear GoFundMe could be here for you in your time of need, Sharon. We're sending our best to your friend and their family, and our Customer Happiness Team will always be ready to assist, 24/7.

Robyn C Hargrave
May 18th, 2018

Very user friendly, help facilities are terrific. The only suggestions I would make is that more fonts could be available for presentation of content but I guess there is a reason for that.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so glad to hear the site is working well for you, Robyn! We appreciate your feedback on having more fonts available, and while that's not something we have available at the moment, we'll absolutely share this with our team. If you have any other questions or concerns while using GoFundMe, our Customer Happiness Team is here to help.

Trent
April 17th, 2018 Provo, UT DETAILS

Seems like a good site. My only complaint is that I keep getting emails for funds that I am not interested in.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so appreciative of your feedback, Trent! We're happy to make sure you're only getting the most essential emails, so if you're still receiving emails you don't want, please contact our Customer Happiness Team. They'll be here to help, 24/7!

Kathy
April 17th, 2018 West, TX DETAILS

I was nervous about the process, but it was surprisingly easy. Also, when I did have a question I was contacted very quickly with the answer.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear it was easy to set up your GoFundMe, Kathy! If you ever have any concerns while using GoFundMe, our Customer Happiness Team will be here to help, 24/7!

Chase Huntzinger
April 16th, 2018 Provo, UT

I've never donated, but I like the concept. If you are starting a go fund me, make sure to get the word out on social media to get funded. Simply starting a campaign won't do it.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Thanks so much for your feedback, Chase! With over 10,000 campaigns created each day, it can be tough to stand out, but our campaign coaches are here to help offer tips to reach your goal. We definitely recommend using social media if that's what works for you, we've seen it work for so many on GoFundMe!

Michael
April 16th, 2018 Ogden, UT

Very clever and I’ve seen it help slot of people

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

Thanks for your kind words, Michael! If you ever have any questions about using GoFundMe, please let our Customer Happiness Team know, they're happy to help!

john holmes
April 16th, 2018 Punta Gorda, FL

The process of setting up the GoFundMe account was straight forward. When I ran into a couple questions the support staff was superb!!!! They responded within a very short time (usually less then an hour) and worked hard to help me not only solve the question I had but make the campaign better. Truly an excellent experience!!!

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so glad to hear our Customer Happiness Team was able to help, John! They are proud to offer prompt and helpful support, 24/7! Thanks for being a part of our GoFundMe community!

Dario Fadiga
April 16th, 2018 Indio, CA

I contributed, through GoFundMe to the fund for the lady cyclist who was run down by a car during the 2018 Tour De Palm Springs, I took exception to the $15.00 tip to GoFundMe and that was later returned to my account as GFM had promised.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We never want to take a tip unless you want to give one, Dario! Thank you for contacting our Customer Happiness Team so we could get that tip refunded for you right away, and if you have any other questions or concerns, we'll be here to help.

Hilde Schlosar
April 13th, 2018 DETAILS

GoFundMe has consistently refused to release funds to a small local charity. I have donated to this cause and so far as $0 has been released to them.0

The GoFundMe TeamJul 08, 2018

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, Hilde! We're glad we were able to contact you and ensure your donation was received by the charity. If we can improve on anything else, please do let us know.

Diannna
April 11th, 2018 Berea, OH

I found GoFudMe to be very simple to set up my photos, links, and sharing. Personally, I was raising money for my local Fire Dept. to have Oxygen saving masks for animals and reached my goal successfully! Once met, I mistakenly deleted my account before sharing. By contacting them, it was easy to recover and post my accomplishments.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear you had an easy experience setting up your GoFundMe, Diannna! Our Customer Happiness Team was happy to get your account all back online, and if you ever run into any other issues, please let them know! Thanks for being a part of our GoFundMe community!

Landon Robison
April 11th, 2018 Layton, UT DETAILS

I have never set up a GoFundMe account, but I helped fund a video game one time on their site and it was fast and really easy to do. They reached their funding goal and sent me a really cool collectors edition copy of the game.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear you had a great donation experience, Landon! We're glad to hear the campaign reached it's goal and if we can help with anything else during your time on GoFundMe, our Customer Happiness Team will be here to assist.

Coleen Spatafora
April 10th, 2018 DETAILS

I was impressed with communication following my donation.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're so glad to hear that, Coleen! If our Customer Happiness Team can help with any questions or concerns you have during your GoFundMe experience, please do let us know!

Rita
April 10th, 2018 Chicago, IL

Very helpful customer service. Site is easy to navigate. Having some trouble with the app in that it keeps logging me out but otherwise overall positive experience.

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We're glad to hear our Customer Happiness Team was able to help, Rita. We've made a few updates to our app and it looks beautiful and works great! If you're continuing to have that issue, please do let our team know, we're here for you 24/7.

Adria Moskowitz
April 9th, 2018 Kirkland, WA DETAILS

GoFundMe asked me to submit a review. Negative: When I first tried to set up my account, it claimed my userid already existed. I did not set up a password. It would not let me set up a password. I clicked the link to send me an email to re-set my password. This never arrived. I checked my spam filter. Nothing. Positive: I emailed customer support and told them the re-set password email never arrived. A customer service representative emailed me the re-set password link. Though she did say "the emails probably got stuck in your spam filter." {... so kind of negative cuz I'm not an idiot ...) Go Fund Me is running on completely average!!

The GoFundMe TeamJun 14, 2018

We appreciate the feedback, Adria! We're always looking to improve our automated emails, and with your help, we can make the GoFundMe experience better for all!