Credit Karma

Credit Karma Logo

6.9

Credit Karma

Credit Karma offers a weekly refresh rate

Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch. Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the heart of personal finance, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free monitoring, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Price
  • Two official credit reports
  • Credit scores
  • Alerts
  • Sleek mobile app
  • Excellent credit education
  • Outstanding tools

Price

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that it is free. At absolutely no cost, it will provide members with unlimited free access to their credit reports from both TransUnion and Equifax. Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Straight from Equifax and TransUnion, these fully-functional reports are updated every week. Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores (more on that in a minute), the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report. VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, you can see your VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track. Another cool feature is that you can actually compare your credit scores to others in your area, age group, and so forth.

Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify you by email of anything from a change in one of your credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth. Every time you log into your account, you can check for changes on your credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows you to access all information on your credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go. The app currently has an average rating of 4.5/5 stars in both the Apple and Android app stores.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where you can get advice on all aspects of your credit and scores.

Outstanding Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion. The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing credit report
  • No FICO scores
  • Privacy and security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling your credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit. There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been a significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and outstanding educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users. The company provides enough information to gauge where you're at and what direction you're going, giving full access to your credit reports at absolutely no cost.

For these reasons, we recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

Easy to use, good information. Helpful reminders to keep your credit up!

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Great, free service that allows you to see your credit score and get reports. Easy to use and helpful!

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

waste of money for a fake credit score. don't waste your time and money.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Credit Karma gave me a false credit score. i didn't find out until i went to apply for a car loan and it was a lot higher than what Credit Karma gave me. i was not happy at all.

Meliame Selu
August 27th, 2018 Layton, UT

I love how I get emails how my credit is doing. Good updates but not sure how accurate.

NT
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

got my credit score in minutes. quick and easy process. straight to the point. and it was very cheap to get my score.

Mallory Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

LOVE Credit Karma. It let's me see an estimate of my credit score any time I want to and gives me pro tips for how to make my credit go up. It has really helped me get on top of my credit.

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

The mobile app has made it easy and convenient for me to keep track of my credit. It also helps me with it’s different service on how to maintain good credit.

Carolynn
August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Signed up for Credit Karma and it has been very helpful in trying to get things paid off to help build credit.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Always easy to use and hasn't been wrong yet. Like that its free and easy to use.

Robert
July 30th, 2018 Washington, MI

They have been great with us for the last 10 years, they locked us out of our account after someone tried to hack there way in. So neither of us could get in but after sending in copies of water bills, etc. we just changed passwords. Due to the Equifax data breach we have watches on savings, checking, etc. You set the limit and they inform you of activity. I find this company fantastic and highly recommend it. It also shows all the factors that influence your credit worthiness.

Sandra Jensen
July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Appreciate their keeping me informed about my credit score.

Taylor Vance
July 26th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Real easy to use interface. Gives you doable activities to raise your credit score. Good info on there.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

This is the best tool in my opinion for checking your credit. They check your credit on two of the three credit bureaus and you can check your credit as much as you want for free and it won't damage your score.

Jim Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Very handy service. Monthly monitor update is very helpful. I have worked hard for years to have a great credit score. Credit karma is a help to monitor my accounts for accuracy.

Rhonda stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Easy to use. Good informational site.

Julie Martinez
July 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I love the ease of being able to see where my credit scores are and who is reporting what. It is free and has an app that is easy to navigate.

Monai West
July 5th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ

Only cost $1 for a trial. Was able to find out info I needed . Contacts me regularly and especially important when a change occurs.

Doom Truong
May 1st, 2018 Lehi, UT

Have had credit karma for more than 6 years. Always very close to actual credit report. Best free report out there that doesnt affect your credit. Accounts are usually updated within a week.

Nik Anderson
April 23rd, 2018 South Jordan, UT DETAILS

They are good for a ballpark estimate on your fico credit score. But they can be off like 15 points on occasion which makes a big difference when applying for a mortgage.

Jeff Martin
April 19th, 2018 Layton, UT

Easy place to check your credit for free. I would recommend using. They make you do some steps before but it's not too bad.

Nathan
April 9th, 2018 Layton, UT

I think its awesome that they will let you check your credit score whenever you want. I am sure they have other great features that I still need to check out.

Natasha
December 19th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

It is a good site. It is pretty detailed without affecting my credit which is nice.

Emerald Scott
December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT

It's a great tool to watch your credit score and get helpful tips for your credit. One thing that's not so great is that the score they give you can be up to 100 points off, which is a bit frustrating.

xfini
August 29th, 2017 Miami, FL

I applied to the credit card suggested by them, and I was approved. Great service

Julie Firkins
June 13th, 2017 Orem, UT

credit karma was spot on for my credit report, great phone app, they found things on my credit that shouldn't have been their that i was able to correct, i would recommend them for sure

Susan Stewart
June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I mostly use the Credit Karma app, and it has been great. I went through a rough time a few years ago, and have been able to use tips from Credit Karma to improve my credit score. I love how easy it is to keep track of my score, and it was really easy to apply for a recommended credit card through their website. I would definitely recommend using them.

Doyal Stewart
June 5th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Credit karma has been something our entire family uses. My daughter showed it to us and signed us up on it several years ago, and we have used it regularly since. The website had such great information, was very easy to navigate, and I learned things about my credit score I didn't know. I was also able to see things that needed to be fixed.

lance
September 1st, 2015 Denver, CO

It was awesome, easy to set up an account and a lot of cool features

LaShonda Charlton
July 1st, 2014 Southampton, PA

Love this site used it to find my starting point and cleaned up my credit so I could buy my house.

[email protected]
June 25th, 2014 Riverside, CA

The credit karma is the next best tool I have for changing my credit future and I am glad that it is around and I will continue to share and speed the word.

Jay Wilder
June 23rd, 2014 Las Vegas, NV

Excellent credit tool !

Maria
June 23rd, 2014 Memphis, TN

This site has helped me so much. I'm so glad I decided to try it. Maybe soon I'll be able to bring my score up thanks to you guys.

tammy
June 23rd, 2014 Ripon, WI

I like being able to see my score with out having to pay .I just wonder what you can buy with on the higher side of good credit.

John
June 23rd, 2014 De Soto, KS

Works great for me!

Heather
June 19th, 2014 Saint Charles, IL

Credit score averages a little lower than the big 3 (which motivates me to improve it)and I have used a few of their offers and the credit building recommendations.

Kemp
June 17th, 2014 OK

Not accurate

Nata Clegg
June 16th, 2014 Fort Worth, TX

Its a good guideline for your credit.

dave
June 10th, 2014 Detroit, MI

So far..pretty decent. Scores seem pretty close tp what I've obtained elsewhere.

Amanda Shipwash
June 9th, 2014 Ardsley, NY

I absolutely love it! Bottom line it's the best!