Credit Karma Logo

Credit Karma

7.7

Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch.

Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free credit monitoring services, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Free Services
  • Two Official Credit Reports
  • VantageScore Credit Scores
  • Helpful Alerts
  • Sleek Mobile App
  • Excellent Credit Education
  • Useful Tools

Free Services

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that its services are free. With no payments required, the company will provide members with access to their credit reports and scores from two of the major credit bureaus, TransUnion and Equifax.

Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Those who have a Credit Karma account are able to receive updates for their TransUnion and Equifax credit reports every week.

Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

VantageScore Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores, the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report.

VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, users can see their VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give them an indication as to whether they are on the right track.

Another feature is that users can compare their credit scores to others in their area, age group, and so forth.

Helpful Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify consumers by email of anything from a change in one of their credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth.

Each time someone logs into their Credit Karma account, they can check for changes on their credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows users to access all information on their credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date, online library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where users can get advice on all aspects of their credit and scores.

Useful Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion.

The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing Credit Report
  • No FICO Scores
  • Privacy and Security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling a user's credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit.

There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and helpful educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users.

Although Credit Karma does not provide FICO scores and does not give users access to their Experian credit reports, the company does seem to provide enough basic information for users to gauge where they are at and what direction they are going when it comes to credit.

We recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

Credit Karma is a free credit checking service. They combine reporting for Transunion and Equifax into one location. You will find a true and more accurate credit score from Credit Karma than from Experian. Experian inflates your credit score and you will be disappointed if you quote that score to a lender. They just laugh at you. If you want to know your real score use Credit Karma. Like most credit source companies they make money by directing you to additional credit offers like cards, car loans, mortgages and insurance companies. Ignore the offers and take control of your real credit score. I have been a Credit Karma user for more than 3 years. The app on iPhone is easy to use, and I use it much more than the website, but both are available. You receive notices to check your score especially if there are changes. Credit Karma is free.

MindyV Lubbock, TX

Credit Karma is a great website!!!! They allow you to look at your credit scores without it affecting your scores. And they offer ways to help improve your credit.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Very easy to use. No fees connected to the site and I like having the updates amount my credit score every now and then. They don’t send too many emails and provide recommendations when appropriate.

Tommy McCarlie Chicago, IL

I like the goofy little graphics that tell me I'm a responsible adult and my credit would allow me to qualify for loans with great interest rates. Still, I wonder how accurate the scores are at times. What is your secret Credit Karma?

Whitney Wilkins West Valley City, UT

Credit Karma makes it so easy to monitor your credit right from your phone. There's no reason to ever worry or stress. It's super easy to use and clear to understand.

Bria Daley Tallahassee, FL

What I like about Credit Karma is that I am able to periodically check my credit score daily, without having to worry about my credit score decreasing every time I check.

Jared Provo, UT

I use Credit Karma regularly and have been nothing but impressed with their services! It's nice to be able to check my credit score without having it count against me. I'll continue to use them in the future.

Joannetta Jarman Secaucus, NJ

It's nice to know where my credit is sometimes if we need to apply for a loan. this free service has helped me so many times. We really like the easiness of the website.

Anne Tallahassee, FL

Very easy and self explanatory to use. Beginner friendly. Gives to types of credit scores and tells/alerts me when my score increases and decreases. It contains all my loans and credit card uses and mortgage amount.

Tim Johnson Eureka, IL

Absolutely love CK free to use and easy to navigate

Mary Talladega, AL

Been using Credit Karma as my credit monitoring service for a few years now. Its simple, easy to figure out and best of all FREE! Can't ask for much more than that! Also alerts me to any new credit accounts or if there has been any security breaches I should be aware of. I have had no issues at all with Credit Karma.

Mark Park City, UT

I really like Credit Karma. I have even used them for submitting taxes online the last couple years, because it's FREE! The four stars instead of five is for the following: I tried to set up a savings account with them, but it never would link to our bank properly, even though I followed all their instructions. I contacted customer service, and they never were able to resolve it. I guess Credit Karma is good for just a couple things: checking your credit, and taxes (did I mention it's FREE!)

Robert Washington, MI

They have been great with us for the last 10 years, they locked us out of our account after someone tried to hack there way in. So neither of us could get in but after sending in copies of water bills, etc. we just changed passwords. Due to the Equifax data breach we have watches on savings, checking, etc. You set the limit and they inform you of activity. I find this company fantastic and highly recommend it. It also shows all the factors that influence your credit worthiness.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I mostly use the Credit Karma app, and it has been great. I went through a rough time a few years ago, and have been able to use tips from Credit Karma to improve my credit score. I love how easy it is to keep track of my score, and it was really easy to apply for a recommended credit card through their website. I would definitely recommend using them.

Preston Jackson Lehi, UT

I have really enjoyed using credit karma. It make it very easy for me to keep track of my credit score and see ways to improve it

amycray Bangor, ME

Helpful in determining how to improve my credit score

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Credit Karma has been very helpful to me by teaching me how important a credit rating is and providing me with a way to keep track of my credit score. Their website/app is easy to use and to see what is happening with my credit rating. Thank you for helping me to be proactive in protecting my credit.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I created a Credit Karma account years ago when they 1st came out. They have been amazing at keeping track of my loans and credit score as well as inform me of any increase or decrease in credit score. I think this year we are going to try the new Tax Refund they offer

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Simply one of the best online credit monitoring services out there: Credit Karma. So helpful in improving credit, identifying issues, valuable risk alerts-Credit Karma has simply become invaluable and necessary. If you value smart...then Credit Karma is a must.

Adam W

I have Credi Karma and since using it have increased my score over 100+ points. I've been seriously using it just over a year. I have used it to challenge things on my credit and keep track of everything in one place. A+ in my book and I've never paid them a cent!

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

Credit Karma gives me credit monitoring for free. I have received free credit monitoring from a few other companies but paid by companies who have had data breaches. Those services do not provide anything better than what Credit Karma provides for free.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

Credit karma has been something our entire family uses. My daughter showed it to us and signed us up on it several years ago, and we have used it regularly since. The website had such great information, was very easy to navigate, and I learned things about my credit score I didn't know. I was also able to see things that needed to be fixed.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

I used to work at a bank and Credit Karma by far was the most reliable source to help customers learn about credit, track their credit, and get great deals on rewards credit cards. I like Credit Karma for its ease and simplicity. They do the job of helping people figure out what they need to do and to spot irregularities in their credit history to dispute. I'm not sure how this will change with the new updates happening to FICO scores though! What's more is that the service is free!

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

This app has saved my life! I am young and I never knew how important my credit score is and what it means in life. Having this app on my phone has allowed me to stay alert for criminals, who often steal other people's identity. It also lets me know what exactly is on my credit report so I can know what I owe or if something is incorrect. Credit Karma is the most accurate credit score app that I have, and they always notify me when something new has popped up on her report.

MikeS Toronto, ON

Credit Karma has been pretty accurate on my credit changes. It’s helpful to keep informed.

Jeff Curtis Mapleton, UT

I have used this service for years and have always been satisfied. Experian is the only major credit bureau that is not included

Esmeralda C Sylmar, CA

This app is my best friend. I want to purchase a home within the next two years and this is what helps me continue improving my score to its best potential! Very helpful!

Dayna Riverton, UT

Credit karma does a great job of credit monitoring to make sure you are safe and no one is stealing your identity. I trust them to protect me and my family.

Jim Stewart Queen Creek, AZ

Very handy service. Monthly monitor update is very helpful. I have worked hard for years to have a great credit score. Credit karma is a help to monitor my accounts for accuracy.

Andrea Mora Simpsonville, SC

I get alert emails informing me of anything that affects my credit. When I want a quick look at my balances on my accounts, they're listed and I don't have to login to each account. They give a fairly reliable credit score. I wish they would go back to being able to refresh each account to get the balance as of that day.

Breyanna Odenton, MD

I enjoy using Credit Karma since I can monitor my credit for free. I love their notifications I receive for their app that notifies me immediately of changes to my credit score. Even though credit karma is free is offers great value to its customers.

Brandon San Diego, CA

An easy interface that accurately tells you what your credit score is. Using Credit Karma is so helpful to see where my credit is currently at and they provide methods for you to increase your score. There is no reason not to get it.

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I started using Credit Karma because I opened up my first credit card and within the first statement, they had updated me on my credit score. I also opened up an account with credit karma before my credit card and they even notified me that a new card showed up under my name. Everything has been great so far!

Jeremy Webb Dallas, TX

Credit Karma is a great way to find out your credit score without pulling your credit that could possibly hurt your score. Weekly updates of your credit score makes it easy to keep an eye on your credit and the user friendly websites make finding it a overall great experience.

Bianca Jyotishi DeLand, FL

I've never been so excited about checking my credit score. It's very user friendly and I look forward every week to see my updated score. I can see all of my accounts in one place and I appreciate the tips on how to increase my score.

Nicole Jones Sandy, UT

I have been using Credit Karma for many years to monitor my credit score. I love that Credit Karma notifies me immediately of any change to my credit report. I also love that it's free and simple to use. It just works! I highly recommend Credit Karma.

Ben Pipes ,

I use Credit Karma all the time and find it is helpful when I want to know what my score is but also to get alerts when there has been a change. This helps give me peace of mind to know I can track changes in my credit more readily.

Kaitlyn Rios Ogden, UT

Credit Karma is the best credit monitoring site out there. It is industry leading helping me keep good tabs on changes to my score and alerting me of issues as they happen. They also provide a ton of good tools to address common issues with my credit.

RodrigoRamirez Austin, TX

The absolute best at what they do. They have created a service that shows all of my accounts currently open, ways I can save and it's all provided free of charge. This service has helped me raise my credit score and I can't thank them enough.

Erika Shumway Managua, MN

I love credit karma! It allows me to check my credit score at anytime of the day with no charge. It also gives me suggestions of how to improve my credit score and shows me new credit cards I can get approved for. It is very helpful and reliable.

J. Whelan Long Beach, MS

The best credit monitoring and it's free! I get emails letting me know when my score has changed, Information on how to get better my score, offers from likely financial companies. It even let's me know when a due date is coming up. I can't believe it's free. I highly recommend Credit Karma.

Tom M Holmdel, NJ

I signed up with Credit Karma and I am very happy I did. For years I was not sure if should. I was concerned that it could affect my credit score. I find it to be an easy way to monitor my credit score. They have a lot of helpful tips on the website.

bailey jo Orem, UT

Love Credit Karma. They've helped us to be able to build and monitor our credit once we got married and got our first credit card and bought our first card. They were very helpful to suggest cards that were best for us and very easy to use.

Matthew Carbaugh Herndon, VA

Best free credit monitoring app in my opinion. I use it along with a paid credit monitoring service but atcually receive updates sometimes faster through credit karma, and i really like the user friendly & intuitive displays.

Dee Farquharson Washington, DC

i love tracking my credit with credit karma. They make it easy and less scary. Also, I appreciate how they break down what's hurting and what's helping your credit. It assists in letting me know how best to pay off my credit cards and reach my goals.

Fernando Delgado Tempe, AZ

Love using credit Karma it provides your credit rating and list of accounts open very easy to track and alerts you if their is any new activity. They also provide you other options to get a car loan or credit car where they think they can save you money. love their service.

Sam Anders Orem, UT

Credit Karma has been extremely useful, especially when I first started working on the goal to get my credit back on track. Being able to see what factors that have negatively impacted my credit really helped me in making a plan. I also love that the service is free.

Max Winkel Lindon, UT

This is a terrible company. I got free monitoring because of a breach by a local hospital. They signed me up for a year of Credit Karma. At the end I started getting charged. I didn't realize it and they wouldn't give me my money back. This company only exists because of that sort of thing.

Caitlin Fayetteville, AR

Credit Karma has made checking and keeping up with my credit score, for free, a breeze! I recommend highly!

Anita pea Dallas, TX

Credit karma is the best credit monitoring system out there. With them I was able to relieve my credit score by tons and the on call service was amazing.