Contact A Company$100 Satisfaction Guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

Credit Karma

Credit Karma Logo

Credit Karma

Credit Karma offers a weekly refresh rate

Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch. Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the heart of personal finance, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free monitoring, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Price
  • Two official credit reports
  • Credit scores
  • Alerts
  • Sleek mobile app
  • Excellent credit education
  • Outstanding tools

Price

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that it is free. At absolutely no cost, it will provide members with unlimited free access to their credit reports from both TransUnion and Equifax. Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Straight from Equifax and TransUnion, these fully-functional reports are updated every week. Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores (more on that in a minute), the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report. VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, you can see your VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track. Another cool feature is that you can actually compare your credit scores to others in your area, age group, and so forth.

Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify you by email of anything from a change in one of your credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth. Every time you log into your account, you can check for changes on your credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows you to access all information on your credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go. The app currently has an average rating of 4.5/5 stars in both the Apple and Android app stores.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where you can get advice on all aspects of your credit and scores.

Outstanding Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion. The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing credit report
  • No FICO scores
  • Privacy and security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling your credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit. There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been a significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and outstanding educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users. The company provides enough information to gauge where you're at and what direction you're going, giving full access to your credit reports at absolutely no cost.

For these reasons, we recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

Jorden Laird
December 12th, 2018 Front Royal, VA

for what it is, it's a good easy way to check out some of your credit information - though much like anything else, you have to start paying for any real info

Darius Williams
December 12th, 2018 Alexandria, VA

Really good service to have a general idea of where your credit is at.Not always 100% accurate

Matthew Carbaugh
December 11th, 2018 Herndon, VA DETAILS

Best free credit monitoring app in my opinion. I use it along with a paid credit monitoring service but atcually receive updates sometimes faster through credit karma, and i really like the user friendly & intuitive displays.

Tiffany Barton
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

This website is helping me clean up my credit to buy a home. It makes it easy to read and understand while giving me tips to improve my score. Best part its FREE!!!!

Dee Farquharson
December 6th, 2018 Washington, DC

i love tracking my credit with credit karma. They make it easy and less scary. Also, I appreciate how they break down what's hurting and what's helping your credit. It assists in letting me know how best to pay off my credit cards and reach my goals.

Mia Hernandez
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ

very easy to use app nice to have your credit information at your finger tips love the helpful tips they give to help build your credit as well

edward reese
December 6th, 2018 Hyattsville, MD

easy to use and and sends notifications of changes good bad or other. i love that is always providing suggestions and ways to fix or improve your credit.

Fernando Delgado
December 6th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS

Love using credit Karma it provides your credit rating and list of accounts open very easy to track and alerts you if their is any new activity. They also provide you other options to get a car loan or credit car where they think they can save you money. love their service.

Donna Williams
December 5th, 2018 Phoenix, AZ DETAILS

Credit Karma is a fantastic website with credit monitoring. I turn to them whenever I want to see where my credit is at and what needs to be done to increase my score. Can't go wrong with Credit Karma!

jessica
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ

I like credit Karma. People think that their scores are not accurate but in my opinion they are I have a few apps that check your score and they all have the same amount.

Jami Schmieding
December 5th, 2018 Mesa, AZ DETAILS

Credit Karama is where I look to see my score once a month. I love how they email me as well so I dont forget to check and stay informed.

Amber
December 5th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

Updates from Credit Karma are nice to have to keep up with credit score. The tips they share are helpful as well. And its free

Jeffrey Salas
November 26th, 2018 Gilbert, AZ DETAILS

I currently monitor my credit score through credit karma, I believe this service is genius. They provide 2 credit bureaus for me and give me the ultimate confidence to go into any situation knowing where I will qualify and negotiate with power.

Eric
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA DETAILS

Credit Score, Credit Advice, It's your one stop shop for anything credit. With easy to use interface you cant go wrong. Definitely a fan of this one.

Amber C Frey
November 16th, 2018 San Diego, CA

I'm signed up with Credit Karma and I have no complaints. It's 100% free, and there's really easy access to your credit report as well. Good service.

Kathie Bowman
November 16th, 2018 Lakeside, CA DETAILS

I have the credit karma app on my phone and it is so easy to monitor my credit and what is going on with it. It is updated every 7 days so it is always up to date

Randal hyde
November 6th, 2018 Springfield, MO DETAILS

Credit karma ruins your credit score, they sell your information, and they try to charge you for nothing. I do not recommend.

Mitch Krull
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

Good for semi accurate monitoring. Don't take it as fact tho. Good tips too on improving score.

Adam B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT

Easy to sign up for and they offer a great monthly over view of my credit. It’s great being able to see my credit score whenever I want to.

Rachel B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

I’m not sure if I can trust these guys, it seems my score is different every time I check.

Jill B
November 5th, 2018 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS

This site has helped me keep track of my credit score. It updates frequently and provides great info.

Cody Enslow
November 5th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I have been using their services for free and it’s been really useful since I had some credit issues.

Sam Anders
November 5th, 2018 Orem, UT

Credit Karma has been extremely useful, especially when I first started working on the goal to get my credit back on track. Being able to see what factors that have negatively impacted my credit really helped me in making a plan. I also love that the service is free.

Karen S Priest
November 1st, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

I love Credit Karma. It is really accurate and helps me keep appraised of my score. It gives me reports on a regular basis and is up to date.

Tevita
September 24th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Great for wanting to check your credit and not take a hit. It always send emails if something doesn’t look right or score increased. Easy to use app.

Melissa Gillings
September 17th, 2018

Easy to use, good information. Helpful reminders to keep your credit up!

Dylan Findlay
August 29th, 2018 South Jordan, UT

Great, free service that allows you to see your credit score and get reports. Easy to use and helpful!

Mali
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

waste of money for a fake credit score. don't waste your time and money.

Jr
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

Credit Karma gave me a false credit score. i didn't find out until i went to apply for a car loan and it was a lot higher than what Credit Karma gave me. i was not happy at all.

Meliame Selu
August 27th, 2018 Layton, UT

I love how I get emails how my credit is doing. Good updates but not sure how accurate.

NT
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

got my credit score in minutes. quick and easy process. straight to the point. and it was very cheap to get my score.

Mallory Millett
August 21st, 2018 Lindon, UT

LOVE Credit Karma. It let's me see an estimate of my credit score any time I want to and gives me pro tips for how to make my credit go up. It has really helped me get on top of my credit.

Catherine Taliulu
August 20th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

The mobile app has made it easy and convenient for me to keep track of my credit. It also helps me with it’s different service on how to maintain good credit.

Carolynn
August 20th, 2018 West Jordan, UT

Signed up for Credit Karma and it has been very helpful in trying to get things paid off to help build credit.

jordan cummins
August 2nd, 2018 Gilbert, AZ

Always easy to use and hasn't been wrong yet. Like that its free and easy to use.

Robert
July 30th, 2018 Washington, MI

They have been great with us for the last 10 years, they locked us out of our account after someone tried to hack there way in. So neither of us could get in but after sending in copies of water bills, etc. we just changed passwords. Due to the Equifax data breach we have watches on savings, checking, etc. You set the limit and they inform you of activity. I find this company fantastic and highly recommend it. It also shows all the factors that influence your credit worthiness.

Sandra Jensen
July 30th, 2018 American Fork, UT

Appreciate their keeping me informed about my credit score.

Taylor Vance
July 26th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

Real easy to use interface. Gives you doable activities to raise your credit score. Good info on there.

Spencer Hodgson
July 18th, 2018 Salt Lake City, UT

This is the best tool in my opinion for checking your credit. They check your credit on two of the three credit bureaus and you can check your credit as much as you want for free and it won't damage your score.

Jim Stewart
July 6th, 2018 Queen Creek, AZ DETAILS

Very handy service. Monthly monitor update is very helpful. I have worked hard for years to have a great credit score. Credit karma is a help to monitor my accounts for accuracy.