Credit Karma

7.4

Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch. Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the heart of personal finance, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free monitoring, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Price
  • Two official credit reports
  • Credit scores
  • Alerts
  • Sleek mobile app
  • Excellent credit education
  • Outstanding tools

Price

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that it is free. At absolutely no cost, it will provide members with unlimited free access to their credit reports from both TransUnion and Equifax. Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Straight from Equifax and TransUnion, these fully-functional reports are updated every week. Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores (more on that in a minute), the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report. VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, you can see your VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track. Another cool feature is that you can actually compare your credit scores to others in your area, age group, and so forth.

Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify you by email of anything from a change in one of your credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth. Every time you log into your account, you can check for changes on your credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows you to access all information on your credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go. The app currently has an average rating of 4.5/5 stars in both the Apple and Android app stores.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where you can get advice on all aspects of your credit and scores.

Outstanding Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion. The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing credit report
  • No FICO scores
  • Privacy and security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling your credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit. There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been a significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and outstanding educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users. The company provides enough information to gauge where you're at and what direction you're going, giving full access to your credit reports at absolutely no cost.

For these reasons, we recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

December 5th, 2017 West Jordan, UT

It's a great tool to watch your credit score and get helpful tips for your credit. One thing that's not so great is that the score they give you can be up to 100 points off, which is a bit frustrating.

August 28th, 2017 Miami, FL

I applied to the credit card suggested by them, and I was approved. Great service

June 12th, 2017 Orem, UT

credit karma was spot on for my credit report, great phone app, they found things on my credit that shouldn't have been their that i was able to correct, i would recommend them for sure

June 6th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I mostly use the Credit Karma app, and it has been great. I went through a rough time a few years ago, and have been able to use tips from Credit Karma to improve my credit score. I love how easy it is to keep track of my score, and it was really easy to apply for a recommended credit card through their website. I would definitely recommend using them.

June 3rd, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Credit karma has been something our entire family uses. My daughter showed it to us and signed us up on it several years ago, and we have used it regularly since. The website had such great information, was very easy to navigate, and I learned things about my credit score I didn't know. I was also able to see things that needed to be fixed.

August 28th, 2015 Denver, CO

It was awesome, easy to set up an account and a lot of cool features

June 29th, 2014 Southampton, PA

Love this site used it to find my starting point and cleaned up my credit so I could buy my house.

June 25th, 2014 Riverside, CA

The credit karma is the next best tool I have for changing my credit future and I am glad that it is around and I will continue to share and speed the word.

June 22nd, 2014 Las Vegas, NV

Excellent credit tool !

June 21st, 2014 Memphis, TN

This site has helped me so much. I'm so glad I decided to try it. Maybe soon I'll be able to bring my score up thanks to you guys.

June 21st, 2014 Ripon, WI

I like being able to see my score with out having to pay .I just wonder what you can buy with on the higher side of good credit.

June 20th, 2014 De Soto, KS

Works great for me!

June 19th, 2014 Saint Charles, IL

Credit score averages a little lower than the big 3 (which motivates me to improve it)and I have used a few of their offers and the credit building recommendations.

June 17th, 2014 OK

Not accurate

June 15th, 2014 Fort Worth, TX

Its a good guideline for your credit.

June 10th, 2014 Detroit, MI

So far..pretty decent. Scores seem pretty close tp what I've obtained elsewhere.

June 8th, 2014 Ardsley, NY

I absolutely love it! Bottom line it's the best!

June 7th, 2014 Rancho Cordova, CA

FREE,,,,,what's not to like?

June 6th, 2014 Plymouth, MN

Amazing! It has truly helped me raise my score 100 points! Showing me my score, report, and best areas to work on for maximum improvement!

June 5th, 2014 Baton Rouge, LA

I love receiving alerts about new account activity.

June 5th, 2014 El Paso, TX

Awesome site I have already got two credit offers highly recommend

June 1st, 2014 Dolton, IL

I think its a good website thats free and beneficial

May 29th, 2014 Blue Ridge, GA

Every credit report company seems to think they know your e-mail address and passwords better then you, No matter what I use, they do not like them. So keep your reports, I don't really need the hassle in order to have a report.

August 22nd, 2013 VA