Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch. Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the heart of personal finance, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free monitoring, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

#1 Identity Guard chevron_right
3.2
#2 ScoreSense chevron_right
3.5
#3 Lex OnTrack chevron_right
4.9

The Good

• Price
  • Two Official Credit Reports
  • Credit Scores
  • Alerts
  • Sleek Mobile App
  • Excellent Credit Education
  • Helpful Tools

Price

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that it is free. With no payments required, it will provide members with unlimited free access to their credit reports from two of the major credit bureaus, TransUnion and Equifax. Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Those who have a Credit Karma account are able to receive updates for their TransUnion and Equifax credit reports every week. Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores, the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report. VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, you can see your VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give you an indication as to whether you're on the right track. Another cool feature is that you can actually compare your credit scores to others in your area, age group, and so forth.

Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify you by email of anything from a change in one of your credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth. Every time you log into your account, you can check for changes on your credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows you to access all information on your credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go. According to the Credit Karma website, "if you notice an error on your TransUnion report, you can submit a dispute without leaving Credit Karma."

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where you can get advice on all aspects of your credit and scores.

Helpful Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion. The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing Credit Report
  • No FICO Scores
  • Privacy and Security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling your credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit. There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and helpful educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users. The company provides enough information to gauge where you're at and what direction you're going, giving full access to your credit reports at absolutely no cost. For these reasons, we recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

View Best Credit Monitoring Companies

Catt Jones

April 30th, 2020 Stockbridge, GA

Help get my credit back in check. Paid off accounts that I never knew was on there but CreditKarma keep me updated.

Andrea Mora

April 29th, 2020 Simpsonville, SC

I get alert emails informing me of anything that affects my credit. When I want a quick look at my balances on my accounts, they're listed and I don't have to login to each account. They give a fairly reliable credit score. I wish they would go back to being able to refresh each account to get the balance as of that day.

Lawrence2009

April 28th, 2020 Winter Haven, FL

Credit Karma always accurate and tells me how to boosting my credit, alerts me when my credit score goes down

Autumn

April 27th, 2020 Carlinville, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Wonderful company to check your credit score and they also make it really easy to do your taxes.

Breyanna

April 24th, 2020 Odenton, MD

I enjoy using Credit Karma since I can monitor my credit for free. I love their notifications I receive for their app that notifies me immediately of changes to my credit score. Even though credit karma is free is offers great value to its customers.

Brandon

April 22nd, 2020 San Diego, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

An easy interface that accurately tells you what your credit score is. Using Credit Karma is so helpful to see where my credit is currently at and they provide methods for you to increase your score. There is no reason not to get it.

Michelle215

April 4th, 2020 ,

I love credit karma my score went from 450 to almost 700 in less than 6months i was thrilled!

Rocio Diaz

March 20th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma helped me find my FICO score for free in a quick amount of time and gave me peace of mind. This is a great service to check your FICO score and look for any mistakes.

Karen Torino

March 11th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I started using Credit Karma because I opened up my first credit card and within the first statement, they had updated me on my credit score. I also opened up an account with credit karma before my credit card and they even notified me that a new card showed up under my name. Everything has been great so far!

Ashphile Baptiste

March 10th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

Credit Karma is the safest way to check my credit. They do not ask for too much information and it is free. I love credit karma.

Jeremy Webb

March 9th, 2020 Dallas, TX

Credit Karma is a great way to find out your credit score without pulling your credit that could possibly hurt your score. Weekly updates of your credit score makes it easy to keep an eye on your credit and the user friendly websites make finding it a overall great experience.

Anita pea

March 8th, 2020 Dallas, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma is the best credit monitoring system out there. With them I was able to relieve my credit score by tons and the on call service was amazing.

Toni Hasson

March 7th, 2020 Salem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit karma helped me get my score higher when purchasing my new home- they continue to monitor my score and updates me on a regular basis

Erin Glendening

March 7th, 2020 Livingston, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like credit karma because it’s super easy to see if you have the credit to afford a apartment or to get a car.

myles Ragas

March 7th, 2020 Houston, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit carma helped me determine my credit score quickly and easily. There website makes it super easy to find what your looking for.

xsashalove

March 7th, 2020 Lakeland, FL

I love credit karma! Very trustworthy, fast, and credible. Highly recommended to everyone.

Taylor Posey

March 7th, 2020 Philadelphia, PA

Credit karma is the best for seeing your credit score quickly. They also provide info about your credit profile and how to improve it, which is very helpful!

Alexa Pitre

March 7th, 2020 Baton Rouge, LA

Credit Karma is super easy to use and very user friendly

Msindoni

March 6th, 2020 Pembroke Pines, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I recently started using Credit Karma to keep track of my credit score. I like how they send me credit score updates explaining what caused it to change and how I can improve it.

cb

March 6th, 2020 Thibodaux, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I never use another credit monitoring site besides Credit Karma. Very easy to use and accurate credit scores!

Daisy Ramos

March 5th, 2020 , FL

I am definitely a credit monitor. Credit Karma allows me to check my credit often, and it doesn’t hurt my score. It is most definitely helpful, and makes me more conscious of my spending.

Cole Warnick

March 5th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I check my credit several times a month. The app is so easy to use and I can keep a close eye on my credit at my fingertips.

Janie Dennis

March 4th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma isn't 100% accurate! I know because I have a credit consultant that keeps track but if you can't afford that extra help then credit karma is wonderful!

Bianca Jyotishi

March 4th, 2020 DeLand, FL

I've never been so excited about checking my credit score. It's very user friendly and I look forward every week to see my updated score. I can see all of my accounts in one place and I appreciate the tips on how to increase my score.

russbayles

March 3rd, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Not really sure credit karma keeps your credit score without using points against you but I love what they do. Been using them for years and have seen my score go up and up.

Karina Aguilar

March 2nd, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

credit karma is great for people who want to view their credit score without receiving any hits but they do report later than all the other credit companies

Nicole Jones

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have been using Credit Karma for many years to monitor my credit score. I love that Credit Karma notifies me immediately of any change to my credit report. I also love that it's free and simple to use. It just works! I highly recommend Credit Karma.

JDWain

February 26th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I use Credit Karma to keep an eye on my credit score and it works great, I have been able to raise my credit score 100 points by just doing some easy things that I wouldn't have realized I needed to do without credit karma!

Mary Haring

February 26th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great way to keep an eye on your credit score and good advice on how to make it better.

Dwhoush

February 23rd, 2020 Slidell, LA

I’m not sure about the 100% accuracy of Credit Karma, but it’s a very quick and easy way to look up your credit score. I like also the suggestions it gives me on different credit cards and loans if I ever needed one.

Ben Pipes

February 22nd, 2020 ,

I use Credit Karma all the time and find it is helpful when I want to know what my score is but also to get alerts when there has been a change. This helps give me peace of mind to know I can track changes in my credit more readily.

Jessica

February 21st, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love the updates I get from credit karma so I can keep updated on my score and always know what is going on.

Customer

February 21st, 2020 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love that they send me alerts. They keep me up to date on the status of my credit and share great advice on how to build good credit. Easy to use.

Kaitlyn Rios

February 20th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma is the best credit monitoring site out there. It is industry leading helping me keep good tabs on changes to my score and alerting me of issues as they happen. They also provide a ton of good tools to address common issues with my credit.

Nichole Hiatt

February 20th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

CreditKarma has been a great credit tracker for me. I like that the service is free, and it has been so helpful when shopping for loans to know what my score is without having to do a hard check on it.

Mark falkner

February 19th, 2020 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great for credit monitoring and it’s free. Can’t really beat that. Been good to me.

lani tuihalamaka

February 18th, 2020 Cheyenne, WY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Very easy to use and seems to be updated when scheduled to. Very helpful recommendations when trying to better your credit.

Hallieford

February 18th, 2020 Arlington, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love credit Karma. It’s so nice to log in and get a good view of my credit score.

Lknls

February 16th, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT

Easy to use and it’s free so I can’t complain. They keep me up to date with changes through email.

Chantell Filiaga

February 16th, 2020 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Love Credit Karma. Shows me exactly what I need to Improve has all my accounts and gives me an update every month. I have gotten alerts when my payment was late and it helped me keep on track and pay it so my score wouldn’t be effected.

Rommie Bishop III

February 16th, 2020 Rexburg, ID

Credit Karma is the only credit monitoring service I've used, and I haven't needed any other because their free report was enough for me. I'm pleased with the accuracy.

Amy Christian

February 14th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am on credit karma everyday and love how complete and accurate it is. Keeps me engaged in my credit and my finances with ease

Nicholas Genes

February 13th, 2020 Los Angeles, CA

This site is great if you are wanting to get a quick reference to what your credit looks like without paying money.

Claribel Galeano

February 12th, 2020 Upper Marlboro, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I love this application and service that they offer it is very convenient and easy to use

RodrigoRamirez

February 11th, 2020 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The absolute best at what they do. They have created a service that shows all of my accounts currently open, ways I can save and it's all provided free of charge. This service has helped me raise my credit score and I can't thank them enough.

Alan Olmedo

February 9th, 2020 Lubbock, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Credit Karma has helped me raise my credit score and shows me a lot of helpful information that can be used to raise it even higher.

AGenes

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT

Awesome credit site! Sign up is free and always get alerts whenever something changes on my report.

Michelle Rios

February 9th, 2020 Ogden, UT

Credit Karma has been very helpful to me by teaching me how important a credit rating is and providing me with a way to keep track of my credit score. Their website/app is easy to use and to see what is happening with my credit rating. Thank you for helping me to be proactive in protecting my credit.

Jami Lucas

February 9th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I get update emails about my credit score every time that it changes. I feel at peace.

Lyssa

February 8th, 2020 Eagle Mountain, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like the easy of tracking my credit through credit karma and getting notifications about the changes.