Best Company Guarantee Credit Karma Logo

Credit Karma

9.8

LAST UPDATED: April 3rd, 2022

Based out of California, Credit Karma has been featured in multiple news articles including MSNBC, SmartMoney, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, and TechCrunch.

Beginning with two credit reports and scores, the company brings more transparency and certainty to credit and finance with free credit monitoring services, data-driven resources, and personalized recommendations.

The Good

• Free Services
  • Two Official Credit Reports
  • VantageScore Credit Scores
  • Helpful Alerts
  • Sleek Mobile App
  • Excellent Credit Education
  • Useful Tools

Free Services

Credit Karma's biggest selling point is that its services are free. With no payments required, the company will provide members with access to their credit reports and scores from two of the major credit bureaus, TransUnion and Equifax.

Even more impressive, the company refreshes these reports on a weekly basis.

Two Official Credit Reports

Those who have a Credit Karma account are able to receive updates for their TransUnion and Equifax credit reports every week.

Credit Karma provides users with an easy-to-use interface for navigating and understanding their credit report, including suggestions for improving their credit.

VantageScore Credit Scores

Although CreditKarma, unfortunately, does not provide official FICO scores, the company does provide a VantageScore 3.0 for each credit report.

VantageScore is a newer scoring model that has gained traction but is still not necessarily the most popular or accurate measure of one's creditworthiness. Either way, users can see their VantageScore go up and down over time on well-presented graphs and reports, which can give them an indication as to whether they are on the right track.

Another feature is that users can compare their credit scores to others in their area, age group, and so forth.

Helpful Alerts

Credit Karma provides a fully-configurable alerts panel to notify consumers by email of anything from a change in one of their credit reports to large purchases, withdrawals, interest rate changes, and so forth.

Each time someone logs into their Credit Karma account, they can check for changes on their credit report since the last refresh.

Sleek Mobile App

Credit Karma has a well-designed mobile app for both Android and Apple devices which allows users to access all information on their credit reports, scores, and alerts while on the go.

Excellent Credit Education

Credit Karma maintains an up-to-date, online library of credit-specific educational resources that are well-written, informative, and accurate. Additionally, the company has an active community where users can get advice on all aspects of their credit and scores.

Useful Tools

Credit Karma provides everything from debt repayment and loan calculators to fully-featured credit score simulators powered by TransUnion.

The Credit Score Simulator allows you to see how different decisions, like paying off part of your credit card debt or getting a home loan, might affect your credit score in the future.

The Bad

• Missing Credit Report
  • No FICO Scores
  • Privacy and Security

Missing Credit Report

The service has absolutely no way of pulling a user's credit report from Experian, which is a significant blind spot in any comprehensive credit monitoring strategy.

No FICO Scores

The credit scores provided by Credit Karma aren't true FICO scores, so they aren't the same credit scores most lenders will see when they pull your credit.

There have been reports of Credit Karma's VantageScore being off by as much as 100 points from what a lender saw when they pulled that customer's FICO score from the same bureau.

Privacy and Security

There have been significant privacy questions raised by the FTC in regards to Credit Karma's mobile app not being as secure as the company claimed, resulting in a settlement in 2014, wherein the company agreed to submit to annual independent tests to verify that its apps are secure for the next 20 years.

The Bottom Line

Between the frequent refreshes, lack of membership fees, and helpful educational resources, Credit Karma's approach is unique in the industry and popular amongst its users.

Although Credit Karma does not provide FICO scores and does not give users access to their Experian credit reports, the company does seem to provide enough basic information for users to gauge where they are at and what direction they are going when it comes to credit.

We recommend Credit Karma for those who are tight on cash or are just getting started in learning about credit, as one can save hundreds of dollars on credit monitoring services and learn a substantial amount by using their platform.

bestcompany guarantee

Best Company guarantees your satisfaction if you choose a company that has earned this distinction. If you're not satisfied after 30 days, simply let us know and we'll give you $100. Yes, it's really that simple.

Learn More

scotty Saint Paul, MN

Credit karma is awesome they're on the ball they're accurate they give you a ton of features you normally wouldn't have at your fingertips cuz you can download the app on your cell phone and be on top of everything

Phalda Morris Jacksonville, FL

Credit karma is a great app to monitor your credit with. They show you how credit checks affect your score and how to improve your credit score. They recommend credit cards you are likely to get approved for and they give you multiple options.

Jaelyn Morris Tallahassee, FL

Credit Karma helped me to monitor my credit and see what I need to do to raise my credit score. They also offer credit card recommendations that you are likely to get approved for. They notified me of credit checks done on me and any changes to my credit score.

Erica Reynolds

Credit Karma allows me to keep track of and monitor my credit score in an easy to operate app. I use Credit Karma to gauge whether or not I will be approved for a new line of credit. The thing I like most about Credit Karma is that they present you with offers on loans, insurance, and Credit cards that you are most likely to be approved for. I utilized Credit Karma's credit calculator to help me decide which debt to pay off first to get out of debt for good!

Charlotte P Herriman, UT

I needed to get my credit under control and I used Credit Karma to do it. Credit was always out of sight out of mind for me. I rarely ever looked at my overall debt or score. But knew that it wasn't great, so I downloaded the Credit Karma app and once everything was there on the screen, I realized I needed to work on it. I love that the app gives you feedback on how to get your score up. It has amazing tools to help you work on lowering your debt. It also alerts you when you have had an inquiry on your credit, when your score goes up or down or when you have accomplished paying off a debt. There are so many helpful tools on the app that I can't list them all here.

Connor Smith Palm City, FL

Credit Karma is a great credit report, I like how they keep you up to date with your credit report. It has all information about items you purchase and when you pay bills off. I like how fast you can get onto Credit Karma a see your score.

Lydia Hackler Bryant, AR

I check my credit score all the time. I’m disappointed that when you apply for something they don’t really use credit karma. Credit karma always seems to be higher than other credit places but it makes me feel good to see a good score!!

Dale Berridge Henderson, NV

I am a very happy Credit Karma customer! My credit was mediocre at best (620) a couple of years ago. By using a few of CK's Credit tips and card recommendations my credit score improved dramatically to the level of purchasing a new home and auto at amazing interest rates just a few months ago! Simple to understand and use and well worth the effort!

Cam Hall Palmyra, VA

I started using Credit Karma because of their daily/frequent credit checks, but have since been scaling back my notifications and interactions. They are CONSTANTLY emailing you refi offers even when the % difference is so slight and the cost to close is substantial enough that you would save a tiny, tiny amount of money (and not enough to offset your time spent on the refi back and forth). Aside from refi, I use Credit Karma for credit monitoring and seeing options for other credit cards. They also really push personal loans constantly. But since its a free product I can't be but so frustrated with a bit of advertising.

KG Lebanon, NJ

I love using credit karma because it gives me an overall picture of my credit health and lets me understand what affects my credit and what doesn’t. It also shows me if a new account has been opened and if I agree or disagree with it credit karma will review it and if it is not legit they will help me dispute the account. Credit karma has been so helpful with getting lower interest rates refinancing my home and helping me apply for loans.

MM Largo, FL

I have the credit karma app on my phone and check my updated credit score almost daily. It shows how my credit score fluctuates from day to day and had helped my understand what affects my score. It also notifies me of any updates and also if there are any new credit cards that I have good approval odds to apply for.

Erinmarie Xian Seffner, FL

I love the fact that that I can monitor my credit score every single day. Thats brilliant. Before CK it was a shot in the dark to guess what your score was. I also recently opened a checking and savings acct with them - it is super convenient and easy to transfer funds. Well done!

Gavin Jones Columbus, OH

I find this company and their service invaluable. Perfect for monitoring any and all of my accounts and gives me simple direction to improve my credit, not much else I could ask for. (Plus has given me great odds and applications which have helped me, so definitely advise)

Shauna Lyons Omaha, NE

This was the application I used to fix and/or improve my credit. Was all free! Was able to dispute bogus charges and apply for credit with confidences in addition to getting my 1st real CC. I was able to determine when to buy a house also!

Sarah Biondo Gilbert, AZ

My husband looks at credit karma often, so I signed up to get the free data on our credit and to see suggestions. It has been helpful anytime we had debt to pay off or needed to assess our overall credit. It's nice to get the talkies of our credit limit and our updated scores when something is paid off.

Mandy Pesce

Credit Karma is always very easy to log into and review and manage my credit in all areas to keep on top of things. They make recommendations for everything from personal and auto loans to credit cards to help me build my credit.

Mandi Colorado Springs, CO

I use Credit Karma to keep an unofficial eye on my credit score. Having this service available has allowed me to better manage and improve my credit score on my own. I have also applied for two credit cards through CK and it is very accurate on your approval odds for the cards it recommends. I love how it helps you to compare different cards and how they might best benefit or hurt you in one place. You can also use CK to contest things on your credit records and they keep you updated throughout the whole process if you dispute through them.

Sirdriz77 Fairfield, CT

I love credit Karma and have been using them for years to monitor my credit. It's easy to navigate and keep an eye on my credit score. I check it regularly to look for fraud. It's also a good place to look for credit offers if you need them .

Corryn Moore Richmond, VA

Credit Karma has been wonderful with keeping my credit score up to date. It really breaks it all down for me to understand and helps find me ways to improve my scores. I get updates almost daily, which is super helpful and even get offers right through the app. Easy to use!

Darrin Pelham Rincon, GA

I really like Credit Karma and all the of the cool features that are free to you. I have used the update feature to see the improvement of my score so that I could take advantage of offers to improve my financial situation. I have looked into some of the offers that have popped up on their page to help me and even though I haven't used all of them I have taken advantage if the information that was provided to me. The process is so easy and takes just minutes and all for free.

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

When it comes to looking at your credit, lots of companies give you different scores. For the most accurate score, I go to Credit Karma. Additionally, I never get a score drop for simply viewing my score, which is something I highly appreciate from Credit Karma. I will continue to use Credit Karma for how well their platform is and their customer service.

Jim Bullhead City, AZ

They are a honest company at credit moderating but a little slow on letting you know when something changes. Pretty good company

Jenni Zollinger Aiken, SC

Credit Karma is fantastic! It lets me know if there is any activity on my credit. I love being able to check in at will and see my score. Also helpful hints to increase my score.

Daniel Cebrero Henderson, NV

It’s a good starting point to know your basic credit score. It can be off by a few but at least you can see in depth anything that might be on your credit score. I like how it keeps track of your spending and suggest ways to improve your credit score

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

I like Credit Karma because it will tell me when there has been suspicious activity on my account. For example, it notified me when I opened a new credit card to confirm that it was me. It is also really see to see your credit score and they give you tips.

Robert Washington, MI

They have been great with us for the last 10 years, they locked us out of our account after someone tried to hack there way in. So neither of us could get in but after sending in copies of water bills, etc. we just changed passwords. Due to the Equifax data breach we have watches on savings, checking, etc. You set the limit and they inform you of activity. I find this company fantastic and highly recommend it. It also shows all the factors that influence your credit worthiness.

Susan Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

I mostly use the Credit Karma app, and it has been great. I went through a rough time a few years ago, and have been able to use tips from Credit Karma to improve my credit score. I love how easy it is to keep track of my score, and it was really easy to apply for a recommended credit card through their website. I would definitely recommend using them.

Brandie Whitlock Sturgis, KY

Love the app and the power to view my credit score safely from my phone. I love seeing my score go up.

Mark Troxel Provo, UT

Credit Karma is a free credit checking service. They combine reporting for Transunion and Equifax into one location. You will find a true and more accurate credit score from Credit Karma than from Experian. Experian inflates your credit score and you will be disappointed if you quote that score to a lender. They just laugh at you. If you want to know your real score use Credit Karma. Like most credit source companies they make money by directing you to additional credit offers like cards, car loans, mortgages and insurance companies. Ignore the offers and take control of your real credit score. I have been a Credit Karma user for more than 3 years. The app on iPhone is easy to use, and I use it much more than the website, but both are available. You receive notices to check your score especially if there are changes. Credit Karma is free.

wyattpaige Tallahassee, FL

gives the best breakdown of your scores and what caused them, even gives helpful tips and opportunities

Noureddine Lalami Brentwood, CA

Pros: You get free credit scores from both Equifax and Transunion. Cons: Too many ads and offers trying to get you to sign up for or apply for credit.

Leslie Penfield Alexander, AR

Credit Karma has helped me get on track with my finances. I love the app!!! It helps me keep up with spending and credit.

Lauryn Parent Salt Lake City, UT

Great at giving accurate credit scores, and it is so nice to have financial advice and credit card options available right in the app.

LeAnn Baytown, TX

I have been using Credit Karma for years. It allows me to really keep a close eye at my credit score. I like that it sends me notifications when my credit rating changes.

Jesse Hennigan Baytown, TX

Credit Karma is a very convenient way to keep track of my credit score and to monitor my credit for fraud. The best part is it doesn't cost me any money to do so.

Cassie Banuelos St. Petersburg, FL

I love this free site to monitor my information. It is very correct with the information that I have as far as what’s on my credit. The only thing is I’ve heard the actual score is off by 30 points.

Paula Pili Provo, UT

For free it’s ok You can make disputes You can get a snapshot of your credit You can’t see notes It constantly offers Loans and credit cards etc Not a super best It’s a “it’ll do”

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

I have been using CreditKarma.com for over 2 years. This site is a great resource to learn how to improve your credit score. The site is free to use and is super easy as well!

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

Credit Karma has been very helpful to me by teaching me how important a credit rating is and providing me with a way to keep track of my credit score. Their website/app is easy to use and to see what is happening with my credit rating. Thank you for helping me to be proactive in protecting my credit.

James Conder Eagle Mountain, UT

I created a Credit Karma account years ago when they 1st came out. They have been amazing at keeping track of my loans and credit score as well as inform me of any increase or decrease in credit score. I think this year we are going to try the new Tax Refund they offer

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Simply one of the best online credit monitoring services out there: Credit Karma. So helpful in improving credit, identifying issues, valuable risk alerts-Credit Karma has simply become invaluable and necessary. If you value smart...then Credit Karma is a must.

Adam W

I have Credi Karma and since using it have increased my score over 100+ points. I've been seriously using it just over a year. I have used it to challenge things on my credit and keep track of everything in one place. A+ in my book and I've never paid them a cent!

Jeremy Balls Kaysville, UT

Credit Karma gives me credit monitoring for free. I have received free credit monitoring from a few other companies but paid by companies who have had data breaches. Those services do not provide anything better than what Credit Karma provides for free.

Doyal Stewart Salt Lake City, UT

Credit karma has been something our entire family uses. My daughter showed it to us and signed us up on it several years ago, and we have used it regularly since. The website had such great information, was very easy to navigate, and I learned things about my credit score I didn't know. I was also able to see things that needed to be fixed.

Jade Knowles Tallahassee, FL

I love credit karma! I’m trying to raise my credit score as much as possible before I’m on my own and credit karma let’s me keep track of my spending and even my credit scores lowers or rises. I have the app on my phone, so it’s way easier.

Lawrence Lee Provo, UT

I used to work at a bank and Credit Karma by far was the most reliable source to help customers learn about credit, track their credit, and get great deals on rewards credit cards. I like Credit Karma for its ease and simplicity. They do the job of helping people figure out what they need to do and to spot irregularities in their credit history to dispute. I'm not sure how this will change with the new updates happening to FICO scores though! What's more is that the service is free!

Derrian Tallahassee, FL

This app has saved my life! I am young and I never knew how important my credit score is and what it means in life. Having this app on my phone has allowed me to stay alert for criminals, who often steal other people's identity. It also lets me know what exactly is on my credit report so I can know what I owe or if something is incorrect. Credit Karma is the most accurate credit score app that I have, and they always notify me when something new has popped up on her report.

Noa Ranoa Vista, CA

Free. I use daily. I set alerts for everything. Nothing gets buy. CK is unbelievable and still FREE.

James Hare Drexel Hill, PA

Their free service monitors everything and gives great advice on how to monitor and improve credit, and it really works!

RCSmith Frankfort, KY

I just signed up for Credit Karma a few months ago. I wished that I had signed up sooner. The suggestions from Credit Karma have been invaluable.