Discover Financial began offering the Discover Card in 1985 and introduced its cash rewards credit card in 1986. Today, Discover is the third-largest credit card brand in the United States and has over 61 million cardholders.

#1 Capital One chevron_right
#2 American Express (Amex) chevron_right

The Good

• Rewards
  • No Annual Fees
  • No Foreign Transaction Fee
  • Free Credit Score
  • Fraud Safeguards
  • Introductory APR

Rewards

Discover offers a number of rewards options, including the Discover it Chrome Student Card, the Discover it Cash Credit Card, and the Discover it Miles Credit Card. With the Chrome Student Card, students can get cash back each school year that their GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to the next five years. At the end of the first year, Discover adds up all the cash back earned on the student card and matches it. The Cash Credit Card gives a percentage of cash back in the selected quarterly category. The Miles Credit Card offers an automatic match of all the miles earned at the end of your first year with no blackout dates. Miles can be redeemed for travel credits or cash.

No Annual Fees

There are no annual fees associated with any of Discover's credit cards, which can save cardholders hundreds of dollars each year.

No Foreign Transaction Fee

Discover does not charge a foreign transaction fee, which is a nice benefit for frequent travelers.

Free Credit Score

Discover provides its cardholders with the ability to view and monitor their FICO score for free.

Fraud Safeguards

Discover offers several fraud safeguards, including purchase monitoring and the ability for customers to freeze and unfreeze their card in the event that it is lost or stolen.

Introductory APR

Most of Discover's credit cards offer an introductory APR of 0 percent for the first fourteen months.

The Bad

Late Payment Penalties

For the first late payment, Discover does not charge a late payment fee. However, cardholders can expect to be charged a fee for every late payment after the first.

The Bottom Line

Discover Financial offers several attractive features, including no annual fees, no foreign transaction fees, competitive APRs, and a number of rewards programs. However, the company does have a late payment fee in place.

Victoria S

August 14th, 2017 Wichita, KS

Customer support is amazing! 24/7, fast, no waiting, issue fixed instantly

Michelle Vickery

August 14th, 2017 Toccoa, GA

The cash back is tied to my Amazon account for one. The cash back bonus specials are great. I can use the card just about anywhere.

Eileen Nagle

August 14th, 2017 South Jordan, UT

Discover and American Express begin sending bills later and later leaving me with late fees each time

DOUG DREVO

August 14th, 2017 Liberty, MO

easy to read statementsand us based customer service

Ronald Brown

August 14th, 2017

Discover is a very good credit card company. Their customer service is phenomenal, with alerts and notifications every person should have.

Fred Golding

August 8th, 2017 Mentor, OH

I haven't had any problems with them and I recevie Cedit points.

Vicki Burton

August 7th, 2017

I have been with Discover for many years. They have always taken care of me.

Johnitha Pugh

August 7th, 2017 Lake Mary, FL

I think their customer service is amazing and quick.

Jill Roth

August 7th, 2017 Lansing, MI

Their customer service is good, their web page is easy to follow and understand, they have good promotional offers

jack vierling

August 7th, 2017

Reasonable to work with, professional, courteous, understand client's problems and works to resolve same.

Arty chaddock

August 7th, 2017 Buffalo, NY

great to do business with. fast response times all questions answered

Diane Lawson

July 27th, 2017 Far Rockaway, NY

They worked with me all the time to keep my bill paid on time they have low interest rates and they gave me credit when no other company would give me a chance when I called I got a representative very easy and quick

July 26th, 2017

They have been very helpful with my credit

Mark

June 13th, 2017

We have used the Discover Card for nearly 30 years. Customer service is great at any time of the day for answering questions or replacing cards, and they are right on for discovering fraudulent use on our account, which has happened a handful of times. They'll continue to keep my business for years to come.

Daniel Poaletti

June 6th, 2017

Wonderful card! No foreign transaction fees and no annual fees. I love this card and use it for everything. You can get a lot of cash back for different things.

Breanna Jones

June 6th, 2017 Herriman, UT

I like the cash back bonus I get from using this credit card. I have had to call customer service and you are talking to a human within seconds. It doesn't take forever with some automated answering machine. Very easy card and company to work with.