Sprint is a major provider of wireless phone and Internet products and services for individuals and businesses throughout the world and offers the latest smartphone and tablet device technology with 4G LTE data coverage in over 500 cities nationwide.

Founded in 1899 and headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas, Sprint now owns Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and the Assurance brands of non-contract providers.

#1 Verizon chevron_right
#2 T-Mobile chevron_right
3.7
#3 AT&T chevron_right
3.7

The Good

• Metro Area Network Coverage
  • Multi-Line Service Prices
  • Additional Perks
  • Device Options

Metro Area Network Coverage

Though Sprint's coverage depth and breadth are not as robust as that of the top companies, its coverage is improving in certain areas. Sprint now offers especially fast 4G LTE network coverage improvements in four major U.S. metro areas in preparation for 5G speeds:

• Atlanta, GA (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Denver, CO (over 50 percent faster than previous download speeds)
  • Las Vegas, NV (nearly twice as fast as previous download speeds)
  • Salt Lake City, UT (twice as fast as previous download speeds)

Multi-Line Service Prices

Sprint focuses heavily on serving families or groups of friends that want to go in on a phone account together. The group pricing provides an incentive to add more lines because of the discounts available.

For example, the Unlimited Basic service plan gets you your third, fourth, and fifth lines free, totaling $20/month per line, a price that is very difficult (if not impossible) to find elsewhere for what you get. The carrier claims using its Unlimited Basic multi-line plan actually gives customers a $1000 savings over their first year over certain competitors.

Additional Perks

Sprint's three "Unlimited" plans, Unlimited Basic, Unlimited Plus, and Unlimited Premium, all include these benefits:

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Hulu account
  • Mobile hotspot (500 MB LTE, 50GB LTE, or 100GB LTE)
  • Video streaming (480p, 1080p, or full HD)
  • Canada and Mexico roaming and unlimited talk, text, and data (5GB, 10GB, or unlimited 4G LTE data)
  • Text and data in 200+ worldwide locations

Unlimited Plus includes a Tidal account as well, and Unlimited Premium comes with Tidal, Lookout, and Amazon Prime.

Customers age 55+ or customers who are active military or veterans qualify for specialized Unlimited plans. Data plans for tablets, mobile hotspots, and smartwatches can be purchased, too.

Device Options

New and popular Apple and Android phones and tablet options are available through Sprint. Financing rates are based on credit qualifications, but generally, you can utilize the Spring Flex 18-month lease on a new phone. Pre-owned phones are also available. If your current phone is compatible with the Sprint Network and it is unlocked, you can activate it with a new Sprint account. You do need a SIM card to activate your device.

Sprint also sells other tech product accessories:

• Smartwatches
  • Tablets
  • Hotspots
  • Sprint Drive (enables vehicle diagnostics, driving behavior analytics, location tracking, roadside assistance, and media connectivity)
  • Ear pods and other wireless headphones
  • Chargers

The Bad

• Coverage Gaps
  • Early Termination Fees
  • Expensive Hotspots

Coverage Gaps

Depending on where in the U.S. you live, Sprint's network coverage can be outstanding or poor, so potential customers should closely study Sprint's coverage map prior to signing up to avoid slower download speeds and dropped calls.

Early Termination Fees

The early termination fee (the cost a consumer pays when they cancel their contract early) is something you should be aware of before signing up with Sprint. If you sign up for a 1 or 2-year contract and then decide to change carriers, you must pay a fee for each line of service you signed up with. The fee is prorated based on the length of your remaining term commitment, but depending on how many months you have remaining on your contract, you might end up paying a steep price.

Expensive Hotspots

Standalone hotspots and Wi-fi card plans are expensive with Sprint. The cheapest plan the carrier currently provides is $30/month for 10GB of data. There are also additional fees that can apply with the limited GB data.

The Bottom Line

Sprint has plenty to offer prospective customers, with the most attractive perk being the affordable multi-line smartphone plan pricing. Paying $20/month for smartphone services is almost unheard of.

Is Sprint good? Customer reviews are mixed, reflecting both positive and negative experiences with Sprint's customer service team, terms and conditions, and network coverage. Read the reviews below to decide for yourself.

View Best Cell Phone Providers

2.7

Gary Mayer

November 5th, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have had Sprint for many years and am very happy. Best customer to client service I have experienced with a phone carrier. Always very helpful.

Connie Mayer

November 2nd, 2017 South Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I really would have anything but Sprint. It works all over the world. We have had excellent service, and I never have to worry about my phone calls dropping. We love Sprint and will stick with them.

Alex Murphy

November 2nd, 2017 Reno, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have never had a good experience with Sprint. I don't know if it was the Galaxy that I had or the Sprint network but I had hundreds of issues with my phone. Sprint guys at multiple locations were jerks. I had their phone insurance and they were unwilling to help me fix my phone even when I had screen shots of the issues. Needless to say, I left them for Verizon for their crappy network and service.

Steve

October 30th, 2017 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We wanted to keep Sprint but they didn't care about keeping us as a customer and would match any deal with like Verizon.

David

October 30th, 2017 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

there are spoty service areas. I know it's common with everyone, but Sprint is really the worst one I've been on.

Blake Wilcox

June 13th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

After trying out a few different cell phone providers I'm glad that I got Sprint. Their coverage is wonderful and their prices are affordable. My coverage was even working out of the country.

Aubrey Rentschler

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Sprint is reasonable when it comes to their pricing. However, it's annoying when you keep experiencing dropped calls and sketchy service in areas where you are supposed to have service.

Aubrey Rentschler

June 12th, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

Sprint is reasonable when it comes to their pricing. However, it's annoying when you keep experience dropped calls and sketchy service in areas where you are supposed to have service.

Kory Staheli

June 10th, 2017

We have been very pleased with Sprint as our cell phone provider. We switched from our previous provider a couple of years ago because of Sprint's friends and family plan and have had no regrets. It is much more affordable than our previous provider and the coverage has been equally as good.

Michael Lyman

June 1st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Sprint for the last 4-5 years, and when I initially moved over I was excited to get away from my previous cell phone provider, but the honeymoon shortly wore off. Last year I had to replace my phone because it was damaged beyond use, and at the time I had to buy out my previous phone and buy a new one. Also I am currently in the same predicament, where my phone is damaged and they want me to send it in to them for an insurance claim for $200. I don't think so. I believe my time is finished with Sprint. The customer service is really bad and their guarantees of great service is a joke.

Chelsea Stewart

May 31st, 2017 Salt Lake City, UT

I've used Sprint as my service provider for 3 years now, and they are a pretty average Cell phone service provider. I have had random times where my service was poor and unusable, but nothing too terrible. I am on a framily plan which makes my plan affordable, but going over charges are outrageous, and they don't give you any warning that you are over, or any ability to limit to stop yourself from going over unless you vigilantly check daily. Overall I'm satisfied with my plan through them.

Naevi Staheli

May 29th, 2017

My family plan is great for a big family. The prices are pretty good except for buying the phones.

Kari Staheli

May 26th, 2017

I switched to Sprint summer of 2014 because of their Framily plan. When you are paying for 5 cell phones you go to where you can afford it. I have liked sprint because it is affordable and I am not locked into a plan. The customer service is pretty good however the wait time at a store is very long. Plan on having a couple of hours to get any issues resolved if you have techinical issues or need to buy a phone. The cell coverage isn't as good from sprint as I have had from other companies but it is good enough, and I have traveled through Europe and the US. I stay at sprint because they are affordable for my family and give me the service I need.

Sav Flo

May 26th, 2017

The first time I walked in to a Sprint store contemplating on what phone service to get I encountered friendly employees who where willing to answer my questions. The second time when I made up my mind that Sprint would be my service provider I was overwhelmed as the employee was sharing different plans and going super fast. I felt as though he was pressuring me and asked for a different person to help me. I have since had no problems with there employees and the company its self.

Jonathan Lewis

May 25th, 2017 Bronx, NY

Sprint sun is big time and something wrong with my bill. It's suppose to be $190 with the iPad I have for my daughter and out of no where it's about $230. I'm about to switch my carrier as well

Tracy Simmons

May 24th, 2017 Shelbyville, TN

My loyalty to #Sprint was based on the customer service I received when their call centers were primarily in the Southeastern US (NC). I've been with them 13 years now - which is a lifetime in cell provider years. They've made their website too complex and splashy to find any information or I would DIY. They have restricted their chat representatives to a point of ineptitude. Every time I have to call I cringe - because it is always someone in a busy call center in India. Enough. I work in the customer service industry also - I have high standards. I don't mind if someone is new - but I DO mind if I can't perform a simple task like cancelling a line or changing my service plan. I have maintained my plan with them out of loyalty - even though Verizon provides better service in the rural area I live in. I'm done with Sprint. Done. Done. Done. Ugh.

Monroe Hart

May 23rd, 2017 Portage, MI

I have been waiting 5 days for sprint to fix my Netgear wifi. In spite of them promising a 24 to 48 hr turn around time for fixing my problem, to date sprint hhas not lived up to their promise, but they are charging me for no service.

Chris Michaels

May 10th, 2017 Charlotte, NC

So today I find out that Sprint wants to go ahead and move forward with a "self service" way of doing things. Which means they DO NOT wanna talk to their customers. I was calling to switch the day to an earlier day my bill could be paid. The automated system gave me no option to go talk to a customer service rep. Now call me old school but I like to talk to an actual person! Rather then a dumb automated system. So I got hung up on twice by the automated system because I kept pressing 0 for customer service. So FINALLY I did a bunch of options and it lead me to the customer service. I told the girl my experience with the automated system and she apologized for the hard time. But her voice said it all that she DID NOT care about the way I felt. Then I told her the reason why I was calling. She wanted money upfront! Now keep in mind I do not get paid till this Friday which is a few days. So basically she says to me that I don't need to pay if I go through the automated system and that she couldn't help me unless I pay! WHAT??? Does this make sense to anyone!!!! You don't have to pay going through the automated system but have to pay if you go through a rep! Is this not the stupidest bunch of crap! I told her how stupid that sounded and she said "noted" Now I've been with this company for at least 10 YEARS! And within the past year this company has gone down the tubes! Something needs to be done about sprint. If I was in charge I would make a one touch to option to talk to a rep. Then I would do the same stradegy for both talking to someone and an automated system. Why do two different sets of plans and the way to go about business?? Needless to say I am NOT happy with sprint and would love to do nothing more then switch my carrier! Don't go to sprint! I'd rather have T mobile!! Chris R

Brian Hanshaw

March 26th, 2017

I have been with Sprint for approximately 12 years. They used to be really good but that has definitely changed. One month my bill would be $180.00 then the next month it might be $220.00. They have so many different hidden fees and charges it's unreal. I leased a Galaxy S5 two years ago. They charged me an extra $20.00 per month for the lease. My lease just ended and they wanted me to pay an additional $200.00 to purchase the phone outright or turn it back in. What a ripoff. Walmart had a brand new Galaxy S5 for $199.00 for the Straight Talk service. That was definitely a no brainer. Straight Talk is better in every aspect. Coverage, price and customer service. I have one phone still under a contract with Sprint. When the contract ends in August I'll finally be done with Sprint for good. They charge you $350.00 early termination fee. That's the only reason I haven't switched my daughters phone already. Sprints customer service is a joke.

David Picard

October 26th, 2016 Fairfax, VA

I have service on the Sprint network through Credo mobile. They are based on the West Coast (US) and I'm outside of Washington DC, but I've been very impressed with their service. I've gotten 4 new devices sent in the three years my family has been doing business with them and each one was seamless. They also support causes I care about (read Non-Tea Party Conservative causes which are the darlings of AT&T and Verizon). Couldn't be happier!

Erik

April 9th, 2016 San Diego, CA

Garbage coverage in the middle of the city, they keep doing provider upgrades to my phone and now as of Apr-8th I have 0 Wi-Fi connectivity and only 1x coverage even with their Airaid 6 feet and wifi router 2 feet and in sight. even with restart . Horrid customer service and reps BS to make the client feel they know anything, im on a hill and 1.2 miles from a cell tower that is active and still no coverage. Im done going back to verzion.

Melissa

December 3rd, 2015 Houston, TX

Sprint has lied to me for the last time. They tell you what you want to hear so customers will purchase a wifi device. I was told my bill would be 135.00 per month, but I received a $203.00 bill yesterday. I would rather go with another company than deal with Sprint any longer. Sincerely Unhappy customer

Bruce Ellison

July 16th, 2015 Lansing, MI

We are a long term Sprint customer and we have always loved the service. I have always heard people gripe about coverage in the country but I am for the most part an urban dweller and have always recieved excellent service. I recieve full bars in my home of LTE services in fact. Sprint has always offered the latest and greatest in phones and I recently upgraded to a platinum/gold Samsung S6 Edge 64gb which is easily the prettiest phone I've ever owned. I also noticed that Sprint tends to be cheaper than both ATT and Verizon and Tmobile doesn't even compete from a tech standpoint. All and all I am and continue to be happy with the service I get from Sprint.

Lex Luna

July 11th, 2015 El Paso, TX

Sprint has been the worst carrier I've ever had. Poor signal even at my home. The internet (if i get any) its very very very slow and takes a long time to load. I have to use an air-rave in order to get signal.and of course its not for free. So i am paying to use the service i am already paying for. Sprint goes out of the way to bring new customers but it wont even bother to keep current customers happy. I do not, i repeat i DO NOT recommend Sprint to anybody. I cant wait for my contract to expire so i can go elsewhere.

ruben

July 10th, 2015 Cincinnati, OH

Worst COmpany Ever!!. Custumer service -50, Signal, -11.... Esta compañia no sirve!

Dominic Rezza

July 9th, 2015 Miami Beach, FL

sprint blows its sucks the worst company been with them for 15+ years and I get nothing from them

Waheed

July 8th, 2015 Seattle, WA

I agreed with Carlos as well. I was been with Sprint for about 8 years just because for the price. however, Service was horrible , get disconnect several time even though i had a booster at my home but still same tower excuses. I have been told by Customer service and Tech dept that use your wifi connection when you're in home. But I dont understand why would i have to do that if i have plan unlimited with call data etc.??!!!! i just switch new carrier recently with TMobile. Much better service there 4GLTE is really 4GLTE. So far i'm liking TMobile

Carlos

July 8th, 2015 Cleveland, OH

I was with Sprint for about 10 years because of their OK pricing, however, I never did have signal anywhere. Everyone else could log into their data on 4G and 4G LTE, and I was stuck with 3G data, and long waits. I am very happy I left Sprint, I am now with At&T and my service works everywhere all the time.