Contact a company – $100 satisfaction guarantee keyboard_arrow_right

CarMax

CarMax Logo

CarMax

MaxCare from CarMax gives you nationwide protection and customizable mileage plans.

CarMax was founded in 1993 and has grown to be one of the largest used car dealerships in the United States. Buyers can be confident in when car buying from any CarMax dealer because all of their certified pre-owned vehicles come with a history and safety report.

CarMax dealerships have many different kinds of cars for sale, from commuter cars to trucks. Certain vehicles may have unrepaired safety recalls, but consumers can find that information before ever stepping foot in the dealership and taking a test drive.

The company offers a limited warranty with a 5-day money-back guarantee or an extended auto warranty plan which is underwritten by The Warranty Group, the largest underwriter for car warranties in the United States. Details about the cost, the terms of the warranty, and corrosion coverage are not disclosed to the general public but are provided to buyers at the time of purchase.

autopom! Logo autopom! ›

7.8

Overall
Score

CARCHEX Logo CARCHEX ›

7.6

Overall
Score

Endurance Logo Endurance ›

7.6

Overall
Score

CarMax Logo CarMax ›

Overall
Score

The Good

• Basic Warranty Features
  • Powertrain Warranty
  • Other Features
  • Time in Business

Basic Warranty Features

CarMax MaxCare extended warranty covers the pre-owned car's cooling, electronics and electrical systems, front suspension, steering, front and rear wheel drive (all-wheel drive), air conditioning system, assemblies and controls and the interior of the vehicle. Excluded are aftermarket accessories (entertainment consoles, GPS, radar detectors, satellite radio, CB radios) which were installed by the owner after purchase as well as oil change, tune-ups, and other maintenance visits. Tires, headlights, interior bulbs, and brakes are not included in the MaxCare extended warranty.

Powertrain Warranty

The MaxCare auto warranty covers both the car's engine and transmission against defects. There is a deductible for each repair, usually between $50 and $100. Some pre-owned cars may still have their initial manufacturer's powertrain warranty, depending on the age of the vehicle and its mileage. MaxCare coverage is supplemental to this warranty and may cover repairs which are not included in the original warranty.

Other Features

MaxCare includes several additional benefits which are designed to decrease the inconvenience when one's car needs repairs. All MaxCare Service Plans include national coverage, so vehicles are covered in all 50 states, no matter where the car was originally purchased. Should one experience a breakdown and need to be towed, up to $100 of towing expenses is eligible for reimbursement to get the vehicle to an approved service center or service department.

MaxCare includes car rental reimbursement for up to seven days at $40 per day for repairs which require the vehicle to be in the service center overnight. Courtesy same-day transportation or a loaner car(s) are not available. All used vehicles purchased from CarMax are eligible for coverage. Some vehicles which are purchased from CarMax are covered by the original manufacturer's factory warranty. MaxCare enhances the coverage, rather than replacing it. If accessories or upgrades are purchased with the vehicle from CarMax, these are included in the MaxCare Service Plan. Should buyers change their mind about MaxCare coverage, they can cancel their coverage and receive a prorated refund for the remainder of their service contract. The company charges a $30 administration fee for all cancellations.

Additionally, any accessories or upgrades issued and installed by CarMax are covered by the MaxCare extended service plan. CarMax offers customers the option to include the additional costs in most financing plans. Buyers have the option to make these upgrades to a CarMax vehicle:

• Leather Upgrades
  • Obstacle Avoidance
  • Anti-theft systems
    • Lojack Theft Recovery

Time in Business

CarMax was originally founded in 1993. While CarMax does not have as many years in business as many car companies, it has grown at an incredible rate and is one of the largest car dealers of certified pre-owned cars in the United States.

The Bad

• Warranty Costs
  • Basic Warranty Length
  • What Customers Are Saying

Warranty Costs

The MaxCare extended warranty cost is not disclosed by CarMax until a potential buyer is in the process of buying a car. The service contract can be purchased upfront with a full payment or financed into the loan and paid with monthly installments.

Those buying a MaxCare service contract select the cost of their deductible. All deductibles are paid per visit, not per repair. Should additional visits to an authorized service center be necessary for the same issue, the deductible is only paid once.

Basic Warranty Length

CarMax also does not disclose the lengths of service contracts which are available for MaxCare online. Attempts to receive this information result in company representatives stating that they are not able to give information on the specifics without first completing a sales document. The absence of this information is significant, as it places the buyer in the position of not being able to compare without investing significant time into the car-buying process, and potentially arriving at the last steps of the purchase process before being given this information.

The Bottom Line

CarMax is a great car dealership to choose when buying a used car. They offer extended warranties and clear vehicle histories with each of their certified pre-owned vehicles.

Many people prefer the peace of mind that comes with an automobile extended warranty when buying a used vehicle. There are several exclusions to MaxCare's covered repairs, many of which are basic maintenance visits. The lack of transparency is a concern as well; however, for those wanting to purchase an extended auto warranty for their CarMax vehicle, MaxCare may be a good option. BestComany.com recommends that users read the contract and understand their coverage thoroughly before purchasing any warranty, from CarMax or any other company.

View Best Car Warranty Companies

3.6

CC
September 25th, 2018 Richmond, TX DETAILS

What Carmax DEOSN'T tell you is that it will take up to 60 days to get your reimbursement when you have to pay for rental using your Maxcare Extended Warranty. These are the type of deceptive practices that will keep me from ever purchasing from them again. Its not that I am out of my money for up to 60 days, its the principal that makes this feel very shady.

Rashida Laumatia
August 29th, 2018 Saint George, UT

Great company! Amazing pricing and fast sales. Employees are so helpful and I could tell they love what they do.

Tori
August 28th, 2018 Arab, AL DETAILS

I have had issues with my vehicle since I got it from CarMax. It’s been looked at by CarMax, the dealership, and a MaxCare preffered auto repair shop and it has taken more than 6 months for anyone to resolve the issues I am facing with my CarMax vehicle. Thankfully, I chose to get MaxCare and everything has been covered. Although MaxCare has been great, it’s almost not worth the terrible customer service I have received from both CarMax and MaxCare. As a young female in my 20’s, I have felt taken advantage of throughout the process of trying to get my car fixed. If I had to do this car buying experience over again, I would not choose CarMax to do it with.

Eugene
August 27th, 2018 Palmdale, CA DETAILS

I have a 2013 Jaguar XF the turbo booster began to act up took the car to Carmax I was told it would have to go to the dealership Galpin in Van Nuys,CA. Bottom line care was fixed without MaxCare I would have had to come out of pocket for over 4000 dollars. Thanks to MaxCare I paid my deductible and I’m back on the road the next day.

Thomas Hullinger
August 27th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

I have used CarMax for many car purchases and I always get the car warranty to go along with it. I have also had to use the warranty on a few occasions and they did everything they said they were going to do. Well worth the money.

tini mapu
August 27th, 2018 Orem, UT

One of our vehicles are with CarMax and we love them. They are so easy to get a hold of. They take care of any questions and concerns that you have. And they have a veru user friendly website. That's a plus for someone like me who is not great with computers.

Allyah
August 24th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT

when i was caling around to get a price quote i wasn't impressed with the customer service at all. didn't really seem like he liked his job nor did he want to help / answer my questions.

Gregory
August 3rd, 2018 Estero, FL DETAILS

They refused to cover necessary work needed to be done to fix my car. I had to payout 1000 out of my pocket because the warranty made up some bogus number of how long it took to do a job when the dealership clearly explained to CarMax that the correct hours it would take. Their customer service in the warranty center is awful don’t bother calling them they refused to help and refused to transfer me to someone else to help solve my problem. Will never buy from CarMax again.

Melissa Shorb
May 18th, 2018 Bossier City, LA DETAILS

First of all they gave me a dirty car. It was filthy inside. It had 1000 miles more than they told me it had. They overcharged me on my state sales taxes so I got a loan for more than I needed and had to make two trips to my local dmv. Also took them two weeks to fax paperwork for my loan. Said it was something wrong with fax machine. I think it was operator error. Would not buy another car with them.

Jonathan
January 10th, 2018 Columbus, OH DETAILS

CarMax warranty was well presented and covered what I know from my experience as the major issues that come up with out much notice. When compared to the $8. my wife pays in Iphone Insurance on a $700. devise, $28 per month for a $20,000 asset is smart money.

Eric Reyes
December 23rd, 2016

Overall I really believe maxcare has been a lifesaver for me. I have purchased atleast 10 cars from Carmax.Some never needed any major repairs. MOST RECENTLY my 2008 bmw 750i engine seals failed 3 of 4 were approved costing over 3500$. This warranty has paid itself off. I've had other repairs on this car adding up to a minimum of $10,000. Peace of mind is what I purchased and it paid off. Extended warranty for 125,000 miles or 5 year whichever comes first at a cost of $3500 deductible 50$ Free if done at carmax.