StudentUniverse Logo

StudentUniverse

LAST UPDATED: January 26th, 2023

StudentUniverse is an online booking leader for students and young adults under 26 looking to make travel arrangements on a budget. It was officially launched in 2000 and remains a privately-held company. The StudentUniverse platform is made up of a network of global partners which provide discounted pricing on flights, hotels, and tours. They have proprietary verification technology which ensures that individuals accurately maintain student status since the ticket and reservation discounts are designed to benefit them while in school. The company executive offices/headquarters can be found in Waltham, Massachusetts.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus StudentUniverse reviews from real users.

The Good

• Benefits for Students
  • Business Model
  • No Fees to Use Platform
  • Discounts

Benefits for Students

While most online travel booking agencies are fighting over the same types of customers, StudentUniverse has created a platform that benefits a specific group - college students and youth. Their platform was created in an attempt to make traveling more accessible and affordable for those currently enrolled in classes. Oftentimes, students are working or having to take on a considerable amount of debt to finance school so paying for experiences abroad would normally be out of the question. With the help of StudentUniverse, thousands of students across the globe are able to take part in meaningful travel with the ability to book cheap flights.

The most beneficial aspect of the StudentUniverse platform is first and foremost their ability to provide discounted travel options to students. All air travel, hotels, and travel activities/tours are provided at a discounted rate due to the participation of popular accommodation providers. These prices make travel somewhat reasonable for the common student to see the world without taking on additional debt. This exclusive pricing on airline tickets is only available to current students.

On top of travel deals, the site helps students figure out what type of visa they will need, depending on their destination, or the location of their study abroad program.

Business Model

The business model of StudentUniverse is rather complex, but yields positive results. Their technology and strategic partnerships with third party providers allow students to take advantage of some of the best discounts and travel accommodations available. The model is broken down as follows to maximize savings:

• Exclusive airfare deals with over 220 airline partners
  • No membership fee for students
  • Hotel accommodations through a network of affordable lodging providers
  • Tours and activities discounted for students while traveling

No Fees to Use Platform

The travel service makes money solely off of commissions, advertising sales, booking fees, and some transactions. This set up allows students to still take advantage of the cheapest deals without having to pay an additional fee simply to use the StudentUniverse website. Students can easily filter flight results to find exclusive travel deals without a paid subscription.

Discounts

StudentUniverse offers a few discounts that a customer should know about. If members refer a friend who ends up booking a flight, both parties get $20 off on their next flight.

Members get promo discount codes sent straight to their email inbox for additional discounts on their already cheap flights. A promo code can still only be used to book student flights.

The Bad

• Limitations
  • No Airfare Rate Guarantees
  • Best for Groups

Limitations

Obviously, this is not a platform for everyone. In fact, this platform cannot even be used by those who are not enrolled in classes at the high school or college level. StudentUniverse utilizes a verification technology that ensures an individual maintains a student status and is eligible for the discounts. Those individuals who are not students will not be able to book travel through StudentUniverse. Occasionally, there are deals for those ages 18-25 that are not enrolled in classes but these deals are not to be expected.

No Airfare Rate Guarantees

The platform, while boasting of providing discounts on travel accommodations, has openly admitted that they cannot guarantee rates on airfare. While airline rates are typically less expensive and more reasonable for students when using the platform, it is not so one hundred percent of the time. StudentUniverse states:

• Airfares are not guaranteed to be cheaper than retail fares
  • Fares generally available on the market may be the listing price
  • Other booking sites may have access to other exclusive airfare deals that SU does not have a partnership with
  • No comparison tool exists to find the cheapest rate

Best for Groups

StudentUniverse’s discount booking service is best utilized in a group format. That means an entire class or a large group of students booking a trip together will receive the best discounts on flights and hotels. While a person can also book their own individual travel with a student discount, the booking process is specifically designed to benefit the group trip set-up with student fare.

The Bottom Line

StudentUniverse has created a travel booking site that benefits students with a passion for travel.  Partnerships offer student travelers discounted rates so they can experience the world without taking on a considerable amount of debt. Members who plan on using StudentUniverse to book their travel can expect the following from the service:

1. Exclusive deals for students
  2. Discounted airfare/hotel accommodations
  3. Deals on tours and attractions
  4. Travel insurance
  5. Group travel preferred
  6. No comparison tool
  7. Only for current students

Madelaine Botti Bonita Springs, FL

I was surprised to have this link appear to Student Universe while booking our flight from a different search engine. I even shut it down and restarted and it happened again. So I decided it must be legitimate. It was easy. The price was was very good. Thank you!

Freda Liang Ann Arbor, MI

I like the interface and for providing flexible dates to check different prices. But sometimes even with student discounts, the price is still higher than other flight tickets booking websites. I hope there will be more discounts/coupons for students.

Javier Garcia Fernandez Winter Park, FL

Always great prices and great flexibility with dates and times. Never had a problem with them in the 4 years I've been buying tickets from them. Totally reccomended

Valentina Alice Gozzini Allston, MA

I like how easy the website work. I like being informed about the baggage [possibilities right on the website and that I don't have to communicate directly with the airlines with every small question when purchasing the ticket.

Joseph Tanios

The price and the quick response to my feedback. One thing I would like to add: It would have helped me a great deal before I finalized and paid for the ticket, to know that I will not be able to select my seats until 24 hours before departure. I accessed British Airways website and that is the response I received. This means I will not have too many choices with regard to seating. Thanks for listening.

Myles Griffin Washington, DC

Overall, I had a smooth booking experience. The rest has been slightly annoying but manageable. Firstly, I didn't receive my E-ticket immediately and I had to contact customer support. Luckily, the guy who assisted me was very friendly and was able to assist right away. Secondly, StudentUniverse doesn't clarify whether a ticket is an Economy or Basic economy ticket. And while it might not make a huge difference for smaller budget airlines, it makes a huge difference for United in specific because on a basic economy ticket, you don't get free seat selection or a free checked bag. The one comforting thing is that I was able to use a flight voucher for my ticket. So having to pay for the bags and possibly seat selection isn't going to be a huge financial blow. The other comforting thing is that United is a decent airline from my experience, so basic economy won't be too much of a headache. Nonetheless, what can I do? Just hoping for the best and that I'll make it to France next month.

Angelica Lucero Martinez Dobong-gu, 11

I am so happy they provide all the services to students, easy to access and navigate. The consumer services were super nice and were extremely helpful with all my requests.

Scout Barratt Busan, 26

I appreciate that they were quick to verify if I was indeed the purchaser of the ticket, and swiftly verified that I was within hours of my response. Trustworthiness and reliable responsiveness are valuable traits.

shreya ciryam Oxnard, CA

Phone Service was good But the website is unclear about eligibility. Unsure if you’re older than 26 and not a student if you can make a booking through your agency or not. Tickets are thousands of dollars, and it’s tricky to book if we are unsure if we are denied a seat when we go to the airport to fly.

Jason Su Columbus, OH

The price and the amazon prime student discount. Also, being able to get pricing for different airlines on an app/website without having to search it one by one on my own is convenient.

Chichi Bacoor, CAV

First time using StudentUniverse and I am very satisfied! I booked a flight at midnight, contacted their wechat account in the morning and the response is so fast! Got my ticket in less than 12 hours after booking.

Cloe Nhalungo Seoul, 11

I hadn’t checked my email after purchasing the ticket and quickly learned about the ticketing issue. When I saw the issued had been fixed without my own intervention I was very pleased. And I saw that the company continued to contact me after I hadn’t answered the first time. Thank you for your service and support!

Daniel Vargas San José, SJ

As always, AMAZING! Best place I've found to purchase tickets. I can finally say I trust a site to buy my tickets for all flights.

Alexis Palmer Poplar, TWH

Great service. Whenever I call , they always sort out my problem correctly and I feel very secure booking with this service.

Dmack Rodriguez Phoenix, AZ

Everything is working Great for me. Thanks for a fast response

Edgar FAUQUE

Very easy website, reactive customer support ! No hastle i recommend

Christina Painter Laguna Beach, CA

I don’t leave reviews when I haven’t actually completed the process. Purchasing my ticket was easy but we’ll see if I actually have a seat on the plane.

Neha Soni Trenton, NJ

If you’re a student and on a budget, this is THE BEST PLACE to book your tickets!! Insanely amazing prices and super helpful support service!!

Blake Richardson Washington, DC

A staff member was able to assist me with making my travel arrangements. She was very knowledgeable, professional and courteous. Good experience!

Flor Selena Caceres Washington, DC

I liked how easy it was to book my flight

birute Ridge, NY

Appreciated discount for the students!!!!

Muhammad Shazil Farukh San Francisco, CA

I liked the discounted price for students

Juno Park Chicago, IL

I liked that the tickets were cheaper than other options

Deepak Manohar Hempstead, TX

Great. I love student universe. The customer service is amazing

Amanda Mandatta Flemington, NJ

great easy and fast booking for cheap! excited about my next trip!

Tushar Ahuja Seattle, WA

StudentUniverse lures you with this cheap advertised pricing but charge it to exorbitant fees for any changes or cancellation. Please read the ticket terms carefully before you go ahead

ĐỖ NGỌC TƯỜNG VY Springfield, MA

Great customer service. They answer phone really fast and work with them is much quicker than other airline

Daniel Chabeda Berkeley, CA

Very efficient to use, and I have never had an issue with a reservation not getting recognized by an airline.

Natalia Jayy Piscataway, NJ

This app is especially helpful as I am using the tickets to study abroad. Thank you for offering financially viable options!

Marina G Wharton, NJ

Thank you. I received my booking. Thank you

Keith Rebello

I like the options and the discounts. I also liked the service and convenience.

Sarah Chen Corning, NY

It aggregates from different sources, so I'm able to compare my options. However, it doesn't have Southwest flights.

Einat Oron Raanana, M

I booked a flight with studentUniverse. so far it was great. I hope the flight will be as well

Hope S Normal, IL

Easy process and I was able to understand the steps necessary to complete my booking.

Kulandaiappan Varadaraj East Setauket, NY

Air ticket reservation is great. I will use it again.

ThuyDuyen Nguyen Spring, TX

Very good, highly recommended for everyone

Etan F The Bronx, NY

very easy sight to navigate good prices

Wayne Davis Chicago, IL

I love using this for cheap travel and booking

Lillie

I like how they always send me emails to keep me updated.

A R Y A N Detroit, MI

Really easy and less expensive and helpful for students

Jonathan Greco Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

I liked the easy to navigate format of the website!

Abdulai Omosunlade Bloomington, IN

Great customer service, and value team's security consciousness

naveen Kumar Naperville, IL

Good experience , quick and easy, didn’t need to go through a lot of pages.

DeAnna Strong Ann Arbor, MI

I loved how simple this was !it was easy to get everything set up !

Sergio Zarate Whittier, CA

Great prices for students like myself. Cant wait for Singapore.

SWAYAM SHANKHDHAR Tempe, AZ

Awesome price and service for students and yes I received my confirmation.

Jess Horner

Haven't flown yet so can't speak about that, but the booking process was smooth!

Karolina Barabash

Was really easy and fast to book my flights here through my school.

Vigneshwara Boopathi

It was really good experience in booking my ticket with student universe.

Antonia Bloomfield, CT

They offered a very cheap ticket! So it was a good experience