Bank of America Logo

Bank of America

Is This Your Business?

6.6

Based in North Carolina, Bank of America offers financial solutions for customers who are looking to manage their money. Bank of America offers services and products whether they’re for personal needs, small businesses, wealth management or businesses and institutions. Bank of America seeks to give back to the community through its partnership with Habitat for Humanity. It also offers retirement planning services.

Wells Fargo Logo
#1 Wells Fargo chevron_right
3.7
Chase Bank Logo
#2 Chase Bank chevron_right
4.1
Capital One Logo
#3 Capital One chevron_right

The Good

• Great Services
  • Habitat for Humanity Partnership
  • Online and Mobile Banking

Great Services

Have been in business for over 200 years with $2 billion in total assets. They offer services to personal, small businesses, wealth management, as well as business and institutions. They are a developed bank that provide many services for customer needs:

• banking for checking, saving, and CD accounts
  • Loans for mortgage, refinance, home equity, and automobiles
  • investments with retirement, IRA and 401k, 529 and college savings, and other investment products
  • consumer and commercial finance services
  • learning with budgeting and saving, managing credit, home buying, and retirement planning

They are a global bank with more than 5,000 retail banking offices in the U.S. alone. Only bank where they provide a "Learning" tab for customers to learn more about finances.

Habitat for Humanity

As part of its goal to give back to the community, Bank of America has a partnership with Habitat for Humanity. Bank of America launched a first-ever global multi-city build in 41 communities. This effort was made possible by a $6 million investment from the Bank of America Charitable Foundation.

Online and Mobile Banking

For the on the go customer, Bank of America also provides online banking and mobile banking. Its mobile is available for Apple and Android users. Customers who use mobile banking can take advantage of different factors including:

• Mobile check deposits
  • Money transfers
  • Manage accounts

Bank of America's mobile app has been recognized as having the Best Overall Identity Safety in Banking by Javelin Strategy and Research.

The Bad

• No Student Loans
  • Banking Fees
  • Opening Fee

No Student Loans

College students who need help with funding will not find student loans available at Bank of America. They will have to choose another bank to receive a loan that will help them achieve a higher education.

Banking Fees

There are banking fee's for their two checking accounts. Some examples are:

• Opening fee, depending on the type of account there is a minimum opening fee of $25 or $100
  • Maintenance fee of either $12, $14, or $25 which can be avoided by meeting banks criteria
  • Overdraft and returned items fee $35
  • Overdrafts Extended Overdrawn balance $35
  • Overdraft protection service each transfer $10
  • Other common fees are check and deposit ticket orders, consulate letter fee, returned item chargeback fee, legal process fee, stop payment fee ($30), and wire transfers

Opening Fee

For the 3 saving account there is an opening fee of $25 and 2 of the 3 have a .01% Annual Percentage Yield (APY). If requirements are not met there will be a $5 or $12 monthly maintenance fee.

The Bottom Line

Bank of America has proved themselves to be a secure bank to open an account for personal, small business, wealth management,  or business and institutions.  Their many services provide an excellent source for financial needs as well as the opportunity to learn more for yourself. This is the only company where they provide an option where you can learn about finances. Consumers can reach their customer service line during business hours or get automated support 24/7. Our recommendation: If you're a student and in need of a loan, it may be best to look elsewhere. For everyone else, consider Bank of America for your banking needs.

3.8

rcb15D Tallahassee, FL

Bank of America was the first bank my family ever used. They are very reliable and certainly have great customer service. Transparency of their fees was refreshing since most banks throw random fees at you. Especially their loan policies are amazing considering my mother is Cuban-American; Bank of America is very inclusive. My mother even opened an account for me.

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

Very happy with Bank of America as they always provide competitive rates for loans. My family has always found the number of branches to be very helpful. This full service bank is a great financial partner. I use it daily for my business purposes. Bank of America is as professional as they come. No better bank!

Thomas Bekey Scottsdale, AZ

Payroll check was not credited to my account onemonthafter it was deposited. As a result my checks for rent and groceries were returned as NSF. Met with banker who apologized profusely for their mistake. Same thing occurred the following month so I requested a letter from the bank explaining their mistake, that I could provide to my landlord and grocer. I immediately removed all of my funds from BofA.

Beverly Schacher Long Beach, MS

We banked here for many years before moving to a small town with no B of A branch nearby. We always received excellent service and free checking. We would definitely recommend them!

Lisa Hrycyk

i use bank of america for one of my most used credit cards through allegiant airlines. i earn points for purchases which go towards flights with allegiant. they could improve by offering cheaper interest rates for regular purchases. maybe base it off monthly spending amounts.

Tanner Cook Gilbert, AZ

I’ve been banking with Bank of America my whole life. They offer good rewards if you have enough in savings, and the credit card perks like it with them are great. I’ve never had a problem with them, and anytime I go into a branch they’re always very helpful.

Thomas Hullinger Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Bank of America in the past and they were easy to work with. Provided the checking and savings accounts that I needed and the services that go with them were great. They also are very modern and I like their internet capabilities.

Joe Rasper

The website is great for transferring money, checking balances and using bill pay. In addition, the customer support is very accessible and does a great job answering all your questions.

John

I leave my review for Bank of America because after being with them for 20 years and owning two separate businesses they still do not help me when I need money. They are lending practices are to stringent and the policies that they follow do not help a hard-working small businessman in the beginning of starting his business. I no longer need alone , But I still remember when I did need a credit line Bank of America turned me down. I do all my business through Bank of America and for being his customer as long as I have someone upstairs just doesn't get it.

Connie Mayer South Jordan, UT

Banks are banks. Credit unions are better to me, but Bank of America is just fine. I talked to a customer service rep and compared services, and even though banks are pretty similar, Bank of America just wasn't the right fit for me.

Mark

We have used Bank of America for about 30 years. Their website is easy to use, and we appreciate the options available for paying bills, transferring funds, and managing our money. Their interest rate is rather on the low side for their savings program, but they have been a good company to work with otherwise.

Kenneth Okerlund Orem, UT

I love using Bank of America, they were always consistent with their billing. The online site and the mobile app were really well done and user friendly. I never even needed to see a representative because everything was so easy to figure out and do myself.

Larry Hawker

Have used them for years but the bank is somewhat difficult to work with. Have random holds placed on deposits. Not what customers want to deal with today. Also, they tend not to have enough tellers during peak periods.

Amanda Montebello, CA

My primary checking account is with Bank of America and I’ve had great experience with customer service. Also, I enjoy being rewarded for shopping at certain stores.

Zoey

They are difficult to reach on the telephone. Their walk-in "mini-banks" are frustrating because greeters are sometimes aggressive and when no greeters are there, it's a puzzle to know where to find a teller. The "hole-in-the-wall" where you can deposit or withdraw malfunctions about once a month.

Preston Ingalls

I have banked with BOA even before they became BOA and were Nations Bank and then before that NCNB. Good service and I have had one small issue with them in years.

Alex Nee Centerville, MA

Customer service needs some work... But their services and products are top tier. Bring in the know with my money is important and they make it easy. But if there is a problem expect to be irritated... Unless you go into a branch office.

Eugenia Lee

Never have had a problem with them. They even reversed some fees when I was charged for something I didn't order. Friendly customer service reps also. Always ready to help!!

Hannah Pleasant Grove, UT

Bank of America's website is not my favorite. It is complicated and not easy to use. It is not user friendly. This is a huge company. You think they would fix this. But as a bank, they are fine.

Tom Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used Bank of America for a deposit account, and also credit cards. They are easy to work with, have great customer service and are very convenient. I like that they have a national presence and use their ATM's. Good on low fees.

Yordan Urrutia Orlando, FL

I currently bank with Bank of America and they are great! Whenever I’ve have an issue they are always there to help. Highly recommend!

Deborah integlia Bedford, NH

Been a member since 2000 when we moved to Maine. Never have I had a complaint that they couldn’t fix and send me off satisfied.

Tori smith Mesa, AZ

Bank of America is always so helpful with my account problems and they are always to willing to help me figure things out

A Craw Draper, UT

I appreciate how many ATM's they have available and the incentives associated with opening accounts. Customer service is excellent.

Alicia Holman Gilbert, AZ

Their customer service isn't up to speed. They seem to be too big to care about the smaller accounts, so if there are any issues, they don't really take the time to try to rectify the problem. Their managers don't seem to have enough power to be able to make changes for people when needed.

Jason

Amazing applications, Saturday Banking, Seamless connection to Merrill Lynch accounts. However, transfer fees are high; additional fees are too high. Poor in-bank customer service.

Anne Beaty

I have had excellent service with B of A, for many years now. No, they're not perfect, but of all the big banks, I think they're the best.

luis galan

they are good when you have good credit, their checks for balance transfer are all kept all year long(as long as your credit is good)

Pam Coleman

Charging overdraft fees on top of over draft fees is my biggest issue with them. I know that the goal is to stay in the positive, but to charge a $35 fee, for being in the negative by $.10 Is excessive. I feel thst customers should at least be given a day to rectify the problem before fees are implemented.

Michael Howard

They make lot's of mistakes and it takes forever to resolve the problems. When I go to the branch it is rare that there is ever more than one teller window open even when there are 10 or more people in line.

Nana Asiata Herriman, UT

Bank of America is a great bank to bank with. Bank of America is welling to help their customers out with stolen card and unknown transactions. The process only one or two day long to get your money back.

B. A Messina-Gates Royse City, TX

We have had accounts at Bank of America for decades. The service at our local branch has always been good. We have had no problems till now. Bank of America announced In April 2018 they will no longer make loans to arms manufacturers. Short term business loans are typically the way business operates. This will be a huge hardship and may possibly put them out of business. This is a way to strangle our second amendment rights. I am in the process of switching banks because of this.

Alaina Gull Falmouth, ME

I was a longtime customer of Bank of America. When the economy collapsed in 2008, although I continued to pay my loan on time, and the full amount due each month, they rewarded me by lowering my credit amount each month to match what I owed. This hurt my credit report because it made it look like I had maxed out my credit card, which I did not. I started with $11,000 of available credit which they reduced to my amount owed immediately after the collapse. Each time I paid on my loan, they again reduced my available credit. Nothing changed in my status, but they were punishing their loyal customer for their own bad lending habits. If this is how they reward loyal customers, I don't ever want to be one again. I haven't used them since.

Sandy Seaside, OR

We've been with them for many years. Their customer service has been great to work with. Getting to the representative to help is a bit annoying though. Way to long on the phone.

Kyana Jackson

The Customer Service is always great!! They treat me as if they were on the receiving end themselves!!!

Alana S Orlando, FL

This is a trustworthy bank. Late fees are reasonable and I never feel like they are over charging me

Emiliano Galeano Elkridge, MD

I owned a bank/saving account since 2007, it has been a good experience so far. They have called me early the one time I had my card cloned/stolen

Jarrett Ingram Baltimore, MD

Bank of America's hidden fees were enough to make my take my business elsewhere. The tellers at various BOA branches in the Baltimore area displayed poor customer service at different times. All in all, I was completely dissatisfied with my time as a BOA customer, and I would not recommend them to anyone who really pays attention to their money.

Kimsreview Olney, MD

Fees, fees and more fees. I was a loyal BOA costumer and finally got frustrated a few years ago when they started adding fees for everything. I was a loyal banker for over 20 years and finally gave up and switched to USAA which has minimal fees and very good customer service.

Karen Miami, FL

Great consumer service. The telephone automated system is very useful. I really like the confirmation emails

R. Wagner

With the exception of their mortgage division, their general banking features and services are excellent.

Kristin Banks

They are always there should I need them, I've been a customer at other banks, but BofA is by far the best

Dave B

Online App is extremely good. In my city, they reduced the number of locations from 3 to 1 and closed the drive-thru. That hurt big time.

Buyer Be Aware

There are Atm's in most of the areas I shop and close to my home. I've had 3 home and multiple vehicle loans with them with good loan rates.

Richard Beckham

Embezzling thousands from my mortgage payments. Buying my home equity line of credit without my written permission. Not applying my home equity payments to my account as servicer. Adding the home equity amount to the interest on my mortgage.

ginger

I have been with them for over 10 years. Everything is perfect, staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

Linda Hill

Bank of America has been wonderful! Their customer service can't be beat. When you call... you actually get a person!

MissB

They really need to change their fees for withdrawals out of personal accounts after a certain number they charge you a fee to get your money

Donna Brombacher Allen, TX

Fraudulent charges on my credit card that were investigated and were returned to my account.

Andre Cummings

Their customer care is excellent. They are not quite setup for the use of the digital card