Aflac Logo
LAST UPDATED: October 9th, 2022

Originally called American Family Life Assurance Company of Columbus, Aflac was started by three brothers, Bill, Daniel, and John Amos, in 1955 in Columbus, Georgia.

The company is publicly traded, earning ~22.3 billion dollars in revenue in 2019. Offering multiple types of insurance — including accident insurance — Aflac is a major player in the market.

The Good

• Wide Availability
  • Cash Payment
  • Lack of Medical Exam

Wide Availability

Aflac’s accident insurance policies are available to individuals, not just through an employer. This widens access to supplemental insurance to many individuals who are self-employed or not able to be insured through work plans. MetLife has supplemental policies as well, but accident insurance is only available through an employer. Competitor Unum is also only available through employers.

Cash Payment

When a claim is filed and verified, the company pays individuals directly through a personal check or account direct deposit. There is no hassle as far as going through a middleman main insurance provider. Customers can choose personally how to use the claim money.

Lack of Medical Exam

The company does not require a medical exam in order to apply for an accident protection policy. This shortens the process of onboarding, as well as reduces paperwork, time delay, and ease of getting started.

The Bad

• Non-Transparent Pricing
  • Lengthy Claims Process
  • Sales Calls

Non-Transparent Pricing

Aflac does not have pricing and coverage listed on their website. Customers must fill out and submit information to request a quote. Competitor Unum also does not include pricing online either.

However, other companies provide more information up front and have automated sign up, so having to go through a sales agent is a bit of a deterrent. Buddy Insurance clearly lists pricing online — $50 per person or $128 per family per month — and makes that information about sign up a lot easier to find.

Lengthy Claims Process

Many customers have complained about lack of communication from representatives, numerous requests for paperwork (sometimes duplicates of what was already sent), and Aflac avoiding paying out for claims. Payments also can take a long time to be received.

The number of complaints has increased significantly in the last two years or so, although a cause of this increase cannot specifically be determined.

Sales Calls

Customers have also complained about receiving calls from Aflac or affiliated partners wanting to upsell products, and that this happens frequently. This is par for the course for insurance brands, as the industry is highly competitive and rates change frequently.

The Bottom Line

Aflac is a known brand — there’s hardly a person online or who watches television, who isn’t familiar with the company.

Lesser known is that the company offers accident insurance — and that it is more widely accessible to customers independent of employment status.

Like any corporation, Aflac’s disadvantages come from bureaucratic hassles and red tape; however, its deep pockets make the company’s financial procedures a very attractive choice.

View Best Accident Insurance Companies

4.1

Gina Donofrio

Aflac is the easiest Insurance company in which to be enrolled. The Agents are friendly, and has a vast of knowledge. When I was injured, without question a check was hand delivered to me the next day. There really isn't anything I didn't like a out Aflac. It's a great company.

dc El Centro, CA

The clients are treated with fairness, compassion, and professionalism. Timeliness is essential in all facets of life, they are cognizant of the fact that time is irreversible and treat clients accordingly. They are helpful and readily choose to apply the most beneficial plans to the client

Tabitha Pettiway Smithfield, NC

I love this because it give me a peace of mind when I am in the hospital and I don’t have to worry about my expenses

jamee emens Scottsdale, AZ

I have had Aflac for 16 years. I think the insurance offerings are comprehensive and competitively priced. I think their insurance reps are flakey. Our first Aflac rep was great. We had him for five years. When he left Aflac, we have years with no rep, reps that won't return phone calls, and reps that leave Aflac and try to take us with them. The claim process with Aflac is easy and the payment is prompt.

Excellent Plumber Service Rex, GA

I love Aflac because it helps me pay my medical bills with services not covered by my insurance company. They are reliable with easy online claim filing. Great insurance plans.

Robert Mott

This came in handy when I broke my leg on my ATV. It helped with my bills and being off work. It was not only a life saver for me but my entire family. The customer service people I dealt with were helpful and compassionate. They knew their job and it was huge relief to have that service.

Bridget Walker Bay Saint Louis, MS

Aflac has the best insurance prices in the world. Everything in my life is insured through them. They keep me and my family insured. I couldnt ask for a better insurance.

sasha robinson Fort Wayne, IN

I got introduced to Aflac through a job and the benefits are amazing. They pay you to go to the doctor for the whole family. I learned that they also do rebursment on payments as well.

Mario Martin Houston, TX

I signed up for Aflac in August of 2012 without actually giving it much thought. Later that same year in November I had an accident that required me to have knee surgery. My insurance covered my medical and I did have supplemental short term insurance that helped with other expenses. However, the real value of Aflac was what made the biggest difference. Without realizing and/or understanding exactly what Aflac value was, I can honestly say that without Aflac the 3 1/2 months off work would have been a greater inconvenience for me and my family.

Corryn Moore Richmond, VA

My husband just signed us up for this after he saw a coworker not be prepared when he was unexpectedly out of work for several weeks. He had someone come to his work, explain it all, got us signed up, and activated the same day. It's a great deal to prepare for the unexpected. Hope we don't need to use it, but it's great affordable coverage if we ever do.

Chad Edgar Halifax, VA

I've had a aflac as long as I can remember I love the little Aflac duck customer service is very calm and ready to deal with the situation at hand which is always good in an emergency

Anoushka Ahuja Orlando, FL

I was offered Aflac at work, the rep was very informed and answered all the questions with about if patience. Done if my colleagues were able to use the benefits and they told me that it was quick and painless

Tx Mike Columbus, TX

If you are the type of person that saves all your grocery store and gas receipts and keeps them in a file in chronological order that you review and tabulate on a weekly basis, then AFLAC just might be the insurance company for you. While they promise great things about how you can save all this money and make a small fortune getting paid to go to the doctor for a hangnail, the reality is that the claims process is tedious and very time consuming for little reward. Not to mention, the insurance itself is expensive for the payout you receive. There are no free lunches out there and if you think your going to get one with AFLAC it will be the most expensive PB&J you ever bought!

letsgogreen12 Macomb, MI

Honestly, I became an Aflac customer because I have always enjoyed the commercials on television. Since having Aflac, I have been satisfied with friendly customer service representatives and quick updates within my policy.

Tammie Newsome Milledgeville, GA

When a accident occurs and your unable to work you need a sting company behind you. I did not think I could afford extra insurance but the premiums are not bad at all. With all the types of policy everyone is covered for anything.

Wendy W Collinsville, IL

Prices seem okay but when it comes to filing a claim they make it hard to do so. I was injured April 25, 21 and still haven't seen a penny. I keep sending in paperwork and signing consents and still they keep asking for more information. I'm also filling for short term disability for having surgery due to the accident and have been told it may not be classified as an injury and I may not get paid for it right away. If I had known it was going to be a fight to get paid I never would have purchased their insurance. Customer service is very sympathetic and understanding but can'r really help as "another department" that you can't speak to determines what is needed and if it meets the criteria of "an accident" or "illness" under their guidelines that are not identified in the policy paperwork they give you.

Party0f7 Macomb, MI

Aflac is an affordable insurance with great customer service representatives. I feel confident with my insurance plan and coverage in the event of needing assistance.

WastedTalent Binghamton, NY

At first, Aflac had no problems paying out when I went into the hospital for emergency surgery and miss a few weeks of work. A couple of years later, they refused to pay out after I had to have a knee operation. My job terminated me the day before my surgery (company was moving and I wasn't commuting 70 miles) and Aflac wouldn't pay me, even though I was paid up with them.

Tina Brandon Norman Park, GA

AFLAC is a very good supplemental insurance to have and my premiums were very reasonable. The worst part was that I had the plan through my job and when I left my job, I lost the insurance.

K.M. P. Charlotte, NC

Absolutely love this company. They supplement our accident coverage through our auto insurance help out with appointments aftercare from an accident where the person didn't have insurance.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

Aflac is amazing at what they cover. My work offers Aflac and I elected for long term coverage. I haven’t needed to use it fortunately; however, a colleague had an accident, filed her claim, and was quickly paid

Shopman Herriman, UT

Having accident insurance brings our family a lot of peace of mind. The premiums are small. The big key is knowing what your policy actually covers.

Paula Barber Melbourne, FL

We were offered Aflac as a supplemental insurance when I was working. I always added it. It was great for getting yearly exams and accidents.

Ben Hayward, CA

I've had aflac for 25 years and the premium levels for everything they cover it's the best when it comes to claims fast response and never have let me down..

Marc Tucson, AZ

The customer service and response times are great. I have not had to use my Aflac insurance thankfully, but I love knowing I have them if I ever need them.

Amberly Pack Salt Lake City, UT

I used Aflac Gap insurance when having my last two babies. The insurance made their births so much more affordable!

Mike John Logan, UT

Sometimes it is great. Other times it is extremely confusing. I have heard about the all, but have not been able to process Andy thing through it yet

Ellie Giardino Tallahassee, FL

I love Aflac. Sometimes there are injuries that are not planned, but with Aflac you can always be prepared. I also love the commercials.

Gabby A Norristown, PA

I have several different supplemental plans with AFLAC. They are reasonable in price and it is so easy to deal with a claim.

moose72 Muncy, PA

Great customer service and great service it is a must have to help cover the bumps in life when you need the money to pay bills and can not work

Phil Houston, TX

The service is perfect. They are dependable and fulfilled the contract fast. Nothing but good about this company and the service they offer

Q Kelly Hallandale, FL

I was approached by one of their representatives the only problem that I have with this company is if you have already been diagnosed they will not sign you up you are not eligible for Aflac so what’s the point

R. M Reseda, CA

I had it a few years ago. It was a nightmare that I got rid of! They charged me and when I needed them, they refused to pay for my hospitalization. Then I stopped it the following year but they kept charging me! Until I complained them to the Department of Insurance. I will never recommend it to anyone

Rom Mendawi Los Angeles, CA

Debra Sims Chicago, IL

My husband had cancer and they paid for him just having cancer but they did not pay for his doctor visits that were cancer related we were very disappointed in them they are not very trustworthy only because they don't tell you things up front.

Igith88 Naples, FL

They were quick to respond and help me w a good rate. Friendly. And helpful. Every step of the way. I recommend them.

Toni Hudson Cantonment, FL

I had Aflac, paid hundreds of dollars for nothing. When I got hurt on the job. Aflac managed to not pay me for my ingery. They used loop holes or their own evaluation by looking at paperwork. Not a trust worthy insurance.

seanth57 Columbus, GA

The service is excellent. policies easy to understand, no hassles when a claim is filled.

Patriot Bren Houston, TX

Affordable prices for piece of mind in case of an accident or unexpected surgery!

SA Plano, TX

Excellent services offered to offset unexpected costs. Also good reimbursement for preventive care.

Don Dunagan Camillus, NY

It's not very easy to put in a claim. They paid quick, but I have struggled both times I submitted a claim. Not sure if I will keep it.

Michael Kline Mesa, AZ

Great service plans available, good customer support

Chris Bright Tempe, AZ

I felt like they over charged and did not do a great job explaining the service. I cancelled because I felt like I was throwing my money away.

2020 Umatilla, FL

All seems great on paper until you get the products installed and try to call customer service to help answer your questions. And this is all over-priced to start with!

victor ridgeway Columbus, OH

Good alternative to help with extra hospital bills

Lou G Venice, FL

Great customer service and next day payment really works

Judy St. Petersburg, FL

I tried and tried to purchase this coverage but they couldn't figure out how to cash my check so I couldn't purchase it! Lol

Diane Cantrell Denison, TX

Way too expensive unable to afford there insurance