Windstream Communications is a cable and internet provider in 18 states, mainly in the East, South, and Midwest regions of the United States. In addition to being one of the country's biggest fiber networks, this company is also a VoIP provider. We will be focusing on VoIP service in this review. For reviews about the company’s internet service, view Windstream ISP Reviews.
Windstream offers VoIP phone service for SMBs and enterprise-level customers with lots of employees, as well as video conferencing and other applications like a hosted private branch exchange. Here is a list of their products:
- Kinetic Business OfficeSuite UC (Unified Communications): A cloud-based voice and collaboration system which includes phone calls, voicemail, internet fax, messaging, and conferencing in one software platform. Hundreds of features are available and all communications including calls, meetings, and messages are encrypted. It has high definition audio and video quality and includes real-time presence monitoring, company and messaging, auto attendant, an online management tool, a 30-day satisfaction guarantee, and 24/7 customer support. Prices start at $19.95 per user per month with a two-year contract.
- UCaaS: Includes SD-WAN or MPLS options, 99.999 percent SLA guarantee, secure data centers, and partnerships with Avaya and Mitel for additional service features. Users can also take advantage of UC tools and collaboration solutions like screen sharing, integration with popular software, and CRM applications.
- CCaas (Contact Center as a Service): A flexible and scalable system that allows multiple customer communication channels. The service allows specialized call routing, reporting analytics, workforce management tools, IVR, call monitoring and recording for quality assurance.
- Voice Services
- Virtual PBX
- SIP Trunking services
- Long Distance and Toll-Free
- Web Conferencing
Windstream UC Features:
- WE Connect management portal
- Mobile app for IOS and Android
- Video meetings
- Visual voicemail
- Voice to text
- Click to call
- Team messaging
- Host and record HD video and audio and web conferencing for up to 500 users
- Office 365
- Skype for Business
- Compatible with the following
- iOS and Android
- Polycom VVX
- Enables HIPAA Compliance
Kinetic Business Bundle
- Per-seat pricing: bundles starting at $64.99 with 1 Gbps and VoIP, unlimited long distance calling
- Only 10 professional features
- Professional installation
- 24/7 business support
- Requires a 24 month contract
You have to pay an additional $39.99 per month for 99.999% uptime SLA.
Keep reading for pros and cons, plus Windstream VoIP reviews from real customers.
View Best VoIP Providers
- Security and Compliance
- Hardware Options
- 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee
Security and Compliance
This company uses a proprietary technology design that encrypts your communications for enhanced security.
Windstream service allows customers to use existing Hardware or new SIP phone, as well as softphone options. Although a $10 equipment fee may apply, this is a benefit because not all VoIP providers offer solutions that are so flexible and work with any SIP phone.
30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee
This VoIP provider offers a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. This is a great bonus for customers who are unsure about Windstream.
- Contract Length
- Ease of Information
This VoIP provider offers bundled service with your internet for businesses. However, there is a costly $150 installation fee, early termination fees, and costly outbound calling rate per minute.
The installation fee only makes sense for customers who are bundling the service with their internet or cable.
However, if your business is a member of National Purchasing Partners, you may be eligible for a 25 percent discount.
When working with an internet provider, you are likely to be dealing with lengthy contracts, rather than month-to-month service. The Kinetic Business bundle for broadband and VoIP service is only advertised with a two-year contract.
If you are a small business owner, two years is a long commitment, especially if you are uncertain where your company is going to be two years from now.
While most VoIP solutions are available anywhere in the world, Windstream VoIP’s coverage area is limited, with availability in the following 18 states:
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Ease of Information
It is very hard to find details online about VoIP service and pricing plans for this company. It is not very forthcoming with details on per user monthly rates for using the platform’s communications services. Customers need to get a customized quote to see whether the price will work for their business. The problem with this is that fewer SMBs will pursue Windstream’s VoIP offers without more information.
The Bottom Line
Windstream may be a viable option for existing internet or TV customers or customers looking to purchase bundled service. For anyone else, it isn’t the best option. Other VoIP providers offer cheaper cloud solutions with more calling features.
Enterprise level prices start at $19.95 per user per month with a two-year contract, but we don’t have a viable breakdown on which features are included with that price, and whether there is a per-user, per-number, or per-customer installation fee.
Have you used Windstream VoIP? Leave us a review to share your experience with this provider.
View Best VoIP Providers