magicJack Logo

7.1

magicJack offers VoIP phone service through a phone jack adaptor. This little device gives each customer access to high-quality phone calls and conference calls, with the convenience of it all connected to your cell phone. MagicJack can replace your home phone or be used as a replacement for a business phone service.

Keep reading for pros and cons, plus MagicJack reviews from real users.

View Best VoIP Providers

The Good

• Trial Period
  • Service Options
  • magicJack App
  • Setup
  • Low Prices
  • Free Unlimited Calls to the United States and Canada

Trial Period

magicJack differs from a number of other mainstream VoIP providers because it charges a single price for the device and then offers free service for the first twelve months. After the intro phase, users are free to either continue using the VoIP adapter and renew their service for a low annual price or discontinue and pay nothing aside from the device's original cost. Customers also get a 30-day free trial with their initial purchase. If after the 30 days you decide you don't want it then you can return the device without charge.

Service Options

There are two service options you can choose from magicJackHOME or magicJack for Business.

magicJackHOME The magicJackHOME device will cost $49.99 and your initial purchase includes one free year of unlimited local and long distance calling to the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. This option includes the following:

• caller ID
  • voicemail
  • call forwarding
  • call waiting
  • conference calling
  • calls can be forwarded to your cell phone using the magicApp

magicJack for Business The business plan starts at $75.00 a year per phone line and comes with a free desk phone. With an expansive list of features, some of the main ones include:

• 3-way calling
  • auto attendant
  • call transfer and call waiting
  • caller ID and caller ID blocking
  • conference bridge
  • E911 service
  • online call logs
  • unlimited VoIP service to outgoing calls within the United States and Canada

magicJack PlusmagicJack Plus is a system that gives customer the flexibility to not have to keep their computers on to make calls, which saves consumers money by allowing them to use less electricity.

To install magicJack Plus, all you have to do is first plug it into your computer so you can register it for a magicJack Plus account and a telephone number. Then hook the magicJack plus into the device port to begin making calls.

MagicJack Plus also offers a few free features, such as free long distance and local calls within the United States, free incoming international calls, free call waiting and voicemail services, and a long list of phone numbers available to choose from.

The magicJack Plus solves a lot of the previous problems that were associated with the original magicJack and many of the customers report a better user experience with magicJack Plus, including better call quality. It is important, however, to note that the call quality will largely be impacted by your internet connection.

magicJack App

The magicJack App for iOS and Android is free and allows users to make calls from app-to-app or app-to-jack. With a companion device, incoming calls will appear on home phones, business phones and in the app. When logged into your magicJack account you can easily take your calls on the go and effortlessly switch between your standard phone and mobile devices. Number porting is available, so, with any plan, you can use your existing phone number or generate a new MagicJack number. The magicJack app can be downloaded on an iPhone, Android, or virtually any cell phone with internet capabilities.

Setup

There are two ways to install magicJack with a landline phone set:

• VoIP Phone Setup
  • VoIP Computer Setup

MagicJack offers a relatively seamless installation process. You can either set up your magicJack phone device to your computer or to your router.

To connect your cordless phone to your router:

1. Plug your provided Ethernet cord into the port labeled “INTERNET.”
  2. Plug your phone into the port labeled “PHONE” on your magicJack.
  3. Connect the provided power adapter to your magicJack USB port.
  4. Plug your magicJack into a power outlet.
  5. Select, "click here to register."
  6. Follow the on screen registration process provided.

To connect your cordless phone to your computer:

1. Plug your phone into the port labeled “PHONE” on your magicJack. [OPTIONAL]
  2. Connect the provided USB port extension to your magicJack.
  3. Plug your magicJack into a USB port on your computer.
  4. Press "start magicJack."
  5. Select, "click here to register."
  6. Follow the on screen registration process provided.

Low Prices

After the free period is over, customers can choose to either renew or cancel. To continue using the MagicJack VoIP service there are two renew options; $39.00 for one year or $89.00 for three years. Customers may also use prepaid credits to place international calls starting at $10.00. If you are making a Jack-to-Jack or App-to-App international call, it is completely free. The cost is fairly inexpensive — magicJack's prices are well below most of the other VOIP service providers we have reviewed.

Free Unlimited Calls to the United States and Canada

A major benefit of magicJack service is that users anywhere in the world can make free unlimited calls to anywhere in the United States and Canada. Users can also make free calls between any two magicJack devices.

View Verified magicJack Reviews

The Bad

One of the biggest complaints about magicJack's platform is the lack of person-to-person customer service. In answer to a lack of customer service or tech support for customers, they have a new paid magicJack Concierge service, which includes phone-based customer support and discounted device replacement.

Customers have the option to pay a fee of $11.99 per year, to talk with a customer service representative over a live chat on the magicJack website, or refer to a list of Frequently Asked Questions. This may create additional confusion for users who don't have tech experience or who have unique situations and their question isn't answered on the FAQ page.

The Bottom Line

magicJack offers a low-cost VoIP service for home and business use. This can be attributed to the ease of access with their simple VoIP adapter. While it may not be ideal to attach an adapter to every single phone within a large corporation, it is perfect for residential VoIP locations and small business owners. This is definitely a VoIP provider worth looking into.

View Best VoIP Providers

3.1

Vi999 Mississauga, ON

waste, nightmare, frustration don't even think about it - run they are closing the service in 2021 the WORST VOIP provider. If you want to save money you will waste much more, get frustrated, mad, and regret that you got involved with magicJack. RUN

Keith * Starlift* Albany, NY

The product is good, but customer service is poor. They sent me a brand new item, but when their tech support confirmed it was defective, they refused to help unless I paid to replace it...

Clem Giddlehopper Milford, CT

constantly breaking up, no obvious solution. Rebooted router, cycled power on magic jack plus device, changes ethernet cable, changed phone, changed phone connection.

Ivan C. Turner Richmond, VA

I use my magicjack number on my resume. It saves me from receiving endless calls at the most inopportune times. It goes to voicemail which sends the VM as an attachment email. Also, I give the MJ number to those I don't want to have my cell. If they leave a message, I can choose to call them back. It's worked for me since 2009 with the original MJ ever marketed. I don't know why, but I just updated to the 2020 Magicjack Home that came with a added year of service. For my purposes it's great and worth it. Only thing mucked up is the international calling. Connection quality was poor and I had trouble reaching my party. For that 4 stars. In 10 years, I've called customer service 3. My issue was always solved.

Diane Pfundstein Mocksville, NC

r: I have been trying to get technical support for a problem with my magicJack and I’ve been on hold for well over 30 minutes each time I’ve even waited 60 minutes but the solution they have asked me to go through several times is not working and my number is not working. I hesitate to get on for technical support again when I have to wait so long and have not gotten results each time ..they say I’m fine ..but the number does not work! I had one for years at my other home ..it worked had no problems with set up but reception wasn’t the best for the person on the other side they said I was constantly breaking up.

Rev Bruce Crabtree Martinsburg, WV

It works if nothing goes wrong or if you do not need to talk to the billing dept or other costumer service, you only get costumer DIS-service. If there was a zero option for satisfaction, I would give Zero.

BusinessManager Spring Hope, NC

AVOID using MagicJack for businesses A former employee set up a MagicJack phone, which he used until he left the company. He set it up using his COMPANY email address and paid via COMPANY credit card. Our company is NOT able to cancel this phone number. (We didn’t want a refund. We just wanted to cancel / end this phone number, and MagicJack refused.) They reported that he – former employee -- must cancel it, even though it was a company line set up for company use by a company employee. Very frustrating, and so illogical. After much time on the phone with customer service -- and never able to cancel the line -- I finally learned on my own (by searching the website) how to forward the phone line. Customer Service was nice / pleasant, but unhelpful. She wouldn't even inform me how to forward the calls. It was strange. I suggest avoiding Magic Jack.

A. Perdew Fullerton, CA

If you have ATT Uverse, a word of caution. Once I ported my phone number to MagicJack I could not get my landline (desk phone) to work with MJ. The MJ works great on my iphone and my desktop computer, but it is useless on my home phone. When I ported my phone number to MJ, ATT cancelled my home phone (landline) service. No way can I get MJ to work with my home phone. I thought that was the beauty of MJ. ATT has figured out how to get you on this. I call ATT they want to come to my home to do a NEW install on the home phone for a minimum of $99. Beware if you have ATT. MJ should advise potential customers what will happen if they have ATT or other phone companies that do this. I do get the calls that would have gone to my old landline number on my MJ app on my iphone. So all is not lost, just a major annoyance as my cell service is my home is not strong.

Charles Lendman Cordova, TN

Had it for a year, works great low cost no issues!

Jesse Rice Biloxi, MS

When I was stationed in Iraq magicJack made it possible for me to communicate to my wife and family at home. Its a wonderful product.

Jim G Cumming, GA

Good pricing structure so about 7 years ago set it up as home phone. Quality of Service was not good for depending on a home phone so went to Vonage. They were too expensive so went to Phone.com and that service has been terrific.

DavidBixler Pensacola, FL

Have used magic jack 7.5 years. During those years have had to replace device 2 times. The 1st time it costs $6.95. That was shipping and handling. The last 2nd time was $17 after s/h bill was $30. With those 2 issues to me it is still a good deal. Total cost per $43. If you reboot your router once a month and every few months the device your problems are few. It is worth to try it if you live on retirement $$$$.

Susan Wheatland Fort Myers, FL

I was a Magic Jack customer for 6 years. This year I bought twice the amount of European minutes. But I actually received less than half of what I bought. After filling out numerous forms to actually talk to someone, then eventually tracking someone through sales, Spending 2 hours and 32 minutes waiting,, I was told sorry. We can’t track that,,,, we will have a supervisor call. He did,, the next day but still refusing to address the issue. His words were ,,,, going forward,,, keep a record of what the recording says of how many minutes you have left. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. And of course no recourse. Terrible customer service. And we cannot do anything about it.

TOG112 Fayetteville, AR

I have been a MagicJack user for about 10 yrs. My MagicJack has replaced my landline and I do not have a cell yet. The biggest attraction is the price. Over the years MagicJack service has improved so that now I rate it reasonably good. Installation of the MagicJack is easy and straight-forward. There are many complaints about the MagicJack customer service. I have found the customer service to be satisfactory if you are patient. The price is so cheap ($2.50/month) I feel that this level service is reasonable. When my present contract ends, I may go to a cell, but the MagicJack has put an end to overpriced landline service.

Vic West Palm Beach, FL

MagicJack is OK when it works. But problems are not resolved. Customer service is devastating. Customer service is maddening, torturous, and devastating. You will never hear yes, or we will fix it. No matter what you ask, the answer is always NO. If it stopped working, you lost the service and your money. AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID.

Spencer Morris (Logan) Riverton, UT

Had magic jack for years--- cheap option for exactly what ya need-- been great

JF Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

super value and nearly always on! don't think we are missing calls because we get so many unwanted ones!

James Schulz Sun City, AZ

Very disappointed. Recommended by friend, but I can't say much good beyond price. Frequently the called person can't hear me. Contact is a disaster--chat person had no idea of how of correct problems. Saw multiple complaints on web site about being unable to hear. No response when asked when they would get it repaired.

John Burnside Colorado Springs, CO

Tried out their service a few years ago before I went entirely cellular and it just was not reliable on my system. Couldn't always make calls and setup was finicky. Maybe they improved over time but I have found better technology today.

shan james Tarpon Springs, FL

The majic jack go device is the worst very cheaply made comes apart when taking it out of USB and customer service is horrible

Grant Lofgreen Provo, UT

Absolute best phone service I've had. Unbelievable well priced, works very well. Home integration and set up was painless.

Chuck Willoughby, OH

Have not had any other VOIP provider. Had MG for 7 years. Very few problems. Sometimes voice quality or internet static is an issue, but certainly worth keeping our landline phone #. MG never goes down on their end.

Steven Mount Vernon, WA

Love MJ. Great price, I have used them for 10 years now. In the early days, sometimes there were dropped calls, but the product and service has improved vastly. I upgrade to a direct module, which bypasses the computer and hooks directly into ones modem. This has improved reliability and no dropped calls. My first module died and they replaced it for free. Also they have software, one can load onto their cell phone or iPod touch, and can have phone service anywhere one has a wifi connection, and also allows one unlimited text. The price can't be beat, and there customer service has proved top notch. Voice mail too. Which one can listen on phone or pc.

Gaylord White Atlanta, GA

It works for me and has for the 6 months I have had it

Bob Cardone Norcross, GA

Tried Magic Jack for 4 months and gave up. Had dropped calls from the very beginning, occurring 4-5 minutes into the call. After dozens of contacts to tech support, they finally admitted it was a know issue with units with a serial number starting with A 119. They kept telling me "The vendor is working on it". This went on for months. They refused to replace the unit, and told me that if I wanted to , I could purchase another one, and if I was lucky, it would have a different serial number. If not, I was screwed again. I I finally got fed up, after reading similar complaints on their Facebook page, and purchased an OOMA. Much better unit, reliable, great customer service and no problems with dropped calls.

Teresa Throop Salt Lake City, UT

Magic Jack has been good for us because of the price and quality. There are a few inconveniences with this service but overall the price is great for the quality you get. A dropped call here and there is not a big deal. It doesn't happen often enough to get too worried about.

Dan (BigD) Melvindale, MI

I have had MagicJack since 2008 and my bill is paid until 2020. They used to have a great plan and deal for 5 yrs of service, but in the last couple yrs they only offer a three plan which is a good deal. The 5 yr deal was better but the 3 is ok.. for the 12 yrs of time I paid for it cost me less than $275.oo. The phone works great depending on how you have it set up. I really can not complain in any way about the MagicJack or the service. Any problems i did have were resolved in a timely matter. Their customer service worked for me.

Starski Cene Vienna, VA

Early adopter, things may have changed. Pros: Cost Online voicemails Cons: Use to have to plug the unit into your computer (which would slow down if your computer slowed down) Version 1 of the magic jack plus (that did not require a computer) died within a few weeks of receiving Dealing with customer service was the WORST Ended up canceling the service because of cellphones but also their customer service

Leroy Oliver Clermont, FL

I've had a MagicJack for 6-7 years. It has worked flawlessly throughout. We have had no problem while using it either in Michigan or when I transport it to Florida in the winter time. I really like getting notices in my email that I have messages. I can then play them back on my computer using iTunes.

Garn L. Arnold Alpine, UT

I loved the price but I didn't love the product. But because they price was almost nothing, we kept the product. Particularly since most the time we just use our cellphones. The sound quality wasn't good. Half the time it went down on our side so I had to restart it.

AD Glendale, AZ

works like a charm. I use it for 7 years. Love it.