H&R Block Logo

H&R Block

8.0

H&R Block has offered professional tax services since 1955, giving them over 60 years of experience. H&R Block has served over 550 million clients and have offices within five miles of most American households. It offers a wide variety of tax filing options at different prices and resources to clients. H&R Block also helps clients prepare taxes in one of their many offices or online.

With H&R Block, customers can do online tax filing with software on a computer or through a mobile phone (iOS and Android apps).

H&R Block offers audit support through its Audit Risk Identification feature which boosts the overall value of the software and the Double Check function and ensures total accuracy.

While filing, there are embedded links directly into forms to provide clients insights to learn more and find answers to questions.

In addition, there is a "walk through" workflow and bookmark options for users. A big plus is that an Accuracy Guarantee is included with every product.

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Member Resources
  • Suggested Tax Deductions
  • Customer Support

Guarantees

Every tax return comes with the "H&R Block Guarantee," covering any interest or penalty fees from the IRS. The guarantee also encompasses auditing.

Member Resources

H&R Block provides free in-person audit support for clients, and clients receive a 5 percent bonus refund on top of their federal refund to be used at over 15 retailers. Also, live chat is available for clients to help them with any questions or concerns when filing.

Tax filers who use H&R Block can choose to receive their tax return as a direct deposit to their bank account, which makes it especially easy and convenient.

Suggested Tax Deductions

Standard Deductions The standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount that reduces the income you're taxed on. Your standard deduction varies according to your filing status. In 2014, the standard deduction was:

• For single or married filing separately -- $6,200
  • For married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) -- $12,400
  • For head of household -- $9,100

Itemized Deductions Itemized deductions also reduce your taxable income. Ex: If you're in the 15% tax bracket, every $1,000 in itemized deductions knocks $150 off of your tax bill. You might benefit from itemizing your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A if you:

• Have itemized deductions that total more than the standard deduction you'd receive
  • Had large, uninsured medical and dental expenses
  • Paid mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your home
  • Had large, unreimbursed expenses as an employee
  • Had a large, uninsured casualty (fire, flood, wind) or theft losses
  • Made large contributions to qualified charities
  • Had large, unreimbursed miscellaneous expenses

Customer Support

H&R Block offers a number of ways to get in touch with them:

• By phone: 1-800-472-5625
  • Twitter: @HRBlockAnswers
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

The Bad

• Supported Forms
  • Most Popular Version Prices

Supported Forms

For basic tax preparation, H&R Block offers 1040, 1040a, 1040ez. These tax forms are standard for filing taxes if individuals are employed in full or part-time jobs.

For those who are self-employed, H&R Block offers a Schedule C. The Schedule C is a form used for people to report how much money they earned or lost from their business during the fiscal year.

To report on multiple owned properties, H&R Block offers a Schedule E. The Schedule E allows individuals to report how much money they earned or lost from renting their properties during the fiscal year.

Most Popular Version Prices

Federal

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. This option has a fee of $34.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option's fee is $36.99

State

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. The fee is $54.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option costs $36.99

The Bottom Line

Tax season is when taxpayers receive the money they overpaid in taxes as a tax refund. Whether someone is filing a very simple set of tax returns or relatively complicated ones, this software is likely to provide the tools needed. Using an online tax filing software is cheaper than paying a tax preparer to do the work for you.

The filing process can be confusing, and getting it done correctly is important. Online tax filing software is a great resource for filers preparing their own taxes.

H&R Block puts direct links into online forms, giving clients insights into their questions during the application process. In addition, clients are walked through the online tax preparation filing process and are provided with several guarantees to provide peace of mind.

However, the H&R Block tax prep software doesn't automatically offer suggested deductions, which can make a big difference in what your tax return looks like.

H&R Block has expanded its free tax software include more complicated forms. If your tax situation isn't too complicated, you may be able to do a free file with H&R Block. Overall, H&R Block has several great features and is a good choice for tax prep.

3.5

MindyV Lubbock, TX

I love H&R Block!!!! I have done my taxes with H&R Block for many years and it's always been great. It's really easy to do my taxes on their website and I feel that I can trust them. Plus they keep my information from the previous year, which helps as well.

peter harmatuk Poolesville, MD

I have been using H&R Black at home software for my taxes for at least 40 years as they merged with "managing your money", which was an older DOS program....I like their product interface as it takes me by the hand and walks me through the jungle of tax returns. I have NEVER detected an error in returns submitted using H&R Block at home

AmandaWindsor Toronto, ON

Quick and easy to use. This is the second year in a row I have used this service to complete my husband's and mine tax returns

Anna Brown Lubbock, TX

I finished my taxes & paid online. Next was schedule my payment. Texas was granted two extra months until 6/15/2021. HR Block has not updated program to reflect that nor put any notice they intend to. I spent all afternoon trying every option available including wait 50 minutes which I was happy to do only to be told she didn’t understand anything I was saying. Lived in Ft Worth Tx. Asked to be transferred which she nicely did ....to a recording that said we’re closed. I can’t start over with a company that has updated software. Block has my money. Bad experience and although I chose May to pay my taxes I can’t. Called local office. She wasn’t aware of extension either so she called her regional manager who advised I wait until 4/15/2021 and then the extended dates would appear. Really?? Find another company if you are in Texas and need to schedule a payment past 4/15/21.

SAZ Hutchinson, MN

I used the free to Veterans Premier Tax program. The federal taxes worked well but the Minnesota State tax program was flawed. Military pensions are not taxable in MN. The program did not allow for a deduction of the pension amounts. I chose the online chat option to address this issue and after an input of questions the individual on the other end shut off the chat. I tried again and the next individual had no clue about the problem and wanted me to pay extra money for tax advice. I declined and she gave 2 phone numbers to call. After 40 min on hold the next person had no idea what I was talking about and shifted me off to someone else. After another hold of 50 min the second person put me on hold to check into the situation and said it was a problem with the website that had facilitated the Free to Veterans program. This was ridiculous because it is the H & R Block Premium product. I told her there was a previously reported bug in the MN tax program and wanted to alert the creators so that a work around could be done and I could accurately complete my taxes. She argued with me and told me she was going to connect me with someone else. This was going to be another 50 min hold and I decided it wasn't worth it and hung up. So after spending over 3 hours trying to get a resolution I deleted my MN return and filed my Federal return. In a previous year I purchased and downloaded a tax program from them and needed to call for assistance. Their telephone helpline kept sending me around in a circle and finally kicking me out. Their customer service support lines are unhelpful and frustrating. Their product is not quality controlled. I will not be using their services again.

Peter Harmatuk Columbia, MD

H&R Block has easy to use tax software that guides you through every step of submitting your taxes. They have a lot of good help resources including videos to explain your taxes and changes to the tax code and laws.

Steven Klaproth Show Low, AZ

This company has been the flagship of tax preparation companies for decades. They have changed from in-person visits to internet software which makes tax prep easy and without missing out on deductions.

brandon wilkins West Valley City, UT

I’ve used them for several years. They used to send out a disc through the mail with a discount. They need more options depending on what kind of help you need. Strongly considering other options with how much it cost me to prepare and exile last year.

murfday College Station, TX

Great free option for taxes. I have been using H&R Block for at least 12 years. I appreciate that there is a free option-which I have used. For a reasonable fee, it can save your info from year to year. I just don’t mind putting it in again.

Jared Provo, UT

I used H&R Block to file my taxes one year (they did a free promotion). It was the best experience I've had filing taxes! Very simple user interface and very clear process. I don't think I would pay for it unless it were a good price, but that's more because of my spending habits than it is about their product.

Cheyenne Stewart Knoxville, TN

Very friendly company. Some of the representatives seemed to need more training. They didn't handle personal paperwork as they should have.

Tiffany I Gaithersburg, MD

I always use H&R online for my taxes . It keeps all of my info and transfers from year to year. Super easy to use and there are guides every step of the way.

Mike Curtis Guyton, GA

I used TaxAct for six years. It is a good product but priced itself out of my market. I originally used TurboTax but the same thing happened there. Now I’m back to TurboTax because it is now less expensive! I’ve used TaxAct, TaxCut, and H&R Block software. All have similar features but TurboTax gives me more for my $.

Teri M. Logan, UT

I like that I can easily enter my info and H& R block will alert me with any potential problems. I have set up an account and my previous years are already there so I can compare between years. H& R Block usually sends me a discount each year as well for being a repeat customer. I haven't had to contact them for problems so I can't assess any customer service interaction. I can also easily have them prepare the state forms with just a few more questions. It has been an additional $37, but I like the ease it provides.

Dave_ Layton, UT

I am happy with the software as it had accurate calculations of my taxes and is easy to use. I used this software several years in the past and only switched to a different one since my employer subsidized the other product. I was happy with the product and my father has been using it for the past 15 years after switching from the other product as he prefers H&R Block.

Linda Hogan San Diego, CA

I am a 73 year, which is not OLD, but if you combine that with my attention deficit disorder disorder (ADD) I do find it more difficult to do things like my taxes. This year my advisor Mari F called and set up a way for me to take picture of all my documents and send them to her. Then she completed my taxes she sent a notice for me to accept my taxes. Here is where the problem lies! In the process of setting up my account I had to put in an ID name and password. In reentering this information I put an extra dot in my user name a proceeded to change my password. As often as I looked at it I missed the extra dot.. Mary called H&R tech department where a tech rep. could see where I had made the mistake. Mari spent at least a couple of hours helping me figure out why I could not accept my taxes. I call this going above and beyond. Most important for me is that with her knowledge and integrity I trust that I am getting everything I am entitled too.

Frances Harmatuk Baltimore, MD

I download and use the tax preparation software each year. It's easy to use and I like that I can import my returns from the previous year

Dave Marlowe American Fork, UT

Are used H&R Block to file my taxes for many years I find it is detailed and ask questions and get the most for my tax prep dollars

Landon Pliler Orem, UT

They made doing our taxes last year easy and cheap. They helped us get the biggest return possible. Way more than expected. We’ll definitely use them again.

Phil Carriere Cambridge, IA

I have always gone to H&R Block because of their reliability and track record. The many different people that I have had as preparers have always been knowledgeable and considerate.. There has never been a problem with any of my returns and the preparers have always answered any questions I have ever had.

Randy Mckirgan Chicago, IL

I've used them almost all my working life all the way up until 2 years ago they missed my taxes up so bad I had to travel from Michigan to Georgia two or three different times all because of an error on their part something that shouldn't have even happened almost cause me to miss the tax deadline along with penalty fees and everything so I decided not to use them anymore

Alexandra St. Amant Loganville, GA

I used their online tax services and have gone into the office for assistance and they are always helpful. The online system is easy to use for even the most tax challenged individuals. And the email and app notifications kept me posted on the status of my returns so I didn’t have to contact them for updates.

Jeanne Baker New Boston, TX

My husband and i tried Turbo Tax at the recommendation of a friend. This program determined that we owed 5k. We were skeptical and brought our taxes to H&R Block who determined that we actually were owed roughly the same amount. We have used H&R Block since that time. Our tax professional, Joann H in New Boston, TX is a consummate professional and has solved very unusual and difficult tax issues for us. She is a truly caring person who clearly takes pride in her work and easily navigates any research necessary to serve her clients. We have complete confidence in her.

Crissann Irwin, PA

I have worked for H&R Block for 15 tax seasons and have held many hats over the years. The best thing that has happened is the company launching the Blockworks program this past tax season. It is the most user friendly program I have ever used. My TP's and I used the program 100% this tax season. Goodbye to TPS. A much needed change with the times.

Darla McBride Gutshall Lexington, NC

I was a client starting in 2002 when I first moved to N.C. from F.L. & had never had to file a state tax return. I added a spouse in 2003 & a baby in 2004. My tax pro was vert informative & remembered me year after year. In 2008, I started working in a franchise office as a client service rep. Now, I'm still a client service rep but, I'm also tax preparer & an office coordinator. I love interacting w/ my clients & I couldn't ask for a better boss. To me, the value is phenomenal. Year round service, pros who know their tax laws & go above & beyond to make you feel like you're family; not just a number!

Joe Ebbing Thonotosassa, FL

Enjoyed 21 years as a District Mansger on both the franchise side and company side of the business . Customer satisfaction was always the prime concern. Retired in 2012 and returned as a seasonal tax professional this past tax season. I am looking forward to working with many clients in the years to come as a seasonal associate with HRBlock. Block provides a high quality of continuing education and rewards associates as they earn higher levels of tax knowledge certification.

Karli American Fork, UT

They’re really helpful in explaining why things are a certain way and helping us navigate the tax process. Great experience.

Alexis Hirschi Idaho Falls, ID

I've only used them once but it was when I messed up on my taxes and I went in and they speedily helped me figure it all out.

Gonzalez Carmichael, CA

The office I went to was very helpful. My agent was super nice and helpful. She explain it all with detail, she answered all my questions. Overall service was great but the price for simple form ouch! Its free online? Its good if you're new and have questions or have a large form.

amycray Bangor, ME

used it a lot of years ago - seemed expensive at the time

Paris Salt Lake City, UT

My husband and I use H&R Block every year for our taxes. We are in College and it is very simple to follow. We love it and will continue to use them every year!

Danielle DeMarco Kent, OH

A good service for tax prep, although the fees are a bit high.

Luke Smith Parkville, MD

Easy to schedule with my favorite tax professional. Been using them for 5 years now. Originally went to them after another accountant messed some things up and H&R Block got it all fixed up with minimal effort from me.

Hannah Denver, CO

I love the ease that this service has provided me when doing my own taxes. As a young adult, I found that this website provided me with much direction to accomplish the goal of what I needed. The only thing I do not like is the frequency of emails that come to me from using this service, It can be very repetitive and overbearing.

Jennifer Alonso Asbury Park, NJ

We’ve been using HR Block for over 6 years and our tax professional Jim H is patient, knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. He gives great advice to help ensure that we never run into unexpected tax problems every year.

Francis Soyer Issaquah, WA

We have been doing business with H & R for the better part of 15 years-8 years in the Bellevue WA location where we reside now. I guess the biggest reason for the 4 star rating instead of 5 is because of inconsistency. Our tax person is super nice and very intelligent but I think that perhaps a bit overwhelmed!? That office stays quite busy!

Tiffany Baines Akron, OH

Great service, but extensive! Went and our appointment took much longer than anticipated, but the computer was running slow due to being the first day the electronically filed taxes went through in the system. They were very apologetic and have us the best possible refund option and was helpful in answering questions we didn't understand, explained a lot and made the process easier and less stressful!

Eddie Rios Ogden, UT

H&R Block is a solid foundation for tax prep assistance. It offers a wide variety of services, from simple to complex. They can handle all of your tax issues and can answer tons of questions. They are professional and accurate. They can be trusted to help with your taxes.

Susan D Walled Lake, MI

I came in very nervous and was put at ease within literally minutes by my Master Tax Advisor, Chrysia. She was so professional and helpful; she was able to show me tools and goals that put me at ease. I made my appointment for next year with her! Thank you!

Kay Conway, SC

The people who work there are very nice. I, like so many here, agree they are way too expensive. I paid $530 this year, the most I have ever paid to do my taxes and she gave me a $40 discount so it would have been $570! I was there an hour so who makes that kind of money for an hours worth of work for you, a doctor, a lawyer for an hours worth of time at a computer?! Go somewhere else if you can. I wish now that I had. They take advantage knowing that you have to do this. Nothing against the person filling out the forms, she is nice. I know that she doesn’t make the prices. I bet the profits for H and R Block are in the billions for their CEO and shareholders.

Nandita Tonse

This is a very nice website to help new tax filers. They have helped me file my ITR. Also they give guidelines about how to do it and help me understand the term. Each person i given a tax expert, who is available throughout the time to help. Highly recommended

tamara barnes Waterloo, IA

I have been with H&R for more than 10 years.. I have one very special preparer that does my taxes nearly every year. When she is not available we are confident in whomever we get. We get in and get out quickly and ALL staff members are friendly and helpful!!! We will continue to use H&R Block for years to come!!! Keep up the great work!!

Linda New Lexington, OH

I have worked for H&R Block for almost 10 years and, although it's not always perfect, we have the best knowledge, training, software and people! It is a fun place to work and there are lots of opportunities for advancement. Being a seasonal company can cause problems, but at least our doors are open year round to serve our clients. I hope to continue to work for HRB for a very long time!

Carol Goldsboro, NC

I have worked for H&R Block for 30 years. I look forward to training every year. We have to take advance tax classes every year to increase our tax knowledge and to be able to help our clients with their particular tax situation. I love working for H&R Block and I would never consider leaving.

Susie TX

Been with company 20 plus years. One of the Best. I have worked for Fortune 500 companies and Block has them beat. You are always taking classes on tax theory and there is always someone to research questions. And WE Do Audit Assistance and Representation.

Michelle Rios Ogden, UT

It has been a few years since we have used H&R Block, but I can tell you that the service that they provided was great. We were able to work with an agent that was knowledgeable and efficient, with our taxes completed in just a few days. The cost was reasonable for the piece of mind offered. We would probably still use them, except that my husband got his degree in accounting. We appreciate your service H&R Block!

kristin Gneiting Pleasant Grove, UT

I have used H&R Block many times and every time they are very knowledgable and helpful in doing my taxes. They helped me through every step of the way, and it was good to be able to talk with someone instead of a computer. I felt like they gave me all the options I needed and made the best out of what isn't fun at all and that is taxes. In the end they gave me options to file on line or send it in myself and they also gave me the option of getting my refund sooner through them.

Sarah Ava Salt Lake City, UT

We’ve used H&R Block’s online filing for the past two years and would definitely recommend it. The program takes you through your taxes step by step and has someone available if you have any questions or concerns. Simple and convenient, even when your taxes are complicated and not as straightforward. The price we paid is hundreds less than we paid a CPA to file for us in the past, so it’s well worth the savings.

Amy Gardiner Germantown, MD

My business and personal taxes couldn't be easier!! I don't have to worry that my return is wrong!

Ted Rock Island, IL

The ease of using the product is great. I like that each year I can import the previous years data. What a time saving feature that is.