H&R Block has offered professional tax services since 1955, giving them over 60 years of experience. H&R Block has served over 550 million clients and have offices within five miles of most American households. It offers a wide variety of tax filing options at different prices and resources to clients. H&R Block also helps clients prepare taxes in one of their many offices or online.

With H&R Block, customers can do online tax filing with software on a computer or through a mobile phone (iOS and Android apps).

H&R Block offers audit support through its Audit Risk Identification feature which boosts the overall value of the software and the Double Check function and ensures total accuracy.

While filing, there are embedded links directly into forms to provide clients insights to learn more and find answers to questions.

In addition, there is a "walk through" workflow and bookmark options for users. A big plus is that an Accuracy Guarantee is included with every product.

The Good

• Guarantees
  • Member Resources
  • Suggested Tax Deductions
  • Customer Support

Guarantees

Every tax return comes with the "H&R Block Guarantee," covering any interest or penalty fees from the IRS. The guarantee also encompasses auditing.

Member Resources

H&R Block provides free in-person audit support for clients, and clients receive a 5 percent bonus refund on top of their federal refund to be used at over 15 retailers. Also, live chat is available for clients to help them with any questions or concerns when filing.

Tax filers who use H&R Block can choose to receive their tax return as a direct deposit to their bank account, which makes it especially easy and convenient.

Suggested Tax Deductions

Standard Deductions The standard deduction is a fixed dollar amount that reduces the income you're taxed on. Your standard deduction varies according to your filing status. In 2014, the standard deduction was:

• For single or married filing separately -- $6,200
  • For married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er) -- $12,400
  • For head of household -- $9,100

Itemized Deductions Itemized deductions also reduce your taxable income. Ex: If you're in the 15% tax bracket, every $1,000 in itemized deductions knocks $150 off of your tax bill. You might benefit from itemizing your deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A if you:

• Have itemized deductions that total more than the standard deduction you'd receive
  • Had large, uninsured medical and dental expenses
  • Paid mortgage interest and real estate taxes on your home
  • Had large, unreimbursed expenses as an employee
  • Had a large, uninsured casualty (fire, flood, wind) or theft losses
  • Made large contributions to qualified charities
  • Had large, unreimbursed miscellaneous expenses

Customer Support

H&R Block offers a number of ways to get in touch with them:

• By phone: 1-800-472-5625
  • Twitter: @HRBlockAnswers
  • Live Chat: Live support is offered in programs to paying customers.

The Bad

• Supported Forms
  • Most Popular Version Prices

Supported Forms

For basic tax preparation, H&R Block offers 1040, 1040a, 1040ez. These tax forms are standard for filing taxes if individuals are employed in full or part-time jobs.

For those who are self-employed, H&R Block offers a Schedule C. The Schedule C is a form used for people to report how much money they earned or lost from their business during the fiscal year.

To report on multiple owned properties, H&R Block offers a Schedule E. The Schedule E allows individuals to report how much money they earned or lost from renting their properties during the fiscal year.

Most Popular Version Prices

Federal

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. This option has a fee of $34.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option's fee is $36.99

State

• H&R Block Deluxe - The best way to go for homeowners or investors. The fee is $54.99
  • H&R Block Premium - The best way to go for self-employed or rental property owners. This option costs $36.99

The Bottom Line

Tax season is when taxpayers receive the money they overpaid in taxes as a tax refund. Whether someone is filing a very simple set of tax returns or relatively complicated ones, this software is likely to provide the tools needed. Using an online tax filing software is cheaper than paying a tax preparer to do the work for you.

The filing process can be confusing, and getting it done correctly is important. Online tax filing software is a great resource for filers preparing their own taxes.

H&R Block puts direct links into online forms, giving clients insights into their questions during the application process. In addition, clients are walked through the online tax preparation filing process and are provided with several guarantees to provide peace of mind.

However, the H&R Block tax prep software doesn't automatically offer suggested deductions, which can make a big difference in what your tax return looks like.

H&R Block has expanded its free tax software include more complicated forms. If your tax situation isn't too complicated, you may be able to do a free file with H&R Block. Overall, H&R Block has several great features and is a good choice for tax prep.

3.3

cmill009

August 2nd, 2020 Destin, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Switched to from TurboTax and found H&R block to be more user friendly. I loved how quick and easy filing was and the live chat agents were very helpful.

Linda Hogan

April 24th, 2020 San Diego, CA

I am a 73 year, which is not OLD, but if you combine that with my attention deficit disorder disorder (ADD) I do find it more difficult to do things like my taxes. This year my advisor Mari F called and set up a way for me to take picture of all my documents and send them to her. Then she completed my taxes she sent a notice for me to accept my taxes. Here is where the problem lies! In the process of setting up my account I had to put in an ID name and password. In reentering this information I put an extra dot in my user name a proceeded to change my password. As often as I looked at it I missed the extra dot.. Mary called H&R tech department where a tech rep. could see where I had made the mistake. Mari spent at least a couple of hours helping me figure out why I could not accept my taxes. I call this going above and beyond. Most important for me is that with her knowledge and integrity I trust that I am getting everything I am entitled too.

Kerry

April 17th, 2020 Lincoln, NE DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Valerie was extremely helpful to me and very nice. Go there every year for my taxes & I will continue to do so! Thanks Valerie!!

John

April 15th, 2020 Austin, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Oh and on another note if you see good reviews on [email protected] block it's more than likely the employees or their family members writing them to make [email protected] block look good so if you good reviews just know I know how it works when I've worked at companies they make new emails just to leave good reviews [email protected] block is horrible!!!!!!! Their emerald card screwed me over I have no money at all and will have to wait on a stimulus check in the mail all because I used that stupid emerald card with a refund transfer

Alireza Ousati Ashtiani

April 3rd, 2020 Madison, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

absolute garbage service, avoid them at any cost! I was assigned a so called tax pro from Florida, to do my tax, and I reside in Wisconsin! go figure. The so called tax pro, Richard E, was a rude and ill-informed tax prep. person. Then after he could not do his job, I asked to be re-assigned to someone else. then horror story just began. long story short, I spend 5-6 hours on the phone throughout a span of a week, talking to people from all over the globe, and my issue was not resolved. I finally gave up. I will never do tax return with them, and will not recommend anyone do, avoid them at ANY COST!

cindy petrosino

April 2nd, 2020 Parlin, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Scammers! Do NOT USE HR BLOCK! WON'T HELP ABOUT MY TAXES? Regional manager, Cliffwood NJ office, Laura M, got very nasty to me? She IS A JERKFACE! I did a complaint with BBB! I paid $212.95 for what? A headache? I am NOT HAPPY! 100% GUARANTEED? BS!

Karina Aguilar

March 18th, 2020 Managua, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

h&r block charges way more than other taxes companies and provided me the same service

Brad Deckert

March 11th, 2020 Wheaton, IL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! The international team are essentially high school students who have no problem making mistakes which cost my family over 9K. Now I have to go back and refile. Again, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! PS: I was warned by a CPA NOT to work with this company, I learned my lesson the hard way, don't make my mistake!

Kristi LAXTON

March 10th, 2020 DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I'd give them no stars if could. They Screwed up and put all of refund on Amazon gift and wont reverse it. Cant pay rent with gift card.

MaryAnn Hagblom

March 9th, 2020 West Jordan, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Their employees really know the tax system. And make sure you get all the tax breaks that you need and deserve.

Tiffany Baines

March 6th, 2020 Akron, OH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great service, but extensive! Went and our appointment took much longer than anticipated, but the computer was running slow due to being the first day the electronically filed taxes went through in the system. They were very apologetic and have us the best possible refund option and was helpful in answering questions we didn't understand, explained a lot and made the process easier and less stressful!

Lizabeth Augustine

March 5th, 2020 Holmdel, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Have been using service for about 5 years. Intelligent and friendly staff. Always willing to help. Excellent experience. Recommend to others.

Haley

March 5th, 2020 Tallahassee, FL

They’re great and affordable unless you’re impacted by their site wide crash and it removes all of your progress.

Gerralynn loder

March 4th, 2020 Mays Landing, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I will NEVER again go to H&R block, they claim to have up front pricing but they definitely don't!. I was told I would be charged anything from my tax professional due to the fact that I have no dependents and nothing to claim. After my taxes were deposited they took over 150 of my 300 dollars return I called them on feburary 3rd they admitted that I wasn't informed of the price and they would reimburse me the money they took well that STILL hasn't happened. Everytime I call they tell me my case is resolved when it most definitely isn't since I haven't gotten my reimbursement! No matter who I call they tell me they will have someone contact me BUT NO ONE DOES ! IVE BEEN A CLIENT FOR OVER 5 YEARS I WILL NEVER STEP FOOT INTO AN H&R BLOCK OFFICE AGAIN! It's really sad that they made the mistake but they dont care my case just keeps getting ignored

merlin

March 3rd, 2020 Albuquerque, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I am never using them again. I used them for a few years. their software didn't submit a form it should have and got audited for it, they replied that they weren't going to help because it wasn't their fault. we got an accountant to redo the taxes and actually got money back. DO NOT USE HR BLOCK...

Mike Ika

February 28th, 2020 West Valley City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used H&R Block the first time we itemized our deductions. It was nice letting someone else do our taxes, but it was more expensive than I liked. I did like that there was a guarantee, but ultimately the price is what led me to go with an independent CPA.

take7

February 27th, 2020 Sandy, UT

Not my favorite and cost me more. They say they're very helpful but it took too long to get the help I needed versus other tax filing resources.

wolfgang rothen

February 26th, 2020 Pine City, MN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Terrible download support & service. I spent 6 hrs. unsuccessfully trying to download the software, went through numerous hoops with tech support, received a case number and never received a call back. Then went to turbo tax and had everything up and running in less than an hour. Go figure.

David T

February 23rd, 2020 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I used H&R Block one time, but I found for the price that they weren’t any more creative or helped me save money more than software programs did.

JDWain

February 22nd, 2020 Tallahassee, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Used H&R Block last year and this year I used turbotax. I found turbotax's format easier to use and understand however H&R got the job done just fine

Michelle Rios

February 22nd, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

It has been a few years since we have used H&R Block, but I can tell you that the service that they provided was great. We were able to work with an agent that was knowledgeable and efficient, with our taxes completed in just a few days. The cost was reasonable for the piece of mind offered. We would probably still use them, except that my husband got his degree in accounting. We appreciate your service H&R Block!

Kaitlyn Rios

February 21st, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block is a trustworthy tax service for personal tax preparation. I used them and was happy with the work, the returns, and the low cost. Highly recommended!

Erin Glendening

February 21st, 2020 Slidell, LA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Employees are well trained, and always know how to help.

Shellie

February 20th, 2020 Sparks, NV DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R is the worst very unprofessional Still waiting for my refund its been 24 days Said it would be 21 days now they say it will be here the 24th of February. Charged 152.00 for what? My fault should have done it for free on TurboTax and waited the same amount of time!

Silvia Lobendahn

February 17th, 2020 Orem, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have personally used H&R block for over 10 years and I think that it's easy to use. It also you to feel comfortable by having an H&R agent check over your work so you feel 100% sure of your return. I have enjoyed using this product from home to complete my tax returns.

Lindsey Newman

February 13th, 2020 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have used H&R Block for years to do our taxes and it really is so user friendly. But a couple of years ago after we had gone through and checked everything, it didn't flag that we had used our alotted number of student academic benefit deductions and we were later (years later) taxed heavily for that. Since then we've been far more wary of using the program.

Erika Douglas

February 8th, 2020 Cedar Fort, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block is fabulous for our military family. Not only is the cost exactly what we need, but they always have help.

sam vawdrey

February 7th, 2020 Sandy, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Do all my taxes on line! Super easy and free. It’s easy to understand and doesn’t take much time

Eddie Rios

February 6th, 2020 Ogden, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block is a solid foundation for tax prep assistance. It offers a wide variety of services, from simple to complex. They can handle all of your tax issues and can answer tons of questions. They are professional and accurate. They can be trusted to help with your taxes.

A

February 5th, 2020 Greenville, SC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Went to the Berea, SC H&R office. Receptionist was angry, abrupt, confused, and overwhelmed, which made me doubt whether she could/would handle correctly or securely my information, so I went elsewhere.

Victoria

February 4th, 2020 Brooklyn, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block is not what they advertise to be. I had used them for 4 years in a row and all seemed to be fine. Then all of the sudden I received an audit by the IRS for 2014 & 2015 telling me I owed them $60k +. I figured okay, I purchased the peace of mind so I can just call them and /or go to their office and they should provide me with the professional and legal assistance I would need to go through the audit. Guess what, they never ever bother to respond to my calls. Then when I went to their offices and spoke to a higher up, a woman told me that she would get back to me with help. I went there 3 times and not a single time did they ever provide any assistance with the audit. So I hired a tax attorney and spent $30k and missed a court date while waiting around for H&R Block to get back to me. End result I learned that their accountants are not up to date on their tax laws at all. They messed up my itemizations completely costing me back taxes, penalties and interest. Not one time did offer to help nor reimburse me for my legal expenses. H&R Block is a fraud! They do not honor their work nor their peace of minds at all. And they charged me $2000 each year for my tax return preparation. Go to someone reputable not these deceptive people.

Beverly Schacher

February 4th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used to use H&R Block when my husband was self employed, recently retired. We actually used the same tax preparer for several years and were very satisfied with his knowledge and experience. It was a little expensive but well worth the peace of mind that we were getting the most deductions allowable while keeping within the laws.

Robert

January 29th, 2020 Somerset, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Courteous, however is not clear on current tax laws and don't explain the process and stipulation on the ral. Don't think you are going to get the loan, the odds are if you need it, you won't get it. If you claimed eic you are going to wait at least 6 weeks which they will not tell you. Basically educate yourself because they don't tell you what you need to know, they tell you what you want to hear and leave you disappointed.

Jesse Rice

January 28th, 2020 Biloxi, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block has been my go to tax prep service for more than 20 years. Fast and accurate. I'm always impressed with what H&R Block tax prep services.

Dylan Rhodes

January 27th, 2020 Fillmore, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is the only tax refund generator I have ever used. It was easy enough that I’ve gone back and used it every year since the first. Overall I feel like it gets the job done.

Amber Colleen

January 22nd, 2020 Denver, CO DETAILS arrow_drop_down

THEY SCREWED ME! I had received a letter of deficiency from the IRS was that out of my 3 w-4s, one was put in twice and another not at all! 3,000$ deficit was what my letter said, went to HR Block to resolve my deficiency since THEY PUT IT IN WRONG. They are unwilling to pay for their 3000$ mistake! 2017, I sacrificed a weeks food to pay to get it done professionally, because I was working 3 jobs and didn’t want to mess it up. I did not pay for the extra protection fee (because I couldn’t afford to get it done professionally to begin with) and now I have to pay for the deficit and H&at will not. NOT RECOMMENDED. BAD COMPANY. This is the original location of the place not willing to solve THEIR MISTAKE.

Violet Acosta Stewart

January 19th, 2020 Marietta, GA

I have tried to use this company a few times and either the person behind the desk seemed sketchy. Or the price was obscene. One time they wanted half of the return and it was the EZ form.

Sheila

January 16th, 2020 Taos, NM DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I wish I could do zero for sneaky practice I am a single parent of two already struggling so when I saw the $3500 refund advance option I thought great I can definitely do this because I received over $3000 back every year. The first catch is you have to go in and actually have a prepare person do your filing, ok no problem How much could that be I usually do my own taxes because that’s how simple they are, I thought $100 max it ended up being $400 for 15 minutes of work again that I could have done for free and again a single parent already struggling but fine if I get a chance to get some funds early perfect, taxes done I should know with in an hour if approved and it will be loaded on a bank card great. Again no where did I see the print stating you had to have good credit otherwise you won’t get approved. Also my prep person. NEVER mentioned that or the cost up front. In the end I did not get approved due to some missed payments t so my credit score took a hit but if I had known the additional qualifications upfront I would have NEVER spent half my rent payment to a company that took 15 minutes to help me. VERY DISAPPOINTED

Mickey Mangum

January 15th, 2020 Long Beach, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I once used HR block for tax prep. The preparer was great, professional and my taxes were filed efficiently.

Michelle W

December 16th, 2019 Coraopolis, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have taken the class in the past. Informative for the basic returns. I do like using the website to file.

Amanda

December 4th, 2019 Warrendale, PA

H & R Block makes doing your taxes a lot easier than trying to do them on your own!

Tom Gourley

November 28th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We used H & R Block services when our filing was fairly simple and straightforward. We found their services very fairly priced and the instructions easy to follow. We didn't need to use their customer service because the on-line instructions were easy to follow.

Amanda Purpura

November 15th, 2019 Gibsonia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They charge a TON of money to do taxes. My husband and I were paying hundreds and hundreds of dollars each year until we found a small family-owned firm that charged a fraction of the cost. We also had a year where our taxes were done incorrectly and we needed to quickly address the issue.

Tony

November 11th, 2019 Riverton, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Tried this for the first time and it's not as user-friendly as I hoped when it comes to getting started. Once going, things smoothed out and it seemed pretty decent.

Jon Scoresby

October 10th, 2019 Saratoga Springs, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The services provided are good. I have been able to meet with professionals to get the work done. They seem to know their stuff. The one downside was the cost. It started out reasonable but over the years it has gotten more and more expensive.

Sarah Watters

October 5th, 2019 Quinlan, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I like that they guarantee that they'll get you the maximum refund and that you can go into a local office to see someone in person even if you did your taxes online using their tax software. Always satisfied.

Amy Boren

October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We did this one year before we had a company tax from to file as well. If your finances are simple they are great. We have an accountant now who prepares our taxes.

Don Boren

October 4th, 2019 American Fork, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

If your taxed aren't very complex, they provide decent service. If your taxes are complex with more deductions, etc...you are probably better off going to a CPA.

Ted Johnson

September 22nd, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I have used H&R Block in the past and they are very convenient and quick. The people are very knowlegable and can walk me through everything and let me know what to expect.

Helen Macfarlane

September 18th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

H&R Block has been a lifesaver for us each year! Easy to use, great customer service, and helpful hints.