SunBug Solar

SunBug Solar Logo

SunBug Solar

This company offers solar solutions to residents of Massachusetts

SunBug Solar was founded in 2009, is located in Massachusetts and they have installed over 10MW of photovoltaics statewide. SunBug offers solar services to homeowners, business owners and non-profits of all sizes. And they believe that reliability, honesty and integrity are at the core of all successful, long-term relationships. Additionally, they are proud to have earned the coveted Angie's List Super Service Award for four years running, which lends credence to their motto of reliability, honesty and integrity.

The Good

• Current on the Latest Technology and Regulations
  • Impressive List of Partners
  • Net Metering Allowed
  • Outstanding Warranty
  • System Monitoring

Current on the Latest Technology and Regulations

SunBug prides itself in keeping abreast of the state's net metering policies and the implementation of incentive programs offered through the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC) & Department of Energy Resources (DOER), as well as the upcoming legislation for the Green Communities Act. This means that going solar in Massachusetts is now a very viable option for many people.

Impressive List of Partners

A great company is made even greater when partnering with other reputable industry leaders. SunBug Solar is proud to have partnered with Amicus Solar Cooperative, Sunpower Corp., Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MassCEC), Massachusetts Department of Energy Resources (DOER), which is an agency within the Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs (EEA), SRECTrade, which is a leading solar renewable energy credit management and transaction platform, Sungage Financial and New England Solar Hot Water, which offers solar hot water systems.

Net Metering Allowed

Net metering is not allowed in all states, but it is in Massachusetts. Net metering works like this: during the day when your system is producing more energy than you use, it sends electricity back to your utility company by spinning the meter backwards. Then at night or during other no-sun events, when you're using more electricity than you're producing, the meter spins forward. At the end of the month, you are only charged the net difference, which oftentimes results in savings.

Outstanding Warranty

SunBug Solar offers a 10-year installation warranty, a 10- to 25-year panel manufacturer product warranty, a 25-year panel manufacturer output warranty and a 10- to 25- year inverter manufacturer warranty.

System Monitoring

SunBug Solar provides system monitoring via an online dashboard that's tied to SunBug's own tracking system as well, which provides you with your system's production, production history, performance tracking, and depending on the system that was installed, you might also have component level data as well. Additionally, if your system ever encounters a problem, SunBug's monitoring feature will allow them to notify you immediately to schedule a repair.

The Bad

• Limited Payment Options
  • Undisclosed Moving Options

Limited Payment Options

Unfortunately, SunBug Solar doesn't offer many types of payment options. They only offer a loan option and a direct purchase option. However, they do have a list of several reputable lenders on their website, as well as a unique crowd-sourced, peer-to-peer solar lending solution as well. Other companies offer a variety of payment options which include a power purchase agreement (PPA) and other types of lease programs. There are benefits to owning your system such as receiving state and federal rebates and tax incentives, as well as being able to choose your own components. A lease or PPA option enables the customer to have solar equipment installed on their home, usually at no cost; however, the company retains ownership of that system and the available rebates and incentives that go with it. Although with a lease option, the customer doesn't have to worry about performing any maintenance on the system. Additionally, with a lease option the customer will lock-in what is usually a lower rate for their electricity during the term of their contract.

Undisclosed Moving Options

SunBug's website does not provide any information about whether or not they offer any type of moving services if you decide to move and take your system with you or if at some point you need to have your roof replaced. Therefore, before you make any final decisions, you will need to ask them if they provide moving services and if so are they included as part of your contract. And if not, do they offer that service for a fee and if so how much will it cost.

The Bottom Line

There is not much to dislike about SunBug Solar. They appear to be a top-notch, reputable solar services provider. Additionally, they are pretty transparent and thorough about what they have to offer and how the whole solar process works. We would like to see them add a few more payment options and information as to whether or not they offer any type of moving services.

View Best Solar Companies

4.9

Bill Fitzpatrick
April 9th, 2018 DETAILS

I can't understand how any solar company could be rated higher. Once the details of my system were worked out They put me on there schedule, started the work the day they said they would, and finished ahead of schedule. From sales to management to support staff and the tech's that came to install everything, all listened to my concerns, explained the process in detail in a easy to understand way, while being clean, prompt, and courteous! I am sure that Sunbug will leave you feeling as confident as I am that using them was a great decision! Two and a half years later I still have their sign up

Peter Trifilo
February 28th, 2018 Barre, MA DETAILS

i had my system installed in a timely and very professional crew and went online may of 2017. Since then the system has worked according to my expectations. I wish I could produce more power in the winter months but that is not Sunbug's problem. That is the angle of the globe and the short days. I would recommend Sunbug to anyone looking to install solar on their rooftop or ground mounted. They gave me the option for both. I also have to acknowledge another review by stating that Sunbug indeed did tell me about some additional incentives that I would have never known about. Hurray for Sunbug and 5 stars all the way

Norman Stafford
February 13th, 2018 Worthington Center, MA DETAILS

My ground mounted system was completed in July and I have had over six months now to evaluate the results of the installation. I am ecstatic. The power being generated on a day like today in the middle of February is much better than I had anticipated. They did a great job of explaining the process before the install and their tiered pricing under the Solarize Mass banner was excellent. The installation crew was very respectful of our landscaping and the pride of workmanship shown was very professional. The building inspector commented that they were doing a fabulous job compared to some of the other installers she had seen.

Donald Lafond
December 12th, 2017 Winchendon, MA

I got 4 different prices on my solar job all from well rated companies. the price were close but sun bug were the only company that told me about the mass solar loan incentives. and that saved me 6000.00 and they did all the paper work. My system was installed 6/20/17 so after 6 months I have no problem so far, and they did every thing they said they would do. the system also look good I'm happy Rusty

Jim Mendelsohn
October 11th, 2017

This company has done 3 solar projects for my family, this speaks volumes. Their straight forward honesty, total reliability and prompt responsiveness have been excellent. The ownership and management of the company have created a customer and worker friendly system providing first class service in a mutually cooperative environment.

Polly H
September 22nd, 2016 Melrose, MA

I called SunBug for a quote in 2012, they said the neighbor's tree blocked sun from my roof, so no. Called them again when new neighbor had the tree cut down (so sad to lose the tree, but lemons, lemonade.) Sun Bug sales rep informed me about Solarize Somerville, a city-sponsored program with *another solar company,* offering significant savings for a limited time span. Who does that? Sends ready-to-buy customers to a competitor? Sun Bug, that's who. Stand-up good person, that SunBug sales rep. My rental house in Mehfuh needs solar too... calling SunBug because they were so honest. And b/c their Angie's List ratings are top notch. Look for another review once they've written up an estimate on this job.

Larry Kerstein
June 14th, 2016 Burlington, MA

Sunbug Solar sold me a rooftop system two years ago. The installation was easy and quick. I have had no problems with the system and have realized significant savings from the system. It has performed up to expectation and I strongly recommend Sunbug Solar.