SolarFlair Logo

Founded in 2006, SolarFlair Energy is a family-run company that offers service in Massachusetts. SolarFlair follows four main tenets that its founders believe truly set the company apart: SolarFlair is "truly local", privately held with no outside investors, has clear financial options to help anyone afford its services, and provides no-pressure consultations.

The Good

• Family-Owned Company
  • Certified Installers
  • Extended Warranties

Family-Owned Company

Matt Arner is the founder and current president of SolarFlair Energy. He has worked in the solar industry for nearly 20 years and was one of the first people in Massachusetts to power his home with solar power. Before starting SolarFlair, Arner worked at Heliotronics, where he helped to develop over 150 solar installations and educational displays at MIT, Harvard, and 15 other schools. Arner is now focused on expanding SolarFlair, which has been growing at a steady rate for the past eight years.

Certified Installers

Since opening its doors, SolarFlair has consistently been ranked in the top 500 installers by SolarWorld; most recently, the company was ranked 123rd. All of SolarFlair's installers are NABCEP certified, which is the gold standard for solar installation and a certification that many competitors do not have.

Extended Warranties

SolarFlair offers a 10-year workmanship warranty that covers materials and labor. The company also offers extended warranties that customers have the option to purchase on top of the standard manufacturer warranties that come with the equipment, which vary from 10 to 25 years.

The Bad

• No Mobile App
  • Mixed Customer Reviews

No Mobile App

SolarFlair does not offer a mobile app for customers to monitor usage. Instead, customers are expected to use the mobile apps provided by the product manufacturers, which only monitor production.

Mixed Customer Reviews

Although customer reviews of SolarFlair are generally positive, there have been a few criticisms. One customer noted that they encountered additional costs that weren't anticipated in the contract.

The Bottom Line

SolarFlair was founded more than a decade ago and has achieved steady growth in the solar industry. The company, which currently operates in Massachusetts, is family-run with experienced management. However, there are some mixed customer reviews about SolarFlair online.

View Best Solar Companies

David Ashland, MA

We had a great experience with Solarflair. They have a local facility and office right in our town, Ashland, MA. As others have said, it takes awhile to get the system turned on due to power company delays in changing the meter, but that is the deal with solar, not with the installer. I need to correct what your site says about monitoring software. Our system was installed in 2016 and came with Enphase Enlighten monitoring--no extra charge. I can check the system from my smart time anytime. (Our production now is not much because we are in the middle of a snow storm, totally cloudy and the panels are covered with snow.) We are very pleased with the system and had 6 months of $0 electric bills in 2017.

Cornel Springfield, MA

I am a retired electrician so i was keenly interested in the choice of materials and specs of the components of the system Solar Flair proposed. I was happy with their choices. I wanted a slightly bigger system soI added 2 more panels and upgraded to a larger inverter. Solar Flair upgraded the inverter at no cost to me.. The Installation, workmanship of the system was high quality. I recomend Solar Flair.. Don't understand their low rating. Cornelio Cayode 7/16/2020

Bruce Greer Providence, RI

I was surprised to see the low rating. We hired Solar Flair through the Solarize Providence (R.I.) program. The City vetted contractors and chose to partner with Solar Flair to offer solar power to interested residents, with price incentives. My own research confirmed that they had an excellent reputation. Start to finish they were excellent. National Grid slowed us down because they took so long to come to our house to exchange meters.

David Dietel Marlborough, MA

I just stumbled across this site. We had our 40 panel/11kwh solar system installed by SolarFlair in May 17. So far we are very pleased with the system and production. Most of our panels face East, but we have peaked out at 57 kWh as our best day of production on June 14th. Installation was excellent, the electrician and install team did fantastic job. My only complaints are around the communication of timing, getting the electric meter replaced to a net meter (at the mercy of National Grid), and then getting the system turned on. I was really surprised to see SolarFlair ranked as low as they are on this site. They did a very good job and the system is delivering as quoted.

Bill Hartman Brookline, MA

We are in a multi-family condo building where we and one other unit owner installed solar panels (purchased, not leased). SolarFlair provided excellent advice and expertise after a few mis-steps with a sales representative who is no longer with the company. They even managed to help with extending the state rebate deadline when it was determined our building needed a new roof before putting the PV panels on. Would highly recommend them.

Renee Romaine Catskill, NY

Once we got the ball rolling with the installation of panels, things moved smoothly. They were very organized and got right to getting the panels installed. They were very professional