Best Company Guarantee Project Solar Logo

Project Solar

8.3

sell See Special Offer chevron_right

Nate Genung Covina, CA

The price was appealing. Customer service and communication was horrible through the design, delivery, installation and permitting process. Project Solar either didn’t listen to my requests, or didn’t communicate them internally between their teams. If Project Solar could improve their project management and communication, they would be a great option. My requested equipment placement was repeatedly ignored. They permitted the equipment in a location I didn’t agree with, then tried to charge me an additional fee for design changes. After confirming an installation date, the equipment was not delivered. There was no availability to reschedule the install for about two weeks. We had to change our family vacation plans and reschedule flights to get home for dates that they had availability to install the system. Project Solar refused to reimburse the cost. They frequently blamed the installer for communication issues, though a majority of the miscommunication issues through the project seemed to be Project Solar’s responsibility. We started this process in June 2022. It’s March 2023 and the project has not been completed. The system was functional for a while but has been non-operational for over a month. I’ve contacted Project Solar about six times in the last month and they did not respond to the first five attempts. They responded to the most recent call but have not yet scheduled repairs. Two failed inspections so far - because there was no attempt to fix the items that failed the first inspection before the second inspection. They told me they were scheduling a third inspection and I reminded the Inspections Team that they needed to address the issues that failed previously.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Nate, thank you for sharing. We strive to offer a positive customer experience, and we're sorry that we have fallen short in this instance. We are reviewing this information with management, and we'll be in contact with you directly to work towards a solution. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] in the meantime. We will be in touch soon.

Mar. 28th, 2023

Joshua Wilson

I went through Project Solar to purchase my solar equipment and did the DIY install option. They handled the equipment and the permitting really well. The price was excellent and everything has been working well for over a year now. My payoff time will be under 9 years in Michigan which is amazing!

Herschel Weintraub Scottsdale, AZ

Everything went smoothly except for a long delay on the installation as the installer had no qualified electricians available. Due to supplier shortages, the new electrical panel was also smaller than what I would have preferred.

David Mead Denver, CO

Great price, horrible customer service. Delays due to incompetence over and over again. Swapped panels at install without knowledge, roof leak after install, microinverters not working at PTO. Unable to get replies back from the company to get my problems fixed. The day of this review a manager that could actually assist reached out. Compensated me financially and was able to get the job done shortly after. Project Solar stepped up with permits, and signage when the installer wouldn't respond. Reaching a manager that would actually respond didn't happen until my review. The product is good, getting to this point was painful. Happy to be done and happy that the panels are working as they should be at this time.

1 year ago Edited September 19, 2022

Vladimir Manko Wausau, WI

Highly recommend. They do everything from initial design, to utility company permits, to finding a local contractor. All at prices significantly lower than competitors. My system has been up and running for several months and all my neighbors/coworkers are pretty jealous.

Branden Siu Castro Valley, CA

Everything went smoothly. Communication is great

Daniel Day Seattle, WA

Timely and responsive to questions. No complaints.

Robert Ellis Lancaster, CA

Smooth process. I had to do very little.

Jason

Booking process, pricing, helpful and knowledgeable people

5 months ago Edited February 5, 2024

David Sherman Desert Hot Springs, CA

Lower cost than anyone else. Great customer service.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello David, thank you for this positive feedback! We are committed to providing the best service and pricing possible, and it's wonderful to hear that we succeeded for your project. Thanks for leaving a review for us!

Sep. 14th, 2023

Gregory

Installation process was slow and steady but they got it done. I had some breakers that broke and it took a while, but they fixed them.

Hannes

Overall, I am very satisfied with Project Solar. Everything ran smoothly and they had timely responses to questions.

Jose

There was always somebody I could get a hold of but there was a little miscommunication. I was very happy with the installation process.

Jason

With Project Solar, it took a while to actually get a hold of the utility. But it is all functioning correctly and everything is clean.

Joao Eduardo Santana Borges Cleveland, OH

Really good company, good support, did all they said they would do. Only thing is that the process took longer than i expected.. but ok.. Covid years to blame.

Reply from Project Solar

Thank you so much for sticking with us, Joao! We're happy that we were able to live up to your expectations.

Apr. 26th, 2023

Laura Gomes Oroville, CA

Absolutely terrible experience spanning seven months. Delay after delay, excuse after excuse. Terrible communication resulting in multiple errors and missteps, so many inspections the county told us to stop wasting their time, people showing up with no notice and no knowledge of the deficiencies called out by the county (despite numerous emails, voice calls, voicemails and texts from us), multiple promises the issues would be taken care of, then the exact same outcome. Told the electrical service was fine, then told the main panel had to be replaced, siding was “repaired” with wide swathes of goop so unsightly we’re paying a contractor to repair it, the loan rate was about to expire because of their many errors so they told the lender the job was complete (so we now get to pay interest on a system that wasn’t even working). If we had it to do over again we’d insist they remove their equipment from our roof and choose a more professional, reliable company. The worst experience we’ve ever had with a contractor. Cannot advise you strongly enough to look literally anywhere else.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Laura, thank you for reaching out. We just wanted to provide an update here: we have worked with you to resolve these issues and get your siding replaced. We appreciate your patience and willingness to work with us on this, and we apologize for the negative experience you've had with our company. If you have any further concerns, our team is happy to address them to the best of our ability. Please reach out to us at [email protected] if there is anything else we can help with.

Mar. 28th, 2023

Alan Hofmeister Belvedere Tiburon, CA

Contract signed on May 28, 2021. Incompleted Installation March 2022 Completed Installation February 2023 Still waiting for PTO..... This has been the worst experience EVER. If I ran my business like this I would be bankrupt. The major problem is that no one comes to your house to spec the system. They base it off Google Maps and the photos you submit. When the installer arrived they couldn't complete the job because it wasn't spec'd correctly. The installer quits their contract with ProjectSolar because this is an ongoing problem with mutiple customers. ProjectSolar now takes months to find a new installer to complete the job. When the new installer arrives they realize it hasn't been spec'd correctly. Hence delaying the installation another few months. Finally after 10 months from the initial installation the system is correctly installed. Now I am being told by ProjectSolar that the PTO is at the mercy of PG&E. While PG&E states a PTO takes 5 - 10 days from application submission. Based on ProjectSolar's track record I am suspecting that the application has not been submitted yet as it has been almost a month since the install was completed. They may be great for some customers, but they completely dropped the ball with this customer.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Alan, We appreciate your review, and we apologize for your frustration with this project. Our management is looking into these issues, and we'll reach out via a direct channel soon to discuss these matters with you. As a partial update, it looks like PTO has been applied for, and we hope to have approval in the next few days. Please reach out to us at [email protected] with any further questions or concerns.

Mar. 9th, 2023

Amber Beauchamp

It is a very long process. It has been a year but it's finally done and I had to be very persistent for them to get everything finalized and permitted correctly but. We got a -28$ electric bill in February so it is finally working and we are so excited for the future of having to pay less

1 year ago Edited January 26, 2024

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Amber, thank you for your willingness to work with us and your patience throughout the process. We're so glad that your system is now producing as it should, and we appreciate your feedback. Please let us know if you run into any further issues.

Feb. 21st, 2023

Lupe Gonzalez Los Angeles, CA

-So far my experience has been sloppy and uncoordinated. I wrote to the company last week & they're just barely getting back to me this week. -Had a male knock on my door one random morning & state they were there to install the solar. I had no idea of this appointment - I was just out of the shower. Happened to be off, luckily I was there. Talked to someone on the phone from Proj Solar after the fact, that confirmed the install appt. -Then, a couple of weeks later, once again, a random visit by someone who said they were going to inspect the solar panels installation. My entire household had covid, very inconvenient once again. I would've liked to have been informed, I would have postponed the visit to when we were cleared so that I can also participate in the inspection & have my questions and concerns answered. -Male who came out to do the inspection sat in front of my house, apparently waiting for another guy. When the second gentleman arrived they both just helped themselves to my backyard. (Leaving the gate open when we have a dog who likes to run out, by the way.) -I asked for a rep to come out and go through the system with me, & answer any questions or concerns I have. -Now, I'm being told the following by Project Solar: -"Unfortunately our installer will not come out to just explain how everything works. It's frustrating, but because they run such a tight schedule, they base their day to day events around installs where they will get paid rather than visiting customers' homes to answer questions. Even with every other job, they do not do this even with the customer being out there at time of installation. Contractors have less of a friendly mindset and are focused on just showing up and getting the job done." " It sounds like Jared did not update you adequately in regards to the dates of installation and inspection. I apologize on his behalf. I understand that can be extremely frustrating." -I'm being pressured to sign off on the contract by the finance company (& rightly so, they just handle money) but I'm not comfortable doing so when I know nothing about what's going on w/the solar panels. -I had to ask for paperwork from the inspection & it lists the previous owner. I've owned the home for 7 mo. And no one caught it from Project Solar? * Their website listed a $500 referral bonus. I also noticed once I clicked to another screen, the referral bonus dropped to $300. (Yes, I know, I'm complaining about customer service & debating referring. BUT I love solar, drive an EV, & their price is good. I was willing to give them a chance, hoping their cust service would have improved. In a previous conversation, one of the Proj Solar employees told me they'd be making changes to improve response) -I screenshot the website & sent the link to my representative. This was their response: I just spoke with my manager. We appreciate you pointing out that mistake on our website. I have notified management to update that so it is accurate! We are so glad that your experience was good enough to want to refer a friend! I was under the impression that you had a bad experience based on what you had expressed to me and the review you left. Because this review reflects poorly on Project Solar, we wanted to ask and see if you would be willing to change or delete the review if we give you the $500.00 referral bonus even though we typically only offer $300.00 to customers for referrals? We definitely appreciate your support and business. * Seems they are trying to buy my review. * Next, I noticed I was quoted & charged for 21 panels. Noticed I only had 18. Sent an email 9/9/22 asking about the discrepancy. No response. Sent another email on 9/14/22, no response. Finally, sent an email on 11/21/22 and got a response today. They're telling me I was notified in 2021 that the solar panels' SIZE CHANGED (not the quantity). (Can confirm receipt of email stating the SIZE had changed, not the quantity. * In the last 3 years, they have 15 BBB complaints! * Good price, seems like a good product, REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE! Beware of that!

Gabe and Becca

They get more than one star because they were cheaper than what I've been able to find. That being said, be careful. It seems that others had a good experience, but not me. By the looks of it, it appears others are experiencing the same thing as me. Which is the following: you wait for six months for "permitting". I've finished my basement and pulled many permits. It is usually approved immediately in my justification. When speaking with project solar, you finally get to the bottom of it, they don't really have people to install. Finally, they switch out the equipment on you without saying anything. They quote you on the good stuff, then change it when it comes to final billing. When I pointed it out, they corrected it and sent be the invoice with the original equipment. I paid and then shortly after, the product was delivered. I was impressed with how quickly it came after paying. But that was premature. One pallet contained the inferior panels, the other the ones I was quoted on. I guess they were hoping i wouldn't notice (and i wouldn't have if they had had the permits actually completed). The installer they contacted was unable to install the system because they were unable to complete the permits! Now I have pallets of panels in my garage that have been sitting there for a couple of weeks with no end in sight of when they will actually be able to get their act together. They have no motivation now though as they've been paid. I will be filling a law suit locally soon if they don't fix things very soon. I've contacted them through email and they do not respond. The only person you can actually reach by phone is their billing department. I guess they want to ensure they are able to take payment!

K johnson

They have the best value. They installed the equipment we specifically asked for - it was good.

2 years ago Edited January 10, 2024

Simon

It's good, took maybe three days.

Kevin Huang Temple City, CA

Customer Review Video

Ingmar Haffke San Mateo, CA

Great price, great support! Personalized communication and support from the team.

Ced Ran Van Nuys, CA

Everything went well. Got our solar from sign up to pto in just a month and some days!

Chase Straw Riverton, UT

Everything went smoothly and by far the most affordable way to add solar to your home!

Trevor Steen Commerce City, CO

Over 7 months start to finish. Long periods with no communication. I had to do a lot of the work at the end to get my system fully connected.

Garen

Customer support was delayed and the installation process went very slowly, but Project Solar is a great company.

I am extremely likely to recommend Project Solar to a friend. The company is cost effective and the process is easy.

Joel

It was easy. Very simple and painless. I don't think there's much better equipment out there.

Greg Arvada, CO

The price was great. We had a little problems with the installers but the project solar people took care of the problems and made it right for us.

Reply from Project Solar

Hi Greg! Thank you so much for this review, and for your patience throughout our process. That's great news that we could make things right for you in the end--let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

May. 1st, 2023

slim shadisky Bethesda, MD

project solar's horrible customer service and incompetent staff ended up costing me countless hours over the course of five months. from the outset, it was the most painful experience. My own boarding specialist had only a cursory knowledge of design and permitting standards in my jurisdiction, and formed project solar that I wanted to maximize solar productivity by putting as many panels on my roof as possible the first design presented to me, was that of a 6 kW system. Huge spaces on my roof were devoid of panels after waiting a week I was told building code, required fire setbacks in the areas where no panels were placed after pulling the code and reading it myself it was clear the design team was confused. But with no direct contacts everything had to go through my on boarding specialist so I was forced to convey my concerns to the on boarding specialist, who then intern spoke with the design team and then got back with me. It took three or four days to answer simple questions. The second array design was an 8 kW system yet still much of my roof was unused and for no apparent reason on multiple occasions, I was told by the on boarding specialist the design team did not feel comfortable. What a bizarre standard to use in designing a solar array … one would think Either it complies with building code, or it doesn't yet that seem to be the mantra, we don't feel comfortable. I even offered to place money in escrow to cover any cost related to the resubmission a plan to my local permitting division should the original plans be returned. after explaining to my own boarding specialist how simple the requirements are in the code. I finally received a 10 kW system design yet large amounts of empty space remained. I was then told the design team I was questioning whether or not my home was permitted properly. What was meant by this I still have no idea. I was then informed by my on boarding specialist that additional panels could not be placed in the empty areas because the melting system protruded beyond that of the pails of cells and thus required additional space. I asked for images and specs of the mounting system that was to be used so I could see for myself, and never received anything. Doing my own research, I found this not to be the case, and in fact the mounting system to be used. I actually created additional space on my roof… The opposite of what I was told. at this point, I was told take it or leave it without any other explanation other than the design is what the design team feels comfortable with. So after five months and easily over 100 hours I'm forced to walk away. It appears that the project seller does have some happy customers but it's difficult for me to believe.

Brian Lee Los Angeles, CA

Buyer beware. My experience with Project Solar has been pretty dismal so far and wanted to let the community know what they may encounter when dealing with this company. Their pricing is what led me to go with them as they were cheaper than the local installers, but the pros end there. My system was originally designed around 395W panels, which was indicated in the purchase agreement that I approved and signed. However, it wasn’t until much later on that I discovered that all of the engineering and permitting was submitted with 390W panels, all without informing me of the change. This dropped my expected system size and output, which of course changes your energy generation and payback period. When I inquired into the change and asked to send me another purchase agreement to reflect the reduced system size (and therefore reduced pricing), they simply sent me the same agreement that I had originally signed, asking me to sign again, which feels like bait and switch. I had to firmly state that the reduced wattage panels and output needed to be reflected in the new pricing and agreement, to which they finally sent after claiming it was a “system error” that needed manager oversight. This doesn’t even address the very lengthy project approval time that I experienced with Project Solar. I signed the original agreement in April, and it is now October and am just starting the install process. Many of my immediate neighbors (subject to the exact same approval process as myself), who went with local installers, started their projects at the same time, but theirs were all completed in 2-3 months. After the purchase agreement issue was resolved, which included many ignored emails on their part and failure to adhere to their own timelines on getting back to me with resolutions, they finally scheduled the install date and sent me the initial invoice for the equipment. However, they tried to get me to pay for the sales tax twice, adding it to the total when the sales tax was already a line item. Again, they claimed it was a system error and fixed it only after I pointed it out. The equipment was delivered as scheduled, only not all of it made it. I found this out when the installers arrived and informed me that the Smart Panel was missing and they were unable to proceed with the installation that day. They also let me know that the roofing installation materials were incorrect and were too thick for my roof tile, even though I sent Project Solar the exact specifications of the roofing, down to the tiling brochure which detailed the specifications of my exact tile. I am now waiting for the installation crew to return to hopefully finish in a timely manner. Again, my experience so far with Project Solar has been very poor, and had I known that it would take this long with this many negative experiences along the way, I would’ve gone with a local installer, even if the pricing is higher, because they seem to be much better at coordinating projects. The communication has been absolutely horrific, and the continued failures to meet deadlines, attempts to overcharge, and just plain sloppy oversight has left me with little confidence in Project Solar. Update 10/6/22: Project solar sent the wrong installation materials again, even after the installers sent the exact specifications, and now the project is delayed another week. Update 12/9/22: The project remains unfinished and the Project Solar team is becoming increasingly difficult to get updates from.

1 year ago Edited January 26, 2024

Adam Fritzsche Dayton, OH

Hopefully this review can save someone from the ordeal I am going through. I was told they had QCell Panels. I was also told they had installers. Started the process and then I was told oh, sorry we can't get the QCells anymore. Then it was, oh we don't have installers in your area, but you can go the diy route. Paid extra for upgraded racking hardware from IronRidge. IronRidge products were all listed as what would be installed on my permit package, I requested a bill of material that were to be shipped prior to making my payment and everything listed was what I wanted. Received order and got the cheapest Unirac hardware available. Was told that was all the supplier had, called the supplier they used and they said that they did have what i wanted available the entire time. This company clearly works on a bait and switch model. It would likely go unnoticed if you went the installed route, but if you cared at all about what you are going to receive, go elsewhere. I understand mistakes happen and perhaps getting the wrong things sent could have been an oversight, so when these things happen I like to give the opportunity to make things right, which most companies when they know they made a mistake will correct, however in this case, Project Solar is not looking like they are willing to make things right and deliver what had been promised and I keep getting a runaround. So $25K later, I am stuck with hardware I did not want. In hindsight, the fact that the only methods of communication are through text or email and that it is virtually impossible to get a number to speak to someone directly is really all you need to know and should be an immediate red flag.

Lauren Florzak Dallas, TX

Dealing with this company has been a nightmare and I definitely regret not doing more research. My main issue with project solar is they authorized the installers to cut corners to save money. My electric company approved a permit that involved specific instructions, everything was approved in writing, signed and agreed to. Project solar realized they could save money by not digging an underground trench (even though this is what was specifically approved). No one asked me anything about changing the design to save money. Here was the final result of them doing an unauthorized installation to save themselves more money. 1) My electric company refused PTO, and emailed a list of corrections. They stated it was even close to the approved permit. I contacted project solar, they ignored me for 3 months. I contacted my bank and reported fraud on the payment. Only after payment was reversed did someone from project solar agree to fix the problem. 2) After the job was finally repaired (5 months later), they left damages to my home, including a 3/4 inch hole going directly into my inside fuse box. The hole going into my fuse box is patched with TAPE. I wonder if it will hold up in rain? I wonder if its a good idea to let water inside my fuse box? NO ONE has responded to me about repairs. They have completely ignored me once again. 3) Grant, from project solar, agreed they made mistakes by not following the initial permit and offered to pay my electric bill for a couple months to offset my delay. They gave me their word. When the final bill arrived, there was no credit, and they told me they never agreed to that. I know what they said, they cannot be trusted, and will lie, cheat, and cut corners to save money. Please, pay a little extra, go with a company that has ethics and integrity. If anything goes wrong on your install, it will be a nightmare. Be smart, learn from my mistakes. If you don't listen, and do decide to go with them, make sure you withhold any sort of payment until you get PTO.

ThatGuy Mariposa, CA

I had an absolutely horrible experience with Project Solar. I had a project going with these guys that was handed off to five different project managers and took almost 4 months before I finally pulled the plug on the project. For no other reason other than they were all temporary employees and either left the company or could not get the design done in under a month. Lastly they handed me off to Allie, a person who told me she was specifically hired to handle these types of problems since they were in such abundance. After many apologies and promises to get this back on track and for her to personally handle my project, nothing happened again. Here we are four months later and I've now had to file a claim with the BBB, the Utah State Attorney General office, and the FTC, all to get my hundred dollars back from something that I never received. Stay away from this company at all cost and read into their reviews and make Common Sense choices. Most of the reviews I found online , like Google, have been falsely inflated with five star reviews by people that I've only contributed that single review or who have been caught posting five star reviews for this company on different websites with different names but the same pictures . Absolutely do not recommend this company.

2 years ago Edited January 3, 2022

Reply from Project Solar

Hi there - we are currently evaluating our reviews, and we unfortunately aren't able to find any identifying information for your project. If you are a Project Solar customer, we'd love to work with you to resolve any remaining issues and improve your experience as much as possible. You can get in touch with us at [email protected].

Jul. 26th, 2023

Royan Dorah Lehigh Acres, FL

They were quick to draw up the project and work with me to get financing. The project was delayed due to know fault of their own. They worked to get all problems resolved

Mike Cederlind Turlock, CA

Blazing fast install. Best price on the internet period!! Hooked me up with $0 down financing Only issue was communication with the installer. Highly recommend

Russell McEvoy

I ordered my unit over 20 days ago. I’m unable to login I have received no emails, I believe I am being ripped off. How can I contact these people? This is the most elaborate scam so far today. So disappointed again.

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Russell, thank you so much for reaching out about your experience. We're sorry that you've had trouble getting in touch with us - after reviewing this, it looks like you reached out outside of our business hours. Our team reached out to you first thing Monday morning to follow up, and we're happy to help in any way we can. As some further information, our units have been on backorder for a couple of weeks, which is why your order hasn't shipped. It seems you may have missed this information on our order page, and we apologize for the miscommunication. We'll be in contact with you directly soon to provide additional information, and we are dedicated to improving your experience as much as possible.

Aug. 22nd, 2023

Gary W Johnson Grover Beach, CA

I had many problems/changes with your process and different staff movement in and out, you were very new

Simran Kaur Santa Clara, CA

We’ve had it for one year now. The system has been producing well.

1 year ago Edited January 10, 2024

Reply from Project Solar

Hello Simran, Thank you for the update! We're glad your system is functioning normally. Please continue to reach out if there's anything we can help you with, and we hope you enjoy your system!

Feb. 17th, 2023

Allan F Visser Kissimmee, FL

Customer Review Video

Lyman

The installation process was fast and everyone I worked with was very helpful.

Morgan

The pricing was competitive and the ease of use was fantastic. My only complaint is that all available options were not discussed with me.

Reply from Project Solar

Hey Morgan! Thank you so much for sharing. We're sorry that we didn't communicate as effectively as we could have, but we're so happy that your process went smoothly. Please reach out if there's anything else we can help you with, and enjoy your system!

Apr. 26th, 2023

Cameron Naramore Elk Grove, CA

Their prices are unbeatable and they handled everything. I just had to check my email to keep up to date with the progress.

Chris Durkin Paso Robles, CA

Great price. System is working perfectly.

Dchandra Milpitas, CA

Budget friendly and very quick installation

Bobby Stankov Parker, CO

Making Solar Affordable, easy to follow directions and

Javier Ayala Sun Valley, CA

Keep there work on time and good customer service

Gaurav Patil San Jose, CA

The panels are working great. So far no Roof issues seen.