Intermountain Wind And Solar Logo

Intermountain Wind And Solar

Is This Your Business?

Founded in 2008, Intermountain Wind and Solar has performed thousands of solar panel installations in its time in business. The company operates in Utah and Idaho, and does not subcontract any of its work. Intermountain Wind and Solar also offers free consultations to interested consumers. From 2014 to 2017, the solar installer was named a "Top 500 Solar Contractor" by Solar Power World Magazine and employs solar technicians who have been certified by the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners.

The Good

• Bulk Purchase Discounts
  • Free Solar Power Calculations
  • Awards and Certifications
  • Quality Solar Equipment

Bulk Purchase Discounts

Intermountain Wind and Solar provides its customers with bulk purchase discounts on solar systems, which can save the customer approximately $4,000 to $6,000. The company also offers several free workshops for homeowners to help them save even more money on solar installations and equipment.

Free Solar Power Calculations

Potential customers have the ability to calculate how much solar power they will need directly on Intermountain Wind and Solar's website. All the user has to do is enter a few data points, such as the amount they are currently spending on electricity and how much power they would like to offset with solar. Consumers are also required to provide their name, email address, phone number and zip code to see how much they could save with solar.

Awards and Certifications

As mentioned above, Intermountain Wind and Solar was named one of the top 500 solar contractors every year between 2014 and 2017. This designation is awarded to solar companies for outstanding solar promotion in their service area. As of 2017, the company has installed more than 5,300 kilowatts of solar energy in solar panel system installations across Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Oregon, and Idaho.

In addition to this designation, the solar company has also achieved certified status from the NABCEP, a solar industry–recognized nonprofit whose mission is to promote best practices and solar installation standards. NABCEP certification sends a clear message to solar customers that Intermountain Wind and Solar's technicians have been trained on the latest developments in solar power system technology.

Quality Solar Equipment

Intermountain Wind and Solar installs premiere equipment with every solar installation. This includes solar panels from SunPower, which tops the list in terms of energy efficiency per watt, inverter systems by SMA, and a battery backup system through the Tesla Powerwall. Combined, this equipment is designed to maximize energy output, power bill savings, and carbon footprint reduction.

The Bad

• Undisclosed Financing Options
  • Short Workmanship Warranty

Undisclosed Financing Options

Although the solar company goes to great lengths to outline which tax incentives and tax credits are available to customers in the various states the company covers, Intermountain Wind and Solar does not disclose which financing options are available to its residential solar customers. One could reasonably imply that the mention of available state-level tax credits on the company site means Intermountain Wind and Solar offers cash purchase and solar loans as options; but whether the company also offers solar leases and power purchase agreements (PPA) for customers unable to afford such a large upfront cost remains unknown.

Short Workmanship Warranty

Intermountain Wind and Solar only covers the labor and workmanship of its solar panel installation for five years. Most leading companies will match their labor warranties with the equipment warranties of their systems, which often amounts to the full 25-year system lifetime or more. In short, if a system malfunction caused by installation errors occur anytime after the first five years of system ownership, solar customers will be solely responsible for the cost of repairing them.

The Bottom Line

Intermountain Wind and Solar appears to be a trustworthy and reliable company with over decade of experience in the renewable energy industry. The company offers free consultations, free solar power calculations, and bulk purchase discounts. However, Intermountain Wind and Solar does not provide much information upfront, including payment options.

View Best Solar Companies

3.2

Tom Borrowman West Jordan, UT

I met them at a Home Show in Sandy, Utah. They came out to the house, gave me a bid and the rest is history. The biggest wait was on West Jordan City. I did have some equipment problems that were not their fault. They stayed with me the whole time until the problem was fixed. They included a monitoring system that I can monitor at home as well as their monitoring at their business. I spoke with the company owner about their customer service and I believe that they are never satisfied until the customer is satisfied. I have been with them since 2016. I would (and have) recommended them to everyone.

David Martinez Lehi, UT

I had my PV panels installed two years ago and I used InterMountain Wind and Solar.... Fantastic... I was able to get a quote from the salesman (Dave) that was right on. Although IMSolar offered different options to finance my panels I chose to use my Credit Union for the purchase. Yes they have an app to monitor the panels.. The biggest delay was with the city and Rocky Mountain Power to come and inspect the work. My power bill is the RMP bill of $9.00 per month.. this pays for the use of the meter.

Unsatisfied Layton, UT

We started getting a power bill. We called Intermountain Wind and Solar to ask what was going on. They told us our invertor had been off for five months. When we asked if they were monitoring us, like they promised, they told us that they cannot monitor our system if it is off. When we asked if they can tell us if our system is off, they told us they can, but they figured that maybe we turned off our system. Huh? What a terrible excuse for their failure to monitor as they promised. It has cost us hundreds of dollars in power bills. Don't do it. Find a company that will actually monitor your system. As it turns out, our invertor was broken. In my opinion, the blew it and refuse to take responsibility for their blunder. Run Run Run.

Bill Shadrach

These guys did a great job for me. Lined up 0% interest financing, managed the job in a very professional way and have answered every question I had. I highly recommend them.

Scott

The sales was slow getting back to me. I had to call in order to get these people to follow thru. As for installation, excellent. I couldn't compare with anyone else till I had a 220 v service install and that electrician remarked on what a really good job was done. BUT, they are still slow at getting back to you.

Scott Upton Smithfield, UT

I was quoted 10,000 kWh a year for my solar production. The first year I made 8,800 and the 2nd I made 8,900..... They were way off on the power it would provide leaving me with power bills still.