Vivint Smart Home

Vivint Smart Home is a leading smart home company that delivers an integrated smart home system with professional installation and 24/7 customer care and monitoring. Dedicated to redefining the home experience with intelligent products and services, Vivint serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Oplink Security Logo
Oplink Security chevron_right
0.0
star_border star_border star_border star_border star_border

The Good

• Vivint Smart Home Mobile App
  • High-Tech Smart Home Equipment

Vivint Smart Home Mobile App

Homeowners have the option of monitoring, surveilling, and controlling their home from their smartphones through Vivint’s mobile app.

The Vivint Smart Home mobile app allows users to have complete control over their homes (even if they're traveling across the country). Homeowners can see who's at their door with the doorbell camera, unlock the door for delivery people, and customize specific actions such as having the front and back door automatically lock at 11 P.M. every night.

The app is an excellent feature as it increases the security of your home and gives you peace of mind. If you can't remember if you locked the door on your way out, simply check your phone.

High-Tech Smart Home Equipment

Vivint offers a variety of advanced smart home equipment. All equipment integrates well with other security and smart home equipment and makes your home safer and more manageable.

Smart Hub Dashboard

Vivint’s Smart Hub is a touchscreen dashboard with an intuitive layout that allows customers to control and manage their smart homes. The hub includes two-way talk and a one-touch callout in the case of an emergency, which will give you instant communication with Vivint’s 24/7 monitoring teams.

The Smart Hub's quality and straightforward interface makes controlling your smart home a breeze, and being able to manage your entire home from one central control hub is a bonus.

Element Thermostat

Vivint has an Element Thermostat that helps homeowners conserve energy and save on utility bills. You can set preferred settings so that the Element can auto-adjust to your specified temperature after you arrive home, and you can also control the smart thermostat from your Vivint app.

Indoor/Outdoor Cameras

Vivint has an indoor camera and an outdoor camera that you can choose from. The indoor Ping Camera includes two-way communication and a one-touch callout button that gives your home a line of communication to your smartphone. This way, you can check in on your home and your family through the Vivint app and Ping Camera.

Vivint’s Outdoor Camera Pro includes two-way talk, hybrid wired Wi-Fi connection, a wide-angle lens with night vision, and HD video and zoom capabilities.

Vivint also has a doorbell camera option that includes Smart Visitor Detection that alerts you whenever someone comes to your door. Its technology is also programmed to ignore other unimportant movements, such as a car passing by. Through Vivint’s app, you can access live footage and speak to your visitors with two-way talk.

The Bad

• No Online Pricing Information
  • Professional Installation Only

No Online Pricing Information

Vivint is not transparent about its pricing on its website, so customers need to request a quote and expect a call from a Vivint representative to get further information.

Professional Installation Only

Vivint only offers professional installation for its smart home services. If you’re looking for a do-it-yourself solution, Vivint may not be for you. Vivint also does not state on its website if professional installation is free or if you will need to pay an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

Vivint provides a reliable home automation service and has robust smart home options, including some of the most popular features available to the smart home market. These include various security and energy controls to help homeowners monitor and protect their homes.

If you are looking for a secure home automation system that can be closely integrated with your home security system, you can consider Vivint Smart Home Automation as a viable option.

It’s important to note that vivint does not list its pricing or contract information on its website, so you’ll need to contact the company for more information.

1.9

star star_half star_border star_border star_border

Josh Lipsey Mount Washington, KY

I like what the system is designed to do. I dont like the fact that I'm continuing to have issues with Vivint's smart hub tablet. Also I had a nest thermostat purchased through them and installed. It failed this spring and I spent 90+ minutes on the phone with customer service for them only to tell me that I have to go through nest to get it replaced because they no longer use or support the nest thermostats they had sold me when I got the system installed

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Josh. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your panel and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

May. 4th, 2021

Victor Fortner West Jordan, UT

My thermostat is disconnected from my panel and runs my heater poorly my front room motion detector is not working I called a support member and just got the run around as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't recommend your service.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Victor. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Misty Barnes Kingsland, GA

Never recieved the DVR I was told I could get to fix the ongoing pauses in the videos my systems keeps going offline and when I go to see who is at my house live the lag is so bad by the time I see whats going on the person is gone. The system freezes quite a bit when you go to look from your phone wish the quality was what I was told it was not sure what you can do to fix this problem.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Misty. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your DVR and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Margie Beth Fox Amarillo, TX

Equipment works ok. Customer Service not the best. Was not informed that a loan would be taken out at the bank for the equipment. It was my understanding that we would be renting the equipment from Vivint. Now that we would like to discontinue our services with Vivint, that is not possible due to the bank loan we only recently discovered. We were never even given the option to purchase the equipment outright. Not a good judgement call on the part of the seller.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Margie. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with customer service  and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

William “Bill” Shaw Lexington, KY

We have had a major problem with our Heating & Air due to the Vivint thermostat being wired incorrectly. We couldn’t get much heat during the winter and it ran as “Emergency” heat and doubled our electric bill. We are waiting on someone to call regarding the situation. Customer service in The Philippines said someone would call, but no one has called.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback William. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your thermostat and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Edythe N Blackwell Grayson, GA

I had no idea that the young lady put batteries in the doors. It said that the batteries are low. I figured it out and took the batteries out and went to the battery + store. I bought new ones and installed it. It still read low. I took the battery out and went back they tested it and it was fine. It takes pictures and then you can no see the picture later. I did better with my old system. The installer didn't give a good explanation about how the new system that she installed. I am older and I had to figure out what to do. If it worked properly then I would have given it a better grade. I did call customer service, however I ended up having to call back cause the thing was offline. It's just a lot.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Edythe. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Maurice Graham Benton Harbor, MI

I do not Like that it keeps going offline also we have it set to for the door bell to speak when someone out their or rang bell also the bell works when it wants to we have not had it a year and had to replace the motion battery

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Maurice. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your doorbell and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Nichole Giddens Lubbock, TX

Garage door sensor keeps falling of & breaks. I had numerous calls with customer service in the past & a new one was shipped out. This time, I'm frustrated & don't feel like dealing with customer service. Equipment needs to be installed initially with more than double sided tape!

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Nichole. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Carrie Melton Layton, UT

The cameras were placed in such a way that there are blind spots. The cameras are not as nice as the demo led me to believe they would be. I cannot hear the doorbell unless I am in the room next to the door. The technician disconnected my old door bell and removed parts from it, so I cannot switch back.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Carrie. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Kathleen Poirier Concord, NC

Salesman did not follow through on our request to have original thermostats put back; installation of a keypad in the master bedroom was sloppy leaving a hole. Asked that it be fixed with a previous review provided, no one followed through and fixed the hole. Backyard camera keeps sending alerts when a bug or bird flies by or if it's raining. Also, unit that's plugged in for this camera keeps switching from blue to red to blue. The same unit in the garage does not do this. Cannot program thermostat installed to switch from sleep temp to wake-up temp at a specific time (our original thermostats had that feature; again they were not put back as requested)

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback , Kathleen. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your services and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

BeLinda DeVore Lees Summit, MO

They were not upfront at all about costs. When I tried to get breakdown, I was told one thing from one representative, then another thing by a different representative. Customer service was awful. I’d be told they were doing one thing, then follow up and be told another thing by someone else.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback BeLinda. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Donald Pack Port Allen, LA

Problems with system. Installation was not engineered around house side and the correct placement of components to help cameras a modern communicate with each other. Have to reboot on a regular basis.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Donald. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your system and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Gary Koveleski Erie, CO

Faulty devices with poor customer service when experiencing issues. When I called back to remedy a problem I have to go through the same script to explain the problem again. Now they are asking to climb a ladder to reset the faulty camera or I can pay for a technician to repair the problem.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Gary. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Chuck Brown Cleburne, TX

Dont like how long it takes it to update a video when it goes of it gives people too much time for people to get away and when we are in the yard through the day it goes off every few min

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Chuck. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Tony Gonzalez North Ridgeville, OH

after 2 hrs on the phone to set up my new main box it still didn't work my cameras are unable to playback mode. I'm still unable to open my garage from my mobile device. After talking to a supervisor they wanted to charge me to have a tech come out and fix my equipment and getting it working. I haven't received a return phone call and my equipment still does not work

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Tony. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Joe Stump Evans, CO

The cameras don’t work majority of the time. They are constantly going off when no one is even around. They forget where the place shipped packages to them, and harass you for 4 months saying you owe a huge bill because you didn’t return items. Then they find it and offer you a lazy $15 off for a month for them harassing you for several months. Then they lie about giving you items for free because they don’t put it in the system. So you get played.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Joe. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Arturo Garcia-Camacho McAllen, TX

As far the equipment is concern I have some issues with the wifi. You sent me a new router but I am not sure is working. Instead, you should offer fixing the problem in house. I am also upset because when I signed in with you been referred by my wife, I was told that I would get a credit for 200.00 for me and other 200 for my wife for the referral.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Arturo. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Fred Frontino Mesa, AZ

I bought a Vivint smart home security system a few years ago. I liked the equipment and the ease of use but felt their monitoring was over priced. I still have the equipment and it works great, but I no longer pay for monitoring.

Jose Madera, CA

Worst customer service ever I have not recieved all my equipment and I canceled in February and am still being charged. Worst alarm company ever. Get put on hold for hours and nothing ever gets solved.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Jose. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your service and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Ryan Jackson Oroville, CA

Customer service sucks. They can’t seem to figure out the problem we have with our cameras, they keep telling us it’s fine so as soon as our payment contract is up I will be dropping your service.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Ryan. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your cameras and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Zachary Just Uniontown, PA

Terrible. The person that sold us the Vivint was dishonest and lied about a number of things. We are now stuck in contract at a price that was not the given to us. I would never recommend Vivint to anyone.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Zachery. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Kim Leesburg, VA

I don't like anything about it! The customer service farmed out to other countries and the equipment not working after repeatedly calling to have to have fixed. The hours spent on the phone trying to get assistance

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Kim. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Juan Camacho Lancaster, CA

Don't like that my camera doesn't advise my phone all the time. Nor does it whistle when I pass by. They broke into my truck wich was parked right under the camera and I didn't get notified

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Juan. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your camera and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Apr. 5th, 2021

laura Fairbanks, AK

I was lied to, and unable to get the video that would put my ex in jail for stalking and assault. the system fails to record, customer service is nonexistent. horrible experience.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Laura. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your services and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Apr. 3rd, 2021

Sanyah Gee Stone Mountain, GA

Poor customer service, and when installing I was not told that my old sensor would be used and not covered. I had to pay for a new sensor and it has yet to arrive, i have already had to replace the battery’s on 2 sensor that where installed less than a year ago

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Sanyah. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Matthew Leal Allen, TX

The app used to work fine, but recent updates have rendered it almost useless. You can't view live stream on the cams, you can't change the mode of the thermostats, and there are times that the garage door opener doesn't work. What is the point of having a state of the art security system that doesn't work?

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Matthew. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with with the app and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Wendy Villarreal McAllen, TX

Do not like that I was not provided with all the information needed to make the decision to keep my service. I told my payments and monitoring fee will remain the same after changes were made; however, my fee changed and am stuck with company. Worst company and customer service given since the selecting company

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Wendy. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Anonymous Bismarck, ND

The sales person who came to my door was not honest with me. I signed a five year contract and that was disappointing but the system is easy to use and customer service answers my calls promptly.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback . We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your services and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Caitlin Crocker Tuscaloosa, AL

Terrible. People who did “installations” were very rude and unprofessional. Let’s holes in my wall and said “you can patch it with putty.” Didn't ever install monitor on the wall or get a sign for my yard. Nest doesn’t work properly.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Caitlin . We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your services  and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Dario nuhanovic Jacksonville, FL

Terrible installation choices , sensor is pointing at window so the motion is activated by cars , completely skips people walking in front of the sensor , I find the camera sub par compared to make smart cameras I have used like circle camera, ring camera, Amazon cameras, and more.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback  Dario. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your installation and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Eunice Morales Lansdowne, PA

Horrible. It always takes forever to connect with someone and when I finally do, they still can’t help. I’ve been on the phone with them for over an hour everytime I call. It’s ridiculous. All that time for them to tell me someone is going to reach out to me!

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback  Eunice. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  customer service and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible

Mar. 2nd, 2021

Gordon Werner Plano, TX

Way too costly to start up with their equipment. Constant false notifications of devices having dead batteries!

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Gordon. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  the false notifications and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Devi Rizal Reynoldsburg, OH

Is okay because it's quite expensive because you literally own all the equipment they have and you have to pay for stuff that you legally own.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Devi. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Maria Latta, SC

The equipment is cheap and overpriced, my monitor doesn't work with the doorbell it has a delay in it I would not recommend Vivint to any friends or family

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Maria. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Tiffany Mobile, AL

Awful experience starting from the pushy and disrespectful sales rep. Customer service unprofessional and rude. I will have to tell everyone about the worst experience I ever had in life.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Tiffany. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with our customer service and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Vickie Nicholasville, KY

Agent was not truthful in his sell of the service and equipment. I would never recommend this company to anyone...

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Vickie. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  the agent and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Kathleen Neeley Colorado Springs, CO

Alarm is set off constantly by the wind. Customer service is a joke! I pay $41.00 a month for a useless system. I don’t bother to even turn it on.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Kathleen. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your equipment and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Isabella Vittoria Lopez Yakima, WA

The worst company for security period extremely unprofessional installers and supervisor I strongly do NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Isabella. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your service and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Katherine Smith Orange, TX

The cameras do not work and it takes to long to get help. I have just given up and I am paying monthly for devices that do not help at all.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Katherine. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Emily Alpine, UT

We have loved our Smart home set up - the App is easy to navigate and always runs smoothly. The installation was done professionally and thoroughly. We feel well protected and haven’t had any connectivity issues at all. We do wish we could get their new black sign though.

thomas hilton Tallahassee, FL

This has been a terrible experience from the beginning. I can't say anything good about vivint. Every day that goes by, I regret my decision to give this shady company my hard earned money.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

That doesn’t sound good, Thomas! We’re so sorry that you haven’t had a good experience yet. Please give us a call at 1-800-216-5232. We want to make sure your issue is resolved. Thank you for your feedback!

May. 2nd, 2021

Stephanie Clearfield, UT

Phone app sucks I can never get it to load the cameras when I get a notice

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Stephanie. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your app and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Chris Smith Marysville, CA

They are horrible, sold me a system that doesn't work for my home then said they would refund me and never did.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Chris. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your service and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Christina Healey Provo, UT

We use the Vivint Smarthome system. We have loved our doorbell camera. It’s really nice to see what’s happening in front of our house and who’s at the door. Definitely makes me feel more secure!

Megan Clines Bellevue, NE

Terrible customer service. Would not work with me to end my account. Sneaky contract. Sales rep wouldn't call me back after he made the sale.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Megan. We appreciate your honesty about your experience and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Amira Lindbloom Marysville, CA

We were lied to, told we had 30 days to change our mind and it was actually three. System doesn’t work half the time and tech support is horrible.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback, Amira . We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your services and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Karen Young Brownsville, TX

Overpriced. Unable to use devices if you terminate monitoring. Slow connectivity. Lazy and poor installation.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback , Karen. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with your services  and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Edgar Chavez Simpsonville, SC

The app is horrible, I like the camera quality

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Edgar. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  your app and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Rob Sampson

This company has the worst customer care I have ever experienced.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Rob. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  customer service and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.

Shayla Aurora, CO

System is very delayed and our door randomly locks on its own.

Reply from Vivint Smart Home

Thank you for your feedback Shayla. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with  the delay and would love to investigate this further. Please contact our support team at 1-800-216-5232 so we can assist you as quickly as possible.