Vivint Smart Home is a leading smart home company that delivers an integrated smart home system with professional installation and 24/7 customer care and monitoring. Dedicated to redefining the home experience with intelligent products and services, Vivint serves customers throughout the U.S. and Canada.

Home8 chevron_right
Oplink Security chevron_right

The Good

• Vivint Smart Home Mobile App
  • High-Tech Smart Home Equipment

Vivint Smart Home Mobile App

Homeowners have the option of monitoring, surveilling, and controlling their home from their smartphones through Vivint’s mobile app.

The Vivint Smart Home mobile app allows users to have complete control over their homes (even if they're traveling across the country). Homeowners can see who's at their door with the doorbell camera, unlock the door for delivery people, and customize specific actions such as having the front and back door automatically lock at 11 P.M. every night.

The app is an excellent feature as it increases the security of your home and gives you peace of mind. If you can't remember if you locked the door on your way out, simply check your phone.

High-Tech Smart Home Equipment

Vivint offers a variety of advanced smart home equipment. All equipment integrates well with other security and smart home equipment and makes your home safer and more manageable.

Smart Hub Dashboard

Vivint’s Smart Hub is a touchscreen dashboard with an intuitive layout that allows customers to control and manage their smart homes. The hub includes two-way talk and a one-touch callout in the case of an emergency, which will give you instant communication with Vivint’s 24/7 monitoring teams.

The Smart Hub's quality and straightforward interface makes controlling your smart home a breeze, and being able to manage your entire home from one central control hub is a bonus.

Element Thermostat

Vivint has an Element Thermostat that helps homeowners conserve energy and save on utility bills. You can set preferred settings so that the Element can auto-adjust to your specified temperature after you arrive home, and you can also control the smart thermostat from your Vivint app.

Indoor/Outdoor Cameras

Vivint has an indoor camera and an outdoor camera that you can choose from. The indoor Ping Camera includes two-way communication and a one-touch callout button that gives your home a line of communication to your smartphone. This way, you can check in on your home and your family through the Vivint app and Ping Camera.

Vivint’s Outdoor Camera Pro includes two-way talk, hybrid wired Wi-Fi connection, a wide-angle lens with night vision, and HD video and zoom capabilities.

Vivint also has a doorbell camera option that includes Smart Visitor Detection that alerts you whenever someone comes to your door. Its technology is also programmed to ignore other unimportant movements, such as a car passing by. Through Vivint’s app, you can access live footage and speak to your visitors with two-way talk.

The Bad

• No Online Pricing Information
  • Professional Installation Only

No Online Pricing Information

Vivint is not transparent about its pricing on its website, so customers need to request a quote and expect a call from a Vivint representative to get further information.

Professional Installation Only

Vivint only offers professional installation for its smart home services. If you’re looking for a do-it-yourself solution, Vivint may not be for you. Vivint also does not state on its website if professional installation is free or if you will need to pay an installation fee.

The Bottom Line

Vivint provides a reliable home automation service and has robust smart home options, including some of the most popular features available to the smart home market. These include various security and energy controls to help homeowners monitor and protect their homes.

If you are looking for a secure home automation system that can be closely integrated with your home security system, you can consider Vivint Smart Home Automation as a viable option.

It’s important to note that vivint does not list its pricing or contract information on its website, so you’ll need to contact the company for more information.

2.7

Madelyn

January 20th, 2020 Gulfport, MS DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have Vivint and love it. I really love that I can log in from anywhere to view our cameras. I definitely feel much safer with it!

Hector Espinosa

October 11th, 2019 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't believe it they're great to charge you there are great to sell you they are terrible customer supprort. I've had multiple issues and I have any even had the system for a year they've had to replace in the door twice now the 2nd AC sensor is not working 7 window sensors on working in they yet Have not fixed it. 1 I an appointment with schedule then someone cancel that and now they want me to go through the whole process again and pay $49 a complete rip off because they have record of the hour and a 1/2 I wasted troubleshooting the problem.

Simmonds

July 19th, 2019 Staten Island, NY

I had a pre existing system in a house I purchasrd. I wanted to use Vivint and reactivate the system. I was impressed that the upgrade was done the same day I signed on( they came that evening). However, I wasn’t given a book or steps to become comfortable with the system. Since I didn’t have WiFi I was told that I wouldn’t have camera access until I have WiFi. I would have to connect the power box with the internet. There wasn’t any possibility for the technicians to come back and ensure the proper function and operation. The company required a credit check to be approved for the system. If you experience a problem you have to go online and wait for a chat with a rep. You can’t buy additional sensors after you sign the contract. That has to be built into the contract. So you would have to redo the contract adding that. So far poor customer support considering the monthly cost and the fact you have a contract.

Dilly

March 16th, 2019 Helotes, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Had VIVINT Smart Home for just over 1 year. Billing issues from the start! I was being billed "monthly" for equipment I paid for upfront. Equipment failure issues: from the Panel, the doorbell camera the driveway camera. requiring rebooting the system to updating the App. "Inconvenience Credits" offered screwed up the billing process. Billing by mail arrived AFTER the due date. When the home panel image "froze" this week. I'd had it! Then it took 4 customer reps plus a "Customer Loyalty" (at their insistence) before I could cancel my service.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Dilly. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with Vivint Smart Home and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232

Tiffany

December 13th, 2018 Tempe, AZ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Horrible experience. Not only did i feel like i was bait and switched but come find out i was told i could cancel my contract at anytime with no penalty but i went to cancel when the price randomly went up and found out im stuck in a 5 year term if i cancel its with penalties. DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY!!!!

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Tiffany. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

HoustonBreezy

June 23rd, 2018 Cypress, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had this system for almost a year and it never really worked ever! Meaning there was always an issue with one camera at any given time! Finally, they removed the equipment and we are searching for a new system! The customer service is 50/50 depending who you get, and they were either amazing or horrible! Great idea but it would have to work 100 % of the time for me to be happy!

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback HoustonBreezy. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with Vivint Smart Home and would love to assist you in the future should you ever choose to secure your home with Vivint again.

Easton Bingham

April 11th, 2018 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint is aight. I haven’t had too many bad experiences, but I’ve talked to a lot of people that have. It seems like you’re either a lucky one and don’t have any issues, or you get the short end of the stick and you have lots of them. Not really an in between. Customer Service is great though.

Robinson Hernandez

March 11th, 2018 Miami, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Sales representative mislead with products company haven’t offer over a year even do it is in the company website and sales representative sales display. Original appointment reschedule by sales representative with not my consent which then the technicians arrive 3 hours late and then left my house at 12am with a incomplete installation . Then I was told I have to reaschdule to complete installation for the following weekend which it is out of the question since leaving town on vacation and house not protected. Will not recommended this company poor customer service, deceptive sales practice. I also was advice of no contract but upon reading fine print I discover a 5 year contract.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Robinson. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

Greg Douglas

February 10th, 2018 Tulare, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We have had their equipment and monitoring for 42 months. Recently I had an issue and they needed a technician to come out and go through my system. after three failed attempts and many lost hrs. You know what. I am going to cut this short, they have lied to me, made promises they haven’t kept, duped my wife into extending our contract, still haven’t gotten a tech to come out to fix the issue,. I’m pissed and would switch if I wasn’t still under contract, actually I may buy out the contract and switch anyways. I would not recommend this company at all. Again, I would not and never will recommend this company to anyone. The customer service is unforgivably horrible. Lots of so sorry’s but No action.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Greg. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

Sonia Felix

January 17th, 2018 Virginia Beach, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Dont do it. They charge you for everything. They even charge you for having a technician come out to repair their faulty equipment. You are expected to fix it yourself while on the phone with them for 3 hours. I can give you so many more, examples, but no time. Sad, to say, i have my attorneys working on getting me out this contract.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Sonia. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us in with us 24/7 so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

LeaAda Marshall

January 17th, 2018 Washington, DC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I’ve had Vivint for years and absolutely love the service.

S. Sandy

January 16th, 2018 Baltimore, MD DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is my smart home. I was away and they contacted me about a fire alarm going off at my home. I was in the Caribbean and got that call. . I was greatly surprised and hugely great full. Thanks Vivint!

Dan

December 16th, 2017 Rowlett, TX DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Vivint has had incredible customer service over the last two years of our contract. We have loved their home automation and security services. Whenever an issue has come up, they have sent a technician to fix it at no additional cost to us. Although they may be a little more expensive than some competitors, the service we have received has been worth the price.

Kaylene Finch

November 20th, 2017 Provo, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I loved having a smart home that controlled my lights and thermostat, but it was pretty unreliable and broke three times in the 10 months I lived with it.

Paxon Fischer

November 20th, 2017 Herriman, UT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

System works well, most of the time. Their integrations with Google Home could be significantly improved. Sometimes we get phantom notifications for things like open doors when in fact it's open. I wouldn't generally recommend for apartments.

LStreets

September 24th, 2017

Vivint is an excellent home security system, with total security including cameras, glass breakage monitoring, 24/7 monitoring service, and excellent customer service.

Rebecca Hollinger

August 28th, 2017

We just purchased their home system and everything went great. We were told all information up front and if you buy the system through Best buy you don't have a contract you are stuck with.

Chris

February 1st, 2017 North Kingstown, RI

Good from top to bottom. All the stuff works as planned and I'm happy. Thanks guys

Jessica Lynn

December 26th, 2016

Installed the thermostat incorrectly and I had to pay to have someone fix it!

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Jessica. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

Jamey Montgomery

November 21st, 2016

My wife and I have been Vivint customers from 2012 until tonight. We have referred them to many people and have never really encountered a problem until tonight. We are moving my elderly mother in with us and were in the process of canceling her account when the operator told her that she would need to pay $800.00 to cancel her 5 year agreement. She had another option to try and sell her equipment to another poor soul and have them take over the remaining time left. Funny thing is the contract we have a copy of says 24 months and should be about to expire. I called vivint tonight on my moms behalf and tried to reason with them. I asked why would every other person we referred, along with us be offered a 24 month package and then try to screw over an elderly widow with a five year contract? They didn't have a good answer. They gave me three different expiration dates during the duration of my call but none of them matched what was on her written contract. So to make things easier I had them look up my account and had them verify that my contract was up. They did. I told them to cancel my contract and that we would move my mother's service over. Easy right? Nope! They were willing to do this but wanted to charge $100 to send a technician out to move her equipment. I explained that wasn't necessary because we already had it hooked up. They said that he still had to come out and change the name over. I laughed because they can talk to you through the system, they can turn your alarm off from their office, but they cannot change the name on the bill without coming out???? I did not agree with the charge, canceled my membership, and told them to please charge my mom the $800. I am going to pursue this ridiculousness with all that I have. This is a total joke of a company, full of crooks and unethical selling tactics. I'm sending my contract to my attorney the first time I am contacted about this charge. I promised the salesperson on the phone that I would be as vocal as possible to every ear I could find and let people know what this company is all about. Here's to the beginning of a long night. I've just begun. #vivintsmarthome

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Jamey. We understand your frustration and would like to see how we can assist you. Please call us so we can discuss this further, and make sure you are taken care of. Please call us at 18002165232.

Wayne E Boyd

November 8th, 2016 Amarillo, TX

We had Vivint for 6 years, even when they were called Apex. In the end they tried to charge us to cancel.

Jul 15, 2020

Thank you for your feedback Wayne. We appreciate your honesty about your experience with Vivint Smart Home and would love to investigate this further. So that we can, please contact our Support team at 1-800-216-5232