Apartments.com is one of the most popular online apartment listing websites, offering renters access to information of more than 500,000 available units for rent.
In addition to serving renters nationwide, Apartments.com is an advertising partner for professional property owners and management companies, private landlords and classified listings. The company is a subsidiary of Washington, DC-based CoStar Group, Inc. along with ApartmentFinder.com, and ApartmentHomeLiving.com. CoStar operates websites with over 19 million unique monthly visitors with more than 9 million registered members.

#1 Homes.com chevron_right
2.8
#2 RE/MAX chevron_right
2.8
#3 Keller Williams Realty chevron_right
2.2

The Good

• International
  • States
  • Agents
  • Offices
  • Real estate options
  • Filtering options
  • Commission/selling cost
  • Specialties
  • Experience
International

CoStar, Apartment.com's parent company, is available in more than 3 countries: The United States, Europe and Canada. Regarding Apartment.com specifically, listings are limited to the United States.

States

Since Apartments.com is an online database, service is available in 51/51 states. They are available anywhere you have internet access. This allows you to search for apartments anywhere in the country from anywhere.

Agents

Due to the nature of their business, Apartments.com does not utilize agents in the apartment searching process. CoStar (Apartment.com) has a staff of over 2,400 worldwide.

Offices

CoStar maintains offices throughout the U.S., Canada and Europe. In the United States, Apartment.com has one office, which is headquartered in Washington, DC.

Real Estate Options

Apartment.com offers services to help you search apartments, condos and homes. Their free apps (Polygon and Commuter Based app) have special features to help you find your desired place. The "Polygon" helps you zero in on the exact location you want to live by drawing a polygon on the map to find listings in that area. The "Commute-Based Search" shows you properties near to where you work and play most, using real world commute times based on your preferred mode of transportation. "Save Favorites" helps you keep the listings that you have interest in and help you view them from different devices. "HD Video" is extremely helpful if you cannot fit in a tour. You feel as though you are really there by watching the HD video showcases of properties. The high resolution photos also help you understand what the location is like without leaving your own place.

Apartment.com also offers paid advertising services to property owners looking to rent properties. Listing your apartment or rental property on their site requires selecting one of their Network packages: Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond. Depending on which tier you choose, you get access to many advertising features and services, such as Network Ad Analytics, High Resolution Photo Shoot, and 3D Tour Production.

Filtering Options

Apartments.com offers 9 search options. These include City, Zip Code, Neighborhood, Address, Property Name, State, Price range, Beds and Baths.

Commission/Selling Cost

With no agents or real estate professionals, there is no commission or selling cost. There is, however, an undisclosed fee for advertising apartments on their website.

Specialties

Staying true to its name, Apartment.com's specialty is creating and listing the most up-to-date database to connect apartment (rental) seekers with property owners listing apartments. Unlike other real estate sites, they don't deal in additional services like commercial real estate. CoStar does offer some of these specialty services, but not through Apartment.com.

Experience

Apartment.com's parent company, CoStar, was founded in 1987. Over the past 30+ years of business, the company has produced and currently operates what is arguably the largest and most comprehensive database of commercial real estate information.

The Bad

License

Since they don't use agents, realtors or brokers, no licensing is required. This allows for no commission fees or acquisition costs for renters. By interviewing everyone from brokers to owners and property managers, Apartment.com makes sure their data is up-to-date, trusted and reliable.

The downside is that Apartments.com does not broker, lease, or sublease apartments directly and is not a part to any transaction between landlords and renters. So, Apartments.com does not (a) guarantee or ensure any apartment or any transaction between a renter and landlord, (b) collect or process payment or execute any lease or sublease documentation on behalf of renters or landlords, or (c) broker, lease, or sublease or offer to broker, lease or sublease, or own any apartments. You are personally in charge of inspecting any apartment advertised for rent prior to signing any lease documentation. If you do not want to take on all these responsibilities you must go and hire another company, or real estate agent, to help you close the deal you want.

The Bottom Line

For renters seeking apartments or condos, Apartment.com is recommended. This is especially true for millennials and tech-savvy individuals who enjoy using mobile devices and apps. Keep in mind that if you use this site you are solely responsible for making deals with landlords/rental owners and whatever comes along thereafter.

1.6

csabret

May 15th, 2020 Lockport, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Apartments.com routinely delete negative reviews in collusion with the apartment management companies. Review 12000 Edgewater Drive Lakewood OH Management engages in fraud. I terminated a lease 7 months early with management's written agreement I would pay a 2 month penalty. I relied on this assurance to vacate the apartment. They (candice harb evangelou) subsequently charged me for the entire 7 months after the fact and refused to respond to all inquiries.

Angela Davis

March 24th, 2020 Brighton, MA

Just like the others have stated. I wrote a negative review for our complex and it was IMMEDIATELY removed. Not only that, the few reviews that exist would average to 3 stars for our complex, and yet the rating is listed at 4.9. Funny, our complex has a rating of 1.5 on held and 3.2 on google. Absolutely crooked.

Pamela Otero

March 14th, 2020 Rochester, MI

They erased my negative review. They do not share negatives as they are on the side of the property owers....untrustworty!!!

Jacob Warstler

March 9th, 2020 Charlevoix, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Apartments.com deletes negative reviews of apartments so there is no point in trusting them.

Marimad Properties

February 19th, 2020 Fort Lee, NJ

I had the unusual issue that Apartments.com did not 'recognize' the address of my 4 unit multifamily property. I was forced to use their 'support' email to resolve. After much back and forth where they requested so much info from us and we provided it all, they ended up setting up the ad themselves and it's terrible and virtually uneditable where it counts. So, we'll have to rely on Zillow and Craigslist.....so far no inquiries for our 3 vacant units on Apartments.com, all have been from Zillow and Craigslist.

greymon1955

January 24th, 2020 Ormond Beach, FL

The Listing is free and provides a well-organized web page for listing your rental property. Tracking prospective renters and notifications. Provides all the standard rental services. Renters may even pay by credit card. Even allows prospective renter to call from apartments.com phone number and talk to new landlord anonymously, brilliant. I use all the websites to list our rentals and appreciate them all, but apartments.com is number one!

Erika Ramirez

January 19th, 2020 Fontana, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They delete bad reviews from apartments I honestly think the apartments owners reach out to apartments.com and buy them off cause it’s funny all the bad reviews removed from apartments.com? I don’t honestly understand why apartments.com removes bad reviews when people don’t say bad words they are just letting people know how bad those apartments are from experience and people should know and be aware and apartments.com not helping removing them but yeah they get paid to removed them that’s the truth. Shame on you

Vana LaBorde

November 5th, 2019 Houston, TX

Apartments.com website will not let you leave a bad review of an apartment complex. I have tried twice and both times rejected. I even tried by framing my review like others that were accepted and posted. Beware they do not support the consumer.

Deaf & Discriminated against SHAME ON THEM

October 4th, 2019 Bakersfield, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

In order to get a listing they demand that; (email sent to me "we will be reaching out to you via telephone soon to validate the listing. Once we speak with you, your listing will be posted to our network of sites" unquote) I AM HARD OF HEARING AND CAN'T "SPEAK WITH THEM" ON THE PHONE- they refuse to publish 4 listings i've sent them - THIS IS NASTY DISCRIMINATION AGAINST DEAF/DISABLED PEOPLE IN THE WORST WAY! SHAME ! SHAME ! SHAME ! SHAME ! SHAME !

Fran H

August 12th, 2019 North Richland Hills, TX

I listed my home on apartments.com and within 2 weeks had 3 offers. It works. Don't listen to these other people that say homes are scams. I don't know, I just know it really worked well for me, and my renters are super happy also!

Beth Rivera

June 18th, 2019 Jacksonville, FL

I think apartments.com is fraudulent. I posted an ad for my rental. They called and left a message to call 844-293-8899. The clerk I spoke with said I do not own my property. Which is wrong. I asked for evidence of that. The young sounding cletk said the county records showed that. I asked what division of the county because I have my warranty deed and tax records. He asked for my home's address and said he wanted to go with that address instead. I told him that it is my rental not my home that is for rent. He said he will pull my ad. Something's not right with this company. The telephone number that I was provided and called for this alleged verifcation is 844-293-8899.

Corey Hampton

May 20th, 2019 Los Angeles, CA

Apartments.com steals ads I post on craigslist to make it look like they have a customer. They also put the wrong price which puts me in a situation of telling the person calling that the ad is a scam. Jeff Goldbloom ads are pathetic for a company that pretends to have customers when in fact they steal ads. My ad was copy and pasted, but with wrong rent amount.

Steven Wagner

April 29th, 2019 Longmont, CO

The star rating system means nothing. An apartment with mostly 1 star reviews will have a 5 star overall review. I can only assume they are selling star ratings. Which lost of people do but at the time of this review right above the star rating is says, "CoStar verified" which at first I thought mean that some reviews were verified. It's not. I think it's the "star" in the name that did it. I don't think this went unnoticed by Dark Lord Apartments.com who assume is the current owner. Also, they give you the number of reviews next to the stars which clearly seems to indicate the stars are an averaged amount, which they are not. In fact, it seems the star rating at the top of the page means literally nothing.

George Papios

April 26th, 2019 Colorado Springs, CO

The Parc at Briargate in Colorado springs Colorado the staff there are so amazing i needed to get an apartment ASAP and the Manager Jennifer was so great she made sure that she got in touch with her coorperate office to get me approved before the weekend started so we could move in asap also there maitinence staff is truly the best when something needs to be fixed they are right on it and if there is any delays they make sure they let us know if you are looking for a rental property i highly recommend tHE Parc at Briargate in Colorado Springs

JP

April 24th, 2019 North Palm Beach, FL

Ratings on Apartments.com are inaccurate. Listings with nothing but 1 and 2 star reviews are shown as having an overall 4 or 5 star average. They must be getting paid by the companies in order to show false ratings. Complete waste of time to even use this website to search for an apartment, especially since they let you narrow down your search to only 4 or 5 star listings. What is the point if it isn't accurate? There are plenty of other websites that are more useful and accurate, and way less shady.

Moon Choi

February 27th, 2019 Torrance, CA

apartment.com shows 5 star on the apartment that has only 10 reviews of 1 star. They should show the correct data on their website.

B

February 20th, 2019 Milwaukee, WI

Biased reviews for certain. Ive lived in an apartment for about a year, had to get police, dept of fair trade and consumer protection as well as housing division of equal rights invovled to get a bad landlord to act right . When I went ot leave an hoenst review of my experience apartments.com repeatedly deleted it. Super sketchy.

Angie

January 22nd, 2019 Fall River, MA

This site is a joke many of the properties are for sale not rent and when you reply to one you get a spam letter trying to get info money etc. BEWARE OF THIS SITE!!!!

Joshua Ryan

January 18th, 2019 Mesa, AZ

They deleted my negative review without giving any reasoning. Like others, it was appropriately worded with plenty of examples as to my reasoning. A questionably trustworthy site at best.

Rozain Casie-Chitty

January 10th, 2019

Apartments. com does not entertain any negative reviews about apartments. It gives me the idea they are being funded by the apartment companies.

Tammy

November 25th, 2018 Laurel Hill, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They let angry tenants (usually the ones breaking rules or not paying rents) bad mouth landlords and don't care if what they post is true or not. Don't pay for their service. They will still advertise your apartments inaccurately with a paid account or not.

CL

November 21st, 2018 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Apartments.com is very bias. I posted a review on my old apartment twice. They keep deleting it. No foul language, insults, any of that. Just an honest review. This apartment (Solis Berewick) have a 5 star rating with them, but over half of their 10 reviews are 1 star.

ALBERT COHEN

November 14th, 2018 Corona, NY

Posted a apartment on the Apartments.com took 15 mins not bad . Then it asked me to call a number to expedite my request ok ? Then i was asked to check my email to verify email address ? OK , NOW I CHECKED LISTING AND IT CHANGED THE ADDRESS CALLED THEY ASKED ME TRY AGAIN ? I SUBMITTED THE LISTING AGAIN AND CHANGED THE ADDRESS NOW TOTAL TIME SPENT 1 HOUR WITH NO LISTING POSTED CALL CUSTOMER CARE THEY ASKED ME TO SUBMIT A TICKET BY EMAILING TECH SUPPORT REALLY !!! GREAT CUSTOMER SUPPORT !!! LAZY !!! BIG WEBSITE WITH NO CLUE ON WHATS GOING ON !!! DONT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH SITE !

Becca

November 7th, 2018 San Antonio, TX

I used their information to rent an apartment that is absolutely horrible. The complex had a cesspool for a hot tub and old mattress parts in the breezeways (not to be outdone by the rotting trash and cat feces). Apartments.com gave this complex five stars and has no way for me to add my opinion. I am stuck in a lease, and counting the days to my escape. (Did I mention I have no running water right no--no advanced notice either. Apartments.com must have some kind of deal going, either that or they can't do math. Either way stay away from this business and their self-serving reviews.

Jan Richards

October 2nd, 2018 Boston, MA

Not only is this a user friendly site, but it brought me to an outstanding realtor at the Westminster Lofts in Providence RI Michael D is a true professional. He listens and gets a sense of what you will like and will not waste your time. He is also friendly and patient. Great guy and great Leasing Specialist!

Audrey

September 27th, 2018 Moreno Valley, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Don't bother looking at houses for rent on this site. A majority of these houses for rent are scams (scams that are easy to see and others that really have you going for your money)- and I was scammed nearly $2000 three-quarters of the way of completing a contract. Don't trust the information this site has on both apartments and houses- most of it is false or the apartments' in question don't work with this website on advertising at all. So much of it is misinformation and scams.

Leslie Short

September 12th, 2018 Stone Mountain, GA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company took over After55 and wrecked the company. Seniors picked up After55's magazine in supermarkets and drug stores and they were a reliable source for leads. When they stopped printing, they wrongly assumed all readers would turn to the internet. No way 65+ seniors are going to search there. They completely lost their entire target market and advertisers - they literally trashed the company. Trying to work with them now? No way. Horrible customer service and response times. The company is too big and no one is accountable - they pass you from one person to another. Everyone in our community has cancelled and we do not foresee a resurrection of this company any time in the future.

Nicholas

August 31st, 2018 Baltimore, MD

Apartment's com started allowing real estate agents to list their rentals, which sounded really great. NONE of my actual listings were ever approved after the review period, but suddenly I was bombarded with approvals for listings in other cities and states that clearly were NOT mine. I got e-mails stating that my password had changed, etc. I called Apartments.com, and they said "Oh, hope you didn't click anything. You got phished." Their overall attitude was one of "Oh, well. It happens." I deleted my account that day out of frustration, so my experience was pretty brief.

Kim Hadden

August 30th, 2018 Concord, NC

I posted a review for the horrible apartment complex I've lived in for 4 months. I wondered how the only existing reviews for the complex were all 5 stars. Now I know. They have deleted my review and I've reposted it 3 times and now I seem to be blocked from reposting my review. If you want REAL reviews of apartment s Do Not rely on apartments.com

Charlie

August 29th, 2018 New York, NY

Units listed are not actually available. Instead, they use the units online that don't SEEM to be listed on other sites to lure you in. Then they'll bait and switch you and connect you with a broker instead. Don't waste your time, just look on Zillow or Streeteasy yourself instead. Shady company.

Spencer

August 15th, 2018 Blackfoot, ID

After apartment hunting for a few months without even knowing this site existed I started receiving emails from them. I have no idea how they managed to get my email, but now I've received email after email of personally unrelatable garbage even after marking it all as spam and unsubscribing.

Violetta

August 5th, 2018 Mountlake Terrace, WA

I just submitted a very detailed and honest review of my experience in Lakeside Apartments in Mountlake Terrace, WA and apartments.com saw fit to reject it, citing that I did not follow guidelines. I read over the guidelines and do not see where I violated these. Other sites have posted my review.

Keyuan Wu

August 3rd, 2018 Brooklyn, NY

Don't trust this website. Look at this building https://www.apartments.com/bsm-elmhurst-ny/nzyl29p/ It has three reviews. one is 1 start, one is 3 stars, and one is 4 stars, but why it's a 5 stars building overall. Cheat and scam.

Delores Merritt-Brown

June 8th, 2018 Cincinnati, OH

Wellington Place was just the place we were looking. After searching for a townhouse with all of the perks we wanted Wellington Place even offered more. The office staff is completely equipped with the caring attitude that comes with knowledge in serving others. Thank you

James

May 25th, 2018 Denver, CO

My apartment complex is horrible and rated 2.5 stars average at every other review site. Apartments.com says it is 4 out of 5 stars, even though out if the 8 total reviews there are 5 one star ratings, 1 two star, 1 three star and only one obviously fake 5 star rating. How is this 4 stars?

Rick F.

May 12th, 2018 Boulder, CO

I am a disabled veteran who was mistreated by landlord from Griffs Residential. I placed a negative review, and apartments.com deleted it. I reported a review that was negative, short and they deleted it again. They are frauds and only post the positive reviews to the apartments who pay them every month for this protection. Apartments.com should be the last place to go for an honest review!

Kim

May 4th, 2018 Grandview, MO

I just can’t believe what just happened. I was interested in this house and was told it was for rent. I contacted the agent Eric Walker and set a schedule time with him to look at it. He also had me confirm the meeting 2 hours prior to looking at it. When I arrived for the meeting to look at the house, he arrived 20 minutes late and then relayed the message to me that the house was already rented out to someone else. That is totally unacceptable and very unprofessional of him. You think that a man in his profession would understand how stressful looking for a new house would be and for him to not only be late, but to waste my time as well is very disappointing......

Rachel Thaman

April 13th, 2018 Cincinnati, OH

They listed my property without my permission or knowledge. I was contacted by potential tenants who informed me. In addition the information was not even correct.

Timothy Mills

March 29th, 2018 Crothersville, IN

Tried to leave an honest review of a co.plex. apartments.com rejected it. Now people will be moving into a bad neighborhood with very poor management and service. It's sad really how they manipulate people.

Nora

March 27th, 2018 San Francisco, CA

I tried advertising my rentals with Apartments.com. I have never received any "real" leads except for property managers asking if I would like to use their services. All of my leads come from Craigslist. I was wondering how this can be. I think certain property managers have some kind of deal with Apartments.com. So I did some research to review Apartments.com. From reading the reviews here, I can see why I'm not getting any leads from Apartment.com. I'm removing my account/info from Apartments.com.

Marvin Walker

March 26th, 2018 Milwaukee, WI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I've been a resident at The Coventry Apartments for twenty years and have enjoyed every minute. A quiet well kept complex with a vibrant community. Close by to a major college, shopping center and a world class lakefront. A suburban environment with an urban atmosphere. Come join our community.

Tina Vandivier

December 27th, 2017 Arlington, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

As a property manager, I refuse to use Apartments.com, and for multiple reasons: - Pricing is never correct. People call looking for apartments significantly under the actual price. Try to fix it? Yea. That takes days before someone reviews and approves the change. Tell me, why does a company that knows nothing about my property have to approve a change that I made? - The money you spend on advertising isn't put to getting leads for your property. They spend more money on their ridiculous advertising tactics for their own benefit. How is Jeff Goldblum bringing me more renters? How is a one-trick tablet advertisement I get in the mail each year (no, that's not a joke) increasing my traffic? Answer is it doesn't. - Sales will bring all of these reports saying that leads increase by 200%! Wow! Well, it doesn't matter if none of those leads are qualified. Anyways, they try to sell you on a 'Platinum Package', which will make all of the leads see your page. Well, unless the property down the street also buys the Platinum Package, and the 4 properties around the corner, and 6 more the next street over. They have no limit on how many properties can opt into the highest package. Then on the prospect side, it is giving them a bunch of properties that paid top dollar for ads instead of properties that match the preferences they selected/need. - Cancellation of service. I terminated our contract for my property. They do not generate half as many leads as other similar sites. However, you better believe I get an email and a call at least once a month afterwards, starting only 2 weeks after I told the area sales rep every reason I terminated. - When I did have a contract with them, I opted out of posting reviews to the site. Reviews are great, but all of the reviews that Apartments.com will approve/post are only 5-star reviews. Not everyone is going to like a property, and that's ok. People have different needs and preferences, and no apartment building can match all of them for everyone. It just doesn't work that way. Instead of being honest and letting people make a decision for themselves, Apartments.com wants to oversell you on something you may get to and decide is not for you. Renters, don't waste your time. Property Managers, save your money and find other ways to reach out to renters.

Shawna Johnson

December 18th, 2017 Louisville, KY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

DO NOT USE THIS SITE! REVIEWS ARE BIASED. They deny any review under 5 stars. I've tested this theory multiple times. And the rent prices are fake. Way below the actual current renting price. If I could give 0 stars I would.

Lindsey

December 9th, 2017 American Fork, UT

I've used apartments.com to find an apartment to rent, but it didn't have as many options available as other search engines.

Dustin Tsu

September 20th, 2017 Los Angeles, CA

Multiple fake/false ads with listing prices WAY below market. These are FAKE ads, so if you're not getting responses, this is why. Worst part is, these fake ads are deliberately put up by Apartments.com.

Brian

September 18th, 2017 North Hills, CA

FOR LANDLORDS: It can take several days for your listing to be reviewed and put on site. This may work in slow markets, but in competitive markets its a waste. I've put several listings up on Apartments.com and craigslist. I get responses almost immediately from craigslist and can usually rent the apartment to a qualified tenant before Apartments.com even finishes reviewing my listing.

Steven Hudig

September 2nd, 2017

They do not allow reviews under five stars. Really, not worth the effort of even looking at.

Eileen R White

July 27th, 2017 Baltimore, MD

This is a review about the courtyard apartments and how they put out a elderly woman out of her home just because she had help from her grown children that was there for her because of her disability , I wouldn't recommend anyone to live at the courtyard apartments because these people have no compassion for the people at all , there concern is only about there job

Cheryl Justyce

July 13th, 2017 Milwaukee, WI

You cannot post an honest review here at all because the site is run by a bunch of liberals who are more interested in their own sad little fragile snowflake liberal feelings than they are with an honest and descriptive review. They rejected my very descriptive review and the only thing they didn't seem to like is I mentioned the word "Indians", in that a lot of people from India live in the complex and sometimes the curry smell in the hallway is very overwhelming, which may be a problem to people with allergies. Apparently using the word "Indian" is forbidden... how else do you describe someone from "India"? Want me to just change it to "Brown skin folks from south of China" or something? Talk about pointless liberal nazi-esque moderation. THIS IS A LEGITIMATE REVIEW ABOUT THE COMPANY IN QUESTION!

Emiliano Herran

June 25th, 2017 Knoxville, TN

I manage apartment buildings and post my own ads but have never posted them through apartments.com. Now I am getting phone calls on 2 apartment rentals that apartments.com has on their website and I DO NOT have any apts. available for rent right now. They have stolen my photos from old ads, the information is wrong, the prices are wrong and my phone hasn't stopped ringing because they have FAKE ads up of mine! I was told by customer service that their research affiliate Co-Star probably put them up and there's not a single thing they can do about it and also they can't (more likely WON'T) for some idiotic reason remove the fake ads for my properties . I will NEVER EVER in the future give any information about my rentals to “research” companies that call me on the phone. Shame on apartments.com for advertising false information and wasting my time on the phone explaining to apartment hunters why I don't have anything for rent. I tell them that it's a false ad apartments.com has posted without my permission or prior knowledge. I will never recommend apartments.com for ANYTHING!