PetFirst

verified
PetFirst Logo

PetFirst

verified
One of the fastest-growing pet health insurance companies in North America

The majority of PetFirst reviews (read below) indicate that the company offers an appropriate amount of coverage, friendly and responsive staff members, as well as a quick turnaround time for claims. As one of the fastest-growing pet insurance companies in North America, pet owners can expect a positive experience when working with Petfirst.

Here's a bit about how the company got started and how they're doing today:

After having to put his dog down, co-founder Brent Hinton, knew he wanted to find a way to help other pet parents make veterinary care decisions without having to worry about all the financial considerations. In 2004, Hinton and Lansdon Robbins, started PetFirst.

Today PetFirst has some of the shortest wait periods in the industry for accident and illness coverage for cats and dogs. PetFirst strives to provide all its customers with a WOW experience and works hard to provide less hassle and more coverage.

The company aims to help thousands of families with their pets' veterinary care and boasts having some of the best insurance policies on the market.

The Good

• Age for Enrollment
  • Plan Options
  • Routine Care Add-On
  • Waiting Periods

Age for Enrollment

Pet owners can enroll their pet for a plan here regardless of the pet's age. As long as the pet is eight weeks or older, any pet qualifies for some coverage with PetFirst.

Plan Options

PetFirst's Insurance offers comprehensive pet insurance plans. Members can customize their deductible and reimbursement rates to best suit their needs. PetFirst's most popular pet insurance options are:

Cost Conscious

• Annual Benefit : $2,000

Recommended

• Annual Benefit: $5,000

Additional Coverage

• Annual Benefit: $10,000
  • Eligible Ages: All

Coverage includes accidents, illnesses (hereditary, congenital, and chronic conditions), hospitalizations, surgeries, diagnostic tests, exam fees, x-rays, ultrasounds, medications, holistic care, and alternative therapies as well as emergency care.

After a 12-month waiting period, pets are also covered for Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD), Anterior Cruciate Ligaments, Medical Cruciate, Posterior Cruciate Ligaments, and Cranial Cruciate Ligaments.

Routine Care Add-On

The base plans here don't cover routine care, but there are three options for adding routine care coverage onto a plan. Through these, members can receive up to $125, $250, or $400 for things like vet exams, vaccines, flea and heartworm prevention, and behavioral training.

Waiting Periods

The waiting period for illness coverage here is the same as a lot of other pet insurance companies—14 days. However, the wait for accident coverage is much shorter, being available just one day after enrollment.

The Bad

• Annual Deductible Not Available in All States
  • No Mobile App
  • What's Not Covered

Annual Deductible Not Available in All States

PetFirst offers both per-incident and annual deductible plans. However, the annual deductible plan is not offered in every state.

No Mobile App

Unlike some of its competitors, the company hasn't developed a mobile app for members to more easily access their accounts and file claims. Members can most easily do this online on a browser.

What's Not Covered

All pet insurance companies have exclusions to their insurance plans. However, it is important to be aware of these exclusions.

PetFirst does not cover:

• Pre-existing conditions
  • Elective procedures
  • Expression or removal of anal glands or anal sacculitis
  • Breeding or conditions related to breeding
  • Pet food, special diet, vitamins, and mineral supplements
  • Grooming costs and bathing (including medicated baths)
  • Parasite prevention, parasite treatment, and illnesses transmitted by parasites (including fleas and ticks)
  • Orthodontics, endodontics and removal of deciduous teeth
  • Behavioral training
  • Illness or injury which arises out of racing, coursing, commercial guarding, or organized fighting of a pet
  • Routine wellness and preventative care
  • Organ transplants

The Bottom Line

PetFirst strives to provide pet owners with comprehensive pet insurance plans that will work for any pet regardless of breed or age. There are a few minor inconvenient aspects to PetFirst's plans, such as no mobile app, and the annual deductible not being available in every state; but other than that PetFirst makes an excellent choice for pet owners.

Members can visit any vet, emergency clinic or specialist in the U.S., enroll a pet of any breed or age, find a plan designed to fit their budget and add on a routine or wellness packages.

Brinley Knowles
January 17th, 2019 Smithfield, UT DETAILS

My husband and I have a couple dogs and we enrolled them for a plan with Pet First. It was so great working with them because there was no age limit needed for our dogs for them to qualify. They were great to work with and answered all of my questions.

Theresa
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

I've been with them for years. I was having some issues with getting reimbursed for several claims when my dog got sick and they were very good about helping me figure out what was going on so I could get my claims repaid. I think there could be more options. It seems to get more expensive and sometimes when you use it, I feel like you get penalized or you have to get ninety thousand pieces of paper to prove your dog was sick so it can be frustrating that way.

Lorraine
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Whenever I had an issue or problem, the customer service people are very swift to take care of it. I think the cost is fair. They accept different modalities of treatments for the dog as far as acupunture goes and natural supplements.

December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

The customer service people are really friendly, but I'm not happy about the way they pay their claims. I had some issues with regarding to pre-existing conditions that were very frustrating.

John
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

They've been available anytime I've ever had an issue or had to call. I never had a problem. They're very responsive and I can always get ahold of somebody. They have a very quick turn around as long as the doctor signs the proper forms and I usually have a check within a couple of weeks or so.

Deborah
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

They are always responsive to any request that I send. They settle the claims in a timely manner and I think they fairly settle the claims. Our rescue dog ended up being very sick and had very serious health problems and PetFirst did not cancel the insurance they continued to pay for our claims for the fifteen months that we had her and our vet told us that if it had not been for us having the insurance her medical bills would have been astronomical and she probably would not have lived as long as she did so it was just the peace of mind of having the insurance so that we could enjoy our for baby as long as we had.

Kathy
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

It's absolutely the best. Anytime I call them, I talked to someone. I don't have to record my message. They know who you are and know your account number. It's very personal. You have your own level that you would like to have as your insurance. I like the fact that they can communicate with you either by email or they let you know they've received your plicy and whatever you send to them to be covered. They let you know they received it and once it got there, they decide how it will be dealt with.

Karen
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

Recently, when my dog had to go to the vet and I submitted the forms for reimbursement, they were responsive and not all of it got picked up, but at least half of it got paid. They don't cover everything, but they do cover the major stuff and they're easy to work with.

Debbie
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

It doesn't cover nationally. Somebody had called me to change my insurance to give me a better plan and they wanted my credit card and I wouldn't give it to them because they initiated the call. Then I called them back to give my credit card, they said it was denied so I was just very concerned about that and I didn't get the better price so that was an issue.

Arlene
December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

I've had them for twelve years. Whenever I call, everybody is very pleasant. Everybody wants to help me. I have a dog that's going through chemo. He has extensive bills and right now we're over our limits, so they send me letters when I send the reports to them. They come back and say, I'm sorry, you're over the limit.

December 13th, 2018 DETAILS

I always get an answer to a question that I've asked. They are making policy changes and then pre-exisiting conditions don't really add up. I love Petfirst, I love everything about it. I just I think the hard part is that it's an insurance company. You can only insure so much and I think when you've been with the company for as long as I have and especially with this last pet that I've had, has had some issues.

Kay
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

My medic recommended it to me. I've never had any other pet insurance so I can't say from other experiences but they pay promptly and paid good.

Bobby
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

We have older dogs and they cover all emergency room visits which won't alter dog. They don't cover like everyday stuff; they don't cover their shot or routine stuff at least in the plan. We choose them because they had different offering than other insuring and price. They always answer the phone and they pay quickly.

Ronnie
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

We saw it on brochure in our vet's office so that's how we got it. I say its good as the best and better than the rest, good service and really the reason we're there and stayed there all these years The customer service is excellent always top on service, always treated highly. The two vets are both excellent.

Bettina
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I choose Petfirst because I could have two dogs on it for the one amount. I like it because I can use it it's insurance for either or both of the two dogs I own. There are some things I feel should be covered by are not.

Derek
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I had it previously from my other bulldogs and I thought they did a pretty fair coverage for my bulldog's. I have had a positive experience with them. They give me the best feedback and guidance. I would probably recommend to other pet owners. I think it's a fair reimbursement and quality insurance.

Christine
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I'm able to get that writers that I need to properly care for my pet. They always respond in a timely manner. As I've gone along through the years with them and the underwriters change the amount of insurance that I'm able to carry on my pet or they percentage of deductible and things like that has changed and it kind of frustrated me. I have recommended pet first to other pet owners and I will continue to do so.

Joseph
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I've had it for so long, there were not a whole lot of choices when I got it. They don't argue with the claims that are submitted unless it is a preexisting condition. They've always answered my questions and they seem very willing to listen to what my concerns are.

Genelle
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I have one negative thing to say is that it takes it was taking a very long time to get an answer of whether my claim was covered or not and then to get the check in the mail last couple times it's been a lot better but there was a time where it was very slow. I like the prices and I like the coverage. I've never had any problems with customer service they have always answered my calls promptly and answered all my questions. Compared to other plans are, I think it has the best. I have been recommending.

Paul
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I found them online. I have had a few questions on the pet first insurance. There was advertised that there was a issue with the pet that cost like five thousand dollars or something and pet first took care of it no problem but I have a maximum of one thousand dollars on my policy, that's all you could get of that kind, I don't know where that came from as far as having that much insurance if you things kind of weird. There was an issue with reimbursement and what it what it is that they charged me twice for copay in the same issue with one of my animals and that was my understanding they only charge you once, so they went back, and they sent me a check for the copay that I shouldn't have paid. Other than that, they've been very pleasant on the phone and I really have no issues with them.

Kaye
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I would rate it very highly. I got Petfirst because it was recommended by the shelter from which adopted. I doesn't pay for anymore than it does for visits. It doesn't protect for heartworm which my dog had when I dropped it in.

Gloria
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

They're really a great company I have told many friends about them and I am glad that I had been made that decision and a few years ago. Whenever my vet send then claims, they get right to me and tell me they've received it and then they tell me it is accepted or denied it and they're right there. I wish they had dental for smaller dogs, I really need that, it seems like every time I take her to the vet that's what it's for.

Stefanie
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The shelter recommended them. They pay promptly, and they were all very helpful. I didn't have to file any complaints with my dog and I never had a problem with them. They help with the cost of my dog and I've never had insurance before and so it was really valuable when I did have my dog had that major surgery.

December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

It came with the adoption papers for my dog and I've researched it and it looks like a good company. It's covered most conditions that we've needed to for our dogs. Anytime I've had a problem I've had fairly easy.

Dawn
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

When I adopted my puppy she came with thirty days of insurance through Pet first so I just continued on with the same insurance. I have had nothing but great experience with their customer service, everything on my end, all my questions have been answered. I haven't had any issues.

Julie
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

Customer service is prompt but sometimes I don't understand why they don't cover certain bills.

Linda
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I would like to see a longer length of coverage for things that happened one year the pulled over into the next. We had one instance where they saw the problem with preexisting condition but when they got there, they immediately change the decision and paid the bill. I choose Petfirst because of price and coverage. Anytime I had to call them I've gotten instant and very thorough responses not always what I want to hear but I get a response.

Brenda
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

I like it haven't had any problems with it yet. Customer service seems knowledgeable when I called there and they seem willing to help. My experience has been positive because they've always answered questions and I didn't have to wait for a refund money coming back and stuff like that. We looked up online because we wanted to get pet insurance for our one dog and me and my husband decided that it looked pretty good and he called the people and that was really good insurance and so far it's been very good insurance.

Iiza
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

It just seems like a hassle to file any claims and get refunds.

Helen
December 12th, 2018 DETAILS

The rescue location recommended it, that is how we found it. As far as quality I don't know of any other plans but it serves my purpose. They paid for what is covered by the insurance really quickly.

December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They are very professional, courteous, and have timely service. I've had a good experience.

Kimberley
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They go above and beyond when I call with questions, they were very helpful and extremely patient. They explain things in a way that you can understand and you're not frustrated. Everything that a customer would want. I have never been upset with my coverage. They have taken care of everything for my dog. I think everybody should experience the same kind of experience Pet First does for me.

December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I've always found them very personable and helpful. They've always been very fair. I've had them for a long time so I've been quite satisfied.

Sandra
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I've had a good experience so far and I've gotten my answers quickly.

Stephen
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They've done everything as per the policy. They follow through with the policy. They made it very easy to just email them about diagnosis and treatments. They made it very easy for me to submit a claim.

Edward
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Honestly I don't remember how I find it or why I chose it. I've had it for almost twelve years now but they're amazing so I wouldn't use anybody else. I never had any issues with them at all. They're very quick to give us our refunds and their process is very simple. I've never had to reach out ot them for customer service because every step runs so smoothly as is. Right now my dog is going to cancer treatments and they've covered everything. We're doing both traditional medicine and holistic. They've covered surgeries and they even cover his Benadryl that he has to be on.

Alice
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

The customer service takes care of my problems pretty quickly. They basically pay a good percentage of the doctor bills but not all of it.

Stacy
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

The first bulldog I had for almost ten years ago, they were the only insurance company that would insure her with a pre-existing medical condition. They are always friendly when I call and explain things and answer my questions. I like that they include alternative treatments like acupuncture and laser therapy.

Regina
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They are very courteous and answered all my questions. I actually had something that was covered and I didn't even realize it. I will probably add another pet to the insurance eventually.

Cora
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They are personable and they gave me a nice investment. I intend to continue with them.

Linda
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They've always been very courteous and friendly after I call them.

Virginia
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They're very agreeable and they speak with you with an open heart. They've been very accommadating and when I call, they call me right back. They are very interested in their customers. They say what they mean and they do it.

Scott
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I like the online access and online filing. It would be nice if they would do online payments for our claims, direct deposit. You have to wait for a paper check in the mail.

Roselyn
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Their service usually covers most of my claims. I don't particularly like my rate raising every year.

Michael
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Every time I've called or had any kind of question, they're always very responsive.

Doreen
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I've been with them for several years and I find that they are very caring. It's not about the money. Which so many companies are about these days. I've had an amazing experience with them. I have a very quick claim process. They make it very easy. It's very streamlined and very efficient.

Ellen
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

Any phone call I've gotten has been returned. After I submit a claim, you tell me what you've given me and why. With other companies, I never knew what I was getting for, they just sent me a check and it wasn't a very big one. I'm disappointed that they won't cover her pulmonary hypertension. I didn't know she had it when I rescued her and now I'm stuck paying a lot of money for it but other than that they've covered everything else beautifully.

Laura
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They've been really good with working with me. If I had questions, they've been fairly quick answering.

Julie
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

They are great. Every time I call, they answer all my questions. I wasn't getting as much back as I thought I would on claims. The rates when up quite a bit and I had to cancel one of my policies.

Sharon
December 6th, 2018 DETAILS

I have 2 dogs. One is thirteen and one's twelve. I bought the insurance when I got my first little dog. She was about four months old. Pet First has always just been wonderful. They've paid the bills. They've been very helpful. I've not had any problems getting issues covered. I've had a couple of situations and still the representative has gone to bat for me. They just give an excellent service. I like that they don't work from a fee schedule.