eHarmony

verified
eHarmony Logo

eHarmony

verified
Uses scientific research to predict compatible relationships

eHarmony joined the dating scene in 2000 when Dr. Neil Clark Warren decided there was a better way to find love. Instead of just relying on luck, Dr. Warren found that if people were to find true, compatible partners, he would need to find what makes a long-term, fulfilling relationship successful.

Unlike other online dating sites, eHarmony's matchmaking services use scientific matching strategies that work with 29 Dimensions of Compatibility. When creating an eHarmony profile, users complete an intensive relationship questionnaire for compatibility matching with other members. Users are then given different membership options. eHarmony members can also receive expert advice on dating on and offline for free.

Read our eHarmony reviews (below) to see what other online daters are saying about this company.

The Good

• The eHarmony Guarantee
  • Relationship Questionnaire
  • Senior Dating
  • History of Success

The eHarmony Guarantee

eHarmony stands behind its services and genuinely wants to help its users find a meaningful relationship. That being said, the eHarmony Guarantee states that if an online dater is not satisfied with their matches in 3 months, eHarmony will allow that member to use the service for an additional 3 months at no cost. All eHarmony asks is that members to meet the following requirements:

• Completed Relationship Questionnaire
  • Completed Profile (with a minimum of 3 approved photos; profile must be completed within the first 5 days of the current subscription)
  • Sent or Replied a Qualifying Communication Form (from at least 5 other members; messages or favorites)
  • Subscribed to a 3-Month Membership (or more)*
  • Comply with the General Terms and Conditions

Members should be aware that the guarantee can only be redeemed once per account, and it is not transferrable and cannot be redeemed for money.

*Users may redeem guarantee prior to their expiration/renewal date by contacting customer care via phone, email, or chat.

Relationship Questionnaire

Upon signing up for the service, eHarmony members will be given the opportunity to fill out a series of questions related to their life and relationship wants needs and goals. eHarmony suggests users put aside at least 45 minutes to completely fill out the questionnaire. However, users have the option to save and come back to the questionnaire if they can’t complete it.

After completing the questionnaire, online daters can see their matches that meet their Match Preferences—location, age, etc. eHarmony states that filling out the questionnaire will set members up with people they have the most potential for a long-term relationship; based on its 29 Dimensions of Compatibility.

eHarmony experts have conducted and analyzed numerous studies of happy couples and found that there are 29 different personality factors that influence a couple.  These personality traits can generally be categorized within the following groups:

• Emotional Temperament
  • Social Style
  • Physicality
  • Relationship Skills
  • Values and Beliefs
  • Verification

Senior Dating

eHarmony states that the company is committed to helping men and women find love, no matter their age. In order to help seniors struggling with online dating, eHarmony offers a variety of dating resources on its free senior dating advice site. Older adults can get expert advice or talk with other members in the dating scene.

History of Success

eHarmony has helped 600,000 couples tie the knot and counting, with 438 marriages happening every day through their site... If these numbers are accurate, that means almost 4% of all marriages in the United States happened thanks to eHarmony.

The Bad

• Limited Free Account Features
  • Getting To Know Your Matches...Is Gonna Cost You
  • No Background Checks
  • Information Sharing

Limited Free Account Features

While it’s free for members to review their potential matches, members have to sign up for a premium account to start talking to any potential dates. Although it’s not uncommon in the industry, it can be frustrating for those not wanting to pay for a premium account. The free account does allow members to create a personality profile—members can include, physical appearance, personal characteristics, religious preferences, partner expectations, interests, opinions, relationship status, sexual orientation, looking for a long-term relationship or marriage, etc.

Getting To Know Your Matches...Is Gonna Cost You

After filling out the questionnaire eHarmony presents users with a few membership options.

Standard Plans

Online daters who select one of the following standard plans gain access to the following features: see who’s viewed you, unlimited messaging, view unlimited photos and access to more matches.

Standard Lite

Standard Extra

• 24-Month Plan
  • $17.95/month

Premium Plans

Along with the features from the standard plan, premium plan members can browse anonymously, receive read receipts on their messages, and be featured with Spotlight.

Premium Lite

Premium Extra

• 24-Month Plan
  • $21.95/month

No Background Checks

eHarmony does not currently conduct criminal background checks on its members. However, in the terms and conditions state that the company reserves the right to conduct a criminal background check at any time and using the available public records.

Information Sharing

As members use eHarmony, legally the online dating company can record and keep the information shared. The information collected may be used to improve its services or be collected as information for studies and similar companies around the world.

eHarmony members will also receive emails upon signing up. These emails sometimes come from eHarmony or other related brands. Members can choose to opt-out of these emails in their settings but should plan on receiving multiple emails daily from eHarmony or one of their partners.

eHarmony also discloses that if a member chooses to connect their account to their social media or social networking sites, the company has permission to use the information collected. The terms and conditions state, “By connecting the eHarmony account to a social networking site, members consent to the continuous release of information to eHarmony.”

The Bottom Line

If you're serious about joining an online dating site, eHarmony seems to have the best value for their matchmaking services. This may not be the greatest choice for those who prefer a short-term relationship or "hook-up" type dates, but this is a promising option for those hoping to find true love online.

eHarmony offers members a free version or members can pay for a subscription to receive several added features. Although users will probably get more out of their online dating experience with the paid subscription; the free version only offers limited communication, but still allows users a chance to access eHarmony and date members online without paying up front.

The eHarmony mobile app is available in either the iTunes store or Google Play.

2.3

Reese
May 10th, 2019 Pleasant Grove, UT DETAILS

eHarmony lives up to the name as it harmoniously helped me find people I had things in common with. It was very professional and safe and made it so easy. I was able to take the next step in relationships and should have done it earlier.

Francesco Barravecchia
April 1st, 2019 DETAILS

it claim hundred of thousands of members, but they must be very well hidden. The 'scientific' matching is totally ridiculous and many of the messages received from other members are repeated, indicating bots. I made a mistake subscribing and I would NOT recommend it to anybody

Steve
March 7th, 2019 League City, TX DETAILS

eHarmony has been a complete waste of my time and money. The principal problem for me has been that the vast bulk of the matches that I've received appear to be inactive. In two months, I've sent out approximately 35 messages to women I've been matched with. Of those, only 6 or 7 have even looked at my profile. Of those 6 or 7, one briefly responded (the interaction went nowhere). I'm fine with people not wanting to respond, and I'm not so naive as to expect a tremendous response rate, but when so few are even looking at my profile, that means most of them aren't active users. I shouldn't receive matches from inactive users. Very, very few of my matches had the green light, meaning they've been active within 24 hours, or the yellow light, meaning they've been active within 2 days. The only two real communications I had were both from people who had "smiled" at me first. That's great and I'm happy that they did (I met one of those two people in real life and found that she looked so dramatically different in person than in her profile that I walked right past her in a restaurant without recognizing her), but it got to the point that I knew look at any of the matches and sending messages was totally pointless. Second, in the first week or so, I received many matches per day - sometimes more than 10. After that, though, the number dwindled down to no more than 4, sometimes 1 or even zero, and most of them were clearly not women who I would either be interested in or compatible with. I've tried Match.com, as well, and it at least has the advantage of identifying active members, so I'd recommend Match over eHarmony.

Edward
January 17th, 2019 DETAILS

Apologies for length, but this seems to be a genuinely serious issue, and I hope you will read it through. Well, the jury is still out, and I am still a member. l want to qualify something first. I am not some disgruntled complainer with an axe to grind. Certainly, I am not the ULTIMATE good-looking, wealthiest stud on eHarmony, but my profile and photos are pretty decent. Here's my point. After 6 weeks I have received 327 "compatible" matches, and despite reaching out with either a "smile" and/or a short, friendly message to many, I have received only 2 "smiles" and 2 reply messages, or less than a 1% response rate. I have received zero contact from the other 250 ish women that I did not yet reach out to. One other thing: there have been only about 17 visits to look at my profile. That means that out of 327 "compatible" matches, 310, or 95%, didn't even bother to take a look at my profile. So, this isn't about hurt feelings or rejection whatsoever. Honestly. What is striking is that these percentages (which are completely accurate) don't even enter the realm of "statistical error", they are so small. The only conclusion I can come up with is that a large number of these so-called "compatible matches" are from old, inactive profiles. This seems to be corroborated by the fact that several of my "new list of daily matches" have included old, recycled profiles that I had seen before. Finally, a friend who is also on eHarmony described a very similar experience to mine during this same time period after I shared my story with her, and she would probably fit into the top 15% of most men's idea of desirable. I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems that eHarmony might be stuffing the site with non-existent profiles to make the selection of potential matches look larger than it is. I am going to follow up on this.

Hailey Nilson
January 16th, 2019 Salt Lake City, UT DETAILS

EHarmony is great! It’s super easy to use and it narrowed down and matches you to people that you’d genuinely be interested in.

Disatisfied Customer
December 18th, 2018 St. Petersburg, FL DETAILS

Can I give zero stars? Their matches for myself, an attractive 58 year old female with a masters degree, were anywhere from 76 year old men to men with barely a high school education. The site repeatedly changed my age preferences and stated I needed to broaden my preferences in order to get more matches. I contacted eharmony and received no response. Save your money....

Patrick
November 16th, 2018 Mountain View, CA DETAILS

I had an eHaronmy account about a year ago. I canceled it and told them to remove my profile. They acknowledged that they would remove my profile. A relationship I had started fell through because the woman I was seeing thought I was still trolling for dates because my profile still appeared to be active. I then reactivated the account and found they had left my profile active all that time, making mine a "ghost" account. There were scores of "matches" during that time. Those women must have thought I was a snob for not replying to them. This appears to be how eHarmony inflates the number of accounts presented to users. Unwitting users like me are turned into shills in eHarmomy's fraudulent user-inflation scam. I also found about 25% of accounts were "catfishers." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfishing for a description of that type of scam. I work for a federal agency and I've been trained to spot catfishers because they often exploit male federal employees by accusing them of sexual misconduct ("but if you give my Uncle Sasha some secrets, I'll forget about calling the police"). I found that many of the photos were "scraped" (copied) from commercial ads and magazine articles appearing on line. I confirmed that by copying the profile photo and running it through Google image search (images.google.com). So if you use eHarmony, prepare to be scammed both by eHarmony and by its users.

Laura Maddux
January 16th, 2017 Beaumont, TX

eHarmony barely sends me matches (none for an entire week, even though I live close to one of the biggest cities in America), doesn't match me appropriately , and makes it impossible to get a refund even though they don't keep up their end. I signed up for eHarmony based on their promise to match me with compatible matches. They have not done so. I have a doctorate, and I have settings saying education is very important. They consistently match me with people who have only a high school or BA degree. I have my location settings at 150 miles, yet most of my matches are farther away. Many of the matches I get are not active on the site. I believe they have deleted their profiles (my brother did so 2 years ago, yet his profile showed up as a match on my site.) It should not count as sending me matches if those people aren't even available. I also indicate that Christianity is very important to me, but many of those i'm matched with do not share this. I sent in feedback once, but never got a response. I have tried to do so again, but now the feedback button doesn't work on any of my devices. There is no other way to contact them by phone or online. I've submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, but of course they say they make no guarantees of matching me. I suppose they could send me no matches for the entire time, and just say they couldn't find any. Overall, I believe eHarmony is engaging in fraudulent business practices by not abiding by their commitment to sending quality MATCHES. Those they send are either not available or not matches. I wanted my money back when I realized this within the first few days, but they make it impossible to get one since I don't live in LA (to walk a cancellation in), and it would cost as much to send a telegraph as the subscription.

Anita
July 15th, 2016

I paid over $300.00 OVER for a year subscription, been scammed by more men than anything, I will cancel my subscription at the end of the year, the TV commercials are a freakin joke and so is the site, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this dating site to anyone, AGAIN WASTED MY MONEY...

Rick Sojack
September 14th, 2015 San Jose, CA

Good dating app for finding love

Jacqueline Jelsma
June 17th, 2015 Brookings, SD

My husband and I both used the free weekend and we both chose each other apparently and now we are happily married. I highly recommend eHarmony because I never would have found him any other way

Rhonda
June 15th, 2015 Miami, FL

This is a Wonderful concept: sort of Christian site, deep character analysis, etc. , but my experience was very unsuccessful. I met one man in maybe seven years of on and off membership. He didn't strike me as someone I'd click with. I've met married men and while that's almost unavoidable I was happy with the way eHarmony removed him immediately. My main issue with eHarmony is the amount of men "not" actually on eHarmony. I'm now one of those people whose profile is likely counted but who don't ever go on the site. When I see free communications weekend advertised I know that the people probably feel the way that I do. Hopeless. I would love to provide greater insight and maybe even help with redirecting the site because I think it is so important to us finding one another. I'm putting in a lot of effort on other sites just to meet my mate