eHarmony Logo

eHarmony

4.0

LAST UPDATED: January 16th, 2022

eHarmony joined the dating scene in 2000 when Dr. Neil Clark Warren a clinical psychologist with a master's degree in Divinity, decided there was a better way to find love. Instead of just relying on luck, Dr. Warren found that if people were to find true, compatible partners, he would need to find what makes a long-term, fulfilling relationship successful.

Note: While the brand previously ran a sister site called Compatible Partners for people seeking same-sex relationships, this site was integrated into the standard eHarmony site in 2019. Now users just set their preferences when creating their eHarmony account and profile.

What is the eHarmony signup process like?

Consumers can sign up for this dating platform on the web or through mobile apps. The free eHarmony app is available for Android and Apple devices. In-app purchases will apply if you wish to upgrade to an eHarmony subscription.

Unlike other online dating sites and mobile dating apps, eHarmony's matchmaking services uses a scientific matching algorithm encompassing 32 Dimensions of Compatibility. When creating an eHarmony profile, users complete an intensive relationship questionnaire for compatibility matching with other members. Users are then given different membership options. eHarmony members can also receive expert advice on dating on and offline for free.

eHarmony customer support is available 24/7 via an online submission form, as well as on-site live chat.

Read eHarmony reviews and complaints to see what other online daters are saying about their experience with this dating app.

The Good

• The eHarmony Guarantee
  • Relationship Questionnaire and Matching System
  • Senior Dating Advice
  • History of Success

The eHarmony Guarantee

eHarmony stands behind its services and genuinely wants to help its users find meaningful connections. That being said, the eHarmony Guarantee states that if an online dater is not satisfied with their matches in three months, eHarmony will allow that member to use the service for an additional three months at no cost.

All eHarmony asks is that members meet the following requirements:

• Complete the Relationship Questionnaire
  • Build a profile (with a minimum of 3 approved photos; profile must be completed within the first 5 days of the current subscription)
  • Send or reply to a Qualifying Communication Form (from at least 5 other members; messages or favorites)
  • Be a paying member for at least a 3-month paid membership
  • Comply with the General Terms and Conditions

Members should be aware that the guarantee can only be redeemed once per account, and it is non-transferable and cannot be redeemed for money.

*Users may redeem guarantee prior to their expiration/renewal date by contacting customer care via phone, email, or chat.

Relationship Questionnaire and Matching System

When signing up for this online dating platform, users fill out a compatibility test. The eHarmony questionnaire is comparable to a personality test mixed with questions about relationship wants, needs, and goals.

While it previously took about 45 minutes to fill out the online questionnaire, the number of questions has been reduced and takes about 20 minutes to complete. However, users have the option to save and come back to the dating site later to complete the remaining questions.

After completing the compatibility quiz, each user can see their matches that meet their Match Preferences — location, age, etc. The aim of this drawn-out registration process is to help users find compatible matches, rather than just view the full pool of local singles. eHarmony states that its compatibility matching system aims to set members up with people they have the most potential for a long-term relationship with, based on its 32 Dimensions of Compatibility.

eHarmony experts have conducted and analyzed numerous studies of happy couples and found that there are many personality factors that influence a compatible match. These personality traits can generally be categorized within the following groups:

• Emotional Temperament
  • Social Style
  • Physicality
  • Relationship Skills
  • Values and Beliefs

Senior Dating Advice

eHarmony states that the company is committed to helping men and women find love, no matter their age. In order to help seniors struggling with online dating, eHarmony offers a variety of dating resources on its free senior dating advice site. Older adults can get expert advice or talk with other members in the dating scene.

History of Success

eHarmony has helped 600,000 married couples tie the knot and counting. According to a Harris Interactive study, an average of 542 people who met through its online dating service are married every day in the United States. If these numbers are accurate, that means almost four percent of all marriages in the United States happen thanks to eHarmony. This track record and focus on long-term relationships should help prospective customers to know whether this is the option for them.

The Bad

• Limited Free Account Features
  • Extra Features Will Cost You More
  • No Background Checks
  • Information Sharing

Limited Free Account Features

While it’s free for users to start an account and review their potential eHarmony member matches, you must be a paid member to send and receive messages.

A messaging paywall is not uncommon in the industry, it can be frustrating for those not wanting to pay for a premium account.

The free account and mobile app does allow members to create a personality profile—members can include physical appearance, personal characteristics, religious preferences, partner expectations, interests, opinions, relationship status, sexual orientation, commitment level, etc.

Extra Features Will Cost You More

After filling out the questionnaire, eHarmony presents users with a few membership options. You can keep the basic profile for free, but you won't be able to do much in terms of interacting with other users or viewing full profiles. Upgrading from the basic plan to a Premium membership will add several more tools to your search for love, including the following:

• Enhanced search features, including distance/proximity search
  • Access to your detailed personality profile and analysis
  • Unlimited messaging
  • View photos of matches
  • See who has viewed your profile
  • A complimentary review of your dating profile with tips for improvement

Premium Plans

In addition to free user access, paid members of this dating service can browse anonymously, receive read receipts on their messages, and be featured with Spotlight. Occasionally there will be online eHarmony discount codes premium memberships, as well as promotional introductory offers.

Premium Lite

Premium Plus

Premium Extra

• 6-Month Plan
  • $59.90 per month
  • 12-Month Plan
  • $35.90 per month (standard price)
  • 24-Month Plan
  • $25.90 per month (standard price)

No Background Checks

When you join eHarmony, the company does not currently conduct criminal background check services. However, the terms and conditions state that the company reserves the right to conduct a criminal background check at any time using available public records.

Information Sharing

As members use eHarmony, legally the online dating company can record and keep the information shared. The information collected may be used to improve its services or be collected as information for studies and similar companies around the world.

eHarmony members will also receive emails upon signing up. These emails sometimes come from eHarmony or other related brands. Members can choose to opt-out of these emails in their settings but should plan on receiving multiple emails daily from eHarmony or one of its partners. Especially for free members, these newsletters and promotions are a good place to look for coupon codes.

eHarmony also discloses that if a person chooses to connect their social media accounts to their dating profile, the company has permission to use the information collected. The terms and conditions state, “By connecting the eHarmony account to a social networking site, members consent to the continuous release of information to eHarmony.”

The Bottom Line

If you're serious about trying online dating services with the goal of a relationship, eHarmony works with like-minded people. It uses scientific data and personality trait analysis to add some order to the chaotic dating world, rather than just showing nearby singles in your age range as many other dating apps do.

While eHarmony may not be the best choice for daters looking for short-term relationships or "hook-up" type dates, it is a promising option for marriage-minded singles aiming to find a compatible partner.

As with all dating sites, users may come across some fake profiles or scammers, so it is best to be cautious when giving out sensitive information.

Consumers can try out eHarmony for free to test the waters, but a paid eHarmony membership is necessary to reap most of the benefits the platform has to offer. Although users will probably get more out of their online dating experience as a premium member; the free membership only offers limited communication, but still allows users a chance to access eHarmony, build a profile, and get an idea of their potential match opportunities.

Still not sure about this dating website? Scroll down to check out the latest consumer reviews. If you are trying to decide between eHarmony or Match, check out our side-by-side comparison: eHarmony vs Match

Have you tried this online dating site? How did it work for you? Would you recommend it to a friend? Let us know with a quick review below.

2.3

King Arthritis Pflugerville, TX

I've signed up through several dating sites and this one takes the cake as the worst one yet. After spending a several hours filling everything out and answering the questionnaires I had all of 6 matches within 50 miles and 3 of them were fakes with no prof pic. It's like the dev team for the app just time traveled from 2005 and doesn't seem to be aware of just how far we've come in web dev. And one of the more interesting finds is on there own site where they brag about getting good reviews from a pool of 1600 people out of the over 10mil users. Then we get to the back end service support side which is just someone named "Nikki" who treats you like you're the one scamming them! Like, really?! I used the service for 4 days and you charged me $400 but I'm the scam artist! TL;DR: eHarmony is a scam; don't buy

Warren IL

I had joined eharmony before and found many fake profiles. Also, when you put your desired characteristics in for a match, the matches they give you don't fit those characteristics. When you delete the ones you don't want, they show up in the next day's pre-chosen matches. Contacting customer care does no good. They never answer your questions or concerns. It should be customer don't care. Thought I'd give it another shot with the new year, hoping eharmony had improved it's site with all the negative reviews. They haven't. It is worse than ever. Tried to purchase a 6 month subscription to test it out. I couldn't. Supposedly there was a 35% discount for six months. Tried this one, showed a 3 month subscription in my details, but I couldn't send messages (the receiver didn't get them though they showed in my message center) and my profile could not be accessed via a match search with specific details. (Had a friend try to find me using their profile. They couldn't) Eharmony is a fraudulent company and should be closed down. Tried to go in and change the subscription from auto renew, following the help instructions, can't be done. Had my bank deny the charges. EHarmony will take your money but not provide a good service that actually works. Their customer care is a joke.

MM Largo, FL

The thing about Wharton that I didn't care much for was that you have to pay to be able to fully use the site, otherwise it's very limited in functionality. I guess if you have the money to pay for something like this it would be OK, but I didn't so it didn't do much for me. Considering there are many free dating sites, I just can't see paying for this and it's not cheap either...

Steve Colella Coraopolis, PA

I was hesitant to join at first but extremely glad I did. The list of questions to answer was initially overwhelming but ended up resulting in excellent matches for me. The website was extremely easy to use and navigate.

Slingshot570 Driving force club Peekskill, NY

I wouldn’t give this one star but I had too! Please I repeat please do not use this company if you don’t want your credit card charged for a whole year with of this pointless site! They charged me over $450 for one year when I bought one month on won’t refund me! Stay away from these scammers

David Corey Pittsburgh, PA

Tried to get a refund from trying eharmony 2 days after joining and Denied! Avoid eharmony!! I joined eharmony 12/14/21. Their dubious "personality profile" matched me with terrible matches they choose for you, and I found very few to viable choose without driving long distances. Of the 100 or so initial matches, 20% + had no photos, so out they went, another 30% had one photo, most had written little or nothing in their profile and by the time I reviewed the initial list I was down to less that a dozen potential matches. I was very dissatisfied, so I immediately requested to cancel my membership and asked for full refund 12/16/21 11 within 48 hours of joining. They denied my request for a refund, only providing refunds to people within 3 days if you live in one of these 11 states: Directly from their contract - Arizona, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Rhode Island and Wisconsin! WHY I wonder? Probably because those states have a law that allows consumers out of any consumer agreement within 72 hours. I live in PA and so technically, their lengthy agreement, which no one reads, gave them an out. Hurray for lawyers! How many of you have ever read the 50 page agreements that comes with every mobile phone update? Every Consumer in the US should have the right to a refund within at least 3 days of joining if not 7!! It's the right way to treat consumers. Not like easy marks to be taken advantage of at every possibility. People need time to review how things work on dating sites like eharmony and if you don't like it, it's only fair to give people a refund within a reasonable period of time. eharmony is not reasonable or fair in any way. In other words, eharmony is gaming the system and refused me a refund after just 2 days of membership, leaning on their legal terms and conditions because I don't live in one of the designated 11 states. All US consumers should be treated the same, offering everyone at least a 3 day refund policy - no questions asked. I exchanged several emails with them and they just stonewalled me. I immediately filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, as directed to by the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection. If we don't stand up to abuse, nothing will change. This no refund practice takes advantage of consumers and eharmony provides no clear warning of their no refund policy --it's buried by their lawyers in the overwhelmingly long agreement they give you. Who reads any of these agreements? Smart companies treat consumers fairly and don't fall back on the letter of the law of their long, complex agreements they know nobody reads. Additionally eharmony was recently forced to pay $2.2 Million for its underhanded auto renewal practices which you sign up for unwittingly when you join. These kind of unscrupulous business practices are what make consumers cynical. Shame on eharmony. I’ve used Match.com successfully in the past, then tried it again recently but didn’t like the new setup - so I quit Match.com after a month and they offered me a full refund. That is fair! I might even try them again in the future, but Never eharmony. Never! It is only fair to all consumers to offer a refund within a reasonable period of time 7-14 days, so you can see what you are getting into. Not so with eharmony. Once you give them your credit card - like it or not, kiss your money good-bye. By the way, I Never review companies online. I am just so angry at eharmony's unethical business practices I want to warm people. Try another dating site! I don't think eharmony has a wide enough pool of matches and by the time they apply their dubious personality profile to you, choosing your potential matches for you, you end up with a disappointing set of choices. I've communicated with several members now who've said the same, men and women.

Dave Fortin Kingston, PA

Overall, not a bad company. The website does allow you to chat with people and truly try to get to know people. This was purchased for me as a gift to try and find love. Sadly, it's too expensive and I couldn't keep up with it and it wasn't really working. But I do like what they have to offer and I believe it could be great for so many!

roberto arcia Columbia, MO

I have been on eHarmony for about a month now. It has been an amazing way to connect with people within my area. Although I am skeptical about online dating, it has been such an easy and stress-free way to make those connections. I would recommend eHarmony over any other dating service when it comes to the platform.

Gail Meek Appin, NSW

Worst Dating Site ever. Expensive and of the few matches I received most of them lived in another Australian State and the rest lived greater than 200ks away from my home. I would be lucky to have received 20 matches in almost 6 months. Total rip off.

Vincent Neff Westfield, IN

The 1st two months were great I had legit matches. Then the matches didn't match at all to the point that I had to delete people I had no interest in whatsoever ever. I was pairing me with people that I would never ever Date due to belief, lifestyle, work ethics, very disappointed. I feel it has been a waste of time and money. I an extroverted rather meet face to face. Dating online is a crock of crap!

Erik Lewis Atlanta, GA

I did not have that much luck with eHarmony. Every match and date seemed to not fit me or the person who showed up. I think it was more helpful in building my confidence than for finding the right person

Grace Winchester, CA

BAIT-N-SWITCH! This company is a rip-off. I googled how to cancel the auto-renew for my subscription. When I went on the website to do just that, they offered a $20/month, cancel anytime option. I decided to go for it. Two days later, I look on my bank account online and there is a $373 pending charge!! I sent them an email, (they don't have a customer service phone number), and told them to cancel my account and never mind about the $20/month subscription, I didn't want it anymore. They acted like they were doing me a big favor, by "only" charging me for $107. I replied that was unacceptable, the most I would pay is $20. "Please refund me my $87". I checked my bank account again, and the $373 pending charge had disappeared and in its place was a charge for $107 that had already gone through! I should have followed through with what I was going to do before sending them an email: I was going to call the 24 hour line for my bank and cancel my card and get a new one, so the pending charge wouldn't be able to go through. But no. I was honorable and they were unscrupulous. BEWARE! EHARMONY IS A RIP-OFF! Besides being thieves, they choose the matches you can view and most of them are two hours or further away. Pick a better site and don't get ripped off like I did.

S. Clark Simpsonville, SC

Unbelievable! Their Marketing Statement is "Online Dating For Like-Minded Singles" Apparently, eHarmony's idea of a Single person includes separated persons. Hello! They state that so many customers insisted that even though they are legally married, separated is the same thing as being single. So, if you are looking for adulteries' eHarmony is your place. Also, forget about those parameters you set like distance. eHarmony sends you anyone. I am in Greenville, SC and was getting matches from Maryland, Washington and Kentucky. When I complained they sent me a standard BS reply and told me I needed to prove to them of this breach of contract before they would refund my money. Like they couldn't review my matches they were sending me. All dating sites will have scammers, liars and cheaters. That is life, but when the dating site itself promotes it? Stay away from them. They are disregarding your safety.

JeepMehg Derry, NH

First, it’s incredibly expensive. Second, all of the messages I receive are from men across the country or more than 100 miles away. I’m a single mom with limited nights to myself. I am looking to spend those free nights WITH someone not just talking on the phone. Eharmony is a joke.

Philopator Ptolemy Toronto, ON

After even brief interaction with the site, it became clear that it has very poor matching algorithms and a small dating pool of relevant candidates. Other dating sites in, even without a paid subscription, offer much more relevant matches, and i got a much better response rate on other sites. Importantly, most other sites, offer 1-month subscription, whereas eHarmony locks you for 6 months. They probably do it because they know that nobody would come back after 1 month. I made the mistake of getting 6 months membership because i found an article eHarmony's own website about 14-day cool-off cancellation policy. The article is highly misleading because this cool-off policy applies only to UK, but the article never mentions it. Overall, i would not recommend getting a subscription there at all!

Karen Torino Tallahassee, FL

eHarmony is a great way to meet new people. The interface is easy to use, although a bit outdated. There needs to be some regulation on the type of people who make accounts but overall it is a nice site.

Debra M Depot Attleboro, MA

Horrible customer service!! I am being forced to pay them over 44.00 a month they will not let me cancel my account I tried to delete my account it said I had to talk to customer service first so I emailed them, they said they will delete my account but I will have to continue to pay them over 44.00 a month for almost a year are you kidding me!!!! I hate this website!!

Andrea W Mechanicsburg, PA

Worst dating site I’ve used. There is no way to differ between paid members and free members.m. If you message a feee member they cannot reply to you. This is a waste of money and time. Save yourself and use another dating website/app. I tried to get a refund and only got a free 3-month extension after my year is up. I highly doubt I’m going to meet anyone on your site. Eharmony is the biggest scam and they should be ashamed for false advertising.

Carolyn Boorse Blue Bell, PA

This is not a good dating website. I gave it several months and never any new matches, so it is totally a rip-off. It is very expensive and totally worthless. I have been on other websites and thought I would try this since I thought it had good reviews and thought that maybe I would meet gentlemen who wouldn't mind buying you a cup of coffee on a date instead of just complaining about all of the women who are just after their money. I figured everyone has to pay something to be on there so perhaps a good match was possible.... maybe a more serious group?? I am financially secure so thought I'd make the investment. A totally useless investment. At least there are some actual people utilizing the free websites. I did write and ask for a refund, but they quoted the dreaded fine print. Lesson learned. I would not recommend.

CMC Fort Payne, AL

Expensive and no better than the other cheaper sites. I paid for a 1 year membership and was disgusted by the amount of sexual abusers out there. You cannot reveal your phone number to anyone without then getting a variety of x-rated photos. I switched to email prior to giving out my phone number, and was met by the same sexual content and constant sexual talk. No one wanted to get to know about me or allow me to get to know them. If I didn't agree to jump straight in the sack, I wasn't worth talking to. It is a shame, the state of things today. But with E.H. you hope that the individuals are serious and properly vetted. They are NOT.

Jen Reviews Springfield, NJ

Horrible horrible scam!!! If you live outside of the few states they claim to “refund” you are STUCK paying for this mess! I tried to cancel within one HOUR of signing up and was denied because of where I live. Customer service is rude and demeaning - the agreement is sneaky and not forthcoming. Matches are horrid, even my family was horrified at the pictures/bio of those who this scam site matched with me. Stay away! Go donate to a worthy cause, you’ll feel so much better than wasting your hard earned money on this mess!! Run from E Harmony! And tell everyone else to as well! Frauds!

Breya J Boise, ID

If you are in your 30s, take care of yourself physically, eat healthy and are successful career wise I would say do not, I repeat do not pay for this BS. They totally cage the app so that you have to pay about $300 no matter what. My mom swears by eHarmony but she used it in Los Angeles which I’m sure has a better database. I live in Boise Idaho and I will tell you that there is no potential matches anywhere in this area and even in the surrounding areas. It’s pretty depressing and I am so upset that I have to pay because of the contract. If I was able to actually see pictures for the free version I would have never paid. Although the free apps (hinge and bumble) are exhausting as well, they actually give you some quality people and better conversations that I had at all on eHarmony. Don’t make the same mistake i did. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR EHARMONY!!!!!!

KC Calgary, AB

If i can put 0 star, i would. Even waaayyy lower than that. They refuse to refund my payment. I requested cancellation within 48 hours of purchase. Turns out the 3-day no obligation thing only applies to certain states in the US. That was my bad for not noticing that. However, if their T&C was written better and is not intentionally misleading, i would have NEVER EVEN PURCHASED. I thought i'd give a laid site a try since i have used free ones for the past years. I thought maybe it's time to use a paid site and maybe i would get better chances of finding a match. Nope. Never again. This website completely made me very skeptic of paid dating sites. I have had my eyes on this site for a long time and i had actually endorsed it to some friends. But now, they want to get my $300+ for a service that i no longer want after only 48 hours of being on the site. I dont even care if they keep my first month's pay. I think it's only fair if they keep it. They can even keep the first 3 months of discounted price. But to keep charging me for the rest of the year for a service i CLEARLY DO NOT WANT ANYMORE, this is just robbery. I do not trust this website at all and i will make sure that people know how opportunistic this website is.

Tiffany Findlay West Valley City, UT

Nothing about this company is good. Tried to do a profile but it will not allow me. Just because I am a smoker

Russ Burke Soddy-Daisy, TN

Completely overpriced and disappointed. Tried to cancel within first 3 days only to be told I couldn't. Don't waste your money on this garbage

LINDSEY CONNER Fort Worth, TX

eHarmony won’t give me a refund when I accidentally purchased a year subscription when I intended to purchase the monthly subscription. So I’m out $300 for nothing.

Ray Hanna Tampa, FL

Bad customer service , they give you hope bottom line more problems happened your profile , someone else go throw your profile , I chat with others they complain the same problem E harmony say is not secure and not safety

Jeff Hewartson Wyoming, MI

eharmony is deceptive and will lock you into a contract for a service that is not worth the money. Once you pay for a membership you will quickly learn that it is not worth it and be stuck with the bill even if you decide to leave. the "free" profile is literally worthless and just used to goad you into paying an exorbitant fee. the layout and webdesign is terrible and not at all user friendly. There are better and cheaper sites to go to, stay away from eharmony

Edward

Apologies for length, but this seems to be a genuinely serious issue, and I hope you will read it through. Well, the jury is still out, and I am still a member. l want to qualify something first. I am not some disgruntled complainer with an axe to grind. Certainly, I am not the ULTIMATE good-looking, wealthiest stud on eHarmony, but my profile and photos are pretty decent. Here's my point. After 6 weeks I have received 327 "compatible" matches, and despite reaching out with either a "smile" and/or a short, friendly message to many, I have received only 2 "smiles" and 2 reply messages, or less than a 1% response rate. I have received zero contact from the other 250 ish women that I did not yet reach out to. One other thing: there have been only about 17 visits to look at my profile. That means that out of 327 "compatible" matches, 310, or 95%, didn't even bother to take a look at my profile. So, this isn't about hurt feelings or rejection whatsoever. Honestly. What is striking is that these percentages (which are completely accurate) don't even enter the realm of "statistical error", they are so small. The only conclusion I can come up with is that a large number of these so-called "compatible matches" are from old, inactive profiles. This seems to be corroborated by the fact that several of my "new list of daily matches" have included old, recycled profiles that I had seen before. Finally, a friend who is also on eHarmony described a very similar experience to mine during this same time period after I shared my story with her, and she would probably fit into the top 15% of most men's idea of desirable. I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems that eHarmony might be stuffing the site with non-existent profiles to make the selection of potential matches look larger than it is. I am going to follow up on this.

Ryan Faulkner West Columbia, SC

I couldn't see any local matches or send any messages until I signed a very expensive long contract. This is just as bad as the free sites except now I owe over $300. They will NOT let you cancel this contract. Typical online scam!

Judy DeTuccio West Hartford, CT

This is a scam.. I signed up for 6 months on eharmony..and I RARELY get match suggestions. I contacted customer care many times, and they don't respond. I asked for a refund..no response. I contacted a lawyer and am turning over to him my documented experience with these scam artists. Would like to seexa class action suit against this site

Chris Cambridge, ON

I tried to get a refund on the same day that I subscribed. eHarmony response: "Unfortunately, we are unable to honor your request for a refund as subscription purchased in Canada are non refundable" - guess they only screw Canadians. Very few people are actually on this site, guess most people were smarter than I was. Many people that create a profile seem to remove it, there is a large number of accounts that have no photos or any details.

Jacqueline Jelsma Brookings, SD

My husband and I both used the free weekend and we both chose each other apparently and now we are happily married. I highly recommend eHarmony because I never would have found him any other way

ghostpepper Dothan, AL

I purchased the two year subscription, but after a few days I could tell it wasn’t what I was looking for. I requested a refund within two weeks of purchase and was denied.

Reese Pleasant Grove, UT

eHarmony lives up to the name as it harmoniously helped me find people I had things in common with. It was very professional and safe and made it so easy. I was able to take the next step in relationships and should have done it earlier.

Rocio Diaz Tallahassee, FL

Can be expensive, and caters towards an older audience. Not as user friendly or popular as other dating services.

Collin Anderson Washington, DC

While I appreciate the idea behind eHarmony, there is almost no one on this app. It doesn't matter how tuned into my personality you are if there is no one there to match with. Don't waste your money.

JAbrams Round Rock, TX

I was scammed by eHarmony, in the form of them creating fake profiles to lure me into buying an expensive subscription. Once I created my profile, including pictures and self-description, I got messages from two eligible men (professional, educated, nice looking), which of course I couldn't respond to without paying hundreds for the subscription service. After I bought the service, these men disappeared from the site. After that, I was only matched with men that were nothing like what I'd asked to be matched with: they were not professionals or educated (higher education was my top priority request for a match), too old for me, looked sloppy and were inarticulate. The contrast between the men I was matched with before paying, and the men I was matched with after paying, was too stark to be a coincidence: I have no doubt that those initial matches were fakes & used as bait to bring customers in. Because I was scammed, I disputed the charges with my credit card company.

Jim Emmett ,

I am convinced that eHarmony is a SCAM! I used their website both as a free member, and as a Premium member, between 2016 and 2020. I refuse to try their services again, until they change their business model. To illustrate the problem, I will attempt to re-post this block of text, which I put up on my Eharmony profile, and they promptly took it down: "I wanted to comment on my 90+ matches, because that's mostly what I looked at. I have to say that so far, I'm NOT impressed with EH's "matching system". For example, I am being matched to women who are devoutly Christian (and I am not), women who want to travel the world (and I don't), women who want to be financially successful (and I am not), women who are much taller than me, and probably wouldn't want me in a million years, etc, etc. I know I'm only a free member, but still." (Note that "90+" refers to the match score, not their age.) I am posting this here, so people know about EHarmony's business practices, and I think that there ought to be an independent investigation into the success rate they are claiming, versus how they are actually "matching" their members. Thank you very much.

Sophia Burbank, CA

During one week, after I signed up, I was stalked by three...three..."sharks" whose only purpose was to scam me. eHarmony HIDES behind emails. They are making plenty of money so they can DO A BETTER JOB THAN THIS!!! I realized they were "sharks" from the beginning because of the following evidence: 1) They did NOT state where they were from, and 2) They wrote in English but NOT AMERICAN ENGLISH! What do I mean by that? Here is a typical example of American English.... "My mom said that if I don't get off my computer and do my homework she'll slam my head on the keyboard, but I think she's jokinfjreoiwjrtwe4to8rklj reun8f4ny84c8y4t 58lym4 wthylmhawt4mylt4amlat hnatyn" Get it? Yes you did! These foreign scammers do not understand this at all. Watch the words that they use. The words they use are NOT used in American English. Also, their punctuation and other forms in writing are completely lacking and I know that you know. You know what they say in American English.... "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....IT'S A DUCK!" Have fun with them....And BE SAFE!

Steve League City, TX

eHarmony has been a complete waste of my time and money. The principal problem for me has been that the vast bulk of the matches that I've received appear to be inactive. In two months, I've sent out approximately 35 messages to women I've been matched with. Of those, only 6 or 7 have even looked at my profile. Of those 6 or 7, one briefly responded (the interaction went nowhere). I'm fine with people not wanting to respond, and I'm not so naive as to expect a tremendous response rate, but when so few are even looking at my profile, that means most of them aren't active users. I shouldn't receive matches from inactive users. Very, very few of my matches had the green light, meaning they've been active within 24 hours, or the yellow light, meaning they've been active within 2 days. The only two real communications I had were both from people who had "smiled" at me first. That's great and I'm happy that they did (I met one of those two people in real life and found that she looked so dramatically different in person than in her profile that I walked right past her in a restaurant without recognizing her), but it got to the point that I knew look at any of the matches and sending messages was totally pointless. Second, in the first week or so, I received many matches per day - sometimes more than 10. After that, though, the number dwindled down to no more than 4, sometimes 1 or even zero, and most of them were clearly not women who I would either be interested in or compatible with. I've tried Match.com, as well, and it at least has the advantage of identifying active members, so I'd recommend Match over eHarmony.

Patrick Mountain View, CA

I had an eHaronmy account about a year ago. I canceled it and told them to remove my profile. They acknowledged that they would remove my profile. A relationship I had started fell through because the woman I was seeing thought I was still trolling for dates because my profile still appeared to be active. I then reactivated the account and found they had left my profile active all that time, making mine a "ghost" account. There were scores of "matches" during that time. Those women must have thought I was a snob for not replying to them. This appears to be how eHarmony inflates the number of accounts presented to users. Unwitting users like me are turned into shills in eHarmomy's fraudulent user-inflation scam. I also found about 25% of accounts were "catfishers." See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catfishing for a description of that type of scam. I work for a federal agency and I've been trained to spot catfishers because they often exploit male federal employees by accusing them of sexual misconduct ("but if you give my Uncle Sasha some secrets, I'll forget about calling the police"). I found that many of the photos were "scraped" (copied) from commercial ads and magazine articles appearing on line. I confirmed that by copying the profile photo and running it through Google image search (images.google.com). So if you use eHarmony, prepare to be scammed both by eHarmony and by its users.

Laura Maddux Beaumont, TX

eHarmony barely sends me matches (none for an entire week, even though I live close to one of the biggest cities in America), doesn't match me appropriately , and makes it impossible to get a refund even though they don't keep up their end. I signed up for eHarmony based on their promise to match me with compatible matches. They have not done so. I have a doctorate, and I have settings saying education is very important. They consistently match me with people who have only a high school or BA degree. I have my location settings at 150 miles, yet most of my matches are farther away. Many of the matches I get are not active on the site. I believe they have deleted their profiles (my brother did so 2 years ago, yet his profile showed up as a match on my site.) It should not count as sending me matches if those people aren't even available. I also indicate that Christianity is very important to me, but many of those i'm matched with do not share this. I sent in feedback once, but never got a response. I have tried to do so again, but now the feedback button doesn't work on any of my devices. There is no other way to contact them by phone or online. I've submitted a complaint to the Better Business Bureau, but of course they say they make no guarantees of matching me. I suppose they could send me no matches for the entire time, and just say they couldn't find any. Overall, I believe eHarmony is engaging in fraudulent business practices by not abiding by their commitment to sending quality MATCHES. Those they send are either not available or not matches. I wanted my money back when I realized this within the first few days, but they make it impossible to get one since I don't live in LA (to walk a cancellation in), and it would cost as much to send a telegraph as the subscription.

Rhonda Miami, FL

This is a Wonderful concept: sort of Christian site, deep character analysis, etc. , but my experience was very unsuccessful. I met one man in maybe seven years of on and off membership. He didn't strike me as someone I'd click with. I've met married men and while that's almost unavoidable I was happy with the way eHarmony removed him immediately. My main issue with eHarmony is the amount of men "not" actually on eHarmony. I'm now one of those people whose profile is likely counted but who don't ever go on the site. When I see free communications weekend advertised I know that the people probably feel the way that I do. Hopeless. I would love to provide greater insight and maybe even help with redirecting the site because I think it is so important to us finding one another. I'm putting in a lot of effort on other sites just to meet my mate

Elana Smith Columbia, MO

Charging me a lot of money for a service that I am not going to use. Contacted them after the first week explaining that I didn't like the service and they didn't anything. They charged me $75 which I thought was for 3 months and then they charged me again $75 a month later.

Theresa Southfield, MI

Do not use the harmony! Even though in terms and conditions they say you can request a refund within three days of signing up however after requesting a refund after less than 24 hours they denied the request saying that it is only for certain states. Major scam. If I could give less than one star I would. If I could give less than one star I would

Love Princess Cleveland, OH

Will not allow me to change filters to only see non smoking and non drinkers only because for medical reasons that I cannot discuss I was forced by Cleveland clinic to sign papers making a promise that I would never drink or smoke cigarettes for the rest of my life on now I’m tremendously allergic to both and my Doctor doesn’t want me anywhere near alcohol or cigarettes smoke for my own health so that means I have to avoid dating anyone else who drinks or smoke cigarettes to help me with my health and and avoid arguments always

Jaci Rhoades , TX

The personal questions that you have to answer take forever. There are literally hundreds of questions. Three fourths of the way through it I got exhausted and frustrated. Then at the end they rejected me and said that eHarmony was not for everyone.

Disatisfied Customer St. Petersburg, FL

Can I give zero stars? Their matches for myself, an attractive 58 year old female with a masters degree, were anywhere from 76 year old men to men with barely a high school education. The site repeatedly changed my age preferences and stated I needed to broaden my preferences in order to get more matches. I contacted eharmony and received no response. Save your money....

Tiffany I Elkridge, MD

Great online dating. They really try to match you with people that they think will work for you. I didn’t meet my husband from Eharmony but met some great guys.