Veteran owned and based in Chicago, Safeway Moving System offers local, long-distance, and international moving services as well as storage options. The company specializes in providing moving services for large homes and condos and provides its customers with a flat rate price, or hourly rate, for their moves with a promise of no extra charges or hidden fees. Safeway Moving System is granted full operating authority by the U.S. and Canadian governments, which means that they are authorized to provide services in all states and provinces. With over 100 trucks in its network, Safeway Moving System is able to find you the best solution for an affordable price.

In addition to its traditional moving services, Safeway Moving offers monthly storage for personal and commercial valuables. The company prides itself on being an industry leader in international relocation, moving, storage, and freight forwarding services.

The Good

• Positive Customer Reviews
  • Free Moving Quotes
  • No Hidden Fees
  • Storage Solutions
  • International Reach
  • Works with Condo Associations

Positive Customer Reviews

Safeway Moving System has many positive online reviews. Reviewers are often observed sharing their positive view of the company’s no hidden fee policy. Many said they were satisfied with the company’s transparent pricing and that they were charged the amount they were quoted for their move. Positive reviews also mentioned the professionalism and timeliness of the company’s movers.

Free Moving Quotes

When moving, it is always a good idea to get pricing quotes from several moving companies to see which would be the best fit for your move. Safeway Moving System provides free quotes via email or over the phone.

No Hidden Fees

Some moving companies provide quotes that are inaccurate, too low, or that do not mention fees or additional charges that a customer could potentially incur. Safeway Moving System promises its customers that it does not charge hidden fees or add on extra charge. The company quotes movers a flat rate price, or hourly rate, and do not charge for travel time back and forth between counties as some companies do.

Storage Solutions

Safeway Moving System offers its customers personal and commercial storage solutions, including to those moving internationally. Items are stored in wooden storage vaults equipped with anti-theft security alarm systems. Customers can start renting storage space anytime and are charged monthly with the first month’s rent being free as an introductory special. As a benefit, Safeway Moving System promises to match or beat its competitors storage pricing, so movers looking for storage should shop around to guarantee the lowest price.

International Reach

Because international moves can be more complicated and stressful, Safeway Moving System is committed to making the process run smoothly. The company has seventeen international licensees and relationships with more than 300 preferred global partners. While it seems Safeway specializes in moves within North America, it encourages customers to call their customer service reps for information on moves outside of the United States and Canada.

As a bonus, Safeway Moving System’s move coordinators can help guide customers through a variety of questions that may arise during an international move. The company can provide information on the destination country, climate, schools, and shipping regulations that can affect what movers are allowed to transport into the country.

Works with Condo Associations

Many condo associations require moving companies to verify licensing, insurance, and credentials to mitigate risk. It is common for most moving companies to carry the minimum insurance policy required by law which is $750,000. Safeway Moving System carries $1,000,000 dollar insurance policy and carries current licensing.

The Bad

• No Pricing Information Online
  • Inconsistent Online Reviews
  • Limited Services Compared to Competitors

No Pricing Information Online

Many moving companies will offer movers a way to obtain a moving quote online. This is convenient and makes comparing several moving companies’ quotes quick and easy. Safeway Moving System does not provide any pricing information on its website, and movers must call or email the company directly for a quote.

Inconsistent Online Reviews

While many of the company’s online reviews were glowing, there did appear to be some inconsistency. Many Safeway Moving System’s reviews give the company a glowing five stars, but there are also many rock-bottom one-star reviews accusing the company of paying for positive reviews online. Negative reviewers often mention that they were charged hidden fees after they were told there wouldn’t be any. Potential customers should carefully review quotes and ask what fees could potentially be charged.

Limited Services Compared to Competitors

Other moving services companies advertise a larger variety of services that can make a move easier and more convenient for customers such as cleaning services, move planners, and information specifically to assist with military moves. The company provides very limited information on car shipping; however, it does appear from some online reviews that customers were able to work with the company on shipping their vehicles.

The Bottom Line

Safeway Moving System has a decades-long history of providing moving services across all 50 states as well as internationally. This full service coverage can be very helpful for those moving long distances. The company’s storage service also provides customers with a convenient solution to storage needs when they arrive at their destination; no finding and arranging delivery to a separate storage facility. We are impressed by Safeway’s promise of flat rate moving quotes with no hidden fees, as well as its price match or beat guarantee for their storage services.

Accusations of fraudulent glowing, five-star reviews give us pause, and we encourage you to research a number of local long-distance movers, full-service movers, and relocation companies near you before making a final decision to ensure that the fees, offers, and services are the best fit for you.

Jeff Henry

August 17th, 2020 Mahopac, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This is by far the most hassle free and convenient moving company experience I've ever had. The staff was helpful with all my needs and requests concerning the move as well as friendly and easy to talk to. Recommended to all.

Tyler

January 20th, 2021 Beaverton, OR DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Safeway Moving Systems LLC (Chicago based) Chris - point of contact, completely ghosted us after signing the contract Prime Relocation Services (Sacramento based) Movers - Dani + Frankie (could have also been contracted out) Dispatch - someone horrible don’t know her name, hung up on me day of delivery Safeway will sweet talk you and provide you a contract that seems fairly straight forward. You should not trust this as the actual cost. You will be forced to sign separate contracts. The company that Safeway decides to contract your move out to, will not honor the Safeway contract and this will be used to get additional fees out of you. We weren’t aware of a second forced contract, and I say forced because we were in a position that we had no other option. They showed up the day of the move, claimed our cubic feet was 200 feet more than the estimate. Now I understand estimates, but to be off by 200 feet is not even a close estimate in my opinion, and this was after I’d described our inventory three times to two separate people. It was the day of the move, we only had two days left on our current lease, we had no choice but to sign as there was no time to find another option and we’d already paid a hefty deposit. Another couple of examples of the fee gouging, Safeway’s contract says a flight of stairs is 12 steps, Prime Relocation Services says 7, but this was not mentioned until drop off, so we were hit with another $300 additional for stairs at delivery. We were also nickel and dimed for packing materials, $67 for cling wrap and tape, which were supposedly included according to Safeway. The truck that arrives for your things, will not be the same truck that drops them off, so your things will be moved several times. We were charged an additional fee of $350 for this changing of trucks even though we weren’t aware until after our things were already on a smaller moving truck. This, naturally, increases the chance of damage and/or lost items. Several of our furniture pieces were dented, scratched and/or broken and many of the boxes arrived torn or shredded. But you won’t be able to do anything about this either, because the people who loaded our things marked nearly every single item on our inventory as “scratched.” How convenient for them now that all of our things arrived gouged, scratched, and dented. The driver who delivered our items claims they don’t work for Safeway or Prime Relocation at all and repeatedly asked to be paid in cash stating that otherwise, “we will ask for our money over and over if you don’t pay in cash they will not give us our money.” When I called dispatch to inquire about this, I was told to “have a nice day,” and hung up on. Scams for everyone involved it seems. When I asked what company this driver works for, he said his own LLC, but refused more than once to give me the name of his company because he didn’t want to be blamed for Prime Relocation Services. In the beginning, we were looking at a $3K move, by the time we were all swindled and ghosted, we paid over $5K.

Vanessa

January 13th, 2021 Scranton, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Safeway Moving has done an excellent job moving my family across the country. I was contacted by Lisa whom was very knowledgeable, patient and thorough. She walked me through the inventory process making sure we did not miss anything. We discussed packing costs and travel times. Safeway Moving was definitely not the cheapest quote I received but I decided to go with them because I felt very comfortable after looking at their reviews. Move day went very smooth. The movers were polite and extremely hard working. They carefully wrapped and packed my entire house within 8 hours. Delivery was on time and they put everything back and in place. They made sure to clean up after themselves which I greatly appreciated!!! What else could I ask for you . I would like to thank the entire team of Safeway Moving for making my move basically a stress free process.

Isabella

January 12th, 2021 Deerfield Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I was referred by family to use Safeway and Im very happy I did. Safeway was great the entire move, especially when I needed to make changes to my furniture list and to the pick up date. The movers are on time and professional. Their customer service is top notch! There was always an answer when i called in for something, even around the holidays!

Robert Michael Strano

January 12th, 2021 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everything was a breeze from the reservation to delivery. Richard set up my move from Indiana to Florida, he seemed knowledgeable and transparent. I appreciated his candor. The actual moving men Jeff, Raul & Toby were great. They worked efficiently and were personable. Delivery was delayed 8 hours due to a client before me being delivered in a harder to find parking area. Aside from that, I can only praise the gentlemen at Safeway. I will recommend them for sure.

Joe Drummond

January 12th, 2021 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great moving experience. I should write more here as I always choose to rip a bad experience...having said that, comprehensive & organized inventory and very thorough explanation of what to expect. This initial experience paved the road to quality assurance calls reducing our inventory (a spruce). Timely pickup, reasonable transit tine and quality delivery Thanks Safeway

Melanie S

January 8th, 2021 Lakeland, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I just moved across the country and Safeway was the moving company I chose after a lot of research. I’m glad I did! The price was fair (I did A LOT of price shopping!) and they are Veteran owned. Everything they said they would do, happened. I’m very grateful I chose this company.

Melissa D

January 8th, 2021 Nashville, TN DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We chose this company particularly because they seemed to be more serious and professional than the others, even though they were a lot more expensive. They convinced us by telling us that with them, there are no “hidden cost”, what you pay upfront is what it is. We were extremely disappointed by their service. The communication was bad, they did not follow up with us to inform us of when our moving would be delivered. We finally got our things 14 days later, but we had a really bad experience: they asked us to pay an extra amount of money, in cash (they would not accept anything else!), on a Sunday, and when we argued that we were not aware and did not agree with such an increase in rate (about $1000), they basically told us it’s either you pay or we keep your stuff. The customer service was absolutely terrible. A salesman told us over the phone in a condescending ton that we were aware of the extra charge and that it’s either we pay or we don’t get our things! They also mentioned that we were informed over over the phone that an additional charge may apply if the truck was too big for our street and a transfer needed to be done to a smaller truck. I asked them to send us the recording, since we absolutely did not remember getting this info over the phone. They never sent the recording. The truck they left with from NYC and the truck they arrived in in Nashville were completely different, so we did not anticipate that the truck was too big for our street. The worst part is that there was a huge parking lot on our street where they could have parked to avoid us paying a fee and then moving everything from a truck to another, and they refused to use it. They told us they were not allowed. How convenient! Finally, a few items were missing from the truck, and it took us almost 1 month to get compensation of $50! We fell trapped, robbed and that it was a complete rip off. Overall, moving a 600 sq ft studio apartment from NYC to Nashville cost us over $4,000! Don’t trust this company, they will rob you!

James

January 6th, 2021 Centreville, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I got an excellent service from Safeway moving. Salesperson was nice quoted us fair price. They packed our items carefully and arrived to our destination safely. Everything was excellent thank you.

Samantha Walsh

December 21st, 2020 Charlotte, NC DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is Criminal! Absolute worst experience of my life and they STILL haven't delivered my things after taking possession of them on 10/26/20. I moved from Seattle, WA to Charlotte, NC and did a lot of research on a reputable moving company before making such a long distance relocation. The sales rep that handled my case and sold me on their company completely lied blew a bunch of smoke with false advertising and promises, and did not act with integrity. Not only does the company still have possession of all my things, they haven't even left Seattle after 2 MONTHS. They have insulted me, refuse to refund me any money or release my things so I can find someone else to deliver them over to Charlotte. This company refuses to return any of my calls weeks on end and even has gone to the extent to block my calls. It has been the most stressful and horribly miserable experience I could ever imagine going through on top of living for 2 months across the country without ANY of my things. Lawyers have had to get involved now as well a the Federal Dept. of Transportation. They are under investigation at this point and I pray that no one else ever has to experience what I have with this company. DO NOT USE Safeway Moving Systems LLC.

Elliot

December 14th, 2020 Great Falls, VA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The company made an estimate on our move. We believe they intentionally misrepresented our inventory and underestimated the number of boxes so they could have a lower price than competing movers. They told us they believed the estimate was accurate and said it was binding not to exceed the price and told us we "wouldn’t pay a penny more unless [we] went out and bought five grand pianos.” We did not purchase or add any new items. A week before the move they said the estimate was done badly -- he said that things were entered wrong and they needed to add hundreds more boxes and would raise the price by more than $10,000. They said that would include full value replacement, but then sent a new contract without full value replacement. They then said they wouldn't do full value replacement unless we paid yet another $7,000. They attempted to blame us saying we should have known we would have needed more boxes despite their estimator saying that was the number of boxes we need. How were we supposed to know how many boxes we would need? We believe they were intentionally attempting to defraud us. They told us they are going to unilaterally cancel our move and keep our deposit.

Dana Elizabeth Wolf

December 14th, 2020 Hayward, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We had a terrible experience with Safeway moving systems. We scheduled our move a month in advance and had a guaranteed pickup date - which (a week before the move date) they changed to a 3 day window. And then the dispatcher called and said they couldn't hit the 3 day window. We canceled our order, because they couldn't meet, not only their window, but we were not sure based on poor customer service, that they would even meet the next day. We asked for our deposit back, which they are denying, so now have to involve a lawyer. I am appalled that this company doesn't understand what good customer service is, much less, knows how to make up for it - by reimbursing us. I would absolutely never do business with them again and would suggest to their management that they clarify with customers that "guaranteed" doesn't necessarily mean that. I very rarely write reviews, but this is worth any type-A person knowing...they don't hold up to their brand promise: "Stress free, military precision relocation."

Wayne Ellis

December 12th, 2020 Pompano Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

You really do not know exactly how popular you are until you enter your moving information in the computer. I was overwhelmed by the response by so many copanies calling me and many of them acting like their truck was the last one available. Then I recieved a call from Joe W from Safeway Moving System. From the very outset of the call I could sense a deeper level of caring in the conversation. Specific questions that he asked identified his experience and professionalism. What really stood out was when he asked me what I really was looking for in a professional moving company as opposed to just telling me what they would do for me. From this call, to the pricing - not the cheepest, but I feel it was the best value, to the verification, the quality assurance call and then the truck arriving, it was seamless. At Pick-up I was greeted by professional moving employees who wore masks and gloves. They dissembled and wrapped up our furniture, and took special care around corners to avoid any damage to our walls or any portion of our home. They were very efficient as they took great care of our valuable items. The delivery was within the window we were hoping for and all items were positioned into the proper rooms. This has been one of the more stressful parts of my life recently and I am happy I choose Safeway Moving Systems to assist us and I do plan on using them in the future as well.

Will

December 11th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This moving company is awesome to say the least!! My move started with Joseph C as my moving coordinator and he was more thorough than all the other moving coordinators I spoke with over the phone. He asked me every question that I needed to answer in order to have a smooth move. Safeway is the moving company to trust for your long distance move. All of our furniture arrived in great condition and everyone we dealt with was extremely professional, I highly recommend this company!!

Claudia

November 20th, 2020 Deerfield Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

guys showed on time, brought all boxes and packed them up also. I was surprised with my move taking the entire truck that the 4 movers (2 of 4 were vets) doing it, were actually able to get it all done from sunrise to sunset, delivery from cast to coast took 8 days for the 2800 miles but kept me in the loop tracking it and providing an update and a call the night beofre the pickup giving the time. I wish I could give them 500 STARS, great job

Jake Wolfe

November 20th, 2020 Delray Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Everything was smooth, on time, and stress free. Broke it all down so I knew exactly what I was paying for and wasn’t charged a penny more. Would definitely recommend to friends and family there’s a reason they’ve been around so long!

R Lampkin

November 20th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Safeway shipped my items from Houston to Miami last month. Leading up to move day, they were very easy to deal with. The actual moving men that arrived to help were outstanding. Delivery was prompt as well. I will be recommending them.

Aaron Bianco

November 12th, 2020 Manchester, NH DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They picked up my stuff on Oct 27. It is now Nov 12 and my stuff is still in a warehouse at it’s initial location. I am told by customer service “ we can’t find a driver”. Is that not the company’s job? Was also told they legally have 21 buisness days and if they don’t make that the have another 30 before they are penalized. Customer service is horrible and I was told in the beginning that they would have my stuff to me in 10 days. This company is horrible!!

Justin Esposito

November 6th, 2020 , DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great company. My move went way better than expected. I was a little nervous because the movers were a few min late (like 15 min) to pick my stuff up. But once they showed up My anxiety went away because they were very professional. Great overall experience and I Definitely reccomend using them.

Gary L Muraco

November 3rd, 2020 Lake City, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We researched multiple moving companies in the area. Safeway Moving System was the most responsive courteous and professional company that we dealt with initially. Their quote was reasonable and the moving team arrived as scheduled with all the supplies necessary. They we're very courteous and professional and respectful. The crew demonstrated excellent customer service. We were pleasantly surprised with the care that they took with our furniture and the added supplies that they used to make sure that nothing was damaged. The sales team were very accommodating professional courteous and knowledgeable. I would definitely recommend Safeway Moving System without hesitation.

Vic potter

November 3rd, 2020 Pompano Beach, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a great experience with this moving company. the crew was on time. I paid for a full pack job for my two-bedroom one-bath home in New York. I was shocked there were no damages everything was packed and handled professionally. The truck pulled up on time as scheduled in Florida. good communication through the entire move which made for a nice transition. Im in my 70's and needed a company that could take care of everything and that's why I would recommend this company highly.

Autumn Leigh

November 2nd, 2020 Fort Lauderdale, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

I had a great experience with this moving company. Prices were mare then reasonable. Everyone was very helpful and efficient when I called into the office, someone was always answering my questions and were very informative throughout our move! Crew was clean and truck was packed professionally. I would highly recommend this company to anyone that is moving across country.

Chrissy Dott

October 25th, 2020 Bothell, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

The people who moved my mothers belonging broke into her cedar chest and stole family heirlooms. For a company that boasts about being for veterans... the thieves stole my late grandfathers war medals, and my late grandmothers jewelry. Precious items that were gifted to her- like the ring they gave her for her 16th birthday. I’ve been run around trying to find information. I’ll find every platform their is and broadcast this theft. That was all she had left of them. Shame on this company.

Andres

September 2nd, 2020 New York, NY DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Great group of guys and girls all working with our information put a moving package together for us that worked exactly off our timeline and went well above our expectations. They kept us informed and were very flexible with pricing and packing options. They were also available to talk after hours since I do work late. Great work by a great company! Highly recommended!!

Clint

September 1st, 2020 Union City, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

These guys finished a ten-hour job before us, and worked really hard and really efficiently until almost 11 o'clock at night. They all had positive attitudes and they are great workers! I would recommend them to help your move any day!

Lonzo

September 1st, 2020 Los Angeles, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were very professional and extremely quick while being careful not to damage our stuff. They had to take apart and re-assemble a platform bed which they did very well. Nothing was scratched or damaged. They had us out of our old place and into our new one before noon! From now on-wards, I will only use Safeway Moving Company for my moves.

Ryan

August 31st, 2020 Clearwater, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They arrived on time, everything was packed with care, they took the time they estimated, it arrived to my destination on time, and I paid exactly the quote I was given. I would definitely recommend Safeway Moving System if you wanna devoid yourself of the moving headache.

Felton

August 31st, 2020 Philadelphia, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

For the day of move, I worked with John and his team. From the get go, I was highly impressed by how fast yet careful and efficient they were in moving our things. It was a memorable moving experience for me. Highly recommended.

Ewald

August 31st, 2020 Cupertino, CA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They are intelligent, courteous, respectful and professional. I highly recommend their services and will definitely look to them for future moves.

Everardo

August 28th, 2020 Portage, MI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

William and his team are super professional and offer stellar service! They responded with a reasonable quote very quickly and were flexible with my schedule for pick-up and delivery. I will definitely suggest everyone to work with Safeway Moving System company!

Jacques

August 27th, 2020 Boonton, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

We couldn't be happier with our movers! Mason and his team were fantastic. They were early and they were amazing. They were friendly and helpful. They handled our stuff with care and they worked fast. Moving day was so pleasant and relaxing! If you are in the tri-state area, hire Safeway Moving System company and ask for James and Michael, they will take care of you.

Delbert Francois

August 18th, 2020 Pearl City, HI DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were great; on time and on schedule. They helped put all our bins and bags into wardrobe boxes for efficiency.!

Janet

August 18th, 2020 Plainfield, NJ DETAILS arrow_drop_down

This company is the most legit company I have ever worked with. So fast and very professional. All of my belongings were packed perfectly. Nothing was broken scratched etc. THEY ARE THE BEST! I can’t recommend this moving company and movers enough!

Morgan Webster

August 17th, 2020 Hawley, PA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

When I got to my new apartment best company moved in everything and set it up exactly the way I wanted it set up without any hesitation. The two guys that came were super friendly and extremely professional. Recommended to all.

Ethan Alexander

August 17th, 2020 Lynnwood, WA DETAILS arrow_drop_down

They were so fast, courteous and professional! These guys were super nice and helped us pack up some things we didn't have time to do, and not a single thing was broken when we moved everything to our new place. They didn't charge us for the plastic wrap for furniture, use of moving blankets, or even that the house they were unloading was 3 stories tall. Thanks, guys! Will hire you guys again!

Wiley Torphy

August 10th, 2020 Kalispell, MT DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Really professional, fast, kind, and they didn't try to rush me - sometimes when you are moving you just need an extra moment to think! This is the second time we've used Safeway Moving System and will be strongly recommending them to everyone we know.

Philip Houston

August 7th, 2020 Webster, FL DETAILS arrow_drop_down

Always the best and most efficient. Our loft has a spiral staircase and these guys did a fantastic job to move everything! This is the 6th time I moved in the CT, and the Safeway Moving System are by far, I really mean, by far the best! 5 stars without a doubt!