Zillow Home Loans Logo

Zillow Home Loans

6.4

LAST UPDATED: September 9th, 2021

Zillow Home Loans an affiliate of Zillow Group Inc., is an online mortgage lender providing direct lending services to homebuyers. After becoming a Zillow Group company in 2018, Zillow Home Loans has extended its home loan services nearly nationwide and provides multiple loan types with competitive mortgage rates.

To apply for a home loan or refinancing, you can enter your information and submit documentation online. You will then be connected with a Zillow Home Loans loan officer who will assist you throughout the mortgage loan process.

Zillow also provides a mortgage shopping option which will connect you with various lenders and allow you to easily compare rates and fees.

Continue reading for a full review of this company, or jump down to read Zillow Home Loans reviews from real customers.

The Good

• Government-Backed Loans Available
  • Money-Saving Options
  • Additional Real Estate Resources
  • Helpful Mortgage Calculator
  • Positive Customer Reviews

Government-Backed Loans Available

Zillow Homes Loans offers a conventional loan product with fixed rates and 15, 20, or 30-year terms. The company also offers two government-backed loan options:

• VA loan — no down payment or private mortgage insurance (PMI) for qualified veterans, as well as reduced closing costs
  • FHA loan — a great option for first-time or low-credit homebuyers with flexible credit requirements and a 3.5% minimum down payment

These loan options, backed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and the Federal Housing Administration respectively, can be helpful for eligible borrowers who may want or need greater flexibility in their up-front mortgage costs and their monthly payment.

Money-Saving Options

Through Zillow Offers or by working with a Zillow Premier Agent, borrowers have the opportunity to save more on their Zillow home loan.

Zillow Offers is Zillow's homebuying program program through which you can sell your home and Zillow will purchase it as-is. It is important to note that Zillow Offers is only available in specific cities and states, so you should first ensure that your home is eligible based on location.

Additional Real Estate Resources

In addition to providing lending services, Zillow Home Loans offers an agent finder, builder and home improvement professionals networking resource, and a hefty knowledge base. Educational information includes where to start when buying a home, information about down payments, advice for getting the best rate, home buying basics, and loan types.

Helpful Mortgage Calculator

Estimate how much you'll pay each month for your new home and see projected trends over time with Zillow Home Loans' calculator. Enter the home price, down payment, loan program, interest rate, property tax, and home insurance values and see your payments over time for different loan types:

• 30-year fixed
  • 3/1 ARM
  • Government loans
  • Jumbo loans
  • Conforming loans

The mortgage calculator and affordability calculator are great tools — especially for first-time homebuyers. They are easy to use and give you a clear estimated total. Of course, there will be other factors and things to consider when buying a house, but as far as getting a general idea of what you can afford or how much you'll need to save, the calculators are a fantastic resource.

Positive Customer Reviews

Zillow Home Loans is clearly doing something right. The majority of reviews left on BestCompany.com are positive, frequently highlighting the following:

• High level of company professionalism, including company representatives and loan officers
  • Competitive interest rates, closing costs, and fees
  • A seamless homebuying, or selling, process due to employee assistance and dedication

Because of these positive reviews, we feel confident in recommending consumers work with Zillow Home Loans.

The Bad

• Not Available Nationwide
  • Limited Loan Types Available
  • No Advertised Rates

Not Available Nationwide

Zillow's products and services are not yet available nationwide. Zillow Home Loans is not licensed in the following states:

• Hawaii
  • Maine
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Vermont
  • West Virginia
  • Wyoming

The company states that it plans on expanding to serve consumers all over the country; however, there is no mention as to when that will happen.

Limited Loan Types Available

While Zillow Home Loans does provide VA loan and FHA loan options in addition to conventional loans, its home loan options overall is not as robust as other online mortgage lenders. Other lenders may also offer a USDA loan or jumbo loan option, in addition to specialized home construction and home renovation loans; Zillow Home Loans doesn't offer any of these loan options, which may be limiting for some borrowers.

No Advertised Rates

Zillow Home Loans doesn't advertise any mortgage rates on its website. Because rates change daily, this isn't necessarily uncommon for the industry, but it can be helpful to at least estimated rate ranges even if they are subject to change.

To see your rates and fees, you will need to enter your information on the Zillow Home Loans website and a personalized rate estimate will be populated for you.

The Bottom Line

Zillow Home Loans is a competitive option for online mortgage lending, providing the option to obtain a loan from the company directly, or to shop around for mortgages through Zillow Group Inc. If you want to see as many mortgage options as possible at once, Zillow makes it easy to shop and compare all in one place.

Mortgage loan options may be limited in comparison to other online lenders, but Zillow Home Loans provides conventional, VA, and FHA loan products that provide some flexibility, while also meeting the majority of borrower needs. However, if you are looking to purchase a rural/country property and could benefit from a USDA loan, or you are purchasing an expensive home requiring a more substantial loan and would prefer a jumbo loan, you will need to look elsewhere for those loan products, including some other specialized loans.

Zillow Home Loans reviews are limited, but the majority of reviews are positive and award the company 5 stars. Overall, customers have been pleased with their Zillow home loan experience and ability to save on rates and fees.

4.9

Jason R Miami, FL

I was assigned to Paul L and his truthfulness and responsiveness was the second reason I went with Zillow home loans. The first was them matching the best rate. The process went very quickly and there was never any need to keep calling to find the status. I would work with them again.

Sydney Charleston South Jordan, UT

Zillow is not only great when it comes to finding homes, it is great when it comes to being able to afford them! Zillow offers loans that are easy to pay back and do not have huge interest rates like many other places!

Ina Toderita Alpharetta, GA

I loved working with Zillow. They made the stressful process of buying a new home and selling the old one seamless and efficient. We took advantage of the Zillow 360 incentives and were able to finance the new home with Zillow loans at a great rate. I especially enjoyed working with Joseph S on our new mortgage application. He was knowledgeable, super friendly, easy to reach, and answered all of my questions in detail which I appreciated. The entire team was great!

Boyd Reston, VA

Zillow handled by mortgage refinance, and I could not be happier with the outcome. I shopped a number of some of the largest and highest rated mortgage companies in the industry, and to my surprise... Zillow provided the best combination of interest rates, closing costs and fees. More importantly, they earned my trust... their Mortgage Banker (Scott Zinser) offered options from day one, took the time to carefully explain the upside and downside of each scenario, allowing me to choose the best approach for my specific situation with confidence. I am delighted with my low interest rate, more than reasonable fees, and quick closing using their online tools. I would recommend Zillow to anyone seeking a mortgage or refinance and more.

TJ Tuton Redondo Beach, CA

With trepidation, I enlisted the help of Scott Z. at Zillow to refinance my mortgage. Unlike Scott, I am NOT a numbers person and find the mortgage process extremely stressful. I have refinanced twice in the past 10 years or so and was not wanting to do it again, but really wanted to take advantage of the low interest rates. Scott made the process ridiculously stress-free. He was patient, professional and available to answer my million questions. He spelt everything out so I completely understood what I was getting in to and really held my hand every step of the way. I wish all large financial transactions were this simple! I absolutely cannot recommend Scott highly enough and have already referred him to several friends. Thank you so much Scott!

Tammi Miles Ft. Washington, MD

I wanted to express my extreme gratitude in helping me to secure a loan for my home. You all know my story with your tenacity and commitment to getting me and my family to a happy new start – I can’t thank you enough! I must say although my circumstances were extenuating and required an abundance of documents; the Zillow process was smooth and easy to manage. Michael K. from the start you were patient, kind, devoted to exceeding expectations and knowledgeable – truly you are that guy loves numbers, loves a challenge and puts his heart into his work. Thank you from the very start! Christine K. you are an amazing ball of energy and great at fighting to close the deal – I hope you had a great vacation and got a lot of time on the beach (with your laptop) 😉 Harry N.– Thank you for that last minute call – when we were signing the closing documents. Your patience to answer all of my questions gave me that final reassurance. You’re the best. All in all you are an amazing team! I will highly recommend Zillow Home Loans. With much gratitude, Tammi

Stanley L Klunder Delray Beach, FL

I received excellent service from Zillow particularly from my loan officer Damon B. He was efficient, understanding and did the utmost to guide me through the information needed to have a successful result and approval of my loan. In my experience, Underwriters can be a difficult bunch. I was turned down by my previous company by their underwriters based on the same numbers. Daman and his assistant James M. worked together to make sure the underwriters had the correct information they needed to make a sound judgement. This was not only a positive decision for me but for your company! Sincerely, Stan Klunder

Colleen Smits Boulder City, NV

Damon B was very helpful in my pre-qualification process. He went out of his way to assist me with the process, and was very patient with all my questions. I am still in the process, but I am confident he will make this a much easier process than I had anticipated. Thank you, Damon!

Michele Peterson Pioneer, CA

Andrew K and the team at Zillow were amazing! I can't say enough about the quality of my experience. They were straightforward, answered all of my many questions, and kept me up to date on my loan progress. My loan closed on time, with no surprises. A+ experience!

Megan Stark Mooresville, NC

I am so grateful for ALL of the help and guidance I received from my Loan Officer on this LONG journey of refinancing. I truly would have given up so many times if he hadn't encouraged me and found a way forward. It's truly a gift to have these savings from refinancing, and I appreciate it so much. If I can share about your amazing support and service with your supervisor, please let me know.

Jaime Vega Littleton, CO

Korenn without question is the best loan officer i have ever dealt with and i have sold and bought a few times. He is extremely knowledgable and went above and beyond what one would expect during the home buying process. Korenn stood out because he actually cared about my mortgage needs and was upfront, honest and was always available. Zillow is lucky to have him and if you are looking for a loan officer i would be hard pressed to believe there is anyone better than Korenn!!

Spham321 Renton, WA

Zillow is taking over, and I like it. I've always used Zillow for home browsing but had the pleasure of working with Anthony M. on a refinance with Zillow Home Loans and talk about a seamless process.. I've refinanced in the past and it can be stressful but Zillow Home Loans made it as painless and quick as possible. I've already recommended Zillow Home Loans to a few co-workers and will continue to do so.

Derek Reese Kansas City, KS

I refinanced my home with Arch W. a loan officer and ZHL. I can honestly say it was the easiest process I have ever been through. The online portal was simple to use and Arch made himself available 24/7 to help me with any questions I had along the way. I could tell he actually listened to what I wanted to do and tailored my refinance around my financial goals. 10/10 I would recommend Zillow and Arch for any of your mortgage needs. - Derek Reese

Ken Mobley Virginia Beach, VA

Overall the experience was great. My loan officer, Damon B., was in touch frequently. He was very helpful walking me through the process, reminding me when I had something pending on the web portal, and generally maintaining contact so I always knew that was going on. All documentation and electronic signatures are done thru the web portal, which made the process easy. They even sent a notary to my house for the final closing on my schedule.

Damon Genter La Grange, GA

Darry was a huge help in a very difficult time for me. After my divorce I was unsure on how to proceed. Darry took my information and guided me on what I needed to do to prepare for a mortgage on my own. Once I was ready he made the process painless by explaining every step and keeping me informed throughout the whole process from application to closing. I will recommend his services and Zillow's from now on. Thank you so much for making this simple and painless.

Tony Pearson San Marcos, CA

I was a Realtor(R) for 37 years and Korenn M. is one of the best loan officers I have had the pleasure to work with. His knowledge of loan products and services is extensive and extremely helpful in navigating your way through the loan process. If your looking to purchase a new home or refinance your existing home use Korenn you won't be sorry.

James Torrance, CA

After a short conversation covering what I wanted to accomplish, Scott Z. from Zillow was extremely helpful in providing me with details around my prospective refinance. He does business the right way and I would recommend Scott and Zillow for those shopping for a new mortgage loan.

Edgar Valdivia Decatur, GA

I’d like to thank Cristina M. for making everything possible to help me through out the process of purchasing my first home . I enjoyed working with a great team like Zillow reps going above and beyond guiding me through out the whole way . Very consistent and dedicated ! Thank you !

Don Sutton Philadelphia, PA

With out a doubt zillow was the smoothest easiest experience in buying a home, specially with this being my first time buying. I only heard how buying a home can be a headache and a long process, and it was a process but my provided agent Scott S. made this experience so much better. In the future I will definitely look to them again.

Derek Thornton Bellingham, WA

Process was smooth and quick. Josh was knowledgable and very responsive. He helped us when others wouldn't help on our loan. I would highly recommend Zillow and Josh for any mortgage lending needs you may have.

Mario Campos Katy, TX

I was thinking on starting the journey of buying my first house and Cristina M. really helped me to understand the process and associated costs of doing it in a quick call. It was so helpful

Angela Fleetwood, PA

Zillow and particularly Christina made buying our first home super easy from beginning to end. Received personal emails and messages about our home visits which made it feel someone is truly out there helping us in every way possible. Great company to work with in the future again.

Mark Makinson Charlotte, NC

Charles (Chuck) G. was amazing. He helped me out tremendously. Even through a hurricane destroying the property that I was about to purchase. I could not be happier with the service that I received.

moose72 Muncy, PA

Great to work with they are very helpful and help guide you through the entire loan i recommend them

Stephen Upton Medina, OH

Josh is very professional and yet down to earth. Patient with every question. Quick with responses. We are pleased with our experience with Josh and Zillow.

Mike Power Atlanta, GA

The process was somewhat confusing but the loan specialist Josiah W. made everything more manageable. Everything worked out and everything's okay now.

Nick Seattle, WA

Dealing with Joseph S. was a great experience! We were able to re-finance my house quickly and efficiently! Would definitely recommend him!!

C Hall Richmond, VA

Zillow's application and submission process was incredibly quick, using the info they already store on a house to help save you the time in the initial submission and review.

Nneora Obu Decatur, GA

My loan Officer was Josh W. Zillow Home Loan processing was easy and the response time was great! My overall experience with the company in the processing of my loan was a pleasant one. The Zillow team worked together to deliver my new home. I would definitely recommend Zillow Home Loans!!!

Juan vega New Haven, CT

Overall is a pretty decent company to work with but don’t fall behind your payments because they blew your phone off

Ryan R Bothell, WA

2nd refinance with Zillow and Kaelin A. has been perfect! At this point, I wouldn't do a home loan without using them.

Wanda Nhavilay Antioch, TN

easy painless transaction. I didnt get the house I wanted but this process was smooth

Luke Vaughn Conyers, GA

The customer service was great and quick to respond.